homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 38)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Gee D. I briefly toyed with the idea of small savoury tarts, but abandoned it as being too confusing: The social expectation here is firmly on the sweet, served with coffee.

The baking is for a reception after evening Prayers; the funeral the next day will be followed by a huge catered meal.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does it have to frozen?

It's my family preferences, but I'd go with pumpkin pie, vegetarian lasagne, vegetarian eggplant parmesan, apple pie, some sort of fruit cobbler, or a bread pudding sort of thing with cheese and spinach. Among my husband and his male relatives, you can never have too much cheese and garlic.

If you're feeding the usual carnivores, you'll need to come up with meat stuff, which usually means grilling things.

Again, what's with the frozen requirement?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] Sorry, I missed the 'sweet' thing.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg: "Frozen" because it's for a funeral reception which will likely be within the next six weeks. I would rather have the baking in the freezer on hand, ready to go, when the time comes than have events intervene and wind up baking in the wee small hours. "Sweet" because it's for a coffee-and-dessert sort of evening reception after Prayers.

I am so not a "baking for the funeral" person, hence my request for ideas. The more I think about it, the farther afield I get.

Rumballs? Too Christmassy and festive. Truffles? Too posh. Cookies? Not posh enough, unless some sort of elaborate four-layer cookie. Maybe butter tarts (like tiny pecan pies) or something like that.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lemon loaf and cinnamon loaf freeze very well and are very easy to bake.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madame suggests little pastry shells (and she says that bought ones may well be OK depending on what's available at your patisserie)) filled with an apple custard with lemon zest and cinnamon will be sweet, taste well, and be filling if there's to be no, or very little, dinner.

I still like cheese biscuits. There may be men there who'd rather that than a sweet.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One hump or two? [Cool]

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Moroccan sausages at a butchery in a nearby suburb are both very popular and often camel. At the butcher's Madame normally shops at, the Tuscan sausages are usually goat.

Both taste delicious. The Moroccan goes well wth a Margaret River Merlot; the Tuscan with an aged Mudgee shiraz.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just made Hunter's Pies, involving a game and pork sausagemest filling, and walnut pastry. Yum.

The first time i've eer made pastry in a food processor. [Smile]

[ 03. September 2010, 11:00: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
jlg: "Frozen" because it's for a funeral reception which will likely be within the next six weeks. I would rather have the baking in the freezer on hand, ready to go, when the time comes than have events intervene and wind up baking in the wee small hours. "Sweet" because it's for a coffee-and-dessert sort of evening reception after Prayers.

Well, first off, there will probably be a number of people who might prefer something savory rather than sweet (health, diets, and yes, some people don't have a sweet tooth), so don't limit your ingredients, but rather the presentation. You just want something that looks nice and can be easily picked up and eaten without a bunch of fuss.

I don't know if you have easy access to frozen small pastry shells such as these such as these, but they can easily be filled with savory (a spinach and cheese mixture?) or semi-savory (cream cheese and fruit?) at the last minute, without needing to be baking in the wee hours.

quote:
Cookies? Not posh enough, unless some sort of elaborate four-layer cookie. Maybe butter tarts (like tiny pecan pies) or something like that.
Cookies aren't posh enough? It seems this isn't simply providing some nice food for the mourners, but rather a competitive event for the women who want to show off their baking skills!

I'll put my mother's sour-cream sugar cookie (the recipe for which I alas no longer have) up against any four-layered fancy thing. It was a devine light confection with a bit of lemon zest added in.

My mother specialized in cookies (though she loved to bake in general) and we children were stupid enough not to get copies of all her recipes before she slid into late-life senility and mangled her own recipe cards and cookbooks so that we couldn't find the recipes we wanted.

People who got a tin of her assorted Christmas cookies usually returned the tin with a present to ensure they got the next year's batch.

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Thanks, jlg. I may indeed do some sort of frozen shell pastries with filling. I made some for Christmas with little phyllo shells, with a lemon curd and cream cheese filling, topped with fresh berries. They were very easy to make, but they have to be filled at the last minute and they don't keep (the pastry gets soggy).

I wouldn't say it's 'competitive'; simply that there are social judgments that would be made if one brought something less than expected (cheap, lazy) or something far in excess (showy, attention-seeking). Although to err on either side is to provide fodder for gossip, which I suppose is hospitality in another form [Biased]

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
One hump or two? [Cool]

FD, you get to be the one in this household to figure out how to cook the camel. [Smile]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
One hump or two? [Cool]

FD, you get to be the one in this household to figure out how to cook the camel. [Smile]
You need a B-I-G oven!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recipe to help FD out.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The Moroccan sausages at a butchery in a nearby suburb are both very popular and often camel. At the butcher's Madame normally shops at, the Tuscan sausages are usually goat.

Both taste delicious. The Moroccan goes well wth a Margaret River Merlot; the Tuscan with an aged Mudgee shiraz.

Second the recommendation of those sausages and many other varieties there too. Garlic and wild mushroom is appreciated here.

We served the Moroccan sausages here and forgot we knew what they were. Guest was somewhat peeved to find out she'd eaten camel. An unintentional oversight completely. However, she hadn't noticed anything extremely different, just thought it was the Moroccan spice.

[ 05. September 2010, 07:33: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief was still working on his chores for today (involving repairing deck railings, removing moss, and the like), and since I had finished my chores for the day, he suggested that I come up with something for dinner using the pork in the fridge and the bell peppers we'd picked up at the farmer's market.

I couldn't find a recipe that appealed to me that I had all the ingredients for, and I didn't want to run back to the grocery, so I improvised.

Stir-fried pork and apples

2 tart baking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 large green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 pound boneless pork chops, cut into bite-sized chunks

Sweet dessert wine
Grand marnier
soy sauce
ginger juice
candied ginger
honey
salt
olive oil
corn starch
water

Put the pork chunks into a bowl, and add enough dessert wine to cover. Add a tablespoon of soy sauce, and a teaspoon of ginger juice. Stir. Let sit for half an hour or so.

Mince a couple of slices of candied ginger. Add 1/3 cup honey (a strong-flavored honey, like blackberry honey, would be best, but you can use whatever you have), and heat in the microwave. Let it cool, then add about 1/4 cup dessert wine and 1/4 cup Grand Marnier.

Heat a little olive oil in a cast-iron skillet. Drain the marinade from the pork chunks, and when the oil is hot, add the pork and stir until it's nicely browned on all sides. Add the apple and pepper and stir frequently until the apple chunks are golden and the pepper is no longer crisp. Salt to taste.

Add the honey mixture into the skillet and bring to a boil. (You can strain out some or all of the crystallized ginger, depending on how much you like biting into little bits of ginger heat in a sweet-savory dish.)

Mix a half tablespoon of corn starch in a little cold water, and add it to the bubbling mixture in the skillet. Boil until it looks clear and syrupy (not long at all).

We had it with baked sweet potatoes and rice. (I had found, in the pantry, a packet of mixed brown, red, black, and wild rice, so we used that.)

It was very good.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Josephine - although I'm not a huge fan of pork that recipe sounds really nice. I'm a bit puzzled about the rice though - if it's all mixed together, how do you allow for the different cooking times for the different sorts of rice?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are the cooking times all that different for the different kinds of whole-grain rice? The instructions on the packet said to use 2 parts water to 1 part uncooked rice, and cook for 50 minutes, or to use the same proportions and cook in a rice cooker. I liked the way it turned out. None of the rice seemed underdone or overdone to me.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pork Chops and Peaches is also excellent. Use peaches that are not yet dead-ripe; use halves, skinned or not, as you choose.

Brown the chops & cook til almost done in a big skillet. Nestle the peach halves in between the chops, plus pretty strips of green pepper and onions, sliced the 'long' way. I spoon some brown sugar over the peaches. Cook just long enough to make the peaches hot and savory and browned on the bottom. Spoon the pan juices over everything a few times too.

And yes, rice is what goes with this. Plain old white rice. Actually I'm in love with jasmine rice which I learned about here on the ship !

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure those pork recipes were delicious, but I'm practically gagging at the amount of sugar. I might eat a (very small) potion for dessert, but as my main source of protein.....

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made what I'm going to call BLT soup today - bacon, lentil & tomato. Here goes:

3 rashers bacon, chopped
A knob of butter
8 oz carrots, 1 medium onion and 1 medium potato, all peeled and chopped
1½ tsp coriander seeds, ground
1 crushed clove garlic
1 x 14oz can of tomatoes
6 oz red lentils
1 tsp dried parsley; salt & pepper
2 pints stock*

Cook the bacon over a medium-high heat until the fat runs. Add the butter, chopped veggies, coriander and garlic. Cover and "sweat" over low heat for 5-10 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, breaking them up a bit, then add the lentils, parsley and stock. Season carefully - the bacon may have made it salty enough - then bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook, partly covered, for about an hour.

Whizz with a soup blender, check the seasoning and serve.

* I used a ham stock-cube but you could use a chicken cube or, better still, real ham or chicken stock.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick question on sponge cake - I want to get KGlet2's birthday cake iced tonight so as not to have to worry about it with family visiting tomorrow. If I put cream in the middle, will I then have to keep it in the fridge overnight? Thanks.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Are the cooking times all that different for the different kinds of whole-grain rice?

Whole-grain, no. Typically over 30 minutes but exact times don't matter much if you use the right amount of water.

quote:

The instructions on the packet said to use 2 parts water to 1 part uncooked rice, and cook for 50 minutes, or to use the same proportions and cook in a rice cooker.

50 minutes sounds a little long but maybe that's the wild rice (which isn't actually rice at all but another grain that goes with it rather well)

I think the surprise was talking about white rice. The white basmati rice that is probably the most common sort to eat over here takes 10-20 minutes to cook. Again the exact time doesn't really matter as long as you use the right amount of water (2 of water to 1 of rice, maybe a little less water if the rice is fresh) I usually bring to the boil as fast as I can, cover & simmer for five minutes, then leave it to stand for as long as it takes to cook the rest of the meal.

50 minutes would make it very soggy if there was loose water in the pan, or risk burning if there wasn't.

But that's not wholemeal rice!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Quick question on sponge cake - I want to get KGlet2's birthday cake iced tonight so as not to have to worry about it with family visiting tomorrow. If I put cream in the middle, will I then have to keep it in the fridge overnight? Thanks.

The Official Food Safety answer would be yes.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies

• 2 Cups Peanut Butter
  • 2 Cups white sugar, if you're using shortening-stable peanut butter; 1.5 if you're using all-natural peanut butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch salt (can be omitted)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream peanut butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until blended in. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend thoroughly. (I did this with my Kitchenaid and it worked great.)

Mold into 1" balls (I used a scale and made each one 16 grams +/- 1 gram), place on parchment paper-covered cookie sheet about 2" apart. Smoosh down with a wetted fork to make the traditional "criss-cross" shape on the top. Dip fork in water and shake off between each smoosh. Don't smoosh much or they'll just crumble apart. I held the edges of the cookies in place with my left hand while I smooshed with my right. Slide the fork off to one side rather than lifting straight up.

Bake for 10 minutes (+/-) in 350°F / 175°C oven. Place sheet on a heatproof board; carefully slide sheet out from under parchment paper (a single quick slide, like you're pulling a tablecloth out from under the dishes, although you can hold on to the edge of the parchment paper and you can't hold on to the edge of the dishes), leaving the cookies on the parchment paper on the board. Let them rest 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.

If you're not using parchment paper, you need to just let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile cool rack under running water, dry, and bake another batch!

These are simply amazing. I would never have thought a flourless cookie could turn out so much like the real thing -- with no flour substitute!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Meanwhile cool rack under running water, dry, and bake another batch!

Did you mean cool the cookie sheet?

(My mother was a mass production cookie baker, so I learned to have at least two, preferably three cookie sheets - one in the oven, one cooling, one being filled with the next batch.)

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's how I was raised to bake cookies, jlg. If you're going to make a mess in the kitchen, you might as well bake at least 25 dozen cookies!

D-U is my cookie baker, but she missed the mass production gene. She wisely makes about two dozen, then gives most of them away. She does this about 10:00 pm. [Snore]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've acquired a large amount of Victoria plums - I adore them and the season is so short. But I have loads more than I can possibly eat before they over-ripen. So can I freeze them raw (taking the stones out I guess) or would I have to cook them?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had a crazy busy week this week, compounded by the necessity to get our summer-vegetable canning wrapped up for the year. While all this was going on, someone gave us a large, lovely eggplant. When we were going to be able to eat this? we wondered.

Last night, after a frenetic day, we decided to do some quick grilling for a minimal time/dish meal. We decided on salmon and -- just because we didn't know what else to do with it -- grilled eggplant slices. No special seasoning -- just olive oil and kosher salt. When the eggplant was done, we shook some Parmesan cheese over the slices and that was that.

It was wonderful. We've always used eggplant in rather fussy recipes; had we known how easy and tasty it is to simply grill it, we'd have had it many, many times this summer!

Meanwhile...we had mentioned to someone that we were canning diced tomatoes, and she said, "Why can tomatoes? Why don't you just freeze them raw?" She told us that she cores Roma tomatoes, cuts them in quarters, places them in freezer containers...and that's it. She said that, added to recipes, they taste just like fresh tomatoes. Has anyone ever tried this? Shouldn't they at least be blanched first?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When I still lived at home, my father grew his own tomatoes, but a big chunk of the crop used to ripen when he and Mum were abroad on holiday. One year Mum suggested that I freeze them, just as they were, in polythene bags. I don't think they came out tasting quite like fresh ones, but I think she used them in sauces and soups and that sort of thing.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
When I still lived at home, my father grew his own tomatoes, but a big chunk of the crop used to ripen when he and Mum were abroad on holiday. One year Mum suggested that I freeze them, just as they were, in polythene bags. I don't think they came out tasting quite like fresh ones, but I think she used them in sauces and soups and that sort of thing.

Using them in casseroles and stews or soups like that, works just fine. If I had tomatoes left at the end of the week in the small canteen I used to run, I would freeze them like that. I made huge potfuls of soup almost every day except in the hottest weather, and they worked well in them.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFAIK you can freeze any fruit or veg raw but washed, so long as you don't mind it coming out a bit mushy once you defrost it. I've done a zillion different kinds, because we save up all the fruits-that-would- otherwise-have-gone-bad and use them at the end of the year for banana (peach, plum, cherry, etc.) bread. Of course, since some fruits are much juicier than others, you will have to adjust the recipe somewhat (add more flour) or else find a totally different way of using the fruit (oranges would probably be no good for anything that needed more than juice).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seldom post recipes, but a few weeks ago I made some muffins which turned out quite nicely. I prefer a cake, however, so I adapted the recipe and baked it in a pan. It is quite nice!

quote:
Blender Apple cake

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/3 cup light oil
1/3 cup amber honey
2 medium apples (cored, unpeeled)
1/4 cup nuts (I didn't but you could)

Sift dry ingredients into large bowl
Blend together milk, egg, oil, honey*,nuts and apple pieces (cut into 8ths) Blend well.
Pour into flour mixture. Stir until mixed

Turn into greased and floured pan.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes (more or less)

Let cool. Turn out onto board and cut in pieces and store covered in the frigo.

*If you add the oil first, use that cup for the honey right after. The residual oil makes the honey pour nicely. The original recipe called for 3/4 cup brown sugar. I blenched. When I did it the first time, I cut it down to 1/2 cup Equal™. It is perfectly lovely with 1/3 cup honey.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That cake sounds really nice, Pete. What size of pan does it need - loaf-pan/bundt-pan?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An 8x8 pan works well, if you lick the spoon a few times. Don't see why you couldn't use a loaf pan, though

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, a big lump of lamb (*) and a sliced leek and sliced carrots and some broad beans and a sprinkling of rolled oats in the slow cooker. Cooking in cider. With an onion, some garlic, a couple of sliced mushrooms, a few peas and some various herbs of course. And last-minute additions of more mushrooms and some kidneys. Ate while watching last night of the Proms on TV. And now have large pot of what could be some kind of stew.

Very nice [Smile]

(*) What in England is called "scrag end" which is the neck itself rather than the upper back & shoulder vertebrae which get called "neck" in butchers shops. Though I bought this by sight, not knowing the Turkish for "scrag end". And by the size of the vertebrae in this one it looks well on the way to mutton status to me.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I've acquired a large amount of Victoria plums - I adore them and the season is so short. But I have loads more than I can possibly eat before they over-ripen. So can I freeze them raw (taking the stones out I guess) or would I have to cook them?

Chutney? See here for my recipe. Easily adapted for peaches/apricots as well.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

Chutney? See here for my recipe. Easily adapted for peaches/apricots as well.
I don't like them nearly so much cooked!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but chutney's not exactly cooked....Well, it is...but it doesn't taste cooked...if you see what I mean!

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of chutney I've got a quantity of green tomatoes and am looking for something useful to do with them. Green tomato chutney springs to mind, though I don't know what it's like. Any other suggestions, or indeed, even a good recipe for the chutney if you have one that you know works?
Dormouse

# 5954

Someone gave me a recipe for Green Tomato jam which I seem to remember as good. I can't find it, but
ssssssssssssssss (that was Millie's helpful contribution) here's one that looks similar.

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. I have been shoreleavish for a wee while, but I have run into a problem, and shipmates were the only people I feel confident could come up with an answer [Big Grin]
I have in my possession a quantity of failed tablet. The flavour is fine, but it is far too soft - it will hold a shape for a short period then sort of blorps slowly out.
My question is - what shall I make it into? Do I try to rescue it? If so, how? Do I turn it into something else? If so, what?
Thanking you in advance
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Get a spoon and eat it.

Freeze it and break it up like taffy.

Get a spoon and eat it...

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd turn into a cheat Banoffee pie. Make a base digestive biscuit and fat base, then put the tablet as a thickish layer, put a banana layer (either sliced or mashed) on top and cover with whipped cream.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. Am quite liking the get a spoon and eat it. I could make it into bits and put it in icecream...
Do you think that I could make cheating millionaires shortbread instead? Just on the basis that I can't bear mashed banana... Brown bread and not-quite-tablet icecream anybody?

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm. What's a "tablet" besides a portable writing board or a compressed bit of medication?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Erm. What's a "tablet" besides a portable writing board or a compressed bit of medication?

Google is your friend.

Moo

[ 22. September 2010, 21:18: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. [Smile]

However when I googled, I got nary an example of anything edible on the first page -except Apple™ or Blackberry™ sorts- and only this on the second page, which didn't sound right at all.

Now if I had googled "tablet food" in the first place, I would have gotten the Scottish kind and space food... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew tablet was some kind of candy, so I googled tablet candy.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016