homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched Mockingbird's video and thought, did those guys convert to the EC from the Hare Krishnas? It's not that big of a leap these days. [Two face]
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
Now, can somebody please explain to me what that besurpliced man was doing?

He's playing the drum. We have several drums and a timbrel, and many of the congregation clap. It's one of their few departures from their generally reserved behavior.

They're all actually singing Abraham D. Maraire's Zimbabwe Alleluia, (which we only use during Eastertide) but to include copyrighted music in a film requires an expensive clearance known as a synchronization license, so I put in a track of public-domain music. My camera doesn't record sound anyhow.

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you film this as part of an expose' to be sent to the bishop, or is such behavior affirmed in your diocese?
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
Did you film this as part of an expose' to be sent to the bishop, or is such behavior affirmed in your diocese?

Wasn't highchurc suspended or something? [Paranoid]

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Bertelin:
Now, can somebody please explain to me what that besurpliced man was doing?

He's playing the drum. We have several drums and a timbrel, and many of the congregation clap. It's one of their few departures from their generally reserved behavior.
That helps. It just loooked to me as though he was doing a dance and hitting the pew in front of him as part of it. I see the drum now I know it's there. Still, the others managed to play their instruments without the exaggerated gestures.
[Smile]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did Scott or anyone link this video yet?

--------------------
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
Did Scott or anyone link this video yet?

I sent the link out to some e-mail groups, but didn't link it here. Perhaps I got it from here? Anyway, it's fantastic, and thanks for making sure it's here.
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't see the drum either. Thought he was just waving his hands about spectacularly.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's absolutely no excuse for that sort of thing. If you feel that full of the power of the Spirit, have a little sit down.
Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

quote:
Originally posted by Archimandrite:
There's absolutely no excuse for that sort of thing.

Indeed. One hopes that Frs. Ted and Dougal will show up outside the parish with a sign that reads "DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING."
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dermot Morgan . the excellent actor who played the part of Father Ted, died nine years ago....

Perhaps we'll see him in heaven. I hope so. [Tear] [Votive]

Mary

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to Leetla Masha for flagging it up. For any interested, this is happening now.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And it is gorgeous! Do look if you can!

Best wishes,

Mary

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
And it is gorgeous! Do look if you can!

Best wishes,

Mary

I'm sorry for Italianising your name. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

That's okay, St. Bertelin! I misspelled your name often enough! [Hot and Hormonal]

So glad you had a chance to watch the joyful reunion of the Russian Orthodox Church with me, across all these miles. I was hoping they'd also show the Divine Liturgy, which, as they said, would "seal" the reunion in a sacramental way. Alas, there is "other news" on now, but we were blessed to see what we got to see, and I think we probably saw more than most people over there were able to see.

It was a beautiful moment in history.

Best wishes,

Mary

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

You're quite right. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity. Don't despair yet, though, they did say that they were leaving the cathedral "for now", so I'm staying tuned. That said, I can understand if you need to sleep. It must be early morning where you are now.

My own parish priest was upset about not being able to view it but he's working away from a computer today. I was able to spot Archbishops Mark, Hilarion, and Kyrill from ROCOR, in addition, of course, to Metropolitan Laurus and Patriarch AlexeyII.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

We're back!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are. Wonderful to hear, and to see the pictures, and sounds, of what happened (which I missed due to work meetings). Thanks be to God. Looking forward to more highlights from the day being shown.

[and I could watch that host all night... [Roll Eyes] ]

[ 17. May 2007, 08:49: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

I found streaming video of the beautiful service here on Christ the Saviour Cathedral's very slow website Reunion Service . One goes to the website, needn't wait for the whole page to load, just click on the blue lines at the bottom of the right-hand column and it will give you a 4 hr., 51 min. video that plays with Windows Media Player "Classic".

Try it if you haven't any other source. The sound (on my machine anyhow) is quite soft, but you can hear it.

Did you find a video archive of the service anywhere else, Ian or anybody?

Best wishes,

Mary

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

There's an "ecclesiantic" in that video that everyone will really enjoy, I think:

Russian Orthodox prelates have a corps of acolytes who are ready to help out in any emergency. "Russia Today" did not show the scene, which happens about an hour into the streaming video, where Patriarch Alexei needed to replace his mitre on his head, but from so much taking off and putting on of the mitre, his fine white hair had become dishevelled, so the acolyte handed him a fine ivory comb, with which the Patriarch smoothed back his white hair before replacing the mitre! Is that [Cool] or what?!

Best,

Mary

[ 17. May 2007, 15:28: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
I found streaming video of the beautiful service here on Christ the Saviour Cathedral's very slow website Reunion Service . One goes to the website, needn't wait for the whole page to load, just click on the blue lines at the bottom of the right-hand column and it will give you a 4 hr., 51 min. video that plays with Windows Media Player "Classic".

Try it if you haven't any other source. The sound (on my machine anyhow) is quite soft, but you can hear it.

Best wishes,

Mary

I swear you must have a patriarch-blessed computer that plays videos that are denied to mine. [Smile]

Which version of Windows Media Player exactly is it that you're using? If I know, I can download it and try again. Only I've tried it on version 10 and on Real Player and it won't talk to me, and I've just discovered that I don't have the right version of Windows XP (service pack 2? whatever that means) to be able to upgrade to version 11. [Frown]

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

No, it plays with "Windows Media Player Classic", which I think is downloadable though I don't know from where. It was on my machine when I bought the machine last year.

Good luck! I will google and see if I can find where Windows Media Player Classic can be downloaded.

Mary

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Try the download here and see if it works. It's just a stripped-down version of Windows Media Player, 9 MB, so in its stuffed file, it shouldn't take too long to download.

M

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
No, it plays with "Windows Media Player Classic"

Ahhh, sorry. I didn't realise that was the actual name of the version. I just thought that's what you were calling it because it was an older version.
[Hot and Hormonal]

But isn't this brilliant, though? I go away, put my pasta on, and I come back to find an answer. I love this site. [Big Grin]

Ta muchly!

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

I live to serve! Hope it works for you! The connection keeps timing out on me, but I persevere.

Best wishes to all, and apologies for geeky posts to get the video to play for you all! It's worth the trouble for the tat alone, but it's such a historic moment that I think everyone should have a chance to see it.

M [Smile]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... and it will give you a 4 hr., 51 min. video...

I think I'll take a long lunch [and spare pasta St B?] at work today.
[Big Grin]

Looking at the first few minutes, [Eek!] -- such beauty, such numbers, such colour. Wonderful: thanks indeed be to God for this day and this reunion.

quote:

No, but I haven't looked: but thank you indeed LM for these links, and St B also, especially for the reminders, of this most blessed occasion.

[Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

You're very welcome, Ian and St. B and everyone. It was my pleasure!

Anybody needing further viewing tips please pm me. I've got it down to brass tacks now with that Windows Media Player Classic.

Best wishes,

Mary

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

This is from Holy Thursday in my parish:

http://tinyurl.com/2hx852

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

As you can see, we nailed it even in the rehearsals in our choir room:

http://tinyurl.com/2g5tew

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As you can see, we nailed it even in the rehearsals in our choir room:

http://tinyurl.com/2g5tew

[Overused] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and does anyone do a Rock Mass quite like the King himself???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a-S3K6wXYpg

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Young fogey
Shipmate
# 5317

- Posted      Profile for Young fogey   Author's homepage   Email Young fogey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was just about to blog that: 'Elvis does a folk Mass' from the film Change of Habit.

The music and the dancing girls are so wrong even though the words are very earnest and well-meant.

Interestingly the church and ceremonial are still nice and 'high' and reverent... it was depicting the use of the 1965 Missal, which was as far as many/most people thought the changes would go (which would have been fine). I even like the offertory procession.

And you've even got Mary Tyler Moore kitted out like a proper nun!

--------------------
A conservative blog for peace

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

it is a camp classic!

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
and does anyone do a Rock Mass quite like the King himself???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a-S3K6wXYpg

I've never seen so much slap on a nun in my life. She looks as though she's just stepped in off a hen night.

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post 
Are you sure that was a nun? It looked more like Mary Tyler Moore in fancy dress.

Aumbry

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
Are you sure that was a nun? It looked more like Mary Tyler Moore in fancy dress.

Aumbry

Nah. I'm now almost certain it was Miss Dorothy in disguise, trying to hide from Mrs Meers.

[ 24. May 2007, 21:27: Message edited by: Saint Bertelin ]

--------------------

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
No, it plays with "Windows Media Player Classic", which I think is downloadable though I don't know from where. It was on my machine when I bought the machine last year.

Good luck! I will google and see if I can find where Windows Media Player Classic can be downloaded.

Mary

It's on YouTube now (I think)

here

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RCD:
It's on YouTube now (I think)
here

It doesn't appear to be complete. Sigh.
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Thanks very much indeed, RCD! At least, the excerpts from "Russia Today" on You Tube will give the flavour of it.... I tried to look at the 4hr. 51 min. video on the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour website last evening and this morning, and it won't play any more.... I guess they couldn't afford the bandwidth for more than a week.

I was just about to show people at my church on Sunday how to get the video, and was telling the choir about it last night at choir practice....but now the big video from the cathedral website with the whole service is no longer available. [Tear]

Mary

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

This is a period piece of Betjemania when every country village had a boys' choir. The last few minutes are fantastic.

Norfolk churches

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Thanks for that lovely You Tube video, aumbry! I just watched it and had an attack of acute nostalgia... oh, to be in England! The blurb credited the making of the programme to John Betjeman himself, 1974. I know John Betjeman died in '84. Miss him, he was one of my favourite poets.... [Votive]

Mary

[ 01. June 2007, 23:36: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

I particulary liked the changeover from the choir boys practising in the room below to the rector who was in the room upstairs oiling his model steam engines!

Aumbry

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Yes, that changeover was priceless!

M

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

If you enjoyed that then I recommend getting the DVD of Metroland in which Betjeman finds similar sorts of eccentricities at each stop of the tube.

Aumbry

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

I'll look for it, thanks!

M

--------------------

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

S. Clement's Rector announced in the June parish newsletter that a video of the High Mass and Procession for Corpus Christi will be uploaded to the parish website.
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Clear Creek Benedictines:

here

[UBB link to fix the scroll lock. __AR, Eccles Host]

[ 07. June 2007, 17:35: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Clear Creek Benedictines:

here

Very nice. Thanks for posting this.

[UBB link to fix the scroll lock. __AR, Eccles Host]

[ 07. June 2007, 17:42: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
S. Clement's Rector announced in the June parish newsletter that a video of the High Mass and Procession for Corpus Christi will be uploaded to the parish website.

What about Benediction?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

Sorry, yes, the Corpus Christi festival at S. Clement's will include High Mass, Procession of
the Blessed Sacrament & Benediction:

http://tinyurl.com/2fze2v

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016