homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Eastern Catholic Church Liturgy (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Eastern Catholic Church Liturgy
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for that report Martin L.

I did wonder if there are differences or assimilation. Can you possibly point to an interior view of that church?

I thought the Eastern churches didnt really go in for sermons, but maybe found in the west they do.

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:
Originally posted by Eddy:
I know that the Orthodox have a big thing about beards for their ministers. Is this the same in the Catholic Eastern churches as well?

Are there any elements of Western Catholic tradition - e.g. the hymn, that have crept into the eastern Catholic ways or do they try to keep themselves pure>

The Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy that I attended last year (actually in a church under the authority of +Parma, mentioned in the previous post) had pews, and they also had a sermon right after the Gospel reading. I'm not sure if this is an unusual place or not for a sermon in an Eastern Rite liturgy, but for some reason I didn't expect one there. The pews were quite unexpected.
That's the proper place for a sermon if there is to be one, and is where it is usually found in the Greek church. However, the custom developed in the Slavic tradition of preaching near the end of the Liturgy, either during the communion of the clergy or after the communion of the people (after the Prayer Below the Ambo, to be specific). It is often said that this came about so that the people could still hear the sermon despite their excessive tardiness. How true this is, I don't know. At my parish, the sermon usually follows the Gospel.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In what sense,, Michael the 'proper place' - because thats where the books say it has to be, like the Missal does?

It would seem from what you are saying that in fact Eastern Catholics and Eastern orthodox may have agreement on this one. But it would be interesting to know if the Eastern Catholic churches ever put the sermon near the end.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
At my parish, the sermon usually follows the Gospel.

This is the case for every Orthodox church I've worshipped in.

Eddy, Greek O. churches in the US very often have pews, organs, and stained glass. Some have hymnals. These are all western accretions. As are dog collars and clean-shaven priests (in the Russian heritage churches, anyway).

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Ah! Thank you mousethief. I thought those accretions were maybe just Eastern Catholic.

I wonder though whether Eastern Orthodox churches have devotion to our Lady of Fatima? Here is an Eastern Catholic church with a Shrine to Our Lady of Fatima.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen an EO church with a devotion to any of the "Our Lady Of..." incarnations (so to speak) of the Virgin Mary. Not saying there can't be any; it's just outside of my experience. I'd look at EO churches in Mexico -- O.L. of Guadalupe is pretty big down there! Actually I don't know that. But she seems to be pretty up here with people of Mexican descent. You won't find a Mexican restaurant in this area that doesn't have an icon or painting of OLoG near the front door. I've seen some painted and fired tile images that were pretty impressive. I've also seen several icons -- or at least paintings -- of St Martin of Tours, although I don't know why.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the ROCOR cathedral in New York is Our Lady of the Sign, but that might be a paraphrase rather than a direct translation of the Russian. I don't know.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm still looking for an Our Lady of the Three Hands parish church or monastery. There must be one somewhere. Although it might have been destroyed by the atheists -- I mean Soviets -- during the Russian Revolution.

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Our Lady of Guadalupe is extremely big in Mexico and among Mexicans everywhere because she is the Patroness, Queen and Mother of all Mexicans and we are fiercely devoted to her. St. Martin of Tours pops up at Mexican restaurants because he is also very popular in Mexico and in Latin America in general. He is known as San Martín Caballero. The word caballero can mean knight , horseman , or gentleman and alludes to him having been in the Roman army. He is usually shown in a scene from a famous legend of his, a Roman soldier astride his horse and giving part of his cloak to a beggar, as in this painting by El Greco . A more typical painting on this page. Some people consider him a protector or patron of (and lucky for) businesses which is also why you might see him at a lot of restaurants.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too late to edit but that link to the El Greco doesn't work now. Anyways, just google El Greco and Martin of Tours and you'll see what I meant.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
He is usually shown in a scene from a famous legend of his, a Roman soldier astride his horse and giving part of his cloak to a beggar, as in this painting by El Greco .

Yes, that's how I knew it was him: I know that story from a book of saints. Thanks for the info! I'm afraid Americans know far too little about their immediate neighbours.

--------------------

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In what sense,, Michael the 'proper place' - because thats where the books say it has to be, like the Missal does?

Even in the 2nd century, according to St Justin Martyr (died about 165 AD), a typical Sunday eucharist had the sermon immediately after the readings. The shape of the eucharist in ca. 150AD is recognisably the same broad shape as it is 1,860 years later.

quote:
In his First Apology St Justin Martyr wrote:
On Sunday we have a common assembly of all our members, whether they live in the city or the outlying districts. The recollections of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as there is time. When the reader has finished, the president of the assembly speaks to us; he urges everyone to imitate the examples of virtue we have heard in the readings. Then we all stand up together and pray. (my emphasis).
Link

[replaced long URL text that was causing page format problems]

[ 11. May 2010, 11:46: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS: St Justin Martyr was not trying to introduce something new, he was describing the normal practice of the church in order to de-mystify the Church in the eyes of the Roman authorities. His "Sunday eucharist" was no innovation.

So this pattern of the eucharist probably goes back much further, making it extant either in the time of the Apostles, or at least their immediate successors and disciples (like St Polycarp, who as a young man knew St John the Apostle, and was still alive in the mid second century).

So, having the sermon straight after the readings is most likely either apostolic or "sub-apostolic" practice.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

My point about 'Our Lady of Fatima' Eastern Catholic church was not about 'Our Lady of...' titles in Eastern Orthodox churches, but more about 'Our Lady of...(a leading Western Catholic shrine)...'. I'd thought that it would be unusual to have say, a Greek Orthodox Church dedicated in honor of 'Our Lady of Lourdes.'

That then would be something Eastern Catholics may do but not Eastern Orthodox.

Such a dedication or shrine would bring with it a particular emphasis on Our Lady which may not be found in orthodoxy.

otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
I think the ROCOR cathedral in New York is Our Lady of the Sign, but that might be a paraphrase rather than a direct translation of the Russian. I don't know.

In Russian it is called The Mother of God of the Sign [Znamenia Bozhie Matere]. She is referred to frequently in the liturgy as Our Lady [Vladychitsa nasha]
Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a significant Eastern Catholic presence in the UK? (Apologies if this question has already been answered).

Slight tangent... someone mentioned Western-looking 'wedding cake' altars. Last Sunday I was in the Armenian Patriarchate church in Istanbul, which certainly had one. The whole church looked rather like a baroque-i-fied Wren church (think St Magnus the Martyr, with fewer statues). The Liturgy was seriously weird though (by Western standards: I'm not being disparaging) and interminable, so I left soon after what appeared to have been the Gospel. Otherwise I might have MWd it.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the Eastern Catholic calendar (and Eastern Orthodox calendar): I assume both keep Ascension as a feast day? On the proper Thursday after their Easter? Do either move it to a Sunday as is the fashion now among Roman Rite dioceses?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I can't speak for the Eastern Catholics. The Orthodox celebrate Ascension as one of the Twelve Great Feasts, 40 days (always a Thursday) after Easter. We don't move festivals to Sundays. The only moving to speak of gets done when the Annunciation (a fixed feast) falls on one of the moveable feasts/fasts of Lent or Holy Week or Pascha. And that's so complicated I'm content to let the bigwigs figure it out.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
My point about 'Our Lady of Fatima' Eastern Catholic church was not about 'Our Lady of...' titles in Eastern Orthodox churches, but more about 'Our Lady of...(a leading Western Catholic shrine)...'. I'd thought that it would be unusual to have say, a Greek Orthodox Church dedicated in honor of 'Our Lady of Lourdes.'

That's what I was referring to (hence my example of Guadalupe). I didn't even realize that the "Our Lady Of" wording was used with Orthodox churches.

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
The Liturgy was seriously weird though (by Western standards: I'm not being disparaging) and interminable, so I left soon after what appeared to have been the Gospel. Otherwise I might have MWd it.

See, this is just a bad witness. We already think you guys are spiritual lightweights. You just can't go around confirming our suspicions like this! [Razz] [Biased]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We already think you guys are spiritual lightweights.

True. 'Not high church, nor low church, but short church.' © +Mervyn Stockwood.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't speak for the Eastern Catholics. The Orthodox celebrate Ascension as one of the Twelve Great Feasts, 40 days (always a Thursday) after Easter. We don't move festivals to Sundays. The only moving to speak of gets done when the Annunciation (a fixed feast) falls on one of the moveable feasts/fasts of Lent or Holy Week or Pascha. And that's so complicated I'm content to let the bigwigs figure it out.

I thought that if 2 feasts fell on the same day (e.g. Annunciation and Easter) the Orthodox celebrated them both on the same day.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Mostly true. But if the Annunciation falls in Holy Week, especially Good Friday, all Hell breaks loose.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

The liturgy of the Eastern Catholic Church described here says the Eastern Catholic church uses:

quote:
the oldest liturgy in the Christian Church: the Liturgy of Saint James the Apostle, historically referred to as the Liturgy of Mar Mari and Mar Addai. It contains three different Canons which are utilised during the yearly calendar
Does this relate to Orthodox Eastern tradition as well?
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

Thank you for that clarification, Otyets Foma. I'm sure

quote:
Mostly true. But if the Annunciation falls in Holy Week, especially Good Friday, all Hell breaks loose.

There is a relatively new additional volume to The Order of Divine Services detailing how to construct the services for various Saints and feasts throughout the year in some considerable detail. For all of the days it includes that can possibly fall in the season of the Triodion or the Pentecostarion, this volume also gives the variations that would apply in each case. It really is meticulous. I note with a smile that any mention of the Annunciation is entirely absent from the book. I can only imagine that the compilers probably took one look at it and gave up before they even started. [Smile]

My memory suggests, though, that malik3000 is right about the Annunciation not being transferred (it coincided with Holy Saturday 2 or 3 yers ago and I have a translation of a very lovely reflection written by Fr Sergei Bulgakov for when it collides with Great Friday). The complexities come more from practical questions of how to combine it with the moveable observances.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Thats interesting Michael Astley but I've not got how it relates to Eastern Catholic Liturgy. Are you saying this is what eastern Catholics do as well.

The Italo - Albanian Catholic Church from what I can understand seems to be Eastern Catholic but is their a Italo-Albanian Orthodox church?
It seems from the article that this church is in Communion with the Holy Father, in many places uses the Western Missal and also allows married clergy.

This is where I red about it.

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

quote:
The liturgy of the Eastern Catholic Church described here says the Eastern Catholic church uses:

Eddy,
you linked to a church that is not an Eastern Catholic Church. That is, you haven't linked to a church in communion with the See of Rome. See here (my bold):
quote:
Throughout its long history, the Church has remained orthodox and patriarchal (in its worship, ecclesiastical form of government, polity, etc. not Papal (not under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church , the Patriarch of the West in Rome). This jurisdiction remains autocephalous (self-governing) to this day.

In 1902, the Metropolitan of India, with the encouragement of the Anglican Church missionaries from England, desired to bring this ancient church heritage into the west. A metropolitan was consecrated to do so. Through these efforts, in 1934, the Eastern Catholic Church came to these United States in the ministry of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Dr. Mar David of Edessa, O.H.S. (nee: Seine Durchlaucht, Prinz Stanislaus, Graf von Czernowitz). The present Metropolitan is His Beatitude, Metropolitan Dr. Mar Mikhael of Edessa, O.S.J. (Seine Durchlaucht, Fürst Heinrich XXVI Reuß).

Please point it out if I missed something but there doesn't appear to be any indication on that site that they are in communion with the Pope and all the other Eastern Catholic Churches.

The website has some information on their metropolitan here , and their metropolitan has a homepage here . Readers can judge for themselves, but don't take what is on those websites as reliable sources for information on Eastern Churches in communion with Rome.

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But, this Annunciation-Good Friday concurrence is one that all you New Calendarists will never see.

[ 08. May 2010, 23:57: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Donne saw it. But then he was on the old calendar, wasn't he?

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Greek catholic church in Italy has a long history (chiesa italo-greca) going back to settlers who came from the other side of the Adriatic to settle in the country and give it ultimately its name (Italy - which is connected to a Greek word referring to bovine creatures -just as one of the southern areas is called Calabria and one is able to see the influence of the word which in English has become 'calf')

There has always been the possibility for these communities to worship in the Byzantine rite which they would have brought with them over 1000 years ago.

The Italo Greek dioceses are immediately subject to the Holy See and are not subject to the disciplines of the Latin rite bishoprics. They are organized into three dioceses Grottaferrata ,Lungo Calabria and Piana degli Albanesi ( and yes in certain circumstances the priests are allowed to marry)

As well as these dioceses not of the Roman rite,there is the section of Northern Italy around Milan which uses the Ambrosian rite.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
( and yes in certain circumstances the priests are allowed to marry)

Do you mean that priests are allowed to marry? Or that married men may be made priests? It's not the same thing. In the Orthodox Church, married men can become priests, but priests are not allowed to marry.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

I don't really get it with this 'Greek Catholic Church in Italy'. Like the Eastern Catholic churches have an Orthodox parallel is the parallel of this one the Greek orthodox church or what? It cant be because dont the Greek Catholics have there own Patriarch - and Forthview says these ones relate direct to the Holy Father.

It seems v strange to me;

They are in Italy, they can use the Western rite, their priests can marry.

So can there be another RC church in a town using the Western rite but their priests can't marry.

How can the faithful tell them apart.

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

quote:
I don't really get it with this 'Greek Catholic Church in Italy'. Like the Eastern Catholic churches have an Orthodox parallel is the parallel of this one the Greek orthodox church or what?

Not every Eastern Catholic Church has an Eastern Orthodox counterpart. For example, the Maronites do not have an Eastern Orthodox counterpart.

Read this page about the Italo-Albanian Catholics

quote:
It cant be because dont the Greek Catholics have there own Patriarch
Not every Eastern Catholic church has it's own Patriarch. Some might be under a Metropolitan, for instance.

quote:
and Forthview says these ones relate direct to the Holy Father.
From the page I linked above:
quote:
Southern Italy and Sicily had a strong connection with Greece in antiquity and for many centuries there was a large Greek-speaking population there. In the early centuries of the Christian era, although most of the Christians were of the Byzantine tradition, the area was included in the Roman Patriarchate, and a gradual but incomplete process of latinization began.
quote:
It seems v strange to me;

They are in Italy, they can use the Western rite, their priests can marry.

So can there be another RC church in a town using the Western rite but their priests can't marry.

Read the page I linked to above.

quote:
How can the faithful tell them apart.
I imagine it's easy because those churches have been there for centuries. They'll hear Latin at one and Greek at the other.The local townfolk will know which one is the Latin church and which one is the Byzantine church.

You should really read this page and all the links on the right under "Table of Contents"

The Eastern Christian Churches - A Brief Survey

[Attempted to repair broken scroll lock. Mamacita, Host]

[ 10. May 2010, 17:27: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have thought that in England for example most people interested in these things would easily recognise the difference between a Methodist church and a Baptist church,for example.There are even those,I think, who can easily recognise the difference between a High Anglican church and a low Anglican church.

When I take Italians to a Church of Scotland they often ask me (that is of course those who are interested ) Che rito e ? (What rite is followed here ?) Even Italians not particularly interested in religion - the great majority - know that there are different rites which are used in the Church.

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
When I take Italians to a Church of Scotland they often ask me (that is of course those who are interested ) Che rito e ? (What rite is followed here ?) Even Italians not particularly interested in religion - the great majority - know that there are different rites which are used in the Church.

Sensible question.

The Kirk - certainly at places like St Giles, Edinburgh - seems to be much 'Higher', at least in regard to decoration, than it was in John Knox's time.

I wonder if the average Latin Catholic could get a handle on the bare simplicity of much Church of Scotland worship?

Of course they could understand it intellectually but I think they might feel it lacked emotional life, warmth and colour.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pancho , very many thanks for that link, which I have bookmarked. It is fascinating how many of these churches have survived over centuries of oppression - and in the case of the Syro-Malabari Church, isolation almost from the foundation.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
I wonder if the average Latin Catholic could get a handle on the bare simplicity of much Church of Scotland worship?

A Catholic Mass can be quite plain and simple, and in the case of Italy it very often is. I'm not sure about the liturgy at St. Giles, but if it follows a standard Western pattern I would anticipate that the average Italian tourist would find it quite familiar to a simple parish church in Italy, but quite more musically-appealing, and quite a bit longer!

My own Lutheran church has more elaborate liturgy than the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO. We end up singing offertory verses, and up until recently we almost always sang a post-communion canticle (such as Nunc Dimittis). It is also relatively rare for Lutheran churches to do the Psalm cheat--with the people only saying/singing a refrain. Typically we all participate in the verses in one way or another.

[ 12. May 2010, 18:20: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

I wouldn't call the responsorial psalm a "cheat". I believe that's how psalms were often sung in early centuries and why this was revived after Vatican II.

There's ceremony and ritual but there's also text and content. One service can be longer and have better and more elaborate music but at the same-time the prayers are broader and less specific about beliefs. Another service can be plain and without music but at the same time more definite and specific about beliefs.

It seems to me that in the Eastern Churches ceremonial and content go hand in hand while in the West they are not as tied together.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):

A Catholic Mass can be quite plain and simple, and in the case of Italy it very often is. I'm not sure about the liturgy at St. Giles, but if it follows a standard Western pattern I would anticipate that the average Italian tourist would find it quite familiar to a simple parish church in Italy, but quite more musically-appealing, and quite a bit longer!

My own Lutheran church has more elaborate liturgy than the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO. We end up singing offertory verses, and up until recently we almost always sang a post-communion canticle (such as Nunc Dimittis). It is also relatively rare for Lutheran churches to do the Psalm cheat--with the people only saying/singing a refrain. Typically we all participate in the verses in one way or another.

There are places like the Cathedral in Milan where they do a good Ambrosian Rite (the indigenous one).

Italians have feeling and a sense of drama. Scots, well middle class Edinburgh ones from places like Colinton & Morningside, tend to be somewhat 'emotionally restrained' (That's putting it politely! [Big Grin] ) and are very much into preaching (sometimes overlong).

Personally I have had no contact with Lutheran liturgy (I once knew a beautiful girl from Aachen, though, but this is definitely not the place [Big Grin] ).

Seriously, John Foster, a beloved and sadly departed university tutor, whose field was Modern German History, told me (bear in mind we are talking late 1960s/early 1970s here) that there was what he called 'a sort of High Church Lutheranism which was very much like Low Church Anglicanism). The traditional Low Church Anglicans (pretty much extinct in Oz & the US of A I believe) were into very measured ceremonial (a bit like German pietists).

Bear in mind we were traditionally an English culture with heavy Irish overtones. Our Lutherans were primarily of German origin. I think many in the USA were of Scandinavian descent. So you would know everything and I nothing of Lutheran worship in the USA and so am grateful for what you said.

I also suspect American Lutheranism, like American Anglicanism, has changed from that in its countries of origin.

American Methodism seems 'higher church' than Oz/British Uniting Church/Methodism.

--------------------
Well...

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

I went once to the High Kirk of St Giles in Edinburgh with an Italian friend.She said afterwards 'that was just like a Catholic Mass'
Of course there were for the 'conoscenti'many differences but the average Italian,even those who go to church regularly ,are not interested in liturgical minutiae.

St Giles and another Edinburgh church ,St Cuthbert's,for the good burghers of Colinton and
Morningside,are not typical church of Scotland 'kirks' but they are still part of the Church of Scotland.

I like St John's in Perth,cradle of the Reformation,where John Knox encouraged the parishioners to destroy all evidence of idolatry. It looks today in some ways,more Catholic than an average Catholic church.

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

Thanks for your elucidating comments, Forthview.

The Kirk seems to have moved more towards liturgy, ornamentation &c since the grand old days of John Knox & Jenny Geddes. [Big Grin]

Scottish comedians always have a field day with sending up the posh Colinton accent. It is, of course, only a small segment of Edinburgh society who speak this way.

My first Headmaster was a Scot educated at Glenlmond College in Perth. Most Scots & others in the know find it amazing that many Fettesians, OGs and similar speak with an accent which would be more appropriate in the Home Counties than Edinburgh or Perth and Kinross.

I rather like the Scottish Episcopal Church which combines being genuinely 'High' and sensibly progressive.

--------------------
Well...

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

Slight tangent... someone mentioned Western-looking 'wedding cake' altars. Last Sunday I was in the Armenian Patriarchate church in Istanbul, which certainly had one. The whole church looked rather like a baroque-i-fied Wren church (think St Magnus the Martyr, with fewer statues). The Liturgy was seriously weird though (by Western standards: I'm not being disparaging) and interminable, so I left soon after what appeared to have been the Gospel. Otherwise I might have MWd it.

The Armenians are an extremely proud and independent people who were the first nation to embrace Christianity (somewhere in the 4th Century AD/'CE').

They are Oriental Orthodox and also have a Catholic offshoot.

Because they broke with Constantinople very early their liturgy has developed a life of its own.

Fascinating people.

--------------------
Well...

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know if there has been a pope yet who could speak Syriac or Aramaic let alone use them liturgically.

I'd imagine there have been several. If you subscribe to the strange theory that Simon Peter was the first Pope you can start with him [Biased] Probably none for over 1500 years or so though.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And of course there is always Pope Shenouda, and his predecessors to consider. It's far too easy to forget the churches east of Rome...

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I have had the pleasure to read a book (Calmness) by HH Pope Shenouda III and it was fabulous. I'm admittedly no expert in holiness but this book gave me the impression that he is indeed a very holy man.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
I have had the pleasure to read a book (Calmness) by HH Pope Shenouda III and it was fabulous. I'm admittedly no expert in holiness but this book gave me the impression that he is indeed a very holy man.

Also an extremely brave one. Being the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch in Egypt would require guts.

--------------------
Well...

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

The Coptic church I understand isn't an official Orthodox church. Some of its teachings are different.

But then I read they use the same liturgy as the Greek orthodox, so maybe they ain't that different.

In the Coptic Catholic church are the teaching differences ironed out to make it more in line with the RCs?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
From the font of all knowledge and wisdom:
Despite the potentially confusing nomenclature (Oriental meaning eastern), Oriental Orthodox churches are distinct from those that are collectively referred to as the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Oriental Orthodox communion comprises six groups: Syriac Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eritrean Orthodox, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (India) and Armenian Apostolic churches.[2] These six churches, while being in communion with each other, are hierarchically independent.

quote:
From Encyclopedia Coptica:
There are three main Liturgies in the Coptic Church: The Liturgy according to Saint Basil, Bishop of Caesarea; The Liturgy according to Saint Gregory of Nazianzus, Bishop of Constantinople; and The Liturgy according to Saint Cyril I, the 24th Pope of the Coptic Church. The bulk of Saint Cyril's Liturgy is from the one that Saint Mark used (in Greek) in the first century. It was memorized by the Bishops and priests of the church till it was translated into the Coptic Language by Saint Cyril. Today, these three Liturgies, with some added sections (e.g. the intercessions), are still in use; the Liturgy of Saint Basil is the one most commonly used in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

The Orthodox primarily use the Liturgy of St John Chyrosostom, although we also use St Basil's Liturgy at certain points throughout the church year (most particularly throughout Lent).

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

It's interesting to note, though, just how very different are the liturgies that both communions of churches refer to as that of St Basil - they are barely recognisable as the same thing. It just goes to show how different what we know today - in both traditions - is from what would have been known to those immediately after St Basil, as these things have developed over 1700 years and no doubt been influenced by other rites and doctrinal questions along the way.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Eddy:

quote:
The Coptic church I understand isn't an official Orthodox church. Some of its teachings are different.
Read the link Pancho provided. It is a fascinating guide to churches outside the Western tradition.

You're right, Sir Pell, about Pope Shenouda's courage. He combines it with dedication to ecumenicism, and that would not be very popular with the Egyptian authorities - too open to the outside for them.

--------------------

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

In the case of the Eastern Catholic Churches (those in Communion with the Holy Father), do they use the same rites as their equivalent Orthodox or Oriental church.

So in that fascinating bit Mousethief quotes about the Coptic Orthodox church is the Eastern Catholic church using the same three liturgies in that way?

Churches, of cause, are not just about liturgy. I guess, but have no real knowledge on this, that the Eastern Catholics and eastern Orthodox may differ on some ethical or moral teaching, as I guess the Orthodox Church and the RC Church are not always eye to eye on these things.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016