homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JArthurCrank:
the Monastic Fraternity of Jerusalem. They are quite an interesting group, one that I would like to meet someday.

You should try! They've recently taken over Trinitá dei Monti in Rome and the worship there is absolutely amazing.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are indeed a superb, vibrant, young community. Here's another yes vote in their favour! I have one of their CDs and occasionally wish we had a French Mass so we could do things in their style.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ignatius' Acolyte
Shipmate
# 12426

- Posted      Profile for Ignatius' Acolyte   Author's homepage   Email Ignatius' Acolyte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
the Monastic Fraternity of Jerusalem. They are quite an interesting group, one that I would like to meet someday.

I'm watching the archived video now. It's brilliant! Why wouldn't the likes of EWTN broadcast offices like this more often?

--------------------
Be a blessing.

Posts: 427 | From: Quezon City, the Philippines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Also, from the same French Catholic TV network, Lauds from the Monastic Fraternity of Jerusalem. They are quite an interesting group, one that I would like to meet someday.

Lauds

That is so beautiful. Bless them. I was really moved.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
I have one of their CDs and occasionally wish we had a French Mass so we could do things in their style.

Much of their music is, I believe, composed by Andre Gouzes and I think some of it has even been translated into English.

We used to frequent their Church in Brussels every 6 weeks or so when we couldn't stand dreary Flemish liturgy any more. We took an evangelical friend to their Easter Vigil and it was partly as a result of this experience that she decided to become Catholic the next year.

I think what they are doing is far superior to much of what flies under the "reform-of-the-reform" banner. It has a spirit of freedom and honesty, yet is beautiful and traditional. No altars with phony gradines and fake tabernacles for them!

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like some of Gouzes' music is available in English here.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PostDenominational Catholic:
quote:

I'm watching the archived video now. It's brilliant! Why wouldn't the likes of EWTN broadcast offices like this more often?
I've never known EWTN to telecast Lauds and Vespers. The Poor Clare nuns must do them daily, so what's the deal? While I know that the American ICEL hours leaves much to be desired, there is simply no excuse for the non-exposure of the Hours to the average Catholic. None whatsoever. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've never known EWTN to telecast Lauds and Vespers. The Poor Clare nuns must do them daily, so what's the deal? While I know that the American ICEL hours leaves much to be desired, there is simply no excuse for the non-exposure of the Hours to the average Catholic. None whatsoever. [Disappointed]

They used to (perhaps still do?) broadcast LotH MP and EP on their radio service. It was done by two men in a radio studio, however.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

They did it during the Nine Days of Mourning a couple of years ago. Personally, I think it was a chance for "screen time" for the MFVA brothers, since their masses were pushed aside in favor of the masses at St. Peter's!

The offices were conducted by the brothers in the "choir" section of their usual chapel. Different ones took turns leading, and it was good to see that not just the priestly ones had the chance to lead.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to hear it! They should do it more often, even though I personally find the MFVA brothers to be among the most naff traddy-oriented religious I have ever seen. There's something about them that's not quite right, that I can't put my finger on.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is getting us off-topic but watch for Fr. Mark Mary MFVA on EWTN, Crank. He is a fine preacher and theologian. The rest do seem dodgy at times.

And now back on topic: I have never managed to get the Office feed on EWTN to work. Is it me or is their feed wonky?

Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
make that EWTN.com.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
This is getting us off-topic but watch for Fr. Mark Mary MFVA on EWTN, Crank. He is a fine preacher and theologian. The rest do seem dodgy at times.

They seem traditional, and then a celebrant will get up there and do practically a standup comedy routine during the unfortunate ad-lib opportunity at the beginning of Mass. Very confusing. Here we all are, ready to dedicate ourselves to worship, and now let's take a moment to chuckle about a pun, or how a visiting priest is a baseball fan.
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

Unfortunately, I can't be too harsh on the ETWN people for doing this since the rubrics allow ad-lib at the intro and seemingly everyone does it, in every parish that I have been a member of. I wish it would be abolished, along with the horrible "song-leaders," but a vain wish it seems to be.

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

It's true, Scott. Again, though, Fr. Mark Mary tends to avoid such frivolity when he presides at the televised Mass, and his homilies are actually quite good. He may be best known as the sidekick who often gets short shrift (i.e. cut off in mid-sentence) on LIFE ON THE ROCK, EWTN's Thursday-night show for young adults. Which, incidentally, is available on video, thus making this tangent on topic (!?)

Here he is to the right of Mother Angelica:

http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/images/friar_friarpriest&mother.jpg

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Unfortunately, I can't be too harsh on the ETWN people for doing this since the rubrics allow ad-lib at the intro and seemingly everyone does it, in every parish that I have been a member of. I wish it would be abolished, along with the horrible "song-leaders," but a vain wish it seems to be.

Many priests need to check the rubric: "The priest, or deacon, or other suitable minister may very briefly introduce the Mass of the day." So the ad-lib needs to have that focus. Too bad it often doesn't.

And it would be great if the "may" were observed and the "brief introduction" skipped.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
Here he is to the right of Mother Angelica:

I didn't know there was anybody to the right of Mother Angelica.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Can you post a video of yourself hitting the rimshot?
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] Delightful! Ka-boom!

That Gouzes chant is beautiful, very much like Kievan chant.

Best wishes,

Mary

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Come a bit farther north, JAC. The young priests coming out of St John's Seminary rarely indulge in that sort of thing. I'm now spoiled and it really jars me when we get an older priest who does the 'chat and joke' routine!

The horrible "song-leaders" alas, are still a problem, although some of us do our tiny bit by simply singing, carrying ourselves with quiet dignity, and refusing to wave our arms around in the air.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

You are indeed richly blessed. I didn't realize that things had improved that much in Boston!

--------------------

A.N. Wilson

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't vouch for what Boston gets - St John's only spits out a new priest or two per year (if that - there are none scheduled for next year and only our dear Deacon Paul this year). But I'm lucky enough to have been involved for many years now with the churches where most of the New Hampshire deacons and new priests do their apprenticing before being kicked off on their own.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
quote:

Many priests need to check the rubric: "The priest, or deacon, or other suitable minister may very briefly introduce the Mass of the day." So the ad-lib needs to have that focus. Too bad it often doesn't.

And it would be great if the "may" were observed and the "brief introduction" skipped.

"Good Morning and welcome to our Celebration today on the third Sunday of Easter, my name is Bob and I shall be your priest today and we will begin by confessing our sins..."

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
"Good Morning and welcome to our Celebration today on the third Sunday of Easter, my name is Bob and I shall be your priest today and we will begin by confessing our sins..."

Max

Welcome to my world. At least you get the invocation before this.
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

Max

Welcome to my world. At least you get the invocation before this.
Thankfully - this doesn't happen everywhere, at the church I go to in London (with the 1 hour sermons) the priest uses the bit before the general confession to explain a little bit about the Sunday, where we are in the liturgical year and will somehow relate that to some kind of ancient tradition from the early church or will explain why that particular sunday is so special.
Can be quite interesting most times - sometimes can be a bit OTT.

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Young fogey
Shipmate
# 5317

- Posted      Profile for Young fogey   Author's homepage   Email Young fogey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks for all of these.

Of course I'd seen some of the traditionalist and conservative ones before.

Best look at St Gregory's I've had.

It reinforces things I've said about them before...

Every few years somebody sends me their URL expecting me because of my theology and churchmanship to hate them.

I don't.

They may be wrong about some things.

But their heart is in the right place. Bright, creative people.

Of course I understand the criticism about eclecticism, the food court etc.

At times especially at the beginning of the video they capture the flavour of Orthodox and other Eastern worship - it even has an air of antiquity in the first scene!

And I see the parallels to traditional Anglo-Catholicism. Always did. The elaborate vesture and hardware, using unauthorised texts, seeking the mystical and so on. (Ritual rascality!)

Thanks again.

--------------------
A conservative blog for peace

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Max:
Goodmorning... my name is Bob and I shall be your priest today...

omg! That is awful! I am not a consumer or a tourist! I don't want him to be my priest today (so to speak), signposting his role in temporal terms, I want him to be the same priest he was yesterday and the day before, after the order of Melchizedek. When I worship, I want to enter into kairos. Stop trying to chain us to the temporal like supermarket greeters or tour guides, you bloody mediocrities!

There's a pewsheet for explanations and introductions. I wish they'd use it. [Disappointed]

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Max

Today we shall be trialling the latest altar-wine specially imported from Portugal and carrying the certficate of the Archbishop of Lisbon. We shall also be offering Holy Communion in one or both kinds, with optional gluten-free hosts. Please ask to see the menu for our special after-mass events and the children's liturgy. We hope you have a pleasant experience this mass; if you have any adverse comments please ask to see the Parish Priest or leave a message with one of the acolytes. Now please pay especial attention to the safety procedures in the case of apoplexy or sudden outbreaks of heresy....

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Fantastic, Angloid!
[Killing me]
I'm waiting for 'Please fasten your seatbelts' while inwardly wishing for (myself) one of those ejector seats for undesirables as featured on the US UCC advertisements.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Paul's Orthodox Church, Houston, Texas.

This is a direct link that will download the file (9.13MB).

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
aredstatemystic
Shipmate
# 11577

- Posted      Profile for aredstatemystic   Author's homepage   Email aredstatemystic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beautiful video, St. B.!

--------------------
http://aredstatemystic.wordpress.com/

Posts: 154 | From: Oh, You Know. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, St. Bertelin! It's lovely!

Mary

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Prudentius
Shipmate
# 11181

- Posted      Profile for Prudentius   Email Prudentius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Check out this great moment in Holy Week liturgy in Chicago. It seems at least one bishop there approves of break dancing: Holy Week in Chicago

--------------------
The truth shall set us free. In the end, there can be no healing without justice; no justice without the truth; no truth without full accountability. We’re not there yet!

Posts: 317 | From: NY | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Prudentius:
Check out this great moment in Holy Week liturgy in Chicago. It seems at least one bishop there approves of break dancing: Holy Week in Chicago

Oh, be kind! Cardinal George suffered a painful yet minor fracture of the pelvis in that fall. [Eek!] He slipped on holy water.

I do admit to chuckling at the Dick Van Dyke Show theme's timing to the video, though. [Hot and Hormonal]

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned...

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:

I love the video, but I'm wondering (seriously, not being contrary here) what is really Orthodox about St Paul's? Everything looks traditional-Anglican to me. I may be dense. [brick wall]
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I love the video, but I'm wondering (seriously, not being contrary here) what is really Orthodox about St Paul's? Everything looks traditional-Anglican to me. I may be dense. [brick wall]
I can't speak with any great authority but my understanding of Western Rite parishes under Antioch is that they usually fall into one of two camps. There are those who predominantly use the Mass of St Gregory, and follow the Roman tradition, and then there are those who predoninantly use the Mass of St Tikhon. The latter is of Anglican origin but modified to make it acceptable to Orthodoxy. It was Patriarch St Tikhon who petitioned the Holy Synod of Russia to allow this (before the jurisdictional chaos in America resulting from the Russian revolution). The Antiochians have expanded that tradition. (Personally, I don't like the St Tikhon liturgy for a number of reasons but it is authorised and so I'd have no problem going to it).

There's nothing in that video, though, that indicates to me which of those camps St Paul's falls into. What about it seems not Orthodox (apart from the topless women [Big Grin] )?

[ 28. April 2007, 14:43: Message edited by: Saint Bertelin ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
[QBThere's nothing in that video, though, that indicates to me which of those camps St Paul's falls into. What about it seems not Orthodox (apart from the topless women [Big Grin] )? [/QB]

Just that so many things are done in the usual Anglican way. I know I'm conditioned to expect Orthodox liturgy to be bathed in exotic, other-worldly light (this is a good thing) and be just beyond my intellectual grasp (also good). I pretty well know what's going on in that video. Although I seem to have missed topless women. I was too busy wondering whether "Auntie Oaken" is the standard pronunciation of Antiochian. [Confused]
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
quote:
There's nothing in that video, though, that indicates to me which of those camps St Paul's falls into. What about it seems not Orthodox (apart from the topless women [Big Grin] )?

Just that so many things are done in the usual Anglican way. I know I'm conditioned to expect Orthodox liturgy to be bathed in exotic, other-worldly light (this is a good thing) and be just beyond my intellectual grasp (also good). I pretty well know what's going on in that video.
The question is, what did the usual Anglican way develop from? What are it antecedents? St Paul's is a Western - not Byzantine - rite parish, and so I'd expect to see Western worship forms there, with which somebody from the Western liturgical tradition (such as yourself) would be familiar.

I've been able to dig up this old post of mine, which may help give a better idea of the ideas behind the use of the St Tikhon Mass. I suppose that, while in Britain, we have the question of which Western traditions from our Orthodox past to use, in America, that question is different because it was never an Orthodox country, and its liturgical heritage is largely Catholic & Anglican in origin, so the answers are fairly straightforward. I suppose, on reflection, that it makes sense for Orthodox in America to adapt the Anglican services in a way that it perhaps doesn't here in Britain. Hmmm.

(Disclaimer: I mentioned in that post the martyrdom of St Tikhon. I have since read conflicting things about his death and haven't a clue what actually happened).

quote:
Although I seem to have missed topless women.
I was referring to the notable absence of mantillas, hats, or headscarves. [Big Grin]

quote:
I was too busy wondering whether "Auntie Oaken" is the standard pronunciation of Antiochian. [Confused]
Yes, now you've confused me as well. Over the past two years, I've worked out that when talking to Britons people, I should say Anti-okk-ian, and while talking to Americans, I should say Anti-oak-ian. You've completely blown my theory out of the water. [Big Grin]

[ 28. April 2007, 15:19: Message edited by: Saint Bertelin ]

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
quote:

Oh, be kind! Cardinal George suffered a painful yet minor fracture of the pelvis in that fall. [Eek!] He slipped on holy water.

I do admit to chuckling at the Dick Van Dyke Show theme's timing to the video, though. [Hot and Hormonal]

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned...

Yes, I was horrified when I saw this on the news at Easter time. It happened during the blessing of Easter baskets at one of the north side parishes on Holy Saturday morning. Cardinal George finished the liturgy like a trooper, but was then rushed to the hospital. He missed the Great Vigil of Easter, which I believe was celebrated by the Vicar General Bishop Rassas, and the Mass of Easter Day, which was covered by Bishop Lyne, a retired auxiliary bishop who celebrates weekly at Holy Name Cathedral anyway and served as the rector for years before his episcopal ordination.
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just that so many things are done in the usual Anglican way. I know I'm conditioned to expect Orthodox liturgy to be bathed in exotic, other-worldly light (this is a good thing) and be just beyond my intellectual grasp (also good). I pretty well know what's going on in that video.
The question is, what did the usual Anglican way develop from? What are it antecedents? St Paul's is a Western - not Byzantine - rite parish, and so I'd expect to see Western worship forms there, with which somebody from the Western liturgical tradition (such as yourself) would be familiar.

I've been able to dig up this old post of mine, which may help give a better idea of the ideas behind the use of the St Tikhon Mass. I suppose that, while in Britain, we have the question of which Western traditions from our Orthodox past to use, in America, that question is different because it was never an Orthodox country, and its liturgical heritage is largely Catholic & Anglican in origin, so the answers are fairly straightforward. I suppose, on reflection, that it makes sense for Orthodox in America to adapt the Anglican services in a way that it perhaps doesn't here in Britain. Hmmm.

(Disclaimer: I mentioned in that post the martyrdom of St Tikhon. I have since read conflicting things about his death and haven't a clue what actually happened).

quote:
Although I seem to have missed topless women.
I was referring to the notable absence of mantillas, hats, or headscarves. [Big Grin]

quote:
I was too busy wondering whether "Auntie Oaken" is the standard pronunciation of Antiochian. [Confused]
Yes, now you've confused me as well. Over the past two years, I've worked out that when talking to Britons people, I should say Anti-okk-ian, and while talking to Americans, I should say Anti-oak-ian. You've completely blown my theory out of the water. [Big Grin]

There is an "inside" joke among some in other Orthodox jurisdictions which call them "Annie Oaklians" as many are converts from Southern Protestant backgrounds. [Eek!] [Smile] [Two face]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prudentius
Shipmate
# 11181

- Posted      Profile for Prudentius   Email Prudentius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We must be scrupulously precise in our use of ecclesial terms, especially in regard to rubric and ritual. Otherwise, we will not sound as though we take ancient ritual seriously. The present climate tells us that the "old time religion" is what is going to cure all ills in the decaying ediface of the Roman structure, and we certainly must give it a shot.

In regard to the Chicago Holy Week liturgy, one respondent posted:
quote:
It happened during the blessing of Easter baskets at one of the north side parishes on Holy Saturday morning. Cardinal George finished the liturgy like a trooper...
Now, in examining the complete works of Fortescue, I find no reference to a liturgy for the Blessing of Easter Baskets. On the other hand, there has been a domestic custom of popular piety, more widely associated with the Eastern European cultures, where the simple faithful brought their foods prepared for the family Easter table to the church to be blessed. This is a beautiful custom. Anything which makes the connection between our family table and the Table of the Lord more emphatically expressed is worthy of our encouragement -- even if it is a lay person who originally had the idea.

The Blessing of Easter Foods (or perhaps there is a new blessing of Easter Baskets complete with bunnies and jelly beans -- if not, maybe it could be suggested to the USCCB) would be considered a para-liturgy , rather than a liturgy.

As to the fall of His Magnificence, do not all things have purpose in God's plan? Perhaps it is God's way of telling the Church that our dignitaries should be carried around in sedan chairs. These used to be used only for the pope. In our confusion and error at the time of evil, when the Church attempted to make sense, we not only re-called the supreme pontiff's sedan, we moved in the wrong direction altogether. We need more pomp not less? How about sedan chairs of a variety of sizes and appropriate colors for cardinals, cardinal bishops, cardinal deacons; less ornate sedans for bishops who are ordinaries of a diocese, simpler yet for titular bishops of places that don't exist anymore; the pageantry and safety of our stars is foremost -- sedans for monsignors! Three varieties of course. Simple presbyters, who have achieved the office of pastor and are able, should be encouraged to walk on stilts. Parochial vicars should roller skate.

Why else would George have taken the symbolic fall? Certainly it had nothing to do with obfuscation and preaching peace and wellness when there is none.

--------------------
The truth shall set us free. In the end, there can be no healing without justice; no justice without the truth; no truth without full accountability. We’re not there yet!

Posts: 317 | From: NY | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Can I have what he's having?
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

No.
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Why else would George have taken the symbolic fall? Certainly it had nothing to do with obfuscation and preaching peace and wellness when there is none.

Cardinal George had polio as a youth, and usually walks with a profound limp.

+

Cardinal George is notoriously liberal with sprinklings and incensings. Perhaps the message to him is to use less water!

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and do a billion Catholics know they belong to a decaying Roman ediface??? [Roll Eyes]

[ 29. April 2007, 22:25: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mater et Magistra
Shipmate
# 9966

- Posted      Profile for Mater et Magistra   Email Mater et Magistra   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think Prudentius is capable of making a post about any subject, on any board, without taking a swipe at the "decaying edifice of the Roman Church".

Back to the Cardinal George tangent, though, yes, he suffered from polio as a child, and within the last year had surgery for cancer. These conditions I'm sure had an impact on his injury and recovery. God bless him and grant him many more years.

Blessing of the food or baskets on Holy Saturday is quite common in my neck of the woods, although not all parishes have them. The Polish and Portuguese and Hispanic parishes tend to do it, while the "Irish" ones tend not to.

I'm not sure what light, if any, that sheds on how much we're decaying round here. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 110 | From: Northeastern U.S. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm late to this thread. That's to my regret.

That was the RC Cathedral of Leeds, right? If so, why a processional cross and not a processional crucifix? Or do my glasses need adjusting?

Also, I really like Farther Mark Mary of EWTN. He is a good preacher. Should we have a thread on why RC priests can't preach good sermons/homilies? I can count on one hand those that I have known who can preach good homilies and he is one of them.

I must say, that for all the criticism EWTN receives it does fill a void. God bless them. And have you ever seen a bunch of priests who make being a monk and priest so, well, hip?

Now, more videos, please. I need something to do at the office tomorrow.

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This video seems barely within the remit of this thread, but as the thread is on the verge of drifting to page two, I thought I'd take the chance.

In today's New York Times (about one third of the way down the page) you can catch a glimpse of the proper liturgical goings-on at Father Braxton's oratory for wayward girls (properly called Carmen's Place). What's to like? Celebration ad orientem, a proper chasuble (I bet he's got a maniple on!), a tabernacle, sanctuary lamp, incense, acolyte, votive lights, the works!

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

One wonders if his congo is always that distracted, of if the presence of cameras caused the chaos behind him!
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Silent Acolyte, any link or tips on what to search for at the New York Times, now that it's no longer today?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016