homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Wouldn't the Annunciation count as Jesus'?

Yes - but Jesus is not a 'saint'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
It must be so difficult to be an Anglican, where you constantly have to decide what you believe before you can say a prayer. [Devil]

I thought that such were the Unitarians? Or are they the ones who get all bent out of shape over the wording in hymns? Or both?
the inclusive language crowd? You get them in every church except .........the Orthodox Church , thanks be to GOD
[Two face]

I bet that the orthodox will have inclusive language some time after the next one thousand years have elapsed.
nah, we will still be there when all the others look back and wonder how silly they all were for adopting it. [Smile]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time will tell - there are moved to clean up the anti-Judaism in the Orthodox Holy Week rites. The have already done it in an Orthodox church near me and there is a series of essays about it written by fairly eminent Orthodox liturgists

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Time will tell - there are moved to clean up the anti-Judaism in the Orthodox Holy Week rites. The have already done it in an Orthodox church near me and there is a series of essays about it written by fairly eminent Orthodox liturgists

Indeed, but this is a move WITHIN Orthodoxy and not because they are being told to do it by some meddling Anglicans [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So is there a video of it?

*cough*

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
In some places, "Conception" is retained, but without the I-word.

The Conception - immaculate or otherwise - of the BVM is obviously unique and very special, as no other saint has his or her conception commemorated in the Church Kalendar.
Doesn't the Eastern Rite include a feast for the Conception of John the Baptist?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to continue the tangent a bit but the Melkites do observe the feast of the Conception of St. John the Baptist on September 23. I imagine it's on the same or a similar date for other churches of the Byzantine Rite.

quote:
TROPARION (TONE 4)
Joy to you, O barren one unable to give birth! Behold, you conceive today the one who is really a Torch of the Sun, who will enlighten the whole world that suffered from blindness. Rejoice, O Zachary, and cry out in all confidence: "The One who will be born is a Prophet of the Most High!".

From a Melkite page on St. John the Baptist.

[ 09. June 2008, 00:05: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Liturgy of the notices

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

That's a brilliant clip - I have just sent the link to quite a few people in my church who get up and make notices (open mike) and prolong the service by 10-15 minutes!

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
In some places, "Conception" is retained, but without the I-word.

The Conception - immaculate or otherwise - of the BVM is obviously unique and very special, as no other saint has his or her conception commemorated in the Church Kalendar.
Doesn't the Eastern Rite include a feast for the Conception of John the Baptist?
Not being part of the Eastern Rite myself, I have learnt something there.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's a brilliant clip - I have just sent the link to quite a few people in my church who get up and make notices (open mike) and prolong the service by 10-15 minutes!

We have a guy who always has something to say at the announcements (local councillor) and e just manages to drone on and on! Our priest has caught on that I find the whole thing incredibly boring and now refers to him as "our political correspondent)

I often sit in the organ loft doing all kinds of mimes (my favourite is pretending to hang myself from the swellbox), our priest has noticed I do that and often starts giggling as we get into our 20th minute of announcements from him!

Max

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Fantabulous!

Max

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once I got over the feeling that I was listening to Paul Robeson celebrate the Divine Liturgy, I found it pretty cool. I must say, however, that the altar servers seemed less than awestruck.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Does anyone know anything about St John's Detroit? Here they are singing Mattins -- and are the ladies of teh choir wearing black beanies?

I thought the omission of the second set of preces was a 1979 thing. In any event, it's unfortunate.

Interesting that they splice the first part of the Venite with part of Psalm 96.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Does anyone know anything about St John's Detroit? Here they are singing Mattins -- and are the ladies of teh choir wearing black beanies?

I thought the omission of the second set of preces was a 1979 thing. In any event, it's unfortunate.

Interesting that they splice the first part of the Venite with part of Psalm 96.

Both points are by-the-book 1928 USA BCP. They're doing what the BCP says.
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A storefront Baptist minister who definitely belongs in the fruitcake zone preaches against Little House on The Prairie. I'm guessing that the show may have been cancelled before he was born, but...oh well.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frito Bandito:
A storefront Baptist minister who definitely belongs in the fruitcake zone preaches against Little House on The Prairie. I'm guessing that the show may have been cancelled before he was born, but...oh well.

Oh dear! The first generation of preacher raised in the Age of Televangelists. If I had to go to church every week and listen to a bully judge some people, make fun of others, and kick the pulpit repeatedly, I would break out in laughter that would be so painful that they would have to carry me away in a stretcher.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the double post, but I can't resist suggesting this one to my fellow Shippies and lurkers:

The Ascension and Mary Poppins

It is another V-log from Father Matthew, who is quite often hilarious. Watch out for a brief glimpse of Screech Powers from Saved by the Bell!

Also, if you like this video, follow it to Father Matthew's other good videos.

[ 24. June 2008, 02:46: Message edited by: Martin L ]

StJohnsPriest
Apprentice
# 13775

- Posted      Profile for StJohnsPriest   Author's homepage   Email StJohnsPriest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for the kind comments about St. John's Church, Detroit. We have certainly moved "up the candle" since 2001. The first 70 years St. John's was Prayer Book Catholic. The next 70 it was low Church, and now, D.v., we have entered a better 70. God has blessed the parish since 2001 with a good increase: 50 to 200+ people on Sunday...a good start (the Church seats 800).

As for the Benediction comments. The service is straight St. Augustine's Prayer Book. We have Benediction monthly on Thursdays (weekly in Lent). Sorry to the commentor who said it was anti-climatic: The bells ended up near the altar, not the rail, and therefore could not be rung.

Ironically, the most viewed video I have posted to date has not been liturgical or even a parish social event, but about the Stanley Cup Parade (Professional hockey league championship) which passed in front of the Church recently!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge54_i7FWYk

Other videos can be referenced here
http://www.youtube.com/user/StJohnsPriest

Fr. Steven J. Kelly, SSC
St. John's Church, Detroit

Posts: 4 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post 
Father Kelly: Keep up the good work and . . .

"Let's Go Red Wings!"

Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by StJohnsPriest:
Other videos can be referenced here
http://www.youtube.com/user/StJohnsPriest

[Confused] When I click on the link I get a picture that looks like the Transporter on the Starship Enterprize malfunctioned?!

Warm welcome to the Ship, Father! Thank you for contributing and I hope you are able to stick around [Smile] .

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I'm ever in Windsor, I'll have way too many choices. St John's, Zion, the Mariners' Church...
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
If I'm ever in Windsor, I'll have way too many choices. St John's, Zion, the Mariners' Church...

Redeemer, Southfield as well.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never been for a service, but I imagine Eton College Chapel would be worth a visit as well, if only for 'name value'.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Oh yeah!

§Max

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

How does Max find time to write essays?

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Max is on Holiday at the moment in lovely sunny Somerset!

Max also doesn't sleep very much.

Thank you.

Max.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that one I like, Max!

[ 29. June 2008, 18:25: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
Oh yeah!

§Max

I don't see why anybody would want to do that but at least he wore a proper alb while doing it.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:

Max also doesn't sleep very much.

Max.

For some unaccountable reason I am suddenly and powerfully reminded of the late Edward Gorey's 'Beastly Baby', of whom he wrote; "Its tiny eyes were surrounded by large black rings due to fatigue, for its guilty conscience hardly ever allowed it to sleep"... [Snigger]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
this here yet.

It certainly shows how Things Should Be Done Properly!

Apart from the fact that its SSPX, I do have reservations about the militaristic choreography, although its fun in places, and those vestments make me expect the arrival of the Red Queen demanding heads to roll, at any moment.

And that curious Gregorian version of Ode to Joy for the Kyrie..... [Projectile]

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

There's also this (which I think has been linked to before). The army of apparently decorative little boys in surplices frightens me a little.

If anyone can identify the setting of the Asperges, I'd appreciate it. A friend has been bugging Cyprian and me about it.

Pity that they have a Missa Cantata on Sundays, which should only be used in case of a necessity that I doubt St Nicholas of Chardonne experiences.

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The kyrie is from the 'missa Pater cuncta' (Mass XII, for semidoubles in the kyriale.) I've always liked it. The vestments are horrible, but the voluntary at the beginning is amazing, I'd love to get the name of it.
The Asperges is just the Gregorian setting,on the first page of the kyriale.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the liturgy at St Nicholas du Chardonnet was superb in every way, with the exception of the decorative little altar boys who did nothing other than look angelic in a snot-nosed way. (Unfortunately, my own parish does this too, but not to the extreme that the SSPX parish does). There was also, surprisingly, somewhat less self-conscious "Catholic Amish" attitudes in the pews where all modern styles of dress are rejected in favor of clothes that look like that worn by polygamous Mormons. I see this sort of thing ALL THE TIME in Tridentine masses in the United States, and it is quite absurd.

LQ, I'm very surprised you didn't recognize the Asperges, since it is the standard one.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

I have to admit that I can count on one hand the Masses I've been to where the people were sprinkled - and all have been in Eastertide.
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you like the asperges, LQ, you'll have to come to England and visit my usual place of worship, where we have them every Sunday.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
this here yet.

Apart from the fact that its SSPX, I do have reservations about the militaristic choreography, although its fun in places, and those vestments make me expect the arrival of the Red Queen demanding heads to roll, at any moment.

What I liked was the description, which pointed to some of the ceremonial as being "local custom"!

[Killing me]

However, the chief prosecutor of those guilty of "local custom" hasn't been round these parts for a while, so the joke is not as sweet.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

I don't seem (apologies if I'm mistaken) to have posted this, which a friend and I have dubbed the "Hail Holy Drag Queen."
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

quote:
quote:
this here yet.

What I liked was the description, which pointed to some of the ceremonial as being "local custom"!

[Killing me]

However, the chief prosecutor of those guilty of "local custom" hasn't been round these parts for a while, so the joke is not as sweet.

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Paranoid]

--------------------

Random Cathoholic
Shipmate
# 13129

- Posted      Profile for Random Cathoholic         Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

[Killing me]

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Paranoid]
It's ok as long as you don't say his name five times.
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

Not sure if this has been posted, but there is the controversial and grotesque Vatican Fashion Show from Fellini's Roma.

Dedicated to the bloggers of The New Liturgical Movement blog, one of whom makes a cameo at 5:25.

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Charismatic Catholic History
(lots of videos of papal masses too!)

Max

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Funky Songs of Praise

Max

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Loved the spelling on that one.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

It appears the live video webcast feed at Washington National Cathedral has been left open today. I will be curious to see if we can hear Evensong from the Great Choir in about an hour and forty-five minutes.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
It appears the live video webcast feed at Washington National Cathedral has been left open today. I will be curious to see if we can hear Evensong from the Great Choir in about an hour and forty-five minutes.

Oooh. It's about an hour and ten until Evensong, and a choir is practicing where the Nave Altar usually stands.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
quote:

Oooh. It's about an hour and ten until Evensong, and a choir is practicing where the Nave Altar usually stands.
Houston, we have Sung Evening Prayer.

I wonder if we'll get to see the cleaners do the sweeping later.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Our current household problems with ISP mean that I can no longer view youtube or other streaming video except in bits and pieces and audio streams are totally silent.

But the Washington 'live' link worked just fine. [Smile]

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Frito Bandito:
There was also, surprisingly, somewhat less self-conscious "Catholic Amish" attitudes in the pews where all modern styles of dress are rejected in favor of clothes that look like that worn by polygamous Mormons. I see this sort of thing ALL THE TIME in Tridentine masses in the United States, and it is quite absurd.

We have the "Orthodox Amish" too. Some kind of attraction to denim skirts and kerchiefs [Biased] Like modesty means having to look like 19th century Russian peasants (and even they did not look like that!)

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
There's also this (which I think has been linked to before). The army of apparently decorative little boys in surplices frightens me a little.

D'you suppose they'll get any priests out of that little army?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016