homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The SoF Railway Enthusiasts' Thread (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The SoF Railway Enthusiasts' Thread
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The famous Metropolitan Railway "Growlers" included "William Ewart Gladstone" and "Benjamin Disraeli", but the locos were only introduced in the 1920s by which time they were historical figures. Anyway, there was also a loco called "Sherlock Holmes" who never existed at all!

In the 1950s there was a "Britannia" called "Lord Hurcomb" who was, I believe Chair of the British Transport Commission and so a high-ranking Civil Servant - not quite the same as a politician, I grant you.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Does it strike anyone as odd that the LBSCR should name an engine after a politician?

I think we'd regard naming an engine Gordon Brown....as divisive.

Ah, but last year Gordon Brown decided that there should be a locomotive named after him. Not just any old locomotive, but a classic one. He sent a high-ranking civil-servant to the Railway Museum at York to look around.

'How about that big green one over there?'

'That's already got a name.'

'Doesn't matter, that's the one I want. Money is short so we can't spend a lot on the name-plate.'

'That's OK. That one's the Flying Scotsman. We'll just paint out the F.'

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This photo of AT&SF 5034, a very large 2-10-4, illustrates why the idea of duplex-drive was being considered. One look at the main rods indicates the hammer-blow problem, not to mention the huge force from each piston.

Oh, and BTW, the loco and tender (16-wheel!)stretched out to 123' 4". This was about all the loco one could have without some sort of articulation.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aethelstan
Shipmate
# 3502

- Posted      Profile for Aethelstan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There have been people who have had engines called after them, Andrew K McCosh

...an LNER A4 Pacific, once captioned by the late Bishop Eric Treacy as "Andrew K McCosh - who he?". It's noticeable that a number of LNER locomotives lost more euphonious names in favour of directors of the company just as nationalisation loomed (it didn't work guys - you're long forgotten all the same).

The most eclectic set of locomotive names must be those belonging to the LMS "Baby Scots" which was a complete ragbag containing variously: coastal resorts in North Wales and Northwest England, decorated war heroes, a few regiments, a school and some downright weird ones including "Lady Godiva" and my absolute favourite "E. Tootal Broadhurst" (a former director of the London and North Western Railway I believe).

Many of the class were never named at all and I've long thought that P.G. Wodehouse's "the Honourable Galahad Threepwood" would have been perfect for one of the spares.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a photo that some may find disturbing. It's Flying Scotsman during her North American tour 1968-1970. This was taken at the CNE in Toronto.

As you can see she was fitted with a bell, headlight and knuckle coupler during that time. Some shipmates may find this greatly disturbing.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Flying Scotsman isn't the only British engine that went to North America. Royal Scot (but actually a different engine as they swapped numbers), a streamlined Coronation, and King George V from the GWR did - hence the polished bell on the front bufferbeam.

There was also movement the other way. Some US War Department 2-8-0s were used in Britain before going to the Continent. Back in the very early C20 the Midland, Great Northern and I think the Great Central, bought some 2-6-0s from US builders, though none of them seem to have lasted very long.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Second post. There were also some small US shunting engines used in Southampton Docks. There's at least 4 preserved, as they're rather like industrial engines and so versatile for preservation lines.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Here is a photo that some may find disturbing. It's Flying Scotsman during her North American tour 1968-1970. This was taken at the CNE in Toronto.

As you can see she was fitted with a bell, headlight and knuckle coupler during that time. Some shipmates may find this greatly disturbing.

As the later Cyril Freezer once said when people complained about the Vale of Rheidol locomotives being painted Rail Blue, complete with the double arrow motif, 'They could have made them purple with yellow polka-dots if only they'd kept some of them running.'

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely, the treatment of this Pacific was at least as disturbing.

Abunch of sheet metal bits tacked on without much thought about ... anything, really.

Not that this one was any better!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this Hudson was pretty well destroyed by "streamlining." I prefer the Loewy modified K4 to this one.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

On the other hand, this Hudson is, I think, quite attractive. Both were, I believe, the work of the great Henry Dreyfus, who did the interior design of the 1938 Twentieth Century Limited.
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Sorry guys, I don't think that this K4 is any less attractive than an A4. Maybe a pond difference, but I like that Loewy look.
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

And, while we are talking color, is any locomotive more attractive than in these colors? Believe me, that locomotive is even more beautiful up close and personal, which how I experienced her this summer.
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

And, having rediscovered code, I would add this last "war baby" GS-6 to show that the "bones" of the GS-class Northerns were beautiful even in black.
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Enoch: Thanks for remembering the Class S160 2-8-0s that were shipped from the states to Britain during World War II. A total of about 800 were shipped, with 400 seeing service there, mostly on the Great Western and the LNER. The remainder sent to the UK were stored before D-Day and then mostly went to France. An additional approximately 1,300 were produced, some to the broad Soviet gauge for use there. Here is a picture of one of them.
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

One correction. The hideous Hudson that I had earlier stated as being designed by Henry Dreyfuss was, in fact, designed by a committee from the Case School in Cleveland. Dreyfuss was incapable of such a monstrosity.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha, a 0-14-0 suite of posts.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Yes, perfect for shunting North American railroadiana into a train of UK posts. [Smile]
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
The famous Metropolitan Railway "Growlers" included "William Ewart Gladstone" and "Benjamin Disraeli", but the locos were only introduced in the 1920s by which time they were historical figures. Anyway, there was also a loco called "Sherlock Holmes" who never existed at all!

Hmm. The engine in 'Oh, Mr. Porter!' was called Gladstone as well. And as for Sherlock Holmes, he may be fictitious but he is already a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry so why not a loco? [Cool]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LA Dave:
And, while we are talking color, is any locomotive more attractive than in these colors? Believe me, that locomotive is even more beautiful up close and personal, which how I experienced her this summer.

No, the SP's Daylight scheme was the most beautiful ever seen on a train.

4449 is also well-liked by UP and BNSF as the crew has a reputation for professionalism and courtesy on the rails. They prefer to take the siding to let working trains pass.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do y'all think of the colors of our local trains? [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you definitely won't lose them in the dark! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I can't supply a link to a picture but in the late fifties some Duchesses and Princesses reappeared in red, the ex LMS and Midland fairly maroon colour. At that time carriages were maroon as well. The lining on both was gold. So you had a complete red train - but not flash with chevrons etc like a streamlined one. When clean, I don't think you could have a better livery than that.

The two worst liveries I've seen are the ones that turn the entire unit into a mobile advertising vehicle, and freight unlined black.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So you had a complete red train - but not flash with chevrons etc like a streamlined one. When clean, I don't think you could have a better livery than that.

I doubt if the devotees of a certain line running West from Paddington would agree!

The red looked best in Midland Railway days, (a) because it covered in several coats of varnish, adding depth and (b) loco wheels were painted and lined too, not left black as in BR times.

You may think I am bonkers, but I grew to quite like our short-lived "One Railway" livery - not the present emasculated version still carried on many trains. It was better than the turquoise "Anglia" which preceded it and the horrible silvery National Express one which came after.

By the way, the proper livery for TRAMS is yellow lower half and white upper half (see Lisbon, Budapest, Timisoara). I'm prepared to allow a thin brown band between the colours. Amazing how many places have adopted this livery!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't supply a link to a picture but in the late fifties some Duchesses and Princesses reappeared in red, the ex LMS and Midland fairly maroon colour. At that time carriages were maroon as well.

A bit like this? Or possibly this?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Now those two pictures are interesting. The first shows a streamlined Pacific hauling a train near Shap in the late 1930s. The train is standard LMS red and the loco is in the same colour with "speed whiskers". It can't be the "Coronation Scot" train as that was painted blue, the speed whiskers on it were white and extended along the carriages (and between the windows).

The second picture shows the unstreamlined version of the same type of loco, again in LMS livery. I think the headboard is too modern and BR pattern - I don't think the LMS used them (unlike the LNER).

The BR livery was (?almost) exactly the same as this. But some of the Pacifics came out in the late 40s in the short-lived BR Express blue; at this time the coaches were "blood and custard". Many of the locos were painted in standard BR green in the 50s and never became red again at the end of their lives.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

PS There is a picture of a green one at Glasgow Central on the railbrit.org.uk website - sorry, I can't do links and this one is immensely long, so Google it!

[ 30. March 2010, 13:38: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The only proper livery for streetcars is maroon and cream, as seen here.

Current Red Rockets may be found in an updated scheme seen here.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Even I am not old enough to remember the Midland version with big numbers on the tender and all the coats and varnishing. It was built up in transparent layers, and I believe some of the lower undercoats were chocolate.

The Royal Scot headboard is BR pattern from the fifties. The green colour is meant to look like tartan. The Caledonian had a similar shaped one, but from memory with two coats of arms in stead of one, but other named trains had boards of the conventional steam era shape.

I'd agree that the Swindon livery looked good, even in BR days, but only on GWR engines with plenty of glitter. It looked very mediocre on the other regions. Without the glitter, an A4, a Scot, a non-red Duchess or a Spam looked rather dull in that livery - not surprising that the Western kept their express engines cleaner than the other lines did.

--------------------

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

In reply to SPK, I totally agree. See this wonderful example from the Pittsburgh PCC era.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Well, I was only thinking of Europe. You don't have "trams" in North America!
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Until recently, trams have been a bit thin on the ground in the UK. A lot of systems were scrapped in the 1930s. The ones I can remember were interesting and attractive, but did not have very interesting liveries. There was one at Colwyn Bay that was still running open topped cars in the 1950s.

But - tangent alert - Midland General buses used to have a striking blue and cream livery, and the Barton one had all sorts of decorative flourishes on it, both much better than the pedestrian green or red liveries the various nationalised companies had.

--------------------

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Well, I was only thinking of Europe. You don't have "trams" in North America!

Yes they do (kind of)!

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
The only proper livery for streetcars is maroon and cream, as seen here.

Very nice!

Better than the pink we get round here, anyway!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

In the interest of pedantry, is there any significant difference between a "tram" and a "streetcar", other than the intervening pond?

And why are Light Rail Vehicles not "streetcars/trams"?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

There is zero difference between a tram and a streetcar, other than a large body of water. To wit, Skoda of the Czech Republic is one of the largest manufacturers of trams in Europe, and their designs are based on the President's Conference Committee design from North America, the Red Rockets that ruled Toronto for decades. Likewise Siemens put up a design used extensively in Europe when it bid for the next-generation streetcar contract for Toronto, the largest streetcar system in North America.

"Light Rail" includes streetcars but also includes lines like Portland's MAX system which run on mainly segregated lines. Light Rail systems usually stop at dedicated, large stations, essentially operating as a surface subway system.

Streetcars, at least as Toronto uses them, operate like buses on rail. Streetcar stops are on-demand by pulling the request rope, and stops are just signs on the sidewalk. Toronto's streetcars run mainly in-traffic and are bus-length. They don't run trains, though the next generation may have three or four articulations. They also have the high-capacity ALRV which are articulated like an Accordion Bus. Toronto's streetcars only run on dedicate Right-of-Ways on Spadina Avenue, the Queensway and Saint Clair Avenue. Spadina and St. Clair are modern upgrades.

Mechanically, most new light rail installations are AC with pantographs while Toronto's system is still DC with trolley poles.

Toronto's system is a bit of a problem because it's a classic street traction operation, of a kind that has mostly disappeared. Nobody really makes vehicles that will take the tight 90-degree turns in Toronto anymore. The TTC always knew it would have to have some major work done on any new design it bought.

There is also the political difference. "Light Rail" is futuristic and modern, streetcars are antiques. Though when the 510 Spadina route was built in the 1990's, it was initially called "Light Rail" and garnered considerable opposition. When it was explained that it was just going to be a new streetcar line, the opposition faded. Everyone knew was a streetcar was.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

When the Croydon (London) Tramlink opened in 2000, which is mostly light rail but with a bit of street running, the cars were painted in maroon and cream - they may still be.

And they did a nice thing: instead of numbring the cars 1,2,3 etc., they picked up the number sequence from the last London trams which retired in 1952. Someone had a sense of history!

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright SPK

Here is one to confuse you. This is a Sheffield Tram in the town centre. However at other places on the route tram stops may have more similarity to railway stations. Manchester is even worse with sometimes using old railway stations and sometimes bus stop sites. I have a feeling that trams cover now both light rail links and street cars.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to illustrate Manchester, at one stop and here where I oft caught a bus in my youth

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

In Lisbon, they just used to hang a sign from the overhead catenary saying "Paragem". Sometimes they painted the word on the road, too. Now they use proper "bus stop" type signs - not an improvement in the old city where the pavements are very narrow!
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Jengie:

Not really confusing, both are examples of modern "Light Rail" installations. Those lines operate more like railways than buses. It can be called a tram, or over here it would be a streetcar, but both are modern installations.

Toronto's system is different. It has survived relatively intact from the 1800's. The Yonge and University streetcar routes were torn out when the Yonge Subway line was built in the 1950's, and the Bay Street streetcar was likewise reduced to buses as Bay Street runs between Yonge St. and University Avenue on a North/South axis. The Bloor Streetcar was replaced by a subway in the 1960's.

The Spadina Streetcar route was torn out in the 1960's and rebuilt in the 1990's. Streetcars have always been a significant part of Toronto's transit system. In fact the traffic numbers on King Street reveal that King Street isn't really a road that happens to have streetcars, it's a streetcar route that happens to have automobiles as well. 70% of commuters on King Street use the streetcar.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

On all the comments about terminology, please disagree or correct me, but I think the answer is:-

Tram - street running vehicle. Originally horse drawn. Occasionally steam drawn in past, when encased. Later, invariably electric, usually from overhead wire, but in London centre third rail in a socket. In British Isles very frequently with an upstairs but these are rare elsewhere, and new British Isles tram systems use single-deckers.

Tramway - what a tram runs on. Usually has inlaid track. May also be used by heavy rail e.g. in docks, but if so cannot be used by trams.

Light rail - a railway governed by the Light Rail Act or equivalent, speed limit 25 mph, some safety relaxation, but usually on its own right of way. If standard gauge, usually also using ordinary heavy rail equipment, wagons etc, but sometimes engines had boards over their running gear. Passenger stock may have steps so people can get on and off away from platforms. Not usually electrified.

Heavy Rail - modern term for ordinary railway. Sort of opposite of light rail transit.

Streetcar - North American term more or less synonymous with tram.

Light rail transit - any sort of urban rail based transport system, whether using trams or with segregated running, that uses flimsier vehicles than heavy rail. In UK and possibly elsewhere, its vehicles are not allowed to run where they might be on the same track as heavy rail equipment that would win in a collision. In modern UK and Eire exclusively passenger and invariably electric.

Interurban - North American term for light rail transit that goes out into the countryside and connects more than one urban area.

Light rapid transit - term used by government etc to include guided busways and trolleybuses etc, so as to get the public to think that a bus system is as good as a proper tram. Conveniently for the deception, has the same initials. In England and Wales, includes anything apart from heavy rail or a waterway that requires a Transport and Works Act Order to promote it. So far as I know, as yet no one has claimed that an ordinary bus lane on its own counts as light rapid transit, but a guided busway system may include unguided sections that are ordinary bus lanes, and be sold to the public as part of the network.

Industrial siding - UK (and may include Eire) term for freight connection to factories etc. Exclusively freight but sometimes includes sections of tramway, and not fully signalled or gated. I think there's a different North American term for this, but do not know what it is. In modern UK worked by diesel shunters (North America, I think, switchers) and not electrified, even if connected to an electrified main line.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Back in the mists of time BS (Before Steam), the term "tramway" referred to some sort of guidance system for individual cars/wagons/waggons/trolleys moved by horses or gravity or (sometimes) men or wind.

Some of the early ones had L-shaped sections cut out of stones to make the "guided" way.

The term was still used in the early 1900's, before the street trams became the more common term, and is still used, as someone pointed out upthread for "aerial tramways" where individual "cars" move along a cableway.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

There is still a granite-railed tramway in existence on Dartmoor (Hay Tor) - it runs (on and off) for quite a long way and can be followed on foot. It used horse drawn trains.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

No, we call it a siding. Sometimes a spur.

You may be thinking of a team track, which was a railway-owned track for general loading in an industrial area. It's a really inefficient break-bulk system, often Less-than-Carload, though LCL is its own category really. Team tracks were done away with by the 1950's as trucks came around. Unless you are a coal mine or steel refinery, railways strongly prefer that you use trucks or containers and ship intermodally. The truck companies do to, I know one company I worked at was offered cheaper rates if they used Canadian Pacific to ship intermodally from Ontario to British Columbia.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

SPK, in this context, is a truck a lorry, (i.e. road vehicle) that one can put a container on? Also, what would 'ship intermodally' mean in this context? Does it mean consigning a container to one carrier to arrange the entire journey from collection to delivery, irrespective of whether by road, rail or boat, and leaving them to sort out how they do that, and which section of the journey goes on which mode?

There's another pond difference which may surprise y'all, which is that I think most of us on this side (or perhaps the older most of us) would tend to understand 'ship' as a verb meaning to send by boat. So 'shipping' by rail or by road sounds a bit odd.

In the past, when our railways were still interested in single wagon loads and part loads, they normally offered a collection and delivery service.

It was also possible to send envelopes with letters, papers etc in them from station to station, but the railways then had endless rows with the Post Office about its monopoly over collection and delivery beyond that point.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

The word "truck" has meant a road vehicle primarily intended for freight ("goods") since they became possible a hundred years ago.

But, to add further confusion, the four- or six-wheel unit at either end of a railway car is usually called a "truck", as well. All railway cars on this continent have at least 8 wheels, mounted in sets of 4 (rarely now 6) near each end of the car, with pivots to allow the "truck" to follow curves in the track.

"Trucking" is the act of driving the freight by road.

In the UK, "truck" would mean a railway goods-carrying four-wheeler, with "lorry" (from the French word "lourd" or heavy) or HGV meaning the road vehicle for freight.

And, yes, "intermodal" is now the basically universal word for containers that can be moved by rail, sea or road (or possibly air)

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

What HB calls a "truck" is, in Britain, a "bogie".

(Mind you, my Scottish wife says a bogie is one of those home-made handcart thingies with pram-wheels that kids had in the 1950s to race down hills. In London we called them, "go-carts").

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

In railway terms, a truck is a set of four wheels in a frame that can be either: one of two units under a long railway car (= a bogie), or: a four-wheel railway car (not to be confused with hand trucks, used for e.g. baggage, road trucks = lorries, or whatever other trucking thing you may have)

Going back again century or so, a lot of British passenger cars rolled on four wheels, while some had six wheels evenly spaced under the body with no adjustment for curves. Once the two-bogie arrangement became common, the new carriages were often called "bogies", meaning "a carriage mounted on two bogies". This usage died out once all the smaller cars were scrapped. Just about everything on the railways now rolls on two bogies, with exceptions such as the Spanish Talgo trains.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Just about everything on the railways now rolls on two bogies, with exceptions such as the Spanish Talgo trains.

and the execrable Pacers.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016