homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Our current household problems with ISP mean that I can no longer view youtube or other streaming video except in bits and pieces and audio streams are totally silent.

But the Washington 'live' link worked just fine. [Smile]

[Cool]

I've figured it out!

The bishop left it on so he could maintain a watchful eye while at Lambeth.

(I hope to hear noonday Mass at the High Altar tomorrow. Would the nearest tourist please tilt the camera slightly upward? Thanks.)

[ 14. July 2008, 00:34: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Prosfonesis:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
There's also this (which I think has been linked to before). The army of apparently decorative little boys in surplices frightens me a little.

D'you suppose they'll get any priests out of that little army?
The organist isn't wearing a Mantilla [Eek!]

Actually - the organ sounds awful there!

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other thing I've noticed, why do all people at Tridentine Masses have side partings? Why don't they have people with dreadlocks, shaved heads, weird coloured hair, ear stretchers or tattoos like NORMAL churches!

Max.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
Why don't they have people with dreadlocks, shaved heads, weird coloured hair...

What do you think is under all those mantillas? [Snigger]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

[Killing me]

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The other thing I've noticed, why do all people at Tridentine Masses have side partings? Why don't they have people with dreadlocks, shaved heads, weird coloured hair, ear stretchers or tattoos like NORMAL churches!

Max.

You've never been to Mater Ecclesiae in New Jersey.
Of course, this is the SSPX. There are few, if any normal people there.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:

I certainly have, and noted the same "Amish Catholic" tendencies that FB notes above. Nary a punk rock accessory in sight. In fact, I got static there for bringing a wife with no mantilla and a daughter in pants.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
I certainly have, and noted the same "Amish Catholic" tendencies that FB notes above. Nary a punk rock accessory in sight. In fact, I got static there for bringing a wife with no mantilla and a daughter in pants.

I don't want to move onto tangent here, so I'll post my question on the Random Questions thread here.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
quote:

Max.

They sound like the sort of people who would find Rock music to be a dangerous influence.

Max.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Max.

They sound like the sort of people who would find Rock music to be a dangerous influence.

Max.

I know a SSPX bloke who is a heavy metal fanatic and has a pony tail.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Well there you go [Smile]

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Max.

Max.

yeah, the thing is you can't generalize (as leo has pointed out) The funniest, hippest and campiest friend I have is also the most traditionalist in Faith

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Christmas video has a few frames of Ecclesiantical interest:

• In the Connecticut church, notice the box pews with little doors on them, as well as the very traditional communion table and west gallery. I don't know what the embroidered curtain behind the communion table is called, other than "embroidered curtain behind the communion table."
  • In the close-up of the Advent wreath, it is clearly seen that the rose candle is the longest, suggesting that my parents used the rose candle for the 4th Sunday that year. This is interesting since my parents as much traditionalists as I am.

--------------------
Forţon we sealon efestan ţas Easterlican ţing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, ţaet we magon cuman to ţam Easterlican daege, ţe aa byđ, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mockingbird, I can't view the video, but might the cloth be called a dossal cloth or dossal curtain?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Mockingbird, I can't view the video, but might the cloth be called a dossal cloth or dossal curtain?

Thanks! I think that would have to be the word for it, as long as calling it a dossal cloth doesn't automatically imply east-facing celebration. For at this church the president faces the congregation.

[ 21. July 2008, 03:30: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

--------------------
Forţon we sealon efestan ţas Easterlican ţing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, ţaet we magon cuman to ţam Easterlican daege, ţe aa byđ, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

A Traditionalist's nightmare

Max.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

The transformation of a Church.

Max.

--------------------

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Max.

Gosh!!!! Changing Rooms!!!! [Eek!]

Carol Smillie lives!!!

Even Laurence Llewellyn Bowen would be hard pressed to design anything quite as tacky as that!!

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

It's NOT tacky! It's Catholicism at it's very best!

I'm totally going to sulk now! [Waterworks]

Max.

I take it you watched the WHOLE video and didn't just look at the first scene! It starts with a really tacky altar design and changed it to a really beautiful mural!

[ 23. July 2008, 10:11: Message edited by: Max. ]

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm - Max, I've tried to look at it but theres no way to forward to the end! He's interesting to listen to but after about 5 minutes I've had enough!!!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's NOT tacky! It's Catholicism at it's very best!

I'm totally going to sulk now! [Waterworks]

Max.

I take it you watched the WHOLE video and didn't just look at the first scene! It starts with a really tacky altar design and changed it to a really beautiful mural!

No Max.

It started with a really tacky altar design and it added a really tacky mural.

[Projectile]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Max.

Poor Blessed John XXIII. Unfairly appropriated by Art Institute-educated hacks who don't understand the first letter of the Conciliar documents written under his watch. Now he is frozen on the wall of an Immaculate Barnes and Noble Café.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Hmm - Max, I've tried to look at it but theres no way to forward to the end! He's interesting to listen to but after about 5 minutes I've had enough!!!

Let it load and then you can slide the slider along the bottom

Max.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A Traditionalist's nightmare

Max.

Yes you are!!!!!!!!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not really that bad. I would have liked something more like This,
But at least you can tell what it is. I think.
There are lots of things that are comparatively worse.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's quite arresting, and not in a bad way. I think it would probably have done better in a much bigger worship area. It dominates the sanctuary too much, imo. But it's a huge improvement from what was there before, and I imagine it could well invoke a real sense of worship being special.

That's a response to Max's 'Transformation of a church' by the way.

[ 24. July 2008, 01:43: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I think it's quite arresting, and not in a bad way. I think it would probably have done better in a much bigger worship area. It dominates the sanctuary too much, imo. But it's a huge improvement from what was there before, and I imagine it could well invoke a real sense of worship being special.

It's a very very big worship space though, with a large number of seats (it's set up in a very similar way to a theatre with galleried seats). The Church is also fairly important and receives a LOT of visitors.

Max.

--------------------

Random Cathoholic
Shipmate
# 13129

- Posted      Profile for Random Cathoholic         Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's NOT tacky!

I agree. I don't think it is tacky. It's not my saucepan of haddock, and I think that it is a bit too big for its location, and Blessed John XXIII looks a bit creepy, but by-and-large it is a good mural. And I think that the two side paintings are excellently realised.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

It's a very very big worship space though, with a large number of seats (it's set up in a very similar way to a theatre with galleried seats). The Church is also fairly important and receives a LOT of visitors.

Max.

I see. It looks a bit squashed, but still impressive, in the video.

And sure aren't all churches important? [Big Grin]

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are snippets of John Paul II reciting the Eucharistic Prayer at St. Peter's. The video cuts off everything between the memorial acclamation and the Our Father.

Although the youtube clip doesn't say so, the mass took place on June 29, 1985 in which Herbert von Karajan and the Vienna Philharmonic offered the Mozart Coronation Mass. It is one of my more highly-prized DVDs.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by Frito Bandito:
Here are snippets of John Paul II reciting the Eucharistic Prayer at St. Peter's. The video cuts off everything between the memorial acclamation and the Our Father.

Max. approves

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

Silas gives major approval of This.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

Maybe - but this video from WYD is Major Win!

Max.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Maybe - but this video from WYD is Major Win!

Max.

Megachurch tripe. How can you compare that to MOzart? Seriously!

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ethiopian Orthodox worship in Liverpool here.
(Video,still pics and explanatory text). The YouTube listing here allows you to select high quality video as well.

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Mother Julian:
Ethiopian Orthodox worship in Liverpool here.
(Video,still pics and explanatory text). The YouTube listing here allows you to select high quality video as well.

If you're interested in all things Coptic, by all means check out the live webcasts here. I'm not sure if anything is archived, but I know I've seen it live once or twice. Sit in a comfortable chair because you'll be there for quite a while.

And how cool is the name Shenouda?! [Cool]

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought I'd share this splendid video of part of the Paschal Canon.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eppendorf
Apprentice
# 13961

- Posted      Profile for eppendorf   Email eppendorf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An older member of the Kreuzchor singing the Gospel at a service in Dresden's Kreuzkirche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvGDVqh300

Posts: 49 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love this psalm setting. I'm trying to convince Max. to have it at the blessing of our union, but I fear it's a tad too traditional for him!
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by eppendorf:
An older member of the Kreuzchor singing the Gospel at a service in Dresden's Kreuzkirche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvGDVqh300

Lovely - don't recognise the tone and wonder where the Lutherans get it from. most of teir other tones e.g. Sursum Corda and Pater noster are recognisably close to the Latin ones.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
I love this psalm setting. I'm trying to convince Max. to have it at the blessing of our union, but I fear it's a tad too traditional for him!

Yes, I like that chant but not those wobbly women's voices!

I think Max might fear that, in the words of the Psalm, 'the earth be moved' - maybe upon the consummation of your union - because I have always assumed that Max is str8.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, you know what they say about assuming. In fact I'm up to my nuts in Citizenship & Immigration Canada literature as we speak preparing for the big event. Your prayers, of course, are requested.

[ 10. November 2008, 19:42: Message edited by: LQ ]

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Dude! That's not what we agreed with on the phone! If only you asked, I wouldn't have a problem with it but you vetoed my suggestion for our Entrance Song so... why should we do that?
Skype me dude.
x

Max.

[ 10. November 2008, 20:03: Message edited by: Max. ]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you boys gonna have maniples?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

We're so not there yet! The liturgy is going to have to be a real hash to accomodate both of us.

I doubt, however, it'll be a Mass, simply because we come from different Eucharistic disciplines.

I'm pushing for Solemn Evensong and Benediction, but Max. wants something he calls "Charismatic Benediction". (sigh)

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

That's bound to be another irreconcilable difference!
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

quote:

Like this? It's a good compromise between This and This.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

We're not having it in the context of a Eucharistic Celebration, I'm not even sure if I'm totally comfortable with having Benediction at this event. It's early days... XD

And yes... we did keep it a secret for a while [Smile]

Max.

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

Let's see who can find the three things wrong with This video.

--------------------

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

quote:
Let's see who can find the three things wrong with This video.

Bad Timing, Bad Improvisation, Bad Singing, Buff Notes, Lost looking congregation, Undeserved Applause, Organ is in the wrong place, There are no pipes on the Organ, Lack of music when the organist needs it the most.....

enough for you?

Max.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016