homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 40)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After further experimentation with pasta:

Piglet's Pancetta Pasta

For 2 generous servings:

Put 4 oz. pasta on to cook for about 8-10 minutes in well-salted water with a drop of olive oil. I used macaroni, as it was what I had, but I think linguine would be even nicer.

Meanwhile, heat a little butter and olive oil in a frying-pan with a chopped clove of garlic (or a sprinkle of minced garlic), add about 4 oz. pancetta chopped into ¼in. cubes and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 2-3 tablespoons of Philly cheese and stir to break it up as it melts. Chop a couple of small tomatoes into eighths and add them to the pan along with a generous grind of black pepper. Cook over a medium heat, stirring often. Once the pasta's cooked, drain it and mix it into the sauce and serve straightaway on hot plates.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've posted before on here about difficulty with finding a good recipe for red cabbage. Well, I've finally found one that works for me. I found it a little on the sweet side, and used 5 spice instead of star anise and cinnamon sticks. But other than that...

Red cabbage with beetroot recipe.

[ 09. October 2010, 17:33: Message edited by: Keren-Happuch ]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totally the best thing to do to sea bass.

But I do think it has to be fresh ginger (I say this as someone who relies heavily on 'Lazy' ginger - ready chopped/minced in jars). Roasted carrots are good with this as well.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thnaks Firenze , that sounds delicious. We often have fish steaks with additions of wine/herbs/cooked mushrooms etc, wrapped in baking paper and then foil, cooked for a short while each side on the BBQ hotplate. The idea of the double wrapping is to keep wine or other liquids away from the foil and reacting. With our usual fish, we often have just a few baby potatotes, simply boiled, and asparagus or sugar snap peas.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any experience of making jam or marmalade for diabetics?
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help! A co-worker is recovering from a quadruple bypass. I've signed up to bring a meal for him and his wife.

Here's the instructions that we were given:

The meal must be low-fat and low-salt. The only dairy permitted is no-fat yogurt. They don't eat meat, but they do eat fish (including shellfish.) Fruits and veggies are allowed and encouraged. Refined carbs and potatoes should be used only in very small amounts.

To complicate this further, I'm to bring the meal with me to work in the morning, and it will be delivered by another co-worker after work, so it has to be something that holds and transports well.

Ideas? Suggestions? Recipes?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Josephine,

I made this recipe last week, for Wild Rice, Butternut Squash, and Cannelini Bean Stew:

Wild Rice, Butternut Squash, and Cannelini Stew Recipe

It's very delicious. It can be made completely vegetarian or not, depending on which sort of broth one uses, and it's very hearty and satisfying. I would think it could fit very well into a heart-healthy diet. When I made it, I did not add any extra salt (I did not miss it) and I did not use any parmesan cheese, as I eat dairy-free (also did not miss that, as it was so tasty on its own). It is a little bit of a project if one doesn't use the shortcuts they suggest....I did not....but it makes a very large pot of soup/stew which can last quite a while.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:

To complicate this further, I'm to bring the meal with me to work in the morning, and it will be delivered by another co-worker after work, so it has to be something that holds and transports well.

Do you have a fridge to store it in during the day?

I was thinking an easy one would be whole fish or fish steaks, in greaseproof/foil parcels. Put in the aromatics of your choice - eg trout with lemon slices and dill, tuna steaks with a spice rub or whatever. All they need is 15 minutes or so in a hot oven, unwrap and eat.

Accompany with a bag of mixed salad or a bag of ready-chopped microwavable veggies.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Firenze's ginger and chilli fish en papillottes a few posts above would be a bit risky for post-operative recovery, but it is delicious. Also easy would be to fry up some well flavoured mushrooms with shallots or even onions and put them onto the fish; 4 or 5 minutes a side on a hot plate is all that needs, with minimal cleaning up after.

Or take some large mushroom caps and stuff them with a little bit of rice/couscous/polenta, some spinach or silver beet and some yoghurt to bind it all together - just a few minutes in the microwave is all that would cook or reheat them.

In either case, a simple green salad you could make at home, with a small jar of dressing for them, would balance the whole meal.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever tried freezing winter squash in chunks, rather than pureed? We don't have an ideal situation for keeping squash in the shell -- it seems that all our possible storage areas are too warm or too cold -- while I'm not opposed to eating mashed squash, it would be nice to occasionally pull out a bag of chunked squash for stews, etc. I'm wondering if it can be blanched for a few minutes, then packed.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly not particularly low fat (but not high fat either) and nothing to help with blanching of squash (which doesn't sound likely, given the high water content) but instead a recipe for a Chocolate and Chili cake (from a National Trust magazine a year or 2 ago) that I made on Friday, and it gets better every day... perfect for cold autumn days.

175g (6 oz) plain flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 level teaspoon bicarb of soda
1 level teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
150g (5oz) caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
150ml (5 fl oz) vegetable oil
150ml (5 fl oz) milk
1 dried red chili

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C / 350 deg F / gas mark 4.
Grease and line the bottom of a 8 inch/20cm square cake tin.
Sieve the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb into a bowl.
Add the sugar, golden syrup, eggs, oil and milk and beat into a batter.
Remove the seeds from the chili and discard them.
Finely chop the chili, add to the batter and mix in thoroughly.
Pour batter into the tin and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until firm to the touch, or a skewer comes out cleanly.
Turn out of the tin to cool, and leave for as long as you can (a couple of days if possible) to allow the chili to take effect.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Help! A co-worker is recovering from a quadruple bypass. I've signed up to bring a meal for him and his wife.

I'd look at the recipes on this blog:

101 Cookbooks

Most everything there might fit the bill--she's a little generous with olive oil, but I honestly don't know if that would be a problem.

ETA: But learn from my mistakes and don't make that crazy fava bean/mint/ guajillo chile stew. It's delicious, but way too much work.

[ 01. November 2010, 04:44: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a large bag of left over mini snickers bars. Alas not one trick or treater came my way. I will need to make Christmas Cookies soon has anyone tried cutting up snickers and baking them in cookies, or do you have any other idea what I can do with them. NO I do not want to eat them. Well I do but I will not.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Snickers bars -- our church ladies have a recipe that calls for sliced Snickers bars, chopped fresh apples, salted peanuts, caramel ice cream topping and whipped cream...all folded together into ooey-gooey decadence. (And -- I love this -- called a "salad.") There might even be a proper recipe for this floating about teh Internets. Let me see what I can find.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, right, of course it's a salad. It has fresh apples in it. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps they arrange it on a bit of green. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Aha!

Snickers Apple Salad

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Snickers Apple Salad

That's just gross.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Aha!

Snickers Apple Salad

This is heaven or I'd use the disgusting chucking smiley for that link. A container of cool whip?? Bleugh and more!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

quote:
Aha!

Snickers Apple Salad

Good Lord Deliver Us.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

quote:
Piglet's Pancetta Pasta

For 2 generous servings:

Put 4 oz. pasta on to cook for about 8-10 minutes in well-salted water with a drop of olive oil. I used macaroni, as it was what I had, but I think linguine would be even nicer.

Meanwhile, heat a little butter and olive oil in a frying-pan with a chopped clove of garlic (or a sprinkle of minced garlic), add about 4 oz. pancetta chopped into ¼in. cubes and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 2-3 tablespoons of Philly cheese and stir to break it up as it melts. Chop a couple of small tomatoes into eighths and add them to the pan along with a generous grind of black pepper. Cook over a medium heat, stirring often. Once the pasta's cooked, drain it and mix it into the sauce and serve straightaway on hot plates.

The Mr. and I just had this for dinner. our response [Overused] [Overused]
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Piglet's Pancetta Pasta is delicious and even better if you use hot, rather than mild, pancetta - the hot has some chilli in it. And some fresh broad beans, now in season here, are a good addition. Madame only single pods them.

As to the salad - words almost fail me. But a local hotel bistro serves both Rocky Road Bar and Mars Bar calzone pizzas, with a recommendation that 1 pizza with its attendant sauce and ice cream is ample for 2. Perhaps you could serve your own Snicker Pizza (regd trademark symbols to be understood where necessary).

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for kind comments about the pasta. [Smile]

That Snickers/apple thingie really does sound horrid, but I'm not overly fond of Snickers bars anyway, and I fail to see how smothering them in soured cream and cool-whip (whatever that is) is going to help.

All the more for them what likes it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool Whip is imitation whipped cream. The base model contains no dairy at all; you can get "extra creamy" varieties that have actually been within shouting distance of cow squeezings. I believe it is made primarily from water, trans-fats and artificial flavour.

I should say: it comes in a plastic tub in the frozen section.

[ 03. November 2010, 02:35: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I should say: it comes in a plastic tub in the frozen section.

Sounds more as if it should come in the chemical biohazards section.

I'm currently looking for recommendations for vegetarian-recipe chefs (and their cookbooks).

I've got Jane Grigson Vegetables (of course) and her daughter Sophie's Eat Up Your Greens (not all that useful). Recently got Yottem Ottolenghi Plenty - which is the kind of thing I am looking for. Recipes that actually sound interesting - which promised (and sometime do) deliver a taste you might not expect from the basic ingredients.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamie Oliver's 30-minute meals includes some veggie stuff. Admittedly, he used chicken stock in his veggie lasagne, but he did say that was optional.

You might find some of the Cranks books quite helpful and I find Rose Elliott's bean book useful, though perhaps not in terms of original and exciting flavours.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Firenze , try Leaves from our Tuscan Kitchen by Janet Ross. A good range entirely of vegetable recipes, and a real classic. It dates from the late Victorian/Edwardian period. Our copy is a Penguin edition and well thumbed. Many of the recipes make excellent first courses. Apart from trying the recipes given, they make an excellent base for variations.

[ 03. November 2010, 09:43: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

A bit of a double post, but I blame it all on a real lack of computing skills; in turn attributable to a claaic education. In brief, something went wrong with my edit.

Firenze , try Leaves from our Tuscan Kitchen by Janet Ross. A good range entirely of vegetable recipes, and a real classic. It dates from the late Victorian/Edwardian period. Our copy is a Penguin edition and well thumbed. Many of the recipes make excellent first courses. Apart from trying the recipes given, they make an excellent base for variations.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My two indispensables in Veggie cookbooks are:

The Four Seasons Wholefood Cookbook by Susan Thorpe; and

Lord Krishna's Cuisine - The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi. This is a HUGE volume of mainly slightly Americanized North Indian recipes.

Neither are particularly modern but they are both excellent.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Firenze , try Leaves from our Tuscan Kitchen by Janet Ross.

I do actually have that somewhere, I must dig it out. Another ancient Penguin I go back to is Anna Thomas The Vegetarian Epicure. Though I was trying to think the other day why it seems to have dated - something to do with the recipes being quite simple and oddly monocultural in ingredients. It brought home to me how much fusionated (to invent a word) food has become in the last 30 years.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Lord Krishna's Cuisine - The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi. This is a HUGE volume of mainly slightly Americanized North Indian recipes.

I've just ordered that online. The pb though, as the hb was showing on Amazon at £164 (for that I would expect an actual chef stapled to the cover).
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Re old-school vegetarian cookbooks: monocultural is a good way to describe them...although in all fairness it's much easier to specialty ingredients in supermarkets now than it was in the 70's and 80's. (I was rather amazed to see our own larger county supermarket, here in northern flyover land, finally carrying tahini and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.)

I'd love to find a contemporary vegetarian cookbook that's interesting without being precious; recipes suitable for everyday meals. Our DiL, who is very angsty in the kitchen anyway, gave us a veggie cookbook that had been given to her as a gift; she couldn't find any recipe in it suitable for a young working family. Indeed; it had fancy vegetable strudels and terrines and other such party dishes, but no "real" food. And the rub was, at the time the kids lived in a very diverse Brooklyn neighborhood with interesting little produce stands and ethnic groceries on nearly every block...with the right recipes I'm sure they would have had a great deal of fun in the kitchen.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I have a large bag of left over mini snickers bars. [...] what I can do with them.

Break them into pieces and put them in a blender with about an equal quantity of full-cream milk. Whiz till all smashed up. Then cool in the fridge and put in bowl with about the same quantity again of ice cream, and loosely stir together.

Noe you can has Snickers Shake [Smile]

[ 03. November 2010, 19:51: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I'm currently looking for recommendations for vegetarian-recipe chefs (and their cookbooks).

My absolute Desert Island Cookbook (though you can only do so much with sand, I imagine...), is Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian . He does mean EVERYTHING. Usually, comprehensive cookbooks like this turn me off because it's a @#$%-ton of mediocre recipes rather than a couple dozen excellent recipes, but this one's all winners.

Another good one: Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking: all pretty simple, nothing too precious, absolutely delicious food.

[ 04. November 2010, 03:33: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The vegetarian cookbook that I go back to time and again (and more than any of my others) is The George Bernard Shaw Cookbook containing recipes that his cook/housekeeper used.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite vegetarian cookbook is actually Vegan because I am milk intolerant but when I have used recipes from it they have been brilliant and that is:

Rose Elliot (2000) Vegan Feasts published by thorsons isbn 0-7225-4006-x

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
... I am milk intolerant ...

Me too - and although I am not vegetarian I do try to have more veggie meals than non-veggie (until I discovered this intolerance my fave meal was the cheese souffle from the George Bernard Shaw book). So I've ordered this book - thank you!!
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Here's the instructions that we were given:

The meal must be low-fat and low-salt. The only dairy permitted is no-fat yogurt. They don't eat meat, but they do eat fish (including shellfish.) Fruits and veggies are allowed and encouraged. Refined carbs and potatoes should be used only in very small amounts.

Too late for the original situation, but may I suggest this vegetarian crock-pot cookbook. In particular, the recipes for the stews and soups.

In a case like Josephine's (assuming you have access to an outlet at work in a safe place), you could prep the ingredients the night before, toss them all into the pot in the morning, let it do its thing during the day.

Even a small crock-pot will make enough to feed a large family so come prepared with microwavable/freezable containers to dole out some individual servings, if the "invalid" family is small.

Plus, of course, some salad, fruit, and/or a bit of something decadent for dessert if you know the caretakers and can clear all the ingredients.

I imagine if you are sick and eating vegan, a simple fruit crumble with a tiny bit of spices and sweetener would be a nice treat. Using yogurt in place of the butter for the oats/nuts topping shouldn't be a problem. It might even give a bit of tang to what is usually a rather bland dish!

[ 04. November 2010, 17:02: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also late, but an easy low-fat recipe is chicken breast parcels.

one skinless breast fillet per person
button mushrooms, sliced
fresh asparagus or broccoli florets
sesame oil

Take a square of foil for each breast and brush with sesame oil, then layer mushroom slices, asparagus or broccoli, chicken breast. Wrap up parcel and into oven at 180 deg C for 15-20 minutes. Serve accompanied by steamed vegetables in cooler weather, or a green salad with low- or no-fat dressing in summer.

The aroma of the sesame oil permeates the whole parcel and creates a delightful dish.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the vegetarian cookbooks, I like Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. Covers a lot of territory, as you might imagine.
Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Today did another variation of the pasta thing, based on the contents of my fridge and larder: spaghetti (I was right, it was nicer), ordinary bacon instead of pancetta, soured cream instead of Philly cheese, and a handful of chopped, toasted nuts, which added a certain je ne sais quoi.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today was one of our suddenly cold days, perfect for black bean soup! If anyone is interested, I will post the recipe. Oh, yes, I roasted a large pan of veggies, which were almost totally consumed by my Sis and I.

Yummy!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, here's a challenge:

It's pumpkin pie season here in my part of America. My vegetarian hubby loves it and I am having a seasonal hankering after it myself.

But the new house in Tinier Town does not yet have an actual kitchen with an oven.

So I'm trying to think of how to make some approximation of it with only a toaster oven.

For the filling I use canned squash/pumpkin and a version of the can label recipe (eggs, butter, spices and condensed milk). I don't see any problem (except figuring out the time and temp of baking) with this in the toaster oven.

The pastry, on the other hand, I think may be a problem. Traditional pastry, in the close confines of a toaster oven, will burn up while the filling bakes.

I have considered the little frozen pastry shells, with a shot of pumpkin filling and a swirl of whipped cream.

But that doesn't provide the leftover slices of plain pumpkin pie for breakfast.

Any ideas?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No answers on a toaster oven way to proceed with the pie, but if you were willing to tolerate a graham cracker crust and have a slow cooker, then I have come across a Crock pot pumpkin pie.

Noting the advice on cooking for the dietary restricted friend above, I thought I would share my vegetarian slow cooker recipe source: The Vegetarian Slow Cooker Blog.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Thanks, frin, I hadn't thought about the slow cooker. While I have no objection to a graham cracker crust, hubby likes to be able to pick up a piece of pie and eat it without benefit of dish or cutlery.

I'm also thinking that if I cooked the pie filling in the slow cooker to pudding state and then put it in little pie shells in the toaster oven to finish it off, it might work.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I just re-read that recipe; 3/4 cups of honey to 1 and 1/2 cups of fresh pumpkin? Ye Gods, I ate sugar straight out of the bowl as a child, but that's a ridiculous ratio of sweet for a pumpkin pie.

Nonetheless, the method is still worth exploring with, as I said, my usual recipe cooked in the crock pot to a pudding rather than a fully done pie filling state.

I've ordered a couple of different small frozen pastry shells from my Food Co-op, plus I'll make some scratch pastry and try out the true grit of some of my different oven-proof glass ramekins in the toaster oven.

Ouch. I better plan on a lot of extra heavy-duty walks to balance out the taste-testing. Maybe I could borrow a dog or small child.

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Amanda...

(From right off the Old Bay can...)

CRAB CAKES

INGREDIENTS
2 slices white bread, crusts removed and crumbled
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons OLD BAY® Seasoning
2 teaspoons McCormick® Parsley Flakes
1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, mix bread, mayo, OLD BAY, parsley, mustard and egg until well blended. Gently stir in crabmeat. Shape into 4 patties.

Broil 10 minutes without turning or fry until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle liberally with OLD BAY.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Talking of crustacea, anyone good on what to do with indifferent lobster?

I have a small frozen one from Lidl. My game plan was to use it primarily to generate a sauce into which to place other shellfish (all to be topped off with crispy calamari).

Just not entirely sure about how to go about realising this.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
I'd love to find a contemporary vegetarian cookbook that's interesting without being precious; recipes suitable for everyday meals.

May I recommend anything by Ken Haedrich.

He loves baking most of all, but his cookbooks seem to have been actually tested in part by cooking for his family and whether his kids could master the basic recipes. Oh, and whether the kids would eat the stuff.

And the ingredients are pretty much what you can find at the local store, now that local stores carry whole wheat flour. No need to order from one of those hoity-toity places they talk about in The New Yorker.

If he would combine all his work into a single volume, it would probably be my vegetarian equivalent of "Joy of Cooking".

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Just not entirely sure about how to go about realising this.

I'm not either, but I'm seeing heavy cream, sherry, bell pepper and pimiento. I'm also seeing that it's finally lunch time and I'm starving…

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016