homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: PSA and Christian Identities (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: PSA and Christian Identities
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if it's a good or a bad time to launch another PSA thread (and can see arguments both ways) but here goes.

ISTM that one of the things that has emerged again on both the "In Christ alone" thread in Ecclesiantics, and the "At-one-ment - only one?" thread here in Purgatory, is the degree of personal investment that people have in Penal Substitutionary Atonement. ISTM that it has been cited as a crucial component, not just in the theology, but in the Christian identity of some evangelicals, in particular. The Ecclesiantics thread seems to suggest, for example, that for many Methodists, but by no means all, being "anti-PSA" (whatever that might mean) is seen as a component of Methodist identity. And some posters have spoken of their struggle to establish a Christian identity that excludes PSA, for reasons that were clearly compelling to them.

In an analogous way, perhaps, ISTM that Orthodox shipmates construct a distinctive Christian identity round the differences between western and eastern understandings of the Fall, [original] sin, and the relationship of Christ's death to the whole of his incarnation. Do "PSA Christians" (and by that I don't mean to imply that they reject or don't give a place to other perspectives on Christ's work) organize their sense of who they are - the people their faith makes them - around their understanding of PSA?

I'm very interested in this, and thought a new thread might be useful.

I don't think (but who am I to say?) it's helpful to pursue questions here as to whether PSA actually is a doctrine, theory, model, metaphor, trope, simile, discourse, or what have you. That seems to be happening quite satisfactorily elsewhere!

Maybe if people simply offered an outline understanding of what they take PSA to be as a component of the Christian faith as they see it we might open up a new line of discussion on it that doesn't get deadlocked, even in very interesting ways.

Maybe, too, if people could touch on why a Christianity with or without PSA seems not to be one they can espouse - bearing in mind that this is clearly really sensitive ground - we might actually get some sort of dialogue going.

What role does a PSA understanding of the atonement play in people's construction of their Christian identities? Why is it such a sensitive topic?

[ 16. December 2010, 13:10: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting new thread with a different slant on the topic, Psyduck.

I'm fairly ambivalent about PSA these days but it was certainly a shibboleth with me in my more full-on evangelical days.

I suspect the reason is that, according to a certain evangelical mindset, anything less than full-blooded PSA somehow minimises the seriousness of sin and opens up the door to a 'works righteousness'. One reason, I suspect, why Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones of Westminster Chapel fame apparently doubted the reality of CS Lewis's conversion as Lewis was squeamish about PSA, and indeed unwilling to espouse any one particular atonement theory (trope, metaphor etc) over any other.

To evangelicals, like John Stott, PSA is a non-negotiable. For them it summarises the essence of the Gospel. Hence the value placed upon it.

Any view that doesn't take PSA seriously must, therefore, be seriously flawed and betokens a misunderstanding of the gospel of grace. That's how the argument runs.

I know. I was there.

And there's a residual element of that with me. However rational and objective I try to be about the whole thing there's still that nagging sense that to renege upon PSA is somehow to renege upon the Gospel itself.

I daresay there are parallel shibboleths in the fundamentalist espousal of scriptural inerrancy. If the Bible is wrong at one point then it must undermine the whole. That's essentially the argument.

So, by analogy, if you take out PSA you end up with a Saviour who cannot save for the wrath of God remains unsatisfied and unatoned for.

That's why it's such a big deal to many people. Like it or not.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel - thanks for that.
quote:
And there's a residual element of that with me. However rational and objective I try to be about the whole thing there's still that nagging sense that to renege upon PSA is somehow to renege upon the Gospel itself.

... if you take out PSA you end up with a Saviour who cannot save for the wrath of God remains unsatisfied and unatoned for.

I've certainly heard people say that sort of thing. I wasn't brought up with PSA as a doctrine, and I would be in my teens when I first became aware of it - though oddly enough the sacrificial themes circling round the cross were familiar to me from childhood.

I can rationalize that to hold PSA - and other doctrines seem to have a comparable power to console (election, the "comfortable doctrine" was such apparently, in early C19 Scotland)- must offer a particular kind of stability to one's faith, which must be hard to relinquish. I've never been there, though.

[ 30. June 2010, 21:36: Message edited by: Psyduck ]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the circles I grew up in (including the Baptist schools I went to), PSA was about as non-negotiable as the Trinity. I can't say that I understand why. In some cases, people seemed to believe that to deny PSA either denied the seriousness of sin (and hence a need for salvation) or failed to adequately express the depths of God's love for us. The second of those two I can sympathize with, as it has strong psychological components as well as faith commitments.

The centrality of PSA was enshrined in the very conversion process. In order to be "saved," you had to first admit you were a sinner deserving eternal hell. Then you had to believe Jesus died for your sin (usually explained in PSA terms, which were already implied in the "sinner deserving eternal hell" bit) and ask him to forgive you for your sin. Then you had to commit your life to him, with some public sign like baptism or confessing it publicly. "Believe with your heart and confess with your mouth..." was the biblical basis for that.

Take away PSA, and one's salvation comes into question because the terms of one's conversion are changed.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive my ignorance, Psyduck, but I'd always been led to believe that PSA was the default Reformed or Calvinist position. Perhaps because such Calvinism that existed in the generally Armininian circles in which I moved came from a particular enthusiastic end of the Baptists and Brethren - who tended to be more Calvinistic than the Wesleyan/Holiness influenced Pentecostals.

Essentially, the restorationist 'house-churches' with which I was involved were an amalgamation of influences from independent evangelicalism per se.

I was listening to a recording of Paradise Lost the other day and was struck by how PSA in tone 'the Argument' that introduced Book Three (I think it was) sounded. Not that Milton can be taken as a representative of Reformed Puritan views per se ... he was pretty Arian in effect.

I suppose, however you cut it, then it's difficult to get around the substitutionary element ... it's whether it's 'penal' or not is where the rub lies. As has been rehearsed on other threads.

I'm interested in this identity thing, though. I'd suggest that differences in eschatology, pneumatology and church government aside, PSA was the singlemost important uniting feature when it came to pan-evangelical fellowship and co-operation. It was almost a 'given' and was generally never challenged or questioned.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

What Churchgeek said. It was generally believed that PSA was the sole basis of our salvation. So to question it would be to undermine any sense that we could be saved.

What Churchgeek describes is, once again, very much my own experience. Even though I've broadened out in my approach it's still there, niggling away.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Gamaliel:
quote:
Forgive my ignorance, Psyduck, but I'd always been led to believe that PSA was the default Reformed or Calvinist position. Perhaps because such Calvinism that existed in the generally Armininian circles in which I moved came from a particular enthusiastic end of the Baptists and Brethren - who tended to be more Calvinistic than the Wesleyan/Holiness influenced Pentecostals.

Indeed - and of course it's the official doctrine of the Westminster Confession, but the huge convulsion that John MacLeod Campbell's trial and deposition in 1831 effected theologically - basically kicking off the theological nineteenth century in Scotland - radically modified atonement thinking certainly in the lowlands.

And as for me - well, I was brought up a Welsh-speaking Welsh Congregationalist, in a liberal tradition and congregation, under a Barthian-influenced (but also P T Forsyth influenced) ministry. I'm pretty sure that my abiding fondness for Barth's "classical" doctrine of election is due to what I imbibed, subliminally, as a child.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a very good question and I hope that it may help me work out my discomfort with those who stress PSA.

Although I was brought up in a tradition that believed in PSA I never found it central to faith. I came to view the metaphor (the little I bothered to understand) as useful for people from 1st century Judaism but quite alien to western culture and therefore a barrier to the Gospel.
I do go to churches where PSA is expounded and find myself thinking 'this is all gobbledegook for the average punter' and 'it is confusing even for the faithful'.

For a lot of churches the Good News can only be seen as good by first setting the scene with the Bad News. PSA seems to set a framework to allow this Bad News/Good News contrast which seems like a distortion of the Gospel to me.

Comments welcome. How can non-PSA Christians relate to PSA Christians?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually we Orthodoxen do not create a Christian identity out of being different from Western Christians. Our identity is tied to the beliefs of our forebears. While we wish y'all would see the light, so to speak, and stop being so wrong about things you disagree with us about, we don't create our identity from our difference with you. That's rather arrogant on your part, fondly imagining that we need you (or our differences from you) to have a Christian identity, if that's what you mean.

If it seems like we talk a lot about places where our beliefs differ from yours, it's probably because it's the differences that are interesting, and that are likely to be the places where arguments are generated.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
It was generally believed that PSA was the sole basis of our salvation. So to question it would be to undermine any sense that we could be saved.

I don't think you have to agree with the first sentence to agree with the second.

All my life I've been taught that the gospel = Jesus.

Jesus + or Jesus - is not the gospel.

Passages like this are quoted:

quote:
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
Galatians 1: 6-9

So...

1. This is not just about PSA. (And I've no idea how many times psyduck needs to be told this.) If anything fundamental is either added to or taken away from the gospel then you'll find the same reaction. I think Paul's reaction was a fairly strong one too.

2. Whether or not PSA is a fundamental to the gospel is an entirely legitimate question. Indeed what is fundamental to the gospel is another fair question. There are / have been plenty of threads on the ship about that. However, if you think PSA is fundamental to the gospel is it really surprising that you kick up a fuss when it is rejected?

(Yet again I want to stress that doesn't mean that PSA is the only fundamental to the gospel - there are others too - but it is one of them.)

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me the issue is about the basis of forgiveness and therefore relationship with God.
On the CV thread, it was often asserted that God can forgive whomever he likes and does so. He doesn't need a reason or basis. The consequence was really a universallist gospel.
On the other hand, if God's forgiveness is extended on the basis of the fact that the cross deals with sin, one has a different scenario altogether. One must show acceptance of his offer by repentance now. Repentance, though, touches our human pride. It is a big ask.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
To me the issue is about the basis of forgiveness and therefore relationship with God.
On the CV thread, it was often asserted that God can forgive whomever he likes and does so. He doesn't need a reason or basis. The consequence was really a universallist gospel.
On the other hand, if God's forgiveness is extended on the basis of the fact that the cross deals with sin, one has a different scenario altogether.

Not necessarily. I know universalists who think that it is by Christ's death that our sins are remitted, and yet the remission of sins is for all, and not just believers in certain theological tenets. Not all universalists think the Cross is irrelevant to God's forgiveness of our sins.

--------------------

Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to grow up as a Christian without any understanding of any model of the atonement. It was only when I discovered in my late teens that different Christian denominations believed different theologies that I became interested in studying theology, and in particular in studying systems of salvation.

For me, as I studied them all together, comparing their relative merits, the various models of the atonement were always pretty much on par (except for the moral influence view that Christ killed himself to make us love him, which I dismissed out of hand as a non-contender).

As I weighed the merits of the various theories, I concluded they all had pretty similar exegetical merit - they all could point to about the same number of supporting biblical passages. I also decided PSA had some logical issues, it struggled to work logically as a theory.

I decided to try to extrapolate backward from the Church Fathers, to look to the early post-biblical Christian writers to see what their model of the atonement was. I also continued to study the bible and modern scholarship on the subject. These lines of study both, independently yet around the same time, led me to dismiss all the different theories of the atonement I was looking at as invalid. As I continued these studies I realized I'd been over hasty in my earlier dismissal as the Moral Influence model as being without merit in any of its variants, and that the bible and the church fathers both pointed to a model that revolved around moral transformation.

Today I see PSA as being a controlling part of a lot of people's theologies. Since I now see it as an incorrect and illogical atonement theory, I try to convince people of this and encourage adoption of the original Christian model of Moral Transformation.

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr Richard Turnbull places PSA as being at the core of Evangelical identity, along with scriptural authority, relationship with Jesus and mission.
Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

tomsk:
quote:
Dr Richard Turnbull places PSA as being at the core of Evangelical identity, along with scriptural authority, relationship with Jesus and mission.
Thanks for that. So:
1) On what grounds does he say that - apart from that evangelicals believe it, that is! Or, to put it slightly differently -
2) What would happen if you took out PSA and only worked with scriptural authority, relationship with Jesus and mission?

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Sorry to double-post! [Hot and Hormonal] TANGENT// (probably!) Starlight:
quote:
(except for the moral influence view that Christ killed himself to make us love him, which I dismissed out of hand as a non-contender).
I'm not sure how you're using the definite article there. Can I take it that you're not equating "moral influence" atonement as such with "the view that Christ killed himself to make us love him"? But if you are speaking of a moral influence view that "view that Christ killed himself to make us love him" - I've never come across such a formulation!

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Starlight: I also decided PSA had some logical issues, it struggled to work logically as a theory
Oh really? please demonstrate.

Regarding universalism MT, If you want to wade through the CV thread, there was an extensive discussion between JS and JJ about this point.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Hold on a second, Jamat.
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starlight: I also decided PSA had some logical issues, it struggled to work logically as a theory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh really? please demonstrate.

OK, so people have problems with the logic of PSA. I do. But this isn't about that. This is about why people feel so strongly about PSA - for or against. ISTM that you feel very strongly that a passing observation about the logic of PSA is something you have to step in and defend against, very quickly. I don't understand that, when that isn't what we're talking about.

But what we are talking about, ISTM, is why people feel as strongly as that about PSA.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Regarding universalism MT, If you want to wade through the CV thread, there was an extensive discussion between JS and JJ about this point.

Did they speak to what I said? If so you had no excuse for what you said. If not, then what I said adds to the discussion.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

And yes, I started a small possible tangent of my own, a few posts up!

But my thinking there was that this was a thread about atonement - narrowly, PSA - in the context of people's Christian identities, and it might be interesting to hear why a particular variant of Moral Influence was discarded by Starlight (especially when other variants grew to be important components of Starlight's thinking.)

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Johnny S said, plus a bit more. The people you're talking about are generally quite keen on doctrine. If you attacked another of their doctrines you'd get another harsh response.

There's a bit more to it than that. Firstly, the cross and atonement are such an important subject area that people are always going to be on a hair trigger when talking about them. Secondly, PSA is seen as a doctrine that is under attack at the moment. Steve Chalke's 'Lost Message of Jesus' was fine and made me go [Snore] but others got het up about it. However, how many churches do you know that change the words to Townend's 'In Christ Alone' right now? How many threads appear on here questioning whether PSA is an evil, contorted doctrine?! As a doctrine that is perceived to be under attack, PSA gets very staunchly defended.

Anyway, I thought it was homosexuality that was meant to be the uniquely defining doctrine with which evangelicals obsessively got their knickers in a twist. Make your minds up guys, which is it to be?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Dinghy Sailor:
quote:
What Johnny S said, plus a bit more. The people you're talking about are generally quite keen on doctrine.

And nobody else is?
quote:
If you attacked another of their doctrines you'd get another harsh response.
Why? Why does a questioning response need to be construed as an "attack"? Why, when it's a case of other Christians seeing things differently, does the response have to be so along-the-line defensive? And - is it? I see lots of PSA Christians who seem to be able to discuss and defend PSA quite robustly without insinuating this kind of thing.
quote:

There's a bit more to it than that. Firstly, the cross and atonement are such an important subject area

Indeed. No disagreement about that...
quote:
that people are always going to be on a hair trigger when talking about them.
Again - why?

And again - is that always true?

quote:
Secondly, PSA is seen as a doctrine that is under attack at the moment.
I don't understand the qualification "at the moment". PSA is always under attack, just like the doctrine of Transubstantiation, or the doctrine that Scripture isn't inerrant. And yes, that's a doctrine. (Or part of one.) Are you alleging a conspiracy?
quote:

[QUOTE] how many churches do you know that change the words to Townend's 'In Christ Alone' right now?

A comparable question might be how many churches change words of hymns in order to put them into their hymnbooks. A lot, I suspect. Between CH3 and CH4, we changed the words of "All my hope on God is founded" because some people didn't like "Me through change and chance he guideth." Presumebly they weren't quantum physicists. And I object to their change. But that's what happens.

quote:
How many threads appear on here questioning whether PSA is an evil, contorted doctrine?! As a doctrine that is perceived to be under attack, PSA gets very staunchly defended.
Well this one doesn't. Neither did the last one I launched.

quote:
Anyway, I thought it was homosexuality that was meant to be the uniquely defining doctrine with which evangelicals obsessively got their knickers in a twist. Make your minds up guys, which is it to be?

Doesn't that, on re-reading it, quite honestly sound a bit to you like the expression of a persecution complex?

Why is it apparently so threatening to you that lots and lots of Christians don't hold PSA? And if it's OK to feel threatened on grounds like these, what about Christians who have been given to believe that their Christianity is inadequate because they don't believe in PSA?

And is that really a helpful way in which to conduct a theological discussion?
What I personally am after here is the psychology - on both sides - of personal and identity investment, which in some cases seems to be huge.

[ 01. July 2010, 10:19: Message edited by: Psyduck ]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMO the reason people feel so strongly against PSA is because it seems to them to call the character / nature of God into question.

And that is the be all and end all. In the last analysis it is not whether or not I believe in God, but what kind of a God do I believe in.

[ 01. July 2010, 10:30: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I can see that, shamwari - but I wonder just why a Christian God who is understood in the light of other perspectives is just quite so deficient. Or even, apparently, unrecognizable as the Christ-revealed God at all... [Confused]

--------------------

Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
Can I take it that you're not equating "moral influence" atonement as such with "the view that Christ killed himself to make us love him"? But if you are speaking of a moral influence view that "view that Christ killed himself to make us love him" - I've never come across such a formulation!
it might be interesting to hear why a particular variant of Moral Influence was discarded by Starlight (especially when other variants grew to be important components of Starlight's thinking.)

Once upon a time, I had an initial ignorance of atonement theories, and became interested in learning about different theories. In order to do so I read whatever literature came most easily to hand on the subject. Much of that was quite popular-evangelical stuff. The understanding of the Moral Exemplar model I got from that literature was very badly flawed. That understanding was that Moral Exemplar taught "Jesus killed himself to inspire us to love him" and that the Moral Exemplar model had been invented by Abelard.

I was later to find that this was a terrible straw man of the Moral models of the atonement, and that Moral models of the atonement had been around long before Abelard. Apparently this misconstrual of the Moral Exemplar theory has been around a long time - Hastings Rashdall published in 1915 an excellent work on the atonement which had an appendix attacking exactly this straw man of the Moral view.

Probably the Moral view of the atonement is widely misconstrued due to insufficient people advocating it in popular circles. Unless more people teach it and make very clear what their definition of it is, it will not be enough to overturn the atleast a century old idea that the moral exemplar is nothing more than totally untentantable theory of Christ's suicide inspiring love. The atonement theory of moral transformation was very popular among German liberal scholars of the 19th century (including Kant), but its only significant English advocate has been Rashdall.

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dinghy Sailor:
quote:
What Johnny S said, plus a bit more. The people you're talking about are generally quite keen on doctrine.

And nobody else is?
Take a look at the plurality of evo statements of faith and make up your own mind on their eagerness for this sort of stuff.

quote:
quote:
If you attacked another of their doctrines you'd get another harsh response.
Why? Why does a questioning response need to be construed as an "attack"? Why, when it's a case of other Christians seeing things differently, does the response have to be so along-the-line defensive? And - is it? I see lots of PSA Christians who seem to be able to discuss and defend PSA quite robustly without insinuating this kind of thing.
I thought this thread was about how you thought people were very closely attached to PSA as part of their identity, precisely because they defended it vigorously like they felt they were under attack.

quote:
quote:
There's a bit more to it than that. Firstly, the cross and atonement are such an important subject area
Indeed. No disagreement about that...
quote:
that people are always going to be on a hair trigger when talking about them.
Again - why?

For the same reason as why people get more serious about voting in a general election than they do about deciding whether to buy Tetley or Typhoo tea: it's a more serious issue so the consequences are greater.

quote:
quote:
Secondly, PSA is seen as a doctrine that is under attack at the moment.
I don't understand the qualification "at the moment". PSA is always under attack, just like the doctrine of Transubstantiation, or the doctrine that Scripture isn't inerrant. And yes, that's a doctrine. (Or part of one.)
Like it or not, that's the perception. It could be because people's lack of understanding of their historical context but that's the perception. You asked about what these people think, I'm telling you what they think.

quote:
quote:

Doesn't that, on re-reading it, quite honestly sound a bit to you like the expression of a persecution complex?
Not at all. In fact, this thread makes a pleasant change from the endless "Why are evangelicals so obsessed about sex" discussions. However, I'll be watching to make sure you never use that line in future - I think you've disqualified yourself by choosing PSA as your evangelical obsession of choice.

quote:
Why is it apparently so threatening to you that lots and lots of Christians don't hold PSA?
Who said I felt threatened? I was trying to answer your question and tell you what people believe.

Psyduck, I have never made this personal - if you reread the last thread carefully you'll see that I made an effort not to make it appear personal wheareas you were the one throwing around terms like "imbecilic" and "disreputable". I've posted in good faith and I'm interested in having a discussion. If you don't like that, call me to hell and stop accusing me of bad faith, a persecution complex or a "conspiracy theory", whatever that may be. Now, let's have a discussion shall we?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
IMO the reason people feel so strongly against PSA is because it seems to them to call the character / nature of God into question.

And that is the be all and end all. In the last analysis it is not whether or not I believe in God, but what kind of a God do I believe in.

You have a point. A lot of the annoyance shown towards PSA deniers stems, I believe, from the idea that they are putting their personal preconception of God before the God that is revealed to them in the bible. The debate then becomes one of scriptural authority and of here we get our idea of God, rather than just one over PSA.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Dinghy Sailor:
quote:
However, I'll be watching to make sure you never use that line in future - I think you've disqualified yourself by choosing PSA as your evangelical obsession of choice.

Excuse me? Would you like to retract that? Or would you like me to refer you to the Purgatory guidelines again? Or something?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But what we are talking about, ISTM, is why people feel as strongly as that about PSA.

I enjoy reading threads about PSA because opposition to it is practically the whole basis of the New Church. Swedenborg wrote in 1771:
quote:
Believing that the Lord's suffering on the cross was redemption itself is a fundamental error on the part of the church. That error, along with the error about three divine Persons from eternity, has ruined the whole church to the point that there is nothing spiritual left in it anymore. There is no topic that fills more books by orthodox theologians today, that is more intensely taught and aired in lecture halls, or that is more frequently preached and pronounced from the pulpit than the following: God the Father was angry at the human race, so he not only moved us all away from himself but locked us into a universal damnation and cut off communication with us. Nevertheless, because he is gracious, he either convinced or goaded his Son to come down to take a limited damnation on himself and ritually purge the Father's anger. This was the only way the Father could look on the human race with any favor. So this was in fact done by the Son. For example, in taking on our damnation, the Son let the Jews whip him, spit in his face, and then crucify him like someone accursed of God (Deuteronomy 21:23). After that happened the Father was appeased, and out of love for his Son he retracted the damnation, but only from those for whom the Son would intercede. Therefore the Son became a Mediator to the Father for all time.
[2] These ideas, and others like them, resound in churches today and reverberate off the walls like an echo from a forest, filling the ears of all who are there. Surely, though, everyone with decent reasoning enlightened by the Word can see that God is compassion and mercy itself. He is absolute love and absolute goodness - these qualities are his essence. It is a contradiction to say that compassion itself or absolute goodness could look at the human race with anger and lock us all into damnation, and still keep its divine essence. Attitudes and actions of that kind belong to a wicked person, not a virtuous one. They belong to a spirit from hell, not an angel of heaven. It is horrendous to attribute them to God.
[3] If you investigate what caused these ideas, you find this: People have taken the suffering on the cross to be redemption itself. The ideas above have flowed from this idea the way one falsity flows from another in an unbroken chain. All you get from a vinegar bottle is vinegar. All you get from an insane mind is insanity.
Any inference leads to a series of related propositions. These are latent within the original inference and come forth from it, one after the other. This idea, that the suffering on the cross was redemption, has the capacity to yield more and more ideas that are offensive and disgraceful to God, until Isaiah's prophecy comes to pass:
The priest and the prophet have gone astray because of beer; they stagger in their judgment. All the tables are full of the vomit they cast forth. (Isaiah 28:7, 8)
(Emanuel Swedenborg, True Christianity 132, published in Amsterdam in 1771)

Curiously, New Church congregants often assert that no one believes in PSA anymore, and I have to show them threads like this one on the Ship to convince them that people do.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Dinghy Sailor: OK- and how about we make that "something" a discussion. I don't know why we are reading each other's posts in ways which the other professes not to mean them. I'm willing to back up. But I really don't like being threatened, and you did just threaten me. I'll walk away from it if you will.

[ 01. July 2010, 10:57: Message edited by: Psyduck ]

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Freddy:
quote:
I enjoy reading threads about PSA because opposition to it is practically the whole basis of the New Church.
Should have thought of that for the OP! That's exactly what I mean by a Christian identity with PSA - or its repudiation - as an important part of its construction.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

Last time you referred to the guidelines you said this,
quote:
I refer you to the Purg. Guidelines about only posting if you don’t mind being challenged.
I didn't mind being challenged so that was you making a wrong judgement. I'll apologise for my more recent wording and assume that you've apologised for jumping to conclusions earlier.

Let me reword:

quote:
This should have been posted by me:
Many people frequently posit that conservative and/or evangelical Christians are "obsessed about sex". However, recently on the Ship, a spate of threads have arisen which posit that actually, PSA is the uniquely sensitive issue of which evangelicals and conservatives are disproportionately mindful.

These two ideas are mutually exclusive: you can be disproportionately protective of one or the other but not both - in that case you're just generally protective of your doctrine.

Since Psyduck has been the major proponent of these recent threads, I am delighted to hear that he shall never talk about other Christians being obsessed by sex, since that would invalidate the case he's been making on the recent threads. I can't remember if he's used the "obsessed about sex" line before but I'm glad that he won't do it in the future.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Dinghy Sailor:
quote:
I can't remember if he's used the "obsessed about sex" line before but I'm glad that he won't do it in the future.
OK, you have to allow me a [Paranoid] and a [Roll Eyes] over that.

quote:
a spate of threads have arisen which posit that actually, PSA is the uniquely sensitive issue of which evangelicals and conservatives [I note you are collating all evangelicals under the PSA rubric] are disproportionately mindful.
Well, I only started one other, but as for this one, I'd express it like this. Affirmation of PSA does seem to be a - maybe the most - salient feature in the theological identity of many conservatives and evangelicals. It also seems to function as a criterion among some evangelicals and conservatives of a touchstone of - two separate but related things:

1) Who is "one of us" - i.e. who is "the same kind of Christian as us" and
2) Who is "a real Christian.

There are Christians - I'm one of them - who clearly affirm that people very unlike them in faith, practice and theology (like, in my case, conservative evangelicals) are real Christians, despite taking issue with them on (many) points of disagreement.

I don't think that the rest of your rewording is relevant to this thread, since I'm asking here why PSA is important in the sense of why it's a necessary, rather than a necessary sufficient, condition for being considered an evangelical Christian by some evangelical Christians.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

To expand on what I said to shamwari upthread, I think one aspect is that PSA is a well-regarded doctrine that is hard to dispute (according to the people you're talking about) that nevertheless says some things about God's character that can be difficult to swallow. This makes it a good test case of how people are developing their faith. People who subscribe to PSA are attempting to live under scripture whereas people who don't subscribe are making God in their own image.

All of this is still to be take with a sackful of salt stemming from my (and JS's) previous comment: the people you're talking about (evangelicals and conservatives, to use my shorthand) are very protective of doctrine in general.

quote:
There are Christians - I'm one of them - who clearly affirm that people very unlike them in faith, practice and theology (like, in my case, conservative evangelicals) are real Christians, despite taking issue with them on (many) points of disagreement.

Good to hear it. So am I.

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why? Why does a questioning response need to be construed as an "attack"? Why, when it's a case of other Christians seeing things differently, does the response have to be so along-the-line defensive?

That is a really good question. And one that frustrates me too over this issue.

I don't think that it can be disputed that the NT as a whole, and the later letters in particular, that one of the major issues is that of warning about false teachers.

Now, taking that as a self-evident truth - personally I don't see how can it be disputed but feel free to disagree if you want to - I would think the following two principles apply:

1. It is not an 'attack' to question someone else's theology. We don't have to be all defensive, if someone asks questions we should have the humility to respond graciously and even be prepared to admit that we might be wrong. Just because there is such a category as 'false teacher' doesn't mean that they lurk under every bush nor does it mean that everyone I disagree with is one.

2. We shouldn't be surprised when other Christians try to establish boundaries over what it means to be a Christian - it is only natural if we take the warnings about false teachers seriously.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Freddy:
quote:
I enjoy reading threads about PSA because opposition to it is practically the whole basis of the New Church.
Should have thought of that for the OP! That's exactly what I mean by a Christian identity with PSA - or its repudiation - as an important part of its construction.
That's what I thought of immediately when I read the OP.

I'm not thinking that many will agree with our particular denominational stance, but I doubt that we are the only denomination whose identity is strongly bound up with PSA one way or another.

So the OP is right on target for me. Thanks!

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Did they speak to what I said? If so you had no excuse for what you said. If not, then what I said adds to the discussion.
Mousethief, indeed you are right, I was the one who espoused exactly the position which you mentioned.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:
quote:

Mousethief, indeed you are right, I was the one who espoused exactly the position which you mentioned.
Paisano!

--------------------

tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psyduck

1) On what grounds does he say that - apart from that evangelicals believe it, that is! Or, to put it slightly differently -
2) What would happen if you took out PSA and only worked with scriptural authority, relationship with Jesus and mission?

Sorry, can't be much help as I only borrowed his book. I think, among other things, its centrality to Evangelical Anglicanism is tied up with the Reformed origins of the CofE, and particularly its Puritan heritage. I think it's more widely seen as the correct interpretation of scripture, so if you ditch it you may be ditching scriptural authority too (which would be really bad), presumably the relationship with Jesus would be wrongly understood too.

Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Freddy:
quote:
That's what I thought of immediately when I read the OP.

I'm not thinking that many will agree with our particular denominational stance, but I doubt that we are the only denomination whose identity is strongly bound up with PSA one way or another.

So the OP is right on target for me. Thanks!

That's interesting - I've been seeing internet ads for the New Church (sponsored link style ads, no graphics) that say just that. Something like "Jesus saves, but not by appeasing an angry father or paying for your sins" - I'm probably not quoting it exactly.

(Hey, this is my 5000th post! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:
quote:

Paisano!
I have always considered you so [Biased]

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
quote:

Was anything stated or implied to the contrary?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yes.

--------------------

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Freddy:
quote:
I enjoy reading threads about PSA because opposition to it is practically the whole basis of the New Church. Swedenborg...
It occurs to me - is it possible that Swedenborg's Swedish background is in play here in a particular way? I presume that Swedish Lutheranism had originally been steeped in Luther's CV understanding of the Atonement. Aulen, in Christus Victor, seems to me among other things to be trying to restore a lost Scandinavian heritage. I don't know if this is the case, but I wonder if Swedenborg's reaction against PSA was connected with either direct experience, or more likely some sort of folk-memory, of the encroachment of PSA thought on Scandinavian theology after the first generations of Lutheranism - which I presume would be a C17, not a C18 development? (Aulen may say something about this - time to update my CV!!! [Biased] )

--------------------

jrrt01
Shipmate
# 11264

- Posted      Profile for jrrt01         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just musing about faith and identity in general. Here are some thoughts - I'm not putting them out as 'this is right' - more, 'this might be interesting, can anyone see any truth in this, or am I barking up the wrong tree?'

• All of us have multiple identities through which we belong to groups. Any particular identity is based on a whole network of associated practices; beliefs; ideas; rituals etc.
  • A large part of any identity may be tacit identity: that is, it is not explicit or even conscious.
  • Defining who is in the group depends upon boundaries.
    Some groups do have fairly definable boundaries (gender; whether you are a ‘bachelor’). However, even here the boundaries are less rigid than may appear (transgender individuals; someone who has entered into a civil partnership).
  • Many groups or identities have no clear boundaries (who belongs to the Church of England? Everyone in England? Those who attend occasionally? Those baptised in the CoE? Those on the electoral roll? Those who attend regularly? Those who are ‘real Christians’?).
  • Controversies and conflict arise when something associated with an identity is challenged. This challenge may be deliberate or not; it may be a challenge to an explicit part of the identity or to an element of the tacit identity. At this point, the element that is challenged can function as a symbol of the entire identity.
  • These elements then act as what have ben called boundary markers, oriIdentity symbols, or badges of identity. Whatever you call it, the element acts as an outward and visible sign of the inward ‘whole’ of the identity.
  • Religious controversies begin when an element of an identity is challenged. This can be an element which is practice (which day is Easter? Can we use icons?); which is linguistic (can we say ‘theotokos’ of Mary?); which is cognitive (is PSA the true model of the atonement) and of course all of these may overlap with others.
  • The element attacked then stands for the whole of the identity. It becomes fiercely defended (assuming the underlying identity is perceived as important) in the same way that an army will fight to retain or regain its standard.
  • So much energy and emotion may be invested in this that those involved will not be able or willing to dissociate the symbol from the underlying identity. The controversy will therefore last for the lifetime of those involved.
  • The group itself may be strengthened by the challenge and feed off the challenge: cf Social Identity Theory. This may create a snowball effect.
  • If there is a group which sustains itself based on that identity, the identity symbol may remain as such from then on (cf Orthodox and icons). It has become an explicit part of the identity.
  • On the other hand, subsequent generations may decide that the identity symbol isn’t essential to the identity after all, and it fades in power and significance into obscurity (are wedding rings bad?).
  • A third possibility is that, if the challenge disappears, then the identity symbol may appear to fade from view over time. However, it may remain as a tacit part of the identity and may be revived again if the challenge is repeated (cf the difficulty reconciling the Orthodox and RC churches).
  • PSA has become an identity symbol/marker for a large swathe of evangelicalism. To attack PSA effectively becomes an attack on the whole identity of evangelicalism. PSA was always fairly explicitly part of the evangelical stream.
  • Homosexuality has become another identity symbol for parts of evangelicalism. Again, the 'right' attitude to homosexuality stands for the whole.
  • Other strands/denominations/traditions will have their own symbols which will be as vigorously defended, again often to the bemusement of those not in that group.
  • This makes religious debate extremely hard - you are not criticising the logic of one model/theory - you are (socially and emotionally) attacking their entire religious identity.

What do people think?

JT

Posts: 62 | From: Manchester | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I think that's a smorgasbord of really helpful articulations, with a helpful connecting thread.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
It occurs to me - is it possible that Swedenborg's Swedish background is in play here in a particular way?

Good question. I don't really know.

My understanding is that PSA was the dominant theme not only in 18th century Swedish Lutheran theology, but also in all of the other protestant countries, notably England and Holland where he spent a good deal of his time.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Surely, though, everyone with decent reasoning enlightened by the Word can see that God is compassion and mercy itself. He is absolute love and absolute goodness - these qualities are his essence. It is a contradiction to say that compassion itself or absolute goodness could look at the human race with anger and lock us all into damnation, and still keep its divine essence. Attitudes and actions of that kind belong to a wicked person, not a virtuous one."

Swedenborg

Well said.

[Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
"Surely, though, everyone with decent reasoning enlightened by the Word can see that God is compassion and mercy itself. He is absolute love and absolute goodness - these qualities are his essence. It is a contradiction to say that compassion itself or absolute goodness could look at the human race with anger and lock us all into damnation, and still keep its divine essence. Attitudes and actions of that kind belong to a wicked person, not a virtuous one."

Swedenborg

Well said.

[Overused]

It may have been "well said", but it is not scripturally accurate.

Any argument that starts with words similar to "Surely, though, everyone with decent reasoning enlightened by the Word can see..." should be dismissed out of hand. Such an opening is tantamount to saying "You are an idiot if you don't believe what I do."

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Sharkshooter:
quote:
It may have been "well said", but it is not scripturally accurate.

So what is meant by "scripturally accurate"?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016