homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where would you look for information on UK waters? It's information such as tidalness, currentyness, and shippingyness that I'd be interested in. Is there somewhere like the met office but for the sea?

--------------------
Floating Fund!

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
UK tides according to the BBC. It also has links to the shipping forecast (also available on Radio4 IIRC), inshore water & coastal forecasts, sea temperatures and other such links.

This site also seems to have some potentially useful links, as does this .

No idea about how you find out about shippingyness though!

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant, thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what are you planning?

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Planning? Moi? *assumes look of calculated innocence*
Just looking and thinking for now [Biased]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, evil MS Word (*spit*). I somehow seem to have managed to switch something on that I can't switch off, and because I don't know what it's called I can't search for it in the help section. Basically in every space there's a • and every time I enter there's a ¶, which makes it really difficult to read. What is that called, and how the hell do I switch it off again?

(I was typing and must have leant on one of the control or alt keys or something in the middle of my word, as it suddenly just appeared, and now it is the default state for all documents [Help] [brick wall] )

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which edition of word?

In Word 2007, under the 'Home' tab, there is a button with the symbol-which-you're-getting-when-you-press-enter on it, which turns the feature on and off. It also works via Ctrl key plus enter key plus 8/* key.

It's labelled as "show/hide paragraph marks and other hidden formatting symbols" so I'd use that as your basis for searching Help if you've got an older version of Word and the above options don't work.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

It's in the 'paragraph' section. (sorry, I have different version) but one of them (in the drop down list) should have that backwards P symbol on it, and that will click off the punctuation markers.

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I believe the feature is designed for the benefit of people wot are having to type things very, very perfectly for neat final copy and therefore need to check they haven't e.g.accidentally put two spaces rather than one between some words, etc.)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also useful when there's some wonky bit of formatting in that's making a mess of things that you need to find and delete to allow your absent sanity to return.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the formatting tool on all the time when using Word because you can see what else is there. It winds most other people up and I try to remember to turn it off before e-mailing a document back.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The formatting marks in Word were the only way an anally retentive person (such as myself) could stand to use it. Sure, it's fine for pounding out blocks of prose, but then so is the text editor. No, the formatting is the thing, and Word keeps Trying To Help, and by doing so often gets in the way - the format marks reveal the underlying issues definitively instead of having to guess at them.

Or something. I've actually abandoned Word. And word processing as much as possible, to be truthful.

Most of the time, I concentrate on the simple text. When I need to care about formatting, I use HTML. When I need to worry about it being printed on horrifically inefficient sections of smashed and bleached wood pulp, I export to PDF. Fuck you, Word, and your hateful pandering to smooth-brained morons and your multitude of crimes against aesthetics and functionality.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have posted this instead.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
(I believe the feature is designed for the benefit of people wot are having to type things very, very perfectly for neat final copy and therefore need to check they haven't e.g.accidentally put two spaces rather than one between some words, etc.)

Yup, tiger, that's my understanding of it: - JacktheLass, I used it often in the late stages of presentation-checking my thesis (I use 2002, though, where I turn it on and off on the Options tag). But you're right, it can totally throw the pagination if you are working in Print View, and can play absolute havoc with footnotes, indexes and things. One such error caused my supervisor from hell to throw many "fucking idiot what have you done" epithets my way [Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone, that's really helpful.
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I should have posted this instead.

Funnily enough that's exactly what TME says each time I've asked him something techy since the cartoon appeared [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
get some kind of bed-frame, costing as little as possible (*keeps an eye on ebay*), at some point in the next few weeks or months.)

Or look at your nearby Freecycle group...
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do old posts disappear altogether into cyberspace?

My daughter's fallen prey to a conspiracy theory about children's vaccinations. I'd have loved to refer her to a thread on the subject (The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few – in Purg 21 December 2008) but it no longer exists.
Or does it?

Desperate GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is cached here by Google

Jengie

[ 04. September 2009, 11:39: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The formatting marks in Word were the only way an anally retentive person (such as myself) could stand to use it. Sure, it's fine for pounding out blocks of prose, but then so is the text editor. No, the formatting is the thing, and Word keeps Trying To Help, and by doing so often gets in the way - the format marks reveal the underlying issues definitively instead of having to guess at them.

WordPerfect (remember that?) used to have one very simple key "reveal codes" which switched all those marks off and on.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

I was only thinking yesterday how vastly superior WordPerfect always was to Word - even now I'd take the DOS version of WordPerfect in a heartbeat over Word. Ah happy days, when I never wanted to throw the computer at the wall like I do All The Damn Time now.

(and before anyone says OpenOffice, actually I tried it for a couple of months earlier in the year on the recommendation of more than one Shipmate and found it even worse than Word).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert Armin in AS:

quote:
I've got a study full of books to clear. A lot of them are left over from old GCSE and A Level courses; they are good scholarship but a little dated now (Barrett on John, for example). It seems a shame to throw them away, but I can't use them at all. Does anyone know an institution that might be glad to have them?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I was only thinking yesterday how vastly superior WordPerfect always was to Word ...

I was always (always!) a Wordstar person myself. Wordstar for DOS. Then someone came out with some sort of Windowy thing and I though "what a bunch of crap that is ... it'll never take off" (I thought the same about CDs when they hit the shops [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I was only thinking yesterday how vastly superior WordPerfect always was to Word - even now I'd take the DOS version of WordPerfect in a heartbeat over Word. Ah happy days, when I never wanted to throw the computer at the wall like I do All The Damn Time now.

I agree with you. I knew where I was with WordPerfect. I don't know which version of Word you're running, but the latest version that comes with that blasted ribbon is driving me up the wall.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for all you toy railway addicts from a concerned Smudgelet. Does anyone know whether the move by Hornby towards digital systems will mean that his current track and trains will be obsolete and that any new ones he buys in the future will be incompatible with them? Dare he keep expanding his collection or would he be better to save his money and start only collecting digital ones?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any advice about how to get a leather jacket cleaned? I know the usual dry cleaners won't touch it, it needs a special process which is very expensive. I tried a couple of places today and they even advised against trying to get it cleaned at all.

So is it worth it - or is there anything I can do myself to make it look better? It's not very dirty, just starting to look a bit shabby.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Galloping Granny:

My daughter's fallen prey to a conspiracy theory about children's vaccinations. I'd have loved to refer her to a thread on the subject (The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few – in Purg 21 December 2008) but it no longer exists.
Or does it?

Desperate GG

Gah. I wish I'd recorded my child when she was really ill with whooping cough. Experiencing that has made me militantly pro vaccinations and angry with those who are anti... (Australia in particular where the m-i-l who brought it over is from was rife with non-vaccinators..)
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or does it?

Desperate GG

I know someone's already posted a google cache of the first page of this thread, but I've now found the original thread in Oblivion here

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Robert Armin in AS:

quote:
I've got a study full of books to clear. A lot of them are left over from old GCSE and A Level courses; they are good scholarship but a little dated now (Barrett on John, for example). It seems a shame to throw them away, but I can't use them at all. Does anyone know an institution that might be glad to have them?

My apologies for posting in the wrong place PeteC - I'm afraid I didn't realise this thread existed. If anyone can point me in a helpful direction I would be most grateful.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Courtesy of Abebooks, I recently came across this: 'The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories'.

Now, ever eager for new information, and interested to know what it is that motivates a lesbian horse, I noted that Amazon would show me the first few pages, so I read them.

And God it was bad. But what I want to know is this. I was shocked at the crudity, not sexual, but of execution. I am not a big reader of soft porn, but I can't imagine a hetero author getting away with quite such transparent devices to get his characters into bed.

So, a question for any lesbian readers: is this typical of lesbian fiction, or is it genuinely a heap of shit? Or am I just unnaturally prudish? Or is it some kind of satire that only works if you're steeped in the conventions of lesbian soft porn?

[ 07. September 2009, 16:44: Message edited by: Figbash ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Gashlycrumb | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

WordPerfect (remember that?) used to have one very simple key "reveal codes" which switched all those marks off and on.

It still does. I have WordPerfect (long may it wave! but how long, O Lord?).

The faux "reveal codes" of Word reveals about 10 percent of them. As I am reminded, EVERY FREAKING DAY at work. [brick wall]

[ 07. September 2009, 17:06: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is because Word doesn't really use codes. Rather a document in Word is a series of instructions to the computer that will output the text in the required form.

You used to be able to see these by going into a Word document with a text editor. At least once I have managed to rescue a long document that way. The guy had managed to put in a circular loop and therefore the document was every loading.

Jengie.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
A question for all you toy railway addicts from a concerned Smudgelet. Does anyone know whether the move by Hornby towards digital systems will mean that his current track and trains will be obsolete and that any new ones he buys in the future will be incompatible with them? Dare he keep expanding his collection or would he be better to save his money and start only collecting digital ones?

As far as I know, and talking from experience back in the 1980ies when they started with the first digital trains, tracks should be compatible. Locos will very probably be as well, as you should always be able to run analogue ones on digitally-fed tracks. Analogue and digital are compatible, as long as you still have analogue controllers and transformers - and that's as far as goes, I believe.

In the worst case scenario, Smudgelet might need (or want) to put a tiny digital module into an analogue (old) engine, which is not that big a deal as those units are getting smaller all the time.

I hope someone can give more details, but I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Most manufacturers have digital control systems but I think it will be a long time, if ever, before digital takes over entirely. Some model locos have the digital chips already installed and while they can be run on normal, ie, analogue controllers I don't think it is a great idea in the long term.

The advantage with digital is that you can run prototypically, in that the power goes to the model loco, rather than the track.

In any event it is possible to wire the necessary digital chip into most recent models, in HO and OO scale for a start and even in some N gauge, so, when the final switchover comes, in about 20 years (my guess), it shouldn't be such a big deal. There may however be a few models that for one reason or another just can't accept digital, but they are likely to be out of production now.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Textbooks

Aren't there charities which collect books for third world schools?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:

Or does it?

Desperate GG

I know someone's already posted a google cache of the first page of this thread, but I've now found the original thread in Oblivion here
On shore leave -– just rowed out to the ship -- for a visit. Many thanks.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Textbooks

That's what I thought - but I don't know their names, or how to contact them.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends how recently you used them but if the course at the local school is still the same they may well welcome them in the library!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sort of books described are probably not relevant for schools any more but would be very useful for people training to be lay readers/local preachers - maybe your diocese/district had a training course that you could donate them to.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Textbooks

That's what I thought - but I don't know their names, or how to contact them.
There's a bloke in our church who does this. Ships books to Nigeria and Sierra Leone.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

I've been googling for ages and can't seem to find an answer to this one...

My phone (basic one - sony ericcson t303 if it matters) gave up storing sent texts a month or so ago. There doesn't seem to be a setting to store or not store them and its still saving "in box" messages. Just not the outbox ones.

Any ideas?!

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Ah sussed it. It thinks its in 2008 so all my messages were being stored upside down....
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Does anyone have any advice about how to get a leather jacket cleaned?

If the liner zips out, perfect. Just wash it like normal laundry. If not, you can use a spray fabric cleaner (like Febreeze) in the dirtier parts, like the arm pits.

For the outside leather shell, stop by your local leather jacket store. They'll have 2 things you need: cleaner, and protectant. You'll start by wiping the whole jacket down with a clean damp cloth to remove excess dirt. Then use the cleaner as instructed on the bottle. It's usually just a wipe on/wipe off process. Then use the protectant according to its label. A lot of these are in a spray can.

If you don't have a local shop, search Amazon for "leather jacket cleaner" and pick a cleaner/conditioner and a protectant that are labeled for garment use.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I am searching for present ideas (all else fails and it will be Amazon tokens). For my thesis I have two people who proof read for me, both volunteered. Each year I like to give them a gift as an acknowledgement of the effort they put in over the year. Its time to be getting the gifts once again.

One is in his late seventies, Scottish, retired doctor and cultured; the other is around fifty, formerly a research scientist but now looking for other employment, likes Terry Pratchet, is into upholstery and can do it at a professional level. Both of them have a liking for the idiosyncratic.

Last year I gave them Sloe Gin (thanks Earwig for the hint).

Any ideas of something slightly unusual to give them (does not have to be the same for both) for about twenty pounds.

Jengie

[ 09. September 2009, 19:06: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has the Terry Pratchett fan got the Science of the discworld books? Otherwise, you can get Discworld figurines, but I don't know how much they cost.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Giving that some serious thought, not the figurines but the science of discworld. She'd enjoy it but therefore she may well have it.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone satisfy my curiosity and tell me if Jehovah's Witnesses ever call at vicarages/rectories/presbyteries?

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loveheart:
Can someone satisfy my curiosity and tell me if Jehovah's Witnesses ever call at vicarages/rectories/presbyteries?

I'm sure they do in the U.S., because our vicarages/rectories/presbyteries aren't marked as such. (And very few parishes, at least in the Episcopal Church, have church-owned housing. Most clergy have housing allowances these days -- simpler for the church, better for the clergy.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loveheart:

They've done it here, more than once - it says 'Rectory' on the gate.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, They came to home of our priest and his wife filled with glee, directed them down to the basement where the priest and the senior warden were busy making home made wine. [Snigger]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they're supposed to, because everybody deserves to know the Truth (as they call it), and that includes those who make their living preaching false religion (that's everything that isn't the Truth). Besides, members of the clergy are at special risk, because I believe they're going to be the first to be killed at Armageddon. So really it's the duty of a kind humane JW to make sure they have a chance to know the Truth [Big Grin]
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016