homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Latin anus -i=ring. Where did you get 'old woman' from?

Latin O-Level lesson. Now I'm really [Confused]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Google is your friend. A quick search on "letter homosexuality leviticus stone daughter" turned up hundreds of links. This from Snopes gives a little background as well as the letter in full.

And the West Wing version is here. Even funnier, in my opinion, because of the killer punch-line:
quote:
One last thing: While you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. Wikipedia has the answer: there are two Latin anuses. One, second declension = 'ring, circle'; the other is fourth declension and = 'old woman, crone'.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
What's the difference between a grove and an orchard?

Just off the top of my head, I would say that a grove is a bunch of random trees, whereas an orchard is an intentionally arranged set of one species of fruit trees, usually in rows to make it easier to harvest.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
What's the difference between a grove and an orchard?

Just off the top of my head, I would say that a grove is a bunch of random trees, whereas an orchard is an intentionally arranged set of one species of fruit trees, usually in rows to make it easier to harvest.
Pretty close. A grove is any small stand of trees lacking undergrowth. It can be planted or wild, in rows or random, and it may or may not be used for growing fruit/nuts.

An orchard is a stand of trees of any size that is specifically for growing fruits/nuts. It can be planted or wild, in rows or random, but it is always used for growing fruit/nuts.

A small orchard is a grove, but a large orchard is not. A grove of non fruit/nut bearing trees is not an orchard, even if it's planted in neat rows (like a small Christmas tree farm).

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any evidence to back my suspicion that going to an area with different water - eg from a soft water area to a hard water area, or vice versa - can affect diabetes?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although difficult to find the answer seems to actually be yes:

quote:
From WHO Meeting of Experts on the Possible Protective Effect of Hard Water Against Cardiovascular Disease

Insulin resistance
Insulin resistance is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus, the prevalence of which is escalating with the rise in obesity worldwide. Dietary calcium may be implicated in the etiology of insulin resistance through the fluctuations in calcium-regulating hormones in states of calcium sufficiency and deficiency. This is an area of active research; thus, it is premature to use such a clinical outcome as the basis for deriving recommendations for dietary intake of calcium.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know anything about telescopes? Daughter (10) wants one for Christmas. I was thinking about this one:

Skywatcher Astrolux

Its had good reviews...

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loveheart:
Does anyone know anything about telescopes? Daughter (10) wants one for Christmas. I was thinking about this one:

Skywatcher Astrolux

Its had good reviews...

You might take a look at this article from Sky and Telescope magazine. Some good ideas there...
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I cook with alcohol if I'm feeding (small amounts) of the finished thing to my child? I'm talking about a slosh in a pasta sauce or similar that is then cooked for a while on the stove.

I take it most of the alcohol would be cooked off but is there other nasties or a reason I shouldn't cook with it?!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty certain there are no nasties.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a number of European countries which use wine fairly freely in their cuisine - eg France, Spain, Italy. Are their weans OK?

[ 06. December 2009, 19:28: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It used to be not unknown to add a drop of whisky to baby's last bottle of the day, in the belief that it helped them sleep, and a drop of whisky on a parental finger rubbed onto baby's gums was used for teething (whisky being the miracle default cure-all for ..well.. just about anything, really). And there's tiny amounts of alcohol in gripe water, so I think you'd be fine.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugal's mum admits to having used tiny amounts of brandy on his dummy, and then later whisky on his sister's.

Neither of them have turned out alcoholics - but he likes brandy and she likes whisky, so obviously something stuck!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told to drink stout when I was breast feeding to help with the anaemia*, amongst other things like eating liver, after giving birth. I managed to work out a way of timing my can of stout to put the baby to sleep, and she's fairly hale and hearty.

* I lost a lot of blood through complications and although they were expecting it someone had had complications from a blood transfusion the week before, so lucky me, I got iron tablets.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Can I cook with alcohol if I'm feeding (small amounts) of the finished thing to my child? I'm talking about a slosh in a pasta sauce or similar that is then cooked for a while on the stove.

I take it most of the alcohol would be cooked off but is there other nasties or a reason I shouldn't cook with it?!

Not as far as I know. The majority of alcohol gets cooked down. Having said that I have worked with women who have drunk consistently through their pregnancies and most of their babies are fine (not that I would recommend it you understand!!) A slosh of wine is unlikely to do any harm I would think.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
... wondering whether we should sign up for Aflac or similar for when I would be on maternity leave. There is only a limited period of time in which can sign up at a special rate which is why we're thinking ahead... Would you recommend it? Would we be just as well putting that money into a savings account?

I have AFLAC for dental care and cancer treatment. So far thank God there's been no need for the cancer policy.

What the dental does for me is this -- I have a dental policy, there are negotiated discounts involved, and portions that are my responsibility to pay after the policy does whatever it's going to do. When I get a bill, I pay it, and send a copy to my AFLAC agent. He sends me a reimbursement check for that amount.

At least for me, that has been worthwhile.

But when you think in terms of setting money aside and maybe earning a little interest, I could accomplish the same sort of thing with savings, at least as far as the few hundred dollars involved.

What's really going to be a Godsend is the cancer expense reimbursement that I hope never to need, if I ever need it.

Look at the $$$ you'd have to spend to get the AFLAC policy, how you'd be paying; look at money you'd likely have to shell out for maternity needs, what would be covered and what not.

Did your deadline for this pass already? [Smile]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone recommend a book of beautiful arrangements of Christmas carols for piano? I've got various versions but all are fairly simple and "designed" for accompanying singing.

Does anyone know of anything a bit more challenging? I love the tunes but if I'm playing for pleasure (i.e. in the privacy of my own living room!) rather than with singers It'd be great to have something with a bit more oomph. I've had a look through musicroom.com and forwoods.com but can't seem to find the right thing.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
Can anyone recommend a book of beautiful arrangements of Christmas carols for piano?

How can there be? Carols (Christmas or otherwise) are essentially a late mediaeval/early modern form. They want recorders or whistles or flagepolets if they want instruments at all. Crumhorns. Rebecs. Shawms. Tabors. Organs, if arranged by JS Bach. Or even his mythical grandnephew PDQ. Harpsichords and continuo at the most extreme. Maybe acoustic guitars, just. Lutes would be better. Cellos, just, but viols are more appropriate.

Pianos are the quintessential late modern instrument. A product of the Industrial Revolution (them and the brass band and the saxophone). They go with 19th century tub-thumping hymns and romantic rippling runs and jazz.

Carols on a piano is worse than Shine Jesus, Shine on an organ.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can anyone recommend a book of beautiful arrangements of Christmas carols for piano? I've got various versions but all are fairly simple and "designed" for accompanying singing.

Have you seen "Well Tempered Christmas" by Mark Hayes? It has some very nice arrangements, I think! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can anyone recommend a book of beautiful arrangements of Christmas carols for piano?

Beauty is in the eye ..erm... ear of the beholder. If you're looking for something fun and different, Harry Connick Jr's Christmas sheet music is available on musicroom.com

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone help me with a quote? I'm having trouble because I think I'm not quoting it exactly right and so Google, Bartleby, etc are no help. It's the one that's something like, "He became like us so that we could become like Him." Who said that? Augustine? Bonhoeffer? Lewis? Something I dreamed up?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita,

My Google-fu has come up with St. Athanasius, but if a passing patristics scholar happens by I'd be happy to be corrected.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, a question which has been on my mind for a week or so now (since before the schools broke up for Christmas, anyway).

When a zebra crossing also has a lollipop lady on it ... sorry, "School crossing patrol".... which takes precedence: i.e. if the lollipop lady has a bunch of kids with her and is not allowing them across the road yet, and an adult walks on the other side of the road and looks as though they are about to cross on the zebra crossing (but isn't quite ready to step out), should I keep driving or stop to let her (and, consequentally, the children)cross?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told by my driving instructer that you should always stop for people on a zebra crossing - they have the right of way.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Hare today
Shipmate
# 12974

- Posted      Profile for Hare today     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once a pedestrian has put a foot onto a zebra crossing they have right of way, no matter how little chance the vehicle has of stopping and even if a crossing patrol is stopping children from crossing from the other side.. They do not have right of way just because they look as though they are going to step onto the crossing though common sense suggests that it might be a good idea to stop.

[ 23. December 2009, 22:52: Message edited by: Hare today ]

--------------------
Ht

Come let us sing of a wonderful love (1933 MHB No 314)

Posts: 401 | From: Middle England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Mamacita,

My Google-fu has come up with St. Athanasius, but if a passing patristics scholar happens by I'd be happy to be corrected.

Thanks, Leaf. It looks like an interesting article which I will have to read after Christmas. A quick glance shows that the writer also quotes Augustine and Athanasius saying similar things. Hmmmm.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the great fashionable attraction in adding chilli to every pre-prepared dish?

I bought some 'nice' venison meat balls from our Farmers Market as something special for my little Christmas-Dinner-for-one, with Cumberland sauce. No prior warning from the main label, but the first mouthful took the top of my mouth off. [Mad] Buried in the small print was the chilli that I hadn't thought to check for.

Why spoil a perfectly good Olde Englishe dish?
And my Christmas Dinner. [Mad]
Why?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I knew - it's driving me mad. Even Starman, who loves chilli, doesn't want hidden chilli in places where chilli shouldn't go.

And cracked black pepper - yeuch - it's in everything, and it's all I can taste. Preprepared food is as good as off-limits for me these days.

I hope you can find something delicious for Boxing day.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no! My clever posting is ruined [Hot and Hormonal]

... there I was about to say that if you don't like chili (a few people are allergic to it & it can have a sort of bitter taste as well as the general hotness, especially when overcooked) the thing to go for is black pepper. Not only the hotness but also a beautiful aromatic smell, especially when freshly broken. The dust-like stuff you buy as a powder isn't worth it, always buy whole grains and grind them - after all its cheaper as well as nicer. Chili really took off in Asian and European food in the 18th & 19th centuries as a cheap alternative to pepper.

... but then you said you didn't like black pepper either and spoiled it all! [Biased]

I can't say I've ever noticed an excess of chili in everything. There is sometimes more than I like in West African and Caribbean food where it is of course appropriate and expected, just not what I'm used to. (pepper soup!) And also of course in the silly curries at the bottom of the menu in cheap Indian restaurants - which are deliberately put there to satisfy drunk customers who want to take the piss out of each other by daring each other to eat hotter and hotter food.

But most pre-packaged or pre-cooked supermarket food, like sausages or whatever, is underspiced if anything.

Is this another national or cultural thing? I've noticed that Brits in general like food both spicier and less sweet than Americans do.

And I just remembered I have a red Hungarian paprika sausage in the kitchen. Yum!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed in the comment sections of cooking sites, a lot of recipes come in for judgments of "too bland" if they don't put in something pungent. I think modern cooking has lost some of its subtlety and variety. Everything really doesn't need chile, hot mustard, curry powder, or tons of pepper or garlic to taste good. Sometimes I'd just like some semblance of the taste of the main ingredient to shine through. And this is spoken by someone who adores Mexican and Indian food.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think part of the reason that food these days is so bland is the health-officionados telling us that we have to not use salt in anything, and minimize fat. Salt and fat bring out the flavors of other foods to a great extent. Use too much salt and all you taste is the salt. But if you use too little, then you don't taste the other flavors as much as you should.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
I was told by my driving instructer that you should always stop for people on a zebra crossing - they have the right of way.

Latest legislation here (Aotearoa-New Zealand)is that if you see someone about to step on to a zebra crossing you must stop for them, whether they are on your side of the road or the other side.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. Officially. We arrived complete with kuruman's beloved Micra just under three years ago. Diving said Micra I stopped for a pedestrian, carrying flowers, approaching from my right on the crossing - taking extra care as he was clearly intellectually handicapped. Woman in car behind - some 70 metres behind, texting. Bang.

• One surprised pedestrian. Unhurt, does not break stride in his mission with flowers.
  • One distressed daughter unit with mild whiplash.
  • One pissed off me, because despite no fault finding, my 30+ year accident-free driving record was tarnished.
  • One written off Micra.
  • One written off Holden.

The approach to the rule in NZ remains ad hoc.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I think part of the reason that food these days is so bland is the health-officionados telling us that we have to not use salt in anything, and minimize fat. Salt and fat bring out the flavors of other foods to a great extent. Use too much salt and all you taste is the salt. But if you use too little, then you don't taste the other flavors as much as you should.

Yeah that bugs me. I find that a small amount of kosher salt, added during cooking, is much more helpful than the larger amount of table salt added at the table. For starters, I use less salt that way. Second, it has time to fully dissolve into the food, which gives more flavor with less salt. Doesn't take much, but the results are fantastic.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At symphony hall last night I saw this organ, what are the pipes that stick out horizontally in the middle like an exhaust ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Think²

They are Chamade trumpets, a powerful trumpet stop (or in this case two stops).

Chamade trumpets

They are listed in the Symphony Hall organ specification here:

Manual IV

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My most frequently used non stick saucepan, which I usually use for cooking vegetables, has developed a brownish residue on the inside. I am a bit reluctant to attack it with anything too abrasive in case I damage the surface. Can anyone recommend anything?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two thoughts for cleaning pans:
  1. boil some biological washing powder up in it - makes the house stink but it can work;
  2. make porridge in it - may well put you off porridge for a very long time, if not for ever, seeing how well it stain removes pans.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for the Ship's train aficionados:

I quite often see freight trains passing through Oxford and have been wondering where they might start (Southampton?) and where they go. I know there's a depot just outside Birmingham, but there must be others between there and the south coast, and I haven't managed to find out anything on the internet.

Also I'd be interested to know what they carry in these mysterious, enigmatic containers that rarely give any clues. Surely there must be some kind of timetable that could tell you to expect the 7.32 from X to Y, butting down the railway tracks in the mad March days, carrying a cargo of Tyne coal, road rails, pig lead, etc etc...?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oft in the stilly night I hear very slow trains creaking past on what was formally a suburban passenger line, but is now only freight. It runs at the foot of the road, in a deep cutting, between the houses.

I believe it's the nuclear waste from Torness.

Any power stations in your vicinity?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All freight trains run to timetables, although these are complicated - e.g. some trains only run on certain days, others only "as required" etc. For instance our local nuclear waste train to/from Sizewell only runs on Thursday mornings.

You can get hold of them on the website www.freightmaster.net but I'm afraid it is a subscription-only site. However, there are some demo. tables you can look at, to give you the idea.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, the Freightmaster.net site is a reasonable one, but about £80 for a subscription for a year. Cheaper if you only subscribe for a wee while. Whether the containers actually do contain what it says they should is debatable, of course. Generally you won't find many timetables that say "7.45am Reading to Birmingham 23 containers nuclear waste from AWE Aldermaston" for example [Big Grin] .
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baptist Trainfan - thank you for the interesting and helpful info - this has filled in most of the gaps!

Firenze - Oxfordshire does have Didcot Power Station, but it's coal-powered and has its own rail line.

We get a variety of different freight trains in the area, which as often as not hold up the passenger trains I'm waiting for. Most are extremely long with a lot of containers in the colours of various shipping companies, jumbled up together. Some are enigmatic, dark-coloured railway carriages with no windows. Others are tankers of some sort labelled with warnings about inflammability. Then there are the obvious ones with railway equipment, replacement tracks, or new cars, etc, and if you pass through Didcot, you may see ones with Army tanks and jeeps, in camouflage colours.

I hadn't realized just how many different sorts of non-passenger train there were until I started commuting.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "enigmatic" carriages with no windows, if they are bright yellow, might be part of a train which surveys and checks the tracks. If they have flat roofs and grilles over the windows, they are part of a train used for looking after overhead power lines.

Or they could contain bits and pieces which go out with the breakdown train. Or they could simply be old carriages hooked onto an engine that's been repaired and needs testing before going back into service. Or they are stores vans which, like your garden shed, go nowhere.

But most likely they are "barrier" vehicles - many modern trains are permanently coupled together in sets and don't have ordinary couplings at the ends. Consequently, if they have to be towed by an ordinary locomotive (for maintenance or repair), they need a barrier vehicle in-between to "bridge the gap". It's like, when I was a boy, having a model coach with a Hornby coupling at one end and a Tri-ang one at the other!

In any case, they are almost certainly not revenue-earning vehicles, but used for the railway's own business. Mind you, back in the late 60s there were rather similar carriages (but smarter) that were used for carrying bullion - introduced after the Great Train Robbery I think!

This is now sounding seriously nerdy so I shall rest my case before being shifted to the SoF Railway Enthusiasts' thread!

PS We have rumbling freight trains at night too - to and from Felixstowe docks.

[ 29. December 2009, 08:31: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
  1. boil some biological washing powder up in it - makes the house stink but it can work;
  2. make porridge in it - may well put you off porridge for a very long time, if not for ever, seeing how well it stain removes pans.

Thanks, I'll try (1). I don't need anything at all to put me off porridge - can't stand the stuff.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

That seems to have worked fairly well, though it will need a second soaking overnight to get rid of the worst bits. Thanks a lot!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
[...] if you pass through Didcot, you may see ones with Army tanks and jeeps, in camouflage colours.[/b]

They're not very well camouflaged if you can see them, innit. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, bear with me:

You are engrossed in an activity involving studying a variety of patterns-- say, learning typing, or chess, or a spatially- complicated video game. Or even just going on an extensive drive.(most recent encounter of the following was my sis and neph recounting their shared experience the day after their mutual hours- long video-game binge.)

In moments of deep relaxation, or even just at odd waking moments throughout the day, you get a "vision" of the patterns, without calling them up. As if your brain is still working them out even though you're not currently occupied with them.

I have discussed this phenomena with a few people and while they all say they know what I'm talking about, and that it has happened to them, nobody knows if there is a word for it. Is there?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Thanks, I'll try (1). I don't need anything at all to put me off porridge - can't stand the stuff.
Bicarb is a good cleaning agent for saucepans I find.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016