homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Hymns of Babel (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Hymns of Babel
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, indeed, it is.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello God, we submit this
The control of the same master, held in
A talent for life as a gift
The strong men broke all

English > Korean > Irish > Catalan > English

(Note to add: I would never in a million years use this program to translate something I wanted to tell somebody from Korea!)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A mighty fortress? (A poor guess, I know.)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O God our help in ages past?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not yet!

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take My Life and Let It Be?

(Another very uncertain guess.)

Posts: 197 | From: Indianny | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Oh dear, maybe this one isn't as well known as I had thought! Ah. I see it's a little new, as these things go: it has a copyright of 1972. So here's a clue: words and music by Bryan J Leech.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the clue and the text above maybe
"We gathered here in Jesus Name"

Which is not one I have ever sung. Actually I cannot find any I have sung by that author.

Jengie

[ 06. September 2009, 18:29: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

[Is it one that we should recognize? At the risk of embarrassing myself again, I have to say I don't have the foggiest notion.]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I don't know if you should recognize it; it was one of my favourites back in the day. But even Googling Bryan Leech I can't find it! Therefore I must conclude it's more obscure than I thought. It's "Let God Be God" and the first stanza goes like this:

Let God be God in this our present moment
Let God be master holding in control
All parts of life as gifts of his bestowment
For making men now broken strong and whole

Has a great, rollicking melody.

Somebody else pick one.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Never heard of it. I never would have guessed.

All right. Here's an easy one. Although I confess that I didn't include one word that didn't translate and that would give it away instantly.

City luck! Happy!
Your life is in the name of peace!
Neck region of the sky,
I was living in stone.
Her knitting is decorated with angels
Wait! This priest is a Hall of Fame.

English > Indonesian > Icelandic > Albanian > Vietnamese > Croatian > Korean > English

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
City of God, how broad and far?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

No.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blessed city, heavenly Salem?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Ah, yes, that's the one. Otherwise known as Yes I'm sitting, happy sailor.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

[Big Grin] If you hadn't posted that link, Miss Amanda, I would have! Next up:

Okay, you're a source of additional length,
Sing for my friends in the heart;
Pity pot, without interruption
Call songs sound recommendation.

English-->Russian-->Swahili-->Filipino-->Greek-->Irish-->Hindi-->English (Guess I got a little carried away...)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Come thou fount of every blessing?

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Yes!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Accepted all the voice and songs
To earth and heaven ring,
Harmony and freedom ring.
We increase the happiness
Listening to the sky
It is like the ocean rolling crying out loud,
Come on, it has spread.

English > Korean > Danish > Hindi > Serbian > English

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alleluia, sing to Jesus?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

- Posted      Profile for Seelenbräutigam   Email Seelenbräutigam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or is it “Lift Every Voice and Sing?”
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"Lift every voice and sing" it is!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Don't know that one. Where would I find it?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Google, baby, Google.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Well, I did, and got it, words and music. But this is a specifically American hymn, referring as it does to slave emancipation. OK, I know that Newton, who wrote Amazing Grace, was English, but this hymn would be practically unknown in the UK. Or am I wrong about that?

Seelenbraütigam, could I put in a plea for a hymn which might be recognised on this side of the pond? [Waterworks]

[ 08. September 2009, 22:36: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Sorry, I didn't know it wouldn't be known elsewhere. My fault -- my apologies.

--------------------

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

I’ll do my best, jacobsen. This one’s via Danish, Catalan, Malay, and Bulgarian.

One of them is above all others,
Immediately name fast friend;
His love more than you
Animal-free and have no end:
They show that welfare is
Search for an everlasting love!

Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

It looks like a hint is in order.

This hymn shares a lot in common with the above-mentioned Amazing Grace; it, too, made its appearance in 1779 in Olney Hymns.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the easiest one so far, I think! (I didn't need the clue, just haven't logged on today until now). The hymn is John Newton's 'One there is above all others'

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seelenbräutigam
Shipmate
# 12896

I didn’t think it was too scrambled either, which is why I’m releaved now that some one has got it. Your turn!
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If in the morning, the defense minister you my heart cries in heaven:
Christ the Lord!
Side work and prayer, Jesus restored

This was via Chinese, Catalan, Korean, Belarusian and Irish

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

When morning gilds the skies?

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Well done! Over to you...

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

OK. Here's another easy one -- so easy that I confess I altered it a little bit:

Soft, gentle Jesus phones,
Working for you and me.
See in an article that he is waiting
To see you and me.
Return to home.
Who are you, home tired.
Tender, large, Jesus phones,
Phone, O sinner, home!

English > Afrikaans > Icelandic > Swahili > Bulgarian > Hindi > Indonesian > Malay > English > "Amandaese"

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

That one looks like 'Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling' a hymn I haven't heard for YEARS, in fact I'd forgotten all about it until I saw your version!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone join in the fun? If so, what about:

Song from a man, a great name
Who was the son of God
Broken sinners to seek.

English - Hungarian - Persian - Afrikaans - Albanian - English but still not too difficult I think.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Can anyone join in the fun?

Yes, but it has to be "your turn." You earn a turn by correctly guessing the current hymn.

In this case, Gracious Rebel correctly guessed "Softly and Tenderly" and so it is Gracious Rebel's turn.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I see. Sorry - I'm new, you see. I do have a tendency to interrupt (says my other half).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Well I would happily let Baptist Trainfan take my go. But actually I think I have guessed his as well, so its probably soon going to be my go again anyway.....

I think the hymn is 'Man of Sorrows', a hymn very much associated in my mind with my Open Brethren roots (along with 'Thou art the everlasting word' - one or both of these two hymns seemed to be chosen most weeks in my remembered version of the Brethren 'morning meeting')

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Well, indeed you're right - although I think it's originally a "Moody & Sankey" song by Philip Bliss. Over to you ...
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

We used the Sankey book in the evening 'gospel meeting' at the Brethren shack, but I know Man of Sorrows from the morning meeting, where we used 'The Believers Hymn Book' (everyone had their own personal copy that they took with them; never come across this situation in any other place of worship)

Anyway, I'm digressing: I don't have time to set another hymn now as its nearly time for my clarinet lesson - so if someone else wants to take my turn that's fine by me.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

This is not too complicated.

English, Bulgarian, Danish, Filipino, Croatian, Maltese, English

Christ knows his sheep
everything will be kept safe
He never lost souls
We never fell
Or whate'er we promised our design goal

[ 11. September 2009, 16:32: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I should have thanked you, Gracious Rebel, for throwing this one open. [Smile]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Yes. I didn't want to do it in Gracious Rebel's name, but I was hoping it would come to pass.

The hymn, of course, is Christ who knows all his sheep will all in safety keep. Yes?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Absolutely. Care of Ancient and Modern Revised, known affectionately over here as AMR. It's my favourite Communion Anthem at the drop of a hat, when the choir has to cover an extra long queue for the altar.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Tradition. As I've said: "Gimme that old time religion, it's good enough for me!"

OK then:

Hot Jesus, reveal
Soldier of the Cross;
Improving quality banner government,
not win.
From success to success
soldier should result in
Each enemy effect.
Christ the Lord is true.

English > Icelandic > Hungarian > Bulgarian > Indonesian > Filipino > Swahili > Malay > English

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

I think I've got this one - is it 'Stand up stand up for Jesus'?

(Goodness knows where the 'hot Jesus' came from! [Eek!] )

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Yes, that's right. I don't remember at which point "hot Jesus" crept into it, but it took a long time to get rid of "Stand up, stand up". And I never did succeed in getting rid of "Soldier of the Cross."

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

OK try this one, via korean, danish, vietnamese, arabic
Oh, will not let me love you
The rest of my spiritual fatigue;
I owe it to your life
It is you are in the flow of water from 5 rich and would be the best

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Is it the Scottish hymn, "O love that wilt not let me go?"

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016