homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Broccoli and stilton soup is pretty classic.
  • Pears stuffed with blue cheese and served with watercress as a starter,
  • home made beef burgers made with blue cheese in the middle are good

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Cheeseboard pasta bake - can provide more details/quantities on request!

I was thinking along those lines. If you could suggest how much cheese to pasta, that'd be handy. (Obviously there's no such thing as 'too much cheese' but I've got two fair wedges of blue cheese and don't want it to be toostrong. It'd be okay to freeze, wouldn't it? (And if I was going to freeze, I suppose I could make two.)

Thurible

Well, my recipe says it serves 4 and has 500g pasta with 85g/3oz each of cheddar (grated), blue cheese and soft cheese. It also says "use whatever cheese you have to hand". I don't know about freezing it, but I think it'd be OK - I've frozen things with a white sauce before.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one that should be really simple if people know the answer.

How do you cook rice if you want to freeze and then reheat it in the microwave. I like rice, I ideally prefer to cook brown basmati rice, (healthier and fairly traded) but have found cooking it in an evening takes too long especially as I now work later. I want to cook up a large batch at a weekend and then use it up later.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
piglet, that sounds divine. What's a chicken brick, though?

A chicken brick is a terracotta pot, unglazed on the outside, but the lower part glazed on the inside.
One of these?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Campbellite, exactly like that.

Dormouse, is your terrine freezable? If you made it on Wednesday, froze it once it was cool, and took it out on Friday night, it would be defrosted by Saturday evening.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
  • Broccoli and stilton soup is pretty classic.
  • Pears stuffed with blue cheese and served with watercress as a starter,
  • home made beef burgers made with blue cheese in the middle are good

Son and I added some blue cheese to his famous lasagne. It totally escaped DIL's eagle eye and sensitive taste buds. She loves lasagne but hates blue cheese and he occasionally tries to trick her. He did this time.

The embarrassing for her bit was that she said it was one of the best batches ever.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Dormouse, is your terrine freezable? If you made it on Wednesday, froze it once it was cool, and took it out on Friday night, it would be defrosted by Saturday evening.

I'm not sure if it's freezable - there's no dairy in it so what would make it unfreezable, I wonder? The nuts? the apricots? That seems like a good idea, piglet, and the option I'll probably take, depending on two things
1. People posting here screaming No!No! You'll all die if you freeze and eat it!
2. I have room in my freezer. At the moment it's a bit jampacked with anonymous plastic boxes. But I should be able to shuffle them round a bit. I really must have a freezer clearout.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I much enjoy muesli for breakfast with fresh fruit added and plain yoghurt. All stirred together. Sometimes a teaspoon of honey too.

I add extra seeds (healthy, cheap and tasty) eg pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, linseed, in random proportions.

Now I've started dry frying/toasting the seeds first, for a few minutes until they darken, (although breakfasttime is starting to eat into my SoF time before I set off for work!) The seeds taste extra delicious, warm and crunchy.

It's a small pleasure, but they all count! [Big Grin]

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by Dormouse:

I'm not sure if it's freezable

A terrine made on Wednesday will come to no harm if it is covered and refrigerated until Saturday: it needs time for the flavour to develop.

I do not think that it is a good idea to freeze terrines, pâtés, galantines and so on: freezing breaks down the texture that you will have worked so hard to create, and renders it disagreeably 'woolly'. It would do you no harm, of course, but its quality would be spoilt.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philip99a:
...Now I've started dry frying/toasting the seeds first, for a few minutes until they darken, (although breakfasttime is starting to eat into my SoF time before I set off for work!) The seeds taste extra delicious, warm and crunchy.

It's a small pleasure, but they all count! [Big Grin]

Oh yes indeedy - if you ever add nuts then dry fry them a bit as well.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

How do you cook rice if you want to freeze and then reheat it in the microwave. I like rice, I ideally prefer to cook brown basmati rice, (healthier and fairly traded) but have found cooking it in an evening takes too long especially as I now work later. I want to cook up a large batch at a weekend and then use it up later.

Jengie

You can freeze rice. Cook it normally and cool it quickly. Package it in portions so that you only reheat what you will eat.

This link explains why rice should not be stored in the fridge for more than one day before using.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, Laud-able I'll trust you - but if we die horrible deaths my ghost will come & search you out! I suppose as making a terrine is a kind of way to preserve meat for a while it should be OK. But well wrapped in clingfilm it will stay at the bottom of the fridge.
Thanks for advice, folks!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse, I am not sure about your refrigerator, but the bottom is the warmest spot in ours.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

You can freeze rice. Cook it normally and cool it quickly. Package it in portions so that you only reheat what you will eat.

This link explains why rice should not be stored in the fridge for more than one day before using.

Will give it a go this weekend. Planning to cool by first pouring gallons of cold water through it then bunging it in the fridge for about an hour. Then freeze. Hope it works.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent]

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
OK, Laud-able I'll trust you - but if we die horrible deaths my ghost will come & search you out!

Given the temperatures currently running at Laud-able's location (as posted) I think even a freezer would be struggling to maintain room temperatures. (About 43 C in Melb yesterday, allegedly 46 in up-the-road Adelaide).

[/Tangent: carry on, now]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by Dormouse:
OK, Laud-able I'll trust you

Dormouse, all will be well, although I note lily pad’s advice about varying zones of temperature inside a refrigerator. A refrigerator thermometer is an inexpensive safeguard – Zappa’s comment on local temperatures prompted me to check that mine were at correct levels: at just after 8 am we are at 34° C and heading for a peak of 43° C. I am posting in Heaven, but sitting (if only temporarily) on the hobs of Hell.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laud-able, you have my sympathy. I reckon you can probably cook things at 43°C. [Eek!]

Give me 43°F any time.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Offense alert to US Shipmates:

I've spent big effort this evening cooking a US meatloaf (I'm courting a US girl and I want some small-talk!)

I followed this recipe to the letter (OK, I used some supermarket-bought tomato sauce but that wasn't the problem).

I used my sister's prime Aberdeen Angus beef steak mince (she farms in the North of England, her cattle grow very slowly and produce wonderful full-flavoured meat). I bought prime pork sausage etc etc. But why does the recipe mix equal parts of beef and pork? The result, to me, will taste of neither. There was added onion and even curry powder (to add flavour I guess. French pates enhance the inherent flavour of the meat and would never mix pork and beef and still hope to have a distinctive flavour). And the texture in the meatloaf was so smooth and homogenized, yuk.

Perhaps the recipe is not in fact very US-authentic at all. Pls suggest better.

The meatloaf result was (to me) yes, bland and so tasteless. I couldn't even tell it was meat. It was a bit like one of those protein drinks that you can buy at the gym. And I think that's what it was. A way of getting huge amounts of bland protein down you and building big, bulky children. American Football players and Beauty Queens. And now, obese adults.

Next week, I'm going to cook a traditional Swedish/Scandanavian meat loaf/maybe meatballs and see if that's any tastier/healthier. Hmmm.... comments please. [Confused]

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Offense alert to US Shipmates:

I've spent big effort this evening cooking a US meatloaf (I'm courting a US girl and I want some small-talk!)

I followed this recipe to the letter (OK, I used some supermarket-bought tomato sauce but that wasn't the problem).

Perhaps the recipe is not in fact very US-authentic at all. Pls suggest better.

The meatloaf result was (to me) yes, bland and so tasteless. I couldn't even tell it was meat. It was a bit like one of those protein drinks that you can buy at the gym. And I think that's what it was. A way of getting huge amounts of bland protein down you and building big, bulky children. American Football players and Beauty Queens. And now, obese adults.

Next week, I'm going to cook a traditional Swedish/Scandanavian meat loaf/maybe meatballs and see if that's any tastier/healthier. Hmmm.... comments please. [Confused]

I find when it comes to meatloaf I have to be much more aggressive with the seasonings with a pound and half of meat, it takes a lot of herbs and such to really flavor it, many times I am too timid and it comes out very bland.
Some ideas: Parmesan cheese, red wine, seasoned breadcrumbs, pesto, Lea & Perrins, A-1, spinich, Tabasco sauce, red wine always adds lot's flavor IMO. Meatloaf is very open to improvising. I think a Thai version with Siracha, lemon grass and a sate sauce could be good.
Here is a recipe by Alton Brown that I tried with toothsome results.
He is the "Good Eats" host on the American Food Network. Also I find the meatloaf browns better if you shape and form it "freeform" ie don't place it in a loaf pan. Two slices of bacon on the top can be nice, if you are using a very lean type of ground beef.

A trick I learned from Rachel Ray is to take a tiny portion of the raw beef mixture, fry it up in a pan and check for seasonings.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

quote:
Originally posted by GoodCatholicLad:

. . . take a tiny portion of the raw beef mixture, fry it up in a pan and check for seasonings.

I would add that if you are test-frying a mixture that is to be cooked in a water-bath and eaten cold, you should try to cook the portion gently so that it does not brown (the browning will alter the taste), and then chill it briefly on a saucer in the freezer before you taste it, because cold dishes require more seasoning.

I know that this sounds fiddly, but the ingredients for a terrine can be expensive, and once it is cooked you cannot do much to improve its taste.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps the recipe is not in fact very US-authentic at all.

Perhaps it's not - there might be a clue in the name of the person who posted the recipe
quote:
By: Kiwipom
Although, from the amount of seasoning recommended by GCL, the flavour of the meat used in an American meatloaf is possibly an irrelevance.
Maybe using good quality Aberdeen Angus was a bit of a waste.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Although, from the amount of seasoning recommended by GCL, the flavour of the meat used in an American meatloaf is possibly an irrelevance.
Maybe using good quality Aberdeen Angus was a bit of a waste.

First of all, after my rather disappointed post yesterday, the meatloaf has much more flavour now that it's cold and has stood for 18hrs in the fridge.

But yes, Roseofsharon, what it tastes of is the chilli in the curry powder, the sauce, the pepper etc. The flavour of the meat is all lost. Possibly just not my type of recipe!

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my eyes, that's a pretty frou-frou meatloaf recipe. Also very wet.

Meatloaf, in my experience, is one of those things that one wanders into the kitchen and throws together without consulting a recipe. Rather plain, but good basic comfort food. In the Otter household, the basic proportions are, for each pound of meat: (90+% lean beef, I don't like my meatloaf swimming in grease, which is the only reservation I have about the beef/pork mixtures)

1 egg, 1 onion, up to one row of saltines (ummm...20 of them?) coarsely crushed, a good squeeze of ketchup (1/4 cup?), and a good shake of salt and pepper. Other spices if they sound good at the time. Bake at 350 F for a half-hour to and hour, depending on the size/shape of your meatloaf. Serve hot, the Otter Pup and Mr. Otter eat it with ketchup.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

Oh, Yes, this was what I was after! Thanks otter, a reply from a Civil Engineer family in Chicago. All clean your hands with Swarfega first, before making industrial quantities of best US meatloaf! Er..... maybe you don't have Swarfega.

Well, first I had to Google "frou-frou" I guess = wimpy, feeble, fussy etc. Ie Not Very Chicago.

Next, saltines. May seem amazing, but we don't have them here. Can I use Jacob's Cream Crackers?. Or Matzo's (but I think saltines are leavened, hmmm...) A Bath Oliver seems a bit solid. Perhaps a Carr's Water Biscuit - but not the high-baked version. Can anyone advise?? And given the name "saltine", would I have to add extra salt?? I reckon Yes.

And no mixed meats, no fatty pork. Yes!
No milk and water either, good.
Above all no poncy (perhaps my Limey equivalent of "frou-frou") Italian tomato and herb homemade sauce. "(We) eat it with ketchup" That's what I want. Food fit for Homer Simpson. Washed down with Coors and followed up by do-nuts and whipped cream!

Er... it is low-calorie, hi-fibre/fiber, isn't it?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Phillip99a

I think this thread off another discussion board may be helpful to you. It is discussing what is most similar to Saltines in the UK.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

Thx J Jon, I'll try Doriano crackers, tho I am deeply prejudiced against Tesco!

I did mean to add that in my online cracker research (!) I came across S'mores. Never heard of them before. I realise I'll have to find Graham crackers or substitutes (Digestive Biscuits? but not at all sure they're the same). S'mores look pretty wonderful. We're certainly trawling the byways of non-haute-cuisine here!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use breadcrumbs in meatloaf. I've also been known to use oats, crushed weetabix, even ready brek or baby rice - depends what's to hand. I'd usually add garlic and any other handy vegetables such as sweetcorn, grated carrot, mushrooms. Even grated beetroot when I had a lot of it to use up. We serve it with Campbells tomato soup which isn't a million miles from ketchup but less acidic. I wouldn't use really good quality meat, but not the cheapest either.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, I've used bread crumbs too, when crackers weren't handy. Any kind of cracker or bready substance that sounds good will probably work just fine. IIRC I used cheesy crackers once, and it was decent, if unexpected.

Meat loaf seems to be one of those things that you'll find all sorts of variations on. Mr. Otter likes plenty of filler, and in larger chunks, same with the onions. I like the filler more crumb-sized. I've seen recipes that have whole hard-boiled eggs inside the loaf. Other people add cheese (much as my family likes cheese, that variation did not meet with approval). We like a fairly solid loaf, other people like very soft. You fool around with it until you find out what you like...

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

Excellent. But is meat loaf basically made of ground (US) beef, which I take to be the same as decent-quality minced (UK) beef?

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

I don't know whether there's a specifically US style of meatloaf. My entirely British recipe came from my Grandma who'd have been horrified at the idea of making anything "foreign". It uses half and half mince and sausage meat. My grandfather was a butcher so they'd have used good meat.

--------------------
Nea Fox

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When considering crackers/bread crumbs/oats and the like, please remember that the functions of the filler are two:
1. to make the meat go further by adding bulk that is in itsself essentially tasteless -- so you'll have to flavour more strongly, the more you use
2. to soak up the grease exuded by the meat as it cooks. Well, the juices as well, but mainly the fat. So the leaner the meat, the less you will need. (And I confess that 20 saltines would do a 5-6 pound meatloaf in my experience, though I'd be using extra lean ground beef).

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a large bag of frozen, whole sardines in Sainsbury's the other day and thought "Gosh, that's a bargain! I'll be able to do something with those."

As Friday approaches, though, I must admit to being at a loss as to what to do with them. Other than simply grilling them and eating them on bread/with a salad or somesuch, what would people suggest?

Thanks,

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stargazy Pie?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I saw a large bag of frozen, whole sardines in Sainsbury's the other day and thought "Gosh, that's a bargain! I'll be able to do something with those."

As Friday approaches, though, I must admit to being at a loss as to what to do with them. Other than simply grilling them and eating them on bread/with a salad or somesuch, what would people suggest?

Thanks,

Thurible

Peel several cloves of garlic and blend them into a paste with a little salt and spices of your choice.

Make incisions in the skin of the fish and rub on/in the paste then leave to marinate.

Grill or BBQ or whatever.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding meatloaf:

Crackers or breadcrumbs can make a meatloaf very dry.

Mother used to make it as follows:

1 pound raw ground meat, crumbled
onions diced
spices
1 cup oatmeal
1 10 oz. can undiluted condensed tomato soup
2 raw eggs

Mix it all together, pack into loaf pan, cook at 350 until firm to the touch. (hour to 90 minutes, I forget which, now, it has been years.)

I followed that recipe religiously until my dietary habits changed to vegetarianism.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time for cake talk, I think. On my snow-day today, I baked a carrot cake from the Ottolenghi cookbook. I added some chopped 80% chocolate solids chocolate and a handful of chopped cherries. Not sure if that will go with carrots and walnuts, buy hey. It smells delicious. I have some left-over chocolate-rum frosting so could spread that on top!

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leftfieldlover, walnuts go with chocolate. Carrot just bulks it out: I'm sure it will be scrumptious.

I've found an interesting salad recipe (involves strawberries, blue cheese and rocket/arugula) that involves white balsamic vinegar. I've got ordinary balsamic. Is the difference significant enough that I'll need to go out and find white balsamic vinegar?

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarence , I can buy white balsamic at the local greengrocers, where it is called a dressing. It's not actually a dressing, being simply the vinegar, somehow sweetened (artificially I suspect) and whitened in an undisclosed process. It's very useful to give those conservative souls who say they can't take balsamic, but then love this flavour. 50/50 wih a good white wine vinegar is an improvement.

For the real stuff, it's hard to go past the Mazzetti 4 leaf balsamic at Woolworths for next to nothing - OK about twice the price of the 1 leaf, but it's worth every cent extra. Good enough to sip off a spoon, or drizzle (marvellous foodie type word that) over icecream, and a lot lower price than the balsamics sold at the pseuds' shops.

A hot summer evening here. We had some cold barbecued (Aust sense) lamb leg, with cold blanched roman beans tossed in a bit of macadamia nut oil, and a spiced couscous and roast vegetable salad, bought from the local delicatessen. And some of Helen Cooper's old-fashioned chutney bought at last week's stall to add a bit of zing. All accompanied with a pleasant and slightly chilled Yarra Valley Pinot Noir with a green salad, some decent cheddar style cheese and cold fruit to follow - all under the stars. "And a quiet lawn is paradise enough" or something. Typos due to the pinot....

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Gee D. Am off to brave the shops this afternoon for good balsamic.

I would love to drop in on your next barbecued lamb under the stars! In the temperatures around this country at the moment eating delicious things al fresco is the only way.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Thanks Gee D. Am off to brave the shops this afternoon for good balsamic.

I would love to drop in on your next barbecued lamb under the stars! In the temperatures around this country at the moment eating delicious things al fresco is the only way.

While you're shopping Clarence, have a look for some raspberry vinegar too. A dash in a glass of icy water is very refreshing in these temperatures.

Macadamia oil as mentioned by GD makes a great salad dressing with some balsamic. Perhaps some other flavours depending on what takes your fancy at the time. Grain mustard, lemon zest etc.

[ 06. February 2009, 21:48: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarence , total fire ban today, so no barbecue. The best I could offer would be some lamb chops done on the gas hotplate, not proper charcoal. We're going to serve duck salad instead, with some meaty duck breasts cooked on the hotplate plated over a green salad with lots of sugar snap peas in it and some cold chat potatoes on the side. Some more of the same pinot as well. On a day like today, it nees a half hour or so in the fridge.

The macadamia oil is also from Woolworths, who are not ofering me a spotter's fee. As Lothlorien says, it makes a great dressing with some balsamic or some good white wine vinegar, and a bit odf what's around - not too much of the last though. Again, it's a lot cheaper there than at the psueds' shops and at least as good a quality. And you don't have eto put up with the shop assistants at those other places while you're buying it.....

[ 07. February 2009, 00:40: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Typos due to the pinot....

Clearly you did not consume enough [Razz]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Gee D - that duck salad sounds absolutely divine (especially with the aforementioned Pinot), but what are "cold chat potatoes"? Ones that talk to each other, but very formally? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
but what are "cold chat potatoes"? Ones that talk to each other, but very formally?
Back in the olden days when I were but a young'un [Hot and Hormonal] we just called them new potatoes.

The smallish, white, often round potatoes dug before the main crop. Incidentally, Mr L was told to eat these as a diabetic because their GI level is much lower than mature potatoes.
Here's one of many references to them complete with picture.

Very yummy with some butter, seasalt and good pepper or perhaps boiled with some mint sprigs. How about a little bit of dill added just before serving to plain chats? As GeeD says, good cold too.

[ 07. February 2009, 03:20: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Chats are also very good tossed in a bit of pesto. Cold with a salad, hot with some barbecued lamb chops. Most bought pesto is OK for this. Just rolled in a tiny bit of olive oil tonight though.

We shall be 8 for dinner this evening – 3 other couples. Our tables both inside and out are square, so 2 a side makes for easy all round conversation. Dlet is off to see Valkyrie with the daughter of one of the couples – a delightful girl – and some of his mates. They can feast on some Turkish in the food court near the cinema.

The rest of the dinner is straight forward for a hot night. 42º outside here at the moment, so it needs to be simple. Madame D’s famous pork and veal terrine with whole canned porcinis down the centre to start, with some D’Arenberg Sparkling Chambourcin – a sparkling red for those in other lands. Then the duck (my responsibility) as above, a couple of cheeses, then summer pudding (what else) with an ancient Mt Pleasant sweet white. Given the heat, we’ll be eating outdoors again; and definitely no black ties!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember 'chats' from my childhood, when they were the tiny potatoes that were too small to peel.
Not new potatoes, from which the tender skins can be scraped, however tiny.

Nowadays we would cook chats unpeeled, but back then potatoes only kept their skins on if they were being baked.

Chats were pig food

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Reporting back

Freezing rice seems to have worked. Five serving were prepared and frozen. One serving reheated for 2 minutes in the microwave and was ready to eat. Definitely something to repeat.

This weeks experiment is spicy sweet potato and butternut squash soup. So far smells delicious but still needs to be creamed.

Ingredients (sorry cannot do quantities)
Vegetable stock
butternut squash
sweet potato
potato
cardamom pods
pepper corns
ground coriander
ginger

instructions
  1. Chop vegetables
  2. put all ingredients into a slow cooker and allow to cook slowly
  3. when cooked allow to cool
  4. cream (either put them in blender or mash through a sieve, the consistency should be like cream hence verb)
  5. reheat.

--------------------

Back to my blog

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the market to buy mackerel and was seduced by the herrings whilst I was there. They were just so shiny and glossy with sparkling eyes.....

However, whilst I love pickled herrings and rollmops and the like I have never actually cooked herring. The fishmonger said I could just grill or fry it like a macherel, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tasty ideas.

It is currently beheaded and gutted but not filleted.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

Split the herrings open and make Herrings in oatmeal Deee-licious.

The late Queen Mum's favourite dish apparently.

Use medium grade oatmeal not oat flakes or rolled oats.

As the recipe says, serve with lemon wedges and boiled spuds with chopped parsley on the spuds. And maybe some crunchy steamed cabbage or winter greens as veg. I think I'm hungry!

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I followed this recipe to the letter

It's a crap recipe, so there's the problem. Not your fault at all.

quote:
I used my sister's prime Aberdeen Angus beef steak mince (she farms in the North of England, her cattle grow very slowly and produce wonderful full-flavoured meat). I bought prime pork sausage etc etc. But why does the recipe mix equal parts of beef and pork? The result, to me, will taste of neither.

That's not the point. The beef provides the base flavor while to pork adds sweetness and lightens the mixture so overall it's not so heavy.

In some US grocery stores you can buy "meatloaf mix," equal parts ground beef, ground pork, ground veal. This is ideal if you can get it. Even if you make your own, regardless of what meats you use, none of it needs to be top-of-the-line. Decent supermarket quality is fine unless you're feeding Thomas Keller. No stores in my area have it, so I make my own with equal parts ground chuck (no more than 15% fat) and ground pork.

quote:
There was added onion and even curry powder (to add flavour I guess. French pates enhance the inherent flavour of the meat and would never mix pork and beef and still hope to have a distinctive flavour).

You're not looking for an equally balanced flavor profile between the pork and beef, you want an overall beefy flavor and the pork may provide background notes, otherwise it's there in purely a functional role.

quote:
And the texture in the meatloaf was so smooth and homogenized, yuk.

O Lord above and in my spoon drawer! BEATING MEATLOAF MIX?! Augh! Ptew! That's baby food! No, no, no! Bad recipe writer! (Where's my copy of Better Crocker to roll up and slap her on the nose?)

Look, forget that recipe. Use this instead:

Here's the meatloaf recipe I use.

Here's Alton Brown making his meatloaf recipe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gip89zEyiM. (The first two minutes are about cooking the perfect hamburge, so keep watching.)

My only caveat? Double the amount of glaze, I always seems to run short. I also double the amount of garlic as I love it. This recipe makes great meatballs.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016