homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brazil and Bulgar Wheat burgers
serves 4, suitable for freezing

2 tbsp oil
125g/4oz onion chopped finely
2 celery sticks, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic crushed
125g/4oz bulgar wheat
250g/8oz Brazil nuts, ground coarsely
300ml/½pt vegetable stock
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 egg (size 1) beaten

1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, celery and garlic and sauté until soft. Add the bulgar wheat and nuts and sauté until lightly golden. Add the stock and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
  2. Stir in the tomato purée, parsley, herbs and beaten egg, season generously with salt and pepper and leave until cool enough to handle.
  3. Shape into 4 oval 'burgers', place on a greased baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6, for 15-20 minutes, until heated through.
  4. Transfer the burgers to a warmed serving dish and accompany with the orange sauce and courgettes.

Orange Sauce

25g/1oz butter
25g/1oz onion or shallot, chopped finely
1 tbsp plain flour
150ml/¼pt vegetable stock
grated rind and juice of large orange
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion or shallot and sauté until golden. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the stock, ornage rind and juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my end-of-month recipies is a cheese sauce with cooked pasta, a tin of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn. Top with nuts or breadcrumbs and bake until nice and hot, and crunchy on top.

We call it 'Standby' but maybe we should rename it 'Credit Crunch'!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just posting this because I made it tonight out of what we happened to have lying around and it was remarkably and unexpectedly tasty.

Had to find some way of serving a couple of leeks - which I don't really like normally but, strangely, they were the only green vegetable our local scotmid had yesterday.

Cut them in rings and sauted them gently in a wee bit of butter with salt and pepper, set them aside in the warm, then just before we ate warmed them them through with a couple of teaspoons of greek yoghurt and a smidge of dijon mustard.

Really, really nice.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a leek recipe we were cooked by German shipmate Shoewoman.

Trim and wash leeks, but don't slice them up. Cook them until they are a little soft, then drain. Wrap slices of ham around each leek, pour cheese sauce over them, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Cook in the oven until the dish is hot and the cheese is browned.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know how one can make a crustless quiche recipe from a crusted one? I'm about to go seriously low carb and love any kind of quiche.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Does anyone know how one can make a crustless quiche recipe from a crusted one? I'm about to go seriously low carb and love any kind of quiche.

I would butter (oil, whatever) the pan well, possibly dust with something like a nice finely-grated parmesan cheese, put in the filling and bake as usual. I've put extra filling into ramekins this way, it seems to work fine.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks! That sounds like it would work. I never thought about Parmesan (yum!). Another thing I thought about is that quiche is always set better the second day. So I might bake it in the evening then eat it the next day.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hereis a Slimming World "quiche" recipe. I've never made one, as they seem to be a little unappetising, but it may give you some ideas. They don't appear to add anything in place of the crust - just cook the filling without the pastry. Maybe that's not what you had in mind.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it is a bit like a baked tortilla, in the Spanish sense of the word.

Yummy!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Hereis a Slimming World "quiche" recipe. I've never made one, as they seem to be a little unappetising, but it may give you some ideas. They don't appear to add anything in place of the crust - just cook the filling without the pastry. Maybe that's not what you had in mind.

I have made the corned beef "Quiche" as it seems to be a staple of Fat Fighters. It needs to be well salted and a strong cheese put over the top (if you are not following SW plan then lots of cheese over the top! [Big Grin] )

It can also be made using salmon and brocolli, and I think you mush the salmon up into the eggy mixture and then bake. [Eek!]

(If I can find my SW cookery book, I will post the fish version).

(Edited because I can't spell today)

[ 22. January 2009, 14:19: Message edited by: Agent Smith ]

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Trim and wash leeks, but don't slice them up. Cook them until they are a little soft, then drain. Wrap slices of ham around each leek, pour cheese sauce over them, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Cook in the oven until the dish is hot and the cheese is browned.

Interesting that you got that recipe from a German, (being Welsh yourself,) for I've always known that dish as 'St David's Day Bake' and assumed it was a traditional Welsh recipe!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for UK people - I have a recipe book, about 15 years old that suggests using size 2 eggs. What are the numbers used to describe the sizes of eggs over there?

Here we have 5, 6, 7, and sometimes 8 with 5 being the smallest. Using our scale 2 would probably be the size of a blackbird's rather than a hen's egg [Confused]

(this is why I usually use NZ or OZ books* - I have difficulty with the translations.)

*Though having said that Aussies use a 20ml tablespoon whereas the civilized world [Biased] uses a 15ml one.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I remember rightly a Size 2 is a medium egg - I think it went 1 - 2 - 3 with 1 being the biggest. I always just bought eggs.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Wiff Waff.

I have an old Christmas cake recipe where the eggs are described by weight (one pound - its about 6 of our number 7s) because some people used bantam (small chicken) eggs which were quite small, so that if 6 of them were used it wouldn't be enough.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were a 15 year old student, aspiring to some time-honoured profession, could I look at egg-sizing as a possibility?

"hmmm. That's quite a big one. I think I'll give it a 4."

Who does this stuff?

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
If I were a 15 year old student, aspiring to some time-honoured profession, could I look at egg-sizing as a possibility?

"hmmm. That's quite a big one. I think I'll give it a 4."

Who does this stuff?

Who does this stuff? Perhaps the people who missed ut on chicken sexing jobs. [Razz]

Eggs here seem to be sold by the weight of the dozen in the pack, eg. 700gms.

Last pack of free range organic eggs we bought had all twelve with double yolks.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fellow shippies, may I offer you a very speedy soup recipe. Well it's actually almost embarrassing calling it a recipe it's so simple. But I just made and ate it and whilst it may lack the depth that comes with a bit of onion and olive oil, it's not bad at all. And it's very healthy. Oh, and a very gorgeous green colour

Speedy Spinach (& Broccoli) Soup

Boil kettle. Whilst waiting for it to boil rinse broccoli, chop (including the stalk) and put into pan together with a good heaped teaspoon of Marigold bouillon (or other veggie stock cube of your preference). Cover with the boiling water (and possibly a bit more), bring back up to the boil then simmer for 10 mins.

During that time rinse well a bunch of spinach including stalks. Chop up and put stalks into pan. After the 10 mins is up add the leaves and simmer for a further 5 mins.

Blitz with a handblender (or in blender I suppose). Serve with a drizzle of lemon juice, a good grind of black pepper and dollop of yoghurt.

From veg to soup; hungry to ready in 15 mins flat. (And probably could even be eaten earlier if you're in a real hurry - just as long as the vegetables are soft enough to blend)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

And that soup can be added to my low carb file. [Smile]

--------------------

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I'm late to the whole "crustless quiche" discussion, but something I've done in the past is to make little crustless mini quiches (just the filling) in paper cup-cake cups - easy to keep in the fridge and grab for lunch.

[ 23. January 2009, 16:53: Message edited by: Izzybee ]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yangtze - I think crumbling in some blue cheese before blending would be good in that as well.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Also good sprinkled with breadcrumbs. I have a mix of breadcrumbs and cheese crumbs kept in the freezer specially for this, for leeks + cheese + ham is the food combination of heaven.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
I know I'm late to the whole "crustless quiche" discussion, but something I've done in the past is to make little crustless mini quiches (just the filling) in paper cup-cake cups - easy to keep in the fridge and grab for lunch.

[Smile] Not too late. That sounds like a very good idea. Thanks!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
Yangtze - I think crumbling in some blue cheese before blending would be good in that as well.

Oh that would be nice. Would probably give it some depth as well.

(But also would render it not quite so low-fat / healthy - though that may be because I'm incapable of having blue cheese in the fridge and not eating the whole thing!)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been threatening to try it for ages, on Friday we invited a couple of garlic-loving friends round and had a go at chicken with 40 cloves of garlic - you can probably smell it from wherever you are on the planet.

I stuffed the chicken with celery and some of the garlic, and parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (cue for a song?), and put the rest of the garlic cloves round the chicken in a chicken brick; it came out wonderfully juicy and flavoursome. David did absolutely magic saffron rice to go with it, and we served slices of toasted French bread on which to spread the baked garlic cloves. We'll definitely be doing that one again (the recipe came from France: the Beautiful Cookbook by Richard Olney).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
piglet, that sounds divine. What's a chicken brick, though?

While FD is in Perth next weekend for rexory's 25th celebrations, I thought I might arrange a girls' night in with a few of my friends. I then realised the challenges in providing a suitable menu.

One is vegetarian. One has just had her pancreas removed and can't eat fatty food. The other is coeliac and is lactose intolerant.

One of them drinks, one just doesn't and one disapproves.

So. No meat, no cheese, no cream, no pasta, no bread and no alcohol. I simply can't make leek and lemon risotto again, even if my vegetarian friend likes it.

I mentioned this problem to FD who said something along the lines of "oh yes, they're dyslexic and only eat doof". [Roll Eyes]

Does anyone have any ideas (apart from cancelling the whole thing and going out with people who eat)?

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
...Does anyone have any ideas (apart from cancelling the whole thing and going out with people who eat)?

Well, I could send HWMBO over by post and he'll cook a south Indian meal for you all BUT the visas might take a bit of arranging, to say nothing of the postage so how about having a go yourself?

If you make a pot of rice and a few gentle "curries" then people can pick and choose - and the great thing is that you can prepare most of it in advance as it tastes better after it has rested awhile or even overnight.

A lentil dish, a couple of different vegetable dishes, a fish dish [I hear you get great seafood in Brisbane] and possibly some store bought chapattis or cheat and use pitta bread if they are more easily available. I have posted a couple of simple and tasty fish curry recipes recently that might fit the bill.

For dessert can you buy sorbet locally? Or if you have an ice cream maker and a blender just peel and chop a couple of pineapples, whizz in a blender, add lemon juice, chill, put through ice creream maker and voila, pineapple and lemon sorbet! Fat free and delicious!

Garlic fish is delicious if you peel and crush loads of garlic, add a little spice and marinate the fish pieces in that before virtually dry frying it - YUMMY!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Having been threatening to try it for ages, on Friday we invited a couple of garlic-loving friends round and had a go at chicken with 40 cloves of garlic - you can probably smell it from wherever you are on the planet.

I stuffed the chicken with celery and some of the garlic, and parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (cue for a song?), and put the rest of the garlic cloves round the chicken in a chicken brick; it came out wonderfully juicy and flavoursome. David did absolutely magic saffron rice to go with it, and we served slices of toasted French bread on which to spread the baked garlic cloves. We'll definitely be doing that one again (the recipe came from France: the Beautiful Cookbook by Richard Olney).

That is so yummy. One of my sons does that dish regularly. 40 cloves seems excessive on first glance, but it isn't over the top in flavour. Just delicious. It's nearly 6 pm here and son, DIL and I are wondering what to do for Sunday dinner soon. We eat mostly vegetarian dishes but meat beckons tonight. That sounds lovely but there's no organic chicken in house and DIL won't eat anything else as far as chcken goes.

Possibly pasta so we can get it done before a new Dr Who episode is on ABC tonight.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
//Tangent Alert//

Nice to see you back, Clarence,my Avatar twin...the number of times I see "my" avatar, & think "When did I post here...?" and then realise it's not me, but you!

I don't know if you've been absent, or I've just not been following you around...but Hi!

//End of tangent alert//

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a certain elegance in double posting without double posting.

[Yipee]

I lurk more than I post though - and run to the recipe thread when I'm in kitchen trauma mode.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarence:

How about rice and dahl with a salad. Rose Elliot in Vegan Feasts that is completely fat free i.e. no frying of spices or onion at the start. (I will pm you the recipe if you like but for obvious reasons I am not putting it on the board) I mess around with it, adding spinach and tomato and using mixed lentils. If you serve it with rice then you get the full protein range in the meal, and you just need to add a nice salad for the main course, use a variety of salad vegetables and serve the dressing by the side.

Dessert in this case I fall back on the standby fruit salad. But for a "cream" get hold of some non-dairy single cream substitute, mix in ground almonds and a smidgen of vanilla essence and mix well. It comes out at about the constituency of double cream and is delicious.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

Thank you for the great ideas. It seems perfectly sensible to set it as a pick and choose dinner with rice: why didn't I think of that?

The cooking without fat should have come to me as well: when FD's doctor was wanting to lower FD's cholesterol we were trying to adjust diet and we were eating only vegetables and lentils cooked in water. (It didn't make any difference: turns out it was not diet related, so I gave up and started cooking with oil again).

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Realised that a lot of the Orthodox Lenten recipes might suit, so here seems a good selection largely following the stricter rules which precludes oil.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So. No meat, no cheese, no cream, no pasta, no bread and no alcohol.

Starter

Tomato soup made with passata, dash of soy sauce and a tablespoon of apple juice to take out the accidity.

Main

Baked potatoes served with sunflower marge for carbs.
Peas, preferably petitis pois cos I like them
Hot stuffed cabbage rolls.

Gravy made with veggie stockcube, thinkened with a little arrow root, and a few pinches of extra herbs.

Dessert

Melon

[ 25. January 2009, 13:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This menu assumes you want a fairly hearty winter meal. And I just realised your in brisbane. So, I'd chill the tomato soup.

[ 25. January 2009, 14:00: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go with chopped veggies, bread sticks and crisps and dippy things to start with (salsa for those who are non-dairy/fat, sour cream or a baked camembert for those who are less constrained).

I'd follow this with a veggie bean chilli with peppers, tomatoes, lentils, chick peas and kidney beans (cooked the night before and left to sit tastes best).

For dessert I'll do some plums "mulled" in cider (non alcoholic) or apple juice. Serve with soya cream substitute for the non-dairy and creme freche (sp?)for the others. Gotta love those friends who make entertaining more "challenging".

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Non-alcoholic cider [Confused]

--------------------

Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, Stowford Press do some that has less than 0.5% alcohol which tastes really quite good and Kopparberg do a non-alcoholic pear cider which I've heard good things about. They are both matured and processed so it's not quite like straight fruit juice. Some of my family are funny about alcohol but also like "grown up" drinks so decent low/no alcohol drinks are a necessity in my house.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

While FD is in Perth next weekend for rexory's 25th celebrations, I thought I might arrange a girls' night in with a few of my friends. I then realised the challenges in providing a suitable menu.

One is vegetarian. One has just had her pancreas removed and can't eat fatty food. The other is coeliac and is lactose intolerant.

So. No meat, no cheese, no cream, no pasta, no bread and no alcohol. I simply can't make leek and lemon risotto again, even if my vegetarian friend likes it.

I mentioned this problem to FD who said something along the lines of "oh yes, they're dyslexic and only eat doof". [Roll Eyes]

Does anyone have any ideas (apart from cancelling the whole thing and going out with people who eat)?

I'd suggest a crumble using our family's coeliac friendly recipe, and filled with either vegetables (most work) or fruit depending on whether you are having it for main course or dessert.

For an interesting coeliac friendly crumble topping:

Take equal quantities of
polenta/maize meal,
buckwheat flakes (yes they are gluten free despite the name, and they can be found in health food shops)
ground rice
Usually 2-3 heaped tablespoons - depends on the size of the dish.

For a sweet topping add 1-2 tbsp sugar

You might also like to add:
1-2 tbsp ground almonds (assuming no nut allergies) - particularly good in sweet crumble
1 tbsp sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp dessicated coconut
dried herbs if savoury

mix above ingredients with a fork and make a well in the centre.

Add 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil - olive is good for savoury crumble but something with a milder flavour is better for fruit crumble.

Mix together with a fork until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs (except for the seeds). Put on top of filling and bake at about 180C. For a savoury crumble, it is best to cook the filling for 30-45 minutes depending on vegetables (or in microwave) before adding the topping and cooking for about another 30 minutes. A crumble filled with stewed fruit requires about 45 minutes.

To drink, I suggest elderflower presse is a light and tasty alternative to wine. Also single variety (often locally produced) apple juice if you can get it.

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many cheeses have had all (or almost all) of the lactose fermented out, so they can be safely eaten by the lactose-intolerant - no carbs=no lactose. I was soooo happy when I figured this one out! [Big Grin]

So checking with your lactose-intolerant friend on their cheese tolerance, and the vegetarian about rennet, may be worth your time.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On cheese, I've got too many scraps of very good cheese just to throw them away (bought when feeling extravagant but evidently bought too much). Any ideas?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
On cheese, I've got too many scraps of very good cheese just to throw them away (bought when feeling extravagant but evidently bought too much). Any ideas?

Fondue - you can mix several types together and/or add the bits to a base of a cheese you have plenty of.

Crackery/breadsticky things - shred the odds and ends and bake them onto crackers or breadsticks, with one or two types of cheese per cracker.

I've also been known to use up leftover bits of cheese on pizza.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
piglet, that sounds divine. What's a chicken brick, though?

A chicken brick is a terracotta pot, unglazed on the outside, but the lower part glazed on the inside. Because the chicken's enclosed, it holds all the juices. Before you put it in the oven, you should soak the brick and lid in cold water for about half an hour to protect the clay.

I also make what I call "St. Clement's chicken" - stuff the chicken with a half each of orange and lemon and a small onion, rub the outside with salt and pepper and a little butter, sprinkle over some tarragon if you like it and the juice of the rest of the orange. Put it into a cold oven and turn it on to about 400°F and cook for about an hour and a half (more if it's a really big chicken).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

I think I have to get one of these chicken bricks. Anything that involves cooking in a terracotta pot gets me interested. Must be all those years watching Bill and Ben, the flower pot men. [Big Grin]

The weekend girls' night in may be easier. The "no fat" guest is busy writing an article against a deadline for Scripture Union and may not make it.

So that leaves me with vegetarian, no dairy and no gluten. That's a teeny tiny bit easier...

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

I'm making this terrine for a meal on Saturday.

How many days before do you think I can make it? I'd prefer Wednesday, as I have lots of time, but that seems very early. Do you think it would go off? Thursday's a possibility, but Friday's a no-no and Saturday seems too late for it to cool & for flavours to meld together..

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would slice the chicken, de-rind the bacon if necessary and prep the sausage as in steps 2 & 3 on Wednesday and refrigerate. That will save a little time when it comes to assembling and cooking, which I would do on Thursday.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...Anything that involves cooking in a terracotta pot gets me interested. Must be all those years watching Bill and Ben, the flower pot men. [Big Grin] ...

We have some terracotta pots we use for certain stew-type dishes cooked on the top of the stove and they give a really different, far more mellow, flavour. Things rarely stick to them, they wash easily and last quite well if you take care of them - but don't bounce as well as stainless steel!

They are also pretty cheap around here.

Fish curry tastes loads nicer cooked in a clay pot.

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Thurible

Cheeseboard pasta bake - can provide more details/quantities on request!

Cook pasta and heat oven to gas 5/190C

Make a white sauce and season with nutmeg

Tip the pasta into the sauce and add some chopped ham

Dice your leftover cheese and swirl it into the pasta and sauce

Top with crushed nuts or breadcrumbs and parsley and bake for 30 mins.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And wine or beer for the drinkers, juice and mineral water for those who don't and the one who disapproves can just get over it.

[Yipee]

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Cheeseboard pasta bake - can provide more details/quantities on request!

I was thinking along those lines. If you could suggest how much cheese to pasta, that'd be handy. (Obviously there's no such thing as 'too much cheese' but I've got two fair wedges of blue cheese and don't want it to be toostrong. It'd be okay to freeze, wouldn't it? (And if I was going to freeze, I suppose I could make two.)

Thurible

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our New Year favourite, Apple and Stilton Soup uses up a good sized lump of any Stilton we have left after Christmas [Razz]
In fact I usually buy a very big piece, just to make sure we have plenty left over for soup [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016