homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Hymns of Babel (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Hymns of Babel
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lord said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
Genesis 11:6-7, NIV.

So, once this had happened, what were they singing in Babel? Here's how to find out.

Pick a hymn. Preferably a reasonably well-known one, or the game will be impossible. [Snigger] Type the first verse into Google Translate (the "translate text" box). Delete all punctuation. Delete any proper nouns (people or places), but leave any Jesuses, Gods, Christs, etc.

Then translate the text from English into another language of your choice. And from that to another (easiest to copy and paste the translated text back into the box). And from that to another. Repeat as many times as you like until you are satisfied that "Shine, Jesus, Shine" is equally as irritating in Latvian.

Once it's been through at least three languages, translate back into English. Copy and paste here. Players try to identify what the original hymn was, first correct answer posts the next one.

A couple of examples to get the idea:

The family has risen conquering son of Glory is a never-ending victory o'er death hast thou to win the light angel rolled the stone away to keep clothes folded clothes to the grave where the body of your son is the glory risen conquering thousands are endless with victory o'er death, you've won
Thine Be The Glory via Maltese, Indonesian and Estonian

It is in the light of love, the darkness is our true glory of Jesus shining in the arson fire my spirit shining light of Jesus shining in the world that are open Kio Migaku bring shine with their parents during a fire of flood flow to the country grace and mercy, our hearts glow fill the earth, light, send the word of God
This is Shine, Jesus, Shine via Catalan, Chinese and Bulgarian

If no-one gets it after 24 hours, a clue can be given by the setter (a date, metre, composer, usage, etc)

Any questions? An easyish one start us off:

Thousands of my vision of God in my heart all for nothing for me to save thousands of the best thought of thousands of art during the day and night, waking and sleep in my presence my light

(via Greek, Lithuanian and Swedish)

[ 29. July 2010, 18:42: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has to be "Be Thou My Vision," one of my favorites.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
via Slovak, Hindi, Italian:

Immortal, invisible God, the wise
Inaccessible to our eyes the light of the skin
Most, most, the great old days of the blessed
Almighty, victorious, your name great praise.

(too easy, but it's amazing how accurate it is through three such different languages!)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hennah -- was I correct? If so, am I next?]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, absolutely, please do!

(and seeing as Angel Wrestler's was easy!)

It seems to make it a bit more scrambled if you take it through a language that doesn't use Western characters... chinese, hebrew, greek, etc...

--------------------

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Via Turkish, Catalan, and Greek:

A world of love for the divine love in heaven sevinci outside. We all faithful mercy crown Edit moderate housing.

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it from Charles Wesley’s Love Divine, All Loves Excelling?
Posts: 197 | From: Indianny | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Yes! (And when sung to Hyfrydol, my favorite hymn.)

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A most wonderful hymn it is, Mamacita. And now here’s another, via Czech, Chinese, Croatian, and Catalan:

Shangri-La [proper name] praise Dell
Reign in my disc;
This eternal opportunities
We love Dell;
Lord, I am a great
Shangri-La land and every letter, Virginia, El Salvador cell confesses:
Arc and bless the name of
centuries Beneit pixels.

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Any guesses?

(Hint: Both the text and the tune found their inspiration in another, non-Christian hymn.)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God Bless America?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

Is the first word of the original "heaven"?

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

No, it’s not God Bless America, nor is the word heaven in the first line, though it does come later in the verse.

Another hint: Though Hebrew’s not one of the languages I ran it through, that IS the language of the earlier hymn that serves as a basis for this one.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've got us all stumped. Please, what translate as Shangri-La and Dell?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Dell is, in some strange world, equivalent to God. (Effective marketing, perhaps?)

I’m puzzled myself about where Shangri-La came from. The same goes for the cryptic references to Virginia and El Salvador. They don’t seem to translate back to anything directly, at least.

And if I clue you in to the omitted proper name, I think you’ll be well on your way to figuring out the puzzle. It's Abraham.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be 'The God of Abraham praise'?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

You’ve got it!
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK then, my turn. This is trickier than I thought (to make it hard to solve) - I've gone via 4 languages (hindi, hungarian, maltese, arabic) and I think its still rather an easy one! No shangri-la here I'm afraid!

Oh, my God, this is the foundation of your holy Excellent word of faith, which is planned More than that can tell you what Shelter you Jesus, for he had

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Is anyone waiting for a clue, as 24 hours have passed, or is there just nobody following this now?!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

We're following -- it's just so gosh darn HARD! Yes, a clue, please.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Wait a minute . . . is it "How Firm a Foundation"?

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Yes, that's it. Over to you.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

just an aside, after reading up the thread in more detail, what a fantastically quirky translation came out of 'Love Divine' - the line 'fix in us thy humble dwelling' ended up as 'edit moderate housing'....isn't that just brilliant? [Biased]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Walking around the green hills of England after an hour old, I saw England's pleasant and personable Holy Lamb of God.

English > Hungarian > Japanese > Hebrew > English

[I think Google Translation is getting better as a result of our taxing it with this game.]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that can only be Jerusalem.

And did those feet in ancient time, walk upon England's mountain green. And was the Holy Lamb of God on England's pleasant pasture seen.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Assuming I was right... next one:

During the night of doubt and pain.
I think the country during the last pilgrimage group to allow expected to sing a song

[that went English-Estonian-Bulgarian-Thai-Lithuanian-Hindi-Dutch-English, because I could!]

[ 03. August 2009, 15:03: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Through the night of doubt and sorrow
Onward goes the pilgrim band,
Singing songs of expectation,
Marching to the promised land.

Perhaps?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Indeedy. So you get to set the next one.

[ 03. August 2009, 15:37: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He said that the soul of a great God!
A voice of the soul to allow the blessings of the Id is

By way of Dutch,Chinese,Indonesian,Galician and Hindi.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Interestingly, going back the other way gave me:

He said that the soul is a great God!
The identity of the voice, the spirit of Berka

which is just as unhelpful!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to regret this but

I think it is:
Tell out my soul by Timothy Dudley-Smith

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Assuming I was right

Yes, you were right, but my pronouncement doesn't seem to have mattered.

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
the spirit of Berka

I'm going to invoke the spirit of Berka. She sounds like fun. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I am going to regret this but

I think it is:
Tell out my soul by Timothy Dudley-Smith

Jengie

Yes it is! Well done - I'm not sure I'd've got it!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one is through English-Spanish-Arabic-German-Thai - Ukraine and back to English.

The first two lines are:
quote:

I said that I do not want to sponsor.
He makes me lie down.

I will keep the next two lines incase of difficulty.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to interrupt, but Google does splendid things when translating Mozarabic Compline from Spanish into English from the website 'La Ermita'. How's this for an incoherent anthem?

A CRT of God, remember that you received the sacred dew on the source and the bathroom, you're marked by the anointing. When, calling you to sleep, go to your chaste bed, make the sign of the cross check your forehead and place of your heart.
L cross to fend off any lack of cross fleeing the darkness, a soul devoted to such a sign never goes off the track. Lejos of here, oh far!, Monstrosities of erratic dreams! Far from here on the stubborn impostor cunning!
Oh twisted serpent that meanders through a thousand and winding regret cheating hearts at ease, Márchate, Christ is here! Here is Christ, esfúmate! The signal that it condemns know your hordes.
P or more than the exhausted body yazga reclined only a short while, however the same dream we believe in Christ.

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I said that I do not want to sponsor.
He makes me lie down.

It must be 'The Lord's my shepherd', mustn't it?

[ 04. August 2009, 11:04: Message edited by: Oferyas ]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

It is.

Your go.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

Google is just too good to be fun these days, but here is a fairly opaque last verse from English via Filippino and Indonesian...

Love
And a series with the angels
Lord of heaven and earth,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Any thoughts?

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't fit line per line, but is it, "Holy, Holy, Holy?"

--------------------
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

“Praise God, from Whom All Blessing Flow,” perhaps?
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

Clue: they tried to dig up the author of this hymn recently, but couldn't find anything worth having....
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

And I did say it's the last verse.....
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
It doesn't fit line per line, but is it, "Holy, Holy, Holy?"

The last verse was what I was guessing for in Holy Holy Holy. "All thy works shall praise thy name on earth and sky and sea ..." then the last line, "God in three persons, blessed trinity."

But ... I have no clue. Who did they try to dig up???

--------------------
(unknown)

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be John Henry Newman's "Firmly I believe and truly"?

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

Yes it is - congratulations!

They tried to exhume Newman to move him to the Oxford Oratory, but he had apparently crumbled to nothing.

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Oferyas! Would you be willing to choose someone else to carry on the game, though? I can't seem to get my computer to manage the google translators properly--it fails to copy the various languages that are written from right to left.

Don't know what's wrong.... [Confused]

Mary

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

A volunteer would be better, especially as I don't know who is still playing - somebody may have gone off to get a cup of tea, or, given the speed of this game, even maybe to get a life....!

Any lurkers who haven't had a go yet?

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

All right, then. Miss Amanda is back in.

Our ancestors, the lines, fire and Geomedia and my God, how high, the heart of our faith and life with joy when the click tribute!

English > Czech > Korean > Bulgarian > Turkish > Galician > Vietnamese > English

--------------------

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Could it be John Henry Newman's "Firmly I believe and truly"?

Never heard of it.

I think Ms. Amanda's is "Faith of Our Fathers"

--------------------
(unknown)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016