homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a rather detailed question, but hopefully someone will have some insight...

Hubby and I are starting to think about starting a family, hopefully in the next year or so, and are wondering whether we should sign up for Aflac or similar for when I would be on maternity leave. There is only a limited period of time in which can sign up at a special rate which is why we're thinking ahead.

Has anyone had any experience here? Would you recommend it? Would we be just as well putting that money into a savings account?

Any advice gratefully received!

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Funny specs story: when I was in Seattle in 1998 the arm fell off one of my pairs of specs so I went into the optician I came to and held up the two pieces and the young woman said:

"Oh, you want a screw!"

How I wish I'd replied:

"Yes, but can you fix my specs first."

[Had it been a young man I might have said just that!]

The screw came out of on prescription sunglasses on one occasions and I popped into an opticians to get it sorted. The optician said

'Aah, I see the problem you've got a screw lose!'

Which is probably true too.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know who Wilda English is/was? I've come across a poem/blessing by them & would like to know more about the person.
The first line is:
"God grant you the light in Christmas, which is faith"
Thanks

--------------------
Less is more ...

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At dinner at a friend's house we were discussing fairtrade status and wondered, is fairtrade status given for one particular product produced by a company or does the company itself have to work ethically in order to gain that status? (no prizes for guessing the company we were talking about).

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
At dinner at a friend's house we were discussing fairtrade status and wondered, is fairtrade status given for one particular product produced by a company or does the company itself have to work ethically in order to gain that status? (no prizes for guessing the company we were talking about).

From what I understand, the ethical company in a fairtrade product is the one which provides the goods which the manufacturer buys and produces their item with. So long as the manufacturer is ethical about the producers, and pays them right and ensures the producers behave themselves the product is fairtrade. The manufacturer can still have child slaves toiling away on the rest of their range, which will not be fairtrade (yes, I know it stinks).

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Fairtrade Foundation licenses fairtrade goods. The information on the Fairtrade Mark states that it's related to that product.

As an aside, one of the irritations of the charities and companies that have gone into fairtrade from the beginning, is that they've invested 10 years work into the supply chains, product development and supporting the producer groups. Large corporations now coming along are using all that investment without putting any investment in, whether it's on the stores' on label products or it's on the one fairtrade product a multinational produces. I went to the conference in October, and this was being said by people like Divine Chocolate and the guy who'd just moved across from Traidcraft.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why I think of that particular brand of Fairtrade of coffee as 'Hitler's kosher range'.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
monkeylizard: I burn all (well, not THOSE pictures, but all the others) of mine to a DVD about once or twice a year and take that DVD to the bank and put it in my deposit box.
My brother (who knows about these things) doesn't trust DVD's to hold their data after a longer time period, say 10+ years. I usually make sure that I have printed copies of the most important pictures.
The biggest problem is that DVD will eventually become obsolete. My annual photo burn is cummulative, not just those of the past year. So each disc replaces last year's disc in the vault. Once a better alternative to DVD comes out, I'll start using that. Flash USB drives are a possibility. I've been considering a 1 or 1.5 TB external drive for this instead of DVD. That way I can add in all my iTunes music too. The downside is that it's a piece or hardware that can break. DVD or Flash won't just "go bad" like a drive can.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best way to preserve any data for the long term is the same as the best way to preserve genetics: make lots of copies, in as many different niches as possible.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
DVD or Flash won't just "go bad" like a drive can.

On the contrary, DVD and CD media do go bad. The plastic base is susceptible to degradation over time. The metal foil, into which the information is encoded, is highly sensitive to heat. Even supposing the format did not go obsolete, not a choice of storage for the ages.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But what is a choice of storage for the ages, aside from, groovy vinyl (for sound recordings), acid-free film (for video recordings), and acid-free paper (for words)?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not certain there is one for digital information, MT.
This article contains a nice overview.
Multiple copies, constantly updated to new media and formats. No more store and forget, I'm afraid.

[ 13. November 2009, 16:52: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had indeed forgotten about the very long-term degradation of disc media. High quality media is expected to last between 50 and 200 years (YMMV). I sure hope we have better than DVD in the next 50 years.

And from what I can gather, Flash memory typically has 10,000 erase/write cycles. If you rewrite every bit of flash unit every day, the memory will last 27 years.

My annual or semi-annual replacement certainly overcomes this. As cheap as they are, there's no good reason to risk losing data over the price of a disc.

[ 13. November 2009, 17:18: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Now that we're on the subject, does anyone have any experience with special archival discs like the ones in the link?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I had indeed forgotten about the very long-term degradation of disc media. High quality media is expected to last between 50 and 200 years (YMMV). I sure hope we have better than DVD in the next 50 years.

Problem is, there exists no standard for testing longevity. Manufacturer's claims might be biased. And there are no real time data, obviously.
quote:

And from what I can gather, Flash memory typically has 10,000 erase/write cycles. If you rewrite every bit of flash unit every day, the memory will last 27 years.

What is the shelf life of the material from which it is made?
quote:

My annual or semi-annual replacement certainly overcomes this. As cheap as they are, there's no good reason to risk losing data over the price of a disc.

My strategy as well.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now that we're on the subject, does anyone have any experience with special archival discs like the ones in the link?

Speaking as an archivist, digital preservation makes me wish to hide. But I digress. The claims on those discs that they will last 200 years are all very well, but in 200 years, how will the archivists of the future know what's on them? It's already harder for me to find out what's on a disc from a decade ago than it is to read a 15th century document. So, put all your data on the disc if you want, but find some way of ensuring you'll be able to read it in a few years. At the moment, I suspect regular migration is the best idea, until such time as someone comes up with a better one. And that is the techies job, not mine (thankfully, I have enough problems with preservation!)
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was fortunate enough to find a nice big piece of smoked salmon on sale. It is in a vacuum-sealed pouch and is supposed to keep until 2015 as long as the pouch remains sealed. My question is how do I store it after I have opened the pouch?

I plan to eat it a little bit at a time until it's gone. Should I divide it into serving-size pieces and store them in the freezer? Or what?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was planning to reseal the bath today but when I pulled off the sealant, I dislodged a tile and discovered that a (thankfully small) panel of the bathroom wall is full of mouldy plaster and the tiles are pulling away from it.

Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive way of repairing this? I don't think we have enough money saved to pay a professional to do it, but the level of DIY-ability involved puts me off attempting it myself! [Help]

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Should I divide it into serving-size pieces and store them in the freezer? Or what?

Moo

This article gives detailed instructions for freezing smoked salmon. The main thing seems to be insulating it well.

Even opened, it does keep for quite a time in the fridge. Perhaps you could just pig out on scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, quiche with smoked salmon, smoked salmon rissotto, smoked salmon pizza...

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
It's already harder for me to find out what's on a disc from a decade ago than it is to read a 15th century document.

Really? What sort of disk is that then? Unless it was some kind of weird special-purpose one-off, not a lot has changed since then.

Thirty years, maybe even twenty (though you could easily find someone to look at any common format from twenty years ago) but ten?

quote:

At the moment, I suspect regular migration is the best idea, until such time as someone comes up with a better one.

There is no better one. The reason digital storage works is the the massive redundancy involved, not anything to do with the media.

Everything is copied, cached, and backed-up all over the place. The words we write now will probably last as long as our civilisation.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guinness girl:
I was planning to reseal the bath today but when I pulled off the sealant, I dislodged a tile and discovered that a (thankfully small) panel of the bathroom wall is full of mouldy plaster and the tiles are pulling away from it.

Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive way of repairing this? I don't think we have enough money saved to pay a professional to do it, but the level of DIY-ability involved puts me off attempting it myself! [Help]

Not sure if this will help, but when we tiled our bathroom, we painted the wall with pvc glue first to keep the wet from going through the plasterboard. So maybe, remove the tiles, allow to dry out, chip off mould, seal the wall, replace the tiles (that'll be tricky if you break them) and then grout and seal well.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to have my entire bath/shower redone a couple of years ago for much the same reason. There is a product ("Kilz" in the U.S.) that kills the mildew and prevents it from coming back. It's painted on like a primer before painting or tiling. But my wall needed to dry for several days before retiling, mostly to be sure that all the damp and mildew were gone -- and I live in an arid climate.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
It's already harder for me to find out what's on a disc from a decade ago than it is to read a 15th century document.

Really? What sort of disk is that then? Unless it was some kind of weird special-purpose one-off, not a lot has changed since then.

Thirty years, maybe even twenty (though you could easily find someone to look at any common format from twenty years ago) but ten?

The PCs we have for public use don't have disk drives and some of the office ones don't either. They do have CD drives, but that's not much use when dealing with a floppy...

[fixed code]

[ 22. November 2009, 21:50: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes but you could buy one for ten or fifteen quid!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Not on our work budget you can't...
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do humans have to wipe their arses but other animals don't?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because, unlike cats, we can't lick 'em clean?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about dogs and other mammals then? I suspect it's something to do with not having splayed buttocks but it does seem to be something of an evolutionary handicap...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's an evolutionary trade off for bipedal locomotion?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Leaving your non-pedal forelimbs free to wipe? I suppose so...

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've come across a Frenchwoman called "Engineer Bondin" in the 1871 census, working as a teacher of French. Was "Engineer" actually a French Christian name? What other name could it be? Can "Eugenie" be pronounced in such a way that it could be transcribed as "Engineer" ? Thoughts?

Matt, cows etc can't wipe their rear ends, but the primary function of their tails is to flick flies away from the resulting unpleasant state of aforesaid rear ends. I think there's some sort of evolutionary thing going on there (she said vaguely)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Leaving your non-pedal forelimbs free to wipe? I suppose so...

The advantages of walking upright (see greater distances, ability to carry things while walking, ability to run faster, etc) out weigh the disadvantage of a soiled bum. We seem to have adapted well enough.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interrupting the discussion on bum shapes...

Does anyone here take the Sunday Times? The Smudgelet wanted to buy it at the weekend because there was a CD of a group he likes, but he decided against spending his money when push came to shove (I'm not saying he's tight with money, but.... ).
So, the question is, does anyone know what group it was because my sister would quite like to buy him a CD of their music for Christmas. I'm afraid I wasn't paying attention at the time.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems a bit old school / Britpop for a 12 year-old to me, but from the Times website it looks like it might have been Blur.

ps - if you're really lucky a Times reader who doesn't like Blur will be reading this thread and will offer to send you their freebie CD for the Smudgelet - or, are you on your local Freecycle/Freegle? - you could posted a wanted email on there asking if any local Times readers don't want their freebie Blur CD and would let you take it off their hands for Smudgelet.

[ 24. November 2009, 17:13: Message edited by: Zoey ]

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Thank you so much - yes, it was Blur.
Thank goodness it was something I don't mind being forced to listen to (though not my first choice of background music). And would you believe it, we went to Bible Study at my friend's house this evening and she not only takes the Sunday Times, but also has nobody in the family who likes Blur. Cue one happy boy and a sister who now has to think of something else to buy for him!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moved from closed thread -

quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
An old lady hugged me at church before I could move around to do the "side hug" thing, and got makeup on the shoulder of my white alb. It's a cotton-poly mix (don't ask, it was a gift). How do I remove it, with a minimum of expense?

Go at it, you launderers.

[ 25. November 2009, 14:11: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's his story and he's sticking to it? [Disappointed]

No advice, sorry.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
This is a rather detailed question, but hopefully someone will have some insight...

Hubby and I are starting to think about starting a family, hopefully in the next year or so, and are wondering whether we should sign up for Aflac or similar for when I would be on maternity leave. There is only a limited period of time in which can sign up at a special rate which is why we're thinking ahead.

Has anyone had any experience here? Would you recommend it? Would we be just as well putting that money into a savings account?

Any advice gratefully received!

Sorry, have no direct experience. Those I know who pay for supplemental insurance have not, thankfully, had to use it. I did a search and here is the most balanced report I have found. Not much, I am afraid.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I've come across a Frenchwoman called "Engineer Bondin" in the 1871 census, working as a teacher of French. Was "Engineer" actually a French Christian name? What other name could it be? Can "Eugenie" be pronounced in such a way that it could be transcribed as "Engineer" ? Thoughts?

I'm currently doing a course on family history and have been learning about inaccurate transcriptions all along the line. The householder had to fill in a form which the enumerator then copied into his Census Enumerator's Book - so it wouldn't surprise me if someone with no knowledge of French names made a wild guess at what had been written (could apply to her family name, too). I've been looking at copies of entries in the CEBs for my course and struggling with the names myself... (and then when you do the bit about the years when ages were rounded up or down - officially, that is - you start to despair) [Eek!]

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Cue one happy boy and a sister who now has to think of something else to buy for him!

An actual album by Blur might still be a good Christmas gift for Smudgelet. My experience is limited, but I think that CDs given away free with newspapers are often significantly shorter than a full album and also might have one of the artist's big hits, together with a load of b-sides, re-mixes and slightly shoddy second-rate tracks. You could sneak a look at the track listing on the free CD and then compare the track listings of Blur's full albums on Amazon, perhaps, to work out whether Smudgelet would like to have a full album as well as one of his Christmas presents?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

quote:
Originally posted by Melangell:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

I'm currently doing a course on family history and have been learning about inaccurate transcriptions all along the line. The householder had to fill in a form which the enumerator then copied into his Census Enumerator's Book - so it wouldn't surprise me if someone with no knowledge of French names made a wild guess at what had been written (could apply to her family name, too). I've been looking at copies of entries in the CEBs for my course and struggling with the names myself... (and then when you do the bit about the years when ages were rounded up or down - officially, that is - you start to despair) [Eek!]
I'm pretty sure in 1871 the enumerator was going round the doors to get the answers, so it's probably a mishearing rather than a misreading. Plus if Eugenie wasn't the householder, it's possible she wasn't the person giving the answers, so then you have mispronunciation as well as mishearing to contend with. One of the interesting things about the 1911 census is that it's meant to be the first one where the householders did it all themselves - hence more likely to have the spelling of names the way the family did it, rather than how someone else thought it should be spelt!
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the difference between a grove and an orchard?
Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Moved from closed thread -

quote:
An old lady hugged me at church before I could move around to do the "side hug" thing, and got makeup on the shoulder of my white alb. It's a cotton-poly mix (don't ask, it was a gift). How do I remove it, with a minimum of expense?

Go at it, you launderers.
Cotton-poly mix should be pretty simple. I'd make a solution of a small amount of laundry detergent, all-color bleach (the kind with peroxide in it, usually called Oxy-something), and water. Wet the area then dab and scrub, rinse clean. Use lukewarm water. Maybe even spray pre-treatment on the spot.

If there was a lot of moisturizer in her makeup, the spot may be somewhat oily and I've had GREAT luck with dishwashing liquid and water. Just pour a little on the spot, rub it in, and rinse (lukewarm water).

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
Cotton-poly mix should be pretty simple. I'd make a solution of a small amount of laundry detergent, all-color bleach (the kind with peroxide in it, usually called Oxy-something), and water. Wet the area then dab and scrub, rinse clean. Use lukewarm water. Maybe even spray pre-treatment on the spot.

If there was a lot of moisturizer in her makeup, the spot may be somewhat oily and I've had GREAT luck with dishwashing liquid and water. Just pour a little on the spot, rub it in, and rinse (lukewarm water).

Thank you, I'll try that. I think what I got on me was just powder (probably Mary Kay to be exact), but I want to make sure I don't kill my alb.

One question... I happen to have a bottle of Spray-N-Wash. Is that ok, or do I need to keep it as far away as possible?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere on the Web there is a very funny letter, written to a broadcaster who had denounced homosexuality on the grounds of Leviticus. The letter asks about selling daughters into slavery, and stoning people for working on the Sabbath. Does anyone know where I can find it?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Google is your friend. A quick search on "letter homosexuality leviticus stone daughter" turned up hundreds of links. This from Snopes gives a little background as well as the letter in full.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
[qb]Cotton-poly mix should be pretty simple. I'd make a solution of a small amount of laundry detergent, all-color bleach (the kind with peroxide in it, usually called Oxy-something), and water. Wet the area then dab and scrub, rinse clean. Use lukewarm water. Maybe even spray pre-treatment on the spot.

Thank you, I'll try that. I think what I got on me was just powder (probably Mary Kay to be exact), but I want to make sure I don't kill my alb.

One question... I happen to have a bottle of Spray-N-Wash. Is that ok, or do I need to keep it as far away as possible?

Spray N Wash ought to be fine on poly-cotton. (sorry for the delay in answering... it's Saturday and you probably need it for tomorrow!)_

on edit: By the way, powder should be very easy to wash off.

[ 28. November 2009, 14:09: Message edited by: Angel Wrestler ]

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

OK, sticking in the general buttock region but moving on ever-so-slightly, I have a question re Latin-origin anatomical terms: some at least seem to have no link whatsoever between their original meanings and the parts of the anatomy which they now describe. Vagina (sheath) I can understand but anus (old woman) - wtf? If someone could enlighten me as to how old ladies became arseholes (no jokes please!), I'd be very grateful, weirdo that I evidently am!

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Latin anus -i=ring. Where did you get 'old woman' from?
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Somewhere on the Web there is a very funny letter, written to a broadcaster who had denounced homosexuality on the grounds of Leviticus. The letter asks about selling daughters into slavery, and stoning people for working on the Sabbath. Does anyone know where I can find it?

An early episode of the West Wing dealt with this, with the President confronting a belligerent fundie along the same lines.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016