homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gospodi pomilui pronounced as "Haaaaspodi pomilwi".

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And there are some Shillong youtube revivals which also have an Australian preacher in Assam!

And there are several other youtube videos on the right - most seem to be up in North Eastern India.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
**Bumping this thread so we can share our collective knowledge of online Easter (and Holy Week and Holy Triduum) liturgies. Perhaps on this solemn feast we can take a loose interpretation to the thread title and share decent audio as well?!**

Trinity Wall Street (choice of video or audio) -- Palm Sunday, Triduum, Easter

Washington National Cathedral (choice of video or audio) -- Palm Sunday, Easter -- see also here

Grace Cathedral San Francisco (audio only) -- Palm Sunday so far

S. Clement's Philadelphia (audio only) -- so far only updated to Passion Sunday, but will most likely post the others ASAP

St. Thomas Toronto (audio only) -- through the Easter Vigil so far, updated regularly, Easter Day most likely posted once the liturgy is actually finished!

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Roman Catholic] Church of the Holy Family -- (audio only, not archived) -- updated as far as Lent V
angelicum
Shipmate
# 13515

- Posted      Profile for angelicum   Email angelicum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy week from the Dominican House of Studies, Washington DC

I'm watching the video of the Veneration of the Cross and I like their distinctive OP style of doing three double genuflections. Very rad-trad.

Posts: 364 | From: Full in the panting heart | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pillar of fire, indeed, at the Easter Vigil.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Treatise
Shipmate
# 4255

- Posted      Profile for Treatise   Email Treatise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are audio and photos from Our Lady of Lourdes, Philadelphia as well as pictures and some audio from the Easter Vigil at S. Clement's.

http://jdtreat.com/holyweek08.htm

Posts: 227 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Easter Mass at Our Lady of Fatima in Florida, which used to be an independent Sedevacantist chapel, but whose current pastor seems to be reconsidering his position on the matter.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The S. Clement's Corpus Christi 2007 DVD is now available for purchase. I watched it last night and it is very well produced.
jmoskal
Shipmate
# 5192

- Posted      Profile for jmoskal   Email jmoskal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok. Can someone explain the meaning behind this video..especially from the middle to the end of the video. Don't mean to knock anyone but this is a first for me.

Closing Hymn of Palm Sunday on Youtube

Posts: 86 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jmoskal:
Ok. Can someone explain the meaning behind this video..especially from the middle to the end of the video. Don't mean to knock anyone but this is a first for me.

God no! Not the flags again!!!! [Paranoid]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I can actually see flags at the start of the service. People are waiving around palms, perhaps a few flags don’t clash that bad- maybe not traditional, but not that there's anything wrong with that. I haven’t seen the entire liturgy, so I will not comment about how well they fit in at the end (even if I could see the entire liturgy, that discussion would probably belong in hell anyway). I do have to say that I got a kick out of the limp-wristed kid with the red flag (and by that, I mean the fact that he is letting his wrist do all the swinging, and I sure wouldn’t want him as my doubles partner), and the person with the very loud very upper-Midwestern American voice who must be standing next to the camera or microphone.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:

I can actually see flags at the start of the service. People are waiving around palms, perhaps a few flags don’t clash that bad- maybe not traditional, but not that there's anything wrong with that. I haven’t seen the entire liturgy, so I will not comment about how well they fit in at the end (even if I could see the entire liturgy, that discussion would probably belong in hell anyway). I do have to say that I got a kick out of the limp-wristed kid with the red flag (and by that, I mean the fact that he is letting his wrist do all the swinging, and I sure wouldn’t want him as my doubles partner), and the person with the very loud very upper-Midwestern American voice who must be standing next to the camera or microphone.
I suppose ( very reluctantly) that there might be a tenuous link to the flags in the context of a triumphal entry into Jerusalem, but why does the clergyperson have to hail a cab several times during that hymn???? [Paranoid]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

This one had my daughter and I in stitches. As the old baseball announcers used to say, he's swinging for the fences!
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
This one had my daughter and I in stitches. As the old baseball announcers used to say, he's swinging for the fences!

[Eek!] What is the opposite of "goldilocks" - where it would be better to be either too hot or too cold? He needed to either be restrained in his censing or go completely all out.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always found that gentleman's censing (I don't know his name, but he's frequently been thurifer when I've been there) entrancing to watch, though I'm often a little nervous on the boat girl's behalf.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
highchurc
Shipmate
# 11491

- Posted      Profile for highchurc   Email highchurc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This one had my daughter and I in stitches.

You say that the thurifer "had your daughter and ME in sticthes?"
Posts: 234 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Well, to be fair, while I did mess up the grammar in that post, I did not say "sticthes," but to mention that in response to your query would make me sound like a bitter, pedantic old man, and we wouldn't want that.

*makes the Bill Laimbeer "who, me?" gesture at ref's whistle*

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by highchurc:
quote:
This one had my daughter and I in stitches.

You say that the thurifer "had your daughter and ME in sticthes?"
hostly albe ON

highchurc -

your repeated disruption of threads to make snarky comments about posters' grammar is jerkish behaviour. It is, in other words, in violation of the Ten Commandments to which you signed up when you joined the Ship.

Stop it.

hostly albe OFF

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I'll remember too look at this vid before our Corpus Christi procession. (Maybe I'll throw in a 360) [Biased]

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
PentEcclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12098

- Posted      Profile for PentEcclesiastic   Email PentEcclesiastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Dear Lord, that is just awful! If the incense is a symbol of the prayers of the faithful going to Heaven, I guess the congregation was really yelling!

I laughed when I saw it but more out of contempt than humor.

--------------------
We are called to be Holy.

Posts: 186 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
highchurc
Shipmate
# 11491

- Posted      Profile for highchurc   Email highchurc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
[QUOTE]

highchurc -

your repeated disruption of threads....

MY repeated disruption of threads, indeed!

This is most surely the pot calling the kettle beige.

Posts: 234 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!]

This is not strictly an eccles video, but highchurc's attempt to hump dj's leg put me in mind of this:

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by highchurc:
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
[QUOTE]

highchurc -

your repeated disruption of threads....

MY repeated disruption of threads, indeed!

This is most surely the pot calling the kettle beige.

highchurc, if you wish to dispute a host's admonition, please do so in Styx.

Since you continue to ignore and/or sneer at moderation by the the hosts of Ecclesiantics, I am bringing your behavior to the attention of the Admins.

jlg/Ecclesiantics Host

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, there are many things worth commenting on in this video of the closing liturgy of the California Call to Action (a reform group in the Catholic Church that originated in the late 60s) conference.

All I'll say is: the giant puppets really creep me out.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!]

All I'll say is it's the sort of thing that would drive me into the arms of the New Liturgical Movement and being an extraordinary form devotee!

Whew! Deeply whacky.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

Aw, c'mon guys, at least tell us that you learned some new dance moves to use while sprinkling the people. Or perhaps you learned when to clap during the Gloria.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish dissident groups would have decent liturgies. I remember being at a Dignity Mass and having a crisis of conscience when they started "passing the plate" - of Hosts! I was loathe to handle the species, but I was probably the only one in the room with that problem. In fact, I was probably the only person to hold membership in both Dignity and Una Voce. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
[Eek!]

All I'll say is it's the sort of thing that would drive me into the arms of the New Liturgical Movement and being an extraordinary form devotee!

Whew! Deeply whacky.

So I hope you now understand the liturgical road rage that some of us suffer from - though the NLM people are often too extreme even for me.

The only time that puppets have been used successfully in a liturgical service that I know of was the funeral of Jim Henson - but surely that was an extraordinary occasion for an extraordinary person. It is hard to imagine how this would be appropriate for anyone else, especially when one considers some puppeteers like Wayland Flowers.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

It seems that life-sized puppets were also used at the Palm Sunday and Easter masses at the (in)famous St. Joan of Arc Parish, Minneapolis. I'm all for entertaining the kiddies, but read and weep.

Video here.

I wonder if they are the same people that are in the Central California video?

[ 07. May 2008, 21:23: Message edited by: Frito Bandito ]

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know you were snarking at it, Bandito, but thanks for the link.

Religious response is the oddest thing. I was unexpected moved to tears by that link. Fabulous puppeteering.

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Treatise
Shipmate
# 4255

- Posted      Profile for Treatise   Email Treatise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I wonder if they are the same people that are in the Central California video?
Sadly, I can verify that there are cells of the big puppet people everywhere. Wherever you find injustice, wherever you find people who think NPR is a Republican conspiracy, wherever someone has had his consciousness raised above his intelligence and there is a supply of newspaper, flour, water, and framing lumber, you will find the puppets.

I think the first outbreak might have been here.

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually, I didn't mind the St. Joan's video at all (wow, never thought I'd say that). But it was obviously a liturgy for kids, and not a bunch of infantalized senior citizens. Also, it told a story that was central to the Christian faith. I'm not sure what the hell the CTA puppets were supposed to be about.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frito Bandito:

Video here.

Did anyone else see that and think about the original "Whicker Man"? That movie scared the hell out of me, and I don't want flashbacks at mass. I know these people mean well, but having seen that film a few too many times, I might have run screaming from the building as soon as I saw the giant animal masks.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cringed at the racial and (dis)ability tokenism. Liturgy has much to learn from the experiences of inter-cultural performances.

On the other hand, I loved the passion play from St Joan's. It was a good use of Greek theatrical convention of masks. It was participatory theatre; it was moving; it was well performed.

Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An ordination of two priests at Our Lady's University.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
The video is bad,but here's something from last sunday's mass

Just seen this - he censes the oblations the wrong way round i.e. 2 clockwise and 1 anti-clockwise.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's facing the wrong way around also!

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
The video is bad,but here's something from last sunday's mass

Just seen this - he censes the oblations the wrong way round i.e. 2 clockwise and 1 anti-clockwise.
still a beautiful and reverent celebration of the Mass

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looked rather sloppy to me.
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
It looked rather sloppy to me.

How did I know that comment would be coming? [Biased] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

'Cause I am an Anglican.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

[Overused] Beautiful! Especially the Gloria (one of my favourite settings)

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

[Overused] Beautiful! Especially the Gloria (one of my favourite settings)

Max

The liturgies from U Notre Dame are usually quite impressive. You can subscribe to the podcast here. They used to televise them, but when it moved to 7AM Sunday I quickly lost interest. I think it has since been taken off the air.

Even when the choir is gone on holiday (rare) and they use a simple old-standby setting like Proulx's Community Mass, it is impressive. I do remember one "local practice" custom of theirs--they kneel during the Kyrie-Confession in Advent and Lent.

I actually recognized a couple of the concelebrant priests from their service years ago as altar servers (acolytes?--the ones wearing black next to the celebrant).

ND is only a couple hours' drive for me. They have a summers-only Liturgical Studies program that I have considered, just for fun.

[ 25. May 2008, 18:33: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

Did anybody recognize the first lector from the ND ordination mass? It looks a lot like Joseph Imesch, former Bishop of Joliet.

It does seem odd to me that a bishop would be a lector at mass, and unvested.

Angelus
Shipmate
# 10081

- Posted      Profile for Angelus   Email Angelus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The ordination service at Sacred Heart Basilica is rather beautiful, and very moving.

At the end, the two newly ordained priests gave the Bishop a blessing - is this usual? I've never seen or heard of it before.

A

--------------------
Praise to the Holiest in the height,
and in the depth be praise;
in all his words most wonderful,
most sure in all his ways!

Posts: 74 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

lovely but why the horrid alternate version of the Litany of the Saints and why the intrusive cantor with hands all a-flutter?

[ 25. May 2008, 22:02: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
He's facing the wrong way around also!

Max

He is? I don't see him facing any people, so it looks correct to me!

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

quote:
Originally posted by Angelus:
The ordination service at Sacred Heart Basilica is rather beautiful, and very moving.

At the end, the two newly ordained priests gave the Bishop a blessing - is this usual? I've never seen or heard of it before.

A

It is. I was overcome when Cardinal Hume flopped to his knees for a blessing after he had ordained me!

--------------------

Treatise
Shipmate
# 4255

quote:
'Cause I am an Anglican.
So, Leo, how does this old classic look, to an Anglican?

Or this?

And, most importantly, are these prelates turning in the proper directions?

Actually, I used to tease the pastor at Lourdes (featured in Silas's video) that he was now running one of Philadelphia's better Episcopal parishes.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016