homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just viewed the video of the Bishops' gathering in Leeds. Fantastic! And to see my Lord Bishop James Jones of Liverpool bowing to the high altar - not something you see every day. Particularly enjoyed the sermon by Graham Jones, bishop of Norwich, talking about the Church Militant and the Church Triumphant. We don't get that very often in my C of E parish church in Liverpool, I can tell you!
Just felt sad that as "separated bethren" it wasn't possible to have a concelebrated mass with intercommunion ...

Bring on more videos, I say

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
Who were the gentleman (in faux-military garb) and the lady in veil or mantilla who followed teh ABC and ABW in the procession?

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Gosh! The dangers of video and the things that get noticed! It can become "fernseed and elephants", to use C.S. Lewis's image, when we can strain a video for every little gesture.

I did not think it was his hands that were the issue but rather the fulsome and flowing nature of the cope. When he is standing he has his hands demurely together, but going up steps and so on he is holding back garments so he can actually move! You can see his alb and cassock being lifted when he first arrives. Have you ever tried going up steps in an alb and cope? Maybe if he slowed down a bit it would help.

But it can be a salutary lesson for clergy to watch themselves. When I first saw a video of a Mass I had celebrated it was cringeworthy noticing my twitches and glances and odd little unintended gestures.

Funniest part for me was Bp Roche trying to get the bookbearer to go away with some sidelong glances after the "Deus in adiutorium"

Fr TT: I was only being pendantic!! [Razz] The video was fun and enjoyable, especially since it was Vespers and one doesn't see that much.

I was referring to +Roche clasping his hands below his waist at times. Somehow, for vestments, it doesn't fit. Mind you, Proper Usage also demands that the deacons assist in the lifting of cope when moving. But I was impressed that people actually bowed at the Holy Name.

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurence:
quote:
Wonder what you will make of this video.

- The opportunity to compare Roman and Anglican choir dress- the sleeves on a rochet really do give it an 18th century feel!
Whereas the Romans gave it a seventeeth century feel - think continental: Cardinal Richelieu is alive and well and visiting Leeds! My worry is that I really can't decide which form of episcopal choir habit I prefer. Perhaps, when I'm a bishop (i.e. the day after the Pope gets married and hell freezes over) I'll alternate between the two forms.

quote:
The way that some of the Anglican bishops very deliberately crossed themselves with water from the font, others ignored it, and one in particular did a convulsive little embarrassed spasm towards it! The RCs, however, knew exactly what to do- smooth movements, no ostentation or hesitation.
I think this is rather an unfair comment. For some of the Anglicans it was unfamiliar, but they did it (so polite!) apart from the one who sneered on some grounds or other (there's always a conscientious objector in ecumenical affairs...), but plenty of the Anglican bishes managed the crossing just as smoothly as the Roman bishes. To suggest that they were "ostentatious or hesitant" is unkind and untrue .
quote:
The look on the Bishop of Leeds' face when he realised that Vivaldi's Gloria was a bit too long to stand through, but that he would look even sillier if he sat down...
Especially when the server thrust the book in his face and the Bish clearly thought "Oh b*gger - there's still twenty minutes of Vivaldi to go...". I'm willing to bet there was at least one server who needed a Radox bath that night.

I loved the fact that the three Bishes gave the blessing together- the Bish of Leeds kindly prompting the ABC to do the magic at the right moment - but the ABC always gives a triple blessing, so why did he look as if he had no idea what he was doing? He looked like some mad old uncle who was being included in the dinner party for kindness' sake, but doesn't actually remember how to use a knife and fork.

I was also struck by:
  • the fact the crucifer carried in the cross at an angle. I hate that - looks like he's marching into battle with a halberd or is about to smack someone about the head with it. Processional crosses should be perpendicular!
  • the servers; the vast majority were white, middle-aged men. The remainder were four little black boys. Is it that Leeds has no young servers? No women servers? No white / brown / yellow servers? Or do they have a special matching set of black boys for special occasions, kept in a cupboard between Christmas and Easter say? Enquiring minds need to know. Think back to the 18th Century comment above - it reminded me of those 18thC ladies with their fashionable black pageboys in attendance.
  • Given that the servers were so smartly turned out in crisp cottas, I was disappointed by the presence of >sniff< cassock albs >spit< among the attendant clergy.
  • Still on servers, I noticed that the server with the vimper wasn't sure what to do. I love the fact that older servers can carefully and lovingly direct youngsters in serving, even in the midst of a "big" service like this - it doesn't matter if the Pope himself is present, we are all still learning and that guiding hand is so important. Reminded me of the day in times past when I was thurifer with a very small new boat boy in a big service with lots of processions and he was told to "just stick by Corpus whatever happens". We spent the whole service with the boatboy holding onto the dangling ends of my girdle. On the one hand, so sweet! On the other hand, how lovely to see servers being trained up "on the job", even if that requires gentle direction in mid-function and isn't quite the "smooth-flowing" liturgy we hope for.
  • The way the Bishes in the cong all looked like SBs in Chapel - they're there because they have to be and they know the "headmaster's" watching. Were they adopting a posture of prayerful contempletion or were they bored or were they all thinking "This would've been so much better if I'd been at the front..."?
  • I too was disappointed with the Bish not only holding his arm by his side, but sweeping the cope out of the way to do so. Moreover, it was a most inferior cope - looked like it had come out of the dressing-up box in the attic. Methinks they could have managed some sort of damask at least, instead of that single layer of flimsy polycotton.
As mentioned, analysis of every gesture can be a disturbingthing!

Corpus

PS Cusanus- the bloke in pseudo-military attire was the Bishop of Leeds' chauffeur; the women in a mantilla was his wife. Honest. [Devil]

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Advocatus Diaboli
Ship's cannon
# 5172

- Posted      Profile for Advocatus Diaboli   Author's homepage   Email Advocatus Diaboli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cusanus:
Who were the gentleman (in faux-military garb) and the lady in veil or mantilla who followed teh ABC and ABW in the procession?

Lord Lieutenant of whatever ceremonial county Leeds is in, and the ABC's wife?

Lord Lieutenant of W. Yorkshire was, at least in March 2005, a woman - so the guy in uniform might be John Brennan, her Vice, [Two face] or indeed she might be the high-heeled one. Doesn't make sense to have both of them there, though, so I'd plump for Dr. Williams as the lady present.

I'm always open to correction, for anyone who knows (/can guess) better!

[ETA: See? Always open to correction!]

[ 25. November 2006, 08:28: Message edited by: lazystudent ]

--------------------
Shipmate formerly known as lazystudent

The only way of catching a train, I have discovered, is to miss the train before. (G.K.C.)

Posts: 576 | From: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
[*]the servers; the vast majority were white, middle-aged men. The remainder were four little black boys. Is it that Leeds has no young servers? No women servers? No white / brown / yellow servers? Or do they have a special matching set of black boys for special occasions, kept in a cupboard between Christmas and Easter say? Enquiring minds need to know. Think back to the 18th Century comment above - it reminded me of those 18thC ladies with their fashionable black pageboys in attendance.

[Eek!] You know... I don't think they have a quota for altar server diversity... you should suggest it to them [Roll Eyes]

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Corpus, what's Radox and what's a vimper?

Inquiring U.S. Orthodoxen want to know!

M
And I think they'd better take care that Madonna doesn't attempt to adopt those adorable little acolytes.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:

The vimpa is the (white) veil which is used by the bishop's attendants to hold his mitre and crosier.

[ 25. November 2006, 10:59: Message edited by: RCD ]

Laurence
Shipmate
# 9135

- Posted      Profile for Laurence   Email Laurence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
quote:
The way that some of the Anglican bishops very deliberately crossed themselves with water from the font, others ignored it, and one in particular did a convulsive little embarrassed spasm towards it! The RCs, however, knew exactly what to do- smooth movements, no ostentation or hesitation.

I think this is rather an unfair comment. For some of the Anglicans it was unfamiliar, but they did it (so polite!) apart from the one who sneered on some grounds or other (there's always a conscientious objector in ecumenical affairs...), but plenty of the Anglican bishes managed the crossing just as smoothly as the Roman bishes. To suggest that they were "ostentatious or hesitant" is unkind and untrue .
Point taken, Cc- possibly "proudly or uncertainly" might have been better phraseology than "ostentatious or hesitant", if I were being diplomatic. I did make sure that both the RCs and the Anglicans were getting an equal amount of unwarranted stereotypical criticism [Devil] - Catholics can't sing, Anglicans can't cross themselves!

A great post, by the way, Cc- I look forward to the day when you're a bishop and have your own set of heraldic black (or blond, or olive-complexioned) boys to keep in the cupboard!

L.

Posts: 648 | From: Lincolnshire | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. I'm not sure that "proudly or uncertainly" is better phraseology, if one were to be diplomatic!

Nor am I convinced that the SB cupboard will work. A host of small black boys would only be useful for requiems, except they wouldn't be useful since "black boys" aren't actually black and there might well be a clash with the frontal, which would,of course, be a Bad Thing™.

Equally, it would be no use keeping the white boys for Feasts of our Lord, since "white boys" aren't actually white, unless they share my anaemia.

Finding boys for Advent and Lent would be equally problematic, and as for the servers for feasts of the Martyrs and the Holy Spirit - I gather Scarlet Fever is almost unknown in these parts nowadays.

I might need to rethink this policy. However, given modern developments in genetics, I'm sure we could come up with a race of liturgically correct SBs in time for my coronation as Pope.

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
By the way, that nice Our Father was chanted to one of our chants, adapted, I think, from a setting by Rachmaninov! That made me very happy!

Is that where that came from? I thought it was quite beautiful and would make a nice seasonal alternative to the traditional Western tune (if I could only persuade my parish to sing the traditional Western tune to begin with).

Does anyone know if the second psalm was set to a Genlieau tone? It sounded awfuly familiar.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, FCB, that Our Father was definitely the same liturgical tone as Rachmaninov's arrangement of the Our Father in Slavonic. The English version sounded only a little different, due, I expect, to the pointing.

I don't remember the Gelineau psalms well enough to be able to identify one, though. (I do remember some funster 30 years ago referring to those as the "Jelly-Roll" psalms, but that's for another thread....)

M

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Inquiring U.S. Orthodoxen want to know!

M
And I think they'd better take care that Madonna doesn't attempt to adopt those adorable little acolytes.

Radox is a well known brand of bubble bath liquid, salts, shower gel etc, marketed on its reputed relaxing, soothing and therapeutic qualities. For easing aches and pains and such like.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Many thanks, Anselmina and RCD, for the info on Radox and "Vimpa".

M

John H
Shipmate
# 9599

- Posted      Profile for John H   Author's homepage   Email John H   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Wonder what you will make of this video.

I only had a chance to look at the opening procession in a moment of insomnia last night- but I think it's wonderful! Leaving aside the joy of seeing Englishmen of two great churches worshipping together, there were some hilarious moments. Particular highlights for me were:

- The opportunity to compare Roman and Anglican choir dress- the sleeves on a rochet really do give it an 18th century feel!

- The way that some of the Anglican bishops very deliberately crossed themselves with water from the font, others ignored it, and one in particular did a convulsive little embarrassed spasm towards it! The RCs, however, knew exactly what to do- smooth movements, no ostentation or hesitation.

- The fact that many of the Catholic bishops were entirely terrified of the idea of singing the opening hymn, while the Anglicans happily belted it out.

- The look on the Bishop of Leeds' face when he realised that Vivaldi's Gloria was a bit too long to stand through, but that he would look even sillier if he sat down...

More gems!

L.

Oh, that's wonderful. You're dead right about the Bishop of Leeds - there's a moment in the Gloria where he quite visibly thinks, "Oh s***, this isn't about to finish any time soon, is it?"

I also enjoyed the moment where an acolyte of some description flourished a mic stand in front of the bishop. We are very, very close to what Alan Bennett predicted in his diaries a few years back. He was at a church where there was a brief hiatus at the start of the sermon while the vicar clipped his radio mic to his surplice, and Bennett suggested that in a few decades there'll probably be a specific liturgy for dealing with this issue. Leeds Cathedral looks to be part way there already - all we needed was for them to cense it and sprinkle it with holy water (though perhaps they only do that for solemn masses...)

This video took me right back to the only time I've ever been in Leeds Cathedral - my home cathedral, at least when I'm resting my weight on my left foot - when my junior school choir sang there over twenty years ago. I was baptised in an RC church, and at that time was ver conscious of this, and identified myself as a Roman Catholic (while singing exclusively in Anglican churches/choirs!). I remember being very offended at our choirmaster pondering aloud as to whether to wear his "high church" (surplice, scarf) or "low church" (black cassock, tabs) get-up, and going with the latter. [Eek!]

There's also clearly one heck of a high altar lurking there at the east end, now obscured by the president's throne...

[ 25. November 2006, 22:12: Message edited by: John H ]

--------------------
"If you look upon ham and eggs and lust, you have already committed breakfast in your heart."

Posts: 423 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The uniformed gent is a Knight of St Gregory. Unlike loads of other Catholic "knights" (like Knights of Columbus) the Knighthood of St Gregory is an honour bestowed by the Pope on laypeople who are outstanding examples of something or other. They often dress up and escort the bishop if he is present for a liturgical ceremony. The woman would be a Dame of the Order.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish that the JXXIII coronation tape would be placed on youtube. That would be fascinating, though I suspect there might be copyright issues.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

At the risk of being accused of posting this all over the boards, I thought Ecclesiantics would enjoy the URL as much as the other boards, so here it is:

Patriarchal Divine Liturgy

It lasts about 2 1/2 hours, but I hope you will enjoy seeing it and commenting on all the tat and the exotic-sounding music, the sermons, or whatever. It was broadcast on EWTN, but it is no longer on their website, so this is the same video taken from the Patriarchate's website. Commentary is by EWTN and by Vatican Radio/tv.

Enjoy!

M

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It was broadcast on EWTN, but it is no longer on their website, so this is the same video taken from the Patriarchate's website. Commentary is by EWTN and by Vatican Radio/tv.

Enjoy!

M

If the commentary is by Richard Neuhaus, then forget it. You couldn't hear any of the singing or the ceremonies at JPII's funeral over his pompous windbaggery and bellowing.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Commentary is by EWTN and by Vatican Radio/tv.

Did they film it using a vaticam?

[Sorry.]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

[Killing me]

Either a Vaticam or a Patriarcam!

Or both.

M [Biased]

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here, from Google Video, is an SSPX Missa Cantata for the last Sunday after Pentecost from St. Nicholas in Paris. It struck me as a very well produced video.

A few things I noted:
  • clearly a lot when into this celebration of Mass -- why not do a High Mass with deacon and subdeacon? From what I've heard about St. Nicholas, they have no shortage of clerics around.
  • The reading of the Epistle in French while the priest read in silently in Latin. I thought he would chant it first in Latin.
  • The singing of the Salve Regina during the Last Gospel. I thought this was supposed to be done aloud.
  • The shot of the priest during the post-communio, when was from behind the altar, looking at his face. How did they get this shot?
  • The fact that the priest looked like Nathan Lane.
  • The vast army of teeny tiny altar boys, which I found. . . well. . . creepy

--------------------

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
The reading of the Epistle in French while the priest read in silently in Latin. I thought he would chant it first in Latin.

So basically even SSPX can't get the Latin Mass right?!

[fixed code]

[ 05. December 2006, 14:19: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

I had to resurrect this thread from page 8 to share with all of you this wonderful artifact from the heady days of post-Vatican II liturgical reform:

Elvis folk mass

For some reason, this brings a perverse joy to my heart.

--------------------

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post 
Wow. Makes RCIA even that more meaningful!
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROFL!!!!

Okay, since this is back and running, here's some amazing footage.

Some fascinating bits. You need to ignore the ridiculous Italian commentary which is laughably OTT even by Italian standards, and the music is very cheesy. The funeral, right at the end, is amazing. You thought the funeral of JPII was something else? Wait until you see that of Pius XII [Eek!] The camp get-up of the hearse is priceless, and OMG! the procession must have taken forever! You see it wending its way past the Colloseum, which is miles from St Peter's. What a show Pius put on, making his late Polish Holiness look like an amateur.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic, Triple Tiara! He seemed to be a very tall man.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

scopatore segreto
Shipmate
# 11848

- Posted      Profile for scopatore segreto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't listened to the audio yet, but I'm betting it doesn't mention the botched embalming, and Pacelli's nose falling off.

--------------------
"Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it." Flannery O'Connor

Posts: 291 | From: the Christ-haunted South | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robertus Liverpolitanae
Shipmate
# 12011

- Posted      Profile for Robertus Liverpolitanae   Email Robertus Liverpolitanae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And here is Pius XlI's Papal Coronation . One of the longest in history, they did well to edit to seven and a half minutes!

Quoted by Scopatore Segreto:

quote:
but I'm betting it doesn't mention the botched embalming, and Pacelli's nose falling off.

Didn't something similar happen to Paul VI?

--------------------
Once the Government approves something, it stops being immoral
Rev Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 558 | From: homeward bound | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

And Papa Pacelli had some honker. Interesting that they did a funeral cortege through Rome. Was that because Pius XII was a native Roman?
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

My recollection is that the Roman people at the time credited him for keeping the city from being destroyed during WWII as a result of his extremely careful policies in dealing with Axis and Allied powers. He was a well-loved Pope to the Romans and never quite have the violent detractors that Bl. Pius IX had. Other than American Protestants who generally hated him.

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

Very interesting shots of the coronation of Pius XII. Especially of the guests, including Ciano. I did not see one large American family who attended -- that of the ambassador to the Court of St. James, Joseph P. Kennedy. His second oldest son, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, was among the guests.
scopatore segreto
Shipmate
# 11848

- Posted      Profile for scopatore segreto     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LA Dave:
And Papa Pacelli had some honker. Interesting that they did a funeral cortege through Rome. Was that because Pius XII was a native Roman?

He died while at Castelgandalfo, the papal summer villa, so the corpse had to be brought back to Rome; the summer heat hastened its decomposition.

--------------------
"Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it." Flannery O'Connor

Posts: 291 | From: the Christ-haunted South | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

I'm not just resurrecting dead threads (though 'tis prob the season to do so .....)

Thanks to the tip-off by Rocco on Whispers there are some interesting videos on the website of the RC Diocese of Salt Lake City appropriate to the season. I have the Chrism Mass on at the momen, and there is also the Palm Sunday Mass and Bishop's installation a couple of weeks ago. All in all, the Liturgy is dignified and well done, with some good music. Good use of mixed language. If this is what RC Liturgy in the US is like, it's not at all as bad as I imagined, based on comments on blogs etc. Of course, there are some rather naff moments, but hey, nowhere is perfect.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Sorry, just as I am watching I cringe - they do that whole inclusive thing of everyone renewing vows at the Chrism Mass, totalling missing the point of it all - it's a priestly thing: the laity all renew their vows at Easter [brick wall]

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

Just wondering what folks thought of these clips from the Easter Vigil at St. Gregory of Nyssa in San Francisco?

I'll admit that there are bits I like, but there is something about the way it pillages a variety of traditions that reminds me of a food court in a mall and, frankly, gives me the creeps.

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

I thought the dancing made it a very man-centered narcissistic liturgy. It had a New Seekers "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" quality about it.

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks to the tip-off by Rocco on Whispers there are some interesting videos on the website of the RC Diocese of Salt Lake City appropriate to the season. I have the Chrism Mass on at the momen, and there is also the Palm Sunday Mass and Bishop's installation a couple of weeks ago. All in all, the Liturgy is dignified and well done, with some good music. Good use of mixed language. If this is what RC Liturgy in the US is like, it's not at all as bad as I imagined, based on comments on blogs etc. Of course, there are some rather naff moments, but hey, nowhere is perfect.

The Cathedral of the Madeleine is probably the best or one of the top two or three examples of Roman Catholic liturgy and music in the USA. Helps that they have a choir school and a magnificent church edifice and organ. One of the rare RC churches to have a full schedule of Masses and Offices.
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

quote:
Here, from Google Video, is an SSPX Missa Cantata for the last Sunday after Pentecost from St. Nicholas in Paris. It struck me as a very well produced video.

A few things I noted:
  • clearly a lot when into this celebration of Mass -- why not do a High Mass with deacon and subdeacon? From what I've heard about St. Nicholas, they have no shortage of clerics around.
  • The reading of the Epistle in French while the priest read in silently in Latin. I thought he would chant it first in Latin.
  • The singing of the Salve Regina during the Last Gospel. I thought this was supposed to be done aloud.
  • The shot of the priest during the post-communio, when was from behind the altar, looking at his face. How did they get this shot?
  • The fact that the priest looked like Nathan Lane.
  • The vast army of teeny tiny altar boys, which I found. . . well. . . creepy

At the High Mass, the Last Gospel is sotto voce. The Epistle in French thing is a remnant of one of the set of indults granted in the 50's/60's for the vernacular. I guess it is a bit arbitrary, which indults they want and which they don't. But at one time, St. Nicholas used to use the 1953 editio typica not the 1962(and the remnants of that can still be seen in the video)
Ascension-ite
Shipmate
# 1985

- Posted      Profile for Ascension-ite   Email Ascension-ite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Gregory's video scares me...Is it 1969?
Posts: 318 | From: Old Dominion | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mother Julian

Ship's librarian
# 11978

- Posted      Profile for Mother Julian   Author's homepage   Email Mother Julian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ascension-ite wrote:
quote:
St Gregory's video scares me...Is it 1969
I agree - please make the scary man stop. Like the hats though - in particular the hat being worn by a girl at 3 minutes 10 seconds, a little like a smoking cap. I've been looking for a decent smoking cap for ages - anyone got any ideas where I can obtain such an item?

--------------------
The corn was orient and immortal wheat which never should be reaped, nor was ever sown.

Posts: 359 | From: the banks of the mighty River Mersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JArthurCrank:
I thought the dancing made it a very man-centered narcissistic liturgy.

One should only express joy and praise by moving one's lips, and no other parts of the body?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:

One should only express joy and praise by moving one's lips, and no other parts of the body?
I once attended a St. Gregory of Nyssa-style Eucharist during a liturgical conference; Rick Fabian+ of SGN was one of the planners and served as thurifer and, I think, cantor. It was adapted to the spaces we were using and worked wonderfully. No dancing; we just walked (or rolled or were wheeled, the usual variations) from the monastic-style seating for the Liturgy of the Word to the rotunda-style standing area around the altar. I was skeptical but found the whole experience very community-building and transcendent all at once. A retired priest from my parish was there, too, and still talks about it whenever I see him. A Great Liturgical Moment. Probably partly because it didn't try to replicate SGN exactly, just in broad strokes.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

I've just run across some cool videos from St John the Baptist, Timberhill, Norwich.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Just wondering what folks thought of these clips from the Easter Vigil at St. Gregory of Nyssa in San Francisco?

I'll admit that there are bits I like, but there is something about the way it pillages a variety of traditions that reminds me of a food court in a mall and, frankly, gives me the creeps.

Maybe because it's not my cup of tea, I thought it was rather self-conscious, and confusing. But they did seem to be enjoying it, at least. Bit of a shock for anyone wanting to celebrate rather more quietly or not feeling up to it, though! Definitely something of resurrection joy there but I think I'd be more inclined in a place like that to watch, than to worship.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mightn't any church service be thought of as a shock for someone expecting or wanting something different?

I've just been watching the St. John the Baptist video Scott Knitter linked to just above, and just for a small case, the chanting of the Gospel would be a shock for someone hoping to hear the Gospel told as a real story.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

Well, AR, I was soft-pedalling that for someone not positively wanting to dance around and look incredibly happy it might be a shock. Of course Easter Day is the day you expect even Christians to look happy [Razz] . But if you were coming to church with a really heavy heart, following a desparate bereavement, or feeling suicidal, the style of worship might have been hard to join in with.

There is a difference between worship being different, and worship being that different. I'm not complaining, though. Honest. After all, I defended Mothering Sunday, which is actually offensive to some, much less a shock, and has less of a reason to be in the calendar, obviously than an Easter celebration.

I think, too, it's not what I might have associated with an Episcopal church. But variety is the spice of life, as they say. Not all shocks are unpleasant!

Just out of interest why is the gospel less 'real' when sung?

[ 18. April 2007, 14:08: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

Ascension-ite
Shipmate
# 1985

- Posted      Profile for Ascension-ite   Email Ascension-ite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was it me, or in the St Gregory of Nyssa video was the first clip of the priest or be-ponchoed person censing the congregation/altar the oddest liturgical movement anyone has seen before? Hope I'm not getting too purgatorial, but, Good Lord, what was that?
Posts: 318 | From: Old Dominion | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:

The problem is the context. The dancing in the circle is less about celebrating transcedence as it is about celebrating ourselves. Dancing in the liturgy in almost all contexts in developed Western countries has this problem to a greater or lesser degree, but St. Gregory of Nyssa somehow manages to demonstrate better than anyone the objectionable nature of dancing liturgy. And I haven't gotten into the silly absurdity of the "dancing saints" - where Bloody Queen Bess and Malcolm X dance hand in hand. One might as well have an icon in the sancturay of Bishops Robinson and Akinola blowing each other - that's how silly it is.

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow. Just wow.
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016