homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 31)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
I'm doing pretty well working my way through my various books to find the no fat good stuff, and FD is being very positive, but now that FD's on a low fat, no salt, look-after-his-heart diet, can anyone recommend a 'heart-smart' cookbook that isn't one of those horribly boring books written by dieticians?

I'm looking for one that's been written by a chef/cook/serious foodie.

I would recommend Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking. Neither the other Leaf nor I have cardiac issues, and we love this cookbook! Several of our favourite recipes come from it, because, guess what, they taste good. The author is not a dietician, but there's a consulting dietician on it. [Biased]

We also own Anne Lindsay's earlier cookbook, Lighthearted Everyday Cooking. It's okay, but it's nothing you couldn't figure out on your own.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We eat a lot out of the CSIRO Cook Book. The recipes are interesting and give good results; another plus is that the ingredients are not hard to come by, and they lack a lot of pretense.

The CSIRO diet is aimed at reducing hearts disease, as well as propensity to strokes and diabetes. Even if you don't cook many of the recipes, the sensible principles are not a bad guideline. We have both lost a bit of weight, and feel rather better, since starting to follow the theory. Dlet, of course, just eats.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two cake recipes:
BLUE PETER MAYONNAISE CAKE
275g SR flour
225g caster sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g mayonnaise
4 tbsp cocoa
225ml boiling water

1. Mix together flour, sugar & baking powder
2. Add mayo and mix till it resembles breadcrumbs
3. Dissolve cocoa in water & then add to mix with the vanilla essence
4. Put into a greased, paper-lined tin
5. Bake at 350°F/180°C/GM4 for 1 hour
6. Leave in tin to cool.
7. Suggested frosting: 2 tbsp cocoa dissolved in a little water/ 75g soft butter/225g icing sugar.

DANIELE'S HONEY SPICE CAKE
150g plain flour
5g baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 pinches powdered cloves
0.5 tsp nutmeg
180g runny honey
100ml milk
1 egg, beaten

1. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Add everything else
3. Beat to a runny batter
4. Pour into a greased baking tin
5. Bake for about 45 mins at 180°C/ GM 4

This works with ginger instead of the other spices (or as well as the other spices)

And when I didn't have honey I used Dandelion Jam (but I'm guessing that's not very common elsewhere!) I think golden syrup would probably work as well.

I've added raisins to one cake. They sank to the bottom, but were very nice. Lumps of crystallised ginger could add to the gingeriness if you make it with ginger.

Edited because I seem unable to spell powder or powdered. Extra "e" anyone? (poweder)

[ 23. February 2010, 10:22: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere at home I have a recipe for a chocolate cake made with vegetable oil - as I remember it was very moist and delicious. I will post it if I can find it this evening.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any recipes involving lots of stem ginger? I've got an open jar in my fridge, which I bought to ice a ginger cake, but there's a lot of ginger left.

Thanks.

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grasmere gingerbread? I use crystallised ginger in mine.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aelred of Riveaux:
Does anyone have any recipes involving lots of stem ginger? I've got an open jar in my fridge, which I bought to ice a ginger cake, but there's a lot of ginger left.

Henderson's used to offer a dessert which if memory serves, was simply whipped cream mixed with chopped stem ginger and broken meringue. Or any ice cream recipe with the diced ginger and the liquor from the jar. Or add to rhubarb tarts or crumbles (which is very seasonal now).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spicy Lemon Cous Cous (includes stem ginger!)

Spicy Lemon Cous Cous

Ingredients

1 pickled Lemon (use skin only, finely chopped, and you can do without this if you don't want another half open jar in the fridge)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon oil
25g unsalted butter (or margarine)
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
4 spring onions, finely sliced
450ml/3/4 pint of chicken stock
250g/9oz cous cous
3 to 4 blobs of preserved ginger
1 lime: juice and finely grated rind
2 large plum tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
1 pack/pot fresh coriander (I usually remove stems and just use the leaves)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.

Method

Remove the flesh and pith of the lemon, I usually do this with a desert spoon. Then finely chop the skin. Place plum tomatoes in very hot, nearly boiling water, for a very short time. Them remove and skin them and put them in cold water, so that they don’t continue to cook and go mushy. (Leave them too long and they will overcook). Then finely chop all the other ingredients, putting them in separate containers. This can all be done the night before and put in the fridge.

Melt the butter/marge in a large pan and add garlic, chilli and coriander seeds. Cook for one minute, continuously stirring. Then add spring onions and the stock. Bring to the boil and stir in the cous cous, in a thin, steady, stream, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon. Continue to stir until stock is absorbed.

Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork after 2 minutes, to separate grains. Fluff up again at the end of the 5 minutes, just to make sure.

Stir in the chopped ginger and grated lime rind. Then stir in the lime juice, tomatoes, pickled lemon rind, fresh coriander and the olive and lemon oil. Mix well to ensure even spread of ingredients. Cover and set aside for up to 6 hours.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse, if you want your raisins to not sink, toss them in about a tablespoon of flour before you mix them in. It's not utterly infallible, but it helps.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Piglet. I'll try that next time.

I've just made a Banoffi Pie - I'd forgotten how dead easy it is. For those not in the know:
1 tin condensed milk
packet of chocklit biskits
big lump of butter
bananas.

Boil unopened tin of condensed milk in a pan of water for 3 hours. Remember to keep topping up the water.
Bash chocklit biskits into crumbs. Melt butter. Mix butter and crumbs. Press into a flan dish/spring loaded tin or whatever. Chill.
Let condensed milk cool in tin. Open tin. Spread resulting toffee stuff over biskit base.
Slice bananas. Lay over toffee stuff. Serve with whipped cream, if you wish.

There's probably a posher way to make it, but this suits me!

[ 25. February 2010, 16:01: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse, that sounds yummy! I wonder if one could substitute other fruits for the banana? Maybe strawberries or blueberries? (I can't eat bananas. [Waterworks] )

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ -- strawberries or blueberries will work beautifully, or even a combination thereof!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

I'm not sure, JJ - I think bananas and toffee go together particularly well. But if you like other fruits with toffee, then I guess they'd work. Maybe apple would work - toffee apples are good, so maybe Apploffi pie would be tasty.

Or just forget fruit and go with whipped cream and chocolate gratings on top. Or maybe marshmallows. Though that might get a bit sickly.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our church ladies make some kind of dessert fluff containing toffee bits, apple and nuts...quite good; highly caloric.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same pie with or without the banana works really well if there are toasted hazelnuts crushed and sprinkled on top.

Thanks everyone for the recipe book suggestions. I will get the CSIRO book as I have seen it in my local store and it does look positive!

FD is doing very very well but there are some things I'm not likely to make anymore. This Donna Hay recipe is a Clarence staple that may not get used again, so I'm sharing it with the Ship so that I can have the vicarious pleasure of others eating it:

Baked Blue Cheese Pears with Proscuitto
4 small pears, peeled and cored (leave stem on)
enough proscuitto to wrap around the pears
60g blue cheese
1 cup cream

Preheat oven to 160şC. Stuff blue cheese into pear core cavity, wrap proscuitto around the pear and place in baking tin. Pour cream over. Bake with foil over for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 25 minutes or until proscuitto is crisp. Serve on a bed of spinach or rocket leaves.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarence, what's wrong with baby spinach or rocket leaves? [Razz]

Actually that looks delicious but I too probably would not make it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would.

Clarence: Do you slice off the bottom of the pears, such that they are standing up? If they are lying down in the pan, do you turn them?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help Wanted - Eastern Europe Division!

A friend in Chicago used to purchase a dessert which she called 'krempita' (phonetic spelling, I never saw it written). It was made at a nearby Slavic restaurant, and was it ever yummy! (It was sort of like a Russian paschka, and sort of like a 'couer a la creme' (sp?), sweet, but not too sweet; could be sliced, but needed a fork to eat.

3 problems: 1) friend no longer lives in Chicago; 2) I live a long way from Chicago; 3) Slavic restaurant is out of business.

So, does this sound familiar to any of y'all?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Help Wanted - Eastern Europe Division!

A friend in Chicago used to purchase a dessert which she called 'krempita' (phonetic spelling, I never saw it written). It was made at a nearby Slavic restaurant, and was it ever yummy! (It was sort of like a Russian paschka, and sort of like a 'couer a la creme' (sp?), sweet, but not too sweet; could be sliced, but needed a fork to eat.

Just google it with the phonetic spelling and you should be in luck.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy

krempita

A recipe for krem pita is here.

With its two layers of puff pastry enclosing crčme pâtissičre [pastrycook’s cream/custard] it looks very much like the Oz vanilla slice. However, the top layer of pastry on the vanilla slice is iced/frosted (not just dusted with icing/confectioner’s sugar), and as an extra refinement the icing/frosting is spread over a very thin wash of tart red berry jam/jelly, which helps to offset the sweetness.

A great deal depends upon the quality of the custard, which can be very nice (or very nasty indeed, if it is made without an appropriate number of egg yolks).

I suppose that both of these are variants on the French mille-feuille.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Our church ladies make some kind of dessert fluff containing toffee bits, apple and nuts...quite good; highly caloric.

Nonono. Food eaten in church has no calories. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were it only so for some of the apple pies baked by the octogenarian Church Ladies at my Church Back Home. I've yet to meet a good pie crust that wasn't made either by someone over the age of seventy-five or by someone who was given all the secrets when the old ladies became too short to work with the church's countertops. My mother could always make good pies, but after the Church Ladies decided to recruit a few of the "young women" for pie work . . .
Well, that was a pie to remember. A recipe and technique handed down from people for whom "Lowfat" was a four-letter word.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Breakfast. Probably the most neglected meal, in terms of culinary exploration.

I have a long-standing dream to publish a recipe book full of decent breakfast recipes. I have never seen such a thing myself. The only problem is that I will have to collect a heck of a lot more recipes than I currently have. In the meantime, I have mastered the following:-

(in order of preference)

1. Devilled kidneys.
2. Cancerous fry-ups (bacon, tomato, egg, sausage, black pudding, potato cakes, fried bread, mushrooms, but NOT baked beans)
3. Croissant
4. Pannatone
5. Porridge (humble, I know, but there is an art to it).

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
I would.

Clarence: Do you slice off the bottom of the pears, such that they are standing up? If they are lying down in the pan, do you turn them?

Thanks in advance.

No, definitely slice of a little at the bottom so they are standing up. That way you can wrap the prosciutto, shawl-like, around the pears and pour the cream over and around the pears before putting into the oven.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
2. Cancerous fry-ups (bacon, tomato, egg, sausage, black pudding, potato cakes, fried bread, mushrooms, but NOT baked beans)

Not cancer, coronary. In Ulster that's known as 'heart attack on a plate'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy

krempita

A recipe for krem pita is here.

With its two layers of puff pastry enclosing crčme pâtissičre [pastrycook’s cream/custard] it looks very much like the Oz vanilla slice. However, the top layer of pastry on the vanilla slice is iced/frosted (not just dusted with icing/confectioner’s sugar), and as an extra refinement the icing/frosting is spread over a very thin wash of tart red berry jam/jelly, which helps to offset the sweetness.

A great deal depends upon the quality of the custard, which can be very nice (or very nasty indeed, if it is made without an appropriate number of egg yolks).

I suppose that both of these are variants on the French mille-feuille.

That's the one! Many, many thanks.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strictly a muesli and yoghurt man for breakfast, I'm afraid. But the other night when baching I wacked up a sumptious cancer and coronary repast: fried onions, eggs (fresh from the chook's bum), bacon, tomato, salami and hash browns, some burned to a cinder cos my timin' ain't that good, and slurrupped in HP Sauce.

Now that's cookin' (why dont they make programmes like that ... i'd even watch foulmouth Ramsey or look at my, um, pancakes Nigella if they produced culinary masterpieces like that).

[ 02. March 2010, 17:05: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
Breakfast. Probably the most neglected meal, in terms of culinary exploration.

I have a long-standing dream to publish a recipe book full of decent breakfast recipes. I have never seen such a thing myself. The only problem is that I will have to collect a heck of a lot more recipes than I currently have. In the meantime, I have mastered the following:-

(in order of preference)

1. Devilled kidneys.
3. Croissant
4. Pannatone
5. Porridge (humble, I know, but there is an art to it).

Nothing humble about porridge, fantastic stuff though I tend to make mine with half milk, half water and then adulterate with things like bananas and maple syrup, dates and very dark brown sugar (tastes like sticky toffee pudding), apple and cinnamon or honey and walnuts. Adds to the calorie value but doesn't do away with any of the lovely cholesterol lowering properties of the oats.

Yes, I know I may be boiled in oil for such heresy but it's the best way for me to eat them. Water and salt is such an abuse of the poor porridge oat.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Breakfasts here are wondrous!

This morning we had Idli, tomorrow we may have Puttu or Dosa or even Uthappam. Occasionally we have had Porotta which we would serve with shelled hard boiled eggs served in a savoury, spicy onion sauce.

We like breakfast!

Apply to PeteC for an unbiased assessment of south Indian breakfasts.

eta: one of the chutneys with this morning's feast was a bit garlicky - piglet would approve.

[ 03. March 2010, 03:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

While I love such things WW, I'm not sure that I could stomach them for breakfast.

I'm a porridge and golden syrup (winter) and toast and cheese (summer) + juice + Danacol yoghurt + coffee breakfast person. Garlicky spicy things are probably a bit much.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a bit like the old English/British proverb:

quote:
Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Lord and Supper like a pauper
We have a good breakfast but Pete and I walk first for an hour then we read the paper, shower and so on and breakfast is probably two and a half hours after we get up. This would have been impossible in my working days when I left the house at 07.30. In those days breakfast had to be quicker, porage in the winter and muesli/yogurt in the summer.

Today we had a medium sized lunch and no supper at all.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loves me my fried potatoes and pancakes and bacon and sausage, but as I approach the half-century mark I eat this type of breakfast less and less. Saturdays tend to be our splurgy breakfast days...I will make DP's favorite, "tortured potatoes" (my grandmother's name for raw potatoes diced and fried with onion until crispy on the outside, soft on the inside -- my concession to good health is using olive oil instead of bacon fat or butter); or tofu scramble (not to brag, but even tofu haters would enjoy ours), or pancakes. We also really like certain brands of breakfast "soysage."

One challenge of mine is finding ways to incorporate flaxseed meal -- good for my cholesterol and middle-aged-lady issues -- into my breakfasts without adding them to DPs, since she can't tolerate even ground flax in her diet. It works best tossed into oatmeal, but -- I get tired of tasting it, and tired of the nasty residue it leaves in the bowls.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Dormouse

# 5954

quote:

One challenge of mine is finding ways to incorporate flaxseed meal -- good for my cholesterol and middle-aged-lady issues -- into my breakfasts without adding them to DPs, since she can't tolerate even ground flax in her diet. It works best tossed into oatmeal, but -- I get tired of tasting it, and tired of the nasty residue it leaves in the bowls.

I read this as "I get..tired of the nasty residue it leaves in the bowels"...!!!

--------------------

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading a wonderful book called The Joy of Pickling and looking ahead to the time of year when the price of cucumbers plummets. Until then, I'm having fun making Indian lemon pickles, ripening in a sunny window. I'm also wondering about perhaps starting a batch of sauerkraut, atypical though it is to do that at this time of year...

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I will make DP's favorite, "tortured potatoes" (my grandmother's name for raw potatoes diced and fried with onion until crispy on the outside, soft on the inside -- my concession to good health is using olive oil instead of bacon fat or butter); or tofu scramble (not to brag, but even tofu haters would enjoy ours)

Alright. As one who's sorta going vegetarian during Lent, I demand these recipes! I've never tried scrambled tofu, but my sense of "why not?" is telling me I should try it.
Oh, and along those lines: I'm trying to figure out how to cook tofu, wheat gluten, etc., mostly just because I'd like to know how to, but also for the whole "well, all these vegetarians can't be that wrong, can they?" aspect. I made a pretty good steam-fry with some firm tofu and more fresh vegetables than I might know what to do with; it turned out surprisingly well, but I think that's mostly because of all the hot peppers and fresh veggies (crisp farmer's market cabbage and broccoli can be revelations) being so good without my help. Ideas?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been known to get pickled occasionally. In the past. [Razz]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I've been known to get pickled occasionally. In the past. [Razz]

Really? I wonder if there's a reason I don't remember that? [Biased]

On the subject of tofu, try substituting whatever meat/chicken/fish you have in a specific curry recipe with tofu: works surprisingly well!

--------------------

Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the ginger related recipes. I've been unexpectedly away from the internet for a bit, but I look forward to trying them out.
Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you accelerate the de-drying of beans? Does hot/warm water help? Salt (osmotic pressure?

Because I always forget to put the beans in soak the night before.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I generally boil the beans just covered with water on "high" for about five minutes, turn off the heat, and then let them soak for an hour. Then they are ready to do your normal cooking just like as if you soaked over-night. This has always worked for me on red, black, pinto, and baby limas. I don't know about kidney beans- they might be tougher.

[ 06. March 2010, 16:50: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
Can you accelerate the de-drying of beans? ...

I'm sorry, 3rd Footer - I misread that as "de-drying of bears ...

Poor teddies. [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I agree with Lyda*Rose - bringing to the boil for a while then leaving for an hour is a pretty good way of fast soaking. I think I might have used this method on kidney beans in the past but it was a long time ago [15 years?] so my memory could be at fault.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3rd Footer - NEVER use salt in soaking pulses, as it toughens them. The same applies to carb soda and the like, it's the sodium. Soak, then cook in accordance with your reccipe, but add salt towards the end. Lyda*Rose's quick method works well. Remember, you can never overcook chickpeas, and lentils usually go to mush as soon as you walk away.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haricot beans were just fine with a four hour soak and a ten minute boil before going into the pot.

Shoulder pork, onion, leak, mushroom, tin of tomatoes, rosemary and a good cup of beans. 30-40 mins in the oven. Sauted spuds to serve. Result.

I think dried beans have a better texture than the tinned ones which tend to be a bit mushy. On the other hand, you have to soak 'em.

Kidney beans must be boiled for ten minutes. Tummy ache is the alternative (painful rather than dangerous).

3F

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
Kidney beans must be boiled for ten minutes. Tummy ache is the alternative (painful rather than dangerous).

3F

I seem to remember that back in the '70s/early '80s we were told that this could be fatal. Put me off being a veggie - well, that and missing meat too much.

Yesterday I had one of those lightbulb moments...
I've not had flapjack since I was diagnosed (far to long ago to go public with) as having an allergy to oats. And I've missed them. But about a year ago I discovered millet, and have been making porridge with it since then. And here comes the lightbulb moment - it has taken me that long to realise that of course I can use millet in flapjacks. So I am giving it a go - I will report back with the outcome.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not myth. Kidney beans (including all the Phaseolus vilgaris varieties such as haricot beans, navy beans etc, etc) are in fact poisonous and must be boiled hard before eating. At least once change of water as well. Same goes for soya beans, and to a lesser extend broad beans/field beans/horse beans (Vicia faba). And its not just tummy-ache. People (and other animals) have died. Rare, but it can happen. There are also some allergies that some people have, and an enzyme deficiency that is not that rare.

Best advice is soak for some hours (overnight is fine, a whole day not too long) change the water, boil hard for ten minutes, change the water again, then simmer till cooked. So they are not suitable for cooking in a slow cookers.

No reason not to eat them - they need boiling before they are edible anyway, and the first water is always a bit slimy and smelly and fart-making. Ordinary cooking is all you need. Or buy them tinned, when they will have been cooked properly!

But lots of common foods are slightly poisonous can can cause trouble if eaten in very unusual quantities. Apples, almond/peach, apricots, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, even carrots. More people have died of an overdose of carrots than marijuana. You turn orange before you die. You do need to eat an awful lot of carrots though.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken
Not myth. Kidney beans (including all the Phaseolus vilgaris varieties such as haricot beans, navy beans etc, etc) are in fact poisonous and must be boiled hard before eating.

In the Dick Francis detective novel, Dead Heat, a bad guy deliberately puts finely chopped undercooked kidney beans into a meal prepared by a caterer and served to a large crowd.

Moo

[ 09. March 2010, 12:25: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
.... More people have died of an overdose of carrots than marijuana. You turn orange before you die. You do need to eat an awful lot of carrots though.

I have a colleague who was hospitalised through carrot-overdose. That was all he ate (or drank - he was into carrot juice too) while he was preparing for something more extreme than a marathon. I think it was Vitamin A overdose.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

In response to the request:

TORTURED POTATOES (Maybe Grandma had a streak of the macabre in her...)

For two people: Take two or three large potatoes, peel them and dice them into a fairly small (think corned-beef hash) dice. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, or a mix of oil and butter, on medium high, until the oil is hot, then add the potatoes, then turn the heat down to medium and cover. (You'll be simultaneously frying and steaming the potatoes.) You don't want to be turning them a lot because you want a nice brown crust on them, but you also don't want them to burn. After 5 minutes or so you'll add maybe a half of a small onion, finely chopped, and perhaps some bell pepper as well. Season as desired -- at our house we like to use a favorite commerical seasoned salt and freshly ground pepper; tamari is also a good seasoning agent. Keep checking and turning as needed, until the potatoes are nice and brown on the outside, soft on the inside. If they're soft but not adequately brown you can uncover the pan and bump up the temp a little, adding a bit more oil if needed.

SCRAMBLED TOFU FOR TWO:

Take half a pound of firm tofu, drain and dry it, and cut it into small cubes. Heat about a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat, until it starts bubbling a bit, and add the tofu cubes; turn heat down to medium or medium-low. Add a half teaspoon of tumeric (caution: it stains EVERYTHING, so handle judiciously), several strips of red bell pepper finely minced, 2 finely minced garlic cloves and 2 thinly sliced green onions. Cook and stir, mashing the tofu somewhat as you do so. Add a tablespoon or so of tamari to the mixture as well, plus whatever additional salt and pepper you wish. You might also, at this point, add some vegan or regular cheese on top and let it melt. Good stuff. (It helps to plan ahead and get all the veg cut up the night before.)

Now...I am looking for some innovative ideas for stuffed shell pasta. We have used both seasoned ricotta cheese and seasoned tofu as stuffing ingredients in the past -- just spooned it into the cooked pasta shells, thrown marinara and cheese over the top and baked them. Has anyone tried any other stuffings or sauces?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken:
quote:
Best advice is soak for some hours (overnight is fine, a whole day not too long) change the water, boil hard for ten minutes, change the water again, then simmer till cooked. So they are not suitable for cooking in a slow cookers.
It's not that much trouble to soak overnight, and in the morning, change the water, boil, and dump them into the slow cooker with herbs, onions, and a ham shank. I've done it a thousand times.

I haven't done the second water change, but then I'm not that fond of kidney or navy beans. No problems so far.

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016