homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The apps of the apostles

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The apps of the apostles
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've just launched a whole new category of Gadgets for God, looking for the best religious apps available for the iPhone...

http://shipoffools.com/gadgets/apps/

Would anyone like to a) confess to being an iPhone user, and b) share the best/worst religious apps you've found? We rejected some intriguing apps in producing the feature, which I'll post later, but I'd like to add more apps to this section of Gadgets, so make your suggestions here.

[ 02. March 2011, 20:30: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would just like to register my sincere thanks for tracking down the Hallelujah button. I downloaded it to my iPhone immediately and consider it a fine thing to have done with 59p.

It makes me very happy indeed.

I am considering the organ and the menorah, but I don't think anything will beat the Hallelujah button (you can choose a long or a short version y'know! How marvellous is that?!)

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Confession #1...yes, I have an iPhone.

Confession #2...I only have free apps, and the only one that fits the OP is YouVersion (Bible App), which is neat because it has lots of translations and languages. But the Halleluia Button and the Church Organ tempt me to actually spend money! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have an iPhone but have passed this on. Bible shaker? Hallelujah button? I'd definitely find a place for that. I would find it hard to choose.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an iphone and have a few apps.
I have:
Menorah - but a different one to the one you have. It's specifically for chanukah.
Unaversalis Lite: this seems to have removed itself. It went through all the saints days in the year and had biographical notes and a prayer for each one.
Kosher me: prayers for every occasion - and I do mean every occasion!

There are some great hidden gems to found in iTunesU - stuff like theological lectures and church history lectures and podcasts on various religious courses. All quite serious though... but free!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my iPhone, it is my best friend. But that is another story.

Musts for the iPhone include a Virgin Mary Candle, Catholic Cheat Sheet, and for the busy busy - Three Minute Retreat.

I also like the way there is iLocate - so you can pinpoint religious organisations close to where you are - same way as you can find pubs, cash point machines, petrol stations, etc.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone with an iPhone know whether you can change the verses you can wake up to on the Bible Clock one? One could have fun resetting the verse one's friends woke up to...
...if one was very childish, of course. [Two face]

If I had an iPhone, I'd want the Hallelujah Button!

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my iPhone and the Catholic "Today Lite" calendar (the free version of the interfaith option featured on AotA), not only is it Shrove Tuesday, the third day of the lunar month, the end of Aquarius, with sunset at 17:46, but it's also Saint Gilbert of Sempringham's day!
Yay for almost enough trivia to sate even me!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This almost makes me want an Iphone. Almost.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caved. I bought the Hallelujah Button and the Church Organ. The organ still has to be loaded onto my phone, since it was too large and had to be put on my computer first.

I guess I shouldn't be too mad at myself for spending $.99 twice. Should I? [Biased]

[Edited to change a Spelling variation]

[ 18. February 2010, 03:09: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stowaway John
Shipmate
# 15469

- Posted      Profile for Stowaway John   Email Stowaway John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ultimate app on my iphone is 'You Version'

It's free, It's the bible on your iphone in a very clear format. 'bout 15 versions in Anglo Saxon, The message, New King James and all your favourites. And countless translations in other languages.

It also has loads of really interesting bible reading plans. Which means you catch up on your reading when stood in a queue for the bus, or you can spin-up John 3:16 in Arabic/chinese/french etc when abroad and thrust it in the face of someone you don't know :-) In Love of course.

Seriously, if you've got an iphone, google and get 'you version'. It will change your life. I mean it. No really I mean it.

--------------------
Step out of the boat.

Posts: 93 | From: North Wales | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have YouVersion, which is wonderful because it is all free.

But I have also downloaded the BibleReader app by Olive Tree, which sells copyrighted translations as well as providing the free ones. Which means I can have the NRSV on my phone. It's great, I can make notes as I read and highlight important bits in pretty colours. Gosh I could even keep up with my daily chapter during meetings. [Big Grin] .

I think I really, really want a Hallelujah Button though.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got an iPhone!
I have several versions of the bible from Olive Tree.

I think I want an Hallelujah button (wanders over to the iTunes store to have a look)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

My Hallelujah Button disappeared. [Frown]

I was syncing my iPhone...and it crashed. [Waterworks]

So, I restored it and reloaded it, except my HB hadn't had a chance to sync with my 'puter.

*sigh*

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want a mobile phone. I don't want an i-phone. I just want the Hallelujah button.

I used a virtual one when the internet finally connected tonight. Hallelujah!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A must for all us heathens. The Rapture App. Essential for when Christians disappear.

Better still, it is freeeeeeeee so there is no excuse for not knowing about the rAppture.

markey
Shipmate
# 14847

- Posted      Profile for markey   Email markey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't got an iphone, but I rather fancy the idea of the Holy Rosary Audio. It would take the worry about forgetting where your rosary beads are. The thought of beads lighting up as you go along . . . It almost makes me want to go out and buy an iphone now!
Posts: 136 | From: south east England | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an iphone and have an imissal on it - which I find quite useful. I must investigate some more aps - versions of the Bible sound worth having for instance.

I'm not friends with my phone at the moment - it's eating money at an alarming rate and I can't work out why.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had an iPhone, I'd want a labyrinth app (not the game!).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

So, I restored it and reloaded it, except my HB hadn't had a chance to sync with my 'puter.

*sigh*

You can re-download any app that you have previously purchased without an additional fee.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not got an iPhone, so I can't enjoy these things first hand!

A friend of mine created The Jesus Comic, an iPhone app which tells the story of Jesus in cartoon form, with minimal text - very fun and creative.

The lite version, which is just the Nativity story, is free, with the complete version being a couple of pounds.

[ 19. February 2010, 10:26: Message edited by: The Revolutionist ]

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cap'n Simon has a two-page spread on the Apps of the Apostles in today's Church Times.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in their online version....

Congratulations, Cap'n!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby just grumpily informed me I cost him $20 by pointing him to this thread. : )

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

*sigh*

You can re-download lany app that you have previously purchased without an additional fee.
Yay! [Smile] I was hoping that would be the case!

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
A must for all us heathens. The Rapture App. Essential for when Christians disappear.

Don't tempt me - now I want a Rapture App. to prematurely Rapture those Christians who are annoying me. Zap, zap, zap - soon I'd be the only person left. Until I found too much of my own company annoying, that is. Zap!

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Hm, rAppture might be essential but it has to be the most boring boring App amongst Apps.

Just loads of words, in the most unintelligible way of writing - sort of Le Haye-esque.

There is a list of qs, you click on one and it has a load of verbage, which - doesn't answer the q. From the ones I have bothered to read. I read "Is God Real" and it didn't answer yes or no - it just started a load of blurb about God's love. I think.

What I need. This is a need. Suppose all the Christians do go to heaven and I am left behind, I need some phone nos / email addresses or something of those who will be Left Behind. So I know a doctor, (likely to be necessary), firemen, gas engineer, electrician, what stores will be open (probably not the Wesley Owen bookshop - which is a shame because that is when it might be most useful). I guess in the same way as you can find a place of worship, it would be good to be able to locate the nearest "left behind doctor", etc. Transport - non christian taxi drivers - or what tube lines will be open.

It will also be important to know which Christians have been raptured - for example I might want to go feed goldfish? And borrow the rich Christians smart handbag? (note to self, hunt down some rich Christians the same size as me so I can make use of their clothes.)

Just a few ideas of what I would want on a rAppture.

However, all critical on the q: Will my iPhone work after the rapture?? Is Apple a Christian Company??? I hope not.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I misread the title of this thread as "The abs of the apostles", and thought it was going to be about Christian bodybuilders.........

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have an iphone I have an ipod touch and I am tempted by the Hallelugah button.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
those Christians who are annoying me ... Zap, zap, zap ... Zap!

[Paranoid]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
those Christians who are annoying me ... Zap, zap, zap ... Zap!

[Paranoid]
Apparently, this Zap App was the cause of some trouble!

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Suppose all the Christians do go to heaven and I am left behind, I need some phone nos / email addresses or something of those who will be Left Behind.

Don't worry, Been. In the event of Rapture, all the contact details of everyone who runs Ship of Fools will be made available.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I always wondered who rigged up this outfit. But now I know. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
this outfit.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am lusting for that Hallelujah button, but is it worth buying an IPhone? [Roll Eyes] The real truth is, it is ATT and is it compatible with our cell phone repeater that we have to have for telephone service out here?

AHHH, so many decisions. so little time to be aggravated with bad telephone service. [Snigger]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Here's a couple of interfaith apps that didn't make the cut...

iChing Plus
Shri Durga Prarthana

The second one is really interesting because it's a little virtual space and reminded me of what we were doing in Church of Fools. I didn't include them because basically I don't know enough about I Ching or Hinduism to make amusing comments about them.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

All those arms remind me of church organists.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
I am lusting for that Hallelujah button, but is it worth buying an IPhone? [Roll Eyes] The real truth is, it is ATT and is it compatible with our cell phone repeater that we have to have for telephone service out here?

AHHH, so many decisions. so little time to be aggravated with bad telephone service. [Snigger]

This might answer your question, Motherboard! [Frown]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Well, it's not exactly a religious app...but I guess it might if you count Jedi as a religion! [Big Grin]

I just got a lightsaber for my iPhone! Cool!

[trying to speek Engrish]

[ 03. April 2010, 23:14: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016