homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's worth checking in the supermarket even for tamarind paste. I notice Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Morrison's all had sections of ingredients by ethnic origin.

I have a jar of tamarind paste in the cupboard which I obviously came by so easily that I can't even remember where I got it (but knowing my usual round, supermarket is quite likely).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Asian grocers will have tamarind paste and if you are anywhere near Euston you can certainly find it on Drummond Street. I can't think there'll be many areas of London where it will be hard to find. Dried curry leaves are fine BUT you will need to use more of them to the flavour - if you can find fresh then that will be better. You could use lemon or lime juice in place of the tamarind but you'd be missing out if you did.

You could use the recipe for firm white fish or for something like mackerel - we sometimes eat Seer Fish, which is of the mackerel family and it goes very well in this dish.

Kerala red rice will be available on Drummond Street as well [and probably loads of other places like out in Ealing and that area where there are numbers of Malayalees living] - it is a fatter, bigger rice than usual but it is not to be confused with Sri Lankan Red Rice which I think is pretty disgusting. Note that it takes longer to cook, not quite as long as brown rice but longer than white rice - you may find it to be an acquired taste but I reckon it is worth acquiring. Here families argue over which particular brand to buy as they all taste a little different - if Nirapara Long Grain or Pavizham are available I reckon you're in for a treat.

Now I'm hungry again!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can come by tamarind paste pretty easily in our bit of London. I have some but have rarely used it.

Also usually fresh curry leaves. I went throgu a phase of putting some in every time I cooked rice.

There aren't actually that many Asians living round us but for some reason most of the local shops are run by Tamils so you can pick up lots of South Indian or Sri Lankan food.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just being lazy*. I'd rather see if I can find something close to home (I work from home) than go anywhere else. My neighbourhood is mainly Turkish / Caribbean / African with regard to local shops though there is one Vietnamese/Chinese one.

However I know one of the local corner shops does various dals and Indian dry goods - I'll have a look and see if they do tamarind.

And I'm not so far from Drummond St tomorrow and I hadn't thought about there - so that's a good tip.

*V lazy - Brick Lane is a 20 minute bus ride away and Whitechapel not much farther!

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very lazy! The 21 bus stops just outside these shops here that sell all that stuff. In fact the bus-stop is in the picture. You'd be on the bus for about an hour though...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Very lazy! The 21 bus stops just outside these shops here that sell all that stuff.

Sigh. There is the occasional moment when I wish I lived in London. Or anywhere a bit more cosmopolitan than here...

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Not double posting - that's Rat above me, my avatar twin]

So...I took a detour home via Drummond Street (great tip that) and picked up coconut oil, tamarind paste and fresh curry leaves*.

I went for a bit of a test run without the fish - it came out tangy and slightly bitter, (is it supposed to be bitter? I think I may have burned the spices) but very moreish.

Now....next question... do you have a handy recipe for a south Indian fish or vegetable stewlike curry that definitely contains coconut milk and comes out quite pale yellow (which I guess means no tamarind) - I've had something like that once and now I've got the taste for south Indian curries I'm after more!!!

* I discovered that what I had thought were dried curry leaves were in fact methi.

[Deleted duplicate post. Yes, a real one. I double-checked. Mamacita, Host]

[ 21. November 2008, 02:57: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

... Brick Lane is a 20 minute bus ride away ...

Lucky old you - is the Bagel Bake still there? We used to take a detour through half of London (usually on the way from the airport) just to get their bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon for about 75p. **sigh**

[Smile]

[ 22. November 2008, 23:05: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...I went for a bit of a test run without the fish - it came out tangy and slightly bitter, (is it supposed to be bitter? I think I may have burned the spices) but very moreish.

Yes, I think burnt spices may well be the reason for the bitterness. You may also have used a little too much tamarind.

I can give a couple of fab recipes for bitter gourd dishes which are intentionally bitter and are quite delicious.

quote:
...Now....next question... do you have a handy recipe for a south Indian fish or vegetable stewlike curry that definitely contains coconut milk and comes out quite pale yellow (which I guess means no tamarind) - I've had something like that once and now I've got the taste for south Indian curries I'm after more!!!

I hope to post this later today if I can persuade HWMBO to concentrate for a few minutes; he seems to know what you mean. We've had a guest for a few days so life has been a tad busy. He has just brought me a glass of sweet lassi made with our own home made yogurt so I have asked him again.

No, I am NOT spoilt, just properly appreciated [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Okay, here we go - I have some photos somewhere but have mislaid them - I shall add them later when I have uploaded them to my Flickr page.

This is another simple recipe, but delicious - I had it for lunch today and ate so much I probably won’t need supper tonight. It is quite similar to the previous recipe but without the tamarind.

Kerala Fish Curry 2

Ingredients

Fish pieces or whole small fish, cleaned.

Coconut paste or coconut milk or coconut cream or coconut milk powder mixed with water

Curry leaves

2 green chillies, sliced

Crushed fresh ginger

Crushed shallots or chopped onion

Chilli powder

Turmeric powder

Salt to taste

Coconut oil

Method

Stew type curries taste better if cooked in terracotta pots but otherwise a heavy pan will do but it won’t taste quite as mellow. I have never tried a terracotta pot on an electric stove but it works well on gas.

Heat pan - add coconut oil - about 2 tbs - allow to heat.

To hot oil add shallots, chillies, ginger and cook a few minutes on medium heat stirring occasionally.

When the shallots are just beginning to go golden colour add the spice powders, cook for a few moments, stirring well then add the coconut milk or coconut paste, etc. - you may need to add a little water as well.

Add some salt, more can be added later if necessary.

Bring to the boil then add fish or fish pieces, return to boiling then simmer.

When the gravy has thickened [probably 10 – 15 minutes] adjust seasoning, take off heat and allow to rest a little before serving with rice.

This can be varied by omitting the chilli powder and possibly adding another one or two sliced green chillies, or even a whole dried red chilli - this will give a sharper taste and a paler colour.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would either of the foregoing recipes work with salmon?

Or if not, what would?

I try and eat salmon since it is Good For You, but frankly find it a bit dismal.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried teriyaki salmon? Cooking it with mirin and finely chopped ginger is also good. I tend to stir-fry it with pak choi (pretentious? moi?) and serve with noodles (and yes I do have wasabi and pickled ginger...)

[ 23. November 2008, 10:09: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried fresh mackeral? I'm sure you have, being the food guru you are - I only ask because it was a relevation to me. Good For You plus pleasantly meaty, not too fishy, and also very cheap. I have a nice recipe we use if anyone's interested.

The only drawback is that - round here at least - I can only ever find whole fresh mackeral so have to fillet it myself for the recipe. Not hard to do, but a bit of a scutter.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

We also sometimes have salmon kebabs - either marinated teriyaki style as Ariel suggests, or with lime juice and olive oil (I can check the actual recipe if anyone wants). Threaded on kebab sticks with onion and red/yellow peppers, brush with the leftover marinade, and grill. Serve with rice or couscous or salad, it disguises the salmoniness of the salmon quite effectively.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Those recipes both work fine with salmon.

Another recipe to try if you have a pestle and mortar or a small grinder is to peel some garlic and blend it with a little vegetable oil [1 tsp], a little chilli and turmeric powder and rub the paste into a salmon steak, leave for ten minutes then grill.

For mackerel my favourite is to wrap it in foil and cook in the embers of a fire - or in a covered pan. The flesh just falls off the bones.

As a variation, if you can get a banana or plantain leaf is to wrap the fish in the leaf and cook slowly in a covered pan. If you want you can make some cuts in the flesh first and add a marinade of your choice - I think the one above would be pretty darned good.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I see mackerel occassionally in the supermarket - but it looks a bit dull - by which I mean it doesn't have that bright-eyed, irredescent look of the freshly-caught beast.

Mostly, when I am buying fish, it is to freeze, rarely to rush home and cook that night - and for some reason I have a resistance to freezing mackerel, particularly if it look a bit tired to begin with.

Talking of skewers, I tried recreating the fish souvlaki experience we had in Crete - but you don't seem to be able, with a domestic grill or even grill pan, to get the aromatic, roasted taste.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Have you tried teriyaki salmon? Cooking it with mirin and finely chopped ginger is also good. I tend to stir-fry it with pak choi (pretentious? moi?) and serve with noodles (and yes I do have wasabi and pickled ginger...)

What's pretentious about pickled ginger and wasabi? [Big Grin]

My pak choi comes in the organic box.

The other thing we've done to salmon is Thai yellow curry - poached in coconut milk and yellow curry spices with onion and potato, personally I find it a bit rich and would prefer to do this with white fish, but at the time I was working on getting oily fish down my daughter.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
I can give a couple of fab recipes for bitter gourd dishes which are intentionally bitter and are quite delicious. [

You say delicious, I say [Projectile]

Actually I first came across karela in its Chinese form and thought it was the most revolting thing, but I have been able to stomach it cooked in various Indian dishes and I suppose I can see how it might become addictive.

Thanks for the other recipe - I'll try it out it looks fab.

The tamarind version got rave reviews on Friday night - though in the end I made it with sea bream as there wasn't any mackerel in the fishmongers.

And I'm v v jealous of you being brought lassi. Appreciated indeed.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
but at the time I was working on getting oily fish down my daughter.

Have you tried a funnel and pusher?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone advise me how long it will take to roast two turkey breasts? Not the big breast joint, just two breast steaks, like chicken breasts but a little bigger.

The only recipes I can find online refer to the breast joint, which takes between 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and I'm guessing that breast steaks won't take that long.

Also, what should the internal temperature be?

Thank you, shipmates!

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
Can anyone advise me how long it will take to roast two turkey breasts? Not the big breast joint, just two breast steaks, like chicken breasts but a little bigger.
...snippety...
Also, what should the internal temperature be?

If you don't squash them tight together in the pan, I'd guesstimate about a half-hour at 350 F. The USDA says 165+ F for target temperature.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just to say the Wiff Waff fish curry recipe worked v. well with salmon.

While still recognisably salmon, it didn't have that bland yet cloying effect it so often has. I used half a green and half a red chili, about half a tsp of tumeric to 2 tsp of tamarind paste - liquid made up with 80:20 coconut milk and water - albeit no coconut oil - and dried curry leaves rather than fresh, but, nevertheless, it was a roaring success, and will go into my library of Stuff To Do Regularly.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used the other fish curry recipe (the one without tamarind) with pollack last night, and that came out well too.

The cheats were no curry leaves, didn't add the extra chilli powder (was feeding Wesley J who I suspect doesn't eat chilli as often as I do) and using a creamed coconut sachet with water to give the effect of oil and coconut milk. (Served with beetroot thoran, tali saag and basmati rice)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to contribute something to a Mexican-themed buffet Xmas party. It has to be easily transportable by car and survive being out of the oven/fridge for an hour or 2 before being eaten. Better still, something I could make several hours or days in advance. Any suggestions?
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps some kind of rice-and-beans dish might work. Nothing comes quickly to mind but I will check my recipe books, and perhaps with Thanksgiving out of the way, the other American cooks will have a chance to add suggestions. In the meantime, WD, are some of the usual Mexican ingredients available in your area (canned refried beans, tortillas and/or tortilla chips, canned chiles, that sort of thing?)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a "curry leaf"? I know "curry" to mean "an amalgam of spices".

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Curry leaves are the leaves of a tree or bush that grows around these parts. We pick them fresh and strip ten or a dozen straight into the hot oil or into a sauce or even into the grinder when making chutney.

There is more on them here.

They are normally available in South Asian grocers either fresh or dried. If using dried you need to use two or three times the quantity that you would fresh so fresh is better if you can get them.

When frying add them to the oil just after the mustard seeds have popped and let them sizzle a moment before adding the other ingredients. They do add to the flavour in the way that you might not notice until they are not there, they sort of round out a flavour delightfully.

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
I would like to contribute something to a Mexican-themed buffet Xmas party. It has to be easily transportable by car and survive being out of the oven/fridge for an hour or 2 before being eaten. Better still, something I could make several hours or days in advance. Any suggestions?

Forget anything hot, then, or with melted cheese.

If you can keep the serving dish on ice, replacing ice as necessary to maintain temperature, a ceviche might work.

Shrimp ceviche

Otherwise, I'd suggest going for either chips and salsa, or a dessert like churros, or a salad sans lettuce, meat and dairy.

Salsa roja This can be made in advance and will profit from a day or two of cold storage to allow flavors to fully meld.

Mango, jicama and cucumber salad

Churros (These can be served at room temp)

Hope this helps!

[ 01. December 2008, 12:57: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I sometimes make a tortilla pie. If you google tortilla pie, there are plenty of mexican-ish versions of it out there.

I make a less spicy version, as it's a buffet contribution that can be made out of whatever's in the fridge. Here's my recipe:

You need:
a packet of flour tortillas,
a can of refried beans,
a vegetable that fries nicely, e.g. courgette or aubergine,
a packet of cream cheese,
a bag of spinach,
grated cheddar,
tomato puree, passata or tomato based sauce

Slice the vegetable appropriately and then fry it. Set the cooked slices aside.

Cook the spinach, chop it, and mix it with the cream cheese. Set this aside.

In an oiled dish place a tortilla. Spread this with half the refried beans.
Add another tortilla, then a layer of the spinach mixture.
Continue to layer tortilla and fillings, including one layer of the fried vegetable, and when the final tortilla is in place, spread this with tomato puree (or passata) and the grated cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes in a hot oven.

The pie can be served warm, or at room temperature. It keeps well in a fridge and can be made ahead. This dish goes down surprisingly well, even with people who don't like my choice of vegetable or even spinach.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a post-Thanksgiving potluck at my house which left me with most of a large bottle of Yellow Tail riesling.

I can't drink it fast enough to keep it from turning. Does anyone have any recipes?

I was thinking of putting some chicken breasts in my slow cooker and adding some riesling. Any ideas on what herbs or other flavoring I should add?

That won't use all the wine, though. All suggestions gratefully received.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just dug up a fabulous recipe for kung pao chicken I clipped from the LA Times 20 years ago, and I plan to make it Saturday night for company. But what can I serve as a side dish? Something I can make ahead of time would be ideal. Would the right kind of cole slaw or cucumber salad work?

Thanks in advance ...

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is going to sound crazy and it's probably better you ignore me but I'm going to sugest tamales . Yes it's a lot of work but you can make them days in advance, freeze them, and then reheat them the day of the party. And they're easy to transport. Plus they're very traditional for Xmas. It's probably not worth the trouble but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Another traditional Xmas food is Buñuelos (follow link). This can also be a lot of work but a shortcut I've seen people take is instead of making them from scratch to use flour tortillas from the store. You could fry them and then douse'em with brown sugar and cinnamon, maybe sprinkle some almonds. Trouble is they can sometimes fall apart easily so maybe they're hard to transport. And messy too. But messy is good. The way the lady makes them in the link is similar to the way my mother makes them.

If you decide to take the pre-made flour tortilla route you could cut them into quarters before frying so that they're easier to pick from the buffet. I'd test this before hand too, in case the results are meh so you have time to do something else. I don't really cook so take my suggestions with a hunk of salt.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There was a post-Thanksgiving potluck at my house which left me with most of a large bottle of Yellow Tail riesling.

I can't drink it fast enough to keep it from turning. Does anyone have any recipes?

I was thinking of putting some chicken breasts in my slow cooker and adding some riesling. Any ideas on what herbs or other flavoring I should add?

That won't use all the wine, though. All suggestions gratefully received.

Tarragon is my usual herb for white wine/chicken. Reduce the sauce if necessary, and stir in a dollop or so of creme fraiche.

You could also use it in a pork casserole - onions, thyme, toss a bit of apple in towards the end.

Syllabub.

That about runs out my stock of Things To Do With Leftover Wine. It's not a situation I encounter a lot.

Eloise
Shipmate
# 4292

- Posted      Profile for Eloise   Email Eloise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I've just dug up a fabulous recipe for kung pao chicken I clipped from the LA Times 20 years ago, and I plan to make it Saturday night for company. But what can I serve as a side dish? Something I can make ahead of time would be ideal. Would the right kind of cole slaw or cucumber salad work?

Thanks in advance ...

I'd make a Chinese-style cucumber salad like this or this, or one in which you fry the cucumber, like this recipe (only without the sichuan pepper and with sesame seeds instead of peanuts because you've got those in the chicken).
Posts: 419 | From: Bay Area, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! Many thanks for the Mexican recipes!
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Eloise! The first one looks like exactly what I had in mind and couldn't think of.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to make a chestnut cheesecake for a fancy pre-Christmas pudding. My Mum gave me her recipe but it's got gelatine in it - one of my recipe deal-breakers! Does anybody have a recipe that they'd recommend? Alternatively, can anyone translate this Nigella recipe into UK recipe speak? I don't know why it's in American if it's Nigella... Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have a bash:

4 oz digestive biscuit crumbs
2 oz butter
1 heaped tbsp chestnut puree

16 oz cream cheese
6 oz icing sugar
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
6 fl oz (175 ml) sour cream
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp rum
8 fl oz (225 ml) chestnut puree

3 fl oz (80 ml) water
4 fl oz (120 ml) rum
1 tbsp chestnut puree
2 oz icing sugar
1/2 oz butter

Hope that helps. Sounds nice!

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Martha! I'll let you know how it turns out. [Smile]

For my next question - sprouts! We still haven't used up the bag in last week's veg box and another bag has just arrived... I'm not keen on sprouts so any ideas for making them more interesting would be gratefully received. I've found some recipes here. Any more out there? Last year I tried a cauliflower cheese still thing but it wasn't altogether successful.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Brussel Sprout and Hazelnut soup - I have the recipe if you think you'd like it! It comes from the National Trust Book of Traditional recipes.

Brussel sprouts with cream, choux de Bruxelles à la crème, apparently an Escoffier recipe originally - cook them, drain them well, stew them in butter and chop them up, then combine them with as much cream as possible!

Purée of Brussel Sprouts: Cook them in a very little water for as short a time as possible - you can afford to have them very underdone - and put them through the blender with a very little cream. You will have a purée that is a most stratlingly beautiful green but very delicate in flavour. Reheat the purée with more cream and a little butter and season with salt, freshly ground pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. Supposed to be good with red cabbage, chestnuts and/or game. Both recipes come from Margaret Costa's Four Seasons Cookery Book

Eta: the last recipe is a way of conning sprout haters to eat them.

[ 12. December 2008, 18:19: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to admit it but I watched a Jamie Oliver CHristmas special last night. What he did to mixed greens (various cabbages, rapini and so on) might work for sprouts.

He just barely blanched them, cooled them, and reheated them (maybe a minute in all) in a very hot frying pan into which he had first put a dollop (his word -- I'd guess about 2-3 tablespoons for enough greens to feed 6-8) of seasoned butter and a similar amount of balsamic vinegar. Served with a smaller dollop of the butter on top.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Peel and halve the sprouts

Wash and halve button mushrooms

Halve some canned water chestnuts

Heat a wok or pan and add a little oil.

Add sprouts and stir around over a medium-ish heat for a while.

Add mushrooms and continue stirring around for a few minutes more.

Add water chestnuts and continue stirring around until they are heated through.

Add a spoon of creme fraiche [not too much, the idea is to coat them not to make lots of sauce] and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Serve.

Oh, go on then, add a bit more creme fraiche if you want - but always use the full fat as half fat creme fraiche is of the devil and certainly doesn't cook well.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wiffles, dear, half-fat anything is An Abomination Unto The Lord™.
[Snigger]

[ 13. December 2008, 03:09: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Wiffles, dear, half-fat anything is An Abomination Unto The Lord™.
[Snigger]

AMEN!!

Preach it sister!

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

[copied over from the Birds thread]

This year, for no readily apparent reason, I've ordered a roasting haunch of wild boar for Christmas dinner. I'm beginning to think this was a mistake since all the recipes I've found for it recommend marinading for 3 days (how lean can this meat be??) and involve ingredients I've never heard of (arrowroot?).

Anybody ever cooked roast wild boar successfully? Advice? Recipes? Please?

--------------------

Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done boar steaks but nothing bigger. I have used arrowroot for other things, though - it's just a thickening agent and you can probably substitute cornflour instead.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

The main difference between arrowroot and cornflour (AFAIK which might not be all that far) is that arrowroot is clear and cornflour is cloudy. So it depends whether it matters if whatever you're thickening goes cloudy or not.

Wiffles, or anyone else acquainted with Real Curry&trade: if a recipe wants roasted mustard seeds, and I use grainy mustard will it be anything like the same? We don't have all the interesting Indian shops around here so I tend to use curry recipes more as a general guide to the kind of flavours that go together.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there is a method of cooking sprouts with bacon that is supposed to be good. I can actually imagine that working quite well, the strength of the bacon flavour taken the edge off the strong taste in sprouts.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chop the bacon and sprouts quite small and fry them. It's the only way to make them edible that I've so far discovered.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A few chopped nuts of your choice might help increase the Brussels Sprout Edibility Quotient. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016