homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Hymns of Babel (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Hymns of Babel
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nor me!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never heard of it either, but I guess I'm getting better at formulating Google searches.

Anyway, here's one that got mangled pretty well although I think it is still recognizable:

O Lord my heart, oh my perspective,
And for all that I can save you
Day or night, I felt better
Or before you light my sleep.

English > Hindi > Indonesian > Swahili > English

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Nor me!

Can I come in as third.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Nor me!

Can I come in as third.

Am I literally the ONLY person who's ever heard "I Will Early Seek the Savior?" I knew it wasn't a Greatest Hit or anything, but I didn't think it was that obscure.

About Amanda's, I have no clue.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda, is it "Be Thou My Vision?"

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, you've got it, Mamacita.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huzzah! That was my second-favorite hymn.

New entry:
How the basic, God Play Sage, the company has put its faith in the good words.
He says you can call it manually, but protection for Jesus have fled?

English> Hindi> Icelandic> Indonesian> Vietnamese> German> Swahili> English

(and still pretty recognizable in spite of all that!)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How Firm a Foundation?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Correct.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English - Romanian - Czech - Chinese - Swedish - Korean - English

Great God, to participate in the songs of Zion
Sources in the joy of existence,
During the day to follow up on the site
In addition to the 1001 Happiness

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I have no idea, but the last half sounds like it's from a fortune cookie.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

O for a thousand tongues?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Nope. Concentrate on the first line to solve it.

The last line is hilarious -- right up to the Korean it had 1000. The Korean changed it to 1001.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it may be an Isaac Watts hymn I had never heard of until 2 minutes ago, when I did a Google search based on your hint:

Great God! Attend, while Zion sings
The joy that from Thy presence springs;
To spend one day with Thee on earth
Exceeds a thousand days of mirth.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A thousand and one happinesses certainly do exceed a mere thousand mirths [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You got it, BT. Take it away!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Try this - not hard, I think:

How sweet the sound of Jesus
Believe their ears!
Release pain, wound around,
And the issue.

English - Romanian – Filipino – Icelandic – Greek – German – Irish – Hindi – Latvian - English

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

How about --
quote:
How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
in a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
and drives away his fear.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

What took you so long?!!! Quite correct.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Just lucky, I guess. [Razz] I think this one will go quickly as well:

In the winter, when all the birds to fly, God of heaven and earth, sending an angel choir, instead of God.

eta: English - Hindi - Czech - Catalan - Chinese - Dutch - English

[ 11. December 2009, 17:41: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this one - but I'm about to disappear for the weekend so I will let someone else answer!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

'Twas in the moon of wintertime when all the birds had fled
That mighty Gitchi Manitou sent angel choirs instead;
Before their light the stars grew dim and wandering hunters heard the hymn:
Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born, in excelsis gloria.

(The Huron Carol -- very lovely!)

[ 11. December 2009, 18:58: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Miss Amanda has it. (I used "God the Lord of heaven and earth" as in TEC's hymnal instead of Gitchi Manitou -- which, in retrospect, I should have used to see what the translator would do with it!)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

While we're onto semi-obscure Christmas carols: This one will be obvious to those who know it. I had to take a few liberties with the translation to make it less so.

When snow Bloom Bloom
When the winter night child was born,
Christmas came up,
King of love and beauty.
Angela sang, shepherds sang
Country fun dead;
And their stars happy birthday
Was their exultation.

English > Vietnamese > Yiddish > Slovenian > Bulgarian > Hebrew > Hindi > English

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Is that "When blossoms flowered amid the snow" (official title I think is Jesu Bambino or something like that)?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

There ya go. I knew you'd know it! (Although I don't know for the life of me how "Country fun dead" translates "The grateful earth rejoiced."

[ 12. December 2009, 12:43: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Wow! Must run to a meeting (why do churches always have Saturday a.m. meetings? oh, well, I called this one, so I'd better go) and will post one a bit later today.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

My school choir used to open our Christmas concert with this one every year, sung a capella from the back of the theatre.

Short breaks, ř sky a beautiful morning, and. Library of shepherds, angels fear that I heard the alarm is reduced

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I'm sure you surprised the dickens out of your audiences, unless the program also included the translation:

Break forth, O beauteous heavenly light,
and usher in the morning;
O shepherds, shrink not with affright,
but hear the angel's warning.
This child, now weak in infancy,
our confidence and joy shall be,
the power of Satan breaking,
our peace eternal making.

(?)

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

[Big Grin] Yes, indeed.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

This one may be a little obscure:

Pure virgin, the prophets announced.
If Savior, and now we're here.
Death, hell and sin, our savior.
Adam, what about our sins?
Then we should be satisfied.
Tell us to give our day the sad side.
Jesus was born nine weeks.

English > Slovenian > Korean > Malay > Yiddish > Filipino > English

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Not at all:

A virgin most pure, as the prophets do tell,
Hath brought forth a Baby, as it hath befell,
To be our Redeemer from death, hell and sin,
Which Adam’s transgression has wrappčd us in.
And therefore be merry, set sorrow aside;
Christ Jesus our Saviour was born on this tide.

And I even know the tune!

[ 13. December 2009, 14:23: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Dear me, that was quick! Good show! It wasn't as obscure as I thought.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

This is far too obvious - but fun!

Adam ybounden,
Holy marriage;
Four thousand winter
Think that not too long.
And they were all on apples,
Apple, on,
Register as an official found
Book.

English – Latvian – Indonesian - German – Hindi – Czech - English

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Adam lay ybounden,
Bounden in a bond;
Four thousand winter
Thought he not too long.
And all was for an apple,
An apple that he took,
As clerkës finden written
In their book

Google translate does not cope well with archaic English. I tend to modernise the wording in such cases.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yes, but it was fun!
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Jengie, where are you? We can't hold our breath that long!
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Sorry got over involved in doing the Advent Wreath:

quote:

Midnight is clear
and well known songs
from the old gold angels
with harps points near the surface of contact "Peace on earth goodwill to the people of heaven
to all your friends put up the king!"
In celebration of the world
is listening chanadh Angels

English -> Swahili-> Chinese-> Irish -> Macedonian -> Thai -> Bulgarian -> English.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

It came upon a midnight clear

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes it is. Over to you.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Father, we recommend that you, the night is over,
Positive and accurate, we are all set before you;
Singing our paidir and meditation can provide:
Therefore, we worship you.

English > Persian > Filipino > Irish > Chinese > English

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

How's about
quote:
Father, we praise thee, now the night is over,
active and watchful, stand we all before thee;
singing we offer prayer and meditation:
thus we adore thee.

(what the heck's a "paidir"?)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
(what the heck's a "paidir"?)

Beats the dickens out of me as well as the Google Translator programmers -- but I'll bet it involves money.

You're right, of course -- over to you.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Here we go:

Ignore the noise in the forest.
Desert Road in the preparation
of highway for our God.

eta: English - Japanese - Swahili - Icelandic - Russian - Thai - Galician - English

[ 15. December 2009, 21:07: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Another Research one

I would suggest it is either
quote:

There’s a voice in the wilderness crying,
A call from the ways untrod:
Prepare in the desert a highway,
A highway for our God!
The valleys shall be exalted,
The lofty hills brought low;
Make straight all the crooked places,
Where the Lord our God may go!

or less likely another hymn based on the passage which I cannot find the text to, so cannot check for likeness

There's a voice in the wilderness crying which I found reference to here

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I tried back-translating and came up with:

Hawapendi voice of the forest.
Desert road to prepare.
From the highway to our God.

Very mysterious - and no use!

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Jengie Jon has it! Well done, pursuing the "Advent hymns" theme!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

When I research I look for a theme then have sort of sub-themes (more accurately a guess at what they might partially translate to) for most lines. If two of the sub-themes match the lines I go with the hymn. It really works only if I can get the big theme about right.

So here is the new one that sounds quite morbid:
quote:

This game a long time in the dark
Waiting to see a great light,
People who live in these days,
Who lived in the region died during the night.

English -> Dutch -> Italian -> Chinese -> Swahili -> Hindi -> Catalan -> Bulgarian -> English.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Still in Advent, I see:

The race that long in darkness pined
have seen a glorious light;
the people dwell in day, who dwelt
in death's surrounding night.

It's in "Rejoice & Sing".

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes it is, but its use is wider than that, as it comes from Scottish Paraphrases 1781 by John Morison which also means I think it must have been the third of the Christmas Carols allowed in the Canadian hymnbook Sober Preacher's Kid mentioned.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016