homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Hymns of Babel (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Hymns of Babel
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK have a go at this one

Ladies and full Man and the Spirit of God That's right consistency Who is God Eternal God A man's life Colin on smyrennosti I wash my feet

Not sure where Colin came from!

This was achieved via chinese, ukranian, korean, polish, hindi

[ 20. August 2009, 15:04: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time for a clue perhaps? This is a modern song by a well known British songwriter still alive. It is well known in evangelical churches, can't speak for the rest!

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Matt Redman involved?

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

No, it's by someone even better known than him.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Oh dear, didn't mean to kill off this game!

So time for what must be an obvious clue - it's by Graham Kendrick, its the first verse of a song, and the last word is actually correct (I mean 'feet' is the last word of the first verse in the original)

There, surely someone can get it now?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meekness and Majesty?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

You've got it!

ETA I don't really like the way that the title words seem to have ended up as 'ladies and full man'!!

[ 23. August 2009, 20:06: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only by the clue

Anyway here is one via English -> Catalan -> Chinese -> Hebrew -> Slovak -> English
quote:

Until today, I am there with a strong 31 by using the same three day, one of three

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Patrick's Breastplate?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes.

Sorry to be so late in replying, I kept forgetting to check this thread.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My God, people, wake up!
They made things easier.
Keep in mind, the heart and soul and strength
King of Kings roles.

English > Albanian > Korean > Hebrew > Estonian > English

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It must be "Rise Up, O Men of God."
Posts: 197 | From: Indianny | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Oh, you're just too good for me! Yes. Your turn.

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one’s a little trickier, since I’ve only included the refrain, via Spanish, Malay, and Croatian:

On water, on water,
He ran his hand;
His faithful followers will
He led by the hand.
City of God.

(Is it just me, but has Google Translations added several languages since we began? I don’t remember Maltese being an option before. Or Welsh.)

[ 25. August 2009, 18:02: Message edited by: Seelenbräutigam ]

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

He leadeth me?

(not too sure about this though, as I ran it with the same languages and it didn't come out exactly the same as your quote)

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Perhaps I mistyped something...or maybe the translator is just being capricious. In any case, you’ve got it!
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

OK hopefully this one will be a little easier than the last one I set. It was achieved via maltese, chinese, persian, yiddish, afrikaans

For all ncurses that the track in March 3 as a result of the approval letter for the world Jesus your name, always favor Alleloia alleloia

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

For all the saints (a/k/a Sine Nomine)?

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Yes, that's the one

(Which reminds me I don't think I've seen any posts from our Sine Nomine lately - is he still around or do I frequent different decks of the Ship?)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Dunno -- he's missed at any rate.

OK, here's another easy one:

Night recently, sleep, eat, and then, very beautiful,
I was standing outside the old church in Jerusalem.
I hear children singing, and sometimes
I think of the voice from heaven, and the envoy called Menanggapi.

English > Irish > Czech > Icelandic > Chinese > Malay > Greek > Arabic > English

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

That's got to be The Holy City (what on earth is Menanggapi though? [Confused] )

[ 28. August 2009, 10:09: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Yes, it's the Holy City. Your turn.

Menanggapi seems to be one of those words that didn't get translated early in the game and got dragged along from language to language.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

I'm going to be mostly away from a computer for the next few days, so perhaps somebody else would like to take my turn.

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one:

A better world, and the existence of God. Granted the King of the soil.

That is English, Chinese (Sim.), Persian, Chinese (Trad.), Turkish, and Arabic back to English.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the first line of one of my favorite Christmas Carols. I liked the first time I ran it through better. The first word came out Well-being. But I didn't write down the sequence of languages.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Joy to the world, the Lord is come?

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

Yes, that's it.

--------------------
~Elder Sophrony

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

OK. So to continue on our Christmas carol roll:

Welcome! Salad of your sleepiness
And your stupid complicated sheep.
Angels sing around Heav'n.
News brought a lot of joy.
Welcome! Chorus and swelling!

(Minus the last line of verse 1, which would give it away if it isn't already given away.)

English > Croatian > Afrikaans > Thai > Danish > Russian > English

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Shepherds, shake off your drowsy sleep"

I wonder how the sheep got so complicated?

[ 30. August 2009, 00:03: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I wondered myself how "Shepherds" turned into "Welcome". I forget which language that occurred in. At any rate, yes, that's it.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God loves all of the good earth in the autumn sky with joy. A modest house, repair, crown the mercy of all believers!

English-Albanian-Korean-Bulgarian-Chinese-English

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Is it Charles Wesley’s Love Divine, All Loves Excelling? [Smile]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yep!

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

I’ve got another, then (And I promise it’s not "The God of Abraham Praise.")

The bridge of me, my soul, joy,
Left miserable persistent sadness,
In phototherapy,
You're not satisfied with the praise
In the infinite grace
The seminar is no justification for the strange
The first is the rule from heaven,
But you live together, he knows.

Via Polish, Greek, Welsh, Chinese, and French.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

How's about a clue?

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Hmm… the hymn has makes several references to the Song of Songs, so the last line as translated isn’t that far off at all. Maybe even a bit toned down. Not sure if it’s really to be classified as a Jesus-is-my-boyfriend song, though.
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

I’ll clarify the last hint a bit. The most prominent Scripture references for the hymn come from Isaiah 61 and from Song of Songs 5.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Nope. I'll pass this round. I know nothing of these modern praise songs, nor do I care to.

"Give me that old time religion, it's good enough for me! (It was good for my old granny . . . .)"

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Oh no, it’s solidly 17th century…
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

Oh dear... It’s solidly 17th century, from Johann Frank and Johann Crüger, who also put out this other well-known hymn.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

[Miss Amanda, her face as red as a beet, silently slinks into the darkest corner she can find.] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Soul Adorn Thyself with Gladness

I cheated.

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

You’ve got it, in any case. Soul, Adorn Thyself with Gladness/Deck Thyself, O Soul, With Gladness. Take it away!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Big your God, Oh, Daddy's rich
Put the end of the shadow
Please do not fail, do not change the sympathetic
You will always like you do

English > Chinese > Korean > Japanese > Chinese > Korean > English

(I make it a point to try translating into English at each stage to see if it's as nicely mangled as I'd like -- at one point along the way the second line was "Put a horse's shadow")

--------------------

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Daddy's rich" bit has me humming "Summertime"... which now won't go out of my head...

Will try and think of something else!

Hen [Smile]

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's "Great is thy Faithfulness", isn't it ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yes, Wet Kipper!

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
someone else can take the next go.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

[Miss Amanda crawls out from her corner and puts on a brave face.]

Permanent century, open for me,
Should we hold;
Allow the water and blood,
On the one hand, and Öskju its progress;
Medical men of sin;
Rescue board and make me clean.

English > Galician > Yiddish > Icelandic > Czech > English

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

That has to be Rock of Ages?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016