homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Aiding the suffering in Gaza deligitimises Israel -- WTF? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Aiding the suffering in Gaza deligitimises Israel -- WTF?
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saul the Apostle:
I guess I am sensitive to the squeeze on Arab Christians both in the West Bank and Gaza. They are in a 'no win' situation and get squeezed by both sides, but they have a long and honourable history in that part of the world. The extreme Islamicists can be brutal to them and Israel is not their friend either.

Saul

Palestinian Christians were the largest segment of the population until the 20th century. During the last c. fifty years they have been marginalized by "both sides" to the point that emigration has reduced Christians to a mere fraction of their former numbers. At the present rate of emigration it won't be long before there are effectively no Christian Palestinians/Arabs left.

Even in Lebanon, which has been a Maronite Christian enclave surrounded by Islam, the Maronite population has fallen below half for the first time....

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Could be. I think if I said I only read American news sources about Israel I'd be flayed alive. YMMV.

Possibly the problem is American news then.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or other people's attitudes toward American news.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The American media is the most enormous and diverse in the world. It is an outcome of freedom of speech par excellence: all other national news arms pretend to freedom of speech by comparison. That doesn't mean that American News is perfectly candid. For while some smaller voices make a point of being completely free to say whatever they feel/believe, the BIG news orgs have their associated political biases. And those support either the DEMS or the GOP. But even so, these opposed news orgs are still targets of the more candid, truth-loving mass of smaller news sources. And the genius of American news gathering is that it is engaged in on the grassroots level. It is a hobby of millions to proudly demonstrate their open-mindedness, their skepticism, by not adhering to ONE news source: but rather to go after all that they can get, even especially non US sources for comparison.

To assert that US news is somehow a monolith of distortion and untruth is ludicrous....

Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MerlintheMad:
quote:
I guess I am sensitive to the squeeze on Arab Christians both in the West Bank and Gaza. They are in a 'no win' situation and get squeezed by both sides, but they have a long and honourable history in that part of the world. The extreme Islamicists can be brutal to them and Israel is not their friend either.

Saul

Palestinian Christians were the largest segment of the population until the 20th century. During the last c. fifty years they have been marginalized by "both sides" to the point that emigration has reduced Christians to a mere fraction of their former numbers. At the present rate of emigration it won't be long before there are effectively no Christian Palestinians/Arabs left.

Even in Lebanon, which has been a Maronite Christian enclave surrounded by Islam, the Maronite population has fallen below half for the first time....

Merlin,

You are absolutely right.

I know its going Off Topic a bit, but it is relevant to the Gazan/West Bank scenario and ultimately peace.......

Arab Christians are a part of the heritage of the region. Indeed look at how the Arab Christian communities of Iraq have had to flee from militant Islamists.

The bookseller in Gaza (who was murdered in 2007)was targeted because he was persona non grata and whether it was Hamas or a splinter group, its depleting the lifeblood/ heritage of these brave Arab Christians.

In Israel proper Arab Christians can live in peace generally and there are some good links with Jewish believers and Arab believers, so I seem to recall.

I think that it is in these positive links that people can forge bonds of mutual respect and dialogue. Of course this doesn't get on the news much as its ''good news''! Same as it ever was , eh?

Saul

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Posts: 1772 | From: unsure | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Middle East in general is a horrible place to live for Christians, though. They are leaving in droves, especially in the time since radical Islam has grown to the strength we see it today. If current trends continue, the cradle of Christianity could be devoid of indigenous Christians in our lifetime, or at least our children's. Again this has little to do with the Israel/Palestine thing, since neither side has much time for Christians.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Could be. I think if I said I only read American news sources about Israel I'd be flayed alive. YMMV.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Possibly the problem is American news then.

I've found the International Herald Tribune one of the best sources of world news going. On the other hand Voice of America is not so much to my taste.

[ 03. June 2010, 16:37: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dumpling Jeff
Shipmate
# 12766

- Posted      Profile for Dumpling Jeff   Email Dumpling Jeff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hawk, pointing out someone's historical bias isn't a smear campaign. Also, I didn't start it. It started long before I heard of the man. That would have been when I read his name as a former U.S. ambassador on this ship, BTW.

Why this should this man draw such ire? It must be a conspiracy to discredit him. I shouldn't have bought into it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"There merely seems to be something rather glib in defending the police without question one moment and calling the Crusades-- or war in general-- bad the next. The second may be an extension of the first." - Alogon

Posts: 2572 | From: Nomad | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
orfeo, my point was that you were making a point about how long and hard you had searched the news, and it was only Australian news you searched. Not a terribly impressive search.

But I wasn't claiming to have searched long and hard. My point was merely that Doc Tor's assertion - that it was obvious from all news reports that this was a 'protest' - was not in keeping with the news sources I had to hand, which all referred to 'aid'.

Assuming that Doc Tor is correct to say that the news sources in HIS little corner of the world all referred to a 'protest', the next step would be ask why that would be the case. The Australian media is certainly not monolithic in its views, we have left-leaning and right-leaning media here. So how did they all come to say this was 'aid' (along with whatever media you read), while Doc Tor's media saw through that and declared this was a 'protest'?

Alternatively, we are just dealing with Doc Tor's own take on this, not what the media reports actually said, in which case this whole sidetrack is a fat waste of time.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

- Posted      Profile for Saul the Apostle   Email Saul the Apostle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the dust settle on this event, I came across this article from ''The Times''.

Without wishing to re-visit the extensive postings, it appears that there were a small hard core of men (Turks?) who were spoiling for a fight.

It appears that the Israeli Commando Sgt. in the article was the last to abseil on to the ship and utter violent carnage was taking place. He took the action he thought was acceptable and live fire ensured.

My guess is there were some men on board, a small minority, intent on ''martyrdom'' and they wanted violence.

I am not applauding the Commando's actions by the way, I am simply recounting the piece from the ''The Times'' and trying to build up a picture.

Certainly the Israeli intelligence was poor and if they'd of realised the intent they could have taken much less lethal measures. Just as a reminder all of the other ships were interdicted with no violence and this type of tactic is regularly carried out by the Roayal Navy (stop and search of shipping in international waters).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7144099.ece

Saul

[ 04. June 2010, 18:44: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

--------------------
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
My point was merely that Doc Tor's assertion - that it was obvious from all news reports that this was a 'protest' - was not in keeping with the news sources I had to hand, which all referred to 'aid'.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. Are you saying you're incapable of looking at the news and seeing it for what it is, rather than whatever spin they happen to put on it?

Of course the protesters are going to use 'aid' all the time. It puts them in a better light, and the Israelis in a worse one (if that's at all possible now). I never bought into that for a moment, and if you're smart enough to use a computer, I'm surprised you did. As I said: it's a protest march, with ships. The ships might carry aid, but that's not the primary reason for the blockade running - which was breaking the blockade.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm sorry, Saul, but people who are "spoiling for a fight" with the IDF don't do it with kitchen knives and pipe truncheons when they could be better armed, and it's clear they could have been better armed.

Martyrdom, I might buy. But that's not the same thing.

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sorry, Saul, but people who are "spoiling for a fight" with the IDF don't do it with kitchen knives and pipe truncheons when they could be better armed, and it's clear they could have been better armed.

I'm sorry MT, but that's just wrong. Anarchists and hooligans do it all the time, engaging police (whether armed with tear gas, batons or guns) with bricks and bottles. And the flotilla activists physically couldn't have brought any other weapons than slingshots and metal bars since the ships were thoroughly searched by outgoing customs when they left port.

Moan about Israel all you like, but you're sticking your fingers in your ears about the protesters. It is becoming increasingly obvious some of them were on the ship specifically for violence if the situation allowed it.

IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And on the other side, the IDF, must have expected less than lethal weapons to be encountered since they were also 'armed' with paint-ball rifles.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

Its down to perception isn't it?

A group of young Israelis see it like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGG_osOoVg&feature=player_embedded

WARNING: Don't watch this if you're easily upset. It may offend!

Saul

[ 05. June 2010, 14:49: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

--------------------

redderfreak
Shipmate
# 15191

- Posted      Profile for redderfreak   Author's homepage   Email redderfreak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read this thread with interest and I agree with Mousethief. Thanks for your posts.

I can't see Israel lifting the siege of Gaza except by force or until they withdraw from the West Bank and a Palestinian state is established. It's like the German occupation of France in World War 2. The occupied West Bank is similar to the Vichy puppet regime of Marshall Petain. The legitimate democratically elected Palestinian government (Hamas)is holed up in Gaza. The Germans regarded France as their rightful property. They regarded the French resistance as terrorism, the same as Israel regards any resistance by the Palestinians to occupation. I know it's not a perfect analogy but there are interesting parallels.

I think there will be no peace until Palestine has its own security to balance Israel's. At the moment they have none.

--------------------
You know I just couldn't make it by myself, I'm a little too blind to see

Posts: 287 | From: Exeter | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
And on the other side, the IDF, must have expected less than lethal weapons to be encountered since they were also 'armed' with paint-ball rifles.

They killed 10 people with paintball rifles?

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anarchists and hooligans do it all the time, engaging police (whether armed with tear gas, batons or guns) with bricks and bottles.

Only in countries where the police are unlikely to do this to them.

[ 05. June 2010, 17:37: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Saul the Apostle
Shipmate
# 13808

quote:
Originally posted by redderfreak:
I've read this thread with interest and I agree with Mousethief. Thanks for your posts.

I can't see Israel lifting the siege of Gaza except by force or until they withdraw from the West Bank and a Palestinian state is established. It's like the German occupation of France in World War 2. The occupied West Bank is similar to the Vichy puppet regime of Marshall Petain. The legitimate democratically elected Palestinian government (Hamas)is holed up in Gaza. The Germans regarded France as their rightful property. They regarded the French resistance as terrorism, the same as Israel regards any resistance by the Palestinians to occupation. I know it's not a perfect analogy but there are interesting parallels.

I think there will be no peace until Palestine has its own security to balance Israel's. At the moment they have none.

Its a completely barking analogy. Shows a complete detachment from the situation on the ground in my view.

Hamas are not the sugar coated candy sort of guys you'd want to sit down with to do any business with. They have repeatedly said they want to destroy Israel utterly. How can you dialogue with that perspective?

Why is Mahmoud Abbas and his government illegitimate?

Why is Hamas legitimate and the W.Bank government not?

How can any group like Hamas convince the Israelis they are serious about mutual agreements; living next door to each other? (eg. peace!)

Frankly from reading your post the analogy you use (Vichy France [Frown] )is completely innapropriate and wide of the mark by a long shot. IMO.

As for Mousethief's posts, well, he has a legitimate point of view. He seems to demonise anything Israel seems to do (does he see any good in Israel at all?) and I am not sure how helpful that is - in the real world that sort of polarisation just does that it polarises and seperates.

Like I said I have visited the area several times, makes me no expert, but I have met both Arabs and Jews and this is for sure, jaw jaw is better than war war ................and the way Turkey is moving right now ought to set alarm bells ringing in the West, NATO and Israel.

We need positive dialogue....based on mutual respect and a degree of toleration for the others point of view in that part of the world.

Saul

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We need positive dialogue....based on mutual respect and a degree of toleration for the others point of view in that part of the world.

Good luck getting that from the Israelis. They have turned into who they fight against, and are at least as much to blame as anybody else in the region. They have created a humanitarian nightmare in Gaza. They have repeatedly broken every agreement they made, and stated that they have no intention of holding to any of the boundaries they have agreed to.

They are acting in bad faith at least as much as Hamas is. At least the Gazans have an excuse for voting Hamas in - Israel rendered Fatah powerless to govern via many years of stonewalling on everything. If the "right way" hasn't worked, I don't blame them for voting in the "wrong way." Israel doesn't have that excuse. They have the upper hand, they control the situation. The onus is on them to not do evil, and they are clearly failing in that.

There was a period in time when progress could be made imo in that region, and Israel sadly threw it out, to the detriment of everybody.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that anyone has mentioned a similar story of a ship that was not allowed to dock in Palestine some time ago. That was the SS Exodus (you may remember a film of the same name ???) and the British, who ran Palestine at the time, refused to let it land. It got rather nasty and Britain was portrayed as the villain of the piece.

I think the operation was backed if not organised by Haganah (some of the crew were Haganah members), which if I remember my history wasn't much more peaceful than Hamas.

All the prodding and provocation on this thread don't help the Gazans or, in the longer term, Israelis of all races and creeds. YMMV.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally postec by pjkirk:
They are acting in bad faith at least as much as Hamas is. At least the Gazans have an excuse for voting Hamas in - Israel rendered Fatah powerless to govern via many years of stonewalling on everything. If the "right way" hasn't worked, I don't blame them for voting in the "wrong way." Israel doesn't have that excuse. They have the upper hand, they control the situation. The onus is on them to not do evil, and they are clearly failing in that.

Was it Israels fault that Hamas isolated Gaza by purging and in some cases executing members of Fatah in Gaza? At this point, is a two state solution even possible? Maybe, the international community should start considering a three state solution. It would be a shame if Hamas got to keep using 1.2 million people as human shields in their war to destroy Israel. But, the Palestinains did elect the party that intended to use them as human shields in their war to destroy Israel.

I think you'll agree that Palestinians in the West Bank are doing much better than Palestinians in Gaza. In my opinion, Arafat gave up the best opportunity for peace with Israel 12 years ago. Instead, the Palestinians chose a 2nd Intifadah and Ariel Sharon followed another term for Bibby Netanyahu.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
My point was merely that Doc Tor's assertion - that it was obvious from all news reports that this was a 'protest' - was not in keeping with the news sources I had to hand, which all referred to 'aid'.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. Are you saying you're incapable of looking at the news and seeing it for what it is, rather than whatever spin they happen to put on it?

Of course the protesters are going to use 'aid' all the time. It puts them in a better light, and the Israelis in a worse one (if that's at all possible now). I never bought into that for a moment, and if you're smart enough to use a computer, I'm surprised you did. As I said: it's a protest march, with ships. The ships might carry aid, but that's not the primary reason for the blockade running - which was breaking the blockade.

Did you read ANY of my posts??!!

I already said the exact same thing - that this looked like a protest dressed up as an aid mission.

EDIT: And I also said, this is precisely what I don't like about it. It's fundamentally dishonest to mount a protest, knowing full well it's likely to cause trouble, and dress it up as an aid mission in order to maximise the shock value when 'Israel attacks an aid ship'.

[ 07. June 2010, 03:10: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
It's fundamentally dishonest to mount a protest, knowing full well it's likely to cause trouble, and dress it up as an aid mission in order to maximise the shock value when 'Israel attacks an aid ship'.

Well, that is kind of the whole point of a protest. This was intended to show that even the most humanitarian aid missions are blocked from Gaza, not just the terrorist smugglers. If they'd just sailed up and down the Gaza coast with empty ships waving banners then it wouldn't have shown anything.

This is the same as other protests where someone does something provocative to show up those reacting to the provocation. Rosa Parks offended many when she sat at the back of the bus. Of course she knew it was going to cause trouble, but the point is that she felt she was in her rights to do so and the trouble was caused by those who reacted so strongly to her behaviour.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
It's fundamentally dishonest to mount a protest, knowing full well it's likely to cause trouble, and dress it up as an aid mission in order to maximise the shock value when 'Israel attacks an aid ship'.

Well, that is kind of the whole point of a protest. This was intended to show that even the most humanitarian aid missions are blocked from Gaza, not just the terrorist smugglers. If they'd just sailed up and down the Gaza coast with empty ships waving banners then it wouldn't have shown anything.

This is the same as other protests where someone does something provocative to show up those reacting to the provocation. Rosa Parks offended many when she sat at the back of the bus. Of course she knew it was going to cause trouble, but the point is that she felt she was in her rights to do so and the trouble was caused by those who reacted so strongly to her behaviour.

Sorry, it is not the same at all. Rosa Parks did not pretend to be anything other than what she was.

Despite your assertions, pretending to be an aid ship and being blockaded is not, in fact, very good proof that aid ships are being blockaded. It's only proof that protestors will be blockaded.

I'm not saying that aid isn't blocked, just that this demonstration failed to make the point. If you wanted to prove that aid wasn't getting through, you would attempt to coordinate aid with the UN and/or the Israeli authorities and then highlight the fact the aid had been denied passage.

In a case like this, you can't demonstrate that the rules (ie the blockade) are unjust if you simply ignore the rules altogether. Every country in the world has rules that ships have to abide by when coming into port. A ship doesn't have an automatic right to turn up at an Israeli-controlled port whenever it feels like, any more than it has a right to turn up at an Australian, American, British, French or German port without notifying the authorities and receiving approval.

What these protesters have done is the equivalent of Rosa Parks trying to get on the bus without paying for a ticket.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
EDIT: And I also said, this is precisely what I don't like about it. It's fundamentally dishonest to mount a protest, knowing full well it's likely to cause trouble, and dress it up as an aid mission in order to maximise the shock value when 'Israel attacks an aid ship'.

So the next time something gets your goat, you'll make sure your protest is designed to have absolutely zero impact and will inconvenience no one whatsoever to the point of being unnoticeable.

I know the meek will inherit the earth, but [Roll Eyes]

Causing trouble, inconvenience, making a noise, getting heard, is entirely the point of a protest. Unless you think that those whose causes you disapprove of shouldn't have that right, of course, in which case that whirring sound you hear is Voltaire spinning in his grave.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

orfeo

# 13878

Doc Tor, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't get a chance to read my post of 7 minutes earlier.

If Rosa Parks had got on the bus without a ticket, the bus conductor would be perfectly entitled to throw her off the bus. She could argue until she was blue in the face that she was thrown off 'because she was black', and it wouldn't be convincing because anyone who wanted to could have continued thinking she was thrown off for fare evasion.

Buying a ticket, sitting on the bus quietly and not causing a disturbance, and STILL being told to get out of her seat is precisely why her protest demonstrated the unfairness of the rule she was protesting.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Doc Tor, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't get a chance to read my post of 7 minutes earlier.

Geez, that's big of you.

But your analogy sucks. Rosa Parks didn't refuse to pay for the ticket, and six boatloads of humanitarian aid had cleared Turkish customs.

The Israelis are 'happy' to let in aid as long as it's on their secret list that they won't show anyone so that aid-givers have to guess what'll be allowed in and what'll be confiscated - which apparently includes that weapon of mass destruction, coriander - and according to the UN, only a quarter of what's required is allowed in anyway.

So taking aid to people in need and still getting your ships boarded the aid seized and sorted according to this 'list' and nine people are dead... okay. That looks like a protest that demonstrates the unfairness of the rule they were protesting.

And just to add - does anyone have a reliable report as to why Egypt went with the blockade too?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
Despite your assertions, pretending to be an aid ship and being blockaded is not, in fact, very good proof that aid ships are being blockaded. It's only proof that protestors will be blockaded.

I'm not saying that aid isn't blocked, just that this demonstration failed to make the point. If you wanted to prove that aid wasn't getting through, you would attempt to coordinate aid with the UN and/or the Israeli authorities and then highlight the fact the aid had been denied passage.

They weren't pretending, they were aid ships. See all the aid on the ships? That's what makes them aid ships. [Roll Eyes]

I think it made a very good point. It's no secret that aid is being denied passage, Israel admits it and says outright that certain types of aid is refused entry (such as concrete and coriander). This wasn't about proving that Gaza is being blockaded, its about highlighting Israel's heavy-handed enforcement of it.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

They weren't pretending, they were aid ships. See all the aid on the ships? That's what makes them aid ships. [Roll Eyes]

I think it made a very good point. It's no secret that aid is being denied passage, Israel admits it and says outright that certain types of aid is refused entry (such as concrete and coriander). This wasn't about proving that Gaza is being blockaded, its about highlighting Israel's heavy-handed enforcement of it.

AIUI they also wanted to increase international awareness of the blockade - and they have certainly achieved that.

Is there any word on whether the Israelis found any weapons in the cargo and/or how much of the aid has got to Gaza?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
quote:

AIUI they also wanted to increase international awareness of the blockade - and they have certainly achieved that.

Is there any word on whether the Israelis found any weapons in the cargo and/or how much of the aid has got to Gaza?

No real weapons, just kitchen knives and some metal bars - the same non-weapons that were in the pictures for a while now.

Israel of course removed the "contraband" from the shipment, so no building supplies, etc, are in it. i.e. the things they really need.

And, sad to say, Hamas is blocking the shipments from coming in too, until Israel releases the last few people from jail.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
redderfreak
Shipmate
# 15191

- Posted      Profile for redderfreak   Author's homepage   Email redderfreak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by redderfreak:

Its a completely barking analogy. Shows a complete detachment from the situation on the ground in my view.

Hamas are not the sugar coated candy sort of guys you'd want to sit down with to do any business with. They have repeatedly said they want to destroy Israel utterly. How can you dialogue with that perspective?

Why is Mahmoud Abbas and his government illegitimate?

Why is Hamas legitimate and the W.Bank government not?

How can any group like Hamas convince the Israelis they are serious about mutual agreements; living next door to each other? (eg. peace!)

Frankly from reading your post the analogy you use (Vichy France [Frown] )is completely innapropriate and wide of the mark by a long shot. IMO.

As for Mousethief's posts, well, he has a legitimate point of view. He seems to demonise anything Israel seems to do (does he see any good in Israel at all?) and I am not sure how helpful that is - in the real world that sort of polarisation just does that it polarises and seperates.

Like I said I have visited the area several times, makes me no expert, but I have met both Arabs and Jews and this is for sure, jaw jaw is better than war war ................and the way Turkey is moving right now ought to set alarm bells ringing in the West, NATO and Israel.

Saul

It's not a barking analogy. The French resistance were not 'sugar coated candy' either. Israeli settlers want to completely destroy Palestine. There are extremists on both sides. How can you have dialogue with Zionist extremists? The West Bank government is illegitimate because it was not democratically elected. Hamas won the last Palestinian election fairly. Abbas' term as president ended in January 2009. Since then he has ruled as an unelected puppet dictator, propped up by western governments. If I were the Palestinians I would not trust Israel either. They have an army, tanks, helicopters, aircraft and nuclear weapons, while Palestine has none.

--------------------
You know I just couldn't make it by myself, I'm a little too blind to see

Posts: 287 | From: Exeter | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
They have repeatedly said they want to destroy Israel utterly. How can you dialogue with that perspective?

Well, they came close in 2004 when the Hamas leader Ahmed Yassin offered to end armed resistance in exchange for a Palestinian state and the right of return for Palestinian refugees. This could have been the start of a viable truce and significant peace talks. If only Israel hadn't decided to murder him instead a couple of months after he made the offer.

Perhaps Yassin was lying, but perhaps Israel should have talked to him first instead of throwing missiles at him just when Hamas were showing signs of moderation. It's very hard to have a dialogue with someone if you've just killed them in cold blood.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

If you'd been reading the thread, you would have seen that I (and others) queried whether the 'aid ships' actually had any genuine intention or expectation that the aid would ever reach Gaza.

Slapping a red cross on the side of your van doesn't make you an ambulance.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I fail to see why that matters.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
I fail to see why that matters.

Ah, so lying about your intentions is okay? So long as your cause for protest is just, you can use whatever means necessary to that end?

This is what it boils down to. Saying that people can do wrong things for some kind of 'greater good'. It's okay to, say, trespass onto private property and assault a security guard if it makes your protest against the company owning that property more effective?

I am going to stand by my view that the best way to protest against an unjust law is to carefully avoid breaking any JUST laws along the way. If you want sympathy for a cause, do everything else in a way that is beyond reproach. That way, people will be swayed to your cause because they will see that the only reason you got in trouble was because of the unjust law. They won't be distracted by the wrong things you did along the way.

The very first thing I saw an Israeli spokesman say about this incident was that, if these were aid ships, why did they not coordinate with the UN? That course of propaganda attack was open to them precisely because the protesters did not follow the other rules.

My viewpoint is very much based on the same thinking as this passage from 1 Peter:

"For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and endure it, this is commendable before God."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You can't tell other people that getting beaten up is good for them. Good God. Especially if it's your foot on their neck.

They were attempting to deliver aid to Gaza. They had a fairly good notion they were going to be diverted by the IDF. I don't see how those are incompatible, nor how it means they were lying. They wanted to deliver aid to Gaza. Barring that, drum up a lot of international attention for the blockade. Why can't they have both those goals?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
You can't tell other people that getting beaten up is good for them. Good God. Especially if it's your foot on their neck.

They were attempting to deliver aid to Gaza. They had a fairly good notion they were going to be diverted by the IDF. I don't see how those are incompatible, nor how it means they were lying. They wanted to deliver aid to Gaza. Barring that, drum up a lot of international attention for the blockade. Why can't they have both those goals?

They can have both of those goals. However, my view is that if they were attempting to deliver aid to Gaza, they should have maximised their chances of getting the aid through.

I don't imagine that the UN is particularly happy about the blockade either, or the crazy conditions placed on aid getting in. I also gather that they are unhappy about the amount of aid that gets in, saying that it isn't enough. However, what the UN does is work within the crazy rules as best it can, while making its objections. Because the UN's focus and priority IS on getting aid through, not trying to score a big news story.

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
If you'd been reading the thread, you would have seen that I (and others) queried whether the 'aid ships' actually had any genuine intention or expectation that the aid would ever reach Gaza.

Slapping a red cross on the side of your van doesn't make you an ambulance.

No, but filling it full of medical equipment and paramedics and driving it at full speed to the scene of an accident is a pretty good sign.

Yes, they knew it was likely they would be stopped. But they were fully stocked and prepared to deliver the large amount of aid they were carrying if they managed to get through. The only possible way your criticism works is if they called themselves aid ships but had no aid on board. Then they would be lying about their intentions. Otherwise, you're barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid.

quote:
However, my view is that if they were attempting to deliver aid to Gaza, they should have maximised their chances of getting the aid through.

That's what they did! Your blinkered belief in the UN and Israel ignores the fact that Israel DOES NOT ALLOW much of the aid the ships were carrying to get into Gaza. Whether it's coordinated with the UN or nicely driven into Israel with doffed cap and 'sir, yes, sir' or anything at all, Israel will not let it through. That's the point. This was the ONLY chance much of the aid had of getting into Gaza.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
That's what they did! Your blinkered belief in the UN and Israel ignores the fact that Israel DOES NOT ALLOW much of the aid the ships were carrying to get into Gaza. Whether it's coordinated with the UN or nicely driven into Israel with doffed cap and 'sir, yes, sir' or anything at all, Israel will not let it through. That's the point. This was the ONLY chance much of the aid had of getting into Gaza.

I'm not ignoring at all. Nor do I have a 'blinkered belief' in Israel and the UN. Nor do I think that Israel's approach to aid is right.

What I am saying is that, in the long term, a 'doffing cap' approach is actually a lot more effective in getting the world to be outraged at what Israel is doing. If you do everything right and STILL can't get perfectly reasonable aid through, that communicates that Israel is behaving badly much more easily than if you do a whole bunch of wrong things.

Public opinion in Israel itself is firmly behind the government's actions. Of course it is, it's easy to justify the position. Public opinion would be a lot LESS behind the government's actions in a situation where the aid carriers had obeyed all the government's directives, but still weren't allowed through.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Aid has been being sent and refused to be let through for as long as the blockade has been imposed*. If that hasn't wakened the Israeli public, nothing will.

*That's kind of what "blockade" means.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Depends how aware the Israeli public is that what is being blockaded includes not just guns, but pasta.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If I can learn it on the web....

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

...it's because you wanted to learn it, or already knew there was actually something to go and learn.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I learned it in the course of learning about this Aid Convoy thing. Are you saying Israelis aren't interested in this news story, or learning about their own country?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a couple of questions:

Why is aid to the Gaza Strip not just brought in through Egypt?

Would Turkey want to take a look at ships hauling supplies to Armenians and Kurds?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I'm sure some of them are.

However, I think it would be very easy for the average Israeli on the street to go: blockade is justified - convoy tried to break blockade - action against convoy is justified, without being prompted to think further about WHAT kind of blockade is justified.

This story, in and of itself, doesn't automatically involve thinking about the nature of the blockade in any detail. The bare fact of a blockade is enough to understand the basics of the story. And I tend to think there wouldn't be much debate at all in Israel about the bare question of whether or not there should be a blockade.

[edit: cross-post, I was replying to mousethief]

[ 09. June 2010, 05:23: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
Why is aid to the Gaza Strip not just brought in through Egypt?

It will be now that Egypt has opened the border on their side. Previously, it was closed except for one day per year, probably due to US diplomatic pressure. Now, it's open indefinitely due to Israel's actions/backfire here.

I love how the blockade-runners actions did work, just in a perhaps unexpected manner, and how Israel's methods of trying to keep arms out of Gaza will probably lead to even more arms filtering across the border.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I'm sure some of them are.

However, I think it would be very easy for the average Israeli on the street to go: blockade is justified - convoy tried to break blockade - action against convoy is justified, without being prompted to think further about WHAT kind of blockade is justified.

This story, in and of itself, doesn't automatically involve thinking about the nature of the blockade in any detail. The bare fact of a blockade is enough to understand the basics of the story. And I tend to think there wouldn't be much debate at all in Israel about the bare question of whether or not there should be a blockade.

[edit: cross-post, I was replying to mousethief]

To their shame, then.

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

quote:
What I am saying is that, in the long term, a 'doffing cap' approach is actually a lot more effective in getting the world to be outraged at what Israel is doing. If you do everything right and STILL can't get perfectly reasonable aid through, that communicates that Israel is behaving badly much more easily than if you do a whole bunch of wrong things.

If only the world did work that way. Your idealism is lovely but you don’t seem to have much idea of the reality of the situation. Aid agencies have been doing everything right since 2005 and STILL couldn’t get perfectly reasonable aid through. But no one in the wider world noticed or cared. Did you notice the hundreds, perhaps thousands of times various aid agencies sent quiet ‘doffed cap’ aid missions to Gaza and were refused? Because I didn’t. The missions that were quietly refused never made the papers, the legitimate aid that Israel turned back without explanation was a minor issue on the back pages of anyone’s agenda, if they thought about it at all.

But one blockade-running convoy though and suddenly…the world is up in arms, Egypt is throwing open its borders, the papers are screaming, the UN is demanding inquiries etc etc. That’s the way the real world works Orfeo. I wish it didn’t have to be done that way but sometimes it does just to get anyone to pay attention.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016