homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a Poor Grad Student®, the Perfect Pot of Beans™ is a bit of a project of mine. If I can mooch free food during class (everyone I know keeps an eye out for me now–though my foodhunting skills are still better than theirs, thankyouverymuch), I can make a $14 pot of bean stew/rice/pan of cornbread last for almost two weeks. Not bad, if I may say so myself.
Anyhow, one of the contenders for the title of Perfect Beans:
1 Ł black turtle beans, rinsed, sorted, de-stoned and soaked overnight
Water
1-2 peeled sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1-3 squashes of your choice, chunked
2-3 steamed ears of corn, kernels removed (or a can of corn)
2 ripe tomatoes, diced (or a can of no-salt-added tomatoes)
leaves from 2 leafy epazote* stems
1 coarsely chopped onion
5 minced garlic cloves
2 stemmed, seeded, veined and diced serrano chiles
4 chopped chipotle peppers (with some of the adobo)
4 dried guanjillo chiles, charred and broken into small pieces
A generous measure of cayenne pepper
A more generous measure of smoked chile powder
Cover beans with a generous amount of water; once boiling, gradually add the ingredients (you can prepare them while things are cooking) until beans and sweet potatoes are soft. Serve over rice and with fresh cornbread.
Yes, I do like spicy things. How could you tell?
*Epazote is a rather odd but very tasty Mexican herb that tastes of earth and anise and reportedly preempts any possibility of post-bean "music." Besides that, I have no way to describe it, much less tell you what could substitute for it; it's a taste all to its own.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D, I think slow cookers are great too, but I'm careful what I cook in them. Your recipe sounds great and we use ours for bean type recipes, stock, soups etc. Some curries are good too. However, I think they were given a bad name by those who tried to make casseroles and stew. Too many of them ended up overcooked and all tasting the same.

BTW, do you use a local patisserie? I've bought a couple of things from the one down the hill from here, with the gelateria next door and the flappy blue awnings on the footpath. They were quite good and the gelateria makes surprisingly good coffee.

I'd ask my brother who lives up your way, but although he loves and cooks good food, he never eats anything sweet and probably does not know where to get good stuff.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lothlorien, we go to a couple at Wahroonga - many things from Bertrand who make a delicious and moist orange & poppyseed cake rather like a baba, great with a King Island yoghurt, as well as a good range of pastries. Their coffee is quit good also. The Bonjour Patisserie next to the IGA keeps quite long hours and does fruit flans etc. I would not drink their coffee.

The original Michels at Turramurra had an excellent name when it was the only Michels. I don't know if it is now an independent using the name, or part of the franchise operation. We don't go there now, and don't know anyone who does. It's infested by cyclists on weekend mornings, with the cyclery all but next door.

There's also a very good patisserie at St Ives, can't remember name, but it is on the Franklins level. I think the owner was the original at Turramurra.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have added about slow cookers. We find the trick is to use the high setting as much as possible, and limit cooking to a maximum of 4 hours. As you say, much taste is lost otherwise and the result is poor. With the joint recipe I've given, the First's game starts at 3.15, so we set the timer to start at 4.00 and invite guests for an early dinner.

Not sure about cooking pulses, as we tend to use them in only a few dishes and (confession, confession) usually use a can.

I did not give precise instructions or quantities. It is a basic recipe able to be adapted for different foods, tastes and needs. Sometimes Madame D will brown a chicken, and use a couple of chopped leaks in place of onions. The trick is to brown the meat, then add a bit of oil and cook the onion/leek, garlic etc in the same pan, then deglaze with some wine or dry vermouth. Once in summer, I cooked a slab of turkey breast as if it were a piece of venison - the result was great, especially the cold "restes".

People tend to think of the slow cooker as a winter device. It's also very good in summer, as the kitchen does not have the heat of an oven.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks GeeD. As I don't have a car, it would be Wahroonga for me probably. Sometimes it's handy to have local knowledge. DIL dashed out for an emergency birthday cake once and I think she bought it down this end of Gordon diagonally over from St Johns. It was pleasant but not as much as it should have been considering cost. Still, any port in a storm sometimes. I wasn't necessarily after cheap, but was wanting recommendations for quality, so will bear those in mind.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What classes are you in that you can mooch free food?

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, I find that things come out best in the slow-cooker when put on low all day, if I have it cranked up to high I have trouble with burning. It may be what I tend to cook that way - chili (the 'merikan bean, meat, and tomato stew), soups, red sauce, and suchlike things that also benefit from all-day stovetop cooking.

I cooked some yellow split peas last week in a slow-cooker for the first time, and I'm wondering if I overcooked them - they exploded! I don't recall the green ones ever doing that.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frin:
What classes are you in that you can mooch free food?

Ones that are near grad student lounges. For some reason, the theology grad students are always having free food events; I know just enough theology/theology grad students to get away with the occasional raid.
I'm sure I could write a treatise on how to score free food from campus events, but that'd belong on another thread anyway (and I'm still conducting extensive research).

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question about substituting one ingredient for another, specifically substituting corn syrup for maple syrup in a gingerbread recipe.

Maple syrup is expensive, and I don't think the flavor would be very noticeable in the presence of all the spices.

The recipe calls for one cup of maple syrup. I was thinking of using a mixture of light and dark corn syrup.

Has anyone substituted corn syrup for maple syrup? If so, what kind of corn syrup and how was the finished product?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The recipe that I use has molasses in it. Corn syrup should work like maple syrup although I generally try to find more natural substitutes for corn syrup.

I found these directions for substituting sugar for maple syrup so that might be an option for you.

If you're baking, substitute 1 cup sugar for every 3/4 cup of maple syrup, then increase the liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons per cup of sugar. If baking soda is used, decrease the amount by 1/4 teaspoon per cup of sugar substituted, since sugar is less acidic than maple syrup.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Dark Karo corn syrup, while absolutely essential for making pecan pie, should probably not be used for gingerbread, which needs the flavor of dark molasses. You'll still get the rich flavor that compliments the sweet with molasses, but without the @#$%!!!!!! effect of looking at maple syrup's price tag.

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was cooking for lactose intolerant veggie on Sunday, and I tried a new recipe from the "Vegan Cookbook", Banana Ice-cream.

It isn't really an ice-cream as it has no dairy, but it is wonderful. It is fresh, and a little tart. It has a good mouth-feel and it is so simple.

3 large ripe bananas
125ml soya milk
75ml of sunflower oil
25ml of lemon juice
10ml of vanilla essence

Peel and slice the bananas thinly and arrange on a baking sheet. Put into the freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours.

Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend away. Keep going until it looks like ice-cream.

This can be served immediately, or can be popped in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden up a bit. Use within a week. Remove from the freezer for 2 hours to soften up, and stir before serving.

----
On Sunday, I used a shop-bought meringue nest and a scoop of banana ice-cream. This was topped with a couple of strawberries and a drizzle of melted dark chocolate.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a barbecue for seven last night...earlier in the week I'd bought a whole pork loin for half off, which we cut into boneless chops, so for the party I brined the chops in the following (U.S. measurements):

1 cup maple syrup (with the disclaimer that we'd bought an entire quart of real Michigan maple syrup last winter for maybe $8 -- a real coup in these parts, where tourists might pay that much for a half-pint in a decorative jug -- and were trying to finish up the last of the jar, which had been languishing in a corner of the fridge for many months)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 gallons water
1 TBS peppercorns
1 TBS mustard seed
2 tsp. dried thyme

Brought mixture to a boil; cooled to room temperature; poured over chops; let them marinate in the refrigerator for half a day.

I grilled these over lump charcoal, with some soaked beechwood chips thrown on just before putting on the meat. The brine made the chops very tender and flavorful. The only thing I might do differently in the future, if I'm ever again faced with the happy problem of too much maple syrup, is make an additional maple glaze to drizzle over the chops just before serving.

DP made New England style baked beans in a bean pot (a ceramic pot like a ginger jar, which goes into a slow oven for most of the day to achieve the desired bean flavor/texture). Our friends brought a tossed salad and a very tasty fruit salad -- multiple berries, orange sections and pineapple -- tossed with sugar and fruit juice, with tiny chunks of havarti cheese folded in.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just gone on to Amazon and ordered every Jane Grigson cookbook that I don't already have.

I cooked sole with parmesan out of her Fish book tonight.

Now, sprinkling fish with grated cheese is not, in itself, a new idea. It is basting it with the stock in which the fish has been briefly simmered (after being, equally briefly, fried in butter).

It sounds a bit complicated, but it is not really, same pan used throughout - but just that layering of method produces a fish which is so perfectly moist, yet topped with this delicious skin of melted cheese...

Same with her vegetable book, just never fails.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emboldened by my (inadvertent) success with the Riesling-taffy-apple sauce on roast pork tenderloin slices, I decided to reduce the Cabernet. I simmered it down with beef stock and a rosemary sprig, then cooked chopped onion in butter, added the wine reduction to it and cooked it down further. The result is a super-intense onion jam with a flavour that ping-pongs around in your mouth like Flubber. I am tempted to serve it with seared beef tenderloin, but these wine reduction sauces will wind up costing me a fortune in meat!
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most amazing chocolate pie ever

Crust:
2 cups pecan or other nut flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix together and press into pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool.

(You can also use a graham cracker crust if you'd rather.)

Filling:
1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, or a mix of both (we use 12 oz bittersweet and 4 oz semisweet; milk chocolate does not work with this recipe)
1 pound silken tofu

Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Transfer the melted chocolate into a blender. Add the tofu. Blend until completely mixed and smooth. Pour into pie shell. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Makes 16 servings.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to give credit where it's due -- I got the recipe from WatersOfBabylon.

The recipe is gluten-free, and it can easily be made dairy-free/vegan (just substitute vegan margarine for the butter in the crust). It's also extremely low in carbs, and so may be suitable for some people with diabetes.

It's easy to make.

And it's incredibly, amazingly delicious.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Josephine, where does one find pecan flour? Also, do you use regular baking chocolate for the bittersweet, or something fancier?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Lutheranchik : Kosher with pork? Sounds a bit of a contradiction, but perhaps kosher salt has a meaning for you I don't understand.

A great substitute for pepper with pork, veal, chicken and in terrines is an Italian spice mix given by Elizabeth David in either An Omelette and a Glass of Wine or Is there a Nutmeg in the House . It is mostly pepper with a nutmeg, some cloves and some juniper berries. As you need to roughly crush the nutmeg with a mortar and pestle before putting everything into an electic mill - coffee grinders are perfect but make sure you brush it thoroughly clean afterwards, I usually get the task. I can't recall the exact proportions but shall check this evening.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D, if I may: kosher salt refers to a larger grained salt. (Don't know what the product is called where you are.) Many cooks prefer using kosher salt because the larger grains somehow produce a less salty taste in food than regular iodized table salt.

We chez Leaf generally use kosher salt - sometimes you need to add a bit more if the recipe assumes you are using table salt.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Josephine, where does one find pecan flour? Also, do you use regular baking chocolate for the bittersweet, or something fancier?

You can make nut flours yourself if you have a nut grinder or a very, very sharp rotary grater, like this one. You can't make it in a food processor, because you get nut butter instead of nut flour.

You can also mail-order it from pecan orchards, like this one.

Bittersweet chocolate has just a bit of sugar in it; regular baking chocolate has none. I think you could get a very good result with part baking chocolate and part semi-sweet. I'm not sure what the proportions would be in that case -- maybe 1/4 baking chocolate and 3/4 semisweet, or maybe half of each?

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Random food related question - I use nutmeg a fair bit in cheese sauce but I've got several bits that have got so small I can't grate them without shredding my fingers on the grater. Is there anything I can do with them or a better sort of grater? Would a pestle and mortar work better? Thanks!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

I think that the fine barrel on the grater I linked to would allow you to grate even very small bits of nutmeg.

Or you can save them, and when you want the house to smell particularly nice, toss them, with some cloves and cinnamon sticks and orange or lemon peel, into a small pot of water. Put the pot on low heat.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight we're grilling again -- it's still chilly outside, but the rain is over, I'm told, for the next couple of days. We're having guests, including a 10-year-old, so we're keeping it simple -- burgers. I saw a recipe on TV the other day where the cook mixed crushed cheese crackers and some savory additions like Worchestershire sauce into ground beef, so that might be one choice; we also bought a box of pre-made/pre-seasoned turkey burgers on sale, and may offer a few of those as an alternative. We were going to go with beef and lamb -- we love lambburgers with Greek seasonings and feta cheese, tucked into a pita with cucumber sauce -- but most people on this side of the pond despise lamb, so we decided not to push our luck by making this half the main course. (Because we do business with a local farmer whose Icelandic sheep provide us with the most delicious lamb, we always have lots of lamb, in various cuts, in the freezer. At times we've even put out samples as additions to our "real" meal -- marinated lamb on skewers, etc. -- just to tempt our friends into trying it; even then, some of them will not touch it.)

[ 29. April 2009, 13:02: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you need any help with the quality control on your lamb, Lutheranchik, David and I would be delighted to oblige ... [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
most people on this side of the pond despise lamb,

How deeply sad for them.

I am looking forward to French Rack of Lamb tomorrow - a cut that would allow me to introduce some stuffing - any ideas?

Should include wholemeal breadcrumbs, of which I have a present supply.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

I would like to hereby except myself from the ranks of Americans Who Dislike Lamb. Granted, American lamb (for whatever reason) tends to be much more strongly flavored than British lamb, but that's part of the charm. Give me a good lamb stew or kabob any day of the week; I won't complain loudly at all. It's a shame that the sheep don't get the love they deserve over here.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh DEAR, Aristonetc!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Our farmer friend tells us that Icelandic sheep are naturally milder in flavor than other breeds...although I suspect that the quality of their graze also affects the flavor of the meat. We love it; and having had some awful, mutton-y lamb in the past, I initially had to be convinced that purchasing an entire lamb for the freezer was a good idea.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Do you have the hill grazing?

What makes Welsh and Scottish lamb so tasty (and ecologically sound) is that they subsist on moors and salt marshes and even seashores (the famous seaweed-grazing sheep of North Ronaldsay) which would support no other animal.

I have to say the only other lamb I've had a chance to sample - to wit, New Zealand - is seldom as flavoursome as British.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in our friends' fields -- the usual grassy-hilly-meadowy-marshy farm fields of mid-Michigan. But the sheep are naturally grassfed, unlike a lot of commercial operations, which may make a difference.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the stuffing for the lamb roast, I'd do something like this: (I'm a what-do-we-have-on hand? kind of cook, and very vague about measuring for things like this)

Your good bread crumbs- and I like a variety of size of crumbles or cubes for stuffings, fine minced onion, minced garlic, rosemary (all lamb-lovers should grow rosemary), flat leaf parsley, some jibbled up Greek black olives. Mix it all up well. Then for some moisture, some unsweetened applesauce - go easy, as you can always add more, but if it gets too wet, too bad. Then a mere dash of nutmeg. Leave out anything you don't like.

I had a very small sheep 'operation' for a number of years; never more than 15 ewes. We hardly ever ate "lamb" ourselves, as they were a crop to be sold. But we always had meat in the freezer. The young ewe who was a disappointment wound up feeding us instead of going to auction. My boys had no idea that some people didn't like lamb.

The sheep meat, and wool business in the USA is almost non-existent now. Much as I love our NZ and Aussie shippies, the preferential treatment by our government for their products have done us in. Farm flocks in small numbers - which is a good way to raise healthy sheep - is all there is.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like apricots with lamb. Perhaps some chopped dried apricots in the stuffing?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

Mmmm. Yes! Too bad we're not all going to sit down together and feast on this wonderful dish.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:

This was my thought. So I found the packet of dried apricots in the cupboard. Best before February 2007. I did crumb, onion, cumin, coriander and orange. It was OK.

Re the flocks of Michigan - grass fed is good, but is it grass no other ruminant will eat? It's the sheeply ability to live off the equivalent of coir matting, while standing around in wind and rain, which makes them so tasty.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... and even seashores (the famous seaweed-grazing sheep of North Ronaldsay) ...

You beat me to it, Firenze - I was going to say that where I come from, some of the sheep live on seaweed, and very good they are too.

One of my very favourite things is baked leg of lamb - make slits in the lamb and insert slivers of garlic, crushed coriander seeds and a sprig of rosemary in each slit. Rub a little butter over the leg and season with salt and pepper, slosh a little red wine* into the pan and then bake in the oven, basting occasionally. Bubble up the juices with a little redcurrant jelly to make gravy and serve with dauphinois potatoes and whatever veggies float your particular boat.

Mint sauce IMHO is an Abomination Before The Lord™. [Devil]

* Obviously, you'll have to drink the rest. [Biased]

[ 03. May 2009, 01:54: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Mint sauce IMHO is an Abomination Before The Lord

But organic mint jelly from Wiltshire Tracklements can be admitted to the tents of Israel? Or what about fresh mint from the garden mashed with a little sugar and balsamic vinegar?
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no - lamb, smeared in honey & brown sugar,sprinkled with a tad of rosemary and cooked in cider. Food from the gods...

Pre salé lamb from the salt marshes of Mont St Michel is delicious...working on the same principal of the seaweed eating sheep of the Hebrides/Shetlands/Western Isles (my Scottish geography is terrible!)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Okay, what exactly should I do with a salt marsh lamb that I get specifically to go with some cru Bordeaux (yes, I know you're supposed to match the wine to the food and not the other way 'round, but this is a special bottle, so I can make an exception)? I'm sure a stuffed bit of lambling would be good on a normal day, but I'm looking for something simple (and without mint jelly!*) to go with my wine.

*Not that I have anything against mint jelly; just that, whenever I have it, I end up focusing on it rather than the lamb. I think I rather like mint too much for my own good sometimes.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

AristonA , I would not drink a good Bordeaux with a mint sauce or jelly of any decription. The best sort of wines for mint sauces (none too vinegary) are young and fresh, with not much tannin and quite a bit of fruit.

I've just cooked a delicious boned half-leg which Madame bought from our butcher. This one weighed just under 1 kg. He ties mint and rosemary over the top. I cut out his string, opened out the leg and made slashes into the meat. I then made a wet paste of lemon zest and some juice, a bit of vegetable salt, some olive oil, a couple of criushed cloves of garlic and quite a bit of finely chopped thyme. I spread this over the inside og the meat, re-tied it and made slits in the outside. Spread the balance of the past over that, wrapped it in greassproof paper, popped into a freezer bag and left it 24 hours. Into a 240 C oven for 10 minutes then lowered the temp to 140 C for another 2 1/2 hours, with regular basting. I turned off the oven and left it in there for 10 minutes or so. The meat was tender and still pink, full of all sorts of flavours but mostly of lamb.

This all went with some baby potatoes tossed in oil and roasted at the same time. A green salad to follow. Madame and I enjoyed an old bottle of Coonawarra Shiraz/Cabernet (rather like a well aged Bordeaux, but totally different if you understand), allowing ourselves the luxury of finishing the bottle rather than limiting ourselves to 2 glasses each. A good old fashioned cheddar and Madame had cooked the first of the season's quinces to finish.

Work tomorrow.....

[ 03. May 2009, 10:34: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

That dinner sounds so good...my mouth is watering!

This morning we are thawing one of the chickens we purchased this fall from our Amish neighbors. DP is going to quarter it and poach the pieces in some seasoned chicken broth, and then we're going to charcoal grill them. Some time ago during our travels in northern Michigan she'd bought a bottle of raspberry chipotle grilling sauce -- while I'm more the scratch-cook experimenter, she's more the "Ooh! Shiny!" artisan-food-products shopper -- and we'll slather some of that on in the final minutes of cooking. I believe we're going to have it with rice and baby greens.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

This was my thought. So I found the packet of dried apricots in the cupboard. Best before February 2007.
Random question - can dried apricots actually go off? I guess they just get drier, but if you soaked them for a while wouldn't they be OK?

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We found that in our rather humid, at times, dried apricots can go mouldy so we now keep them in the fridge. as they are out of sight this mean we keep them rather longer as they don't get eaten surreptitiously one by one when nobody else is looking.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
We found that in our rather humid, at times, climate dried apricots can go mouldy so we now keep them in the fridge. as they are out of sight this mean we keep them rather longer as they don't get eaten surreptitiously one by one when nobody else is looking.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

And all these wonderful lamb dinners on Good Shepherd Sunday!

I know WiffWaff won't be my friend anymore, but I must truthfully say that cumin & coriander do not suit me at all. But - I keep my dried apricots as well as raisins in little baggies in the freezer. Yes they keep longer that way. [Biased]

--------------------
Oinkster

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

quote:
And all these wonderful lamb dinners on Good Shepherd Sunday!
The irony of that struck me in church today.

Good thing "Where Sheep May Safely Graze" was not on the playlist.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had that.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Lamb Chopped , Miss Piggy used become rather upset by pork recipes. I hope that this discussion of roast lamb does not hurt you.

We missed church yesterday as it was the Anzac service and parade at school - there from 8.15 to 11.30 overall, so missed even the 7 am. The multiple connotations of the Lamb being also the Shepherd are fascinating.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Waterworks] No, seriously, nothing's eating me! I don't mind a biting sense of humor...

(oh no, you've set me off)

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... the Hebrides/Shetlands/Western Isles (my Scottish geography is terrible!)

It certainly is. [Devil]

The name you were looking for is Orkney.

In Shetland sheep are not so much a source of food as of recreation ... [Eek!]

[ 04. May 2009, 03:46: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016