homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odja, or however you spell it.

Slice the peppers and some onion and prepare some garlic.

Fry onion in some olive oil for a few minutes then add garlic and lastly the peppers, turn heat down and cook slowly, season as you do so. When cooked to your satisfaction stir in a beaten egg or two, continue to stir, do not allow to quite fully set - this is not scrambled eggs or an omelette.

Drizzle on some more [good quality] olive oil.

Serve with some good bread.

A good Tunisian peasant dish.

You can add chopped tomatoes if you wish, if you add them just before serving it gives a lovely fresh flavour.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
Odja, or however you spell it.

I'd spell it Piperade [Biased]

(A dish from the Basque regions of France & Spain). It is very yummy!

I keep an eye open for the 'economy' bags of less than perfect peppers that appear in the supermarkets in the summer and cook vast quantities of peppers up in olive oil, with onion, and freeze them to use during the rest of the year.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my house we cook peppers & tomatoes in the same way, but break the eggs whole into the pepper mix and bake for 12 mins until set.
It's known as Kamchatka, although the Slimming World recipe that we use calls it something else that sounds a bit like Kamchatka but isn't...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Piperade

Just had some for lunch [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what it would be like with some chopped spinach added a few minutes before the end.

The Tunisian version has some chilli in the seasoning, I think. But then I would put it in anyway, on principle.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qupe
Shipmate
# 12388

- Posted      Profile for Qupe   Email Qupe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds lovely. In my fridge I have a fish pie with haddock, prawns and crabmeat in white wine and cream, topped by a spinach layer and then a layer of mashed sweet potato infused with lemon and saffron. I am really looking forward to eatng it tonight with my friends who are coming to stay! For pudding I have made an 'ultimate chocolate cake' - a very rich, dark, gooey three layered cake covered in chocolate ganache. Things that make you go yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

--------------------
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Posts: 802 | From: Down the road from the chocolate factory | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qupe:
In my fridge I have a fish pie with haddock, prawns and crabmeat in white wine and cream, topped by a spinach layer and then a layer of mashed sweet potato infused with lemon and saffron. I am really looking forward to eatng it tonight with my friends who are coming to stay!

And four hundred and ninety three uninvited shipmates.

Speaking of fish, I have a beautiful piece of cod loin in the fridge for dinner, plus a pack of upmarket anchovies. Anyone got any interesting cod and anchovy recipes? There's some samphire knocking about as well.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't help there, Firenze, but I've just had a lunch to die for. A wholemeal rustique filled with sweet pickled herring, cucumber and mascarpone; accompanie by Veuve Aubert Aine 2005 (a vin de pays d'oc Chardonnay).

Why do fish pies have to be so complicated? Yours, F, is refreshingly simple but I bet it took you at least an hour to prepare.

The other day I found myself with a cauliflower that needed to be eaten and a salmon cutlet ditto. Fish followed by cauliflower cheese? Well I'd bought the salmon with the intention of making a fish pie....Cauliflower cheese fish pie is interesting, but an unexpected visitor meant I had to leave it in the fridge for a day, and somehow the creamy sauce, when I came to heat the dish the following lunch time, clung to the ricotta crumble above, while the salmon swum cheerfully in clear water below.

Now you know why I usually stick to sandwiches for lunch. [Smile]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Qupe:
In my fridge I have a fish pie with haddock, prawns and crabmeat in white wine and cream, topped by a spinach layer and then a layer of mashed sweet potato infused with lemon and saffron. I am really looking forward to eatng it tonight with my friends who are coming to stay!

And four hundred and ninety three uninvited shipmates.

Speaking of fish, I have a beautiful piece of cod loin in the fridge for dinner, plus a pack of upmarket anchovies. Anyone got any interesting cod and anchovy recipes? There's some samphire knocking about as well.

What about making that olive puree stuff and bashing up the anchovies to add to it. Covering the top of the cod, and baking until cooked. Meanwhile [Roll Eyes] cook the samphaire in a little water (I think its that green spiky stuff found near the sea? - I have only seen it on TV) and serve with potatoes?

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I eventually did was cook both the cod and the samphire quite simply - since both have delicate flavours. But then to offset those, I buttered some slices of good French bread on both sides, sprinkled thickly with cheese, and topped with the anchovies, and baked in a hot oven until crispy and gooey.

Totally recommend, totally.

[ 29. August 2008, 16:47: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A general question. I regularly participate and contribute recipes to www.allrecipes.com (which I recommend highly). As a member, I may post reviews of recipes there and rate the recipe and suggest things I did differently. I was reflecting the other day, looking at peach cobbler recipes, that it's quite common for a reviewer to give a recipe top rating or near it, but say something like: "5 stars! I loved this recipe -- except I swapped apple juice for the water, used brown sugar instead of white, added nutmeg, doubled the cinnamon, used fresh peaches instead of canned, doubled the number of peaches and dotted it all with butter before baking it for twice the recommended time. Yum!" (examples: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peach-Cobbler-II-2/Detail.aspx)

[Try corrected link here.]

That seems like saying: "I loved this movie, except I hummed a different song in place of the soundtrack, covered my eyes and plugged my ears at the violent scenes and anything with kissing, and left halfway through."

How should I rate a cobbler recipe, when I did everything differently from the original poster, but dud use that recipe as a starting point? Some people seem to go halfway -- they'll give it a 4-star rating, subtracting a star for all their own modifications.

[ 30. August 2008, 05:58: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
I have 3 bell peppers I need to use within a day or two. Does anyone have any recipes for a braise or sautee? I'm stumped beyond sauteeing them in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.

I'm trying to keep this is as simple as possible, so no stuffed pepper recipes, please.

Probably too late for those peppers, but if you find yourself in the same position again try halving them, scooping out the seeds, filling the halfs with halved cherry toms (or bits of chopped normal sized toms), olives, capers, tiny slivers of garlic, tuck in some basil leaves, top with anchovy, drizzle with oil and bake in oven till everything is soft and slightly chewy*.

Add dried toms as well if you like. Pesto would also work. (Maybe instead of the olives and capers)

Stuffed peppers they may be, but they're very simple and very yummy. Especially when eaten cold the next day.

I can't imagine this working with green peppers but maybe that's because I don't like them. It's great with red and orange though.

(I could dig up the proper recipe if I can remember where it is if you'd like something more accurate.)

*You know what I mean, blackened and a bit caramelized but not burnt.

[ 29. August 2008, 20:46: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We stirfry bell pepper slices in butter and a little soy sauce along with steak bits and onions. MMMMMmmmm. Then put over rice, juice and all.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip> ... a pack of upmarket anchovies ... <snip>

Upmarket anchovies?????

[Confused] [Eek!] [Confused]

PS I only didn't put in the projectile icon because this is a food thread and I didn't want to make anyone feel ill.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sorry for double-post)

To KenWritez on the bell-pepper query - have you tried making red pepper jelly? It's absolutely magic spread on top of cream cheese on a plate and served with crackers as a starter or nibble.

Heat 5 x 1-cup jars in a low (100 deg. C) oven for 10 minutes to sterilise.

Chop and de-seed 2 large red bell peppers, and puree with 1 cup of white vinegar. In a large pot, mix the puree with four-and-a-half cups of sugar, stirring well. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and boil for 10 minutes, stirring often.

Remove from the heat, add 1 envelope of liquid Certo pectin and stir again.

Return to the heat, bring to a rapid rolling boil and boil for one minute, stirring contantly.

Remove from the heat and put into the heated jars.

Also makes a good Christmas pressie or church sale home-made goods item.

Good luck!

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
A general question. I regularly participate and contribute recipes to www.allrecipes.com (which I recommend highly). As a member, I may post reviews of recipes there and rate the recipe and suggest things I did differently. I was reflecting the other day, looking at peach cobbler recipes, that it's quite common for a reviewer to give a recipe top rating or near it, but say something like: "5 stars! I loved this recipe -- except I swapped apple juice for the water, used brown sugar instead of white, added nutmeg, doubled the cinnamon, used fresh peaches instead of canned, doubled the number of peaches and dotted it all with butter before baking it for twice the recommended time. Yum!" (examples: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peach-Cobbler-II-2/Detail.aspx)

That seems like saying: "I loved this movie, except I hummed a different song in place of the soundtrack, covered my eyes and plugged my ears at the violent scenes and anything with kissing, and left halfway through."

How should I rate a cobbler recipe, when I did everything differently from the original poster, but dud use that recipe as a starting point? Some people seem to go halfway -- they'll give it a 4-star rating, subtracting a star for all their own modifications.

Laura, I'm having trouble with the second link; the site redirects it to a page that says it can't be found.

I may be a purist, but it seems to me that the ratings for a published recipe should reflect the recipe itself, not any modifications of it. The person doing the rating isn't giving 5 stars to the original recipe but rather to his/her own version of it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita: Rightclick over the link, do "copy link location" (or whatever your browser calls it), then open a new window, "paste" the link there, and remove the ")" from the end.

Or just use this one.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that pesky punctuation. Thanks, mousethief.

Laura, I edited your post; is that correct now?

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
<snip> ... a pack of upmarket anchovies ... <snip>

Upmarket anchovies?????
Yes, not tinned and viciously salty, but fresh in a light dressing of oil, lemon and chili. Totally different beast. Or fish.
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of fish, I just learned you can get free copies of the latest edition Monterrey Bay Aquarium's handy-dandy Seafood Watch Guide online. You can download it, or order theirs, printed on cardstock and ready to go in your wallet. (Or download it to your cell phone!)

It's well worth getting. I use it whenever I buy seafood.

More info here.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember asking on here about kohlrabi last time I had some in the veg box, but if I did, I can't find it now.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for simple things to do with it? I once tried a kohlrabi gratin but as that involves slicing it with a food processor or mandolin that's way too much faff with the K-Glet around!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kohlrabi recipes from a box scheme site.

Steamed and buttered according to my Vegetable Cookery or to improve it, for 750g kohlrabi, peel, cut into small cubes, wash and partially drain. Melt 30g butter in a pan and dissolve ½ tsp sugar into butter, add kohlrabi. Cook for 2 mins, stirring. Add 25cl/8fl oz chicken stock, season lightly salt and pepper. Simmer, covered over low heat, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir 4tsps flour into 25cl/8fl oz double cream and add to kohlrabi mix and mix well. Stir in 3 tbsps chopped parsley,. Simmer over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the cream has thickened and is sauce consistency.

I haven't tried that one. My kohlrabi tends to end up in mixed root stuff.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

[Try corrected link here.]

Post your new recipe.

When does a recipe become new? If you start with one recipe and start tinkering with it at which point does it become a new recipe? I Laura had only replaced tinned peaches with fresh is this enough? I thin that all she did change makes it a new recipe but at what point does it become so?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm not sure whether this is the right thread or whether this would be better on the questions thread but I'll ask here anyway.

Yesterday evening I was surfing a recipe site, the posters being mainly North American, and many recipes called for Blue Cheese - I was sort of intrigued about what they might mean.

To me, with my UK upbringing it could mean a vast range of things with wildly different tastes from Danish Blue [not my favourite] through Stilton, Blue Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, Dolcelatte, St Agur, Barkham Blue [pure bliss but vaguely(!?) coronary inducing [Eek!] ], Gorgonzola, Roquefort and scores of others.

So what is this generic blue cheese and what does it taste like?

[ 04. September 2008, 13:33: Message edited by: Wiff Waff ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plain old domestic blue is a lot like Danish blue -- sharpish and kind of earthy. But you're right not nearly as interesting as Stilton or some of the other English/French blues. Roquefort has always been sweet to my palate. In the states we have "Maytag Blue" which supposedly has the same kind of beasties as Roquefort, although it's not so sweet. But it's by far the best of the American-produced blues. And the priciest.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qupe
Shipmate
# 12388

- Posted      Profile for Qupe   Email Qupe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not allowed to eat cheese [Frown] and this has nothing much to do with Wiff Waff's question but I shall never forget the stench of Stinking Bishop.

--------------------
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Posts: 802 | From: Down the road from the chocolate factory | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
I seem to remember asking on here about kohlrabi last time I had some in the veg box, but if I did, I can't find it now.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for simple things to do with it? I once tried a kohlrabi gratin but as that involves slicing it with a food processor or mandolin that's way too much faff with the K-Glet around!

I occasionally grow them in the garden, and like to pick them young and tender, peel them, and crunch on them raw, like an apple. They make a lovely coleslaw type salad grated with carrots, and mixed with your favourite dressing - but you would probably find that too much of a faff at the moment.

--------------------

philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lots of high quality minced beef steak in my freezer (lucky me!)

But I also have a cholesterol issue according to my doc, only slight issue not very bad.

So tonight I came across an Australian recipe where you dice lots of fresh veg (sweet red pepper is good, which I had; I also diced mild Spanish onion, garlic and, yes, some very tired carrot. Next time I'd like some spinach. I added lots of dried thyme. Could have been cumin seed or coriander perhaps. Coat the lot in a minimum of olive oil and roast until soft and just starting to burn.

Mix with less than half the volume of the minced beef steak. I added a couple of small raw eggs in a vain attempt to bind it all tother. Hand mould into hamburger-pattie sized rounds. Mine were about 30% meat, 70% veg at this point. Good news.

Grill. Till going brown. I ate it rolled into a tortilla wrap. I guess you could add sour cream etc, but that cholesterol test, not good news. Enjoy.

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:

I occasionally grow them in the garden, and like to pick them young and tender, peel them, and crunch on them raw, like an apple. They make a lovely coleslaw type salad grated with carrots, and mixed with your favourite dressing - but you would probably find that too much of a faff at the moment.
In the end we boiled and mashed it with potatoes. With a bit of creme fraiche (can't do accents with K-Glet clamouring at my elbow!) it made a lovely creamy mash. Even the little one liked it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harvest'em small

Slice'em thin

Mix'em with radish, small turnip, celery, carrot, anything crunchy, fresh and raw, sliced thin.

Crudites (can't do the accent)

Way to go!

When you get bored with the above, repeat, but add a mustardy, thick french dressing (sparsely). Yum

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yesterday evening I was surfing a recipe site, the posters being mainly North American, and many recipes called for Blue Cheese - I was sort of intrigued about what they might mean.
[...]

I've only twice in my life ever stepped into an American food supermarket. And they were both in the same week. So obviously I am a mega-expert.

But I did notice that for most things they seemed to have a larger range of foods on offer than you would expect in a British shop of the same size. More kinds of fresh vegetables, many more kinds of meat, and a lot more brands of things in tins and packs. I noticed three apparent exceptions. One was wine and beer - which wasn't a surprise, its what I'd have expected. Another was mushrooms, which seemed to come in two sorts, big and little. Even much smaller supermarkets here would have anything from four to ten varieties. But the thing that surprised me was the cheese or rather the lack of it. There was much less cheese than you would see here, and many fewer varieties of it. And nearly all of them were more or less what we'd call mild cheddar. It seems that Texas just isn't cheese-eating country

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
But the thing that surprised me was the cheese or rather the lack of it. There was much less cheese than you would see here, and many fewer varieties of it. And nearly all of them were more or less what we'd call mild cheddar. It seems that Texas just isn't cheese-eating country

Sounds like a Texas thing. Here in the greater Chicago suburbs the grocery stores have a good variety of cheeses - but the tricky thing is that it is usually split up into two sections. The first, often near the produce, is the "gourmet" cheeses, where I usually shop. Then over by the dairy case are found the cheaper cheeses, often pasteurized processed, pre-shredded, etc. But even there I'm used to seeing cheddar(-ish), mozzarella, and often a couple blends of pre-shredded like "Italian" and "Mexican".

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a major US supermarket chain that will let you look at its online shopping/home delivery webpages without registering an account?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can browse peapod.com (parts of the East coast and N. Ilinois/SE Wisconsin) without registering, but IIRC you do have to give it a zip code. 60067 will give you the offerings of the Jewel-Osco stores in the Palatine, IL area.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zealot en vacance
Shipmate
# 9795

- Posted      Profile for Zealot en vacance   Email Zealot en vacance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philip99a:
.. Could have been cumin seed or coriander perhaps. ..

Or grate a goodly portion of fresh ginger into the beef and vegetable mix. Wonderful flavour which will blend well with the peppers, onion, garlic, carrot content, and reputedly good for all ailments of the blood.

--------------------
He said, "Love one another".

Posts: 2014 | From: Surface of planet Earth | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone here recommend me a good modern cookbook for Southern California?

I enjoy cooking and the ingredients here are to die for. My mother's family swears by Fannie Farmer, and I have ordered a copy of the latest edition, and have Good Homes cookbook - these are both quite oldfashioned, and although I haven't seen the new FF yet, I suspect it is like the older ones in relying on quite generic ingredients.

In the UK I like Delia Smith and Nigel Slater - both into fresh, seasonal ingredients; Delia makes traditional recipes, often with a twist, and has quite detailed instructions, while Nigel has more minimal instructions. Both tend to few, fresh ingredients.

I've browsed a few "modern" cookbooks here and so far have concluded that Rachael Ray has FAR too many ingredients per recipe (including ones that may be available online but certainly aren't in local - even upscale - supermarkets).

I'm specifying the region because that's where I am so different things will be in season at different times elsewhere in the country, but hopefully you get the idea!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, I was wandering round the supermarket wondering what to cook after a long day at the typewriter. I was feeling a bit poor and sorry for myself so picked up chicken thighs rather than the pork chops I almost got. Once I'd got them home, I realised that I didn't know what to do with them. I'd used them in casseroles and for a 'normal' roast but I didn't really fancy either.

In the end, I squeezed lots of garlic puree (still can't decide whether it's an abomination or the best thing since tinned pineapple) into a bowl with a couple of teaspoons of Jamaican curry powder (not from any great alleigance to the West Indies; it's simply left over from when I made curry goat), some salt and pepper and smeared it over three thighs, leaving it for an hour or so.

I tossed some bits of potato and carrot and onion in some olive oil and, with the thighs on the top, whacked them into a pre-heated oven (about 200) for 45 minutes, by which time the chicken was done and the veg was swimming in the fat that the chicken had produced. I drained them and put them back in and they were fine fifteen minutes later.

I also simmered some double cream with some blue cheese and a bit of cheddar, to make it all less rich.

It was all really rather nice but two questions, if you don't mind:

i) I'd rather hoped the marinade would soak through to the chicken flesh but it didn't; it simply made the skin scrummy. To make it do so, should I just put some underneath the skin?

ii) Would it have made more sense to let the vegetables roast without the chicken for fifteen minutes or was taking the meat out a bit before the end to stand the best thing?

Thanks,

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
quote:
But the thing that surprised me was the cheese or rather the lack of it. There was much less cheese than you would see here, and many fewer varieties of it. And nearly all of them were more or less what we'd call mild cheddar. It seems that Texas just isn't cheese-eating country

Sounds like a Texas thing. Here in the greater Chicago suburbs the grocery stores have a good variety of cheeses - but the tricky thing is that it is usually split up into two sections. The first, often near the produce, is the "gourmet" cheeses, where I usually shop. Then over by the dairy case are found the cheaper cheeses, often pasteurized processed, pre-shredded, etc. But even there I'm used to seeing cheddar(-ish), mozzarella, and often a couple blends of pre-shredded like "Italian" and "Mexican".
I found something similar when I was in the US (random bits of California mainly I think that time). There was a *lot* of processed cheese/ stringy cheese/ cheesy things/ grated cheese but I couldn't find any *real* cheese, and certainly nothing beyond mild cheddar or mozzarella.

There was also an awful lot more of "ready meals" and processed stuff in general - but I sadly think we're beginning to catch up with that.

Lots of lovely local produce though [Smile]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite cole slaw, mandatory for pulled pork sandwiches:
Place in a large bowl:
1 small head of cabbage shredded
1 large onion, peeled and sliced or chopped

In a saucepan place: 1 cup white sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Bring this to a full boil, stirring once so all the sugar melts. Pour the boiling mixture over the cabbage and onion. Chill. This keeps for quite a while in the refrigerator, many people thinking it is better after a day or two. It is also great for picnics and other places where it will be unrefrigerated for a while.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I found something similar when I was in the US (random bits of California mainly I think that time). There was a *lot* of processed cheese/ stringy cheese/ cheesy things/ grated cheese but I couldn't find any *real* cheese, and certainly nothing beyond mild cheddar or mozzarella.

American bulk cheese for many people tends to be a choice between orange (mild cheddar) and white (Monterrey Jack). You also find mozzarella for pizza, plus mixtures, pre-shredded cheese, etc.

Then, of course, you have the abomination called "American Cheese", a manufactured cheese food product with an appearance and texture that suggests processing diary effluent through a petrochemical plant. This is what you usually get in cheeseburgers unless you ask for something else.

That is what is available in quantity at low prices, the sort of things that families can afford.

Beyond that some stores will have a deli section where you might find other types sliced to order: probably the most common type will be Swiss, though you might also find some Gouda or Muenster.

Upscale stores may have a gourmet cheese section with small rounds or blocks (200 to 500g perhaps) of more exotic varieties, either domestic or imported.

While there are some speciality cheesemakers that are very good (Tillamook smokey Cheddar is one of my favourites) the overall cheese knowledge of the population in general appears to be low. Anything with holes must be Swiss cheese, even if it is marked Jarlsberg. So I wasn't as surprised as I might have been to see a sign in one supermarket advertising "Imported French Swiss" cheese. (If it had been domestic French Swiss I could have scored a triple oxymoron.)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[...]

I've only twice in my life ever stepped into an American food supermarket. And they were both in the same week. So obviously I am a mega-expert.

But I did notice that for most things they seemed to have a larger range of foods on offer than you would expect in a British shop of the same size. More kinds of fresh vegetables, many more kinds of meat, and a lot more brands of things in tins and packs. I noticed three apparent exceptions. One was wine and beer - which wasn't a surprise, its what I'd have expected. Another was mushrooms, which seemed to come in two sorts, big and little. Even much smaller supermarkets here would have anything from four to ten varieties. But the thing that surprised me was the cheese or rather the lack of it. There was much less cheese than you would see here, and many fewer varieties of it. And nearly all of them were more or less what we'd call mild cheddar. It seems that Texas just isn't cheese-eating country

You obviously didn't walk into a Trader Joe's (which hasn't hit Texas- yet.) English markets probably still have a better selection of cheese, but TJ's is pretty good for the US. It's also pretty good for microbrews.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have a recipe for making "high fiber" white bread in a bread machine? I mean the kind of bread that's sold here (and I assume other places) under the trade name "Smart Bread" -- taste and texture of white bread, but as high fibre as whole wheat. Seems like they must be hexing it to do that, but I assume there's some secret ingredient and, assuming the secret ingredient doesn't cause blindness or leprosy, I'd like to get it, and a recipe, so I could make that kind of bread at home.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a recipe, but you could add one of the clear fibre supplements - they dissolve in water and can't be seen or tasted. I'm not sure of US brands, but there is a Metamucil clear here and also Benefibre. They are made of xantham or guar gum (or something from wheat...) and you can add them to any food. I think I'd dissolve it in the water before adding it to the machine.

Guar and xantham are also useful for gluten free cooking - they act sort of like gluten, so you can use them with GF-flour to make it stronger for gingerbread and pasta.

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Does anyone have a recipe for making "high fiber" white bread in a bread machine?

I don't make bread in my bread maker, I only make dough. I much prefer cooking my bread in the oven.

My normal bread mix is 4 cups of white flour, 1 sachet (about 7g) of dried yeast, 4g of salt, 2 Tsp of dried milk, 25g of butter or oil and enough warm water to turn those ingredients into a dough ball.

To make it higher in fibre I will often replace 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of rolled oats. Or I will substitute 2 cups of wholemeal flour for 2 cups of white flour.

Another tasty change that adds some fibre is to add about 3/4 of a cup of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame) to the recipe.

I have heard that when you use wholemeal flour instead of strong while flour that you need to increase the water content of the recipe slightly. As I don't measure out my water in the first place I have no idea as to how much extra water might be needed.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help! What I want is very basic - times and temperatures for a very slow roast lamb joint of four to six pounds, either (a) leg or (b) boned rolled shoulder.

Frills to a minimum please - I'm a geriatric L

[who can't spell geriatic - oh, yes I cna!]

[ 18. September 2008, 10:17: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pimple:

The notes on roasting here may be helpful.

Please do allow the appropriate time as indicated for the roast to rest (covered with foil) in a warm place. Resting makes a very great difference to the juiciness of the meat.

Even a steak from the grill (broiler) will be better if it is allowed to rest (covered) for a few minutes in a warm place.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's on a board here somewhere, but I can't find it.

FD, Rowen and other Sick Dissenters' chaplains are off at a retreat this weekend and have discovered a British food shop which sells haggis as well as greater delectables such as Cumberland sausages and lesser delectables such as Daddy's sauce.

I may be cooking haggis tomorrow night and could do with some hints on cooking it (I can manage the whisky cream sauce and the tatties and neeps though).

Can anyone help?

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick google turned up this page on how to cook the chieftain of the pudding race. No personal experience though, I'm fussy I like to know a Scot cooked my haggis and I'm not a Scot.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
quote:

I am sure you have a better cheese and mushroom selection than we have here in Texas but I should point out that our local grocery has more than just cheddar. Besides what is listed they also stock brie, jarlsberg, and imported cheddar. I have also seen them carry at least 5 different mushrooms varieties. They also have a decent wine and beer selection.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Quick google turned up this page on how to cook the chieftain of the pudding race. No personal experience though, I'm fussy I like to know a Scot cooked my haggis and I'm not a Scot.

Jengie

Thanks Jengie - page bookmarked. Fortunately for me the haggis cooking experiment is postponed: FD decided not to bring home lots of British delights, so we can go back to the original idea for dinner, which involves yummy things like beetroot and goat cheese from the farmers' markets this morning (Much more to my liking [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016