homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 41)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking some garlic, too, and maybe a little chicken broth if you need more liquid.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Talking of crustacea, anyone good on what to do with indifferent lobster?

I think you're looking at a sauce, as you suggest. I'd probably make a pasta sauce, and I'd probably improvise with tomato, booze and cream, a little garlic and a green herb. The booze could be white wine, or brandy, or sherry, or even a touch of vermouth if you like. The green herb could be parsley or tarragon but I'd suggest just sticking to one.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saute some finely chopped shallot and garlic in butter, touch of flour, vermouth, stock made from boiling up all the lobster debris after I've extracted any meat, and finish with creme fraiche.

Do we think that would work?

I have a feeling it ought to be richer somehow - tomatoes? brandy?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do we think that would work?

I'd have thought so... I'd suggest making what you describe, then tasting it partway through to see how it's shaping up. You might find that with butter, lobster, stock, vermouth, and the creme fraiche to come it would be rich enough already, but while it's still cooking you would still have a chance to add the tomato if you wanted. Are you thinking of tossing in some scallops, prawns etc? They will have their own flavour and juices to add.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady in Red's easy cheesecake has become a RoS staple, especially when I need to clear the fridge of the remains of various dairy products on the day before I re-stock.
Last week, for the chocolate element, I used a Terry's Chocolate Orange from last Christmas, as it was nearing the dreaded BBD.
It made a very pleasant variation, and I'm now wondering what other flavoured chocolate might work well in that recipe.
I'm tempted to try chocolate and chilli.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas preparations have set in here...

I'm making Christmas sauerkraut for the first time [Eek!] in a crock that I've set out in the garage. It's fermenting merrily away despite the low temperatures out there.

My husband is going to be preparing pinnekjott, the traditional Norwegian cured lamb for Christmas Eve, over the next few days.

I've made two recipes of rum-hazelnut-chocolate balls and squirrelled them away in the pantry.

Bit behind on the fruitcake. For that I like to use home-candied orange peel, which is a pain to make but so delicious. So I want to do that over the next week or so too.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I frequently make my own vinaigrette or salads, but I discovered tonight that one of my standards - olive oil, balsamic, mustard, garlic, honey - plus a pinch or two of rosemary and oregano - makes a v. successful marinade for lamb chops.

With this I did Nigel Slater's recipe for tzatziki, which involves removing the seeds from the cucumber, before mixing with the Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, dash of olive oil, fresh mint leaves, garlic clove. Makes it less watery.

That, a sauted potato and a bottle of Corbieres red intresting named 'Vox Dei' is all the human frame requires.

[ 20. November 2010, 20:52: Message edited by: Firenze ]

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just googled to find the traditional Libby's pumpkin pie recipe (since my cookbooks and recipe files haven't yet made the move to Tinier Town).

My recipe, copied from my mother's recipe card, which she said she got from the pumpkin can, calls for brown sugar, molasses and melted butter.

All the googled recipes lack those three ingredients, replaced by a quantity of plain white sugar. Yuck.

Maybe my mother's recipe came from some other brand of canned pumpkin. The other difference is that it calls for "rich milk" (whatever that is) rather than evaporated. I also suspect her recipe dates back to the '40s, not the '50s.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I didn't know where the raw brown sugar was residing yesterday, and couldn't be bothered looking, I made my cakes with boring old white sugar and they were boring old cakes! The brown sugar at least gives some flavour and, with the sort we use, that tiny hint of bitterness - very like a dark muscovados. Next time I promise not to be so lazy!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg is this the recipe you are thinking of? Rich Milk is the full fat whole milk, not just 2% or less fat.
I'm getting in the mood for pumpkin scones now....

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's pretty close. It doesn't have the 'bake ten minutes at 425F, then switch to 350F (open oven door to cool) and bake an additional 45 minutes' bit. And I don't remember cloves.

Back in the '50s (which my mother's pie recipes date back to, if not earlier), full fat milk in a recipe was simply 'milk'. Skim milk existed, I suppose, but none of the 'low-fat' versions.

It's possible the term 'rich milk' referred to milk from cows (such as Jerseys) which have a higher-than-average fat content (4.5% or more, compared to the typical 3.5-4%).

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I stumbled across some small oblong foil pans in the grocery store ("Perfect for toaster ovens!"), kluged the Libby can recipe to the best of my memory and made a pumpkin pie in the toaster oven.

Not perfect, but close enough for a first run.

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I seem to be having everyone 11 people for lunch on Boxing Day... I'm planning on roasting a ham and having cold cuts, cheese, sausages, little pies, chutneys... cakes, biscuits, nice things.

But the vaguely healthy bit of me says 'vegetables, you'll need vegetables'.

There are enough north-easterners coming that I'm going to channel my grandmother (oh she'd be so proud I've married someone who actually likes the stuff) and will be making pease pudding. But being at least 50% southern English, I don't actually like it.

Any other good ideas for vegetable dishes which can be hot or cold and are vaguely on the healthy side?

(Eta: I'm sure Pease Pudding is loved down south somewhere to, but I'm the result of an inter-region marriage and nomadic childhood and some things, for me, are just northern)

[ 02. December 2010, 12:49: Message edited by: Ferijen ]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
So I seem to be having everyone 11 people for lunch on Boxing Day... I'm planning on roasting a ham and having cold cuts, cheese, sausages, little pies, chutneys... cakes, biscuits, nice things.

But the vaguely healthy bit of me says 'vegetables, you'll need vegetables'.

There are enough north-easterners coming that I'm going to channel my grandmother (oh she'd be so proud I've married someone who actually likes the stuff) and will be making pease pudding. But being at least 50% southern English, I don't actually like it.

Any other good ideas for vegetable dishes which can be hot or cold and are vaguely on the healthy side?

(Eta: I'm sure Pease Pudding is loved down south somewhere to, but I'm the result of an inter-region marriage and nomadic childhood and some things, for me, are just northern)

We always had something like this on Boxing Day at home, and hot mashed potatoes were always an essential accompaniment.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spouts, mushrooms and water chestnuts, all halved and stir fried together with some sherry or some oyster sauce is easy and goes down well.

Start the sprouts cooking first then after a few minutes add the mushrooms then lastly the water chestnuts.

Warm Humous goes down well, too.

Roast Parsnips, but they really have to be served warm.

Instead of pease pudding we do mushy peas with garlic - it's fab!

Lightly steamed cauliflower and broccoli florets are another favourite.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ratatouille, hot or cold.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Another vote for ratatouille. It's one of my standard things to bring to a potluck. (I'll never forget the joy of the woman recovering from a heart attack when I told her it was nothing but vegetables and a bit of olive oil - she was so thrilled to find something she was allowed to eat!)

Roasted root veggies: potatoes (white and sweet), carrots, parsnips, whatever you like. Cut into chunks, toss in a bit of oil to coat, season (perhaps rosemary, salt pepper; again, whatever you like). Bake at high heat (425F - 450F) until tender.

A plate of cucumber slices, generously drizzled with plain yogurt and then a sprinkling of dill. Quick, easy, yummy.

Not the veg category, but fresh citrus fruits make a nice balance to the delicious but fatty foods and are also very healthy.

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A salad made of:

shredded fennel bulb
shredded celery root (celeriac)
minced parsley
vinaigrette made with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper

This recipe, which I found in a Gourmet cookbook, is now my standard salad for holiday gatherings. It goes very well with rich food. Such a relief.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Totally second Anna b's suggestion: by that time on Christmas, I could kill for anything sharp, fresh and crunchy.

Celery and chicory with walnut pieces and a dressing made with lemon juice and walnut oil is good too.

Or red peppers with cherry tomatoes, shredded shallot and a finely diced green chili in olive oil and balsamic.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Ages ago, I learned a simple recipe for julienned (cut into matchstick sized and shaped pieces) carrots and parsnips. They were sauteed in some butter and/or olive oil and finished off with a bit of vinegar of some sort.

Sadly, since it was such a simple recipe I never wrote it down or noted where I saw it. And now I can't remember what the missing middle ingredient was: something sweet? a particular herb? All I know is that is was a single thing.

I'm posting this hoping someone might recognize the dish.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another good winter salad is grated beetroot, apple and carrot with toasted seeds and either vinaigrette or just orange juice as a dressing.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Ages ago, I learned a simple recipe for julienned (cut into matchstick sized and shaped pieces) carrots and parsnips. They were sauteed in some butter and/or olive oil and finished off with a bit of vinegar of some sort.

Sadly, since it was such a simple recipe I never wrote it down or noted where I saw it. And now I can't remember what the missing middle ingredient was: something sweet? a particular herb? All I know is that is was a single thing.

I'm posting this hoping someone might recognize the dish.

The sautes I've done of carrots (and I expect parsnips if I'd thought of it) have been butter, orange juice and rosemary, or butter, honey and rosemary.

I'm familiar with the idea of adding a splash of vinegar (normally balsamic) to saute or roast veggies - particularly onions or red peppers - but I would hesitate for carrots and parsnips.

The only thing would be to try it (and I well may, as I have both veggies on hand and a projected beef roast tomorrow).

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carrots are very nice cooked in orange juice with a teaspoon or so of ground aniseed seeds, then drained and buttered.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Today was one of our suddenly cold days, perfect for black bean soup! If anyone is interested, I will post the recipe.

It's been a few weeks since you posted that, jedijudy, but if the offer still stands, I'd love to have the recipe!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made jaegerschnitzel for the first time the other day. Just pound a boneless pork chop a quarter inch thin, dip in well salted flour, beaten egg, and bread crumbs in that order, put in the fridge for about 15 minutes, then brown in a little hot oil and melted butter on both sides. You can bread the schnitzels ahead of time, and it only takes 5-6 minutes total in the pan. Easiest thing ever. Everyone's favorite flavor- FRIED!

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, here is the Black Bean soup recipe!

2 tsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp dried oregano, crumbled
¼ tsp dried thyme, crumbled
¼ tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 ½ cups cooked and drained black beans
1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 tsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional)

In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat for 1 minute; add the onion and garlic and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Stir in the oregano, thyme, cumin and cayenne pepper, and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.

Meanwhile, place half of the black beans in a food processor and puree by whirling for 30 seconds. Add the bean puree, the remaining beans, and the chicken broth to the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Garnish soup in bowls with cilantro. (And sour cream.)

This is the basic recipe. I now add double the oregano and more than double the cumin, just because that's what I like! Plus, I serve it over rice (usually basmati).

[forgot the rice!]

[ 04. December 2010, 04:41: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Firenze and piglet, thanks for the replies. I have also been thinking maybe orange juice, but that simply doesn't elicit a memory.

Next time I talk to my sister (I first made this at her apartment in Boston), I'll ask if she remembers.

jj, that black bean soup sounds good - I love cumin.

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

jlg---maple syrup?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, jj. My mouth is watering -- can't wait to try it!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody have a fabulous chili recipe? I made a search and didn't find anything listed.

Would love something really full-flavored and spicy - and I'd like to go vegetarian, if possible. Whole Foods around here sells a line of chili - I can't remember the name right now - that's terrific, but so expensive! I'd like to make my own.

With black beans and red both maybe? Thanks in advance....

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
Does anybody have a fabulous chili recipe?

Is 'chili' a specific dish? I add chilies with gay abandon to just about anything.

An approach I often take to recipe finding is to put my preferred ingredients in google with 'recipe' on the end - normally that brings up a satisfactory range.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Is 'chili' a specific dish? I add chilies with gay abandon to just about anything.

An approach I often take to recipe finding is to put my preferred ingredients in google with 'recipe' on the end - normally that brings up a satisfactory range.

Beware! That's the way to get <Ingredient 1> and <Ingredient 2> Bake. That suffix 'Bake' in recipes in women's and supermarket magazines usually indicates something boring or bland: the culinary equivalent of Magnolia paint or Classic FM.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Oh, sorry - another Pond difference. This is what we mean over here, mostly - except that as you can see, this dish is "con carne," which is what I'm not really looking for (although I do like it). There are two varieties people talk about: Mexican chili, and Tex-Mex chili. One has beans and one doesn't - or something like that - but I'm really just looking for a vegetarian version anyway so didn't think to make the distinction.

There are lots of recipes on the web, you're right - so many that I'm not sure where to start. So I thought I'd ask if anybody here had something they really liked, and I'd start there.

Thanks!

[ 04. December 2010, 18:06: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I can beg JB to share his famous chile recipe. Let me see if I can find him...

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

"Chile", like "spaghetti sauce" comes in infinite varieties.

I'd say the only common denominator of chile is that it will have beans and tomatoes and at least some facsimile of hot peppers. (I grew up in the midwest, where 1/2 tsp of stale ground cayenne was considered really heavy seasoning for two quarts or more of chile. Normal would be 1/4 tsp.)

JB's recipe is very southwestern and wonderful. Nothing like the midwestern ground-beef/red bean thick stew I grew up with (which can also be good).

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

I did find some really good leads on that Wikipedia page, actually via some of the links.

Here, for instance, is LBJ's recipe. [Eek!]

But there are a couple of amazing sites at the bottom of the page, although all the recipes are of the meat-no-beans variety (which I may go ahead and try while I search for vegetarian). There's apparently a "multiple dump" of spices and seasonings in some of the more elaborate versions. Check this one out, for instance. Yowee! But it does look like fun.

Each year's chili content winner gives his/her recipe on that site, so there are many possibilities.

Would love to have JB's recipe, too, if he's up for giving it. Thanks again!

[ 05. December 2010, 01:44: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I highly recommend JB's. But in its pristine form, I remember it having meat in it.

This is a vegetarian version of my favorite recipe:

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 medium onion chopped

1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped

1 clove (or more to taste) garlic minced

2 8 oz cans tomato sauce

1 15 1/2 oz can black beans with liquid

1 15 1/2 oz can whole pinto beans with liquid

1 small can diced mild green chiles

1/2 cup amber or brown ale (Dos XX is good)

1 or 2 Tbsp chili powder to taste

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp cumin

season with salt to taste

a hot sauce such as La Victoria Salsa Brava or Tapatio (I don't recommend Louisiana style hot sauce for this- too vinegary) OR crushed red pepper to individually raise the spicy heat at the table.

grated cheddar, sour cream, diced green onions to garnish

Instructions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet to medium. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until soft. Add and mix thoroughly tomato sauce, both kinds of beans with their liquid, the green chiles, the ale, and the herbs, spices, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered about 45 min. to an hour to desired thickness. If it gets overly thick add some water or ale. Set out garnishes and hot stuff at the table to doctor as you like.

(If you know that you and yours definitely like chili more fiery you can throw in some crushed red pepper or some chopped jalapeno or some finely diced chipotle chile while cooking. I tend to start mild to medium because some folks I have over can't take too much heat.)

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
There's apparently a "multiple dump" of spices and seasonings in some of the more elaborate versions. Check this one out, for instance. Yowee! But it does look like fun.

Any recipe that starts out with onion powder and garlic powder followed by "chicken crystals" and "beef crystals" gets a thumbs down from me. Real cooks chop their own onions and garlic and don't use bullion cubes (which is what I assume the "crystals" are) in place of stock.

Not to mention that all the seasonings were asterisked with a link to some particular purveyor of seasonings.

This sounds like the Chile version of the modern Pillsbury Bake-Off, where you are rewarded for using as many of their processed products as possible, instead of making things from scratch.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or the "authentic" 400 year old recipe to which Elizabth David refers. A major ingredient was the margarine or such like manufactured by the publishers of the resipe.....

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I don't think I have ever come across a more off-putting instruction than -

Gray the meat and drain grease

And I agree about all the proprietary spices and processed ingredients. I suspect the result would be what I have often experienced with restaurant food in the USA - initially it seems very flavoursome but after a while you realise it doesn't taste of anything real. There is no follow up to that first, crazed assault of salt/sweet/hot.

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

Well, maybe that wasn't the best example; I really only linked to it because of all the various spice "dumps."

And apparently the garlic- and onion-powder thing is done when there's a competition, for consistency of taste - at least according to this article. More about the "dumps" there, too - that's done, it seems, because certain spices are more fragile than others, and their flavors change if cooked for too long, it says there. I'm definitely going to try this; the chili recipes sound fantastic to me.

I don't personally see the problem with using garlic or onion powder, I should add; almost every spice in the spice cupboard is a powder of something or a combination of things. And I make my own stock - sometimes - but have no problem using bouillon cubes when I don't have any around....

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

And thanks, LydaRose, for that vegetarian recipe! That will fit the bill nicely, although I'll have to sub something in for the bell pepper, 'cause I definitely ain't paying the price they charge around here for those!

No beer, either; wonder if there's something I could substitute for that? I have some red cooking wine, and maybe that would do. I'm also thinking that adding some baking chocolate might be a possibility....

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Hmmm. My main reserve, besides 'gray' (we brown meat) is the draining off. You are effectively getting rid of what the French call the 'fond' by throwing away the meat juices.

You get rid of excess fat by skimming the sauce towards the end of cooking.

As for powders, the ground form may be appropriate for a specific recipe, but it is not the only form (and ideally, it should be freshly ground to boot). Often you put in the whole seed or pod or root or berry or bulb - maybe chopped or crushed or bruised.

But I think it's summed up in the article you link to: 'Big-league chili isn't really meant to be eaten, except for one spoonful by a judge. Cookoff chili has become a rarefied beast, like a well-groomed show dog. Think of it as the NASCAR of the food world. It looks like chili on the outside, but under the hood it's a whole 'nuther thing.'

In other words, it's food - but not as we know it, Jim.

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Hmmm. My main reserve, besides 'gray' (we brown meat) is the draining off. You are effectively getting rid of what the French call the 'fond' by throwing away the meat juices.

You get rid of excess fat by skimming the sauce towards the end of cooking.

As for powders, the ground form may be appropriate for a specific recipe, but it is not the only form (and ideally, it should be freshly ground to boot). Often you put in the whole seed or pod or root or berry or bulb - maybe chopped or crushed or bruised.

But I think it's summed up in the article you link to: 'Big-league chili isn't really meant to be eaten, except for one spoonful by a judge. Cookoff chili has become a rarefied beast, like a well-groomed show dog. Think of it as the NASCAR of the food world. It looks like chili on the outside, but under the hood it's a whole 'nuther thing.'

In other words, it's food - but not as we know it, Jim.

Which is OK with me. I'm definitely looking for something different; I've never had any decent chili, except that very expensive stuff I mentioned above - which made me realize what I'd been missing. The difference is definitely all in the spicing. I wonder if you could find one of those recipes from the early days of San Antonio chili stands? That would really be great.

In any case, I'm very much looking forward to trying that 3-stage spicing method. I've never seen it before anywhere, but it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again to all who offered recipes! Still looking forward to cooking a great vegetarian version, too....

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And thanks, LydaRose, for that vegetarian recipe! That will fit the bill nicely, although I'll have to sub something in for the bell pepper, 'cause I definitely ain't paying the price they charge around here for those!

No beer, either; wonder if there's something I could substitute for that? I have some red cooking wine, and maybe that would do. I'm also thinking that adding some baking chocolate might be a possibility....

I didn't add beer to my chili until recent years. I just got a taste for it after experimenting. If you have some vegetable broth or crystals (sorry, jlg) instead, it might enrich the flavor. I'm not sure wine would work well; I think it's the malty-ness of beer not the alcohol that makes it tasty. Also I switched out red bell peppers for green ones although they are usually twice as expensive (but I really like the red ones! [Biased] ). Could you afford a green one?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These two chilis, dragged out of my cookbooks, fed scout troops and one famous Wightmeet when I comandeered Smudgie's kitchen. I understand the poor dear had to move shortly after. [Big Grin]

Chili con carne (feeds 12 hungry boy scouts and five leaders hopefully)

4 lb. hamburger
3 large onions peeled and chopped
3 cans kidney beans 19 oz. size (or 2 28 oz. size) drained.
2 large cans chopped tomato
3 green peppers chopped finely
2 large peeled carrots, chopped finely
1 head garlic, peeled and chopped

2 tsp INDIAN chili powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp. cumin seed or powder
1 tsp. celery seed

Cook hamburger, onion and garlic. Drain. Add everything else. Cook on low until the ingredients are familiar with each other.

Serve over rice.

And a smaller veg. version -

For veg. chili. In smaller quantity.

1 can lentils
1 large onion chopped
1 cans kidney
1 can chickpeas
garlic chopped and peeled
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper chopped finely
1 can chopped tomato

1 tsp INDIAN chili
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp celery seed

Cook onion and garlic, add drained beans
Add everything else, mixing as you go. Cook as above.

Serve with rice

Side dishes: shallots with chili (peel 1 lb. shallots, and crush: Mix with 2 tbsp. chili powder, 2 tbsp.oil, little salt.) Let stand at least ten minutes.

and:

Plain unsweetened yoghurt. Add to chili to cool down.

It seemed to go over well, so although very pedestrian, it is worth a try.

By Indian chili powder I mean freshly milled dried red chilies, not the blends so often confused with chili powder. Spicing may be adjusted to suit tastes.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

I didn't add beer to my chili until recent years. I just got a taste for it after experimenting. If you have some vegetable broth or crystals (sorry, jlg) instead, it might enrich the flavor. I'm not sure wine would work well; I think it's the malty-ness of beer not the alcohol that makes it tasty. Also I switched out red bell peppers for green ones although they are usually twice as expensive (but I really like the red ones! [Biased] ). Could you afford a green one?
Well, I could probably buy one - although I am not flush at the moment and trying to keep unnecessary expenses down - but it's the principle of the thing!

I don't think greens are much less expensive around here, either, actually. They're all gigantic, too. I stopped buying bell peppers awhile ago, actually - but the local Central American market might have some other kinds of sweet peppers I could try.

Maybe one of those non-alcoholic beers would be OK, now that I think of it. I know what you mean about the malty flavor - I love it, too. (Even malt syrup might work?)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nota- given the make-up of my target groups, I do not add beer to my own recipe.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

And thank you, PeteC! I know what you mean about "Chili Powder" - that's probably going to be the hardest thing to figure out. There are all kinds of versions of this, from super-bland to supersonic spicy, and who knows which way to go?

I do have an Indian grocery not far from me, and will probably be able to get the kind you recommend. (Indian groceries, as I'm sure many people know, are truly excellent places to get all kinds of spices! You can get a big bag of cloves, for instance, for a couple of bucks - 20 times the amount you get in those tiny tins at the supermarket for the same price. Same for cardamom and cinnamon and beans and seeds of all kinds, among other things.)

The side dishes you recommend sound terrific as well! Yoghurt - and shallots with chilis! That especially sounds really wonderful...

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caveat: I've never made this.

But Moosewood recipes are almost always very good and this one seems economical:

Moosewood vegetarian chili

You can get bulgar at Whole Paycheck or any natural or Middle Eastern market. I'd skip the wine, as it's a tiny amount anyway.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016