homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The natural yogurt will work if you decide to turn it into a chicken tarragon pasta salad. [Smile]

Otherwise, it might work if you let the food cool down quite a bit before stirring it in - lukewarm chicken pasta, if that appeals. But get the temperature wrong, and it will curdle.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't ever cook chicken, but I often substitute cream cheese thinned down with pasta cooking water for creme fraiche when I'm cooking creamy sauces.

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
K-H, I'm VERY dubious about using low fat yogurt in cooking, I'm not at all sure that it will work - this is through having tried similar things in the past and ending up with it curdling. Apart from that I think low fat ANYTHING is pretty much the work of the Devil - low fat often means low taste as well.

You could make a tomato based sauce with the herbs and shredded chicken and reduce it and it wouldn't necessarily be heavy.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, I've got cream cheese but it's the garlic and herb sort which would defeat the object of using fresh tarragon. I've also got feta. Maybe I could crumble that in instead of making a sauce??

ps, I KNEW WW would say something about low fat yoghurt being of the devil! [Biased]

[ 29. May 2009, 13:14: Message edited by: Keren-Happuch ]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
...ps, I KNEW WW would say something about low fat yoghurt being of the devil! [Biased]

I'm that predictable, huh?

It was probably a race between piglet and I to say it as she holds the same view. I'd rather have 5 ml of something tasty than 10 ml of something bland.

Yogurt is difficult enough at the best of times - the Punjabi way of frying it into a sauce seems to work okay, though.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, in the end we went for the tomato version, as suggested by Wiff Waff, and added some feta at the end. And very good it was too, especially with a bit of rocket salad. [Smile]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
...ps, I KNEW WW would say something about low fat yoghurt being of the devil! ...

... It was probably a race between piglet and I to say it as she holds the same view. I'd rather have 5 ml of something tasty than 10 ml of something bland.

Yea and amen, Wiffles. [Biased]

Your first idea with the chicken and tarragon sounded lovely, K-H. If you like tarragon (like Marmite, most people seem to either love it or loathe it), it's also nice with poached salmon, and I remember fondly a dish I had at a restaurant in Londonderry that involved smoked haddock in a tarragon and cream sauce with pasta, which was infinitely nicer than you might think. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

There was lots about tarragon in the Grauniad magazine today - quite helpful as we've got an enormous bush of the stuff and I never remember to try it in things! Chicken and fish are the two things I know it works with.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a kilo and a half of brisket which I'm planning to do in the slow cooker on Sunday. However, I can't decide whether to rub a salt, pepper, garlic and paprika type combination in and wrap it tightly in foil in the fridge (as some recipes suggest) or to marinate it in red wine, onions, etc.

Recommendations?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I've got a kilo and a half of brisket which I'm planning to do in the slow cooker on Sunday. However, I can't decide whether to rub a salt, pepper, garlic and paprika type combination in and wrap it tightly in foil in the fridge (as some recipes suggest) or to marinate it in red wine, onions, etc.

Recommendations?

Thurible

If I had your brisket, I'd do all the things you mentioned. But I'd put it in a glass or enamel bowl, and start it on Friday night. It will be delicious! Turn it over a few times & stir up the marinade. Mmm.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, lately I have been feeling daunted by one of our household's meat staples: pork chops (boneless, butterfly-cut). What is your favourite "go-to" recipe for pork chops? What would you recommend as a delicious and unusual way with this cut? Thanking you in advance.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For butterfly cut - cranberry stuffing is delicious with them.

For regular boneless pork chops - done in the oven with a sweet and sour sauce - crushed pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, onions and vinegar.

Now I am hungry!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saute some button onions with chopped smoked streaky bacon or pancetta. Turn chops to seal, then add cider to just cover, add fresh or dried thyme. Simmer til done. Five minutes before the end, add chunks of apple. A minute before end, stir in creme fraiche.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thurible , keep it away from foil. Glass, china and perhaps stainless steel are what you need. The foil will add off flavours generally. It will react with the wine to go dirty brown in looks and taste.

I'd use either, but not both. A long slow cook later will help it become tender and juicy.

As for the pork chops: most new style pork has very little fat and turns dry easily in cooking. Veal is in the same category. A friend of ours told Madame D to brush a plate with oil and then spread with thyme and a bit of rosemary chopped very finely together, and a salt free spice mix of your choice. Place the pork on top, brush it with oil and then your hebs and spices. Leave a day, then cook in an open pan for 15 minues a side on very low heat. Keep the meat warm while you remove the excess oil and do a quick deglazing sauce. Salt in the spice mix apparently makes the meat dry. She cooks pork this way every couple of weeks and not a bad dish since.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have read, marked, and (hopefully) will inwardly digest. Thank you.
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made cherry clafouti yesterday. It was delicious - although it looked a bit rubbery, it tasted fine with a big dollop of creme fraiche.

After Tzatziki chicken, sweet potato wedges and green salad + cherry clafouti I was stuffed to the gunnels. J'avais trop bien manger (I had eaten too well...or something like that!)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love cherry clafouti. Around here we have the dark sweet cherries, which add a somethin'-somethin' to that and other cherry recipes...not as tart, but more complex.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
markey
Shipmate
# 14847

- Posted      Profile for markey   Email markey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies if this has already appeared but as British raspberries are now in the shops I thought people might enjoy it - with thanks to Rick Stein.
Cranachan
50g (2oz) medium oatmeal
300 ml (10 fl oz) double cream
3 tablespoons runny honey
350g (12oz) raspberries

Whisk the cream until it starts to thicken and add the honey.
Continue whisking until the cream/honey mixture forms stiff peaks.
Add the oatmeal and raspberries and gently fold in.
You can add whisky into it with the oatmeal and raspberries but it's great without.

It's a lovely dessert
Markey

Posts: 136 | From: south east England | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clafouti is magnificent. As sour cherries are hard to come by here, we normally use sweet rather than a jar of the sour ones. I know its not the origunal, but Madame does make a version using frozen raspberries. It's nearly as good and after the cooking who would know that they were frozen?

I like the sound of Markey's raspberry oatmeal porridge. A chilly change has descended on Sydney, and a porridge pudding would go down well - a sort of winter version of summer pudding. As with our usual clafouti, a King Island honey and cinnamon yoghurt wold go well I imagine.

We can buy a good mix of frozen berries as well as plain raspberries. Berries other than strawberries do not grow well in Oz, and having a bulk frozen berry outlet nearby is a boon.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A memorable raspberry dessert I experienced consisted of nothing more than half-frozen raspberries tossed with some Grand Marnier and poured over premium-quality vanilla-bean ice cream.

Today we took an adventure trip to Michigan's Thumb region -- a part of the state I've never traveled in before. We drove the highway that runs along the coast looking for, among other things, interesting local foods. We had the best smoked salmon I think I've ever had at the Bay Port Fish Co. -- they sell absolutely fresh, lovely Lake Huron salmon, walleye, perch and whitefish filets at prices competitive with supermarket fish, as well as a few varieties of smoked fish and a rather amazing array of whole freshwater species. Sadly, in our several-hour meander up the coast, this was the only off-the-dock purveyor of fresh fish; a grocer in the area told me, glumly, that there was no local market for fish, and that the licensing cost for carrying it was cost-prohibitive. Sigh. (People around here just don't care about food quality.)

We also visited a winery -- a novelty in this part of the state -- whose niche market seems to be fruit wines, although they do bottle some familiar grape varietals. The cab/merlot was fairly good, food-friendly stuff (Michigan has a touchy climate for red-wine grapes, so any successful vintage is a cause for applause)...I didn't much care for the other grape wines...I did like the rhubarb wine, which made DP gag, but the white currant wine was somewhere south of awful (I don't think green pepper is a flavor a vintner should be going for in a dessert wine), and even the strawberry wine was disappointing. But they get an A for effort; and, unlike most of the tasting rooms in tony northwest Michigan, our tasting was free, as many varieties as we wished to try.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by markey:

You can add whisky into it ... but it's great without.

Without??? [Confused]

I actually use Drambuie rather than whisky, added to the cream once it's thickened - if you put it in at the start it'll never thicken. I toast the oatmeal lightly, let it cool and then mix it with some brown sugar and sprinkle it over the top. I've also made it using one of those mixtures of frozen berries, which is quite nice, if a little heretical. Fresh blackberries make a really nice decoration for the top.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if plain soy milk will work as a replacement of regular milk in a cooked dish? I have a recipe that would be vegan if I could get out the milk. Thanks!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My elder daughter is vegan and I've used soya milk in cooking. It makes a very good rice pudding.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eloise
Shipmate
# 4292

- Posted      Profile for Eloise   Email Eloise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used soy milk successfully in scones, too.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - The Red Queen

Posts: 419 | From: Bay Area, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use soy milk as milk replacement. The only ones that I've seen advise against Soy are some of the Indian recipes by Anjum Anand.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
V. Fast Tuna Salad (for sandwiches):

1 5oz. (140 grams) can of name-brand tuna in water, drained
1 tsp. celery seed or 3 stalks celery, chopped
2 tbsp. prepared mayonnaise
1 tbsp. dill or sweet pickle relish

Combine ingredients in small bowl, spread on good whole wheat bread
Enjoy!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by markey:

You can add whisky into it ... but it's great without.

Without??? [Confused]

I actually use Drambuie rather than whisky, added to the cream once it's thickened - if you put it in at the start it'll never thicken. I toast the oatmeal lightly, let it cool and then mix it with some brown sugar and sprinkle it over the top. I've also made it using one of those mixtures of frozen berries, which is quite nice, if a little heretical. Fresh blackberries make a really nice decoration for the top.

Piglet, I think I need a field trip to the Rock may be in order. My mouth is watering!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, ElaineC, Eloise, and daisydaisy, I'll give it a shot.

I'm not vegan myself, BTW. I'm cooking for a potluck where there are a lot of vegetarians and vegans. I wanted to prepare something that everyone could eat. [Smile]

[ 08. June 2009, 13:39: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I've used soy milk as a substitute with general success. If you're using it in baked goods, be advised that they'll brown faster, so you'll have to watch the timing more carefully or tick down the temp a notch if possible.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

On the menu tonight: Some of our smoked fish from yesterday's travels folded into a dilled cream sauce over pasta. I'm trusting the good omega-3 in the salmon will cancel out the cholesterol in the cream. [Biased]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
For some reason, lately I have been feeling daunted by one of our household's meat staples: pork chops (boneless, butterfly-cut). What is your favourite "go-to" recipe for pork chops?

Simple recipe for pork and apple casserole, best prepared the night before it's needed:
A quanity of pork chops or preferably pork steaks (no bone or fat), sufficient to cover the bottom of a large casserole dish - allow enough for at least one per person.
Cover with a layer of sliced onion,a layer of sliced mushrooms and then a layer of peeled, cored, sliced sharp eating apples. Sprinkle with sage and thyme. Cover with another layer of onions and apple slices, sprinkle with sage and thyme.
Add a sufficient quanity of cheap cider as stock - what we usually refer to as "washing cider" - the sort that comes in plastic rather than glass bottles, cover with foil and leave overnight. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours on about gas mark 4. About half hour before serving, add a small pot of single cream, season to taste and take the foil off to allow the sauce to boil off a little.
Serve with mashed potato and good quality cider such as Westons.
Sorry this is a bit vague, I can't give exact quantities or timings, it depends on how many you are feeding and how big your casserole dish is. When cooked, the meat is really tender and falls apart as it's been marinading in the cider for some hours. Enjoy!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

The grocer near our church always has specials on whole pork loins, so we'll buy one and then cut it up ourselves, at a ridiculous discount. Our favorite way to eat chops is grilled, either outside or on the indoor contact grill; we like them simply made, with either some boughten spicy rub on them or marinated a few hours beforehand -- a favorite bottle vinaigrette can work well, or buttermilk seasoned with herbs/spices of one's choice.

My mother was fond of baking loin chops (or their poorer cousins the pork steak); she'd coat them with crushed cornflake crumbs seasoned with seasoned salt or whatever herbs appealed to her, then bake them in a medium oven for about an hour. I've done the same, first coating the chops in a mixture of 1/3 tamari soy sauce, 1/3 honey and 1/3 spicy mustard, then coating them with the cereal crumbs.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Slightly [Hot and Hormonal] question for Firenze and St. Gwladys: what kind of cider? Cider with alcohol content? I've certainly no objections to using it [Big Grin] , but cider is not well-known or much drunk/used in these parts. (I have used apple juice cut with chicken stock as a pork braising liquid; apple juice alone makes the pork way too sweet.) If you mean cider with alcohol content, do different ciders have different levels of alcohol content? If so, about what percentage would you recommend?

Thanks very much to all who have posted their pork recipe suggestions... I am looking forward to trying a few of these!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Lilypad, just give us time to whisk the cream and de-frost the berries. [Smile]

Lutheranchik, your smoked salmon with dill, cream and pasta sounds heavenly. **drools**

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

St Gwladys , any clues on what gas mark 4 might mean please?

--------------------

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An oven temperature convertor with Gas Mark advice is at hints and things. It's roughly 180C or 350F.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Slightly [Hot and Hormonal] question for Firenze and St. Gwladys: what kind of cider? Cider with alcohol content?

In the UK cider is always an alcoholic drink. Otherwise, it's apple juice.

For cooking, I would use any common brand in tins - but make sure it is 'Dry' (and not medium-dry, or, God forbid, Sweet). ABV usually about 4 to 5%

The range of good drinking ciders has improved a lot in late years, with matured ciders, single varietals, organic etc. Those come in bottles and can range up to 7%.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank's Frin - thought it might have come after marks 1, 2 and 3 like those quaint old Ford Zephyrs.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Not a double post. In Oz, we can get quite decent local alcoholic cider - if it's not the wide range, at least we don't get some of the scrumpies I've been subjected to in tiny West Country pubs. A dry cider would be a good combination with Lutheranchik's pasta with smoked salmon.

For as lomg as I can remember, back to the early to mid 50's that is, there's been a sweetish non-alcoholic cider as well. It used be a luxury product, but the price differential between that and ordinary soft drinks (sodas) has narrowed much over the years. These days, it is often called sparkling apple juice, being a carbonated juice with some sort of preservative. It's a good drink for teenage boys. The colour and head are similar to beer, but the lack of alcohol and the sweetness still appeals.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pork and apple in cider is what I'm cooking tonight, coincidentally. I throw in a handful of apricots to give it a zing.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leaf:
[qb]

For cooking, I would use any common brand in tins - but make sure it is 'Dry' (and not medium-dry, or, God forbid, Sweet). ABV usually about 4 to 5%

The range of good drinking ciders has improved a lot in late years, with matured ciders, single varietals, organic etc. Those come in bottles and can range up to 7%.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Oops - misposted! I use Woodpecker or whatever is cheapest - it doesn't seem to make much difference which cider I use, but I usually go for a medium sweet or medium dry. I tend to use either Cox, Braeburn or Gala apples - anything with a bit of flavour. It's a bit of a "chuck it in" type of recipe.

[Edit: UBB for source (?sauce?) clarification]

[ 10. June 2009, 00:33: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the place for serendipitous culinary discoveries?

Today I made duck a l'orange , then not to waste the left-overs started some soup, saved the excess fat for frying and then considered the remaining orange sauce and orange segments. They looked suspiciously like dessert so I had a rake around and came up with some really good belgian chocolate ice cream.

I therefore submit for the general consumption of everyone who's not on a 4 C's diet, chocolate ice-cream with orange sauce and sauteed orange segments.

For the Orange Sauce...
A smidge of butter
1 Large Orange zested, peeled and in segments.
1 glass Wine
1 glass Orange Juice
A pinch of salt
A smidge of chilli powder or Zulu Fire Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Honey or Brown Sugar

Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan and clarify it. I was frying onions in mine but I don't think that's important.

Add the orange segments, most of the zest and the other ingredients in order. Simmer until reduced to taste.

Serve over good chocolate ice-cream. Eat quickly or mix into cholcolate-orange puree.
Cattyish

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Cattyish, that pudding sounds great, but is a smidge of butter the same size as a smidge of chilli powder?

[Eek!] [Smile]

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Re cider: Brining is a trendy thing this side of the pond...we've cider-brined chops and turkey breast using savory-veg-and-herb-enhanced non-alcoholic cider and coarse salt. The result is very good if the meat is brined long enough for the flavor to really soak in.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Wish me luck, fellow foodmates.

I am going to try one of those marriage of ingredients which may not work. I have a pk of posh arborio rice with pumpkin and some gammon steaks.

I thought I would make a risotto, while treating the gammon to a sort of saute-cum-braise in some fruit-based medium (cider? orange juice?) before cutting in strips and mixing together. Or should I chop up the gammon before cooking (more surface exposure to favourings vs chance of drier meat)?

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

What's gammon, please?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a more accurate description than I could muster without the internet.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Thanks!

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

If you haven't already proceded, I'd suggest cutting up the gammon after cooking. It lessens the chance of little vulcanized cubes of meat mixed with rice. But the whole plan seems pretty sound to me.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016