homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the weekend a friend told me she was visited several times by JWs when living in a rectory in the UK - it was a new build, not right next to the church, but had a big sign identifying it.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
Besides, members of the clergy are at special risk, because I believe they're going to be the first to be killed at Armageddon.

Really? I'd better warn my vicar at MP this morning then! [Eek!]

[Devil]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a couple of insurance policies, which I took out a while ago. On one I have misplaced the documentation (maybe two) on a third I never had full documentation.

They provide my emergency provision for expensive risks e.g. loss of employment due to health problems.

What I would like to do is get a copy of the cover, so that in an emergency there is information on them primarily for others.

All the clue I have is the direct debits are clearly on my current account.

How do I start finding this out?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My direct debits like this all have reference numbers which I think are/relate to the policy numbers.

Might it be worth phoning your insurance provider(s) with these numbers and seeing if they can trace the policy and provide you with documentation?

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calling literary shipmates. A colleague is trying to trace the original of an Oscar Wilde quote. A back translation from the French would be something like: "I take care of public taste. I fight against it". Does anybody recognise what the original English is and where it is from?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

- Posted      Profile for DagonSlaveII     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How is it that tea can appear to taste better out of some mugs than others?
Simple and fourfold:

1. Your taste is dominated by smell, and some shapes shove more aroma up your nose.

2. Unless you're the anal type that always premeasures the amount of hot water you put into your glass, when making tea, you're eyeballing it, and likely putting the same exact measurement of tea and sugar to the variable water, which means that in a glass that looks a certain way, the amount of water therein will be conductive to ideal taste.

3. Colors affect hunger, which also affects how things taste. Things taste better when you are hungry.

4. Mood also affects taste. You are more likely to grab a specific mug when in a certain mood, even when you attempt to do this randomly.

[Edit: UBB]

[ 18. September 2009, 18:59: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
Thanks for all the prayers for my not-yet-family. Please continue to pray for my future Brother-in-law's mum, she is still in the hospital, although doing better.

Posts: 138 | From: Houma | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

- Posted      Profile for DagonSlaveII     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Why can't humans eat raw meat (as a general rule) like other animals?

Conditioning.

It's the same as why we can't drink foregion water. And we can too eat raw meat that is sterile. Hell, we can even eat unsterile raw meat. We are omnivores. Most studies show that the uncooked proteins in meat are better for us, but we're healthier if we sterilize the meat--which often means cooking it.

We shouldn't eat pigs because our diseases are similar (for one). We have a harder time eating bones, leather and sinew. We weren't "designed" to eat food and store it in us for 2 weeks like dogs, but we keep that same food in us longer than most Cats do (shorter intestinal tract).

--------------------
Thanks for all the prayers for my not-yet-family. Please continue to pray for my future Brother-in-law's mum, she is still in the hospital, although doing better.

DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

quote:

Any ideas of something slightly unusual to give them (does not have to be the same for both) for about twenty pounds.

Jengie [/QB]

Go down for links to by all interesting things related to discworld.

--------------------

DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Does anyone have any advice about how to clean the grout around discoloured bathroom tiles? I have some of the stuff which you repaint on top after you've cleaned them, but the advice is to clean them first and nothing seems to shift the stains. I've tried Cif and other similar products but no luck.

Use something closer to a Gel with bleach. Like Laundry detergent, or at least a dish-washing soap. If the grout was not a white grout (yes, they make it in dark colors), nothing is going to budge the color.

--------------------

DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
[qb] Is putting a mattress directly onto the floor (instead of onto a bed-frame or divan base or whatever) inherently bad for:

1) The person sleeping on the mattress?

and/or

2) The life and quality over time of the mattress?

If so, why?

One quick point: Go get a wet wipe of some sort. Go to the center of your room and mane a swipe with one wipe. Go next to the wall, and swipe at that crack. Look at the difference. This is what everything that rests on the floor will eventually carry.

--------------------

DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I used to get huge numbers of flies in my attic every fall. Some one told me they were cluster flies, rather than ordinary house flies. I would vacuum up at least thirty corpses every day. There was nothing up there for them to eat; I guess they just wanted to get in from the cold.

I bought one of those gadgets that emit sound the insects don't like. It never worked with any other kind of insect, but it did get rid of the cluster flies.

Moo

Never had those emitters work well, either. I know Citronella plants work for more than mosquitoes.

--------------------

DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Ok, here's a new one. I thought of posting it in Hell, but decided there might be a reason.

These days, many, many people and catering kitchens love balsamic vinaigrette. They cook with it, pour it over everything. It's often the only choice offered for Train or airplane salads.

I find it foul, nasty and bitter. Won't touch it at all, even if the salad is the only part of a meal I can eat.

But I've seen people pouring it on - and lapping up excesses with a spoon, for God's sake.

Explain.

It has to do with specific tastes. Some people like strong flavors. The smell of it, I could do without, but I love strong acidic taste. (To see if there is a way you can handle the taste of it: 1/2 bv and 1/2 evoo and a bit of salt, to taste.)

Another good example is Aloe Vera. There's a chemical in it my dad cannot taste at all. I can taste it, but it's not bad enough for it to affect me eating it. To my mom and brothers, it tastes like absolute crud. Dad used to add it to his fruit juices.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Calling literary shipmates. A colleague is trying to trace the original of an Oscar Wilde quote. A back translation from the French would be something like: "I take care of public taste. I fight against it". Does anybody recognise what the original English is and where it is from?

You could try looking here (I would look but am on my way to bed!):

Oscar Wilde quotes

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Are you sure it started in English? Salome by Wilde was originally written in French (only cos it came up on Mastermind tonight while I was braiding my daughter's hair)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Further research suggests it may be apocryphal - the sort of thing Wilde ought to have said, perhaps. Thanks anyway!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nearest I got was this one:
quote:

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

Which contains a similar sort of sentiment.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have just bought a jar of "traditional farmhouse recipe Mango Chutney"

I think I was at university in the 1980s before I ever tasted mango, and even then, it came in slices, in syrup, in a tin. I guess I'd have seen my first real mango in the late 80s or early 90s.

Am I remembering correctly, or was I living in a bizarre mango-free bubble? Is a "traditional farmhouse recipe" for mango chutney plausible?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan_of_Quark:
At the weekend a friend told me she was visited several times by JWs when living in a rectory in the UK - it was a new build, not right next to the church, but had a big sign identifying it.

When my mum was a lay worker for two churches, my parents lived in a vicarage and they got quite a lot of visits from the JW -- they got the impression there were extra brownie points for converting a vicar.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a student at St Michael's College Llandaff a couple of Mormons decided to have a crack at converting the entire College in a single meeting. They didn't get too far....
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Is a "traditional farmhouse recipe" for mango chutney plausible?

I assume they have farmhouses in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. And I know they have traditions and recipies...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Is a "traditional farmhouse recipe" for mango chutney plausible?

Yes, indeedy! [Big Grin] Around my home town, you would find several "traditional" mango chutney versions. Mangoes from green to ripe are used, and you could probably find something that would be tasty to almost everyone! (Barring the non-mango eaters, whom we love, because that means more mangoes for the rest of us.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, daft question, but perhaps of interest to some in the electronics department. And yes, I came up with this very late at night...

A loudspeaker's or headphones' function can in some cases be reversed, and these devices made to work, more or lost successfully, as microphones. So instead of emitting sound waves, they react to these and make them available for recording.

Would this reverse function in theory also be possible for at least certain TV or computer screens (or any screen at all)? And couldn't cameras, at least in theory, also project video images? Some explanation would be welcome, in whatever detail. [Smile]

Many thanks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Ok, daft question, but perhaps of interest to some in the electronics department. And yes, I came up with this very late at night...

A loudspeaker's or headphones' function can in some cases be reversed, and these devices made to work, more or lost successfully, as microphones. So instead of emitting sound waves, they react to these and make them available for recording.

Would this reverse function in theory also be possible for at least certain TV or computer screens (or any screen at all)? And couldn't cameras, at least in theory, also project video images? Some explanation would be welcome, in whatever detail.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:

The relationship between sound waves and signal is very simple and direct, making reversibility easy. A simple voltage relates to instantaneous pressure.

Meanwhile, the relationship between arrays of data and arrays of photons is anything but direct. The hardware for emitting photons in computer screens (electron guns fluorescing a screen or backlit LCD's or LED's) are not reversible into acting the same as photon-detecting CCD's. It's sort of like trying to use a gun to catch a lead slug such that it seals on a cartridge and forms a bullet, or trying to squeeze a lemon from the flavour of a lemon your tongue has tasted. The mechanisms are just too different to invert well. This isn't to say that there isn't a reversible mechanism possible, just that it isn't common technology.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - thank you! Interesting. And food for thought.

Still, in theory, the lens mechanism in a camera appears to me as somewhat related to lenses used for projecting light (as in a data projector). I imagine they're not too different, though perhaps not easily reversible, like you're saying?

Thanks!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Wow - thank you! Interesting. And food for thought.

Still, in theory, the lens mechanism in a camera appears to me as somewhat related to lenses used for projecting light (as in a data projector). I imagine they're not too different, though perhaps not easily reversible, like you're saying?

Thanks!

Broadly speaking the lenses are quite similar, it's just that the process of receiving/recording light is rather different from the process of producing it. If one thinks of a traditional film camera, the film ionside the camera reacts chemically to exposure to light, but has no means of producing light.

With a digital camera, the strong daylight produces relatively small electrical effects in the receiving apparatus. By contrast quite a lot of electrical power needs to be input to produce the light levels of a projector.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Wesley J

You have heard the old joke about how to catch elephants.

Look through a telescope the wrong way use a pair of tweezers and put them in a jam jar.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anybody recommend any substance which:

a) dogs hugely dislike the smell of and will avoid
b) is non-toxic and safe for the environment and animals
c) is not too expensive in relatively large quantities?

The flat I've recently moved into has a yard which backs out onto an alley. Not all of the dog-owners round here seem to understand the concept of clearing up after one's dog and my back gate now has some piles of dog poop just next to it (which I will clean up at some point when I get round to it). Even if I knew who the relevant dog-owner/s were, I like to keep my head down generally, so my ideal solution would be to just spray liberally onto the back gate some substance which would make the doggies decide that this was not a good area to use as their toilet. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a similar, I had already thought of posting here:

a) cats hugely dislike the smell of and will avoid

I've tried red pepper -- doesn't seem to work. Dogs must be kept confined or on leashes, but all the neighborhood cats seem to think my property is their toilet.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by Zoey:

a) dogs hugely dislike the smell of and will avoid

OK there are two elements to this: removing positive encouragements, and deterring. If possible you should remove the existing faeces and scrub the area clean. Then put down a deterrent product such as Get Off.

For a time you will need to be very diligent about removing new deposits, cleaning up and re-applying. In the end, hopefully, the dogs will get out of the habit of using your area for their activities and an occasional re-application of repellant should keep it that way. Good luck!

[ 30. September 2009, 16:55: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
On a similar, I had already thought of posting here:

a) cats hugely dislike the smell of and will avoid

I've tried red pepper -- doesn't seem to work. Dogs must be kept confined or on leashes, but all the neighborhood cats seem to think my property is their toilet.

Curry powder? it sort of worked for me once, as the cats walk on the grass it gets on their feet. But the trouble is is need reapplying after rain.

-------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
x2 what Bro James said.

The pepper powders just won't work very well. You'll need someting like what Bro James linked to. It should be easily found in any decent pet shop.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK foods section at my grocery store I saw two items I'm hoping y'all can identify for me. What are:

1. Devon custard (canned)
2. Ploughman's Pickle (jarred)

Also, what does HP sauce taste like? Any US product analogs?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Sorry, KenWritez: why not grab them things and try 'em out? Could be more fun for your taste buds than you think, and certainly more telling. [Smile]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ploughman's Pickle:
quote:
An old favourite made with carrots, cauliflower, gherkins, apple and tiny onions all coated with a dark spicy sauce and flavoured with fresh ginger, garlic and cloves. Delicious with mature cheese and crusty bread.
Mhhh...! [Yipee]

[ETA: Especially yummy as part of Ploughman's Lunch, see Wikipedia. Getting hungry now!]

[ 01. October 2009, 10:35: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

vascopyjama
Shipmate
# 1953

- Posted      Profile for vascopyjama   Email vascopyjama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helllllp. Australian TV is going if not gone digital. No problem I got a digital set top box. Which has worked fine for quite a few months. Then I lost one station and a quick retune would fix my woes. Inconvienient but managable. The picture would freeze and the dialogue would continue. again a quick retune and all was fine

I have been away for a few weeks. No TV. Cannot detect any stations at all. I can get a hazy pic on the few remaining analogue stations.

So is it my set top box or is it my antenna? If it is the antenna does the repair person need to see the television or can they just magically scale tall towers with a device and test the airwaves up there? (don't ask why ... ok don't laugh I have panic attacks when a stranger is in my home)
or do I just post more on the ship and get a bigger library????

--------------------
Behold the duck. The scent of a wet dog. The familiar ahh of your own bed. Things to ponder.

Posts: 298 | From: The Sea of Turbidity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have any friends or neighbors with a set-top box you could borrow for a few minutes? If so, try their box on your TV. If it all works fine, then it's probably your box. If it's the same with theirs as it is with yours, then it's probably the antenna or a loose connection between the TV, box, or antenna.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
In the UK foods section at my grocery store I saw two items I'm hoping y'all can identify for me. What are:

I'm with Wesley J just try them, but to help you, i will say pickle goes with cold meat, or chesse, often in a sandwich/ roll.

Devon Custard in my world is eaten by it's self [Biased] but also goes with any sponge type pudding, or tinned fruit.

enjoy [Smile]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the dog problem, I was led to believe that dogs hate the smell of citronella. I haven't tried it, but I think it's one of the ingredients in the deterrent sprays. I found tabasco sauce diluted in water was effective for things that Pooka wanted to eat (like the bbq cover) or lick (like the kitchen counter) but it would be of no use for helping her decide where to leave her precious steaming treasures.

Regarding Australian digital tv - there were big changes a month or so ago and some of the channels changed their number (eg. ABC2 is now 22 not 21) and stopped working on many sets, even when the correct number was requested. I fixed it by re-scanning for channels via the set-top box menu options.

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HP Sauce, or other brown sauces of that ilk, are slightly sweet and slightly spicy, no idea of US analogues at all. Try brown sauce with a fry up or where you would use ketchup/catsup. It is actually a little similar to the sauce in the Ploughman's Pickle.

Did the bottle you saw have text in French on one side? They seem to have stopped doing that on the ones in UK now.

Ploughman's Pickle is highly recommended with a sharp hard cheese.

I agree that Devon Custard can be eaten on its own but it is best with Rhubarb Crumble - now I'm hungry! I'm not really a fan of tinned custard preferring to use the instant mix when I can get folks to bring me some from Britain when they are visiting.

Devon Custard is probably not recommended for people with cholesterol problems, I have no doubt it has loads of the stuff floating around in there.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I asked this last year but I've forgotten what people said...

We now have central heating (wooo!) but I was wondering what temperature people tend to have it at? (More of a UK question I think?)

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Conventional wisdom is 20° but if you put it at 19 you'll save gas and not really feel the difference.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I'm sure I asked this last year but I've forgotten what people said...

We now have central heating (wooo!) but I was wondering what temperature people tend to have it at? (More of a UK question I think?)

You might find this Energy Saving Trust web page helpful. Actually the whole site is pretty good IMHO.
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
...You might find this Energy Saving Trust web page helpful. Actually the whole site is pretty good IMHO. [/QB]

I love this quote from the above page:

Work out how long it takes for your house to warm up and cool down on a cold day. If your house takes 20 minutes to warm up, set the heating to come on 20 minutes before you wake up in the morning. If it takes 40 minutes to cool down, set the heating to switch off 40 minutes before you leave the house.

If only I could! I have storage heaters, which heat up overnight. My home is at its hottest as I'm leaving for work in the morning but by the evening when I get home it's cooled right down. So annoying!

I was going to ask if anyone had an answer to this problem - but other than getting a whole new central heating system (which is out of the question) I don't think there is one.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Abigail

As a fellow storage heater user this is what I do.

1)Set the heaters so they release the heat as late as possible (there is a button for that on mine). It only means it does not get cold quite so quickly.

2)Have a back up heater and set it to supply the extra warmth needed in the morning and evening. I find with storage heaters I only need one back up heater in the whole flat even in the coldest weather. I do this by having a fairly efficient electric heat and a timer for the plug I plug it into.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jengie...

Unfortunately, although the storage heaters have switches that are supposed to control the rate at which the heat is released, they don’t seem to make much difference (if any!)

I have got a very good electric heater in my living room which I use when needed but it would be nice to have an efficient central heating system that I could control. Oh well!

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the switches or timers on the heaters are not working properly? Might be worth an electrician having a stare at them, which is a lot cheaper than a new central heating system??
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

I don’t think there’s anything that can be done – I think it’s just the way these particular heaters work. The “input” buttons are fine – I can have them on low or high (or anywhere in between) but the “output” buttons don’t make any difference whatever position they’re in. It’s always been the same and we got someone to check them when we first had them and we were assured that everything was working properly.

--------------------

Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
Thanks Jengie...

Unfortunately, although the storage heaters have switches that are supposed to control the rate at which the heat is released, they don’t seem to make much difference (if any!)

As a fellow storage heater user, I share your frustration, although I find the output control slightly more useful than you do. My storage heater incorporates a convection heater, which is expensive but can be used to top up the heating if necessary.

Basically the storage heater outputs heat slowly and continuously from the front surface of the ceramic bricks which are heated up at night by the electric coils. When you change the output controls to output more heat, a flap is opened at the top of the brick assembly, allowing air to pass behind the bricks, and thus releasing the heat more quickly.
The Dimplex Website gives a diagram of the inner workings of the heater which make this clearer than a verbal description, click on the "operating instructions" link to get the pdf, the diagram is on page two.

It isn't a very effective solution to evening heating but opening the flap usually makes some difference, albeit not always as much as I'd want. I don't see that there is a great deal of point in opening it partially, as the change in air flow must be minimal given the small dimensions of the flap.

Have you checked that your damper flap is working properly? I find I can often hear mine moving when I turn the output control fully, but you might want to ask a storage heater expert.

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Storage heaters? What's wrong - did you run out of mammoth dung to burn for warmth?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:

Well, I just checked in with this thread, so this is old news, but at a British products for US consumption site, they compared HP Sauce to A-1 Sauce.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016