homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The SoF Railway Enthusiasts' Thread (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The SoF Railway Enthusiasts' Thread
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent questions indeed, especially re measurements and wheel profiles or flanges.

The Swiss system includes narrow gauge passenger carriages only, with the engines being changed.

Starting from the TALGO Wiki page linked above, however, I've found 'Wiki on Variable gauge' and then a few pictures, but without further explanation, of a recent Spanish TALGO "variable track width adjustable high-speed locomotive" here.

A lot to read up and find out, or so it seems. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting link. Lots of stuff about crash testing new designs of buffers and other things.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read this.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now read this:

quote:
Tractor bogie with incorporated gauge-change system
Downloadable pdf of complete 1998 TALGO patent application available, with illustrations. [Cool]

And even this, a more recent patent by a Japanese firm, from 2003 (pdf available):

quote:
Variable gauge bogie for rolling stock: The present invention provides a variable gauge bogie for a rolling stock which is capable of suppressing non-suspended weight and maintaining satisfactory steering performance. [Adaptable to a motor bogie]
I imagine that upon entering various search terms on that site, further documents will be found. Amazing.

Thanks to all for your inspiration and links.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh the joys of patent searching. We've lost Wesley J now: he may be back for Christmas.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

[Razz] [Big Grin]

One of my friends is a senior patent lawyer. He might even provide us with more hints... [Biased]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently got a book out of the local library on reminiscences of train spotting in the Burton on Trent area in the 1960s. It was published last year. It's got a lot of photographs taken at the time by both authors that a person is entitled to be very proud to have taken that young. One of the two authors, Richard Inwood, turns out to be Bishop of Bedford.

Do any shipmates know him or anything about him?
He doesn't conceal his identity in the book. Does any shipmate know how open he is in the diocese of St Albans about this guilty secret.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Does any shipmate know how open he is in the diocese of St Albans about this guilty secret.

Even more important, what do the Global South bishops say? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does any shipmate know how open he is in the diocese of St Albans about this guilty secret.

One also has to wonder if he occasionally bunks off his bishoply duties to "cop" a few BedPans on the Midland Main Line...

[ 28. May 2010, 13:43: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Just a little note to say that I keep reading the Purg thread title 'Modalism and the Trinity' as 'Modelism and the Trinity'. [Biased]

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Gwladys (currently sitting at her computer behind me) has just observed that this thread of ours is "slowing down; running out of steam; going off the rails." Such a string of bad puns is not to be tolerated!!!

So, has anybody any good pot boilers that we can discuss at length to take this thread comfortably over the 1400 mark?

I hesitate to throw in anything of my own ~ reading through the things I have added to this thread makes me look like a regular rivet counter ~ can somebody with a lighter turn of mind make any suggestions?

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, lighter fare.

OK, there's always the nickname that railways always seem to acquire, usually from the employees.

For instance the Kingston & Pembroke Railway here in Ontario was known to one and all as the "Kick and Push".

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of the Slow and Dirty; the Great Way Round; the Slow, Easy and Comfortable; the Muddle and Get Nowhere... and that's just in pre-1920s England. Many more where they came from - though that doesn't mean my memory.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Money Spent and Lost - no books here, but from memory that was the Manchester, Sheffield and Leicester (or maybe Lancashire). Can anyone help out?

The motto could apply to so many railways, started with bright ideas, not thought through. Bonds that ended up as wallpaper.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire. It changed its name to the Great Central when it built its London Extension. GC was assumed to stand (again with reference to the money) for Gone Completely.

The Great Eastern, which served East Anglia (very flat in Norfolk) was known as the Swedie.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MSL was also Muck,Sludge and Lightning. Then there was LMS: long, meandering and slow.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a variation, Anglo-Catholicism was known as London, Brighton and South Coast Religion.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our part of the world I believe that both the Great Eastern's Brightlingsea branch and the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Light Railway (certainly the first) were known as the "Crab and Winkle".

And of course the Waterloo & City was (and is) "The Drain".

There was once a suggestion that the North British Railway was alluded 2 in Genesis 1:24 as a "creeping thing".

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The railway that started some distance north of Vancouver with the intention of sometime arriving at Prince George and points north was entitled Pacific Great Eastern. But it operated as an isolated segment of track, serving no particular purpose, for about a generation, and was therefore known as the "Please Go Easy"

And there was a 20-mile branch line into forest land south of Petitcodiac, NB, that was known for some obscure reason as "The Prong"

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always heard the PGE was "Prince George, Eventually."

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Enoch. I remembered the Great Central had a conection with the line but had forgotten the Gone Completely.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
In our part of the world I believe that both the Great Eastern's Brightlingsea branch and the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Light Railway (certainly the first) were known as the "Crab and Winkle".

And of course the Waterloo & City was (and is) "The Drain".

There was once a suggestion that the North British Railway was alluded 2 in Genesis 1:24 as a "creeping thing".

My next door neighbour back home was on the last train on the Tollesbury branch, appears in one of the pictures in the book about it, and has the station sign to prove it....

It was also known as the Jam Line, because it served Wilkin's jam factory at Tiptree.

Don't forget God's Wonderful Railway!

[ 01. June 2010, 03:19: Message edited by: daviddrinkell ]

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

You mean the Great Way Round? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
It was also known as the Jam Line, because it served Wilkin's jam factory at Tiptree.

Which, I confess, turned up in yesterday's sermon about the Trinity (and NOT because you have to boil up the ingredients together). Mr. Wilkin was a good Congregationalist and there are some interesting exhibits of the local chapel (still open) in Wilkin & Co's museum.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was, of course, the Old Worse & Worse which ran between Oxford and Wolverhampton via Worcester.

Another local (to me) route was the Bumble Hole Line, with stops at Baptist End, Windmill End and Darby End. It all sounds quaintly bucolic until you realise it ran through the very heart of the industrial Black Country!

ETA: yes, that's the Windmill End that features at the end of the Flanders & Swann song "Slow Train" [Smile]

[ 01. June 2010, 13:38: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
You mean the Great Way Round? [Big Grin]

Oooooh! Heresy!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

quote:
quote:

Which, I confess, turned up in yesterday's sermon about the Trinity (and NOT because you have to boil up the ingredients together). Mr. Wilkin was a good Congregationalist and there are some interesting exhibits of the local chapel (still open) in Wilkin & Co's museum.
I used to play the organ at the chapel in Tiptree occasionally. It was an interesting beast - German - and pleasant enough tonally.

I was in Wilkin's museum a few weeks ago when I was home in Colchester on holiday. Some nice pics of the railway. I believe that one of the passenger carriages features in the film 'The Titfield Thunderbolt'. The visitor centre at Wilkin's is always worth going to. Great cream teas and an excellent shop with a wide range of their products - and they do make the best jam in the world!

--------------------
David

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

From a website on the "Titfield Thunderbolt":

quote:
The coach which is used in the early part of the film, until it is “wrecked” in the crash, dated from 1884 when it was one of a pair acquired for use on the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway (W&U) where they were numbered 7 and 8. After passenger services on the W&U ceased in 1928 they were transferred to the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Light Railway where they remained until that line closed on 5th May 1951. They were then stored at Stratford Depot in East London. No 8 was used for filming and was returned to Stratford when filming ended, with the intention of preservation - this did not happen and it was broken up sometime during 1954.
No.7 still exists and has recently been restored on the North Norfolk Railway: look at this page on their website.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

PS According to the National Pipe Organ Register the organ at Tiptree is not German but built by the very English Hill, Norman and Beard in the 1940s.
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

quote:
PS According to the National Pipe Organ Register the organ at Tiptree is not German but built by the very English Hill, Norman and Beard in the 1940s.

Actually, it was built by Walcker of Ludwigsburg for a client (possibly a private house) in Scotland. Walckers' built a number of organs in Scotland. Hill, Norman & Beard moved it and installed it at Tiptree in about 1948. Its predecessor is in Pakefield Church, Suffolk.

Just eating bread spread with Wilkin's Blackberry Conserve. Yummy!

--------------------
David

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

The Titfield Thunderbolt was filmed on the line that ran from Limpley Stoke (between Bath and Westbury) up through Monkton Combe and Camerton to Hallatrow that was on the line from Bristol to Frome. There's also a scene filmed at Temple Meads.

Going back to curious names, the line from Wroxham between Norwich and Cromer and County School between Wymondham and Wells was referred to as the Round the World line. I think this may have been because some trains on it ran from Norwich to Norwich, but took over two hours to do so. There was a legend that where it went under the M&GN somewhere in the middle of Norfolk, crews on the upstairs line (the M&GN) had been known to pelt crews on the lower line with lumps of coal and actually caused injuries.

Another odd name. the service on the line between Weedon, Daventry and Warwick was referred to as the Gusher. Does anyone know why?

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Anyone from the Lancashire-Yorkshire borders remember the `Barlick Spud'? Or, further north, Bonnyface possibly spelt Boniface?

The former was the shuttle on the 2 mile Barnoldswick branch, from Earby on the Skipton to Colne line. (Hopefully the latter, though not the former, could shortly be reinstated). Bonnyface/Boniface was the (latterly once-a-day) train from Garsdale (on the Settle-Carlisle line) to Hawes.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

From Baptist Trainfan :

quote:

The old joke about the Long Island Rail Road: It was created by God be cause He made all things that creepeth and crawleth.

--------------------

daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

quote:
The Titfield Thunderbolt was filmed on the line that ran from Limpley Stoke (between Bath and Westbury) up through Monkton Combe and Camerton to Hallatrow that was on the line from Bristol to Frome. There's also a scene filmed at Temple Meads.

That's right, but I remember sitting in a train on the Bluebell Railway in Sussex back in the sixties and listening to the guard regale an American tourist about how The Titfield Thunderbolt had been filmed on the Bluebell line and the branch engine was 'Stepney' (in those days I was too young to know the difference between a GWR 0-4-2 and a Stroudley Terrier). He even claimed to have been the guard who waved the train off.

It was years and years before I realised it had been a wind-up......

--------------------
David

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Which of us hasn't wanted to drive a GWR 0-4-2 tank through the streets? I know I have.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Oh, I don't know, driving an A4 Pacific through the streets might be more fun. Mind you, it would block up the traffic something terrible ...

The industrial locomotives of two of the shipyards in Glasgow travelled along the street tramways. For this reason the Glasgow tram track gauge was about 4'7", allowing the locos to ride on their flanges within the groove of the tram rails.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

And what about "Shannon"/"Jane" on the Wantage Tramway? Or the Irish line which went down the main street of Fivemiletown (not forgetting the sea front at Wexford)? Or the many lines which go down Main Street, US?

And watch the middle section (about 4 minutes in)of this marvellous video of a Hungarian narrow-gauge network. Sadly it closed about 6 months ago.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

There was also the Wisbech and Outwell tramway, the extension of the Welshpool and Llanfair down to Welshpool station, and some street running in Dundee.

The difference is that in the Titfield Thunderbolt the engine managed to do that without rails.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Indeed. One wonders how it was supposed to have steered?

I must say that it looks rather good in the film!

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
There was also the Wisbech and Outwell tramway, the extension of the Welshpool and Llanfair down to Welshpool station, and some street running in Dundee.

And of course Weymouth.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Indeed. One wonders how it was supposed to have steered?

It didn't. They hit a tree. [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I'll see your movie, and raise you reality.

In 1998 Southern Quebec and Eastern Ontario experienced heavy freezing rain, the Ice Storm of 1998. It left ice 2 inches thick on trees and power lines. It brought down a good many power lines, particularly the long-distance transmission lines.

In Boucherville, Quebec CN 3502 was lifted off the rails by crane, placed onto the street, and driven down the road for 1000 feet. It was then hooked up to the local grid and used as a generator for several weeks.

CN 3555 was similarly lifted off the rails and driven down the street in Coteau, Quebec for use as a generator as well.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From Wikipedia, see "Service as Power Generators in Winter 1998"

quote:
Both engines suffered minor gear case damage and carved grooves in the pavement.
[Cool]

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the mention of the Welshpool Town extension, I recall that I said that Welshpool council were undertaking a feasibility study into the possibility of rebuilding the line. At the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway Preservation Co Ltd AGM on Saturday, we had an update on this study. The council have concluded that rebuilding the line would not be feasible.

It is important to understand the background to this finding, specifically that the study assumed that the council will be responsible for the bulk of the cost. Given the current economic conditions, it would have been surprising had the study came to any other conclusion. What is important is that the project has been turned down on grounds of cost, not of policy. So the door remains open, provided the money can be found.

Which is not exactly a minor problem ... [Frown]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was street-running on the first railway to reach Newport(Gwent) until 1929.

The railway closed to passenger traffic in 1880 and Good traffic in 1907. The GWR maintained it's right of way on these roadside lines by the annual passage of a light locomotive on Good Friday, until 1929 when the GWR disposed of the land to Newport Corporation. Part of this line ran opposite what is now the Royal Gwent Hospital!

There were also the lines to Dock Street and Mill Street stations, although these stations were not used for passenger use, apart from a short period in 1927 when re-signaling work was being done on High Street station. Apparently crowds turned out to watch GWR expresses cross and run along busy roads!

All this information comes from "Forgotten Railways of South Wales" by James Page, which was first published in 1979. I got my copy in Hay-on-Wye, in the special little bookshop that Dad and I enjoy! The book is very informative and helpful, particularly for unravelling the spaghetti like Railway system of ages past.

I belief that the Mumbles railway was roadside for part of it's journey....indeed I can't see how else it could have got to Mumbles pier, without following Volk's "Daddy-long-legs" as a prototype!

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
In Boucherville, Quebec CN 3502 was lifted off the rails by crane, placed onto the street, and driven down the road for 1000 feet. It was then hooked up to the local grid and used as a generator for several weeks.

Sweet! That would be one hell of a cop... [Cool]

On the subject of street running, there's still one small outpost of the UK national network where this exists - the Weymouth Harbour Tramway. OK, it hasn't been used in ages, but there are those who want to see it back carrying passengers for the 2012 olympic sailing events.

I remember one family holiday back in the 80s when I walked alongside a "Crompton" (see top pic on that link) for virtually the whole tramway section. The driver even stopped blowing his horn once he realised I wasn't going to dart out in front of him [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The throttle was placed in the Run 3 notch to get it as close to 60 HZ as possible (hookup was before the rectifier on the generator side).

A solider from the Militia guarded the locomotive at all times to keep the curious away from such a jerry-rigged contraption.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In the UK, we used a loco in 1976 to excite one of our 300MW generators, following a breakdown of the main exciter.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
In the UK, we used a loco in 1976 to excite one of our 300MW generators, following a breakdown of the main exciter.

Excuse me ... this is a family-friendly board!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Strangely Warmed
Apprentice
# 13188

- Posted      Profile for Strangely Warmed   Email Strangely Warmed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I always heard the PGE was "Prince George, Eventually."

A third variant reading was "Past God's Endurance", presumably referring to the rebuilt line through the very toney suburb of West Vancouver. The railway opened a line from North Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay in 1914, abandoned it in 1928 due to competition from municipal bus service, but did not relinquish the right of way. Neighbouring homeowners gradually forgot about the old railway, allowing gardens and other trappings of suburbia to encroach upon it, but were rudely reminded of it when it was rebuilt in 1956 in order to provide a through route from Vancouver to Prince George and the north. No doubt, having lengthy freight trains rumble past, over, or through your strawberries was thought to be "past God's endurance."

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016