homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At 108 pages The new, improved, revised, question thread was sending me giddy. Please PM me if you have any unanswered questions and we'll revisit them - and all the new ones not previously raised, here.

Seek and you may find: have fun.

Zappa
Heaven Host

[ 01. January 2011, 09:32: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is the sky blue?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Why is the sky blue?

It isn't. It's diffuse sky radiation.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was because the sky reflects the deep blue sea. [Paranoid]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an elementary school teacher who actually taught us that.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why is the sky blue?

Because the prescription for Zoloft™ expired?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Captain Chrism
Shipmate
# 11393

- Posted      Profile for Captain Chrism   Author's homepage   Email Captain Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does ice float in water?
When everything else becomes denser when it gets cold, why doesn’t water?

--------------------
Because we are not an organisation, let alone a business, or even an institution, but in reality the people of God gathered by the Holy Spirit to walk together in a way that leads to the greater glory of God... Justin Welby

Posts: 72 | From: Sherwood Forest, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure that's an argument for intelligent design... [Two face]

How is it that tea can appear to taste better out of some mugs than others?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I was wondering that only yesterday, after the Smudgelet AGAIN used a mug I don't like for my cup of coffee. I have V shaped mugs which are lovely for hot chocolate but horrible for coffee. I have other ordinary mugs which are perfect for coffee, but hot nice for drinking hot water from, and vice versa. Hot chocolate from a thin mug just doesn't taste right. How can the shape and thickness of the mug affect the taste of the drink?

(We won't discuss tea - abominable stuff!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by captainchrism:

Because of the shape of the water molecule. It's sort of boomerang shaped and moving around can fit more of them into a space than you can when you arrange them the way they want to go, which is in polygons neatly arranged.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not a tea drinker, but I much prefer to have my coffee in a porcelain or china mug/cup. If I am at home and someone makes me a coffee in a pottery mug I have to transfer it into one of 'my' mugs. [Hot and Hormonal]
I can't drink coffee in Costa coffee shops because I can't bear drinking out of the chamber pots they serve it in.

However I like a 'cup of soup', or milky drinks in thicker, heavier mugs. I drink my coffee black, so I wonder if the thickness of the crockery has to reflect the density of the liquid being drunk?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite mug for coffee came as a gift from Starbucks and I use it regularly as that is the brand I drink. However I drink tea from a traditional tea cup with saucer. It just seems to taste better that way!

Campbellite, aren't you glad I didn't ask why the ocean is green? I really did mean the question seriously as I deal with schoolchildren and have several nieces and nephews who may ask me someday. Thank you, Pigwidgeon for your reference and serious answer!

[Biased]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Expanding on Curiosity killed.. . explanation it is indeed boomerang shape but the bend in the boomerang is +ve while the two ends are -ve. This means that they tend to build orderly patterns (i.e. ice is crystalline) but these patterns mean that boomerangs can not be compressed too much , the bend of one boomerang has to be below the ends of another creating space.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a random question - why do we use soap?

Would having a shower in just water and rubbing yourself get yourself as clean (presumably no, but why?). Similarly I've always told kids who thought that they had "washed their hands" after going to the loo that it didn't "count" if they hadn't used soap... but why?

I assume somehow soap removes germs better, but if its all about the germies shouldn't we then all be using anti-bacterial soap everytime we wash?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following on from that, I remember having a random discussion at uni (years ago now - sigh) about blokes who religiously wash their hands after a poo, but never after a wee (they were trying to convince me this was normal after standing up and all that). Were they winding me up or is this common bloke-practice? And is there something in it? Is Urine more sterile or something and poo more soap-worthy?

Also... some people are allergic to soaps. Can they get away with just water or do they have to go and buy special soaps.

(This mind obviously has too much time to think about soap at the moment, maybe it follows on from my pregnancy induced manic-cleaning yesterday!)

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soap is an emulsifier at least for some substances so it stops oily bits of dirt from just repelling water and staying on, so you need to do less scrubbing.

If you want to see this, put an greasy pan in a bowl of clean warm water, then add the washing up liquid.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to tea cups, I'm not bothered whether they are china or pot, but I still, even now in 2009, very strongly prefer proper leaves to bags, even (or particularly) if it's different versions the same tea.

I assume we use soap because otherwise the dirt doesn't come off.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
maybe it follows on from my pregnancy induced manic-cleaning yesterday!

A sure sign something is about to happen...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise
Is Urine more sterile....

I used to know a man who was in the German army in World War 2. He said that the soldiers were instructed that if they were wounded and there was no immediate medical help available, they should put urine on the wound to disinfect it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the last answer on the previous thread was the answer to my movie question: thanks, Francesca!

As to Emma's questions: as for the shower, I think it has to do with non-water soluble dirt. If you have some kind of dirt on you that dissolves in water, it really would just come off with water. However, if you had something (eg. oil, grease) that wasn't, the water wouldn't necessarily take it off. Think of trying to clean a frying pan without washing-up liquid (washing-up liquid and soap are essentially the same chemically). The grease dissolves in the soap and then the grease-soap mixture dissolves in the water.

As for men's post-toilet washing habits, I'd wash after both, but I can see why people would be much more concerned to wash with soap after pooping than peeing, because of wiping. When peeing, there's no real need to get your hand particularly close to the pee, but after a poop, you need to to wipe properly.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to the urine question, yes, as far as I've ever heard, in a healthy individual urine should be sterile.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read urine is sterile when it comes out of the body (and useful to counteract jellyfish stings if desperate, the ammonia helps) - but presumably once it's left for a while it would attract bacteria?

And I really don't get why guys don't wipe after peeing (and then wash hands). What about the drips at the end? I presume men's boxers 'absorb' those?

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mm. Also, I am given to understand that men use their hand(s) to um, aim with. Whilst urine is/should be sterile, what they're holding into certainly isn't. Hands should be washed.
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may more or less follow on from the soap conversation.

I have recently moved to the UK, and have some tablecloths with old food stains on (in?) them. The stuff I would normally try to clean them with I haven't found over here. What will get these stains out of the tablecloths that will not damage the cloth? Any suggestions?

--------------------
Resentment: Me drinking poison and expecting them to die

Posts: 1378 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A) What would you normally use? Can you recall what its active ingredient was?
B) How old are the stains? Last night's supper, or something PreCambrian?
C) There are various products that are supposed to remove biological staining: I've used the one that comes in the bright pink canister with a fair degree of success.
D) Or, just for fun, visit your local Lakeland: they sell all kinds of washing stuff.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

- Posted      Profile for Benedictus   Email Benedictus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Closer to Pre-Cambrian.

I googled, Amos (Google is my bestest friend) and the one I would try first if I were in the states was half Biz and half Oxyclean. Does that equate to anything over here? So I don't have a foolproof US remedy or anything. Just other suggestions, using stuff I haven't seen here.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bene, scissors might work [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
quote:

I was wondering that only yesterday, after the Smudgelet AGAIN used a mug I don't like for my cup of coffee. I have V shaped mugs which are lovely for hot chocolate but horrible for coffee. I have other ordinary mugs which are perfect for coffee, but hot nice for drinking hot water from, and vice versa. Hot chocolate from a thin mug just doesn't taste right. How can the shape and thickness of the mug affect the taste of the drink?

(We won't discuss tea - abominable stuff!)

I'm not entirely sure how the thickness affects the taste, but shape certainly does, as taste is not all about the tongue but also involves your sense of smell (which is why things taste bland when your nose is stuffed up). Different shaped mugs will allow/ direct more or less of the odor to your nose.

This is also why wine snobs are really picky about wine being served out of the proper kind of glass. (Which I know because my loving brother is a wine snob and once yelled at me for getting out the wrong kind of wine glasses. I rolled my eyes and he insisted that I taste the wine out of the proper glass and out of the ones I had gotten out - and I had to admit that the wine really did taste better out of the proper glass).

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Benedictus
Shipmate
# 1215

Smudgie, dear, you are Just So Cute.

[ 30. January 2009, 18:42: Message edited by: Benedictus ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Benedictus

Might something like Vanish Oxi Multi Fabric Stain Remover be what you are looking for?

If you want to investigate more closely, go to the detergent aisle in a local supermarket and move down it slowly, at some point they normally have all the specialist washing products together. Vanish is well established firm here, the other sort you may consider if you know what made the stain are Stain Devils which tend to be small bottles for specific stains. However they do have now a multi-purpose one as well.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can pigeons swim?

In the cold spell a few weeks ago, I was having my morning fag break and noticed that the pond I usually sit by was frozen over. The ducks that normally grace it were nowhere to be seen but various pigeons were walking all over the ice. I realised that I'd never noticed a pigeon there before and assumed that the reason for it was that they couldn't swim. Is that the case?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can pigeons swim?

In the cold spell a few weeks ago, I was having my morning fag break and noticed that the pond I usually sit by was frozen over. The ducks that normally grace it were nowhere to be seen but various pigeons were walking all over the ice. I realised that I'd never noticed a pigeon there before and assumed that the reason for it was that they couldn't swim. Is that the case?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why is the sky blue? ...

I really did mean the question seriously as I deal with schoolchildren and have several nieces and nephews who may ask me someday. Thank you, Pigwidgeon for your reference and serious answer!

[Biased]

Here is a page which gives an experiment which illustrates the light scattering effect which makes the sky appear blue, and gives a good explanation of the phenomenon. By the way, the experiment works best in a tall container.
Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:
Originally posted by captainchrism:

Because of the shape of the water molecule. It's sort of boomerang shaped and moving around can fit more of them into a space than you can when you arrange them the way they want to go, which is in polygons neatly arranged.
To be pedantic, it is also a function of the pressure under which the water ice is formed. At most pressures seen by humans (hence, most of our experience with frozen water), the boomerang shape tends to form stable six-sided rings. You might notice that many snowflakes tend to have a seemingly six-sided crystalline structure. These six-sided rings tend to move the molecules further apart than when they're just bumping around as a fluid - hence, less dense.

However, at higher pressures, the boomerangs are forced to interlock much more closely together and become much denser. One kind of high-pressure-formed ice appears very similar to silicon glass.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More pedantry. Soap is a surfactant. Clumsily described, it works as a two-way grabber - one end bonds strongly to water (ionic), and the other end bonds strongly to anything-but-water (non-ionic). So, the soap grabs onto the molecules of, well, everything you rub it on, and rinsing in water helps rip away anything that isn't strongly bonded together.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
...So, the soap grabs onto the molecules of, well, everything you rub it on, and rinsing in water helps rip away anything that isn't strongly bonded together.

I'm not sure how strongly they are bonded together, but will that work on a serious case of dags?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
... maybe it follows on from my pregnancy induced manic-cleaning yesterday!

To quote Monty Python, it's my belief you're nesting ... [Smile]

On the subject of tea vessels, David would agree about proper china cups being better, even if you're making tea in the cup with a tea-bag, and I think he has a point. I remember seeing a wine-tasting programme once where they demonstrated that certain wines taste better out of particular glasses (champagne from flutes, red wine from big tulip-shaped glasses and so on), so maybe the shape/thickness of the vessel does make a difference.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I much prefer to have my coffee in a porcelain or china mug/cup.

Whereas I'm the opposite. Ah, alas ... there ends potential for a warm and symbiotic relationship [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Thanks for the soap answers everyone [Smile] My curiosity is satisfied now!!

I will usually drink tea out of a mug. A large one. You just get more! However I do *love* tea from a china cup when there is a teapot nearby (ie there is more tea than just a little cup full, that's just disappointing), particularly when making an occasion of it, for example tea with a group of friends with cake, or out at a tea shop.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like drinking tea out of my beautiful, celadon mug. I don't think it's the thickness or shape. It's just so beautiful, it makes me happy. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Interesting - I think for me there's something in the thickness of the mug mirroring the thickness of the drink.

Here's another question that's got me pondering at the moment. Yesterday I spent half an hour in a detox cabin (oh bliss!) and was told that in so doing I'd lose more calories than spending twenty minutes working hard on a rowing machine. (ooh, tough decision!)

So my question is, how do they work out how many calories you burn working on a rowing machine and, likewise, how do they work out how many you burn sitting reading your book in a nice warm wooden cabin while being bombarded with infra-red beams?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know a good website for secondhand cameras - I'm hoping to pick up a digital SLR kit. Or if anyone has an old one they don't want I could be interested if the price is right.

(I already have a compact and am looking to upgrade.)

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Does anyone know a good website for secondhand cameras - I'm hoping to pick up a digital SLR kit. Or if anyone has an old one they don't want I could be interested if the price is right.

(I already have a compact and am looking to upgrade.)

Try www.ebay.co.uk
There are generally a lot of pre-loved Canons and Nikons kicking around there.

Or, if you want somewhere a bit more specialised, try London Camera Exchange

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
Closer to Pre-Cambrian.

I googled, Amos (Google is my bestest friend) and the one I would try first if I were in the states was half Biz and half Oxyclean. Does that equate to anything over here? So I don't have a foolproof US remedy or anything. Just other suggestions, using stuff I haven't seen here.

Done more on this, i.e. spent sometime looking at the stain removers on my local supermarkets shelf. Firstly there is a product called "Oxiclean" is available here which appears to be half your mix. There are however numerous oxygen based stain removers out there.

The Biz Stains fighter isn't but it appears to be a enzyme based stain remover. In which case you might look for something like Bio-tex which is an enzyme based stain remover.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Screwtape Proposes a Toast, of which I don't have a copy to hand at the moment, C.S. Lewis tells the story of a Greek tyrant who is asked how he maintains his power, and answers by going out into a field of corn and cutting down all the ears that rise higher than their neighbours. Does anyone know where he got this story from? I'm pretty sure he didn't just make it up.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a similar Asian (Chinese?) story. It may be one of those commonplaces.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's attributed to the Milesian tyrant Thrasybulus.

But I expect others had the same idea.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Can pigeons swim?

Thurible

I'm sure they would float if you chucked them in the water; not so sure they'd appreciate it.

pigeons have the wrong feet. swimmers like ducks have webbing between their toes so they can paddle through the water, like little oars. Pigeons, like raptors and song birds and such, just have those skinny little toesies that would get them nowhere.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Changes in barometric pressure and/or temperature result in old injuries (wrenched ankle, knee, etc) hurting again. Why?

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
Changes in barometric pressure and/or temperature result in old injuries (wrenched ankle, knee, etc) hurting again. Why?

Joyeux, I think I may have once been told the answer to this but I've forgotten. However you have my sympathies. It's the humid season in Sydney and I woke up with puffy, painful thumbs and a sore foot. One aching hip disturbed my sleep. One of my sons badly smashed his knee years ago. He can still forecast a cold or wet change several days before it hits here.

I'll see if I can find an answer but a shower, breakfast and some coffee first.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016