homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
This is not, repeat not, a request for medical advice!

Having been told yesterday by my doctor that I'm coping too well to be prescribed antidepressants, I'm wondering if there are any homeopathic remedies other than St Johns Wort that can help me cope with the rollercoaster of emotions and demands which my life seems to be just lately. St Johns Wort makes my eyes go funny as a side effect, and I certainly don't want anything which will make me sleepy or endanger my ability to work, drive or care for my son. But I'm guessing there may be something out there which might just help me relax in the in-between times rather than simply hitting the Baileys, especially as I know it's going to get harder again before it gets easier.

Similarly, does anyone know whether St Johns Wort is suitable for a 12-year-old? The labels on homeopathic things never seem to tell you anything.

Smudgie, when I've suffered with depression I've found several things seem to help that come under the heading of "complementary therapy". Massage is one, preferably aromatherapy massage; another is guided imagery and relaxation. Unfortunately you have to pay for them and they can be quite expensive - your doctor may know of some good practitioners.

Your doctor may already have mentioned that physical exercise is good for coping with depression. Also, when I first suffered with it, my doctor (may she live a long and happy life!) prescribed a course of cognitive behavioural therapy, which has helped minimise recurrence.

St John's Wort can react with other medication. I'd check out with your doctor before taking it yourself or giving it to anyone else.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certain vitamins can help as well. I personal find b-vitamins, similar to this, Boots do an almost identical mix which is cheaper, make a difference for me. Fish oils and/or evening primrose oils also help people. I respond to evening primrose rather than fish oil but I know people who are the other way around.

Diet wise, try cutting down on sugar, alcohol and caffeine (watch the energy vitamins a lot contain caffeine). Also drinking lots of water, and exercise help.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
...St John's Wort can react with other medication. I'd check out with your doctor before taking it yourself or giving it to anyone else.

I believe that SJW is one of those things you shouldn't take for too long at any one time - or am I muddling that with something else?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm wondering if there are any homeopathic remedies other than St Johns Wort that can help me cope with the rollercoaster of emotions and demands which my life seems to be just lately.

You might ask your doctor to check your vitamin D levels. If you are deficient in vitamin D (and most folks are, if they live north of Boston), it can exacerbate anxiety and depression. Getting adequate calcium can also help your emotions. Most of us don't get enough of either one.

As others have said, exercise -- especially aerobic exercise -- is good for improving mood. There are good studies that show it's as effective as an antidepressant for mild to moderate depression.

Massage therapy is also good. So is yoga -- the deep breathing that you do at the beginning and end of a yoga session is amazingly calming. In fact, if you can manage to practice slow deep breathing, even without the yoga workout, that alone can help keep your emotions steady.

I know people who have gotten good results with the Bach's Rescue Remedy that someone else mentioned. Fish oil, which has also been mentioned, is also very good. You may have to take it a month or more to really see the effects, though.

Sunshine in the middle of the day may help. If you can't get mid-day sunshine, talk to your doctor about a light box. Most people don't need them in the summer, but some benefit from them year-round, depending on how much time they can get outside.

Also, watch your sleep. Emotional roller coasters become much more intense with lack of sleep.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chamomile or catnip tea for anxiety. If you're not allergic, a nice fluffy CAT on your lap helps as well.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your responses.
I take extra vitamins and had to abandon fish oil tablets due to an allergy to them, though I force feed the latter to my son in the hope of stimulating his brain cell.
Massage therapy would be lovely but, as mentioned, rather pricey and at the moment my free time is rather limited, which also means getting myself incredibly organised in order to start getting more exercise again too. But I think the "doing things for my wellbeing" side is something I know about and actually do cater for as much as possible, whereas the sense of being fed up of the feelings and wanting a break from them, and wanting to feel stronger in dealing with the little things too, is what I was hoping antidepressants might do.

It is situational depression - as my doctor said, "The emotions you are coping with are precisely what I'd expect you to be coping with under the circumstances and I'd be a bit concerned if you weren't. You need to feel these emotions rather than numb them". In fact it's really more stress than depression.

So I think trying out the Bach Rescue Remedy would be a good next step. Can't face cutting down the alcohol, though.

(Sorry, can't help the virtually-teetotaller's response to that suggestion - I may be stressed but I'm still prone to the giggles [Biased] )

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of the giggles, one of the best I've found is to get a heap of comic strip books, whatever floats your boat, just so as it makes you laugh--and go through one per night. I go for Calvin & Hobbes, myself.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a big fan of rescue remedy myself, though I know many who swear by it.

St John's Wort is not such a good idea in summer, especially for anyone with fair skin - it increases the risk of sunburn. It has other risks too and I wouldn't recommend it for the Smudgelet, but a professional herbalist might tell you different.

Even if you can't afford a massage, you can add a few drops of whatever oil to some baby oil and DIY massage areas you can get to - legs and feet are good. Jasmine is recommended for depression.If sleep is a problem, lavender is good. The advice about drinking lots of water is good,and absolutely essential after massage.

Herb teas -some people recommend lemon balm and chamomile. Sleepy tea, made by the 'todaywasfun' company, is great, but finding a stockist has defeated me - it's mostly sold in tins with threee others (including Happiness tea) but these are useless IMHO).

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exercise endorphins are good; I think adrenaline is better. Best of all, in my opinion, is combining both.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Rook. I psychologist friend of mine once explained this to me by saying that evolutionarily we're adapted for flight-or-fight responses: when we're stressed, our body gets ready for physical exertion. If we don't get any exercise, that gets frustrated (just like chewing gum, readying the stomach for food, and then not giving it any), so we feel worse.

Endorphins really are my favorite 'drug'.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But adrenaline and getting a higher adrenaline is actually driving your "fight and flight" response into overdrive.

If you are in a long term stress situation doing that can lead to a weird thing where your blood sugar starts fluctuating widely. Add sugar to adrenaline and you have a pretty toxic recipe. You get a temporary high due to the adrenaline and sugar, you then can hit a blood sugar low that can in some people send you into the danger zone for hypoglycaemia. I know a friend whose done it.

Jengie

[ 10. July 2009, 22:17: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But surely JJ, exercise uses up the adrenaline and releases those amazing endorphins, so you shouldn't then get the blood sugar problem?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been persuaded to write the story of my childhood for the grandchildren and I'm really getting into it – yesterday I scanned a whole batch of photos from old family albums.

So far I'm seven years old and it's wartime.

So can anyone – or their Mum or Dad – complete this rhyme?

Whistle while you work
Mussolini made a shirt;
Hitler wore it
??? tore it
Whistle while you work

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chamberline, apparently

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we might have sung "Churchill tore it".

My memory works slowly. Maybe kids knew about Churchill but not Chamberlain's 'piece of paper".

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig on the "Arh! Flies!" thread:
Having just come home from three weeks away, I have returned to find that there is a swarm of big black flies in the house (not of plague proportions, but there are enough to be really annoying).

They are slow and dopey, but really fat and ugly. During daylight hours I managed to sweep as many as I could find out of the window, but after dark there are more and they are buzzing around the light.

The house was cleaned thoroughly before we went away, and was cleaned again before we got back. It was spotless when I walked through the door, and I can't find anything smelly or disgusting that might be attracting or breeding the flies.

If anyone can help, my questions are:

(i) What could be causing this fly-festival?

(ii) What can I do about it?

(Having spent a long time in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Spain, and other hot places, I'm quite used to dealing with flies, but these critters are different - they are bigger, slower-flying, and really stupid.)

To which I responded:
quote:

Aha! I found our handy "questions thread" buzzing around on Page 2, so I'll just swat this post in its direction.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in an amazing battle of nanoseconds, LutheranChik managed to sneak this post in under the wire before I got the "Arh! Flies!" thread closed:

quote:

I grew up in a stone farmhouse that, every summer, attracted just the flies you describe...which would die en masse in our attic, They terrified me as a young child. In the case of our house, the warmth of the stonework, combined with tiny chinks in the mortar, seemed to attract them into the house; certainly not our or my grandparents' (the original homeowners') housekeeping. When my parents moved to their retirement resicence, a modern vinyl-siding cottage in a wooded area -- no more flies.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smudgie: re massages being very expensive (true) I worked with someone who was training as a masseur. He needed people to practice on. Is there an adult ed college/ beauty therapist college nearby who may be looking for guinea pigs to practice massage on? Volunteering as a GP for the students might be a cheap way to get massages.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to get huge numbers of flies in my attic every fall. Some one told me they were cluster flies, rather than ordinary house flies. I would vacuum up at least thirty corpses every day. There was nothing up there for them to eat; I guess they just wanted to get in from the cold.

I bought one of those gadgets that emit sound the insects don't like. It never worked with any other kind of insect, but it did get rid of the cluster flies.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a battery chicken farm anywhere near? There used to be one near my mother's place and during spells of hot weather we used to get swarms of these big fat black flies. They got in everywhere even if the house was shut up tight. Not much you can do unfortunately, but as you say they are relatively easy to swat.

Old fashioned fly paper is surprisingly effective too!

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Smudgie: re massages being very expensive (true)

Am I just lucky? I'm having my first professional one tomorrow and it's only costing me $55 for 55 minutes, which I don't really regard as particularly expensive. Mind you, this is at a gym that cost me $99 to join for the month but I've got enough out of it already that I'm not mentally factoring that in to the price of the massage.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That seems an average amount to pay. Way too much for me at the moment.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been to lots of lands, but I have to say that the flies in Australia (Sydney/Newcastle area) are the worst I have encountered. Their big, slow, won't leave you alone and actually follow you down the street.

I have always admired the patience of my Aussie friends and say TBTG that the flies we have in North America have ADD.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Having been told yesterday by my doctor that I'm coping too well to be prescribed antidepressants, I'm wondering if there are any homeopathic remedies other than St Johns Wort that can help me cope with the rollercoaster of emotions and demands which my life seems to be just lately. St Johns Wort makes my eyes go funny as a side effect, and I certainly don't want anything which will make me sleepy or endanger my ability to work, drive or care for my son. But I'm guessing there may be something out there which might just help me relax in the in-between times rather than simply hitting the Baileys, especially as I know it's going to get harder again before it gets easier.

Valerian. I keep a supply of valerian teabags handy. I've also found that the capsules helped a lot when I was having driving lessons and tests - just squashed the frazzled feeling and I could get on more calmly and confidently. Despite what it said on the packet, they didn't put me to sleep or make me feel at all drowsy during the day, nor did the tea. I still keep them for emergencies.

St John's Wort doesn't suit everybody. (It can make your skin very sensitive - you'll really feel the clothes you're wearing - and your eyes can become very receptive to light.) It's helpful in small doses, particularly in the run-up to menopause, when emotions start running high anyway, but if you need larger doses, you need a proper medical anti-depressant.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
I have been to lots of lands, but I have to say that the flies in Australia (Sydney/Newcastle area) are the worst I have encountered. Their big, slow, won't leave you alone and actually follow you down the street.

I have always admired the patience of my Aussie friends and say TBTG that the flies we have in North America have ADD.

The flies on the coast (like their human counterparts) are mere apprentices compared to those in the outback. Sometimes a couple of hundred can settle on and round you within seconds of departing the safety of a building.*

Try eating outside in Tibbooburra or Birdsviile or Alice or ...

(*ironically kiwiland had its own variety that simply fly around and around and around in the dead centre of inside living spaces ...)

[ETA evidence ]

[ 16. July 2009, 20:34: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

This is the obligatory reminder, in response to the exchange upthread about medications, that the Ship cannot give medical advice.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

In earlier times, babies could not be baptised as "Tommy" or "Betty", for example, but had to be "Thomas" or "Elizabeth".
Does anyone know when this changed?

(And about flies:
quote:
(*ironically kiwiland had its own variety that simply fly around and around and around in the dead centre of inside living spaces ...)
At less intense concentrations, there will be one fly... you finally kill it... and immediately there is one again...)

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that pesky doctrine of resurrection [Razz]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know of any online site which gives the value of money long ago in today's money. (UK sterling)

I.e. I want to know what a salary of £x in the 1920s would be worth now, and if someone left £Y in their Will in the 1930s, how big a legacy would that be today? Failing that, a site giving average house prices over the last century would be helpful.

I've found a couple of American sites, but I'm looking for something British.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Exeter university site might point you in the right direction.

[ 23. July 2009, 12:17: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant! That's just what I was looking for, and the explanation about the difference between RPI and average earnings was very helpful.

Thanks!!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss (aka my rector) gets wondering about strange things sometimes. He's wondering which, if any, of the Oxford University colleges is/are Roman Catholic.

Google has been no help.

Thanks!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

They are almost certainly still permanent private halls, so you get [url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Benet%27s_Hall,_Oxford]St Benet's Hall Oxford[/url], Campion Hall Oxford and Blackfriars.

My guess is that some maybe considering becoming a full Oxford College. However Manchester and Mansfield (Unitarian and URC) only became full Colleges as opposed to Permanent Private Halls relatively recently (i.e. in my life time). Regent's Park(Baptist) remains a Permanent Private Hall.

Jengie

[ 30. July 2009, 20:43: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, eight minutes for a response -- thanks, Jengie Jon!

We did look up Campion, which didn't seem to be a real college. And I couldn't determine whether Blackfriars was or not.

I shall pass this on. Maybe I'll get a raise. [Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know how to get the smell of cigarettes off a book? I bought a secondhand but supposedly 'as new' book from Amazon, and it looks perfect, but smells terrible. It's not worth complaining because it was very cheap, and I want it anyway, but I can't read it at the moment because of the smell.

Is there a magic solution?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This page has a lot of ideas. They generally fall into three categories: dryer sheets, baking soda, and newspaper. I haven't tried any of them, but they're all inexpensive to try.

You could also call your local public library. They must have a few tricks for removing odors from books.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Josephine - the baking soda sounds as though it would work. It removes smells from fridges, anyway! I might try the newspaper one first as it's less messy, though. I'll give the dryer sheets a miss, as I think I would find that smell just as bad as the cigarette smoke.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

What are dryer sheets?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay whilst sitting at a traffic light today, I saw that the large truck (lorry) next to me had some kind of plastic do-whatsits on or around its lugnuts. These do-whatsits were like teardrops or ice-cream-cone shapes of flat plastic with a lugnut-shaped hole in the fat end, beneath or pushed down to the base of the lugnut. The pointy end of each was pointing to the next lugnut over (clockwise, if that matters).

What are those for?

PS dryer sheets are sheets of papery fabric (or fabricy paper) impregnated with smelly chemicals that one puts in the tumble dryer with one's clothes to (a) reduce static electricity, and (b) transfer the smell to the clothes.

[ 04. August 2009, 21:24: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Depending on whether I boarrd the ship from Safari or Firefox I get a different picture for Mystery Worshipper on the home page. I wonder why?

--------------------

Brother William
Apprentice
# 14936

- Posted      Profile for Brother William   Email Brother William   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay whilst sitting at a traffic light today, I saw that the large truck (lorry) next to me had some kind of plastic do-whatsits on or around its lugnuts. These do-whatsits were like teardrops or ice-cream-cone shapes of flat plastic with a lugnut-shaped hole in the fat end, beneath or pushed down to the base of the lugnut. The pointy end of each was pointing to the next lugnut over (clockwise, if that matters).

What are those for?

I've seen and pondered the same thing Mousethief!

I came to the conclusion that they were there to enable a quick visual check of the wheels - to make sure none of the nuts had worked loose, meaning the wheel might come off.

A conclusion I haven't checked out, but it satisfied my curiosity anyway!

--------------------
Now all I need to do is come up with something witty to go in my signature...

Posts: 9 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by The Galloping Granny:
Depending on whether I boarrd the ship from Safari or Firefox I get a different picture for Mystery Worshipper on the home page. I wonder why?

Galloping Granny, try posting this question on the Technical Support thread in The Styx. They might be able to help you over there.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brother William:
I came to the conclusion that they were there to enable a quick visual check of the wheels - to make sure none of the nuts had worked loose, meaning the wheel might come off.

A conclusion I haven't checked out, but it satisfied my curiosity anyway!

That makes a great deal of sense! Thanks.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pre-holiday question from the technically challenged:

My camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-W50, bought in 2007. It came with a rechargeable battery labelled G type, Lithium Ion, NP-BG1. Just before I go on holiday, I find the indicator is telling me I need a new battery. No time to buy online - I go to a usually dependable department store, where I am sold a Sony battery labelled G type, infolithium, NP-FG1. When I query this, I am told "if it doesn't work, bring it back". The only info on the packaging is that, if I have compatible equipment, it can now tell me how much longer the battery will last, in minutes. I'm guessing that this battery will work correctly in my camera without damaging the camera or me (and without, of course, displaying the minutes remaining). I've tried to find this info on the net, but without success (blame my poor search skills). Can anyone reassure me?

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

It is unlikely to damage your camera, it is Sony's own successor to your battery and has no difference in voltage, wattage or current which are the major concerns. You can get to know moreby reading this discussion.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you very much, Jengie; I was sure a Shipmate would be able to help me!

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All you folk who live where the deer and the antelope roam - and doubtless make rugs out of them - is there any way to stop a pelt shedding?

I have a reindeer that I bought in Bergen which was fine to begin with, but now sheds handfuls.

Is there any way to stop it? Will it ever stop of its own accord, or will it just keep going until I'm left with a reindeer-shaped washleather?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was fine to begin with, I suspect you're doomed to a bald reindeer skin. You may be able to slow down the shedding by putting it somewhere where it is subject to less wear - hanging on a wall, instead of using it for a rug, say.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
If it was fine to begin with, I suspect you're doomed to a bald reindeer skin. You may be able to slow down the shedding by putting it somewhere where it is subject to less wear - hanging on a wall, instead of using it for a rug, say.

That did cross my mind, but we simply don't have the sort of house you decorate with dead animal. What our walls cry out for is a Peploe or a Fergusson.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone give me a figure for the proportion of my (UK employee) taxes that go towards the NHS? Preferably the proportion of my income tax and the proportion of my National Insurance.

If not, can anyone tell me how much the average UK taxpayer pays towards the NHS?

I'm trying to work out how much my recent broken arm cost me/us in the UK versus how much it would have cost with the HMO we were using in the US.

An interesting comparision I hope!

[ 19. August 2009, 10:00: Message edited by: chukovsky ]

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016