homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quail noodle soup for the soul

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon you'd need a hell of a lot of quails to make enough soup for your soul to notice. I've only had them once, as a starter in a rather pretentious restaurant in Co. Down. IIRC they were served fairly plainly (roasted? pan-fried?) with a few salad leaves. They tasted fine, but the soft and fluffy side of my nature thought, "poor wee things"... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost certainly pan fried. Being very small and very lean they cook very quickly and will dry out moments later.

Pretentious restraunts love 'em because the punter thinks 'Ooooh, fancy', you can charge a premium and they don't block the kitchen being cooked.

3F

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I reckon you'd need a hell of a lot of quails to make enough soup for your soul to notice. I've only had them once, as a starter in a rather pretentious restaurant in Co. Down. IIRC they were served fairly plainly (roasted? pan-fried?) with a few salad leaves. They tasted fine, but the soft and fluffy side of my nature thought, "poor wee things"... [Frown]

They are darn cute, aren't they? I'm so happy that they are
California's state bird. I also understand that they are good rescue candidates. Take a lost chick to a wild bird rescue, and it is likely to grow up there, and do fine released into proper habitat.

I think I'll stick to barnyard birds for consumption.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spicy carrot and parsnip soup with dessicated coconut was very good! I do like my soups.

I have a bit of left over cooked cauliflower - not my favoutite vegetable - I am thinking of making it into a bit of a cailuflower-and mixed frozen vegetables cheese soup. D'you think that would work? Answers in the next half hour please (as it's nearly lunchtime!)

Has anyone got a favourite soup recipe to share?

And vis-à-vis quail, the first time I remmber seeing them cooked was when my older brother ordered Quail Pie in a French restaurant, aged about 14. He lifted the lid of the pie to see two quails curled up next to each other.
"Oh!" cried my 11 year old self, slightly upset to see them there.
"Yum!" he declared and tucked in...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off to make soup. Let's see what it's like....

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Off to make soup. Let's see what it's like....

Hope the soup was nice, cauli and cheese go well together. What other veg did you use?

We had a curried sweet potato and coconut soup for lunch today. I put a couple of portions in the freezer, and there's enough still in the pan for lunch tomorrow.(There's only the two of us).

I have the ingredients to hand for two more of my favourite winter soups as well; Stilton and apple, and spiced parsnip and apple, so we will be warmed from the inside for the rest of the week [Big Grin]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the quail experiment was fun, but we probably will not be repeating it...too much trouble and expense for not much reward. Although the marinade was wonderful and I'll probably make it again for more conventional poultry, and I also very much enjoyed the cherry chutney I glazed them with. For a side dish I made a pilaf of brown-and-wild-rice (wild rice from the Native American gift store next county over) with dried cherries and nuts...it tasted wonderful but DP's dietary restrictions limited her ability to eat the wild rice, so that too will probably remain a dish for guests/export to church potlucks only.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

Soup was OK - maybe not thick enough. I used a mixture of " legumes pour potage " (veg for soup) which includes leeks, onions, carrots, beans, broccoli and cauli.

We have pork fillet with sweet potato and chorizo tonight. The instructions say to serve with mash, but as it already has sweet potato in I probably won't. Maybe a parsnip and carrot mash, using up (sniff) my last 2 parsnips.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often used to add a handful of red lentils to winter soups, they thicken it and add loads of protein. We don't really have much of a winter here but we still love soup! Doubtless once PeteC arrives we will be having home made soup and bread as a light supper once a week. HWMBO's egg drop mushroom soup is excellent!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We bought a ready-cooked chicken the other day, and having made stock with the carcass I made veggie soup - potatoes, carrots, onions, a wee bit of celery, a few herbs and a couple of handfuls of "soup mix" - a mixture of dried lentils, beans and pulses.

I can hardly imagine better value - the chicken cost $6.99, and we had about half of it for lunch with mashed potatoes, and the soup and the remaining meat, along with some bread and cheese, made two suppers between them. There's about a pint of stock left too, so I froze that for making more soup.

Perhaps I should change my Ship name from "piglet" to "soup-dragon". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds a brilliant idea Piglet!

I'm just getting back into soup making (curried parsnip and apple soup bubbling away on the stove -yum) and have a couple of questions.

* Adding cream or creme fraiche makes it creamier doesn't it - does yoghurt or milk work too or is that a nono?

* If I freeze some portions should I freeze it before adding cream/creme fraiche/yoghurt or is it ok to stir it through and freeze it. My brain says cream doesn't freeze. Am I imagining that or is it ok if cooked?

Apologies for the "stupid" questions but I thought here was a good place to ask!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

Cream and milk freeze very well.

My personal view is that I add cream or whatever as part of final preparation for the table, a bit like seasoning. For this reason I would freeze without the cream and add at the last minute.

3F

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

The pork and chorizo was fab. I just did a tin of peas-n-carrots in the end. Laziness prevailed.

I'm cooking oxtail for friends on Friday - a Nigel Slater recipe. see here
Has anyone cooked oxtail before? What's it like? Any hints/tips?

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made some oxtail soup several years ago...if memory serves I browned it well, then browned some onions and garlic, then tossed them into beef broth and tomatoes with assorted veg and herbs. It was...ok; a little rich. The oxtail imparts a gelatinous quality to soups and stews which some people enjoy, others not so much.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps I should change my Ship name from "piglet" to "soup-dragon". [Big Grin]

Well you come from a nation of soup dragons. One of the inaugural rites for a woman in my home church is to make a pot of soup really well. I think I feel a soup making episode coming on. It must be the weather.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've done the Slater recipe - it is very rich (which I like). I would say have piles of mash or home-made bread to soak up the mmmmshilacious gravy, and something lemony for dessert. Oh, and a big red to go with.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse , a long slow cooking is what oxtail needs. I don't know the recipe you refer to, but you can't go far wrong with a temp of around the 120C mark, and 3 hours in the oven. It is marvellously rich, good winter food. As Firenze says, a big red (eg Barossa or Mudgee Shiraz) is what's needed. It also helps to cook the day before nad remove the fat and oil from the top, then a very gentle re-heat.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have any favorite recipes, or any tips, involving quinoa?

I'm a very amateur cook, but this stuff seems pretty versatile. It's just rather odd, so bird-seed-like (until you cook it, of course, but it doesn't get any bigger).

My mother sent me a big bag of it and I thought I'd embrace the opportunity. I cooked a little tonight & added it to my fried rice. I'm sure there are better things to do with it, though!

I'm intrigued by the quinoa flakes one manufacturer apparently makes - I saw it on their website - since I'm allergic to oats and would like an oatmeal-like breakfast! The plain ol' quinoa grains are probably fine for that too, but I'm used to rolled oats, and the texture of the grains is unappealing to me for a hot breakfast.

I wonder if the grains could be substituted for steel-cut oats in Irish brown bread or similar? Not that I make bread much...

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

I've done the Slater recipe - it is very rich (which I like). I would say have piles of mash or home-made bread to soak up the mmmmshilacious gravy, and something lemony for dessert. Oh, and a big red to go with.
I had planned to do banana tarts and vanilla and pecan nut ice cream for dessert. Maybe that's not sharp enough...Hmm, possible rethink on the cards....

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm posting here while waiting for a couple of lemon loaf-cakes to cook; I used my cherry-cake recipe and instead of the cherries and vanilla essence, I put in the grated rind and juice of a lemon. I'll let you know ... [Smile]

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Despite spending two and half hours in the oven the oxtail could have done with another hour *at least*. It was tasty but he meat wasn't falling off the bone as Nigel promised. Still there was lots left over so it's being frozen and will have another couple of hours cooking time when I use it.
The banana tarts were fine. Generally a successful meal and I'll certainly consider oxtail again.

--------------------

Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

I'm a very amateur cook, but this stuff seems pretty versatile. It's just rather odd, so bird-seed-like (until you cook it, of course, but it doesn't get any bigger).

My mother sent me a big bag of it and I thought I'd embrace the opportunity. I cooked a little tonight & added it to my fried rice. I'm sure there are better things to do with it, though!

I'm intrigued by the quinoa flakes one manufacturer apparently makes - I saw it on their website - since I'm allergic to oats and would like an oatmeal-like breakfast! The plain ol' quinoa grains are probably fine for that too, but I'm used to rolled oats, and the texture of the grains is unappealing to me for a hot breakfast.

I wonder if the grains could be substituted for steel-cut oats in Irish brown bread or similar? Not that I make bread much...

Not a recipe involving quinoa, but buckwheat flakes are a reasonable alternative to oats if you want porridge but can't eat oats. (It sounds as if buckwheat is a relative of wheat and therefore would have gluten in, but it is in fact a relative of rhubarb, and so does not contain gluten). Buckwheat flakes are available from some health food shops in the UK. Don't know where you'd find it in the US though.

If its the gluten in the oats you're allergic to, I've started seeing 'gluten free oats' for sale in the UK. We were a bit sceptical about them, but my Mum who is a coeliac has tried them without adverse effects. Don't know what they do to the oats to make them gluten free though...

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm posting here while waiting for a couple of lemon loaf-cakes to cook; I used my cherry-cake recipe and instead of the cherries and vanilla essence, I put in the grated rind and juice of a lemon. I'll let you know ... [Smile]

If it does not work, make up with the rind but not the juice of lemon. When cooked heat in a sauce pan a mix of lemon juice and sugar (need a little water as I am working from memory), prick the top of the still warm cake and pour the mix slowly over the top. It should sink in through the holes but also leave a shiny top layer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I use fresh orange juice to replace some of the cooking liquid for quinoa grains (try replacing a quarter first as it can taste very strong if you use too much), add dried fruit after cooking, then cover and leave to stand for a few minutes.

I haven't seen any quinoa flakes here; I'll have to investigate.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The lemon cake came out rather well - very light and just about the right amount of lemon flavour. I might try Jengie's glaze idea next time though - it sounds nice.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I like various forms of quinoa salad - this sort of thing, although I'd probably add some chopped bell peppers, orange/yellow/red, to this one. (Bonus: it's great to pack along for lunch.) Although I'm generally hesitant about sweet dressings for salads, it does help in the case of quinoa salad because quinoa can sometimes have a bitter edge to it. Something like orange juice, already recommended, is great.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

You inspired me to make soup so this is what I did:

Ingredients
  • 1 Sweet potato
  • 2 Carrots (actually I had one but two would have been better)
  • 1 onion
  • 750 ml stock
  • shake of ground chilli
  • palm of the hand full of coriander seed
  • a pinch of cumin seeds
  • a cardamom pod
  • tip of a spoon of ginger

Instructions
  1. chop vegetables
  2. Fry onion until clear
  3. place stock, vegetables including onion and spices into a slow cooker.
  4. cook until carrot is soft
  5. leave to cool
  6. liquidise and reheat to serve.

As you can see quantities can be adjusted to suit availability and taste. For instance if sweet potatoes are small then use two.

Jengie

[ 16. January 2010, 20:01: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serving Size : 30
Preparation Time 3 hours
Categories: Basset Hound

3 kg dog meat -- * see note
1 1/2 cups vinegar
60 peppercorns -- crushed
6 tablespoons salt
12 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup cooking oil
6 cups onion -- sliced
3 cups tomato sauce
10 cups boiling water
6 cups red pepper -- cut into strips
6 pieces bay leaf
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cups liver spread -- ** see note
1 whole fresh pineapple -- cut 1/2 inch thick
2 house cats, diced, to use as texture

1. First, kill a medium sized dog, then burn off the fur over a hot fire.
2. Carefully remove the skin while still warm and set aside for later (may be used in other recpies)
3. Cut meat into 1 inch cubes. Marinade meat in mixture of vinegar, peppercorn, salt and garlic for 2 hours.
4. Fry meat in oil using a large wok over an open fire, then add onions and chopped pineapple and suate until tender.
5. Pour in tomato sauce and boiling water, add green peper, bay leaf and tobasco.
6. Stir in diced house cat pieces.
7. Cover and simmer over warm coals until meat is tender. Blend in liver spread and cook for additional 5-7 minutes.

[Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I can't find any mention of "liver spread" in that recipe, SF. Am I supposed to puree a cat liver with some spices, or should I use the dog's?
As I have a particularly troublesome cat and large barking dog in my house, this stir-fry sounds better with every passing day.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Biretta on

While I am aware that certain hosts have a predilection for the culinary potentialities of felines, I suspect the blow-by-blow mutilations and gastronomic re-constitutions of our furry friends don't actually belong on a delicious helping thread in Heaven. One person's humour can be another's gut-wrench (I guess I speak as a dog lover, too!).

To keep things nice let's steer clear of recipes that tread quite so heavily on each other's sensibilities, okay?

Zappa
Dog lovin', biretta wearin' heaven host
cautiously removes biretta, for now ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:

Although I'm generally hesitant about sweet dressings for salads, it does help in the case of quinoa salad because quinoa can sometimes have a bitter edge to it.
Rinse it well before cooking: much of that bitterness is in the seed coating.

I also find it cooks better if I boil the water before adding the quinoa: much fluffier and the grains stay more distinct.

Definitely second the salad recommendation--it makes a fabulous make-ahead lunch. Here's one of my favorite recipes:

Mark Bittman's sweet potato and quinoa salad

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
infinite_monkey: thanks for those tips on cooking quinoa! srsly. I've made it before because, well, One Should, but have sometimes had that bitter edge and have had to disguise it with sweet dressing. I'd rather make it properly in the first place!

While I think of it, thanks to Firenze for a long-ago tip concerning the use of hard cider with pork. Much pork has been happily marinated in hard cider chez Leaf since then, with juicy and tasty results.

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome, Leaf. I spent my formative college years in a vegetarian hippie co-op, so I have a somewhat quixotic obsession with cooking whole grains properly. Yesterday it was all about wheat berries, which are fun.

If you want to go all-in on the quinoa, some fancy cooking people recommend first toasting the grains until they give off a slightly nutty scent--I've done that, but not noticed a huge difference.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just come up with a stunning riff on bobotie.

For those of you who don't know it, bobotie is a South African/Malay dish that is a sort of cross between meatloaf and moussaka. Minced lamb mixed with soaked bread, onion, garlic and dried fruit, flavoured with curry powder and tumeric, and topped with an egg and milk custard and baked.

My version uses minced pork, substitutes a north African spice mix + ginger and cayenne, but keeps the apricots, almonds, and a spoonful of chutney (Mrs Ball's, of course) along with the bread, onion, garlic and custard topping (with a jag of single cream).

It was much lighter than the original, while keeping all the spicy/sweet/savoury charm.

nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
regarding quinoa: all the above has been very inspiring. I've only done quinoa a few times. Once I didn't rinse it enough and it was too bitter to enjoy. Glad to hear that toasting isn't such a mandatory step! Love the idea of getting some orange juice in the cooking liquid ... I love orange/cranberry flavors so making orange-infused quinoa into a salad with dried cranberries (and a handful of pecans) sounds wonderful. Maybe served over spinach leaves.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

<bump>

Dear me - we can't have the Recipe thread down on page 2!! To remedy this sad state of affairs, I offer my slow-cooker/crock-pot take on a recipe I found in the Weekly Telegraph last week:

Beef Casserole
2 tbs olive oil
2-2½lb. beef, cut in 1½in. pieces
4 tbs seasoned flour
2 tbs butter
2 each of onions, carrots and potatoes, and 6 oz. turnip or swede, all cut in 1-in. cubes
2 tbs redcurrant or apple jelly
½ pint each red wine and beef stock from a cube
a few thyme sprigs, 2 bayleaves and 1 crushed clove garlic

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or casserole. Dredge the beef in the seasoned flour and brown in batches and transfer to slow-cooker. Melt the butter in the pan, add the onions and fry for a few minutes, followed by the other veggies as you chop them up. Transfer to slow-cooker. Deglaze the pan with the wine and jelly, scraping up any browned bits. Add the stock and bring to the boil, and pour into the slow-cooker, adding the thyme, garlic and bayleaves. Cook on High for about 30 minutes, then on Low for about 8 hours.

If the sauce looks a bit thin, a buerre manié made of 1 tbs each butter and flour, mixed together and stirred into the casserole, will thicken it up nicely.

I took it to a pot-luck lunch today and it disappeared like snow off a dyke. I think it might work just as well with lamb, substituting lamb stock for the beef stock and rosemary for the thyme.

[Smile]

PS I even remembered to remove the bayleaves. [Yipee]

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I made a kind of risotto type item using quinoa and butternut squash, which IIRC was quite edible. It would probably have been better were I a better risotto maker. I think I chopped and softened/browned an onion, and likely some garlic, added in the chopped butternut for some minutes (tennish?) and put in the quinoa with stock til it seemed doneish.
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
quote:

I made a kind of risotto type item using quinoa and butternut squash, which IIRC was quite edible. It would probably have been better were I a better risotto maker. I think I chopped and softened/browned an onion, and likely some garlic, added in the chopped butternut for some minutes (tennish?) and put in the quinoa with stock til it seemed doneish.
TG

Sounds niceish!

[Biased]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey all,

We're planning a Mardi Gras party and my husband has requested Mississippi Mud Pie. Would anyone here be willing to share a recipe? I've seen a few on the Internet but would prefer something that's been tested.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask Janine. If anybody has a recipe for that, she would.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

piglet: Your recipe prompted a question. Some beef stew recipes call for the beef cubes to be dredged in seasoned flour before browning. However, in one of my cookbooks, the author was adamant that beef never be floured before browning. His theory was that instead of caramelizing the beef, only the floury surface gets browned, which defeats the purpose.

Can anyone comment? Does it matter, beef chunks floured or unfloured?

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I'm doing it 'properly', I tend to flour first; if I'm not, I don't.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference but it makes me feel better.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IME flouring the beef helps thicken the sauce. Dunno about caramelisation or otherwise.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I suppose that is the difference I am able to notice.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I always understood the aim was to 'seal' the meat, rather than cooking it to the point of burnt bits. If it were that thoroughly cooked to the point of blackening, then it rather destroys the point of slow casseroling.

Vegetables on the other hand - particularly onion, carrot, parsnip - can be caramelised (a sprinkle of sugar helps), and that can confer a little flavour intensification.

If you want - or have - sealed the meat without flouring, and want a thicker sauce, there's always beurre manie.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

During our recent trip to Florida, Our Boys introduced us to the joys of fish tacos (Barnacle Bill's in St. Augustine, for anyone interested, is a wonderful seafood restaurant that the locals enjoy), something that's still quite a novelty in our part of the country: firm fish like mahi-mahi either fried or (our preference) seasoned and seared, then served in hard or soft taco shells with lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, tomato and -- surprise -- shredded cabbage. (I think Chinese cabbage would be even better.) They also took us to a joint in Orlando called, I think, JP's, a brewpub that offers, among other things, specialty pizzas. Their bacon cheeseburger pizza consisted of a thin crust spread very thinly with thousand-island dressing, then topped generously with crumbled ground beef, cheddar cheese, bacon, onion, chopped tomatoes and chopped dill pickle before baking; I think there was an option of topping it all with shredded lettuce before serving, but we declined. The dill pickle made the dish; surprisingly good. Since we've found a homemade pizza dough we really like, I'm sure we'll be making this from scratch, and we were also thinking of trying veggie crumbles instead of beef.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
IME flouring the beef helps thicken the sauce. Dunno about caramelisation or otherwise.

It thickens the sauce, and is a good idea with most meats, but I too am informed that beef is an exception. If I cook it I just marinade it if applicable, coat it in oil and put it straight in the pan as is. One can always thicken with cornflour later, after all!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just about to acquire a stainless steel steamer (from a fellow Freecycler).

Any tips and hints on how to make delicious and healthy meals with it will be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Steamers are great. Our rice cooker has a steamer attachment that we use.

Here's a hint: Bump up the flavor factor in your steamed veggies by seasoning the water with herbs of choice, or using broth/bouillion.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016