homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the thread about the RC Rite in CofE churches it was pointed out that a lot of liturgy video is now on the web. So I thought it would be good to have a thread where people can post links to such videos and folks can offer their comments on them.

I'll kick things of with this video of an RC ordination to the priesthood. It has only the rite of ordination itself, omitting the liturgy of the word and eucharist. It's not too bad, if somewhat lacking in theatrics. My favorite part is the hippie Jesuit who helps to vest the new priest.

[Title edit: T², Eccles Host]

[ 28. May 2013, 14:33: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually, it was the Indult thread.

--------------------

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's with the applause at the beginning?!

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by lazystudent:
What's with the applause at the beginning?!

Ordinations to the priesthood are so rare these days that people just can contain themselves.

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

erm, that is, "people just can't contain themselves.

Doh!

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just seen the first few minutes. The applause, and the sense that Fr Shawn is amongst friends, seems good to me. And the relative rarity of RC ordinations these days is a good thing if it means that this is made easier: to this Anglican, our cathedral ordinations can be very impersonal.

Tat-note though: he is clearly wearing a cassock alb, with which I unlike some other Ecclesiantophiles, have no problem. Except that such vestments are usually designed to be worn without girdle: to use one, as he is doing, means among other things that 15cm or so of trouser leg is unnecessarily revealed.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's one I rather like - it's a vocations promo for the Archdiocese of New York. Provokes lot's of questions for me.

Thanks to the shipmate [Biased] who pointed me towards it.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is a GREAT video.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Charlotte, it is a great video and a creative idea. I see it's had a significant number of views, too.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love it! Thank you TT

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. It's well made. But, my goodness, I'm not into sacramental missiology. I find that very disturbing, especially the 'special effects' bit where people reach out to the guy carrying the monstrance. Very weird, IMHO!
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We musn't forget the Gospel Procession at St. Nicholas, which was posted here last Eastertide.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well yes Numpty, that's why you are a prod and not a Kattolick.

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
That is a GREAT video.

Charlotte

Let's hope it's successful. The NY Archdioces has a terrible record of new vocations to the priesthood for whatever reason.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a homely video of an Orthodox mission Liturgy in Preston, Lancashire ... Preparation of the Gifts.
Preparation of the Gifts

Here's a nice educational video for children ...

Greek Orthodox Worship

And this is a lovely compilation ...

"The Orthodox Church, a Visual Journey"

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some Lifeteen videos....

dancing!

and again... more good stuff

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now for something completely different:
Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia vocations video.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Consécration épiscopale de Mgr Jérôme Beau et Mgr Jean-Yves Nahmias

Worth it for les grandes orgues and the thurible!

Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Well yes Numpty, that's why you are a prod and not a Kattolick.

I was about to respond to Numpty's post, in a kind of 'I'm not really into this kind of thing either but.....' way, and then read yours! I'm a prod, too, but found the procession of the Sacrament video really quite moving and challenging. In a way I thought it encapsulated vocation to ministry very appropriately.
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smile when you say "Protestant", TT! Some of us do understand the sacraments. [Biased]

I hope that video works in the way it was intended. It was a beautiful witness as well as being a real "God in the City" slice-of-life. (Although I do suspect that some of the staring passers-by are not thinking holy thoughts, but "WTF is that?!")

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What struck me in the "Jesus in New-York" video was how the Uncreated Light struck the Monstrance as the procession entered the church....

But then, maybe that's because I'm one of the Orthodoxen who hopes we'll all be together again some day and see that Light as one great Church.

Best wishes,

Mary

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Ah, Amazing Grace, you see I was being generous to all you non-Roman Catholics who are not protestants [Biased]

Did I just say that [Eek!] [Snigger]

Thanks Fifi for the ND de Paris link. As if I have not had enough with saying Mass all day, now I spend Sunday night watching videos of Mass! It's like something out of Fr Ted [Big Grin]

Several things struck me in the French episcopal ordination video, and this will show you just what an anorak I sadly am.

1. Poor old Cardinal Lustiger really is getting old and frail.
2. I have never liked that naff nave altar, but I have always loved the French style in Liturgy - when it's done with dignity. This one was no disappointment. And priestly ordinations are moving enough - episcopal ordinations are spine tinglingly so. The words are majestic, as are the symbols.
3. SEIGNEUR JESU! Where the fek did they get that chasuble???? ALL those chasubles for that matter! [Projectile]
4. Likewise the thurible [Eek!]
5. But the ampule for the Chrism was magnifique
6. What an odd pastoral staff Abp Vingt-Trois has - never seen anyone but the Pope (in the Roman Rite) carry a cross as a crosier. Anyone know anything about this?
7. I found it curious that the bishops-elect processed in wearing their new purple zuchettos, but it was not put back on their heads before the mitre. I am pretty sure that at all the episcopal ordinations I have been to here in Angleterre the zuchetto has only been plopped on their heads after the anointing with chrism.
8. When the mitres were put on their heads, there was an accompanying form of words. This is an oddity - is it a French innovation? In the Rite itself it specifies the mitre is put on in silence.
9. I really did not like the French form of the interrogation. In English the bishop-elect is asked "Are you resolved ...." Response: "I am". French "Voulez vous ..." "Oui, je veux a" [Disappointed]
10. I was glad they resisted the temptation (sadly succumbed to in Fr Shawn Connoboy's ordination linked to above) to have a melody played during the laying on of hands. It's power lies in the absolute silence - even if prolonged.
11. Oi, but the Eucharistic Prayer sung in French is a thing of beauty. I am swooning after hearing it again.

Well done Fifi!

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post 
What a mixed bag!

Can't say I thought much of Max's conga and okey-cokey (Sp?). Frankly you might as well bung a crucifix up in a disco! Max - you cannot be serious.

To a lesser extent the jiving gospel procession was comical. Is it not possible to be modern without losing all dignity?

The Dominican Sisters seemed like a bunch of good eggs and very sporty girls too.

I thought that the nave altar, vestments and virtually everything else about the Notre Dame service looked passe. Surely the installation of a bishop should merit some chunky gold chasubles?

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another RC vocations video, this one from the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (to whom I once upon a time offered my own vocation).

It's really almost too much. The guy sounds like a male Isabella Rosselini.

[I especially enjoyed the priest absolving the dude in the middle of a random field - but with proper stole, of course]

[ 23. October 2006, 00:26: Message edited by: Liturgy Queen ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ah, Amazing Grace, you see I was being generous to all you non-Roman Catholics who are not protestants [Biased]

Did I just say that [Eek!] [Snigger]

You did, and due to the new policy for thread storage, the evidence will be washing around in the Ship's bilges for the foreseeable future.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I hope that video works in the way it was intended. It was a beautiful witness as well as being a real "God in the City" slice-of-life.

Charlotte

I've never heard of a consecrated wafer being called a 'slice-of-life' before but I guess you might stretch your theology that far if you wanted to. [Razz]
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread has me wondering if there is any videos that would illustrate the customery at the Eucharist? This has been an idea for teaching new servers but hasn't gotten off the ground at my parish.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgy Queen:
Another RC vocations video, this one from the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (to whom I once upon a time offered my own vocation).

This doesn't work for me. I just get a blue screen. I have Flash Player installed and I've re-installed it just to make sure but it still doesn't work. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps go here instead and click on "watch the video"?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, thank you! That works, and I see what you mean about the accent. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fifi:
Consécration épiscopale de Mgr Jérôme Beau et Mgr Jean-Yves Nahmias

Worth it for les grandes orgues and the thurible!

What a grand and joyous event to watch! Thank you for posting the video of such a grand ordination Mass. The Notre Dame great organ at full tilt really does give one goosbumps.

Heaven's! I was drawn in to watch the whole thing begimnning to end. I'll be dreaming in French tonight. [Axe murder]

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
What a grand and joyous event to watch! Thank you for posting the video of such a grand ordination Mass. The Notre Dame great organ at full tilt really does give one goosbumps.

Heaven's! I was drawn in to watch the whole thing begimnning to end. I'll be dreaming in French tonight. [Axe murder]

Same here! Wonderful. I may have a nightmare about that bizarre thurible, though. But I did like the aggressive swinging of the thurible as the Gospel was read. Almost expected to see a note on the screen with the French version of "Do not adjust your TV; the smoky picture is not the fault of your set." [Big Grin] I love parallel actions like that: the thurible swung and smoke produced both at the proclamation of the Gospel and at the elevation of the Body and Blood of Christ. Visually, it says, "Here is where something holy is happening; here is where God is giving grace to his people; and our prayers of thanks, praise, and supplication rise billowing to heaven."
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
I thought that the nave altar, vestments and virtually everything else about the Notre Dame service looked passe.

You're right. That building was positively medieval. You can't get more passe than that.

The rainbow chasubles were vile. But I still thought the whole thing was pretty well done. I even sort of liked the Star Wars thurible.

--------------------

Vesture, Posture, Gesture
Shipmate
# 10614

- Posted      Profile for Vesture, Posture, Gesture     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One site no one has mentioned is this one, one which surely is rather important !!!!

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/television/multimedia/archivio_en.html

--------------------
An undergraduate proudly told Benjamin Jowett, the great 19th Century Classicist that he was an agnostic. Jowett replied "Young man, in this university we speak Latin not Greek, so when speaking of yourself in that way, use the word ignoramus"

Posts: 427 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post 
FCB said
quote:
You're right. That building was positively medieval. You can't get more passe than that.

Well I am not sure that there is much of Notre Dame which could be classified as truly mediaeval apart from perhaps the design. It was given a pretty hefty going over by Violet-le-Duc in the nineteenth century.

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Vesture, Posture, Gesture:
One site no one has mentioned is this one, one which surely is rather important !!!!
http://www.vatican.va/news_services/television/multimedia/archivio_en.html

Ahhh! Oui, bien mieux que Cannes. J'aime des films italiens!
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Ah, yes, much better than Cannes! I love Italian films."

Did I get it right?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
"Ah, yes, much better than Cannes! I love Italian films."

Did I get it right?

Eh, oui. Complètement correct!
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

[Killing me]

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Wonder what you will make of this video.

Curiously, there was no comment on these boards, but last week the Anglican and Catholic bishops of England met together for the first time - would you believe it! It's taken this long for that to happen [Eek!]

The video is of Solemn Vespers in Leeds Cathedral. Lots to see and comment on! Watch for the Cardinal yawning!

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God's children in God's house, so beautiful.

M

--------------------

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laurence
Shipmate
# 9135

- Posted      Profile for Laurence   Email Laurence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I only had a chance to look at the opening procession in a moment of insomnia last night- but I think it's wonderful! Leaving aside the joy of seeing Englishmen of two great churches worshipping together, there were some hilarious moments. Particular highlights for me were:

- The opportunity to compare Roman and Anglican choir dress- the sleeves on a rochet really do give it an 18th century feel!

- The way that some of the Anglican bishops very deliberately crossed themselves with water from the font, others ignored it, and one in particular did a convulsive little embarrassed spasm towards it! The RCs, however, knew exactly what to do- smooth movements, no ostentation or hesitation.

- The fact that many of the Catholic bishops were entirely terrified of the idea of singing the opening hymn, while the Anglicans happily belted it out.

- The look on the Bishop of Leeds' face when he realised that Vivaldi's Gloria was a bit too long to stand through, but that he would look even sillier if he sat down...

More gems!

L.

Posts: 648 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurence:
quote:

I only had a chance to look at the opening procession in a moment of insomnia last night- but I think it's wonderful! Leaving aside the joy of seeing Englishmen of two great churches worshipping together, there were some hilarious moments. Particular highlights for me were:

- The opportunity to compare Roman and Anglican choir dress- the sleeves on a rochet really do give it an 18th century feel!

- The way that some of the Anglican bishops very deliberately crossed themselves with water from the font, others ignored it, and one in particular did a convulsive little embarrassed spasm towards it! The RCs, however, knew exactly what to do- smooth movements, no ostentation or hesitation.

- The fact that many of the Catholic bishops were entirely terrified of the idea of singing the opening hymn, while the Anglicans happily belted it out.

- The look on the Bishop of Leeds' face when he realised that Vivaldi's Gloria was a bit too long to stand through, but that he would look even sillier if he sat down...

More gems!

L.

I am disappointed he did not hold his hands before his breast at times. It looked undignfied under his cope. And where was the crossing at the Magnificat? And +Williams half rising then sitting when he realised +Roche was doing so.

[ 24. November 2006, 14:42: Message edited by: RCD ]

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Gosh! The dangers of video and the things that get noticed! It can become "fernseed and elephants", to use C.S. Lewis's image, when we can strain a video for every little gesture.

I did not think it was his hands that were the issue but rather the fulsome and flowing nature of the cope. When he is standing he has his hands demurely together, but going up steps and so on he is holding back garments so he can actually move! You can see his alb and cassock being lifted when he first arrives. Have you ever tried going up steps in an alb and cope? Maybe if he slowed down a bit it would help.

But it can be a salutary lesson for clergy to watch themselves. When I first saw a video of a Mass I had celebrated it was cringeworthy noticing my twitches and glances and odd little unintended gestures.

Funniest part for me was Bp Roche trying to get the bookbearer to go away with some sidelong glances after the "Deus in adiutorium"

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

I was impressed by the bishop's ability as a singer. Nice to hear a bishop who's not afraid to chant his part.

Conversely, I was a bit annoyed that the deacon didn't sing his part of the litany. How hard can it be?

And was it just my imagination or did they omit the NT Canticle after the psalms?

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

My old and ugly core of spikyness came back to bite me when they didn't bow at "et sanctum Nomen Eius" in the Magnificat, but I enjoyed hearing the robust singing of the Salve.

M

[Latin speling]

[ 24. November 2006, 19:03: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

I spotted that too, FCB. And I think the issue with the sign of the cross at the Magnificat is that it had no antiphon - which probably caught people by surprise.

I think the music etc was beautiful but a little OTT. The first psalm was a very ambitious one, musically, for an oik like me. The last hymn was superfluous. It seems to me they crammed too much in that was unnecessary, so omitted some elements - a noble simplicity would have been better IMO. Maybe one psalm to Anglican chant, one to plainchant would have worked?

But that's just me being a pathologist now. Overall, I thought it was beautiful, so don't want to give the impression I thought the minutiae spoilt the whole.

I noticed the ABC singing the Salve Regina at the end, without the help of the booklet.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have no sound on my computer at work, so I'm just scrolling through looking at things...

Dude. Do I have to get my sensei in here to teach the bishies (on BOTH sides) how to bow?

Did anyone else catch one of the choir members giggling about 1/4 of the way through the vid? And anyone know who the giggling chorister is and can they give him my phone number? He's cute.

The mitre's nice and classically understated. I don't know about the chassie, with the white-on-white decorations he looks like he's wearing my grandma's good tablecloth.

And now the feed's crapped out. I've stuck it on del.icio.us for later perusal.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep:
I
Did anyone else catch one of the choir members giggling about 1/4 of the way through the vid? And anyone know who the giggling chorister is and can they give him my phone number? He's cute.

Yes, I caught that, too. How unprofessional [Biased] (I mean about the giggling, not your wanting him to have your phone number!!)

Fantastic video. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

I was not bothered by the OTT choir work, especially because it was a combined C of E and R C choir, which was a first in its own right, I imagine.

I wish there'd been more camera shots of the choir--I missed out on the gigglers! [Biased] That always happens in choirs, even in Orthodox choirs singing in Slavonic.

By the way, that nice Our Father was chanted to one of our chants, adapted, I think, from a setting by Rachmaninov! That made me very happy!

M

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016