homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The SoF Railway Enthusiasts' Thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The SoF Railway Enthusiasts' Thread
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the "nerd thread":

quote:
This thread is going down an interesting track; some might say it threatens to go off the rails.

Perhaps we should have a "The Ship Railway Enthusiasts' Thread"?(note that I put the apostrophe in the right place, clever little moi.)

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
You know you are a nerd when someone on TV rattles off a four figure number similar to 4498, and you sit there thinking that sounds like an A4 Pacific, and trying to work out which one. [Snigger]

(and yes I did go and look it up)

Its more of a nerd thing when Agent Smith is a girl. [Hot and Hormonal]

Oliver Cromwell is in Boiler licence atm, (and I have riden behind it, as well as Tornado and Sir Nigel Gresley!) [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ 02. March 2011, 20:33: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, suiting the action to the word, this thread is for all you/us railway-loving shippies, for discussion, serious or otherwise, of things that go down chuff, chuff, brrrrm, brrrrm, or just hummmmmmmmmmmm down the iron road.

I wish there were a smiley for *blows whistle and waves green flag*.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My history as an enthusiast dates back to 1969 when my parents made the mistake of talking me to the local station (in the Sunderland area) to see ‘Flying Scotsman’ race trough northwards. I was hooked!

I then proceeded to acquire books, models and information, with a first trip behind steam on the Dart Valley Railway in 1972 or ’73, IIRC.

A landmark was a trip to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in about 1977 via the Settle-Carlisle line. It is not too much exaggeration to put my current West Yorks. abode down to that trip. Their 4F, 43924, hauled me.

On the main line I have ridden behind ‘Evening Star’, K1 No. 2005, ‘Green Arrow’, ‘Duchess of Hamilton’, several ‘Black 5’s’, ‘Bahamas’, and most recently ‘Leander’.

I did like diesels and electrics once as well! More later.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a sort of enthusiast. I don't do the "Ooo that's a ...." but I prefer travelling by train to most other methods of transport and like doing journeys by train to odd places. As you can see from the "week in the UK" thread that gives me quite a bit of knowledge of lesser know railway routes in the North of Britain.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly I fail the test. I thought 4498 was Mallard. [Hot and Hormonal]

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, my name's Marvin and I'm a HUGE rail enthusiast.

By which I mean I'm very enthusiastic, not that I'm fat.

Not that there's anything wrong with being fat, of course!

But anyway, my grandfather used to take me to the local station to watch the Peaks and 47s go past when I was but knee high to a Jinty. I saw the last ever Deltic go out of New Street. Since then I've been completely hooked.

I proudly own the title of spotter, and love both heritage lines and the national network.

I'm a keen amateur railway photographer as well [Big Grin]

Oh, and I've not only ridden behind Tornado, I've cabbed her as well [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Presumably firing something that size is good practice for Hell? [Devil]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

Er, me again.

I caught the train bug largely from my grandfather, who had worked as a shunter for the GWR before going off to the First World War and leaving a leg in Northern France. He then came back and was found a sedentary job by the GWR, and remained at Reading station for the rest of his working life.

My mother's first job after school was with the GWR at its head office in Paddington, where she met my father, whose first job after National Service had been with the LMS at Watford Junction station. I often think of them when standing outside the Praed Street entrance, looking up at the windows from which they once had a grandstand view of King George VI's funeral cortege arriving on its way to Windsor.

I went to a primary school that had a view of a railway line on the other side of the road running past the front gate. The trains were mainly London Transport electrics and BR dmus out of Marylebone and Baker Street, but there were a few steam engines on parcels trains.

We used to go over to Reading to see my grandparents quite often, and my grandfather would seize the opportunity to get out of the house and down to his railwaymen's club near the station. He would take me with him and leave me on the station for some time to watch the trains (still some steam in those days - this was the late Sixties) and would later collect me and take me to the club, where I, aged 10-ish, would be treated to cider as a reward for showing the old railwaymen how to work the jukebox.

Family holidays often involved trains, although neither of my parents were enthusiasts as such. At various times, I ended up going on the Bluebell Line, the Keighley and Worth Valley, and the Dart Valley railways, not to mention the main Welsh narrow-gauge ones (we once stayed in a holiday flat with a view of one of the stations on the Festiniog).

I am a member of the Great Western Society at Didcot; although I live too far away to do any volunteering, I make a point of visiting several times a year and buying stuff, incl. the home-made jams, all of which goes towards keeping the show on the road. Or rails, as the case may be.

--------------------

Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

Presumably firing something that size is good practice for Hell? [Devil]

AG

Ha! I drove this engine with my cousin, when I was 15...or younger, thanks to being a member of the W&LLR thanks to a family member being the ex-chairman!

I started out on the enthusiast ride as a baby when my mum forced me onto a train at the W&LLR, a decision she has rued ever since [Big Grin] I have been known to make excuses to make long train rides...indeed I am going to Oldham at the end of the month during which I plan to travel by Pendolino, as it is a train I haven't ridden on, though I do find the Marches Line tempting, due to the Loco Hauled Stock in use! [Razz]
My Father, Grandfather and Myself spent a week, last year, in N. Wales riding on the Railways. This year we went to Scotland, for a few days, where we travelled on the West Highland Line before heading to the Lake District, to ride the Ravenglass and Eskdale and Coniston Steam Yacht!

Rob

><>

[fixed code]

[ 02. September 2009, 17:34: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back a little further than you guys (above), I was bitten by the bug as the result of a trip to visit my grandfather in 1952 - steam-powered from Winnipeg to Montreal, steam-powered ship (Cunard's Ascania, for the marine equivalent of the anoraks) to Liverpool and all-steam to Burnham (near Maidenhead). GF lived three doors down from the GWR mainline, so I spent the whole month lineside, learning to trainspot. Can you guess why I might think Churchward is The Big Name?

Various trips Winnipeg-England before the jets killed proper transport confirmed this. I can still identify the various incarnations of Hall/Grange/Manor at a glance.

But steam died in Canada in 1960 (April 25, to be precise - U1d class 4-8-2 #6043 on last run - and I was there!)

And then the same happened in the birthplace of steam. Not that the Dart Valley or whichever are to be sneezed at but It. Is. Not. The. Same.

But I lucked in, and for seven happy years was a fireman and driver on a museum line in the village where I now live, 2000 miles from "home". (for the anoraks, CN #1009, CP #29 and S&L #42, as well as diesels CN 8245 and 1754 and S&L 201) Low revenue and the insurance industry killed it, but it was fun while it lasted.

I have to thank all sorts of people for putting so much on YouTube, particularly my current preference 6024 (come on, you know which King!)

[ 02. September 2009, 18:07: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hi, my name's Marvin and I'm a HUGE rail enthusiast.

By which I mean I'm very enthusiastic, not that I'm fat.

Not that there's anything wrong with being fat, of course!

But anyway, my grandfather used to take me to the local station to watch the Peaks and 47s go past when I was but knee high to a Jinty. I saw the last ever Deltic go out of New Street. Since then I've been completely hooked.

I proudly own the title of spotter, and love both heritage lines and the national network.

I'm a keen amateur railway photographer as well [Big Grin]

As I said, I used to like diesels and electrics, too. Strictly speaking I still do, but on the national network it’s just not the same any more. I was there at Newcastle on the Last Day of the Deltics. I got Class 45 haulage in the period 1984-88 when I made journeys from Leeds (Uni) to my home in the North East. Then the Peaks went and the 47s took over on the Trans-Pennine expresses (at least the Newcastle-Liverpool trains, as poxy Sprinters went onto the Scarborough workings).

Some South West to North East workings were still 47 hauled in the 90s and I was lucky enough to be able to use them (sometimes) between Wakefield and Leeds.

The last throw of the die for proper diesel traction was when they put a 37 at each end of four Mark 2 coaches and used it for one Leeds-Settle-Carlisle working a day, then an evening Leeds-Knaresborough service. It just so happened that this train was just the one I usually used for the last stage of my journey home (to Horsforth) from work! Bliss!

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real trains don't need no steenking locos!

Southern Electrics rule! OK? Since 1926.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are still the occasional steam trains out of Victoria. Sir Nigel Gresley occasionally leaves with the Orient Express to the South Coast and there are a number of others doing the same job.

This Saturday there is in fact a steam train called The Spitfire (it is sponsored by Shepherd Neame) pulling some old coaches down into Kent to the Hop Festival at Faversham.

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

Here are the details, the train is actually called Tangmere and not Spitfire.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
There are still the occasional steam trains out of Victoria.

And out of Waterloo - the Cathedrals Express takes a route that includes where a certain reverend would have had early inspiration.
Close by is a level crossing that is popular on steam days with enthusiasts.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

Also it would appear that this year Tangmere will not be leaving Victoria for Faversham but London Bridge Station.

For those of a romantic disposition there is also an excursion from Faversham to the mysterious Isle of Sheppey.

I see that the return journey covers more or less the whole of Kent for the pure delectation of Kentophiles.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the States there's little opportunity for rail travel of ANY kind, but I try. My travel agent says that she thinks I visit the UK and Europe 'just to ride the trains.' Well, she's almost right.
Best trip ever in US: Santa Fe Chief from Chicago to the Coast in pre-AMTRAK days.
Best trip in UK: Kyle of Lochalsh (sp?) to Inverness with the rhododendrons in bloom along the way.
Best trip in Europe: perhaps Venice to Vienna (which I boarded with 45 seconds to spare because of traffic on the Grand Canal) and with a prolonged security stop at the Austrian border, which seemed like something out of 'The Third Man.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Here in the States there's little opportunity for rail travel of ANY kind, but I try. My travel agent says that she thinks I visit the UK and Europe 'just to ride the trains.' Well, she's almost right.
Best trip ever in US: Santa Fe Chief from Chicago to the Coast in pre-AMTRAK days.
Best trip in UK: Kyle of Lochalsh (sp?) to Inverness with the rhododendrons in bloom along the way.
Best trip in Europe: perhaps Venice to Vienna (which I boarded with 45 seconds to spare because of traffic on the Grand Canal) and with a prolonged security stop at the Austrian border, which seemed like something out of 'The Third Man.'

Or possibly "The Lady Vanishes"
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were lucky to have Class 37 hauled trains up our valley until 2 years ago, and now Arriva have left us with DMUs [Waterworks]

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should not have found this but for those who hunger for steam on the mainline then this website may be useful.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Obviously, I'm partial on this one, but a trip up over the Albula pass from Chur to St Moritz over ravine-crossing bridges and past unique mountain scenery (interrupted by 30-odd short black-outs short tunnels), followed by a second leg over the glacier-surrounded Bernina pass at 2200 m a.s.l., to finally wind your way down a steep valley through 360° tunnels and across full-circle viaducts to the Italian town of Tirano at around 400 m a.s.l. has got to cut it!
Rhätische Bahn
Pictures
Pictures

PS: If you ever do it, grab a window seat on the right hand side!

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One manse where I lived backed onto CN's mainline through New Brunswick, and as a five-year old it was terrific to watch the trains go by. I rode the Ocean a couple of times in the sleepers, back when VIA still ran the old CN cars.

As a train nut it was wonderful to see the miracle of organization and capitalism that was the Conrail breakup.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lie awake at night replanning the rail network. Nerdy or what? But though I love the smell of steam engines and admire things like the Great Western Castles and LNER Pacifics, I'm not really a trainspotter, or an antiquarian. I just want to see a modern, efficient and high speed network in this country, and soon. (BTW did anyone see Steve Bell's latest 'IF' strip this week in the Grauniad?)

Meanwhile I'm happy to study maps and timetables, and marvel at Victorian railway engineering and architecture. It's amazing when you think that the present network was completed, more or less, in twenty or thirty years, and it's taken that to upgrade to average European standards just one main line.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

Today myself and Darllenywr went on the Brecon Mountain Railway...tomorrow we visit the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do like trains, but the only passenger one in this hick town is a light rail which runs down the centre of the street and is barely faster than the buses.

I miss the train to LA, walking up through the cars to first class and cadging a free breakfast, or at least stealing some orange juice as the sun comes up...

The US is now talking about 200 mph trains: I'll believe it when I see it.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dunno about that: we've only taken two train journeys lately. In 2007 we enjoyed Paddington to Penzance more than we liked the route from London to Bristol a week later. Next time, we'll skip Bristol and just go straight to Bath. I'll never drive in Bristol again: it's worse than LA and I was born there!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:

Dunno about that: we've only taken two train journeys lately. In 2007 we enjoyed Paddington to Penzance more than we liked the route from London to Bristol a week later. Next time, we'll skip Bristol and just go straight to Bath. I'll never drive in Bristol again: it's worse than LA and I was born there!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glasgow to Mallaig beats the Inverness line I think! The real competion would come from Glasgow to Oban.

If we are sticking to Britain, yes, the East Coast Main Line is great north of York (totally boring south of that). And the line that goes along the Devon coast. And don't knock the south of England - the Arun Valley route is beautiful.

Outside Britain - well I did travel by rail from Nairobi to Mombasa once. There is something to be said for watching zebras and giraffes out of a dining car window [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, pressed the wrong button. What I was going to say was that we went from Cardiff to Penzance by train a few years ago, and in parts, it's wonderful - I'd like to do it again.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful steam trains are wonderful.

Cattle class modern commuter trains? Arrghhhhh!

So impressed with the group who've just built the Tornado. Now that is a worthy obsession indeed. You can even download its whistle as a ringtone (preferably for a donation to the cause) [Axe murder]

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

If we are sticking to Britain...the line that goes along the Devon coast.

That's the one we took: I think it was on the Great Western.

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes its on the Great Western and I drove my son mad last weekend when he visited and I commented every time we heard the whistle. We've had the Tornado on that line as well this summer.
My husband is a railway enthusiast- but he 's into historic societies particularly the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society. We spent our last holiday viewing any remaining structures!! That said the scenery up beyond Clitheroe was amazing.
Jante

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Glasgow to Mallaig beats the Inverness line I think! The real competion would come from Glasgow to Oban.

I did enjoy Galsgow to Mallaig (on same trip), but was too tired after Glasgow to properly appreciate.

Another beautiful trip was Hereford to London, on a perfect morning during Three Choirs Festival.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
Beautiful steam trains are wonderful.

Cattle class modern commuter trains? Arrghhhhh!

So impressed with the group who've just built the Tornado. Now that is a worthy obsession indeed. You can even download its whistle as a ringtone (preferably for a donation to the cause) [Axe murder]

Now I want to replicate the effort on this side of the Pond with a Canadian Pacific Class H1 Royal Hudson

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Georgiaboy , an even better trip is Vienna to Venice. That way, you get the Alps in the morning freshness. In the afternoon, when you're feeing a bit sleepy, there's the crossing of the lagoon, with Venice emerging from the haze - simply magical, and what an intoduction to Venice!

Another great trip is the Glacier Express. To cross from the Rhine to the Reuss via the Oberalp Pass, and look down to Andermatt below is stunning and never to be forgotten.

[ 06. September 2009, 04:24: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMightyMartyr
Shipmate
# 11162

- Posted      Profile for TheMightyMartyr   Email TheMightyMartyr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say I'm an enthusiast, but my father and grandfather were both dispatchers for Great Northern Railway, which became Burlington Northern, and then Burlington Northern Santa Fe!! I've been on the Royal Hudson more times than I can count, and I have taken the Rocky Mountaineer a few times...now that is an amazing experience!! [Yipee]

--------------------
You cannot claim to worship Jesus in the Tabernacle if you do not pity Jesus in the slum.

Posts: 259 | From: the Land of Ingham | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a wee kiddie in the 70's, British Rail used to run all sorts of special excursion trains that we used to take as a family. We went from Reading to Welshpool, York (V. Early HST), Iona (+plus steam ship) and that's just what I can remember. This remains my idea of a perfect awayday.

As another poster said. I would rather travel by train than any other way. That includes the daily trek to Moorgate. You can't say Morning Prayer when you have to keep an eye on the road ahead.

To be honest, I don't really care about the steam thing. I spent a chunk of my youth firing and cleaning boilers for a steam museum. Steam means some poor soul cleaning the soot and ash. I've been there. Its not at all romantic.

The real nostalgia for me is the old style compartment coaches. They use these at the Nene Valley Railway. Bliss.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like so many Brits of a certain age, I could claim the railways are in my blood. A grandfather spent all his working life of the GWR (of Blessed Memory) ending up as station master of a very minor station on an even more minor branch line. (More of a twig line, in fact)

Also an uncle who became something big in the civil engineering side and built bridges and suchlike and strived to instill a suitable fascination with all railway things mechanical.

However I have to say that any love of railways I ever had has been thoroughly beaten out of me by 10 years of daily commuting on slow, packed, filthy trains for the 'priviledge' of which I pay a fortune....

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not so much an enthusiast, as an appreciator of rail travel. While in England last year, our party traveled almost exclusively by rail, and enjoyed it so very much!

My favorite train, however, is the Alaska Railroad. What a great way to see parts of that majestic state! Traveling between the mountains, we were treated to glimpses of Dall Sheep, moose and bald eagles. And bears. Oh, my. We also saw Denali in all its glory!

When you get to Alaska, I very much recommend the Alaska Railroad as an easy, and pleasant way of getting around.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From my early years, I've loved the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. 13 miles or so on 15" gauge and wonderful Pacific locomotives. Whereas these days the steam engines on most railways don't have to work particularly hard, on the Romney they are worked seriously, and at respectable speeds. Small is beautiful, at least in this case.

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My earliest "train memories" are of the branch line to the ferry over the Humber to Hull and of the three-foot gauge on the Isle of Man. I also remember the sound of trains on the mainline into Hull drifting across the river on summer evenings. Deltics were immediately identifiable, as were Class 20s "Whistlers."

Personally I think decent trains disappeared in the early 1990s. I have found memories of runs from the time frame 1987-1994

1. My first trip to Inverness in a steam-heated Mk1s hauled by a MacRat
2. Slogging over the S & C in a rake of twelve Mk 1s hauled by an ailing class 45.
3. An absolutely smoking York to Hull run behind another "Peak."

My all-time favourites were a run behind a Peak on the ECML in which the peak had eleven on the hook and a HST on its tail. A "Peak" in reasonable nick is good for 102mph south of Thirsk according to my stop watch! The other was "cabbing" a grossly overloaded Cl.31 on a Scarborough-Liverpool train sometime in the late 80s. We went over Stanedge at 11mph with just about everything overloaded! The only other locos I knew that would stand that level of abuse were the old re-engined Metro-Vicks on CIE.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

Which is your favourite ‘preserved line’ (you may call them ‘heritage railways’,: I prefer not to)? And do say ‘why’.

Mine would be the North Yorkshire Moors Railway: 18 miles long, plus on most days a further six into Whitby; scenery of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and Esk Valley; the line dates back to 1835; 1 in 49 gradients particularly between Grosmont and Goathland; probably the best collection of ex-LNER locos (including Sir Nigel Gresley and an NER 0-8-0) and coaches on any preserved line; stations like Goathland and Pickering…

Beat that!

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
Mine would be the North Yorkshire Moors Railway: 18 miles long, plus on most days a further six into Whitby; scenery of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and Esk Valley; the line dates back to 1835; 1 in 49 gradients particularly between Grosmont and Goathland; probably the best collection of ex-LNER locos (including Sir Nigel Gresley and an NER 0-8-0) and coaches on any preserved line; stations like Goathland and Pickering…

Beat that!

How about the Severn Valley? 16 miles through the wonderful Worcestershire/Staffordshire countryside, two banks (Highley and Erdington) that tax the locos even now, a fabulous selection of GWR and LMS motive power, a full set of Gresley teak coaches as well as full rakes of GWR, LMS and BR ones as well, beautifully restored and kept stations including Arley, Highley and Bewdley, two tunnels, six viaducts, and a safari park - if nothing else, it must be the only standard gauge preserved railway in the country from which you can guarantee to see gazelles, bison and elephants!

Throw in some fabulous real ale served in the buffet cars and the new Engine House which holds the line's reserve collection of locos in a museum-like environment, and I think it beats the NYMR into a cocked hat [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeh lads - what abaht t'Keighley and Worth Valley? Not as impressive in length or pretensions to mainline status, I agree: but heroic gradients, atmospheric stations, and a lot of weather. Not to mention the literary associations. Branwell Brontë yet liveth.

But for curiosity value it's hard to beat the Isle of Wight. Idiosyncratic steam engines and ancient rolling stock on a preserved line running through an archetypal English countryside, together with a 'main line' [Killing me] served by pensioned-off Bakerloo line tube trains which are nearly as old as me. And a terminus half way across the Solent.

[ 07. September 2009, 14:53: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

I love the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway - the scenery is wonderful and the Locos are made to work hard, just like on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway! Sorry for the shameless plugs, as I am a member of both lines [Big Grin]

I love the Isle of Man Railways (Steam and Electric) and Snaefell Mountain Line.

Whilst it is not a preserved railway, the Pecorama Miniature Railway/Beer Heights Railway is well worth a visit. The Brecon Mountain Railway is nice though a bit short - I know it fairly well as it is the closest Steam Railway to home! [Smile]

I agree with Marvin, regarding the Severn Valley....though one has to go into Bridgenorth to ride the Funicular to gain all the thrills [Razz]

Rob.

><>

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Can we include Street Railways, er, Streetcar Lines in this? My favorite is Halton County Radial Railway. They have a wonderful collection of old streetcars from across Ontario, in particular Toronto Transit Commission Peter Witt's and PCC Cars.

I [Axe murder] streetcars.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by booktonmacarthur:

I love the Isle of Man Railways (Steam and Electric) and Snaefell Mountain Line.

Me, too! A magnificent ride! Unfortunately, my photo of the engine did not come out well, but I got this shot of the beautiful car we rode in.

When Daughter-Unit was five y-o, we went on the Gettysburg Railroad. Unfortunately, D-U got a cinder in her eye, and I spent a large part of the 16-mile ride helping her to get it out.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:

Beat that!

How about the Severn Valley? 16 miles through the wonderful Worcestershire/Staffordshire countryside, two banks (Highley and Erdington) that tax the locos even now, a fabulous selection of GWR and LMS motive power, a full set of Gresley teak coaches as well as full rakes of GWR, LMS and BR ones as well, beautifully restored and kept stations including Arley, Highley and Bewdley, two tunnels, six viaducts, and a safari park - if nothing else, it must be the only standard gauge preserved railway in the country from which you can guarantee to see gazelles, bison and elephants!

Throw in some fabulous real ale served in the buffet cars and the new Engine House which holds the line's reserve collection of locos in a museum-like environment, and I think it beats the NYMR into a cocked hat [Biased]

Marvin, I only went to the SVR once, back in about 1987, and it was very good (it was on an enthusiasts’ weekend, so a lot was running, including ‘Black 5’ No. 5000). Its stations were actually better than the NYMR’s, though the latter have improved since. But it didn’t have the steep gradients, or the wild scenery. It didn’t have any NER locomotives! It had lots of Brunswick green things with copper and brass bits stuck on top! [Razz] So not the BEST preserved line, maybe runner–up (if it has a Stanier or Ivatt 2-6-0 running on my next visit!).
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

Oh, and I’ve just noticed you refer to the ‘wonderful Worcestershire/Staffordshire countryside’. Shurely you mean ‘Worcestershire/Shropshire’?

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much like Jengie Jon above, I prefer to travel by train rather than being what you might call an enthusiast. Although I do like all the madeness of them, especially the old machines where it feels as if even the tiny parts have been made with pride and care.
This websites getting me all unnecessary at the moment - planning! I loves it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016