homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Videos & Pictures (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Videos & Pictures
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very nice Latin NO Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes in Philadelphia- notice "I survey the Wondrous Cross" sung at the Offertory! [Smile]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=blM80QeuseQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wgwCwpIMPAs

St Silas, have you ever attended Mass here?? Looks quite nice.

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That IS my parish,I'm a server there.And it is nice.the choir's on vacation until next week,but we've had some lovely music.I've kept the service sheets.(And before anyone says anything,we did sing the propers also.we always do.)

[ 11. September 2007, 16:30: Message edited by: St.Silas the carter ]

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
That IS my parish,I'm a server there.And it is nice.the choir's on vacation until next week,but we've had some lovely music.I've kept the service sheets.(And before anyone says anything,we did sing the propers also.we always do.)

Wonderful! I would love to attend there sometime. Who is the cantor on the video?? He has a great voice.

Actually, I thought the hymn was perfectly attuned to the Offertory as well as beautiful in that setting.

[ 11. September 2007, 20:11: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have people seen this 'serving tutorial' for the extraordinary form?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:

Wonderful! I would love to attend there sometime. Who is the cantor on the video?? He has a great voice.

Actually, I thought the hymn was perfectly attuned to the Offertory as well as beautiful in that setting.

I think it was Mr.mark bradford,Our choral director.And I do love that hymn sung to rockingham.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This made my day today. There are Episcopal, RC, and many other versions, but the Lutheran was my fave.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

Miss Betty is the diva of divas! "Martin Luther was a Catholic priest who had just about had it and I know that feeling! So he wrote 95 things on the wall and went on a diet of worms. You know that takes real committment to just eat worms.............for the LORD!!!!!!!!!"

[Killing me]

[ 29. September 2007, 02:59: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Miss Betty is the diva of divas! "Martin Luther was a Catholic priest who had just about had it and I know that feeling! So he wrote 95 things on the wall and went on a diet of worms. You know that takes real committment to just eat worms.............for the LORD!!!!!!!!!"

[Killing me]

Mrs. Betty Butterfield is no fan of Tudor liturgical English: "I didn't study Shakespeare! How am I supposed to interpret all that?" She's priceless.
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Killing me]

She certainly does break down in tears at the best times. The taperer with the burning hair was a hoot, too.
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1979 BCP Mass in Latin at the Church of the Advent of Christ the King in San Francisco. Here's the Latin BCP; see pp. 209ff.
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Knitter:
1979 BCP Mass in Latin at the Church of the Advent of Christ the King in San Francisco. Here's the Latin BCP; see pp. 209ff.

WWCS??? What Would Cranmer Say??? [Biased]

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Liturgy Queen:
quote:

[Killing me]

She certainly does break down in tears at the best times. The taperer with the burning hair was a hoot, too.
You can't beat her crying and speaking in tongues. Did you see her one on the Buddhists and wondering if instead of incense, she could use Febreze??? [Smile]

--------------------

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Max.'s mention on another thread of a Youtube video with a eucharistic prayer he found dodgy sent me looking for it. I'm suspecting this is the one he meant. I've got to say, at the beginning it struck me simply as silly. But when he gets to the consecration, around 4:30, it becomes hilarious -- it sounds like someone on acid trying to be express the kind of profound insights one has when under the effects of hallucinogens.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found the picture displayed in the background after "take..eat...me" to be interesting!
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never let it be said that there's any connexion between westward celebration and crap liturgy.

Thurible

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And people say the Traditional Language is opaque.
Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm curious to know from our brethren and sistren from across the pond: is it only in America that "eat me" is an insulting retort?

--------------------

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pokrov
Shipmate
# 11515

- Posted      Profile for Pokrov   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Eat me' is also an insult over here!

I'm sorry but that was truly awful. Having come from the Charismatic movement, and now entering the Orthodox church, this DIY liturgy was like a car crash of my past and present.

[ 11. October 2007, 15:05: Message edited by: Richard Collins ]

--------------------
Most Holy Theotokos pray for us!

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, so I got to this by a strange route (Traditional Anglicans asking for corporate union with Rome), but it covers many current threads (sung Angelus, cottas, bowing the head).

I must admit I found it, well, creepy to be honest [Eek!]

[ 23. October 2007, 01:30: Message edited by: Triple Tiara ]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Okay, so I got to this by a strange route (Traditional Anglicans asking for corporate union with Rome), but it covers many current threads (sung Angelus, cottas, bowing the head).

You've gotta give them credit for that awesome mitre, though!
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But where was the genuflection?!
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:

Well, they don't seem to be very happy, do they??

Rome should be cautious.

--------------------

Monty
Shipmate
# 9227

- Posted      Profile for Monty   Email Monty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The video on that site shows the combination of a bishop wearing a dalmatic, acting as deacon of the mass, yet still wearing a mitre. It's right, but unusual.

--------------------
I too am High, even extreme, but somewhat lapsed, which is a sound position, as you belong to the best section of the best branch of the Christian Church, but seldom attend its services. Rose Macaulay

Posts: 170 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bunch 'o Loons! Did you notice the deacon's tonsure (which I have it on good authority he trims himself)?

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

quote:
Originally posted by Monty:
The video on that site shows the combination of a bishop wearing a dalmatic, acting as deacon of the mass, yet still wearing a mitre. It's right, but unusual.

Actually, the bishop is wearing the dalmatic under his chasuble, so he's not acting as deacon, but as celebrant in full pontificals.

--------------------

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I agree - and what horrid music!

Is St Agatha's the only real church they have? I see there are only 5 'parishes' in the UK; one meets in a scout hut, one in a nursing home and the other two prefer not to say...

A salutary lesson against schism IMHO

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What ever happened to that really loony Leslie "the Mad" Hamlett? He signed the initial petition for the pastoral provision, but ended up going into episcopi vagantes cuckoo-land. A lot of these English continuing church types are just like that - they are unordainable even if the English episcopate were all Kurt Krenn klones.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JArthurCrank:
What ever happened to that really loony Leslie "the Mad" Hamlett? He signed the initial petition for the pastoral provision, but ended up going into episcopi vagantes cuckoo-land. A lot of these English continuing church types are just like that - they are unordainable even if the English episcopate were all Kurt Krenn klones.

http://www.holy-catholic-church-wr.org/

As of 2006. Wot larks!

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
Originally posted by My Duck:
quote:

I agree - and what horrid music!

Is St Agatha's the only real church they have? I see there are only 5 'parishes' in the UK; one meets in a scout hut, one in a nursing home and the other two prefer not to say...

A salutary lesson against schism IMHO

The primary reason that the TAC have only five parishes in the UK is that the Church of England is one of the very, very few Anglican places to have accommodated those unable to accept the ordination of women. The Act of Synod made it all seem unnecessary to the majority.

+Mercer was, apparently, an excellent bishop when he was in Africa. I doubt that has changed.

I was rather surprised not to see a single woman 'covered' (i.e., wearing a head-covering of some variety).

Thurible

[ 24. October 2007, 23:02: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by Archimandrite:
quote:

As of 2006. Wot larks!

Well, they want to evangelise Sweden! What could be better??? [Razz] [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Archimandrite:
quote:

As of 2006. Wot larks!

Well, they want to evangelise Sweden! What could be better??? [Razz] [Ultra confused]
Isn't S. Ansgar going to be rather miffed when they tell him?

--------------------

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

- Posted      Profile for RCD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I didn't feel it was so bad except for the overbowing (like to the processional crucifix at the beginning) and the initial Ave Maria. I dislike that setting. And maybe if they had stayed slightly more in tune.

Out of curiosity, why did the priest kneel with the servers for the blessing of the incense?

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

I saw and wondered that, too. Not having Fortescue to hand (S. Bertelin, could you remove it from under your desk?), I wondered if it was simply a case that he wasn't used to assisting at a pontifical mass and simply followed the servers out of nervousness.

Thurible

--------------------

Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back when I was an altar server in Diocese X, the thurifurs knelt before the bishop at the throne while he was putting incense in the thurible. This was in the novus ordo - I don't know if that cathedral still does it.

The only thing that was creepy was the horrible Gounoud/Bach Ave Maria. On first hearing, I wondered what that unearthly screeching could possibly be and why that was at all tolerated and then understood as they panned in on the poor epicine 14 year old - a voice that only a mother or a pederast could love. [Disappointed]

The other negative was that the Marian devotions NEVER ENDED. That was complete overkill - no need for Ave Maria, then Angelus, then low mass leonine prayers at high mass [Ultra confused] then all of the Mary's dowry stuff, and on and on and on.

Otherwise, I'm glad that TAC has brought that historic parish back from the grave - even if there are only 10-20 parishioners. Wasn't that Father Dolling's parish? And, do they actually engage in ministry or are they just playing church?

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post 
Patronal Festival High Mass at St Peter's Eastern Hill in the presence of six bishops!

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Why are the bishops all in copes and mitres? Am I misremembering in thinking that, if they're not concelebrating, the 'other five' should be in choir dress?

Thurible

--------------------

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

So I'm finally about to see what the much-vaunted S. Clement's ceremonial - even if it's not the full thing yet.

Link

RCD
Shipmate
# 11440

Is it high! Salutations to the choir! But I wish some of the gestures - signs of the cross, breast beating - particularly of the subdeacon - were a little more natural.

Among the parts I found amusing was the choir member briefly rubbing his nose with the back of his surplice and the deacon looking out of the corner of his eyes from under his biretta at "Domine Deus Agnus Dei Filius Patris" [Big Grin]

FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

Having looked at a couple of the St.Clement's videos, I can say with confidence:

1) the music is beautiful
2) I have no desire to worship in such a manner

--------------------

Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

Hm...

Like:

*It's quite small, isn't it?
*Golly, the organ's vast!
*Nice tat.
*Choir's alright, but the sop's a bit sharp.

Don't like:
*Choir and orchestra at the front.
*Old men servers.
*Saluting a non-liturgical choir.
*Subdeacon just looked a bit embarrassed, really.
*Liturgical gestures all a bit forced and "and-slap-slap-slap-stop-one-two-three", instead of naturaly and flowing.
*Too much lace on the servers.

Interested by:
*Not a particularly conservatively-dressed congregation.
*Not that many ladies covered, but good to see the female choristers covered.
*Choristers singing from scrappy sheets of paper, rather than hymnals or nice folders.
*Not that many there full stop.
*Subdeacon can't sing very nicely.

All in all:

Most of the big Novus Ordo tatfests I've been to were better (plaudits to you, S. Silas, Kentish Town).

--------------------

Extol
Shipmate
# 11865

- Posted      Profile for Extol   Email Extol   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I had a suit on, but given that it was June and SCC isn't air conditioned, please forgive the less stalwart brethren for their sartorial compromises. [Biased]
Posts: 1287 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

quote:
Originally posted by lukacs:
Well, I had a suit on, but given that it was June and SCC isn't air conditioned, please forgive the less stalwart brethren for their sartorial compromises. [Biased]

Shurely y'all wear white linen suits and bowties? Don't shatter my cherished images!

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

I'm sure more than the usual S. Clement's members are checking out our opinions. Since I have the opportunity, I just wanted to thank you for this and for the audio podcasts.

I usually prefer something that can only be described as Solemn High Novus Ordo (if indeed that even exists), but the S. Clement liturgies also interest me. I like the occasional variety--for instance, sometimes Silent Canon, sometimes spoken.

[ 26. November 2007, 23:11: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Still waiting for the rest of the Mass to be posted. How long, O Lord?

(Am I the only one who's actually falling in love with the audio attack on the homepage)? [Paranoid]

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A really nice examples of some Easter Vigil Baptisms
Certainly a lot of joy at the service! [Big Grin]

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not too sure about the 'Roman slave' look. [Eek!]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
A really nice examples of some Easter Vigil Baptisms
Certainly a lot of joy at the service! [Big Grin]

That really freaks me out, I'm scared of water as it is, and the thought of being dunked BACKWARDS like that scares the life out of me! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spikey
Apprentice
# 9373

- Posted      Profile for Spikey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgy Queen:
Still waiting for the rest of the Mass to be posted. How long, O Lord?

More of the S. Clement's Mass video is supposed to be up in the next month or so at the following link:
Saint Clement's Church: High Mass of Corpus Christi.

Also, the entire Mass will be available on DVD before all of the individual chapters are posted to the website.

Posts: 14 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

quote:
Originally posted by RCD:
Is it high! Salutations to the choir! But I wish some of the gestures - signs of the cross, breast beating - particularly of the subdeacon - were a little more natural.

This is the problem I had watching the video from St Clement's from Corpus Christi- it just seems more like a pretty performance which I can appreciate aesthetically but not as worship at Mass. The gestures are just too theatrical and I have to say that I appreciate the beauty of a Tridentine High Mass.

[ 01. December 2007, 02:39: Message edited by: SeraphimSarov ]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope no one has posted this before:

Confession in the 21st Century

[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016