homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The Dawkins Delusion (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The Dawkins Delusion
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have been watching Channel 4 and Dawkins evangelising on behalf of atheism.

Any two brained idiot can take the extremes of religion and build a case for atheism.

But there is another and equally reasonable case.

Methinks it is Dawkins who is deluded.

[ 16. December 2010, 13:07: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not a case, that's a statement.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
shamwari

your case is?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pause, please, until Shamwari tells us what the subject for discussion it.

Please to remember there have been a number of threads about Dawkins and related subjects, and it may be more to the point to make comments on one of those.

I'll wait a while in hopes that there will be some enlightenment about the discussion: if not, the thread will be closed.

John Holding
Purgatory Host

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OP:
quote:
But there is another and equally reasonable case.

Well, maybe this is what the thread is all about. If an equally rationally plausible case can be made for atheism and its alternatives (whether collectively, grouped together as "religion" or individually, with special emphasis on the [mono]theisms) and Dawkins persists in hanging out with straw men and raving in a quasi-fundamentalist matter - maybe his disingenuous-to-the-point-of-eye-rollingly-crazy project is set to implode.

Maybe soon. [Big Grin]

Maybe in the course of this series. [Angel]

(Footnote: I didn't recognize Dawkins when he appeared suddenly in what turned out to be the trailer for the series. I thought it was some sort of religious maniac. And of course, I was right. [Biased] )

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My case, or part of it, is that Dawkins seems to work on the premise that faith is, by definition, unreasonable.

He also works on the assumption that a believer in God cannot, at the same time, believe in evolution.

I would want to posit the opposite.

Faith is neither unreasonable or irrational and many a believer in God also combines evolution (and science generally) with that belief.

I say believer in God because Dawkins is not just attacking Christians but people of all Faiths.

At which point it could be said that both areas have been discussed ad nauseum before. But Channel 4 has ignited the debate once again by a prime time programme.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

Alistair McGrath studied Molecular Biophsyics at the same University and at the same (similar?) time Dawkins was around.

He wrote a book I've started recently. The Dawkins Delusion.

He's a fantastic theologian. Very reasonable and insightful.

Maybe we could do it as a book club thingie? [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Any two brained idiot can take the extremes of religion and build a case for atheism.

Actually, anyone with two brains would probably be jolly clever.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
tallmaninthecnr
Shipmate
# 15429

- Posted      Profile for tallmaninthecnr         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

Alistair McGrath studied Molecular Biophsyics at the same University and at the same (similar?) time Dawkins was around.

Maybe we could do it as a book club thingie? [Big Grin]

Thanks for the link just booked it thru the library [Smile]
Posts: 197 | From: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:

Actually, anyone with two brains would probably be jolly clever.
Not sure about that. Intra-cranial pressure could do a lot of damage.

For me, the Dawkins Problem is very basic. What he wants to do is to remove from people one of the most basic human rights - the right to be mistaken.

Now I'm aware that I'm in a glass house throwing stones: the Church does not exactly have a glowing record on how it deals with people it belives to be mistaken. But if Dawkins claims to be so much more enlightened, then he should be aware that this is what he's doing. And if he's aware of it, he should say so: "In Dawkinsworld, you will all think as Dawkins does. No-one will be allowed to persist in thinking any other way."

Then see where his hordes of supporters go.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're all freethinkers, Adeodatus, they just happen to agree! [Devil]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus:
quote:
For me, the Dawkins Problem is very basic. What he wants to do is to remove from people one of the most basic human rights - the right to be mistaken.

Now I'm aware that I'm in a glass house throwing stones: the Church does not exactly have a glowing record on how it deals with people it belives to be mistaken. But if Dawkins claims to be so much more enlightened, then he should be aware that this is what he's doing. And if he's aware of it, he should say so: "In Dawkinsworld, you will all think as Dawkins does. No-one will be allowed to persist in thinking any other way."

Then see where his hordes of supporters go.

Probably to join the hordes who left when they found Dawkins didn't exactly want to hear about their own free thoughts on his digital soapbox.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus:
quote:
Now I'm aware that I'm in a glass house throwing stones: the Church...
Dude, the Church is one glass house in which throwing stones is a high calling! Chuck mightily! [Overused]

Actually, one of the noteworthy yet still underexamined things about Dawkins is that he is absolutely convinced that he has a basis on which to deprive people of the "right to be wrong." Science tells it [to him] the way it is. That, of course, isn't a scientific standpoint. It's a (religious) faith in science. And that's why it's so necessary for him to deny that any of the rest of us can assimilate scientific truth (which is shifting scientific consensus, but that's OK because it's what science is) into our religious faith. He owns it. So we can't have it. Because he's right, and we're wrong.

And that's why when some of us start saying that we have no problem working - and working religiously creatively - with what science is currently telling us, he starts talking about the "One True Scotsman" fallacy, and such like.

Because if we can take science seriously, we can't really be religious, can we?

Because true religious people are nutcases who talk in absolutes, claim to possess the truth exclusively, and hold people who disagree with them to be monumentally ignorant, stupid, culpable and ineligible to hold opinions.

Er... hang on.... remind you of anyone?

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This sort of stuff makes me empathetic to those decent Catholics who are put in the uncomfortable position of having to defend the (in)actions of their church’s hierarchy in dealing with priestly abuse. Personally, I can’t stand Dawkins, but some of you people are being quite silly about him. I do wonder whether you’ve actually read/seen his arguments for yourself.

Please cite where he reveals he wants to ‘deprive people of the right to be wrong’, and we'll go from there.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, to be honest, I think he is increasingly turning into a mirror image of what he hates. He claims to be the polar opposite of what he attacks, but in reality he is on a circle and it's only a very short jump between him and the thing he attacks now. I'm rather surprised that he doesn't see that. There is a problem too in the fact that he increasingly has a reliance on producing religious extremes to back up his arguments, which will int he long run backfire on him, as people discover (if they haven't already) that he is largely misrepresenting the religions he attacks (if this were anyone else they might be accused of hate crime).

I've always found his approach to any religion rather difficult. He takes it all very much at face value and seems utterly incapable of understanding how it can point to something else within human existence that defies a cold logical approach. Maybe a world where things cannot be explained in a scientific and logical fashion scares him, which would certainly explain why he gravitates towards extremes. I feel rather sorry for him the more he goes on, as it becomes more and more clear that he has little sense of the transcendent in his life (in a secular sense). His only 'wonder' at existence is the in the cold, hard, scientific fact; where everything has an explanation and where every thought and action is boiled down to chemical processes.

If you were to plot a curve of his activities, he has certainly upped the ante in the last number of years. Maybe soon he will become a kind of tele evangelist for his new church of atheism and appear on sky tv making appeals for money with the promise of enlightenment.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
follower
Shipmate
# 15597

- Posted      Profile for follower   Email follower   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often wonder if part of mr Dawkins attitude towards religion is regarding his scientific theories. He often usues the insult of creationist or sometimes Lamarkian to other biologists who have the audacity to disagree with sections of his own personal theories.

He gives a good impession of wanting to monopolise evolution to become synonymous with himself and his own theories. Aided by his own force of personality and lazy TV producers who can't think of anyone else to present programmes.

Imo he seems to have created a straw threat of creaping irrationality as a means of denouncing others who don't agree with him.

Posts: 51 | From: dartford | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
John P
Apprentice
# 15581

- Posted      Profile for John P   Author's homepage   Email John P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dawkins has a right to his opinion with the caveat it might be as informed as Ian Botham's tome "Quantum Physics for Swing Bowlers" (A cracking read incidentally).

For me Dawkins too often shoots down his own parodies of religious belief rather dealing with the real thing.

When he dies I intend to place intercessionary prayers in his celestial inbox. When they are answered I will begin the movement for his beatification. He can be the patron saint of stem cell researchers.

--------------------
Songwriting is its own reward

Posts: 33 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like Dawkins but I liked his latest book on evolution, well argued, even if it did have unnecessary digs at creationists (who, IMO, have no case whatever and should see sense and renounce such nonsense, thus doing Dawkins out of a job).

It is obvious that Dawkins will use Lourdes and Hagger from Christianity to illustrate his points (many of which rang true for me) because most of the church is so dull and boring. I think he leaves it to us, most of the time, to extrapolate from extremism to mundane.

First prize goes to Hagger for shouting 'arrogance' at Dawkins. [Snigger]

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually I was really disappointed with this. I thought he was far too sarcastic and negative. (Yes, I know what that means coming from me. [Roll Eyes] )

I don't think he engaged with Dawkins properly either.

(Although it is also true that he went down in my estimation straight after his 'real absence' description of Zwingli's Eucharistic theology.)

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

My guess is that he (or rather those he represents) would have been fairly happy to do this in the latter decades of the last century. In those days the approach to religion was that if clever people just ignored it then it would naturally die out.

The problem is that it didn't. In many ways religion has a greater impact on international public life now. So Richard feels he needs to give it a helping hand. (It's demise, not religion ... although he might well be doing the latter. [Big Grin] Arg, I'm making a pig's ear of this but I hope you know what I mean.)

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dawkins' atheism feels to me very reactive. A lot of The God Delusion reads like Dawkins trying to carry on arguments he's had with other people. Within the context of those arguments he may be right, but to the average Christian it feels like a succession of strawmen.
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Personally, I can’t stand Dawkins, but some of you people are being quite silly about him. I do wonder whether you’ve actually read/seen his arguments for yourself.

Please cite where he reveals he wants to ‘deprive people of the right to be wrong’, and we'll go from there.

Indeed. I would say that one of Dawkins' good points is that he thinks truth is important - he thinks it matters whether people believe right or wrong things about the nature of the universe. Ironically this puts him closer to practising religious people than to the apathetic masses ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Faith is neither unreasonable or irrational and many a believer in God also combines evolution (and science generally) with that belief.

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
[Dawkins] takes it all very much at face value and seems utterly incapable of understanding how it can point to something else within human existence that defies a cold logical approach.

These positions seem to be diametrically opposed. Shamwari posits that faith is neither unreasonable nor irrational, implying that it is in someway derived using reason or logic, whereas FC makes the claim that religious faith is something different and distinct from logic. So I guess the first question to be addressed should be whether Christianity or Islam or Hinduism or any other faith-based belief is in fact logically derived.

quote:
I say believer in God because Dawkins is not just attacking Christians but people of all Faiths.

Isn't one of the primary attributes of monotheistic faiths like Christianity the premise that every other religion is wrong? Dawkins seems to differ only in his refusal to carve out an exception for some people's faith of choice.

quote:

It's been my experience that when people complain about others infringing on their "right to be mistaken", they're usually complaining about their "right" to not be told they're mistaken, which is essentially insisting that others be obligated to play along with beliefs they disagree with. This seems less a right than an assertion of special privilege.

--------------------

sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
[Dawkins] takes it all very much at face value and seems utterly incapable of understanding how it can point to something else within human existence that defies a cold logical approach.

These positions seem to be diametrically opposed. Shamwari posits that faith is neither unreasonable nor irrational, implying that it is in someway derived using reason or logic, whereas FC makes the claim that religious faith is something different and distinct from logic. So I guess the first question to be addressed should be whether Christianity or Islam or Hinduism or any other faith-based belief is in fact logically derived.

No I don't think they are. I think faith is not rational or irrational, but rather arational, in the same way that falling in love is not a rational process (of course, it may be irrational, depending on the object!).

I'm very analytical myself, but I don't think pure rationality is sufficient for full human life. People of faith are free to put their faith in the "things not strictly derived from reason that are fulfilling and worthwhile" category.

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Are they the only options? I don't think the Golden Rule can be logically derived, but I wouldn't call it irrational either.

Now, a clever atheist would argue that even if we grant a kind of "third way" - a form of reasoning that's neither logical nor irrational - it's not sufficient to derive the existence of God. But Dawkins just ignores the question altogether.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Dawkins' atheism feels to me very reactive. A lot of The God Delusion reads like Dawkins trying to carry on arguments he's had with other people...

... on the net.

Take your copy and turn to the footnotes at the back. How many of them are simply web addresses?

What would Richard say himself if a research student turned in a paper on genetics when the only reference tool they had used was wikipedia?

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was making that point, but not exclusively so. I had religious texts in mind when saying it (but it wouldn't have to be a religious text), those which on the surface might seem quite mad, but which are actually incredible accounts of the human condition and manage to convey something that is very difficult to put into words. Dawkins is the sort of character that I imagine having a very hard time taking an art gallery seriously, or maybe any art.

I am not the first person to levy this criticism of him and it's been interesting to watch his recent tv outings where he is obviously trying hard to include little snippets to refute these allegations. But despite his attempts it still feels forced, and it's almost comical to watch someone try and be something they are not, when he very obviously doesn't 'feel' it.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's been my experience that when people complain about others infringing on their "right to be mistaken", they're usually complaining about their "right" to not be told they're mistaken, which is essentially insisting that others be obligated to play along with beliefs they disagree with. This seems less a right than an assertion of special privilege.

No, Dawkins is calling for the abolition of our particular "delusion". In the current tv series he explicitly calls it "evil" and "dangerous". From this, I infer that he believes we should not be allowed to hold our point of view.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

... and a very quick Google serach supports my inference:
quote:
I think a case can be made that faith is one of the world's great evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate.
-- Richard Dawkins, The Humanist, Volume 57, Number 1

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
No, Dawkins is calling for the abolition of our particular "delusion". In the current tv series he explicitly calls it "evil" and "dangerous". From this, I infer that he believes we should not be allowed to hold our point of view.

Which is akin to inferring that because someone considers racism to be "evil" and "dangerous" that they're calling for restrictions on the right to hold that opinion. It's a bit of a leap.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
quote:

Which is akin to inferring that because someone considers racism to be "evil" and "dangerous" that they're calling for restrictions on the right to hold that opinion. It's a bit of a leap.
Did you not read my follow-up post? Dawkins likens religion to the smallpox virus and suggests its eradication. He says the same elsewhere, about eradicating religion by education and reason - but eradicating it nevertheless. I think, judging by his plain words, the conclusion is inescapable that he believes I do not have the right to view the world differently from him.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

Did you not read my follow-up post? Dawkins likens religion to the smallpox virus and suggests its eradication. He says the same elsewhere, about eradicating religion by education and reason - but eradicating it nevertheless. I think, judging by his plain words, the conclusion is inescapable that he believes I do not have the right to view the world differently from him.
Yeah, I saw it. You seem incapable of grasping the difference between (for example) considering racism a blight which should be erradicated "by education and reason" (a fairly commonplace view) and asserting that no right exists to hold racist views.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Croesos, I think your use of racism as a counter-example is as disingenuous as Dawkins's use of smallpox, but I'll gloss over that. The point is that "eradicate" is a precise word: it means to wipe out totally.

Even with something as obviously wicked as racism, I would be cautious about using the word "eradicate". What does one do to those who refuse to be "educated"? Send them, perhaps, to "education camps"? And what might that term become a euphemism for?

(Notice I'm playing you at your own game here. You imply that religion is akin to racism: I imply that scientism is akin to totalitarianism.)

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Croesos, I think your use of racism as a counter-example is as disingenuous as Dawkins's use of smallpox, but I'll gloss over that.

Thanks for glossing over that. Otherwise you might have done one of those things where you say it's wrong but don't bother to explain why.

quote:
The point is that "eradicate" is a precise word: it means to wipe out totally.

Even with something as obviously wicked as racism, I would be cautious about using the word "eradicate". What does one do to those who refuse to be "educated"? Send them, perhaps, to "education camps"? And what might that term become a euphemism for?

It's probably because you can't distinguish between eradicating or eliminating an idea and eradicating or eliminating people. That's the only way I can make sense of your "it's wrong to oppose racism because it might lead to death camps" argument.
[Confused]

quote:
(Notice I'm playing you at your own game here. You imply that religion is akin to racism: I imply that scientism is akin to totalitarianism.)

Thanks again for "glossing over" my example by referring to it twice without saying why it's wrong, other than that you find it offensive. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Yorick:
quote:
This sort of stuff makes me empathetic to those decent Catholics who are put in the uncomfortable position of having to defend the (in)actions of their church’s hierarchy in dealing with priestly abuse.
You don't actually mean what you just said there, do you? What puts anyone in the position of having to defend the indefensible?

As for the rest - wot Adeodatus said.

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:

Actually I was really disappointed with this. I thought he was far too sarcastic and negative. (Yes, I know what that means coming from me. [Roll Eyes] )

(Although it is also true that he went down in my estimation straight after his 'real absence' description of Zwingli's Eucharistic theology.)

I believe that The Dawkins Letters caused quite a furore over in the previous incarnation on RD.Net.

Indeed, apparently the near hysterical reaction to the book by some RD.net members caused one of the more active atheist posters to reconsider his worldview. You can listen to the story of the author, David Robertson, and the erstwhile atheist, Richard Morgan, here.

Also, I gather that you can read The Dawkins Letters here - 11 chapters in all. (I'm not sure if this is an early version, an abridged version or the full thing.)

[ 26. August 2010, 14:11: Message edited by: Squibs ]

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to throw a funny into the thread, does anybody recall this?

Richard Dawkins likes Christmas Carols

I don't have time to contribute much constructive to the thread. But I do get a chuckle out of the thought of Dawkins singing "Christ by highest Heav'n adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!"

Blessings,

Tom

[ 26. August 2010, 14:13: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Isn't one of the primary attributes of monotheistic faiths like Christianity the premise that every other religion is wrong? Dawkins seems to differ only in his refusal to carve out an exception for some people's faith of choice.

If you want look at religion as a black/ white issue then perhaps you are correct. But is life ever that simple? If we take a more nuanced look at the big three - Judaism, Christianity and Islam - we see that they agree on the fundamentals - that there is a God and he is one. Where disagreement occurs is over the not inconsequential competing views on his will and nature. Even at this point Judaism and Christianity share a common belief up to a point - that is, up to Christ.

As a Christian, I don't believe we have a monopoly on what is right. I would like to think that a lot of religious people would be of the opinion that there is a lot right with other religions.

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Squibs:
If you want look at religion as a black/ white issue then perhaps you are correct. But is life ever that simple? If we take a more nuanced look at the big three - Judaism, Christianity and Islam - we see that they agree on the fundamentals - that there is a God and he is one.

Except for those times when He is three, which seems to make Christianity the "odd man out" of the so-called "Big Three" (a.k.a. the Abrahamic faiths). It seems like it would be hard to argue general agreement when there's controversy over a the fairly simple matter of the number of Gods in a supposedly monotheistic faith.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:

AFAICS (having no more than skimmed either) The Dawkins Delusion looked like a much shortened version of his earlier and more thorough work, Dawkins' God. Have you read that one? What did did you think?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It seems like it would be hard to argue general agreement when there's controversy over a the fairly simple matter of the number of Gods in a supposedly monotheistic faith.

No Christian thinks there are 3 gods. Purposely twisting the representation of Christian belief doesn't help you win arguments, it makes you look like a prat. Kind of like Dawkins. You can say Trinitaranism is confused and doesn't work logically. But to say Christians believe in 3 gods just makes the intelligent skip over anything you have to say. It's either disingenuous or pig-ignorant.

Which is, not coincidentally perhaps, one of the most damning criticisms levelled at Dawkins: That his understading of Christianity is actually a caricature, and he is attacking a straw man.

Perhaps you were just taking the piss.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
It seems like it would be hard to argue general agreement when there's controversy over a the fairly simple matter of the number of Gods in a supposedly monotheistic faith.

No Christian thinks there are 3 gods. Purposely twisting the representation of Christian belief doesn't help you win arguments, it makes you look like a prat. Kind of like Dawkins. You can say Trinitaranism is confused and doesn't work logically. But to say Christians believe in 3 gods just makes the intelligent skip over anything you have to say. It's either disingenuous or pig-ignorant.

Which is, not coincidentally perhaps, one of the most damning criticisms levelled at Dawkins: That his understading of Christianity is actually a caricature, and he is attacking a straw man.

Perhaps you were just taking the piss.

Actually I picked it because it's one of the more common critiques of Christianity by Judaism and Islam; that the doctrine of the Trinity is self-contradictory an vaguely polytheistic. That's why I thought it relevant to the assertion that the Abrahamic religions agree on the Big Picture issues. I could just as easily have cited their problems with the idea of an incarnate deity. That these fairly basic points of doctrine are controversial undercuts the assertion that there's basic agreement between these religions.

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:
quote:
If you want look at religion as a black/ white issue then perhaps you are correct. But is life ever that simple? If we take a more nuanced look at the big three - Judaism, Christianity and Islam - we see that they agree on the fundamentals - that there is a God and he is one.

Except for those times when He is three, which seems to make Christianity the "odd man out" of the so-called "Big Three" (a.k.a. the Abrahamic faiths). It seems like it would be hard to argue general agreement when there's controversy over a the fairly simple matter of the number of Gods in a supposedly monotheistic faith.
I note that you didn't bother your hole to reply to the main point of my post. Instead, you posted a link that you evidentially didn't take the time to read.

I find your defence of RD use of the word eradicate to be risible. The only reasonable options you have are to accept the suggestion that Dawkins would love to remove the right to be wrong, or that his words were poorly chosen. Attempting to redefine "eradicate" by providing a Google link to a keyword search is weak shit, Crœsos. And you know it! I'll stick to the dictionary definition, thank you very much.

Sometimes you hit the nail on the head. On this occasion you're well wide of the mark.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Attempting to redefine "eradicate" by providing a Google link to a keyword search is weak shit, Crœsos. And you know it! I'll stick to the dictionary definition, thank you very much.

Sometimes you hit the nail on the head. On this occasion you're well wide of the mark.

Who's redefining? I'm just pointing out that there's a difference between eradicating racism and eradicating racists, just as there's a difference between eradicating religion and eradicating religious believers. I think it's fairly significant that this distinction seems to be lost on so many.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

I mean, to read the reactions here one would assume that smallpox eradication was pursued by summarily executing anyone displaying symptoms, marking it as one of humanity's greatest crimes rather than one of its finest victories.

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:
Who's redefining? I'm just pointing out that there's a difference between eradicating racism and eradicating racists, just as there's a difference between eradicating religion and eradicating religious believers. I think it's fairly significant that this distinction seems to be lost on so many. [/QB]

And you obviously missed the point that was made earlier. It isn't going to be possible to eradicate religion independently of the religious. That has been tried that before, don't you know. The result wasn't always pretty. I wonder how you propose religious belief would be eliminated without damaging those who hold onto faith?

[ 26. August 2010, 15:28: Message edited by: Squibs ]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Who's redefining? I'm just pointing out that there's a difference between eradicating racism and eradicating racists, just as there's a difference between eradicating religion and eradicating religious believers. I think it's fairly significant that this distinction seems to be lost on so many.

And you obviously missed the point that was made earlier. It isn't going to be possible to eradicate religion independently of the religious. That has been tried that before, don't you know. The result wasn't always pretty. I wonder how you propose religious belief would be eliminated without damaging those who hold onto faith?
First of all it's Dawkins' proposal, not mine. His proposed methods, as summarized by Adeodatus, are "education and reason".

Second, religions die all the time without anyone having to go in and directly kill all of their living followers. The same can be said of racism. Very little progress can usually be made in convincing racists to change their beliefs, and yet racist beliefs are a lot less common today than they were even half a century ago (though not as uncommon as many would like). Now, if we were to take the position of Squibs or Adeodatus, the only possible explanation for this is that someone must be conducting a (covert) campaign of mass extermination among racists. A more reality-based explanation would be that education and reason have convinced successive generations that racism was bunk.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually I picked it because it's one of the more common critiques of Christianity by Judaism and Islam; that the doctrine of the Trinity is self-contradictory an vaguely polytheistic.

Then why didn't you say that? Saying that Christians believe in 3 gods is either a lie, or evidence of the kind of ignorance that makes anything you say on the subject of less worth than examining the scrapings of the inside of the London sewer system as a means of predicting pork belly futures. Using this kind of subterfuge just drives honest, thoughtful people away from Dawkins and the kind of hatemongers who think and talk like him. "If he can't get that right," they may say, "why should I believe him about anything else?" And they'd be right.

Really it's hard to believe that Dawkins' shrill, fact-averse, willfully ignorant approach to Christianity does himself, or the cause of atheism, any good. Maybe he gathers around himself a cadre of like-minded religion-haters, but does that do anybody in the world any good, other than stroking their own egos? What's particularly scientific or rational or bright about spewing bile about things that you admit you are proud of not fully understanding? The man is a walking parody.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Actually I picked it because it's one of the more common critiques of Christianity by Judaism and Islam; that the doctrine of the Trinity is self-contradictory an vaguely polytheistic.

Then why didn't you say that? Saying that Christians believe in 3 gods is either a lie, or evidence of the kind of ignorance that makes anything you say on the subject of less worth than examining the scrapings of the inside of the London sewer system as a means of predicting pork belly futures. Using this kind of subterfuge just drives honest, thoughtful people away from Dawkins and the kind of hatemongers who think and talk like him.
This is a fairly clear-cut example of the kind of privelege expected by religion in public life. If Richard Dawkins claims the Trinity is a self-contradictory and polytheistic notion such observations are the equivalent of sewage. Give him the title of 'rabbi' or 'imam', though, and it's just a simple doctrinal disgreement. I guess that's one of the privileges of being in the club.

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:

Second, religions die all the time without anyone having to go in and directly kill all of their living followers.[/QB]

But Dawkins isn't talking about a particular religion. He is talking about all religions. Religion as a phenomena isn't dying, if anything I believe it is on the increase.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
This is a fairly clear-cut example of the kind of privelege expected by religion in public life.

Is it a privilege to be allowed to say for oneself what one believes, rather than have somebody else put words in one's mouth? Well then, yes, it's a privilege that we want. I wonder that Dawkins doesn't want the same, however.

Twist and turn, you're just proving my point.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016