homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Belief and Disbelief in God, Fairies etc (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Belief and Disbelief in God, Fairies etc
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
<snip>what of people like my mate Jim? He simply doesn't think about it at all. He doesn't have discourse about it. But as he doesn't believe in god, he is still technically an atheist.

Well I would only call him an atheist if he positively believes there is no god. If he simply doesn't happen to believe in (a) god, but does not per se exclude the possibility of (a) god - I wouldn't use the word 'atheist' do describe him or 'atheism' to describe his views.
On the contrary. Marvin's mate is probably the most sincere kind of a-theist ('without gods', remember?) — More so than those who, while claiming to live in a godless cosmos, continue to hold all sorts of opinions about gods.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason™:
Truth is, when I've heard people explain why they believe in God, they don't talk about metaphysical realities grounded in observable reality. They talk about some scripture and their personal experience of their god.

I'm not following your objection. If some people explain that what they mean by God is based on evidence you don't find credible, I don't see you have to adopt their meaning or reject the validity of other meanings. If one alternative happens to have a long and consistently affirmed history and is at least plausibly rooted in empirical reality, isn't that a good reason for simply disagreeing about what God means?
quote:
So I don't accept that whether God exists is the difference in my life. I think it has about as much effect on me as whether or not Elvis is alive.
If we have a case we can defend for saying God is not a religious fiction but a feature of our existence (its first cause) then of course we can ignore it. Like we can ignore the existence of Mars or Venus. But if we wish to think or talk about the solar system, it's handy to know the conventional labels for the local planets.

Equally, consideration of how or why we exist is likely to need a label for the first cause of existence, God by long-established convention. Whether that consideration makes consistent sense, and can therefore be practically useful, will depend among other factors on how closely the meaning we associate with the label reflects reality.

Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
This "don't-give-a-shit-ism" concerning God(s) is still a faith position because the "not-giving-shit" is about God, and not about something else.

I think this cuts to the root of the problem, and is why these discussions ultimately never get anywhere. It is the assumption that because the question relates to God it should be treated in a fundamentally different way to any other discussion. Most theists probably believe God is fundamentally different and their philosophical groundrules reflect that, but that does not give them universal validity and it is no reason why anyone else should also start from that position or be required to work within those groundrules. But that is what you seem to be demanding.

"Don't-give-a-shit-ism" is not a faith position. It may well be a "position regarding a faith" as long as position is not taken to imply the result of deliberation. It is not a faith position with the implication that it is a position reached by means of faith.

From past experience statements that atheism is a faith/faith position usually have an ulterior motive. It is to point the finger and say "you see, atheism is as much a faith/faith position as my Christianity, so atheists are delusional/irrational/hypocritical. I win." I can't help looking across to the Dawkins take on Christianity which is always so quickly dismissed as a strawman.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry, Squibs, but your "desire to put people into nice, neat categories so you can more easily dismiss them" is showing.

Why is that line in quotes? What you wrote is a pathetic fabrication of my position. If you want to have a discussion I'm all ears. If you want to play silly games then I am not interested in pursuing this conversation any further.

quote:
I don't consider myself to be an atheist. But like you said (which was my point), you consider me so, just like you consider me to be a homo sapien even if I don't. But that's the problem, because then you've worked up a list of attributes that go with "atheist", faith positions, philosophical points of view, etc. that may or may not apply to me.

It is funny that you accuse me of all sort of things, yet you haven't bothered to answer my question. I'll ask again: what are you?

No only do I object to your opening slur, I also find your insistence that I have drawn up a "list of attributes that go with atheist" to be inaccurate assumption on your part. I've stuck to the common understanding of the word, and I have even supplied a dictionary link which defined an atheist as "a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings". That it all I am taking about. So when you accuse me of having "worked up a list", I think that you are actually talking about what you have done.

quote:
So then, when I say, "I don't have any delusions that I've categorically disproven God, or that there is 'no evidence'," you scratch your head and ask, "Sorry, but what are you then? It might help me to understand."

It's a semantic hamster wheel.

You: Atheists are people who don't believe there is a god.
Me: Ok.
You: Do you believe there is a god?
Me: I haven't experienced much good evidence for it, no.
You: Aha! You're an atheist then.
Me: Maybe? I don't really know.
You: See, friends, he's an atheist. And atheists are x, y, and z.
Me: Wait, I'm not really x or z.
You: Oh yes you are, you're an atheist, remember?
Me: If that's what makes someone an atheist, than I guess I'm not one.
You: Well, wait a minute then. So you believe there is a god?
Me: Oh, well, I haven't experienced much good evidence for that, no.

I'm not sure what this imaginary conversation is supposed to prove. After cutting through the needless verbiage, it seems to me that you are still saying, "No, I don't believe in God."

(Again, I feel that I must clarify my position because you either don't understand what I am say or you don't understand what atheism means. Atheists are not x, y and z. Atheist simply don't believe in the existence of God(s).)

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ingo, your definition of "clear" is probably an obscured, philosophical one. Truth is, when I've heard people explain why they believe in God, they don't talk about metaphysical realities grounded in observable reality. They talk about some scripture and their personal experience of their god.

It's irrelevant how most people have motivated their belief in God to you. All I'm saying is that metaphysical evidence is available for God but not for fairies. Hence belief in fairies and in God are not equivalent. This remains true even if most people never make use of metaphysical evidence.

quote:
No, you didn't, and it sort of seems like you're just deliberately ignoring the point, so I'll skip that.

Yes, I did. To put it in more practical terms: I think it is possible to be in a state of largely innocent ignorance and apathy about God. I think many people nowadays are in this state. I do not consider them as atheists, properly speaking (just as I do not consider children to be teetotalers, properly speaking). You on the other hand are not innocent about God, and you are perhaps an atheist. (What kind of atheist I don't know.) You cannot return to a state of childish ignorance and apathy about God. Just as one cannot "just not drink alcohol", after being a regular drinker. As a former drinker, you simply become a teetotaler by not drinking any alcohol (assuming of course that you could drink, if you wanted to). You may become a very low-key teetotaler, but you cannot undo your experience of drinking anymore.

quote:
I'm not sure I know what you mean, but maybe you're too concerned about being intellectual?

Maybe. But then maybe not.

quote:
You don't really mean "if God is alive", you mean "if God is alive and I'm right about everything that means".

No. Your only way of being easy about the possible existence of God is by assuming a certain theology, e.g., by making the assumption that God is distant and does not care anyhow what you do. But then you are actually a believer of sorts, namely in an "atheism-tolerant" god. You cannot possibly be comfortable about the existence of a god as such, because among the many possibilities what a god could be like there are plenty that could make your (after-)life highly unpleasant. A real atheist does not care about this, because he considers the number of possibilities for the existence of a god to be precisely zero. If you do not say that, and nevertheless are comfortable about denying god, then you are either confused or in fact a believer (possibly a believer in something vague, but a believer nonetheless).

quote:
It made no difference whatsoever, so there really was just no point for me to keep pretending all those things, based on my experiences.

What are you talking about? You actually listed all the differences that it made, and you are acutely aware of having stopped with all that.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
quote:
This "don't-give-a-shit-ism" concerning God(s) is still a faith position because the "not-giving-shit" is about God, and not about something else.

I think this cuts to the root of the problem, and is why these discussions ultimately never get anywhere. It is the assumption that because the question relates to God it should be treated in a fundamentally different way to any other discussion. Most theists probably believe God is fundamentally different and their philosophical groundrules reflect that, but that does not give them universal validity and it is no reason why anyone else should also start from that position or be required to work within those groundrules. But that is what you seem to be demanding.
On the contrary, I'm suggesting that atheism should be subject to the same discursive conventions as other philosophies and/or religions. I say this because atheism (particularly of the Dawkins variety) is intentionally seeking to make itself heard in the realm of philosophical - and not scientific - discourse.

quote:
"Don't-give-a-shit-ism" is not a faith position. It may well be a "position regarding a faith" as long as position is not taken to imply the result of deliberation. It is not a faith position with the implication that it is a position reached by means of faith.
I think it is a faith position inasmuch as it is founded on a specific belief concerning God. The belief that the existence or indeed non-existence of God is irrelevant to the subject. As a theological belief it could best be described as apathy because the subject claims to have no feelings either way concerning God's existence. "Don't-give-a-shitism" as a faith position actually turns out to be the belief that the subjects feelings concerning a particular metaphysical and existential question are the way in which the relevance of the question is determined.

But the truth of the matter is this. My ambivalence concerning a particular issue has no bearing whatsoever on how important that issue actually is. There are thousands of issue about which I am apathetic and ambivalent., but I'm not arrogant enough to believe that my ambivalence has any objective bearing on how important the issue actually is.

[ 05. March 2010, 15:00: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squibs:
It is funny that you accuse me of all sort of things, yet you haven't bothered to answer my question. I'll ask again: what are you?

I'm a who, actually. My name is Jason. I don't know how to answer your question any better than that. Sorry if that makes you angry.

quote:
After cutting through the needless verbiage, it seems to me that you are still saying, "No, I don't believe in God."
This is a pretty good demonstration of what I mean. You want everything to be very simple and neatly aligned into nice boxes. Anything that adds complexity or subtlety to the conversation is "needless verbiage".
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hence belief in fairies and in God are not equivalent.
If people seriously disagree with that, they're idiots. I repeat, the fairy case is often meant for a specific sliver of experience-driven arguments for god. In those cases, it's a valid piece of the argument, even if it's probably too deliberately emotional to generate a good discussion.

If I meet people who are arguing that belief in fairies is philosophically and morally equivalent in every way to belief in god(s), I'll be sure to send them your way.

quote:
You cannot return to a state of childish ignorance and apathy about God. Just as one cannot "just not drink alcohol", after being a regular drinker. As a former drinker, you simply become a teetotaler by not drinking any alcohol (assuming of course that you could drink, if you wanted to). You may become a very low-key teetotaler, but you cannot undo your experience of drinking anymore.
You're still ignoring the point (willfully or not, I don't know) about action. The island example is about the irrelevance of a belief without effect. If I can't see any alcohol on the island, and you can't show me any, then why should I care about whether or not it's okay to drink?

quote:
No. Your only way of being easy about the possible existence of God is by assuming a certain theology, e.g., by making the assumption that God is distant and does not care anyhow what you do. But then you are actually a believer of sorts, namely in an "atheism-tolerant" god.
No, I don't have to assume any of that. The assumption I'm making is that if a god exists and I should be doing something about that, it'll be clear to me. I don't have to list out the possible options of what that looks like.

quote:
You cannot possibly be comfortable about the existence of a god as such, because among the many possibilities what a god could be like there are plenty that could make your (after-)life highly unpleasant.
Aside: bringing it up like this just makes it so damn obvious what the point of the hell teaching is, doesn't it?

If I lived my life trying to accommodate every potentially threatening thing that could someday happen to me, not only in this life but also after I die, my life would quickly become miserable at best and unmanageable at worst. So no, I'm not spending my nights wondering about what a possible God might do to torture me after I die. Like I said, whatever god exists, if they have demands, will make them clear. Some people will say, "But they're not demands, they're helpful pieces of advice about how to live life to the fullest." And I like that, except that I'm living live to fullerest I've ever lived in these last two years, so it's just not my experience.

quote:
If you do not say that, and nevertheless are comfortable about denying god, then you are either confused or in fact a believer (possibly a believer in something vague, but a believer nonetheless).
Those are some nice categories. Maybe I fit in one. Can't be sure. What's denying god?

quote:
What are you talking about? You actually listed all the differences that it made, and you are acutely aware of having stopped with all that.
Back to the island teetotalers:

Even if you get the other teetotalers together on the island for a weekly meeting to sing songs about the evils of alcohol, and you come to me and say, "See? If you believed that it's wrong to drink, you'd come to our meetings and there'd be a difference in your life." Sure, there would be a difference, but for me they're irrelevant differences because I still don't understand why you all are so worried about whether or not it's ok to drink when none of us has any alcohol to drink anyway.

If and when someone discovers some alcohol, then let's talk about whether or not it's ok to drink it, and everything else that will lead to. Until then, I'm over here eating coconuts and not caring.

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
If we have a case we can defend for saying God is not a religious fiction but a feature of our existence (its first cause) then of course we can ignore it. Like we can ignore the existence of Mars or Venus. But if we wish to think or talk about the solar system, it's handy to know the conventional labels for the local planets.

Equally, consideration of how or why we exist is likely to need a label for the first cause of existence, God by long-established convention. Whether that consideration makes consistent sense, and can therefore be practically useful, will depend among other factors on how closely the meaning we associate with the label reflects reality.

I think you've abstracted it so far here that you've made my case for me. At the point you're talking about, there's little to no relevance to my daily life coming from whether or not the first-cause of all existence is called God or Zorbuxx or STARTFORCE™.

[ 05. March 2010, 15:55: Message edited by: Jason™ ]

Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At the point you're talking about, there's little to no relevance to my daily life coming from whether or not the first-cause of all existence is called God or Zorbuxx or STARTFORCE™.

If you're not interested in metaphysics then obviously you can just ignore such things. It means, though, that if others justify opinions about morality or whatever by reference to their understanding of God, you have no basis for dialogue. Given the widespread prevalence of some kind of religious belief, I'm not sure why you'd think that was a good thing.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm a who, actually. My name is Jason. I don't know how to answer your question any better than that. Sorry if that makes you angry.
I think the question - and I'm not trying to be funny, I genuinely don't see the problem - is why you are so insistent not to be referred to as an atheist when as far as I can see you match up to the dictionary definition.

It's as though I objected to being called "dark-haired". I don't get to choose whether or not to be described as "dark-haired" - I am dark-haired, that's how the English language works.

It feels rather like one of those heated arguments over whether the city in Northern Ireland is called "Derry" or "Londonderry". The point is that it doesn't actually matter in itself, but it's being used as a proxy for some deeper conflict. But in this case I can't see what the deeper conflict is.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So am I to that it that you are unable to answer the question? BTW, why on earth would it make me angry?

quote:
Originally posted by Jason™:This is a pretty good demonstration of what I mean. You want everything to be very simple and neatly aligned into nice boxes. Anything that adds complexity or subtlety to the conversation is "needless verbiage".
So you say! I was initially talking about people who happily identify with the term atheist. After a few posts you succeeded in turning this general debate into a debate about yourself, and you now presume that you have managed to figure me out.

In reality, I rather think you have imposed your own negative associations with atheism on this thread and have even tried to pass them off as my own. Atheism is not x, y and z, atheism is simply the non-belief in God(s). All in all, I find the personal nature of your your last couple of posts to be underhanded and objectionable.

As for needless verbiage, I found your imaginary conversation to be preposterous. Firstly, it was a cheap caricature of my position. Secondly, at root you admitted that you don't believe in God. Forgive the difficulty that I'm having with this, but in light of the definition of what an atheist is - something which has been repeated on a number of occasions - I've asked for clarification about why you don't fit that category.

The response: you have refused to answer the question, and instead you have accused me of "strongarming" the definition of atheism (one that came out of a shagging dictionary); you have claimed that I've got some sort of atheist attribute list; and, finally, you have attempted to speak for me - even to the point of putting something I never said in quotes.

[ 05. March 2010, 18:39: Message edited by: Squibs ]

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
redderfreak
Shipmate
# 15191

- Posted      Profile for redderfreak   Author's homepage   Email redderfreak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If atheists are right and there is no god, we'll never know. Because we'll be dead.

I don't know how Richard Dawkins can say that there probably isn't a god, as if it's a scientific statement. Does he mean that the probability that there is a god is only 32%, or something like that?
[Confused]

--------------------
You know I just couldn't make it by myself, I'm a little too blind to see

Posts: 287 | From: Exeter | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No more than he can say "There is no God." All he can really say is "I don't believe there is a God" to which the proper response is "that's nice. Who the fuck are you and why should your beliefs have anything to do with how I live my life?"

So he goes with the fudge "there probably isn't a God" because, at bottom, it sells better. Even atheists will lie to push their product.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
No more than he can say "There is no God." All he can really say is "I don't believe there is a God" to which the proper response is "that's nice. Who the fuck are you and why should your beliefs have anything to do with how I live my life?"

I've found that it's usually those who believe in God who are much more active in telling other people how to live their lives.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew you'd miss the point.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redderfreak:
I don't know how Richard Dawkins can say that there probably isn't a god, as if it's a scientific statement.

Neither do I. Atheism, ISTM, is a philosophy masquerading as science. It claims scientific objectivity while simultaneously promulgating its ideas using the language of philosophy. In this respect it is deeply disingenuous because it attempts to present its claims as scientific in order to seduce people. In reality however, the philosophical claims of atheism are exactly the same as the scientifically unsubstantiated claims of any other faith position.

[ 05. March 2010, 22:17: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

I've found that it's usually those who believe in God who are much more active in telling other people how to live their lives.
AFAIK Alpha International's advertising agency simply asks questions during the annual Alpha Campaign. It's the Atheists that actually give people public advice.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I meet people who are arguing that belief in fairies is philosophically and morally equivalent in every way to belief in god(s), I'll be sure to send them your way.

I don't know if I can accommodate such a crowd...

quote:
You're still ignoring the point (willfully or not, I don't know) about action. The island example is about the irrelevance of a belief without effect. If I can't see any alcohol on the island, and you can't show me any, then why should I care about whether or not it's okay to drink?

Well, God doesn't come in bottles. One can see Him intellectually to a limited degree, but you do not seem interested in that. The other way is much better, but subtle. It has to do with "church stuff", but only like electricity has to do with wires and batteries. I can't put it in better words than this (probably my favorite passage in the OT):
quote:
1 Kings 19:11-13 (RSV-CE):
And he said, "Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord." And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him, and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

One can do a lot of God-related things that remain caught up with the strong wind, the earthquake and the fire. But then one day one discovers that the Lord is just not there.

quote:
The assumption I'm making is that if a god exists and I should be doing something about that, it'll be clear to me.

That's a remarkable assumption indeed! Can you name anything else in your life where clarity about what needed to be done similarly descended onto you spontaneously and with perfect timing?

quote:
Aside: bringing it up like this just makes it so damn obvious what the point of the hell teaching is, doesn't it?

Indeed, the point of hell is that your current life is ultimately meaningful. Without hell, your current life is a ultimately just pointless waiting.

quote:
Like I said, whatever god exists, if they have demands, will make them clear. Some people will say, "But they're not demands, they're helpful pieces of advice about how to live life to the fullest." And I like that, except that I'm living live to fullerest I've ever lived in these last two years, so it's just not my experience.

Well, these people are doubly wrong. First, there definitely are demands, and second, those demands have to do with living life to the fullest. But anyway, it seems to me that right here there's a big gaping hole in the life story you have constructed for yourself. For it can hardly be doubted that most religions do have clear lists of demands for your perusal. Hence you cannot claim to reject those religions because of a lack of clear demands. Rather you reject them first, and therefore then their demands. And since you do that indiscriminately, you are furthermore implicitly saying that clear demands of a god cannot come to you through the agency of a religion. Rather, you apparently expect the Archangel Gabriel to appear to you and respectfully hand you your personalized list of commandments, or something like that. Is that a realistic attitude?

quote:
If and when someone discovers some alcohol, then let's talk about whether or not it's ok to drink it, and everything else that will lead to. Until then, I'm over here eating coconuts and not caring.

You are rather sitting there in a corner saying "I'm not interested in all that intellectual talk about brewing. And no, I don't want to taste any fermented fruit juice. I'm eating no mold either, am I now? Either bring me this 'alcohol' you keep going on about, or leave me alone already. I'm perfectly fine with these coconuts. No, go away, I'll not let you help me ferment those perfectly fine coconuts! What on earth is wrong with you?"

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to butt in, but I've just revisited something I posted way back and subsequently forgot about. It seems to have attracted a few responses...
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
I haved coined the word 'SUMIST' - as in 'cogito ergo sum' to express a position which begins with a belief in the only thing one can be sure of - the self which holds the belief.

Isn't that a rather strange starting point for a Buddhist?
I think Buddhists can start anywhere - in fact, they have to start where they are, even if that leaves them with a concept of self that much modern science and philosophy is undercutting....
Quite. If I didn't exist, there would be no ‘me’ to consider the truth of Buddhism. Though the idea of Buddhism being undercut by modern science and philosophy isn't something I recognise: quite the opposite, in fact.

-------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:

Atheists are keen to suggest that atheism is a "default position". But there is no neutral worldview - each is in equal need of being measured up to reality.

It ought to be a default position, but it isn't.

Atheists make the case that everyone is born with no intrinsic beliefs; beliefs are acquired from later social influences.

Some atheists make that case. Some atheists, e.g. Steven Pinker wrote a book, The Blank Slate, to refute the idea that we start as blank slates.
I suppose the claim is true in just the same sense that it's true that everyone is born with no intrinsic language; language is acquired from later social influences.

Saying atheism ought to be the default worldview is like saying that 'non-Indo-European language ought to be the default language'.

It isn't. It's like saying no language ought to be (nor is) the default. As you point out, language (all language) is acquired from later social influences. So it is also with belief systems.

quote:
quote:
I haved coined the word 'SUMIST' - as in 'cogito ergo sum' to express a position which begins with a belief in the only thing one can be sure of - the self which holds the belief.
I can't be sure of the self; neither can you. The self, defined as the only thing that one can be sure of, turns out on examination to be incoherent. It doesn't exist. The best you can do is something like Galen Strawson's idea that I am a different self now than the self that first read your post - and you, as you read this, are a completely different self from the 'kankucho' to whom I am replying. That's a shifting sand from which to start.
I cross the River Thames twice during every working day. The water I cross over is never the same stuff twice. Unfathomably huge amounts of molecules flow by each moment, and are constantly replaced by others. But, for all that, it is always the River Thames.

quote:
Your actual self - rather than the non-existent artifact of misguided philosophising that you're talking about - is grown as a result of later social influences. It's not a default.
(Of course, the concept of the artifact of misguided philosophising is also acquired from later social influences in a different sense.)

On the contrary: philosophy, misguided or otherwise, is just one among many ‘later social influences’. Everything I learn, all the philosophising I may do, and the influences to which I am subject, are like the ‘impermanent’ water constantly flowing through it. But my actual self is like the river. Always the river; always the central locus of consciousness (or ’ sum’, as my suggested expression would have it) which encounters and interacts with all this.
quote:
Originally written by Nichiren:
If you truly fear the sufferings of birth and death and yearn for nirvana, if you carry out your faith and thirst for the way, then the sufferings of change and impermanence will become no more than yesterday’s dream, and the awakening of enlightenment will become today’s reality.

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

quote:
Sorry to butt in, but I've just revisited something I posted way back and subsequently forgot about. It seems to have attracted a few responses...
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
quote:

Isn't that a rather strange starting point for a Buddhist?
I think Buddhists can start anywhere - in fact, they have to start where they are, even if that leaves them with a concept of self that much modern science and philosophy is undercutting....
Quite. If I didn't exist, there would be no ‘me’ to consider the truth of Buddhism. Though the idea of Buddhism being undercut by modern science and philosophy isn't something I recognise: quite the opposite, in fact.

-------------------------------------------------
quote:
quote:
quote:

Atheists are keen to suggest that atheism is a "default position". But there is no neutral worldview - each is in equal need of being measured up to reality.

It ought to be a default position, but it isn't.

Atheists make the case that everyone is born with no intrinsic beliefs; beliefs are acquired from later social influences.

Some atheists make that case. Some atheists, e.g. Steven Pinker wrote a book, The Blank Slate, to refute the idea that we start as blank slates.
I suppose the claim is true in just the same sense that it's true that everyone is born with no intrinsic language; language is acquired from later social influences.

Saying atheism ought to be the default worldview is like saying that 'non-Indo-European language ought to be the default language'.

It isn't. It's like saying no language ought to be (nor is) the default. As you point out, language (all language) is acquired from later social influences. So it is also with belief systems.

quote:
quote:
I can't be sure of the self; neither can you. The self, defined as the only thing that one can be sure of, turns out on examination to be incoherent. It doesn't exist. The best you can do is something like Galen Strawson's idea that I am a different self now than the self that first read your post - and you, as you read this, are a completely different self from the 'kankucho' to whom I am replying. That's a shifting sand from which to start.
I cross the River Thames twice during every working day. The water I cross over is never the same stuff twice. Unfathomably huge amounts of molecules flow by each moment, and are constantly replaced by others. But, for all that, it is always the River Thames. And, whenever I cross it, it is always me that does so.

quote:
Your actual self - rather than the non-existent artifact of misguided philosophising that you're talking about - is grown as a result of later social influences. It's not a default.
(Of course, the concept of the artifact of misguided philosophising is also acquired from later social influences in a different sense.)

On the contrary: philosophy, misguided or otherwise, is just one among many ‘later social influences’. Everything I learn, all the philosophising I may do, and the influences to which I am subject, are like the ‘impermanent’ water constantly flowing through it. But my actual self is like the river. Always the river; always the central locus of consciousness (or ’ sum’, as my suggested expression would have it) which encounters and interacts with all this.
quote:
If you truly fear the sufferings of birth and death and yearn for nirvana, if you carry out your faith and thirst for the way, then the sufferings of change and impermanence will become no more than yesterday’s dream, and the awakening of enlightenment will become today’s reality.

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

Sorry -- I accidentally 'replied' rather than 'edited' there. See if you can spot the difference. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

As there are atheist belief systems, 'atheism ought not to be the default' does not mean 'no belief system ought to be the default'.

Also, what exactly does 'no language ought to be the default' mean?

If it means we shouldn't have prejudices against any language - no language should have a burden of justification, the equivalent is we shouldn't have prejudices against any belief system; belief systems don't need any initial justification.
If it means that we should reject all language until we are presented with a reason to adopt a particular language, then it's clearly ridiculous.

quote:
quote:
quote:
I cross the River Thames twice during every working day. The water I cross over is never the same stuff twice. Unfathomably huge amounts of molecules flow by each moment, and are constantly replaced by others. But, for all that, it is always the River Thames.
You defined the self as the one thing that you can be completely certain of.
The River Thames is nothing like such a thing. For example, are the Kennet, the Fleet, the Isis, the Medway part of the River Thames or not? If you came across the Isis as part of a random walk through England you would not be able immediately to recognise whether it was the same river as the Thames in London.

quote:
quote:

Yet without the water, there is no river. There's just another dry valley. You can't distinguish between the water and the river.

You've made three propositions here.
1) You have an actual self, the central locus of consciousness.
2) The actual self is distinct from all the influences which it encounters and interacts with.
3) You can be completely certain of this actual self, and of nothing else.

The only thing of which you are ever directly aware is that learning, philosophising, and so on. If you define the self as the self that is aware of them, then by definition you're never aware of your self. You therefore have no direct evidence for this actual self, let alone that you have an actual self that is something other than, standing apart from, the experiences with which it interacts. Nor could you. Therefore, you cannot be certain of it. Certainly, you can know nothing about what it is, or its nature - whether it is one thing or several, whether it is a pattern in your brain or something other, whether it is the same as other people's selves or unique.

It is only because of the influences upon you that you can become aware of the self at all.
And this casts doubt on your claim that it is something distinct from the influences upon you.

The truth is that we only become aware of ourselves because we are addressed by others. To distinguish between ourselves and others we need to think the difference, and we cannot think ourselves except by some representation: a name or pronoun. It is only as our mothers, or perhaps fathers or grandparents or others, call us by name that we learn that we are.

quote:
quote:

So, you believe in your actual self because of Nichiren? You acquired your belief in it because of the social influences of Nichiren's philosophy and other teachers?
(Not that the passage you quote seems to me to have anything to do with the idea of a self.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I might have done some deleting which makes the quotes wrong....apologies if so.

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
Proselytizers will sometimes urge wannabe Christians to take "a leap of faith" - when reason doesn't provide adequate answers.

I disagree. That would be counter-productive, surely? It is only necessary to recommend that any supernatural belief be subjected to testing in order to see if it stands up to such scrutiny. Even if it does not, at this present time then it should not be attributed to God, but left under, 'We don't know' heading for now. A 'leap of faith' should not be one of the tests. I suppose it could be used as an argument: You ask me to take a leap of faith into belief in God, and I know how to do that as I was a believer, so put yourself in my position and see it from my point of view. This does of course mean that the final, very small indeed (I will refrain from saying 'vanishingly' [Smile] possibility that a God exists has to remain in the picture. Since it has in fact been this way for millenia, then I definitely choose to discount it.
quote:
How sensible does that sound? How useful? I think I am now atheist, though I still use the now "foreign language" of religion to make a point from time to time. Some things just don't translate too well from one language to another.
Yes, but that is because it is part of our culture, and to try and create new words to take their places just wouldn't work.
quote:
I now think as an atheist. I don't feel "liberated" or frightened by this.
For me, it's wholeness.
quote:
There will always be people who can achieve things that I cannot, and if some of those things are the useful, healthy, compassionate outcome of their religious beliefs, why should I not applaud them?
Agreed, of course. However, I would love to see them realise that everything they have done or thought in their lives has been done by themselves. In fact, they have been much stronger etc because they have thought they derived strength and support from the God they believe in, but it has all been their own strength and capabilities all along.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
I wonder if it makes any difference to go at this question -- whether elements of something faith-like form part of atheism -- from a different angle.

Faith-like, in that we can rely on things to be and to happen because they have stood up to the test of time. They could suddenly change, but the possibility is remote and, as an atheist, I would certainly wait for a scientific, rational answer.
quote:
Would most people who answer to "atheist" agree that they are materialists, at least in the sense of assuming that the universe consists solely of that which can be (or can eventually be) observed, sensed, tested, and/or measured?
Yes! However, all aspects of our minds, thoughts, emotions, instincts, etc have material, chemical, neurological etc causes, but can only be studied in situ! I love to hear about new discoveries being made about the mind, but even when today's questions are reasonably well understood, I suppose there will always be some more questions to be raised. There will never, though, be a need for a God to explain them, as far as I am concerned. And I shall not be here to see them... botheration!
quote:
Perhaps it's simply a way of stating that the universe is ultimately explicable.
Couldn't agree more!
quote:
The opposing view would seem to be that there's an "extra" component of the universe for those who believe in God,...
How can there be an 'extra component' separate from the imagination, I wonder? With the amount of knowledge already available about how the universe is made up, with billions of galaxies, not just billions of stars, God can no longer be considered rationally to be 'all around us (as I was told as a child).
quote:
fairies, tree-sprites, etc., and that "extra" is the inexplicable (or singular, or anomalous). . . sorry. I like it here, but maybe I'm having trouble with the jargon.
The thing is that if one substitutes FSM, or 'colin the leprachaun', for the word God in discussion about religious belief, then it is just as valid as the word God, since neither has any substance or manifestation. The word God though has had far more time to become embedded in the world's thinking.

This is where Christians might well bring in Jesus, but, if he lived, and I have no reason to doubt that he did, he was a normal, human man.
quote:
Personally, I'm hung about midway between the two camps and can't reconcile. Camped at one end for several years; now sitting in t'other camp.
May I recommend a browse through the BBC Christian Topic message board? Look out for James42 at one end of the spectrum and bluehillside at the other! The latter knows his philosophy back to front and sideways.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

quote:

As there are atheist belief systems, 'atheism ought not to be the default' does not mean 'no belief system ought to be the default'.
Also, what exactly does 'no language ought to be the default' mean? .

So-called atheist belief systems, including that proposed by your Mr Pinker, are applied ways of perceiving the universe to be without gods. As such, they vie for space in the non-default intellect along with god-oriented beliefs. But a newly born child has no conception even of what gods are until it has learned some rudimentary language skills and is presented with a concept, usually by its closest kin. As such, the newly born consciousness is innately atheist (without gods). 'No language ought to be the default' means that it is nonsense to think that a child is born with a head full of a 'default' language. I'm not sure why you're objecting to this point. It was your own argument that 'language is acquired from later social influences'. I'm just agreeing with you. The same is true of externally locused beliefs.
quote:
If it means we shouldn't have prejudices against any language - no language should have a burden of justification, the equivalent is we shouldn't have prejudices against any belief system; belief systems don't need any initial justification.
If it means that we should reject all language until we are presented with a reason to adopt a particular language, then it's clearly ridiculous. .

Prejudice doesn’t come into it. Newly manifest loci of consciousness (alright then, babies) assimilate belief systems that are presented to them, just as they do language.
quote:

The River Thames is nothing like such a thing. For example, are the Kennet, the Fleet, the Isis, the Medway part of the River Thames or not? If you came across the Isis as part of a random walk through England you would not be able immediately to recognise whether it was the same river as the Thames in London.

The river metaphor is just to indicate how something that is constantly changing can also be a constant entity. So it is with conscious life. In my fumbled attempt at editing the post, I added when I cross the Thames, it is always me doing the crossing. I’m carrying different experiences, possibly in a different frame of mind, but it’s most definitely me crossing the river. Also, at those times, the river itself is within my sphere of perception and, as such, becomes a part of me and my consciousness.
Whether I, as an observer, recognise a stretch of river as 'the Thames' doesn’t really matter, except when I need a convenient marker for finding Borough station. The Thames is what the Thames is. Most likely it doesn’t know it’s called the Thames; it just gets on with the business of flowing through London because that's where it is and that's what it does. 'Are the Kennet, the Fleet, the Isis, the Medway part of the River Thames?' That’s a good question. Of course, the boundaries are quite arbitrarily declared by entities outside of themselves. But, essentially, they're all parts of the same thing. You also offer, 'you can't distinguish between the water and the river'. That’s entirely true, IMO. The provisional, constantly changing, aspect is integral to the entity as a whole. Are you sure you're not a Buddhist at heart? [Biased]
quote:

You've made three propositions here.
1) You have an actual self, the central locus of consciousness.
2) The actual self is distinct from all the influences which it encounters and interacts with.
3) You can be completely certain of this actual self, and of nothing else.

The only thing of which you are ever directly aware is that learning, philosophising, and so on. If you define the self as the self that is aware of them, then by definition you're never aware of your self. You therefore have no direct evidence for this actual self, let alone that you have an actual self that is something other than, standing apart from, the experiences with which it interacts..... .

To No 1) I don’t have a self. Self is what I am (sum). I admit to having used possessives in relation to self for convenience though. Sorry if I’ve confused you with that. There are people looking in on this forum who hold the view that life/consciousness/self-status is a gift that God has bestowed upon them as some kind of previously existing but non-living, non-conscious, non-self imbued entity. So maybe I should be more careful about my choice of phrase.
To No 2) Does my expanded river analogy show that I dont entirely hold to that proposition? It is and it isnt. In a related vein, is the Holy Trinity three things, or just one?
To No 3) Agreed. But I won't worry about that because I can't possibly be wrong in believing myself to exist. If I were, then I wouldn't be here to be wrong about it. Everything outside of a conscious entity being conscious of itself is an acquisition which we invest with varying degrees of reliability. That includes, God, Jesus, Nichiren and enough information about the Thames to get us to the Borough station every day.
Where would you suggest I go looking for indisputable evidence of myself, other than myself?
quote:

So, you believe in your actual self because of Nichiren? You acquired your belief in it because of the social influences of Nichiren's philosophy and other teachers?
(Not that the passage you quote seems to me to have anything to do with the idea of a self.) .

I may have posted that quote a little far from its context. I was somewhat taken aback by your earlier contention that: 'your actual self - rather than the non-existent artefact of misguided philosophising that you're talking about - is grown as a result of later social influences.'
To my mind, which I happily confess has been strongly influenced by Nichiren, it is precisely the acquired, non-innate aspects of life which disappear at the time of physical death. The essential self only entertains such things for as long as manifest social and environmental existence lends them some purpose. I would have thought there would be some parallel to this in the Christian idea. Isn't it the essential self that's supposed to take its place Up There? The Hereafter is going to be a pretty unpleasant place if we're going take all our acquired social and psychological baggage with us – together with all that experience of ageing and sickness. Surely the new body promised in the Christian retirement home brochures comes complete with a free and unencumbered mind? (Remember how the water is indistinguishable from the river?). And I for one wouldn't relish having to spend all eternity trying to persuade all the born-agains that the choir celestial hasn't been infiltrated by communists.

[ 06. March 2010, 17:03: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
I think this cuts to the root of the problem, and is why these discussions ultimately never get anywhere. It is the assumption that because the question relates to God it should be treated in a fundamentally different way to any other discussion. Most theists probably believe God is fundamentally different and their philosophical groundrules reflect that, but that does not give them universal validity and it is no reason why anyone else should also start from that position or be required to work within those groundrules.

Hmmm, very interesting.

As the whole thread has been. I have been spending quite a time here this afternoon, reading through and it is such a pleasure to do so and to take part occasionally.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
If atheists are right and there is no god, we'll never know. Because we'll be dead.

I don't know how Richard Dawkins can say that there probably isn't a god, as if it's a scientific statement. Does he mean that the probability that there is a god is only 32%, or something like that?
[Confused]

I was at a conference last October where Ariane Sherine was one of the speakers and she gave us the whole story of the campaign.

One of the reasons I thought it was pitched exactly right was that it did not try to hit people over the head with the information, but provided an easy-to-remember slogan which also made people smile.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
One of the reasons I thought it was pitched exactly right was that it did not try to hit people over the head with the information, but provided an easy-to-remember slogan which also made people smile.

The main reason I disliked it was its exclusivity and glibness which implied a distinct lack of compassion. "Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." is quite a bourgeois, 'first' world response.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

Redux. (Am I allowed to do this? [Paranoid] )

quote:

Just to clarify: I believe in my actual self for the reasons I stated in my previous post, and already believed myself to exist long before I encountered his take on the nature of existence. Somewhere along the line, I learned that Descartes had coined a pithy expression of that idea. The Buddhism of Nichiren is the structure through which I apply this very helpful notion, and certain others, to assessing degrees of truth and value in daily life. It works rather well, in my experience.

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:

The main reason I disliked it was its exclusivity and glibness which implied a distinct lack of compassion. "Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." is quite a bourgeois, 'first' world response.
And as far as the second proposition goes Dawkins is plagarist anyway.
quote:
Which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? - Jesus of Nazareth
I guess the question is who has the best claim to reliability concerning the ground of the proposition, Richard or Jesus? History suggests the latter.
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

I was at a conference last October where Ariane Sherine was one of the speakers and she gave us the whole story of the campaign.

I thought part of the reason the 'probably' had been included was to satisfy the ASA who do not allow unprovable claims in advertising.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Carys
Yes, I think you are right that it was oneof the reasons.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Also, what exactly does 'no language ought to be the default' mean?

So-called atheist belief systems, including that proposed by your Mr Pinker, are applied ways of perceiving the universe to be without gods. As such, they vie for space in the non-default intellect along with god-oriented beliefs. But a newly born child has no conception even of what gods are until it has learned some rudimentary language skills and is presented with a concept, usually by its closest kin. As such, the newly born consciousness is innately atheist (without gods).
A newly born infant barely has a consciousness. It is only as it acquires the concept of itself from external beliefs, that the child becomes conscious of itself and thereby awakens fully into consciousness.
Describing its consciousness as atheist is like describing its baby teeth as colourless: it barely has either teeth or consciousness.

In any case, the "atheism" of the child has no normative significance for adult minds, or even for child-raising.

quote:
'No language ought to be the default' means that it is nonsense to think that a child is born with a head full of a 'default' language. I'm not sure why you're objecting to this point. It was your own argument that 'language is acquired from later social influences'. I'm just agreeing with you. The same is true of externally locused beliefs.
Maybe the reason you're not sure why I'm objecting to the point that I made is that I'm not objecting to that point?
The question, however, is whether this has any significance at all for how we should bring up children or form our beliefs, and the answer is that it is of no significance whatsoever.

quote:
quote:

The river metaphor is just to indicate how something that is constantly changing can also be a constant entity. So it is with conscious life. In my fumbled attempt at editing the post, I added when I cross the Thames, it is always me doing the crossing. I’m carrying different experiences, possibly in a different frame of mind, but it’s most definitely me crossing the river.
You are crossing the river if and only if your physical body is crossing the river. Your consciousness has no power to cross the river without your physical body. You can imagine crossing the river, or remember crossing the river, but that's not crossing the river. Yet if your body crosses the river, while you're thinking hard about something else and don't notice anything about your surroundings while on the bridge, you have crossed the river.

You are your body. Your body is not your consciousness. If you faint or black out, your consciousness evaporates, yet your body, that is, you remain exactly where you were. You are not your consciousness.

quote:
You also offer, 'you can't distinguish between the water and the river'. That’s entirely true, IMO. The provisional, constantly changing, aspect is integral to the entity as a whole. Are you sure you're not a Buddhist at heart? [Biased]
Now that you say it, I do think I'm closer to being a Buddhist at heart than you are. [Biased]

quote:
To No 3) Agreed. But I won't worry about that because I can't possibly be wrong in believing myself to exist. If I were, then I wouldn't be here to be wrong about it. Everything outside of a conscious entity being conscious of itself is an acquisition which we invest with varying degrees of reliability. That includes, God, Jesus, Nichiren and enough information about the Thames to get us to the Borough station every day.
Where would you suggest I go looking for indisputable evidence of myself, other than myself?

If you're looking for indisputable evidence of anything, you're looking for the wrong thing.
You say your self exists. But what do you mean by that? You don't know what your self is. Merely that it exists. But if you don't know what something is, you don't know what it means to say that it exists. Are you a hive mind, for example? You don't know. Is your consciousness a single conscious entity, or a composite of many micro-consciousnesses? (The evidence suggests the latter.)

Your self is you. You are a historical animal. That is, you exist as an animal, a living body. Because you are a linguistic animal you have a historical past that is of meaning to you. That too is an essential fact about what you are.
Now it is vanishingly unlikely that you could be wrong about that, but then there are a whole lot of other things that you can be equally almost sure of.

quote:
To my mind, which I happily confess has been strongly influenced by Nichiren, it is precisely the acquired, non-innate aspects of life which disappear at the time of physical death. The essential self only entertains such things for as long as manifest social and environmental existence lends them some purpose. I would have thought there would be some parallel to this in the Christian idea. Isn't it the essential self that's supposed to take its place Up There? The Hereafter is going to be a pretty unpleasant place if we're going take all our acquired social and psychological baggage with us – together with all that experience of ageing and sickness. Surely the new body promised in the Christian retirement home brochures comes complete with a free and unencumbered mind? (Remember how the water is indistinguishable from the river?).
What is not acquired, innate? The desperate hunger for milk, the insistent cry to be warm and dry.
What is acquired, non-innate, social and psychological baggage? The feel of air around us; the light on our faces; the taste and feel of food; the awareness of sounds, people talking, birdsong, and music; language, stories, poetry; knowledge and understanding of the physical world, of human history, of the abstract beauty of mathematics; physical exercise, the feeling of a healthy body; friendship; love, of partner, of children.

There are people whose experience of love is such that they would give it up to be rid of the hurt that comes with it. Because the quality of love that they received was distorted. But are they models for the rest of us.

There is no such thing as the essential self distinct from what is acquired. How could such a poor denuded thing go anywhere, let alone to Heaven?

One model: there is part of us that is essential and innate. And then the rest of us that is inessential, non-innate, baggage to be discarded, immigrant, alien, an infection. Everything that is not essential is to be pared away, amputated, cleansed.

Another model: we want to define ourselves. And we can't define ourselves if what we essentially are is acquired. We want to be something that is essentially us so that we have power over ourselves. And so we refuse the sunlight, we refuse to take up the nutrients on which we feed, the pollen from which we create new life. If we let that be part of what is essentially us, then what we essentially are depends on something that is not us. We are other than ourselves. And we refuse that. We grow stunted, twisted, ingrown. And to be healed is not to reject what is stunted and twisted, but to remake it so that it can grow properly. What is wrong with the baggage is not that it is acquired. It's that we didn't want to accept it because it was acquired. And yes, all of what we have acquired from other people was itself stunted and twisted - because those people needed healing too. We are stunted and healed together. Our life, our death, is with our neighbour.

The second model is Christian.

[ 08. March 2010, 01:19: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

The idea that children are born atheist and should therefore be left untainted by religion is flawed. A new-born baby can't wipe it's own backside either. By this reasoning the purest form of personal hygiene would be to let people go on messing their pants for life.
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Marshall:
If you're not interested in metaphysics then obviously you can just ignore such things. It means, though, that if others justify opinions about morality or whatever by reference to their understanding of God, you have no basis for dialogue.

Dave, it sounds like you've confused "interest in" with "devotion to". I'm interested in metaphysics like I'm interested in Greek mythology, utilitarianism, etc. I don't much care if it's true or not and I'm not devoting my life to any of it.

quote:
I was initially talking about people who happily identify with the term atheist. After a few posts you succeeded in turning this general debate into a debate about yourself, and you now presume that you have managed to figure me out. In reality, I rather think you have imposed your own negative associations with atheism on this thread and have even tried to pass them off as my own.

I don't know about all that.

quote:
Atheism is not x, y and z, atheism is simply the non-belief in God(s).
I keep forgetting if it's just not believing that gods exist, or if it's believing that gods don't exist, or if it requires a level of knowledge about the gods that you don't believe in, or what. Sorry, I'm trying to keep up.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
God doesn't come in bottles. One can see Him intellectually to a limited degree, but you do not seem interested in that. The other way is much better, but subtle.

Must we devote our whole lives to a philosophical stance, and then find out at the very end of life whether or not we came to believe it? And if so, how on earth do we choose which one to devote our lives to at the beginning?

Isn't it more realistic to believe that we'd consider a philosophical stance at some length, listen intently to those who care about it deeply, talk, join in to some of the customs, traditions, honestly take part in liturgy, etc. and after a finite amount of time, come to a conclusion about whether or not it resonates as intellectually true? Or even subtly, still-small-voicedly true?

quote:
That's a remarkable assumption indeed! Can you name anything else in your life where clarity about what needed to be done similarly descended onto you spontaneously and with perfect timing?
Who said anything about spontaneously or descending or perfect timing?

quote:
Without hell, your current life is a ultimately just pointless waiting.
A different discussion.

quote:
...most religions do have clear lists of demands for your perusal. Hence you cannot claim to reject those religions because of a lack of clear demands. Rather you reject them first, and therefore then their demands. And since you do that indiscriminately, you are furthermore implicitly saying that clear demands of a god cannot come to you through the agency of a religion. Rather, you apparently expect the Archangel Gabriel to appear to you and respectfully hand you your personalized list of commandments, or something like that. Is that a realistic attitude?
Leaving aside your deliberately sensationalized description of that kind of event, yes, that's a pretty fair description of what I think we should all demand. We've somehow come to accept that these lists of demands, requests, and truths, passed down to us from other humans, are to be completely trusted even when they don't resonate with our experience. Sometimes especially when they go against our experience (which was a really genius move, I admit).

quote:
You are rather sitting there in a corner saying "I'm not interested in all that intellectual talk about brewing. And no, I don't want to taste any fermented fruit juice.
Like I said, I'm interested. And I've tasted. No, I haven't given it my whole life to break through and finally click. If that's what's required, I think I may just miss out. Maybe he'll understand.
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
Atheism, ISTM, is a philosophy masquerading as science. It claims scientific objectivity while simultaneously promulgating its ideas using the language of philosophy. In this respect it is deeply disingenuous because it attempts to present its claims as scientific in order to seduce people. In reality however, the philosophical claims of atheism are exactly the same as the scientifically unsubstantiated claims of any other faith position.

Numpty, I'd like it if you (and Mousetheif, and whoever else) would enter into this discussion with me here knowing I'm not trying to win points, or be abrasive, but to really pose this and hear your response, and with the hope that you'll do the same.

What is the difference, from a scientific standpoint, between saying "There probably is no God" and "Humans probably can't fly"? It sounds like they are both saying something like, "We have little to no scientific evidence that x is true, and we can't scientifically recommend that you make any decisions that assume that x is true, especially if they endanger you or anyone else."

Those statements don't preclude that evidence could emerge, and they don't say whether or not you should believe it outside of a scientific framework. Many discussions and arguments could exist outside of that initial statement, about the pros and cons of believing in x despite having little to no scientific evidence, the benefits of believing, community, morality, etc etc.

Is there a difference you see? Or do you take objection with "Humans probably can't fly", too?

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Those two statements are categorically different, and so much so that the question is rendered nonsensical. The "probably" in the first proposition is essential to its intellectual and philosophical integrity because there is insufficient evidence to justify its omission. The "probably" in the second proposition is entirely superfluous, because there is sufficient evidence to justify its omission.
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:
I keep forgetting if it's just not believing that gods exist, or if it's believing that gods don't exist, or if it requires a level of knowledge about the gods that you don't believe in, or what. Sorry, I'm trying to keep up.

The first two options amount to the same thing and the third related to what I believe would be my position if I were to lose faith - agnosticism. Given that I've twice provided you with a definition of atheism, I can only assume you are acting the tit at this stage.

[ 08. March 2010, 20:35: Message edited by: Squibs ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
What is the difference, from a scientific standpoint, between saying "There probably is no God" and "Humans probably can't fly"? It sounds like they are both saying something like, "We have little to no scientific evidence that x is true, and we can't scientifically recommend that you make any decisions that assume that x is true, especially if they endanger you or anyone else."

It's like we're not even speaking the same language. Saying "It's probable that X" to me says "We can assign a number which represents a probability that X is true." And more, assign it scientifically or mathematically. I don't see anything of a recommendation. That wouldn't be scientific. We're talking about whether or not this is true. Not whether or not the person assigning the probability feels good about your climbing trees.

quote:

Those statements don't preclude that evidence could emerge, and they don't say whether or not you should believe it outside of a scientific framework. Many discussions and arguments could exist outside of that initial statement, about the pros and cons of believing in x despite having little to no scientific evidence, the benefits of believing, community, morality, etc etc.

Is that the twin domains thing (is that the right terminology?)? I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

quote:
Is there a difference you see? Or do you take objection with "Humans probably can't fly", too?
No I see them as quite different. We have good evidence on human flight. Lots of failed experiments (many of them in those wacky movie collections you see on late night tv). Collected knowledge of how the human body is put together, what kind of physiognomy is required for flight, etc. We're quite within our margin of error to say simply, "Humans cannot fly."

We have no such set of data that God doesn't exist, except simple "we asked Him and he didnt answer" and experiments that rely upon interpretations we have no good reason to think really show (or not) that God exists. In other words when multiple people fall out of the sky, that is good evidence that man can't fly. If God fails to jump through some hoop we designed for him, we have no idea whether that is the sort of hoop God would, in fact, jump through if he actually existed.

Or, to put it the short way, we can test human flight, but we cannot test God's existence.

I'm sure I totally bunged that up but hopefully if I did somebody else can come along and correct my errors. Or at least point them out.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We have no such set of data that God doesn't exist, except simple "we asked Him and he didnt answer" and experiments that rely upon interpretations we have no good reason to think really show (or not) that God exists.

Isn't a complete lack of evidence of something usually considered a good reason to either doubt its existence or, at the very least, proceed as if it didn't exist? I mean, using the same logic you could postulate the existence of lumiferous æther, but what would be the point of postulating such a thing in the absence of a need to do so?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:
quote:
We have no such set of data that God doesn't exist, except simple "we asked Him and he didnt answer" and experiments that rely upon interpretations we have no good reason to think really show (or not) that God exists.

Isn't a complete lack of evidence of something usually considered a good reason to either doubt its existence or, at the very least, proceed as if it didn't exist? I mean, using the same logic you could postulate the existence of lumiferous æther, but what would be the point of postulating such a thing in the absence of a need to do so?
Is there a complete lack of evidence?
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
The first two options amount to the same thing and the third related to what I believe would be my position if I were to lose faith - agnosticism. Given that I've twice provided you with a definition of atheism, I can only assume you are acting the tit at this stage.

Thanks for that dictionary link!

quote:
Those two statements are categorically different, and so much so that the question is rendered nonsensical. The "probably" in the first proposition is essential to its intellectual and philosophical integrity because there is insufficient evidence to justify its omission.

The point being that there is always insufficient evidence to justify omission.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Evidence simply needs to be sufficient in order to be sufficient. However, in my experience arguing with an atheist is a bit like arguing over housework - there's always a reason why what you actually did doesn't constitute proper housework.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the problem with this discussion is that atheism is being presented in terms of two poles:

1. "I assert positively that God doesn't exist".
  2. "There's no evidence that God exists, and therefore no case to answer".

Now (1) is impossible to prove (you can't prove a negative), but also a bit unnecessary (and probably largely a strawman) - as Croesos points out.

On the other hand (2) is over-strong as well. Evidence for God is presented all the time, it just isn't necessarily conclusive. Atheists need some "standard of proof" by which they can judge such evidence and find it wanting. Which doesn't make atheism unreasonable or a faith position, but which does make it more than merely an absence of belief.

e.g. Someone claimed to me the other day that they saw someone's leg lengthened by the power of prayer. Does that prove God's existence? An atheist would say not, which implies that the reported leg-lengthening fails to meet a certain standard of proof. I think that's perfectly rational in this instance, but it does mean that atheists are working to a certain methodology that is open to critique.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

Or another example (from the pen of Prof Dawkins, IIRC):

A: "Why don't you believe there's a teapot orbiting Pluto?"
B: "Because I've no evidence that there's a teapot orbting Pluto."

Which is an entirely rational response from B, but the situation is more like this:

A: "Why don't you believe Mr Smith when he said he saw a teapot orbiting Pluto with his big telescope?"
B: "Because X ..."

Now X may be perfectly sensible, but it still falls to B to justify it.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
I'm interested in metaphysics like I'm interested in Greek mythology, utilitarianism, etc. I don't much care if it's true or not and I'm not devoting my life to any of it.

If you claim to be truly interested why the sun shines, one can expect you to study physics. If you claim to be truly interested whether God exists, one can expect you to study metaphysics. Once more, your lack of interest determines the lack of outcome, not the failure of some rational means. Therefore your lack of interest itself must be motivated non-rationally.

quote:
Must we devote our whole lives to a philosophical stance, and then find out at the very end of life whether or not we came to believe it?

The drama is rather misplaced here. Philosophy cannot be more than the very first step towards some faith or the other.

quote:
Isn't it more realistic to believe that we'd consider a philosophical stance at some length, listen intently to those who care about it deeply, talk, join in to some of the customs, traditions, honestly take part in liturgy, etc. and after a finite amount of time, come to a conclusion about whether or not it resonates as intellectually true? Or even subtly, still-small-voicedly true?

No. That's not a philosophical stance anymore which you are talking about, that's already some religion. Here are Aquinas' famous five ways of proving God (start reading at "I answer that..."). Whether you agree with these proofs or not, I think you can see that they will not force you to commit to anything much other than the existence of God. That's what philosophy can hope to do for you.

quote:
Rather, you apparently expect the Archangel Gabriel to appear to you and respectfully hand you your personalized list of commandments, or something like that. Is that a realistic attitude?
quote:
Leaving aside your deliberately sensationalized description of that kind of event, yes, that's a pretty fair description of what I think we should all demand.

Nothing in my experience suggests that the universe will accommodate us in this way. Nothing in my faith suggests that we have any right to make such demands of God. In fact, what you want there is simply to replace faith by knowledge. However, note that the time Gabriel did appear it was not to remove all doubts about God's existence. Instead, Gabriel was sent to ask for a show of great faith.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Now that you say it, I do think I'm closer to being a Buddhist at heart than you are. [Biased]

Sorry. When I typed that it was late at night and it appeared to be in the same spirit as the comment to which I replied. I shouldn't have adopted a tone of knowing more about your beliefs than you do.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Isn't a complete lack of evidence of something usually considered a good reason to either doubt its existence or, at the very least, proceed as if it didn't exist?

As has been said below, there is not a total lack of evidence. Just a lack of scientific evidence. But has been said many times, there are plenty of things we believe in the absence of scienfic evidence.

quote:
I mean, using the same logic you could postulate the existence of lumiferous æther,
Fraid not. For reasons given above.

quote:
but what would be the point of postulating such a thing in the absence of a need to do so?
Of course human beings have been postulating God or Gods since they've been human beings. I think if you asked them what need they had, they'd look at you like you're nuts. Until the middle Greek cosmologists.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

quote:
If you claim to be truly interested why the sun shines, one can expect you to study physics. If you claim to be truly interested whether God exists, one can expect you to study metaphysics.

Ok. I did.

quote:
That's not a philosophical stance anymore which you are talking about, that's already some religion. Here are Aquinas' famous five ways of proving God (start reading at "I answer that..."). Whether you agree with these proofs or not, I think you can see that they will not force you to commit to anything much other than the existence of God. That's what philosophy can hope to do for you.

Your stance on this sounds like, "Study metaphysics until you believe that God exists. You did and you still don't believe? You didn't study it long enough. Keep studying."

Some folks listen to the cases that are presented, find them extremely wanting, and decide to stop caring about the question because nobody can make a convincing argument.

quote:
Nothing in my experience suggests that the universe will accommodate us in this way. Nothing in my faith suggests that we have any right to make such demands of God. In fact, what you want there is simply to replace faith by knowledge.
This working definition of faith is the same kind of faith that led Abraham up a mountain, intent on killing his own son. That is clearly disgusting, so much more clear than most of the claims people make about God, faith, etc. For me, the choice there is simple. I don't understand why we wouldn't have the right to ask of God the things we would ask of any other experience in this life.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016