homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
climbgirl
Shipmate
# 5855

- Posted      Profile for climbgirl   Author's homepage   Email climbgirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
A veggie friend is expecting baby no. 2 shortly and I'd like to take them round some food for when there's no time to think, let alone cook.

Does anyone have any suggestions for simple, one-pot veggie meals that are easy to freeze and reheat? I've got a good minestrone recipe but would like to do something else as well. Thanks!

lasagna, stuffed shells, eggplant parmigiana are all good and freeze wonderfully. i also have a recipe for a great zucchini stew (which can be considered vegan) but i've never tried freezing it as it's got potatoes in it

--------------------
nj

Posts: 206 | From: Seattle | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do a parsnip and cashew nut loaf that works and a moong bean biryani. Other than that, lots of variations on soups - Black Nero / Cavolo Nero soup is good and freezes well.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back a few months we were discussing mushy peas, a very British thing - this conversation may have been in the Little Britain thread in AS.

Today HWMBO made some to go with lunch and as an experiment we added, apart from the garlic and a few young curry leaves he had already put in before I got home, a generous dollop of butter and some fresh black pepper.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help needed. The gas bottle which supplies my hob has run out but I'm replacing it with a fully electric oven and hob in two weeks time. Consquently I'm unwilling to fill it up for such a short space of time. So I've got an electric oven and grill, rice cooker and steamer and I suppose at a pinch I can use the barbecue. I can pretty much get by cooking for my kids (wife's away on a teacher training course from Monday to Friday each week) by braising, roasting, grilling and microwaving stuff (although I hate microwaves), but the big deficit as far as the children will be concerned is the lack of pasta dishes. Any ideas on doing pasta without a hob, or indeed any other recipes without a hob welcome.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well do you have a kettle?

Then get yourself a pasta express

So its sauces that you need. What you can do because I have done it is use pasta sauces as a casserole sauce. So for instance, put meat balls in a small casserole dish, pour over pasta sauce and heat for something like twenty minutes. Actually if you don't want to do a shop sauce then how about a cut down version of this delicious sounding sauce.

Or you could oven roast vegetables in the oven for half an hour with sausage bits, pour off the fat, tip over a jar of tomatoe puree and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.

Jengie

p.s. most shop sauces can be microwaved if necessary.

[ 03. November 2008, 11:51: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually having done some thinking a thermos with a broad mouth would do as well. Put in pasta, fill up to the brim with boiling water, seal and leave for ten minutes shaking occasionally.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

My brain is working slow today. Another is to do the classic student dish; tuna and sweetcorn pasta. Cook pasta as above. While cooking empty one tin of tuna, one tin of sweetcorn and three table spoonfuls of mayonnaise into a bowl (or one of tomato concentrate and two of mayonnaise). Mix well together. When Pasta is cooked empty drain off water and join pasta with the rest. Stir. Serve with a salad

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could one not place pasta in a bowl of boiling water in the microwave?

(Mind you, I ask as someone whose father thinks one makes garlic mushrooms by putting some tinned mushrooms in a microwave with a spoonful of butter and a chopped garlic clove.)

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Problem is like rice, what you have to do is achieve a constant hot temperature while the pasta absorbs the water and cooks the flour. It can be done; One of these would do it, but you'd need to stir regularly and there is little or no time saving.

If I was doing it, I would half fill the inner container with pasta, pour over boiling water so it covers the pasta, and put it on to microwave at top heat for the time given on the packet for the hob. No guarantee it will work but worth a go.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
(although I hate microwaves)

Their particular utility in your present hoblessness would be their vegetable-cooking ability.

I always microwave potato, either to produce Baked Potato, or Mash (one minute before finish of cooking time, drain off the couple of spoonful of water from the potatoes and add dash of milk and some butter, replace clingfilm, finish cooking) or Roasties/oven chips (halve or dice or chunky chip potatoes, mw until done, tip into shallow tray of oil which has been heating in the oven, cook till brown) or if you want a healthier version - microwave potatoes whole, halve or quarter, drizzle with oil (and any seasonings you fancy) brown under grill.

For casseroles, I'm told you can skip browning the meat - but softening the onions is a must. One to two minutes in the microwave.

[ 03. November 2008, 13:31: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jengie, Firenze and Thurible. I was once given a device for cooking spaghetti in boiling water in a large cylinder with a lid. The trouble was that the pasta tasted starchy and almost chalky afterwards. I suppose I'll have to live with that.

The electric steamer will do for most veg, including potatoes. My embarrassment with microwaves is ridiculous. I only ever use it for warming milk, heating baked beans and cooking frozen peas. The steamer will take care of most veg though, including potatoes and I love my baked potatoes oven roasted. Thanks for the tip, Firenze on softening onions in the microwave.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Chalky-starchy taste in pasta, almost certainly undercooking, try instead of one lot of boiling water in the time, using two, it may work.

Actually having done some googling, I think a better solution if having a hot sauce, is to cook the pasta as it says on the jar, drain, mix in with veg and sauce, with possibly a couple of extra spoonfuls of water and grated cheese on top. Then pop into the oven for a further ten minutes so you get a cheese crust and finish off cooking the pasta.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite ways to do a pasta sauce is to pile up the veg, (Tomatoes, onions, garlic, plus whatever extras you want), and then stick it all on a baking tray till it goes black round the edges, and then put it all in a bowl and mash. (microwave if it cools)

You already have the pasta itself sorted - so you are ready to go.

Yummy.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief's Famous Quick Vegan Corn Chowder

2-3 medium potatoes red or white
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 medium onion
oil for frying
1 can (14 oz=396g) vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 lb (ca 1 kg) package frozen corn
1 can (13.5 fl oz=400ml) coconut milk
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 pinches of powdered mustard

salt and pepper

1. Dice potatoes to 1/4" (ca. 7mm) and boil in water with 1 tsp salt. Watch closely – they will cook very quickly! Don’t let them get mushy. Drain and set aside.
2. Chop onion to bits and fry in oil in the bottom of a kettle until soft.
3. Add vegetable broth, water, and corn. Bring to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk and pinches, and return to boil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Adjust salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Serves about 6 as a meal; 8 or more with a meal.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
Thanks for the tip, Firenze on softening onions in the microwave.

I should have added - no water with the (chopped) onions, just a brief dizzle of oil.

I can see how you would not use a microwave much if you habitually steam. They are equivalent, both being methods of moist cooking. The extra facility with mw, is that you can do the wet saute. I always do my cabbage, shredded and buttered and mwaved, for example.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I'm guessing that "kettle" here means big pan, as in "kettle of fish" and not a thing to boil water for a cup of tea, whether electric or stove-top...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm guessing that "kettle" here means big pan, as in "kettle of fish" and not a thing to boil water for a cup of tea, whether electric or stove-top...
Yes, sorry. Stock pot, if you like. Something large enough to make a gallon (or so) of chowder in. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, sorry. Stock pot, if you like. Something large enough to make a gallon (or so) of chowder in. [Hot and Hormonal]
No worries - just wanting to make sure!

--------------------
Nea Fox

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beef stock help, please!

Last week, Jamie Oliver told me (when I was reading his second cookbook rather than on the telephone, you understand) how to make beef stock. I faithfully retained this 'recipe' - until tonight when I was trying to remember. It didn't include bones and the ones online seem to. I've got some beef that can go towards stock rather than a joint. What do I do with it?

Thanks!

Thurible

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that I can see in The Return of the Naked Chef, which is Jamie Oliver's second book. Recipes for chicken, fish and vegetable stocks, pretty much as I'd expect, that is using bones as a base for the chicken and fish, but no beef.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Oh. Thanks for looking - I could've sworn it was his second one and that there was a recipe in it for beef stock but I'm obviously misremembering. How odd.

Thurible

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I found this recipe which looks as if it does not require bones.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

I've made a big pot of tomato and lentil sauce which I'm hoping to use for both a shepherdess pie as Jengie suggested and a pasta sauce. Can I freeze them with potato and pasta or do I need to just freeze the sauce and add the other bits later?

--------------------
Nea Fox

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Having googled, it looks as if putting mashed potato on top before freezing is fine provided that you mash without milk (so using butter or such). I think that is because the freezing tends to make the potato more slushy and therefore if you do it with milk it comes out too runny.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got the easiest recipe for Pico De Gallo, if anyone is interested. My girlfriend and I go through a large vat of the stuff in two days and it beats store bought salsa.

Chop up two or three onions (purple onions are tasty and pretty but are sort of expensive lately and not in plentiful supply so I use just yellow onions), chop up some green, yellow, red, and orange bell peppers and add them to the onions. Chop up some hot peppers of your choosing: we've used fresh banana peppers, canned banana peppers and fresh Jalapeno and Serrano peppers. Use one or two hot peppers depending upon your tastes and asbestos-lined stomach! Chop up some Cilantro. Chop some fresh Roma tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. Actually, even canned diced tomatoes will do in a pinch. Throw in a pinch of kosher or sea salt. Add a little bit of lime and/or lemon juice and refrigerate the whole thing for about an hour. Pile it high on tortilla chips or eat with other foods like grilled fish or baked chicken! YUM!

Ever since I found out I had Type 2 Diabetes, I'd been looking for a delicious salsa that didn't have too much sugar. Most of the stuff that comes in a jar is nasty. My g/friend made me some of her Pico De Gallo and I liked it but it didn't have as many onions in it as I liked. So, one day I made it myself and have been perfecting my new dish each time. It's a LOT of chopping, which can be bad if you have back problems as I do. It's worth it, however! I also plan on adding some fresh peeled and chopped peaches and/or watermelon to give it a sweet little taste along with the fire.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

(Mind you, I ask as someone whose father thinks one makes garlic mushrooms by putting some tinned mushrooms in a microwave with a spoonful of butter and a chopped garlic clove.)

Thurible

I have cooked pasta and rice in the microwave oven with just a few adjustments. Mainly, I throw the pasta in a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with water. I then boil the pasta for about eight minutes, watching carefully to make sure the water doesn't boil over and out of the bowl. It's really quite easy. You just have to periodically stop the microwave timer, open the door and give the pasta a stir. It might even be less than eight minutes. We have a super-duper high wattage microwave oven so it takes much less than eight minutes.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I found this recipe which looks as if it does not require bones.

These are bones:
quote:
# 2 lb meaty beef shanks, sawed crosswise into 1-inch slices by butcher
# 2 lb meaty veal shanks, sawed crosswise into 1-inch slices by butcher

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:
quote:

Thurible

I have cooked pasta and rice in the microwave oven with just a few adjustments. Mainly, I throw the pasta in a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with water. I then boil the pasta for about eight minutes, watching carefully to make sure the water doesn't boil over and out of the bowl. It's really quite easy. You just have to periodically stop the microwave timer, open the door and give the pasta a stir. It might even be less than eight minutes. We have a super-duper high wattage microwave oven so it takes much less than eight minutes.
Oh, yeah, do NOT cover the microwave pot with the lid, of course. That's a recipe for a big mess in your microwave oven! And as for rice, depending on what kind it is, I just boil and boil and boil it instead of simmering it which you couldn't really do with a microwave oven. I usually let it come to the first boil and then set the timer for another long boil. I watch it carefully to make sure it isn't going to boil over and then boil it some more! Then, I cover the bowl and let it sit in the microwave for twice the amount of time I would if I had cooked it on the stove. Yep, a pain in the ass but it can be done.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In UK I used to cook rice in a microwave all the time.

Wash rice, put in glass casserole with measured amount of water, put in microwave on highest setting for a few minutes, when it boils turn it down to lowest setting and leave for 10 minutes or so then let it finish off on its own after that time - I usually let it stand for at least another 5 minutes. Perfect rice every time.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Paddy O'Furniture regarding cooking pasta in the microwave - it works fine in my experience. For rice, I'm a disciple of the Blessed Delia.

The beauty of this recipe is that because the rice drinks up all the liquid, you don't have to faff about draining it.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Spawn say he has a rice-cooker?

That's a wonderful appliance that can be used to cook a lot more than rice.

I cook oatmeal in mine just about every morning. It's great for cooking barley, lentils, even buckwheat groats (kasha) although the water has to come to a boil before you add them to the cooker.

I haven't tried quinoa or millet, but I bet they would work fine.

Oh, and any kind of rice, including wild rice.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Ferdzy:
Didn't Spawn say he has a rice-cooker?

That's a wonderful appliance that can be used to cook a lot more than rice.

I cook oatmeal in mine just about every morning. It's great for cooking barley, lentils, even buckwheat groats (kasha) although the water has to come to a boil before you add them to the cooker.

I haven't tried quinoa or millet, but I bet they would work fine.

Oh, and any kind of rice, including wild rice.

Somewhere, in one of these cabinets or an unpacked moving box, we have a combination rice cooker/vegetable steamer made by Black & Decker. It cost me all of $25 a few years ago. We have yet to use it but the time will come for it as well.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Thanks for earlier input. To continue on the stock theme, I have 300g of bacon bits - mostly fat, but a fair bit of meat on there that was simply too fiddly to bother cutting off. If I stick it in a saucepan with some veg, will anything good come of it or should I just throw it away?

Thurible

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You can use bacon like that to flavour things like pease pudding or traditional Boston baked beans. I am not going to post my recipe for Boston baked beans on here, because I'm sure there are far more authentic ones in the recipe collections of those across the Pond.

Or you can chop it up, fat and all, and fry off to produce fat instead of pancetta in those sorts of recipes.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for earlier input. To continue on the stock theme, I have 300g of bacon bits - mostly fat, but a fair bit of meat on there that was simply too fiddly to bother cutting off. If I stick it in a saucepan with some veg, will anything good come of it or should I just throw it away?

Thurible

You could boil the bits to make a stock, let it cool then skim off the fat. This is what I do for making bacon hock or chicken soup. That way you retain some ofthe flavour but not the fatty taste. Otherwise fry in it's own fat, then drain on a paper towel - which leaves more fat, but there is less loss of flavour.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to find a good recipe for snickerdoodle cookies. I have one from my sister-in-law which calls for shortening and cream of tartar. Which gives me two questions.

1) What is shortening?? It's not a word I heard in the UK...

2) What function does the cream of tartar have in the recipe? Is it essential?

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
I'm trying to find a good recipe for snickerdoodle cookies. I have one from my sister-in-law which calls for shortening and cream of tartar. Which gives me two questions.

1) What is shortening?? It's not a word I heard in the UK...

2) What function does the cream of tartar have in the recipe? Is it essential?

Thanks [Smile]

Shortening is solid white vegetable fat used in cooking.

Cream of tartar is acid. It is a mistake to leave it out of a recipe which calls for it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this one from Nigella Lawson.

Good luck. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was reading a story the other day that mentioned rice pudding with ginger sugar. I mentioned it to Mrs E as an idea and today she has produced payasam, which is a sort of posh rice pudding with sultanas and cashew nuts and things, with some ginger in it as well.

MMMMMMMMM!!!

Whatever sort of rice pudding you make try adding a little ginger, I think you'll be glad you did.

--------------------

PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Moo and Piglet!

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Quick n Dirty Vegan Borsch

1 c. chopped onion (roughly one smallish medium onion)
2 tbsp (10 ml) oil for frying
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 14 oz can sauerkraut
1 14 oz can diced beets
1 14 oz can vegetable broth
14 oz water
prepared horseradish glop (vegan)

Fry onions in oil until softish. Add onions and fry until they absorb all the oil. Add everything else. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the mushrooms are cooked. Serve with a dollop of horseradish.

Yields 8 1 cup servings, 72 calories per serving.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT - I think you added the onions twice, but that's OK. You can't ever have too many onions in a concoction like that [Smile]

Horseradish anecdote: In the Eastern Market, in York PA, one of the Plain People's stalls has a big bowl of freshly grated horseradish-root set on their counter, with an electric fan right behind it. As the customers squeeze through the aisle, they are 'washed' with the fumes of the horseradish, and continue on, wiping their noses, and mopping their eyes.

Regular shoppers know about it, but newbies get caught off-guard. Its amusing.

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone - and I'm looking particularly at Wiff Waff here though others welcome to reply as well - got a good recipe for a South Indian fish curry?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish...I don't care for fish, but I have had chicken salad with curry in it....NICE....

And coffee is good with chocolate sauce in it, like you would use for chocolate milk...

I'm mainly a social drinker, otherwise I would make my coffee with the chocolate liquer (however the hell you spell that) and amaretto in the cabinet...

Perfect mudslide...chocolate liquor, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, Bailey's Irish Creme, Kahlua, and if you want, vodka...about an ounce of the alcohol each...

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Beef stock help, please! [....] I've got some beef that can go towards stock rather than a joint. What do I do with it?

Don't throw it out! Bones are *essential* to making a rich, flavorful stock.

Here's a good recipe for beef stock

However, some caveats:

For a clearer stock, do not boil! You want a low simmer: A bubble or two breaking the surface about every minute. Boiling will cloud the stock.

Don't worry about chopping the veg: Just break the carrots and celery with your hands and quarter the onions with their skins still on. (But make sure you trim off the dirty root end of the onion. Discard the celery leaves as they will make the stock taste bitter.)

Roast the veg in a separate pan from the bones. If you crowd the bones, they will steam instead of roast.

When roasting the veg, brush them with olive oil before roasting and, again, don't overcrowd the pan.

The initial 4 hour cook time for the stock should be closer to 6-8 hours, but make sure you keep an eye on the stock, tasting frequently.

Discard the bones and all solids. If you plan tomake sauces, strain the stock by filtering it through cheesecloth or paper coffee filters.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
KenWritez, I just want to say that it is great to see you posting on the Recipe Thread again. (I still have that recipe for Lemonade Pie that you posted long ago.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
MT - I think you added the onions twice, but that's OK. You can't ever have too many onions in a concoction like that [Smile]

You're right! I meant mushrooms the 2nd time.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

South Indian Fish Curry with gravy

This is one of an almost infinite number of ways of doing it. This one uses cleaned filleted fish pieces.

Ingredients

- Fish pieces; small cubes or slices [not too thin]
- Tamarind paste
- Chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Curry leaves [if available]
- Crushed cleaned ginger
- Crushed shallots
- 1 or 2 green chillies sliced
- Salt
- Coconut oil - or other veg oil but coconut oil gives a better taste.

Heat oil in a pan.

1. When hot add curry leaves, crushed ginger, shallots and green chilli.

2. When the colour changes add chilli powder, turmeric powder, tamarind paste and salt to taste.

3. Fry for one minute.

4. Add one cup water.

5. When water boiling add fish pieces.

6. When the gravy is thick it is cooked - this will take about 10 minutes.

7. Taste and adjust seasoning.

I haven’t given quantities as all these things vary in strength so much.

You can vary this by using coconut milk instead of water or by adding coconut paste or adding a squeeze of lemon juice towards the end or lots of other possibilities.

Serve with rice - preferably Kerala Red Rice, although this is often not available.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wiff Waff - thank you.

That sounds yum. Do you think it would work with mackerel or would white fish be better.

I shall go on a hunt for tamarind paste - I love the taste of tamarind but have never cooked with it so that'll be an adventure. Would it be awful without it - could I use lime or something instead?

I have some dried curry leaves - will they be OK or do I need to go and find some fresh ones. (I'm in London so can find everything - just if I don't have to traipse down to Whitechapel/Brick Lane I'd rather not)

I love coconut milk so will definitely be using that instead of water.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The recipes I've got say substitute tamarind paste with lemon juice, but if I can buy tamarind paste out here (and have some in the fridge) you can where you are, Yangtze.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016