homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia 2010: Preservation (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia 2010: Preservation
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bo

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vivian is rather astonished. She is amazed that Hugh's revelation could be anything less than completely crystal clear to anyone. For goodness' sake, people, he saw Matilda Smudgeson coming home with a bloody knife the night before last. As in the same one that Kate got stabbed with.

Now either I'm being played for a monumental fool (and there is the chance that is a major odd or even-parity bluff), or Matilda is very, very, guilty. I'll go for the latter.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matilda

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matilda Smudgeson.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Ffloyd

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bo

Who's to say that Hugh was sober enough to see clearly?

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matilda.

An' lemmie tell ya' summin' lady, I can hold my likker wi' th' best of 'em!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matilda I haven't been welcome in her place since I last gave her a piece of my mind. Let's get rid of 'er and get a decent shop in here!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim was unsure if he could trust Hugh's revelation about the knife, so stuck with his nomination of Dan Floyd
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew Thomas knew why he had been replaced by younger, more able people in his previous position of responsibility in these parts. Spending more time with his family, and getting older, meant it took him longer to catch up with what was happening, and he had less time to "get involved".
He picked up snippets of conversations and accusations from around the town, and mulled things over in his mind. Brotherhood or not, that Matilda knew how to make a good cuppa and provide a welcoming space for townsfolk, so what would happen if lynching her closed the place down? Sure, voting for her now wasn't going to be the decider, but every vote counts.
Bo did previously accuse Leo, who had turned out to be innocent, but hadn't even Andrew himself been one of those swept along into voting for the poor guy, and tipping the majority? Guilt for an innnocent's blood gnawed at his very bones.
And as for Dan - he knew so little about the fellow, other than some sort of probability theory had caused his contribution to Leo's death, but was that motive enough to vote for lynching.
Was it guilt, laziness, cowardice, or just "analysis paralysis" that caused old Mr Thomas to vote for No lynching? only he would know.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matilda

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugh looked over his notes of the town meeting. At this point, it didn't particularly matter how Allison the reporter voted, as Matilda already had six out of twelve votes against her, with Dan and Bo having two votes each, and one for going back to the Angel and having another drink. While Hugh was all for customers having more drinks (so long as they paid!), he proposed that a gibbet be erected on Miss Rachel's lawn post haste.

Either that, or he'd be quite happy to make Miss Smudgeson dance the hempen jig from the rafters of his own pub, if it truly came down to that.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alison filed the court story from her Blackberry as the taxi turned off the motorway for Shipbury. The trial had lasted much longer than expected - new witnesses appearing, orders made against third parties for disclosure, and reams and reams of new evidence, most of which the resourceful journalist had not even had the chance to steal. Still, it had been entertaining enough. The Defendant's witnesses had, one-by-one, catastrophically imploded on the stand, not one of them managing to tell the same set of lies that they must have been clinging to doggedly over three years of litigation, and none of them even approaching consistency.

The Defendant's devastatingly handsome and articulate solicitor-advocate had done his best, Alison mused wistfully, and his re-examination of his key witness had been masterful, repairing some of the damage, but without coherent evidence his case was in ruins, and she had little doubt how next week's judgment hearing would go, assuming she were alive to see it.

Putting such thoughts aside, she turned to the question of the Shipbury murders...

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugh's right, it doesn't matter how I vote. But I'll explain what I think. Vivian says this:

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Vivian is rather astonished. She is amazed that Hugh's revelation could be anything less than completely crystal clear to anyone. For goodness' sake, people, he saw Matilda Smudgeson coming home with a bloody knife the night before last. As in the same one that Kate got stabbed with.

Now either I'm being played for a monumental fool (and there is the chance that is a major odd or even-parity bluff), or Matilda is very, very, guilty. I'll go for the latter.

I thought Hugh's revelation was absolutely clear, too. Do we believe him?

I can think of some reasons to doubt Hugh - the fact that the local undercover policeman has been murdered, and in a town the size of Shipbury we'd be lucky to have two of them, Hugh's apparent certainty about three people two nights in, his change of mind about Bo, and (it seems to me) the reckless way in which he declared his identity (the doctor foiling one murder should have made him more confident of survival, not less).

But on the other hand - he was right about Leo, and although I think some of the things he has said are curious on the hypothesis that he is a policeman, they would be even more bizarre on the hypothesis that he is either an ordinary villager or a criminal.

And, fortunately for us, his claims are testable. In two ways. We can lynch him, and find out that way. Or we can lynch the person he thinks is guilty, and see if he was right. The second (obviously) is better. Not just because Hugh has been nominated and Matilda hasn't, but also because if Hugh is guilty, then Matilda is (probably - she'd have claimed if not - an ordinary villager), and we sacrifice her to expose him. But if Matilda is guilty, then testing that by lynching Hugh would be to expose her at the cost of a policeman.

So there's an outside chance that Hugh is bluffing us. But it makes no difference. Even if he is, the sensible choice would still be to vote to lynch Matilda.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, with seven votes, the village has decided to lynch Matilda Smudgeson. She was a member of the BCS.

Matilda, if you would like to post a death scene, now is the time.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"ON MY LAWN???

HOW DARE YOU, YOU SON OF A BLIBBERING FLIBBERIGIBBIT?!!!!"

Here Miss Rachel's nurse came to tell her that her pulse was about fifty million point five and offered her a nice chill glass of something to make her feel better. Considering the percentage of alcohol in the glass, she accepted.

Muttered: "That nurse is the only worthwhile employee I've had. Who says they need nursing degrees. May have to give her a nice raise. Ten cents an hour maybe.

BUT! You who want to put something on my lawn? I'll hang you on a flibberygibbit myself if you try, you son of a unfeathered cow! I'll take the gibbity and stick it where the sun don't shine. I'll beat you with my cane until you wish you were in Antartica! I'll ..."

Here the nurse brought a refill and another request to calm down. One of the neighbors once again wished there were still police to call about the noise.

"Look you young son of a watered curmudgeon, I'll forgive you under one circumstance: set that gibbet up on the neighbor's lawn where I'll have the perfect view..."

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matilda sighed. It really was inevitable, she realised, that the townsfolk would unite against her. They never do like newcomers, even when those newcomers bring a much-needed source of refreshment to the area (that pub, after all, didn't have much going for it) and when they fight tooth and nail for the preservation of the area.
The hammering sound of the gibbet being erected vibrated through the walls and windows of the little teashop and set the best china a-rattling. She had been ill-suited to the role she had taken, being far too sweet and innocent to maintain a facade for much longer. Perhaps she should have stuck to baking scones instead of meddling with murder and mayhem.
She shuddered. Death may be inevitable but there was still one way in which she could exercise control. She had, during the day, prepared a very special cup of tea for just this eventuality. She determinedly lifted the cup to her lips. One sip. A second sip. It took very little time to work.
By the time the mob burst into the cafe to take her prisoner it was too late. Miss Matilda Smudgeson lay dead on the floor, the last dregs of tea staining her pristine apron. In future they would have to make their own tea.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bo was up early baking. It seemed there was going to be a good old-fashioned lynching today, and she wanted to make sure the pub had plenty of pork pies, curry puffs and cheesy potato pasties for the crowd that was certain to gather there afterwards.

Nothing like a public spectacle to whet the appetite - especially when a real villain had been unmasked...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

...She was on her way to the pub with her baskets of still steaming goodies when she noticed the emergency services vehicle outside the tea rooms again. As the body bag was carried out, someone turned the sign on the door over and wrote along the bottom edge of it.

It now read "CLOSED and good riddance!"

Bo shuddered, and hurried up to the Angel. She wondered if someone had been sent to tell the very energetic carpenters of Shipbury to halt work, yet.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice work citizens! You can all sleep with a self-satisfied smile on your faces as night falls. [Smile]

If you have night actions, please PM them to me. Thanks.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

The Angel and Greyhound was packed to the gills as night fell; even Ms. Langton had trouble making her way through the crowd with an emergency order of fresh pastries for Hugh's customers. The whisky flowed freely and the beer engines ran throughout the evening as the villagers and assorted visitors enjoyed a feeling of renewed calm, if only for a short while. Hugh was just glad that everyone had arrived after the fresh casks had; they were just at their peak, ready to be tapped and, he hoped, drained.

Suddenly, a hush fell on the crowded pub as the Chief Inspector came in the door, striding up to the counter. For the first time ever, Hugh wondered if he ought to have taken that smoking ban more seriously . . .

The inspector pulled a pack of cigarettes from his breast pocket. "Got a light back there, mate?"

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miz Lillian strode...well...walked as quickly as her 86-year-old legs could carry her. Hazel walked easily at her side, looking forward to dinner at The Angel and Greyhound. (Miz Lillian's treat.) They were both in need of some comfort food, and gossip.

Matilda's doing herself in before she could be done to was surely the subject of much speculation. Also, the speculation about Matilda's other helper or helpers would perhaps be enlightening.

Miz Lillian had some speculations she would like to share with some of the older and wiser crowd.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dalbhac had been very concerned when the townsfolk circled around Matilda, but now that the horrible deed was done there was a certain relief that they had at least got the right person

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

"AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO SEE IT!"

--------------------

Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"So Mathilda was one of the ones who so viciously waylaid me in the park and sent me here to the other side!" thought Kate Dominic. "Hah! If she plans to haunt the town, she'd better not come anywhere near me, or she'll know why!" Kate, who had recently discovered the thrill of being able to shoot up vertically into the air, took off like a rocket, setting what she thought was surely a record for straight vertical jumping.

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan was feeling rather pleased with himself as he checked the beer for poison. The BCS claimed to be out to protect the traditions of Shipley, but really they were just out to turn it into a heritage centre full of tea shops. Poisoning the real ale was just a sign of their dodgy ways.

Having ensured that the beer wasn't poisoned, he went back to his seat. It occurred to him as he drank that he really should have checked his own beer....

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Morning breaks...

...and once again, Shipbury has to mourn the loss of a resident. Dan Ffloyd has been murdered by the BCS. He was a Doctor.

We now move to the accusations, defence and discussion round. Same procedures as before.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

... Dan being slumped dead on the floor of the pub having just drunk some poisoned beer wondered why nobody was setting out to catch the ones who'd done the dastardly deed. It couldn't be too difficult, he thought.
The fact that his body was still where he'd died (and in the pub at that) more than twenty four hours after his death just goes to show how public services are damaged under capitalism, he thought, before remembering that being dead he couldn't think.

The point of being a living statue was that you were living surely?

[ 17. March 2010, 11:37: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vivian looked across the village green. The silence was deafening. Nobody wanted to make any accusations for the death of the town's doctor, which seemed rather odd to her, taken their recent success against the murderous mob.

Vivian had a suspiscion about the identity of another of the killers, she was far from sure, but thought it was worth airing her opinion, if only to get the ball rolling. And then, she might be right.

Once one of their own had been exposed, the evildoers had two choices - either to cut their losses and lynch one of their own, or to vote for someone else (most probably Bo) in order to try to save her. Vivian thinks that at least one member of the mob went for the latter option.

Melindra Tallston's vote sounds rather unconvincing to me and I suspect her of nefarious motives.

--------------------

Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Poor Dan," thought Kate Dominic. "He is having trouble getting the hang of this being dead thing. He just keeps hanging around the pub. He could be having a lot more fun out here in the park. I wouldn't mind sharing it, as long as he is civil and doesn't disarrange things. But I guess we all have to stake out our haunting spots."

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Wow, the village is quiet today. We shall move to a vote in about 24 hours, so if you want to nominate someone or air your opinions, you should do it soon.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Matilda whooshed through her beloved Shipbury, slowly getting the hang of the art of moving with no body to move with. Straight lines were quite easy but corners took a little more concentration than she'd have expected. She was rather disappointed (but not entirely surprised) to have been rumbled so quickly, but at least she had her revenge now on Dan!

She'd have to do something about that Dominic woman.. er.. ghost. Acting as if she owned the place! Shame she couldn't yet think of a way to murder the already-murdered!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying out the pub, Melindra considers.

"The atmosphere of Vivian's establishment never seems to fit the rest of Shipbury. Rather smug, as a cat that has successfully maintained dominance over all of the mice within a square mile. If she were truly only the proprietress of the Country House Hotel, wouldn't she have at least part-time help, one of the local girls, which would show the town that she wants to invest in the town, and help it to develop in a healthy way? Since she attempts to do all of the work of running her hotel by herself, Vivian must have a reason for keeping others from close interaction with her. Besides, all hotel-keepers are inveterate gossips, with connections all over. Vivian does not gossip."

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Bo woke late after a long night where she had been run off her legs at the Angel; trying to keep up with the demand for food; the need to celebrate and especially the need to talk. It was somewhat eerie to wake up to the deafening silence in Shipbury and headlines that the doctor had now been murdered. Who? Who could it be behind the BCS? She knew country people had a reputation for not being too bright, and she suspected she was not a very good judge of character. But as it was St.Patrick's day, her thoughts turned towards the Irish. "Hmmm, Dalbahc Nuabha's votes have been very suspicious lately. I reckon he's hiding behind his art."

[ 17. March 2010, 20:31: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

So, Melindra's grounds for accusing me are that I'm not a proper citizen of Shipbury? One of those Jonny-come-latelies who she no doubt thinks would be in favour of Tesco and the whole nine yards? Sounds like the sort of thing that the Brotherhood would say to me [Paranoid]

Does she actually have any evidence to link me to the crime apart from the fact that I just suggested that she has a part in it? Methinks the lady doth protest too much...

FWIW I think Dalbhac looks quite suspiscious as well. However, the last thing we want is for a vicious killer to get away with it by splitting the vote. Honest citizens of Shipbury, we need to decide carefully. I'm happy to try to lynch either one, but let's not allow them to divide and conquer.

(My other defence is that if I was the mastermind behind Shipbury's murderous rampage, I would be carrying it out with considerably more cunning and aplomb [Two face] [Snigger] . Anyone who came to the murder mystery weekend at the hotel will remember that Prima Donna Silvia Conspiratia Screwtape Berlusconi is a truly Machiavellian evil genius and she never, ever gets caught [Biased] )

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Oh, and since the local private eye is still alive, I would like to know if he learned anything interesting last night...

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Hugh was slightly whitefaced at the news that the doctor was now dead. A poisoning! Right under his own nose! Hugh was wondering if he should just slip away in the night, perhaps try to blend in somewhere . . . different. He'd heard that the Dominicans ran a rather nice pub somewhere in Belgium . . . certainly the BCS couldn't find him there . . .
As he poured himself another glass of nerve tonic (Caol Isla 18-Year Cask Strength--who knows if he'd live another day to enjoy it ever again), a new face walked through the front door. Hugh knew from his investigations who Melindra was; in fact, he had been more than a little suspicious of her once upon a time, but no reputable rumors ever connected her to the Brotherhood. Granted, the Brotherhood was the one thing nobody could connect her to, but Hugh was rather happy not to be privy to such scandals.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Once one of their own had been exposed, the evildoers had two choices - either to cut their losses and lynch one of their own, or to vote for someone else (most probably Bo) in order to try to save her. Vivian thinks that at least one member of the mob went for the latter option.

I’ve thought about that, and it seems to me to be our best lead at the moment.

As I see it, the accusation against Matilda was pretty solid, and it would have required an unusually ballsy or obtuse criminal to have stuck his or her neck out at the start of the vote to oppose her lynching. An early criminal voter would have been better advised to sacrifice one of their own, than risk standing out.

Towards the end of the vote, though, it would have looked different. With the votes standing at 4 to 5, a vote to save an accomplice would no longer appear to be such a great risk. IF a BCS member voted to save Matilda, I think they would have done so late – at a point where it seemed that there was a real chance of saving her, without looking too conspicuous.

I was prepared to trust Vivian’s judgement about Melindra. But... if the policeman thinks Melindra is innocent, then Vivian must be mistaken. I don’t think she’s guilty, and I certainly wouldn’t want to lynch Vivian unless I were sure she was, because if she’s innocent, we need her brain. I take the point about Dalbhac being suspicious, and not wanting to split the vote, so I’d like to hear his defence – but he might have a perfectly plausible one, and if he does, I’d be stuck for someone to vote out. Of all the others, I think that Andrew Thomas has the most explaining to do.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim came for the evening, 8 to 6 at the co-op and then lots of dumb questions from kids, a volunteers life could be painful. Still he was home now.
He still felt slightly abashed about suspecting Hugh and Vivian, once Kate's activities were revealed he felt only a conservationist could claim such certainty..but the morning had prooved otherwise...
Still now was his turn as a pack member following Hugh's lead, though rather cautiously.

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Please accept my apologies, but I've had a mildly crazy afternoon.

The village shall now move to a vote. There are five options:
  1. Lynch Melindra Tallston, as nominated by Vivian Rudge,
  2. lynch Vivian Rudge, as nominated by Melindra Tallston,
  3. lynch Dalbhac Nuabha, as nominated by Bo Langton,
  4. lynch Andrew Thomas, as nominated by Alison Eliab,
  5. or no lynching.
Please cast your votes now.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Dalbhac Nuabha.

(I can't even say it, let alone spell it - but you know who I mean). His comment on painting The Night Watch leads me to believe he intends to do some harm if he can.

[ 19. March 2010, 03:25: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Having been celebrating his newly found painting eureka moment (and St Paddy's Day) Dalbhac was slightly miffed to find himself accused in his absence. He had stupidly missed an opportunity to call out Bo - that same wretched woman who couldn't even pronounce his name properly. Anyway, the moment had passed and now he was being asked to make a different decision. Any inaction could mean the killers would get the upper hand, but Dalbhac didn't want to kill an innocent either. With some reluctance he nominates Melindra Tallston

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Alison turns a wearied face back to her notebook. The jottings made this morning swim incomprehensibly in front of her eyes, and she shakes her and fumbles in her purse for a couple of caffeine pills, washed down with a generous measure of vodka. Cheap supermarket vodka - Alison can drink, and appreciate, the good stuff when a social role demands it, but right now she needs a raw alcoholic fix to jolt the brain and settle the nerves.

"I need to get that damned trial out of my mind..." she mutters, and tries to concentrate on the murders...

[ 19. March 2010, 10:32: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

It would help if people at least tried to offer a defence. Nothing's more useful, in trying to read people than knowing what they thinking or what they want the rest of us to think. The more the murderer(s) have to do that, the greater the chance is of them making mistakes.

If I'd known that Dalbhac wasn't going to offer much by way of explanation, I wouldn't have nominated Andrew. But I didn't know that, and I have, so it's time to make a choice.

I can't shake the thought that Andrew's vote is timed in a much more suspicious way. It would be more natural for a criminal to vote when Andrew did than when Dalbhac did. Against that, my reading of Andrew is that, while very bright, he can be inattentive. I can easily imagine him missing the point of Hugh's revelation, despite it being pretty obvious to me, to Vivian, and probably to lots of others. It would surprise me a bit, but not that much.

Dalbhac seems a more careful person to me, and as an artist he ought to have an eye for detail. It would surprise me a lot if he genuinely missed the proof of Matilda's guilt, or (apparently) of Mellindra's innocence. And yet, to make the first vote for someone not Matilda was a hell of a risk, if Dalbhac is guilty. Quite possibly, no one might have followed his lead (save the murderer herself) and he would have looked horribly exposed. But he probably is reckless enough to take that chance.

I'd like to have heard a full defence from both. Either might be a murderer. Or not. On balance, I don't think that my reason for picking Andrew as a plausible second choice if Dalbhac made a credible defence is strong enough to make me vote for him in the absence of any real defence. Dalbhac.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

"Given my inherent distrust of pretentious, pseudo-art, my suspicion of Dalbhac overtakes my uncertainty about Vivian. After all, I can't fault Ms. Rudge for trying to keep her operating costs down as she tries to make her business succeed."

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

There are wheels within wheels in this village; and fires within fires!

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Since I am clearly wrong about Melindra (although the fact that the town's policeman thought her worthy of investigation means that I don't feel like a complete imbecile), Dalbhac.

Who apart from anything else, has just voted for a known innocent. Which means that if he isn't guilty, he certainly isn't very bright, so I vote for keeping the brains alive [Two face]

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Jim reflected that the difference between a cunning plan and innocence looked insignificant till too late.
In the case of the '2nd detective' he would have to risk assuming that wasn't a cunning plan. If it wasn't, tomorrow would be too late to follow his advice.
That ruled one nomination out, another (though a self admitted expert manipulator) was supporting the detective.

That left Andrew and Dalbhac, unfortunately following Vivians argument, neither an attentive villager or (at 1st bluff) mafia would vote for an innocent, making it very likely he was a naif villager, (mafia having an advantage in knowing what's really going on wouldn't be so easily confused). Yet he knew nothing about Andrew was he an innocent and more aware civilian.

After neatly filling in the voting form with name, age, and address he came to the box. He go out a coin put it back and decided to come back to it later...

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Distracted by the decision Jim went to the pub.
A few drinks and the drunken conversation meant that writing Dabla/BaldhaDalbhacHadbal was almost no problem emotionally at least.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Dalbhac, you just want us to kill Mellindra because you don't want to die. Couldn't you have at least given us a good reason to kill her? I see none, but I <i>am</i> a mostly blind old woman, so maybe that doesn't say much. Still, I ain't bothering to vote for that one.

Similarly, Andrew's vote timing doesn't mean much to me. Maybe he had other things to do so he voted when he needed to.

Vivian is just a revenge vote as far as I can see it. No one's told me why to vote for her really besides that Mellindra doesn't want to get her 'ead lopped off. Well, me neither, but that's no reason.

That leaves Dalbhac. Not so sure I think he's guilty either, but we should lynch someone. I missed the last one, after all! Let's use those gallows near by, because they're already half-made. That and I really want to see someone croak.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016