homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken: The extended family loves Mexican food -- I'll have to copy that recipe!

Speaking of quick salads (several posts ago) -- here's one that we like at our house, and that's good to take to potlucks. I don't do a lot of measuring, so this is all approximate:

Chinese Cabbage Salad

4 cups shredded napa cabbage (the large, crinkly light-green bullet-shaped pseudo-cabbages in the Asian section of the produce aisle)
3 sliced green onions
1 red bell pepper, slivered (opt.)

1/4 cup soy sauce/tamari
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS rice vinegar
1 TBS oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (opt.)
a shot of sweet chili sauce (opt.)

1 package of ramen noodles -- just the noodles; discard seasoning packet
2 TBS sliced almonds
1 TBS sesame seeds (opt.)

Crumble ramen noodles, combine with almonds and sesame seeds in a dry saute pan and brown over low heat until golden. Set aside to cool.

Mix dressing ingredients; adjust to taste. Set aside.

Combine vegetables. Toss with dressing. Top with browned topping ingredients.

And a quick Mexican-ish salad:

Corn and Bean Salad

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can crispy-sweet corn, drained, or equivalent frozen corn, thawed (the crispy-sweet is a firm, supersweet variety of corn that's a bit more flavorful and nicely textured than standard canned corn)
a couple of green onions, sliced
a generous handful of cilantro or parsley, chopped
juice of half a lime
1/4 cup salsa, your choice, mixed with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, sour cream or a combination

Mix the veggies together; squeeze the half lime over the veggies. Mix the salsa and salad dressing of choice together; fold into salad. Chill before serving. Some chopped fresh tomato or halved grape tomatoes can add more color interest, too.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a craving for coffee mousse.

Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't include gelatine?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just made two loaves of challah, to use up some eggs and milk in a timely way. I used the Dough setting on the bread machine, waited until the dough was nicely risen, punched it down and formed two short braids which I placed in bread pans and poked down into the corners...I always have a hard time with braided breads because they wind up spreading too much, and I'm also wanting toast and sandwich bread, so this was an aesthetic compromise.;-) The dough contained 2 eggs, and calls for an additional egg wash before the loaves go in the oven. I haven't made hand-loaved bread in years -- actually since I purchased my first bread machine -- so it will be interesting to see if I still have the knack.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reallyl enjoy green salads that include fruit.

My favorite is romaine (or, if you can get it, heirloom butterhead lettuce) with chunks of apple, kalamata olives, and pecans. Toss with a store-bought raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

Spinach and strawberries with some crumbly cheese is a classic. It's usually dressed with a sweet oil and vinegar dressing of some sort.

Any kind of lettuce can be tossed with orange segments (canned or fresh), some sesame seeds or almonds, or maybe some shredded coconut, and a citrusy dressing of some sort.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I love the spinach/strawberry salad -- also good with leaf lettuce. Feta or a blue-veined cheese makes good crumbles...or use a hard, sharp cheese like Asiago.

The other day I got this recipe , for white bean salad, sent to my Google page -- it looks really good, and because DP sometimes has issues with raw vegetables the idea of cooking the salad veg first would probably make it more feasible for our house.

Every so often in the summer we get a yen for spaghetti salad -- actually any pasta would do -- it's a locally popular concoction, served cold: cooked spaghetti, equal parts bottled Italian and Catalina (I don't know if that translates across pondage -- a particularly sweet red French dressing) dressings, Parmesan cheese, chopped tomatoes and cucumber, and various seasonings depending on who's making it. A popular addition is something called "Salad Sensation," a bottled mixture of dried cheese, sesame and poppy seeds and a paprika-heavy assortment of spices. I think using one's own grated hard cheese and herbs is a better alternative.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At last I've found a decent recipe for dairy-free cheesecake - the ones I've tried to make in teh past have either not set or have turned to crumbly, or the tofu taste really stands out. But this one is pretty passable - even my tofu-hating friend thought it was pretty good:

• Base:
    2 cups crunched up digestive biscuits
    4 tablespoons margerine
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Topping:
    12oz silken tofu
    half cup soy milk
    half cup unrefined sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    quarter cup maple syrup
  • Prepare a 9 inch springform pan (I put a base of oiled parchment in)
    Put the oven on to 325 F or 180 C
  • Make the base: whizz up the digestive bicuits until it looks like coarse flour, add the sugar. Melt the margerine and mix into the biscuit/sugar mix. Press into the pan.
  • Make the topping: Put the tofu into a muslin or equvalent and squeeze as much water out as you can. Whizz all the ingredients together until you get a nice smooth pourable mix.
  • At this point I stirred in freshly picked raspberries and blackberries.
  • Pour the topping mix over the base and flatten. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and put somewhere cool until it is at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 10 hours.
I don't know if it will freeze but I'm giving that a go because although my friend and I both liked it a 9 inch cheesecake is more than we could manage in one sitting [Razz] but I'm taking some in for my colleagues to try.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Comet part one.

Ruggies Nuts

Pecans
Sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg*
Ancho Chile Powder**
Water

Put a single layer of pecans in a frying pan. Heat over medium heat until the pecans just get hot. Add enough sugar to come up to at least half way up the pecans. Add a lot of cinnamon(should nearly cover the pecan sugar mix.) Add a dash of nutmeg and several dashes of chile powder. Add 2 Tablespoons of water(just enough to dissolve the sugar.) Boil over medium heat until virtually all water has evaporated. Dump out on some parchment paper. Wait until cool enough to handle and eat.

*not necessary but it adds just a touch of class.
**not necessary no wait it is do not leave this ingredient out. Oh I suppose you can use any chile powder just be wary of going from interesting(ancho) to painful(habanero).

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Comet part 2. If you can do the last one this will be essentially the same.

Ruggies Choco Globs(thanks for the name Comet)

Walnuts
Sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg*
Ancho Chile Powder**
Water
Dark Chocolate

Put a single layer of walnuts in a frying pan. Heat over medium heat until the walnuts just get hot. Add enough sugar to come up to at least half way up the pecans. Add a lot of cinnamon(should nearly cover the pecan sugar mix.) Add a dash of nutmeg and several dashes of chile powder. Add 2 Tablespoons of water(just enough to dissolve the sugar.) Boil over medium heat until virtually all water has evaporated. Turn the heat down and throw in enough chocolate to coat/glob up the walnuts. As soon as the Chocolate has melted dump on some parchment paper. Refrigerate until solid. Break up the pieces and enjoy.

*not necessary but it adds just a touch of class.
**not necessary no wait it is do not leave this ingredient out. Oh I suppose you can use any chile powder just be wary of going from interesting(ancho) to painful(habanero).

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beetroot. I know I really ought to only plant things which I like on the allotment, but the fact is that beetroot grows so well for me, and I like the leaves, young, in salads. Of course, I forgot to pick them at that stage so now I have massive (think very large potato size) beetroots.

What can I do with them? I saw this being cooked at the weekend on the tv so I may try this, but there's still a lot of beetroot to get through...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put it in a cake! Beetroot Cake from Riverford Organics

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or a Chocolate Beetroot Cake.

Curious (hating flood control!)

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roast beetroot along with any other vegetable you would normally roast.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
Or a Chocolate Beetroot Cake.

Curious (hating flood control!)

In the oven as I type. Surprisingly sloppy. I don't think my kitchen will ever lose the pink tinge!

I also tried those veggie burgers for dinner. Squeeze out the excess water and they could be very nice....

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried chocolate beetroot brownies from a Grauniad recipe a while ago. They came out quite well but you need the 70% chocolate to hide the pink! I only used 50% cocoa and they looked very odd!

Beetroot soup is our standby, but probably more of a winter thing.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I second the recommendation for roasting beets...they taste great and the prep isn't as labor intensive as for other beet dishes.

We also like sliced beets with avocado, some milder member of the onion family and a vinaigrette or creamy dressing drizzled over the top.

Or...I used to have a recipe for a potato salad that called for cooked beets as an ingredient -- the potatoes, beets and onion were mixed with a sour cream/dill sauce, and served with chopped cucumber on top...pink potato salad with a Nordic/Eastern European flavor.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a recipe for something called red flannel hash that uses beets, but it's more of a cold-weather dish.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Last night we had grilled whitefish -- I was out of inspiration, and it was too rainy to grill outside, so I marinated the filets in some dry white wine, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and mixed herbs from the garden (dill, chives, lemon thyme). Very good; would have been better if marinated a little longer.

DP just made a wonderful baked macaroni and cheese that uses raw pasta -- just mix everything in a pan and stick it in the oven. We're always buying "no commitment" tag end pieces of cheese from our foodie excursions (a way to enjoy imported cheeses on the cheap), and these in turn become smaller tag ends in our fridge -- she added our current assortment into the recipe, and the result was really good; guestworthy, in fact. She topped the casserole with panko crumbs -- added bonus.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
panko crumbs
Well, I've been cooking a very long time indeed, but I had to look that one up. I discover I've used them many times but I've never heard that term before.

I even found recipes for them and glowing recommendations for the recipe. I discovered I've been making them all these years myself.

LC, I'm not having a go at you. I'm truly surprised to find that such simple things as breadcrumbs have recipes and I really do not think I had ever heard the term before. Tell me, in your part of the world are these perhaps a commercial thing and homemade crumbs go by a different name?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Here the panko is usually imported -- they're lighter than homemade breadcrumbs. (Dare I say they have a look and mouth feel that remind me of crumbled Communion wafers?) Because they're so light and thin they crisp up nicely in the oven or when fried, without imparting a thick or overpowering bread coating to the food underneath.

They're considered somewhat fancy-dancy, although I can find them now even in our small-town grocery. My mother's crisp topping of choice was always crushed cornflakes, and I still prefer those for certain recipes.

At our house usually eat our homemade bread well before any of it can be recycled into breadcrumbs. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:

Heat 1/2 pint double cream (but do not boil), add 3 heaped tsp of coarsely ground coffee and leave to infuse. Strain off the grounds through a fine seive, keeping the cream warm. Add 50gm of white chocolate broken up. Stir until the chocolate has melted; this is not as easy as you think as it has a different composition to 'real' chocolate. let it cool and chill for several hours or overnight.
Next day beat it until it becomes quite thick - slightly thicker than mousse texture and then carefully fold in 2 beaten egg whites. Allow to cool for a few more hours.

This is not a dish for those with cholestrol problems [Biased]

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beetroot roasted with onions makes a good salad. You add pecans or walnuts and goats cheese at the end of cooking, swirl in some balsamic vinegar and then serve with green salad.

I like raw beetroot grated with cheese as a sandwich or baked potato filling. I've eaten a German salad mix which was made of grated beetroot, hazelnuts, soused herring and something like grated horseradish which might be worth trying - no idea what else went into it though.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
panko crumbs -- added bonus.

An added bonus to panko bread crumbs is their sodium content. They have much less sodium than the other bread crumbs.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's that time of year! Here's a recipe that's nice and crisp, loaded with fresh berry taste, not too sweet, not at all syrupy.

Fresh berry crisp

2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup (or a bit more) firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup butter
6 cups fresh berries

Mix all the ingredients except the berries until they're crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 13x9 pan to form a crust. Cover the crust with the berries. Crumble the remaining crust mixture evenly over the berries.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's good!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made my very own fresh pesto this weekend (I wanted a small bunch of basil to bake an aubergine with but I could only get a humungous bunch so I pestoised the rest)

I've already cooked pasta and slathered it all over a roast chicken, what else could I do with it?

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I swear I've put on a couple of kilos just reading some of these recipes.

Ok, another translation needed please. What are green onions? Are they round like brown or red onions or long and skinny like spring onions? I don't think I've come across them before.

Thanks

Huia - vegetably challenged. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, I have always sort of just assumed they are what I would more normally call spring onions or scallions. If not then I've been using the wrong stuff for years but it seems to have worked out okay.

That berry recipe sounds gorgeous!

The coffee mousse recipe makes me hate my caffeine/chocolate allergies even more.

As for the pesto - have you tried stuffing mushrooms with it? Get some large mushrooms, dust and destalk. Chop stalks and mix with pesto. Place mushrooms upside down on a baking tray lightly greased with olive oil. Put a spoon of the stalk/pesto mix in or on each mushroom cap. Wop it all in the oven at medium heat for a while.

Take out, allow to cool for as long as you can resist the aroma then scoff. This makes a great and very tasty starter.

Thanks to my friend Jackie from Liverpool who made them for me one day when I went for lunch.

You can keep the stalks and use for something else, if you want, and just use the pesto as the stuffing.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have you tried substituting agar or carageen for gelatine? I make yummy vegan jellies with these using interesting fruit juices (for example, mango)
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Green onions=spring onions/scallions, yes.

Last night we had grilled teriaki salmon (on the contact grill, since it was pouring outside) with the aforementioned napa cabbage salad -- very good.

Today I'm finishing up freezing raspberries...we bought 5 quarts from an area Amish family who keep a roadside stand. I freeze them first in a single layer on a flat sheet, then pop them into freezer bags; this seems to work best. (And if the raspberries are a bit soft/overrripe, pre-freezing makes them easier to handle.

It's blueberry season now...we freeze these with minimal preparation, just a good wash, and just pop them out as needed while still frozen for a snack, for smoothies, etc. Yesterday DP buzzed up a handful in the blender with a banana, vanilla yogurt and a few ice cubes for breakfast...good!

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:

As for the pesto - have you tried stuffing mushrooms with it? Get some large mushrooms, dust and destalk. Chop stalks and mix with pesto. Place mushrooms upside down on a baking tray lightly greased with olive oil. Put a spoon of the stalk/pesto mix in or on each mushroom cap. Wop it all in the oven at medium heat for a while.

Take out, allow to cool for as long as you can resist the aroma then scoff. This makes a great and very tasty starter.

I might add some breadcrumbs and parmesan on top before wopping in the oven. But yummy, yummy!!!

I've made a gratin dauphinoise in a different way today. Simmering butter and cream, then adding the potatoes for about 10 minutes prior to putting it in the oven. The smells wafting upstairs are making my tummy rumble. To be eaten with braised leeks and slices of cold ham.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Wiff Waff and Lutheran Chik.

I'm making Savoury Gabanzo Beans with vegetable for tea, but I may have to substitute red onions for green as we are still in the depths of winter here.

I was looking for recipes with garbanzo beans, which are called chickpeas here and I came across Just Bean Recipes which has enough to last a lifetime. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
quote:

Heat 1/2 pint double cream (but do not boil), add 3 heaped tsp of coarsely ground coffee and leave to infuse. Strain off the grounds through a fine seive, keeping the cream warm. Add 50gm of white chocolate broken up. Stir until the chocolate has melted; this is not as easy as you think as it has a different composition to 'real' chocolate. let it cool and chill for several hours or overnight.
Next day beat it until it becomes quite thick - slightly thicker than mousse texture and then carefully fold in 2 beaten egg whites. Allow to cool for a few more hours.

This is not a dish for those with cholestrol problems [Biased]

OOh, thank you, I'll give it a go. would it work with milk chocolate too, or does that make it too mocha?

Daisydaisy,I have tried using gelatine substitutes, but have never been succesful. It usually goes grainy.

I like the look of that berry pud too, might try that as I have raspberries and blueberries from the garden at the moment.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree Bee , you could try leaf gelatine instead of powder, but carefully follow the directions on the packet - it needs to be briefly soaked, then squeezed dry. Or perhaps use a small processor to dissolve the gelatine powder in a small amount of the liquid you're using. Agar-agar is another possibility, and has a rather more neutral flavour than gelatine if your mousse is very delicte.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It's good!

Well, no wonder! "a cup of butter"
[Yipee]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Going back to the salad requests...in the New York Times this past week Mark Bittman offered, like, literally 100+ salad ideas using minimal ingredients...whenever I try to share the exact link with my friends it just takes me to the "Register" page, so I'll just direct you all to The New York Times front page and you can search from there.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have a suggestion for making a salad with couscous, preferably using mint as one of the ingredients?

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

John: Try this recipe .

Orange flavors work really well with couscous too, I think.

At our place we needed a quick dinner for a busy day this evening...I marinated a couple of pork chops for several hours in bottled raspberry vinaigrette dressing amended with a few splashes of balsamic vinegar, a sliced-up scallion, a spoonful of Dijon mustard and cracked pepper. I grilled the chops in the contact grill, pouring spoonfuls of marinade over the chops every few minutes. They turned out really well; and I'm thinking the chops could also have been simply seasoned and pan-fried, and then a sauce made with all the above ingredients swirled about in the hot pan, then poured over the chops.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cooking-related question here. What would all you good cooks recommend as a basic cookbook for a young adult moving into her first apartment?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

What's her skill-level and her budget?

The Joy of Cooking has a wide variety of recipes and lots basic information about ingredients, substitutions, and the like -- things that you don't find in most cookbooks.

The New Cookbook for Poor Poets by Ann Rogers is one of my favorite cookbooks -- it assumes a very tight budget and a kitchen without a bare minimum of equipment.

Clueless in the Kitchen by Evelyn Raab is wonderful -- easy recipes, clear explanations of everything. But the subtitle is "A cookbook for teens," so if the young woman would find that insulting, you might not want this cookbook. (It's not just for teens, though -- I bought it for my kids learning to cook, but I use recipes in it myself regularly.)

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Better Homes and Gardens has had useful cookbooks over the years. I cut my teeth on an ancient addition. It tells you all sorts of things that other books take for granted that you know. And look! Ring-bound!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I second the BHG recommendation. I cherish my very dogeared copy.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anything to choose between The Joy of Cooking and The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I have both: the Fannie Farmer brownies are always very much appreciated at morning coffee after church.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
A cooking-related question here. What would all you good cooks recommend as a basic cookbook for a young adult moving into her first apartment?

I hesitate to recommend a particular title, since all my foundational texts are probably long out of print: however, I would suggest two or three kinds of cookbook. Besides the fast, simple recipes (Nigel Slater's Good Fast Food might still be around), I would get a classic compendium, which includes all the basic information on food and its preparation - what to do with an artichoke, how long to cook carrots, roasting times for meat, how to make a roux, how to bake a cake. My one of this type is The Cookery Year pub Readers Digest. 40 years on, I still go to it.

And on classics, Jane Grigson Fish and Vegetables are currently available in pb. They not only have failsafe recipes, but convey a love of cooking/food.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are Delia Smith's books still available? Some of her simpler ones [Cooking for One?] are excellent.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S. Delia's One is Fun is still available and The Pauper's Cookbook is very good.

Certainly I cut my teeth on the former.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The James Beard Cookbook is excellent for complete beginners. It even tells you how to boil water.

The quantities are excessive. One recipe says, "Three pounds of Canadian bacon will easily serve ten people if you also serve eggs."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The internet is where I find simple recipes. I still refer (carefully) to Peg Bracken's I hate to Cook books. Sometimes I still want to have a giggle too...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I like Mr. Food Cooks Like Mama. It has some good basic cooking information such as internal temperatures of food, approximate times to cook roasts, and good pairings of herbs and spices.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still depend on my Mother's (she's been gone since 1989 (bless her wonderful soul) post-WW2 Betty Crocker cookbook. Good, basic food, sensibly presented, and a nice picture of 1950 USA.

It's easy to elaborate the recipes, if you want to, and the basic techniques are timeless.

My favorite tip is: "If chicken is unavailable, or too high priced, you can always substitute veal."

How times change.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I love older cookbooks -- even the venerable Mrs. Beeton's. (Not practical for the young cook in question, though!) I have the battered remains of "the big green cookbook" that my mother received for a wedding shower present in the early '50's -- she herself never cared for it, but I love it -- very lard-intensive, seasoning-shy recipes in ginormous quantities. Some of them have even held up over time...the bread pudding, for instance, is quite good.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016