homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
spicy sweet potato and butternut squash soup.

That sounds good!
Normally I only make soup around New Year, to use up the leftover Stilton and parsnips from Christmas, but this year, as the weather has been so cold, we have been having a bowl of home-made soup for lunch every day. I have added yours to my collection of soup recipes.

We had a sweet potato soup last week. It was delicious, but a little extravagant as it had a can of coconut milk in it, and two tablespoons of curry paste.
Very warming and comforting.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
spicy sweet potato and butternut squash soup.

That sounds good!
Normally I only make soup around New Year, to use up the leftover Stilton and parsnips from Christmas, but this year, as the weather has been so cold, we have been having a bowl of home-made soup for lunch every day. I have added yours to my collection of soup recipes.

We had a sweet potato soup last week. It was delicious, but a little extravagant as it had a can of coconut milk in it, and two tablespoons of curry paste.
Very warming and comforting.

Try adding a can of chopped tomatoes to currried pumpkin soup. Lovely. Or tortellini added to plain pumpkin soup make it a very substantial meal.

From someone who makes gallons of soup a year.

Even before I started a small canteen where the students will ask for soup on the hottest day, I made many varied soups, most without recipes, just using imagination and ingredients to hand. At the canteen my rule is not before Easter and not after Semester II mid-semester break which is the beginning of October. Holidays from early November to late February.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally return to say I made my terrine on Wednesday and it sat in the fridge, tightly wrapped in clingfilm. It was delicious and nobody died from eating it. The only problem was that it crumbled as it was being sliced, so instead of delicious looking layered terrine we had big chunks of meaty stuff.
Good served with chutney and onion jam. I will definitely make it again.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As promised on the Afternoon Tea thread:

Chocolate Tiffin

1 small packet Digestive or Rich Tea biscuits
2oz butter or margarine
1 cup sultanas (optional)
2 oz sugar
2 oz golden syrup
2 tbsp drinking chocolate powder
1/2 lb good quality milk chocolate (cooking chocolate works fine)

Method

1) Melt butter, sugar, and golden syrup in a large pan over a low heat, until all the sugar has dissolved.

2) Meanwhile, crush the biscuits.
(The best method I know for doing this is to put them in a large polythene bag and bash them with a rolling pin. Don't reduce them absolutely to powder - some lumps are good.)

3) Add drinking chocolate powder, sultanas, and crushed biscuits to the mixture in the pan, and stir together well.

4) Turn the mixture into a greased baking tray and press down well.

5) Melt the chocolate (either in a microwave or in a bowl suspended over a pan of hot - not simmering - water). Pour over the biscuit mixture to form the topping. Decorate with chocolate strands, if desired, or do fancy stuff with white chocolate.

6) Put in fridge. Remove after a few minutes when the chocolate is set but not hard, and score the top into squares. Then return to fridge to set fully. (This avoids the chocolate cracking when you try to cut it later.)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to try out a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies for a friend's farewell party. My sister and I both own the recipe book it is from and have found all the recipes we have tried to be highly successful and delicious. However this recipe includes 125g of demerara sugar and I was wondering if I could substitute raw cane sugar or brown sugar without much change to the end result. Demerara sugar costs 3 times as much as raw sugar so I would prefer to use raw sugar if it's not going to make much difference.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
As promised on the Afternoon Tea thread:

Chocolate Tiffin

1 small packet Digestive or Rich Tea biscuits
2oz butter or margarine
1 cup sultanas (optional)
2 oz sugar
2 oz golden syrup
2 tbsp drinking chocolate powder
1/2 lb good quality milk chocolate (cooking chocolate works fine)

Method

1) Melt butter, sugar, and golden syrup in a large pan over a low heat, until all the sugar has dissolved.

2) Meanwhile, crush the biscuits.
(The best method I know for doing this is to put them in a large polythene bag and bash them with a rolling pin. Don't reduce them absolutely to powder - some lumps are good.)

3) Add drinking chocolate powder, sultanas, and crushed biscuits to the mixture in the pan, and stir together well.

4) Turn the mixture into a greased baking tray and press down well.

5) Melt the chocolate (either in a microwave or in a bowl suspended over a pan of hot - not simmering - water). Pour over the biscuit mixture to form the topping. Decorate with chocolate strands, if desired, or do fancy stuff with white chocolate.

6) Put in fridge. Remove after a few minutes when the chocolate is set but not hard, and score the top into squares. Then return to fridge to set fully. (This avoids the chocolate cracking when you try to cut it later.)

This looks almost identical to our family’s recipe, except that we substituted one tablespoon of cocoa for the drinking chocolate, left out the added sugar, and only one tablespoon of golden syrup. This made it a bit less sweet. I think it had a bit more butter, probably necessary if you had less syrup to make it all stick together.

And we adapted it to add some glace cherries as well as the sultanas. And we used plain chocolate on the top.

It’s probably a very bad idea to post it now though with Lent coming up .....

[ 24. February 2009, 13:32: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
It’s probably a very bad idea to post it now though with Lent coming up .....

Yes. [Biased]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Cottontail. I'm really looking forward to trying that for the next Cathedral bun-fight; just yesterday the Dean and the Curate were encouraging us to take up good things rather than give up bad things for Lent.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome. [Smile]

Btw, this made me smile:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
This looks almost identical to our family’s recipe, except that we substituted one tablespoon of cocoa for the drinking chocolate, left out the added sugar, and only one tablespoon of golden syrup ... I think it had a bit more butter ...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I knew all the classic steak sauces, but this is one which I only discovered this w/end. Totally recommend it, if you don't know it.

Steak Mirabeau

Butter/oil
Steak
Anchovies
Red wine
Cream (Ish. I used half-fat creme fraiche)
Black olives (highly optional IMO)

Put butter and oil in the pan and fry the steak therein - but stop at least a minute before completion, remove from pan and place in a warm oven. Into the juices, tip a glass of red wine and mash in a couple of anchovies. Reduce hard, and add a tblsp of creamoid. Retrieve the steaks, tip back any juice they have accumulated. Serve topped with another anchovy or two and sliced black olives (if you want) and the sauce over.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mili; kind of late, but I can't see that there would be any problem with that substitution.
Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferdzy:
Mili; kind of late, but I can't see that there would be any problem with that substitution.

I don't see a problem either - demerara is virtually unobtainable here so I use jaggery [raw cane sugar sold in balls] and the results in everything I have used it in so far have been fine - if anything it enhances the taste as it is a sort of rich Barbados Muscovados flavour.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roman Garum (rotted fish sauce)

A very good friend is an ex-chef and she adores anchovies, I mean adores them.

So in a rash moment, I promised I'll make her the ancient Roman sauce Garum, made from fermented anchovy guts (yes really).

Anyone ever eaten it or made it? What do you eat it on? I know that if you were a Roman living anywhere in the Empire your instant reply would be "Everything! And, no I don't fancy going out to catch a couple of dormice and then fatten them up in a jar. Almost certainly illegal under a Nature Conservancy act anyway. What could I serve the sauce on? Potatoes are obviously not appropriate for example.

Here are two recipes I've googled. I think I'll settle for the modern one! Has anyone tried either of them or similar??

Ancient Garum Recipe
Use fatty fish, for example, sardines, and a well-sealed (pitched) container with a 26-35 quart capacity. Add dried, aromatic herbs possessing a strong flavor, such as dill, coriander, fennel, celery, mint, oregano, and others, making a layer on the bottom of the container; then put down a layer of fish (if small, leave them whole, if large, use pieces) and over this, add a layer of salt two fingers high. Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.
- Gargilius Martialis, De medicina et de virtute herbarum, reprinted from ‘A Taste of Ancient Rome’

JOSEP MERCADER’S modern “GARUM”
560 g black olives, stoned
16 anchovy fillets, (soaked in water for 1 hour and patted dry)
1 hard-boiled egg yolk
90 g capers
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grainy mustard
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 teaspoon white pepper
60 ml olive oil
Mix all ingredients together in blender or food processor until light and fluffy. Puree the mixture in a food mill or push it through a sieve with a wooden spoon. Return to the blender or food processor and process briefly to obtain a smooth paste. Note: Do not substitute fresh herbs with dry as they will not puree properly, either omit, experiment with other fresh herbs, or increase the amounts of parsley.

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the recipe says 'fish sauce' I use nước mắm. Life is too short to rot your own anchovies.
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
If the recipe says 'fish sauce' I use nước mắm. Life is too short to rot your own anchovies.

My goodness, you'll be saying life's too short to stuff a mushroom next!
[Smile]

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philip99a:
What could I serve the sauce on? Potatoes are obviously not appropriate for example.

I experimented with Roman cooking at one stage and even did a simple dinner party. Firenze is right: fish sauce is the closest thing to garum. For potatoes, substitute turnips. I flavoured mine (they were boiled) with rosemary. Lovage was a popular seasoning, but it has a very distinct, strong smell and flavour you may not like (you can find this in ethnic shops under the name of "ajwan" or "ajwain" seed). Rice was around in Roman times but was a real luxury item as it had to be imported from India. You could, perhaps, stretch a point and use cracked wheat.

When cooking Roman, think spicy, and think sweet and sour, and you won't go far wrong.

I actually came here to ask about flounders - have got sidetracked. I cooked a flounder this evening, for the first time, and wouldn't repeat the experience - it tasted quite unpleasant. However, in principle, any nice recipes (I won't be buying them from that source again) for flounders, Dover sole, turbot, etc?

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If nước mắm is the closest thing to garum, then probably garum would do well over pasta (we use angel-hair size rice noodles), particularly with cut up lettuce, mint, green onions and basil (and possibly stir-fried meat bits) layered on top of the noodles to form a cold salad; used as a dip for anything resembling fried eggrolls; as an ingredient in any soup or added to any stir fry; as a sauce to dip omelettey things in (after rolling them in lettuce leaves); or over glutinous, jelly-like, DISGUSTING cold noodles with tiny crumbs of meat hiding where you can't possibly taste them (why no, I really don't like that dish, thanks for asking!).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if there is workable replacement for two ounces or less wine in a recipe? Even the possibility of alcohol in a dish tends make my friends who are recovering alcoholics nervous. And the common wisdom that alcohol cooks off relatively quickly is no longer certain at all. Would wine vinegar do the trick, do you think?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
And the common wisdom that alcohol cooks off relatively quickly is no longer certain at all.

The alcohol content isn't the point for your friends. Most of the alcohol is cooked off, but the taste of the alcoholic substance remains. Having the taste of alcohol in their food can cause some alcoholics big problems.

Instead of using alcohol use some stock, water or a fruit juice, depending on what would work best in the recipe.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have a really outstanding humous recipe? I'm tired of eating substandard stuff out of the shops, and I've made it once before at home, but felt the recipe was lacking zing (even after I added more lemon juice and seasoning). I'm not looking for hot/spicy, just really nice and savoury. I tried a lemon/coriander one from the shops recently that was sweet for some reason and it was just wrong. I'm not worried about fat/calorie content (I tend to find the low-cal stuff too sweet), as I'm still preggers (hence probably the huge cravings for humous) and soon to be breastfeeding.

Any ideas?

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by philip99a:
So in a rash moment, I promised I'll make her the ancient Roman sauce Garum, made from fermented anchovy guts (yes really).

You could keep on eye on the Heston Blumenthal series (Channel 4, Tuesdays). Apparently he is doing a Roman Feast next week.

Last night, it was Tudor. Butter beer to start (and oddly, there was a reference to Pepys and his wife drinking it in today's installment of the Diary). Followed by frog blancmange, with crispy frogs legs. Followed by a roast of mixed meats, served in a chimera with pyrotechnics. And rice pudding to finish - but made to look like sausage and mash.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Does anyone have a really outstanding humous recipe? I'm tired of eating substandard stuff out of the shops, and I've made it once before at home, but felt the recipe was lacking zing (even after I added more lemon juice and seasoning). I'm not looking for hot/spicy, just really nice and savoury. I tried a lemon/coriander one from the shops recently that was sweet for some reason and it was just wrong. I'm not worried about fat/calorie content (I tend to find the low-cal stuff too sweet), as I'm still preggers (hence probably the huge cravings for humous) and soon to be breastfeeding.

Any ideas?

I have a dead simple recipe I make in my food processor from time to time.

When I get home in a month's time, remind me. I don't want to get the proportions wrong!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flausa, here are the Food Network pages of hummus recipes for your perusal for ideas of what you might throw into the food processor. I'm a happy camper with simple hummus usually from Trader Joe's. The only time I had some disappointing hummus was at a Mediterranean restaurant and I'm sure they forgot something(s) vital to the recipe. I'm sure lemon juice was missing and perhaps tahini, too. Anyway, it tasted like it was made with processed garbanzo beans and nothing else. Bleh!

ETA: Thanks for the suggestions, babybear.

[ 18. March 2009, 10:03: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iona Story

Every day of the week on Iona there is normally humus for lunch along with cheese, soup and home made bread with other spreads.

The fact is that a different person makes each lot of humus although they are all technically made to the same recipe. Somebody on the the Thursday asked what the dish was and was told it was "humus" she said "but you said what we had yesterday was humus and that was different". Basically although the recipe was the same the person making it altered it to their liking and so successive batches could taste completely different.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Yes, Jengie, I got a kick out of the comments on the linked recipes. None of the recipes got five stars because there were always some people who said there was too much/too little garlic/tahini/liquid/oil/texture in the resulting hummus.

However I defy anyone to enjoy that restaurant hummus with no tang, sesame or garlic taste. The texture was okay. [Biased] Besides, I'd been to that place a couple of times before when they got it right. Someone was distracted while preparing the stuff that night.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the answers re sugar. I ended up using demerara sugar and the biscuits/cookies turned out really well. I put the late replies down to it being Lent - wouldn't have posted about cookies, especially choc-chip, at this time if I had remembered! My denomination doesn't observe Lent.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the land of strong flavours I have to say that for humous, as with so much else in life, there is no such thing as too much garlic. I would also add a tiny amount of chilli powder, not enough to taste of chilli but enough to just lift the other flavours, I don't think black pepper would do it quite as well but you could try that as long as it is fresh.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's it Wiff Waff. The hummus I've had just is a bit too "meh" as if afraid to offend with flavour. So maybe I shouldn't be afraid to follow the recipe that says to put in 3/4 cups of garlic!!!! The chili powder sounds a good idea as well for a nice lift.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other question with hummous is when you are going to eat it. If you are going to eat it immediately, make it to taste and whack up the flavours. If you are making a batch, some to eat later, tone down the flavourings as they will meld and get stronger overnight. I've made hummous to taste on the day, and come to eat it again a day later to open the pot and think, actually I did put too much garlic in this!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
I would also add a tiny amount of chilli powder, not enough to taste of chilli but enough to just lift the other flavours

Paprika works well as well.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
[A]s with so much else in life, there is no such thing as too much garlic.

A man after my own heart!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And mine, Campbellite! Mind you, when I made chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, Wiffles was probably able to smell it from his house, which is on the other side of the planet ...

Tasted wonderful though. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I'm afraid that I'm of the camp that feels that garlic, spices and herbs usually should be more subtle parts of a dish. I wouldn't think about grilling a steak or fixing hummus without some garlic. But I really don't care for extra garlicky potatoes or pasta sauce, and I don't care for pesto that much. I love dishes with basil, not as crazy about dishes of basil. And I like hot spices, but I don't want my mouth burning so much I can't taste the food.

--------------------

PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone make any suggestions on the following?

I love stir fries. They're quick, easy and healthy and, imo, yummy. However, hubby always complains that they're dry. This is a man who might take a little pasta with his bowl of sauce. [Roll Eyes]

I managed to placate him last night with soy sauce, but don't really want to add a lot of oil or sauce in the future. I've been trying to think of things which might help on the moistness front. Tinned tomatoes? Broth or soup?

Any advice?

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PrettyFly, you might consider coconut milk. I have a recipe for Thai Chicken Curry which starts with stir-frying the curry paste (very briefly), then chicken breast strips, then sweet red bell pepper pieces and chopped onion. Lastly dump in coconut milk and simmer. If you prefer your stir-fry "dry" you could probably remove your portion before simmering the rest in coconut milk. Mr. Goopy should love it!

That's the basics; if you want me to post the more complete version of the recipe, I could do.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Leaf!

I did consider that (I do a mean green curry [Big Grin] ) but I'm trying to keep it as light and healthy as I can - which I know is difficult to do with sauces anyway, but coconut milk... well...

--------------------

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can get "light" coconut milk here. I suspect it's still not terribly good for you but makes me feel a bit better about it!

I'll consult a few recipes and see if I can find any other sauces.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ps, how about sweet and sour? It's not one of my personal favourites but here's a more interesting sounding version:

2 tsp cornflour
juice of 1 large orange
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine or sherry
1 tbsp clear honey

Mix the cornflour with 6 tbsp water in a jug and stir in remaining ingredients. Mix well before adding to the stir fry.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

Sweet and sour is an interesting idea - especially a home made one... thanks!

Would it just be too weird to add say, some beef broth to a beef stir fry? In my head it seems like it might work but in reality it may just be weird...

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think beef broth could work, esp. if you adapted K-H's recipe: thickened it with cornstarch, throw in some sherry, skip the honey.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When I do stir-fries, I start by frying garlic and ginger, then brown the meat (usually beef or chicken), take it out and keep on one side while I do the veggies, then put the meat back along with any juices that have collected. Once everything's more-or-less done, I add a mixture of soy sauce and sherry, usually about a couple of tablespoons of each, and let it bubble for a minute or so. I'd be wary of using broth and soy sauce as the cumulative salt content might make it taste like the Dead Sea Scrolls.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What on earth is wrong with coconut milk? Lovely stuff.

And if you want different amounts of sauce why not cook the sauce in another pan so you can have as much or as little as you like?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also make my own sauce for stir-fry. I usually do it by "feel", so I couldn't give you an exact recipe, but it generally consists of soy sauce, dry sherry, a bit of garlic and ginger, a drop or three of tabasco*, a teaspoon or so of sesame oil**, and a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch. Stir together and add to the wok at the very end of cooking. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens and coats the food.

*not always, my lovely spouse is averse to too much of it.
** accept no substitutes. If you don't have it, leave it out.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
What on earth is wrong with coconut milk? Lovely stuff.

It's full of saturated fat and calories, like cream. Personally I think it's a Good Idea™ when I'm craving something creamy and my dairy allergic daughter is around, but it's an occasional treat, not a regular indulgence.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

Yes, the fat/calorie content is my only concern about coconut milk. I adore it but don't want to use it too often. Besides, one isn't always in the mood for a creamy dish.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I'm liking the idea of thickening the broth with cornstarch. Clearly I'm going to have to start keeping sherry in the house, too!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am messing with a ginger cake recipe. The original is simple enough

3 oz flour
2 eggs
4 oz of sugar
1 oz of ginger

or

3.5 oz flour
2 eggs
4 oz of sugar
.5 oz of ginger
.5 oz of crystalised ginger

but I am trying to make it more diabetic friendly. Not totally but more so and its for a fairly fussy diabetic,. So I am substituting 1 oz of oatmeal for 1 oz of flour, xylitol for the sugar. If it was for my mum I'd just use fructose but I think for this one I have to be more fussy.

I made the first on Sunday and it was tried today, it was on the dry side. What variables should I alter to make it more moist?

Next try out is Friday night and mum will be road testing.

Jengie

[ 25. March 2009, 17:25: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Does anyone know if there is workable replacement for two ounces or less wine in a recipe? Even the possibility of alcohol in a dish tends make my friends who are recovering alcoholics nervous.

Better safe than sorry in circumstances like those.

When you cook with wine, all you really want from it is fruit and acid. When my recipe has called for wine and I've made the unpleasant discovery I'd run out, I successfully substituted lemon or lime juice.

A clean, simple vinegar like white vinegar will give you the acid, and a splash of fruit juice or a spoonful of crushed fruit (fresh or canned) will complete the equation, albeit roughly.

For the poster asking about making her stir-fries juicier: Adding more stock is a good way to go. Don't add water, it dilutes all the flavors. Don't add more stock to the wok because you'll stop the frying action and turn it into stir-boiling. All your food's nice crispy bits will become soggy.

Instead, as ken suggested, make extra sauce in a side pan and let your DH spoon that out as much as he likes.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got any good guacamole recipes? I've become addicted to the shop-bought stuff, but I don't think it can be very good for me, as it must have additives/sugar/stuff I don't need in it. I know roughly what goes in it (chilli, avocado, garlic & olive oil too, I think) but does anyone know proportions etc... I love garlic but am not so keen on spicy heat, so would need a fairly mild recipe!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
I made the first on Sunday and it was tried today, it was on the dry side. What variables should I alter to make it more moist?
Jengie

You could try adding an extra egg. Or add fat ... butter if that works okay for your diabetic friend, or a tablespoon of olive oil. Or boil some carrot, mash it up to a puree, and mix it in.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Thanks, KenWritez. [Smile]

Yummmm. Guacamoleeee.

You are going to so love homemade guacamole compared to pre-made stuff. I generally eye-ball it, but the following is a rough approximation:

2 ripe Hass avocados- should be pretty soft to the touch
1 tablespoon mayonaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or to taste
1 tablespoon chunky Mexican salsa -mild in your case
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice

Split the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pits and spoon out the flesh from the hard skin into a bowl. Mash coarsely with a fork; small soft lumps are okay. Stir in mayo, garlic salt, and salsa until well blended. Then sprinkle over the top the citrus juice; it will keep the surface from darkening. Tightly cover with kitchen wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour for the flavors to meld. Give a final stir just before serving. Serve with crisp tortilla chips.

[ 25. March 2009, 19:10: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016