homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly--intuition.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Two thoughts for cleaning pans:
  1. boil some biological washing powder up in it - makes the house stink but it can work;
  2. make porridge in it - may well put you off porridge for a very long time, if not for ever, seeing how well it stain removes pans.

Thanks, I'll try (1). I don't need anything at all to put me off porridge - can't stand the stuff.
Bicarb is a good cleaning agent for saucepans I find.

Carys

And rhubarb. Try stewing some. And then think about what it does to your stomach lining. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Kelly--intuition.

Really?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
Can anyone recommend a book of beautiful arrangements of Christmas carols for piano? I've got various versions but all are fairly simple and "designed" for accompanying singing.

Have you seen "Well Tempered Christmas" by Mark Hayes? It has some very nice arrangements, I think! [Smile]
Tried to send you a message, jedijudy, but your PM box is full!

Was just going to say thank you for the recommendation of Mark Hayes' book - it arrived yesterday and is just what I was looking for!

Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so we have a steam steriliser for our baby-bottles.
the instructions say we should clean it out every so often with some Citric Acid.
We have a little bag of citric acid powder, does anyone know what sort of concentration of solution we should make up?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Can anyone recommend a book of beautiful arrangements of Christmas carols for piano? I've got various versions but all are fairly simple and "designed" for accompanying singing.

Have you seen "Well Tempered Christmas" by Mark Hayes? It has some very nice arrangements, I think! [Smile]
Tried to send you a message, jedijudy, but your PM box is full!

Was just going to say thank you for the recommendation of Mark Hayes' book - it arrived yesterday and is just what I was looking for!

Hen

Yay! [Big Grin] And Ooops!!! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Okay, so we have a steam steriliser for our baby-bottles.
the instructions say we should clean it out every so often with some Citric Acid.
We have a little bag of citric acid powder, does anyone know what sort of concentration of solution we should make up?

We have citric acid tablets here that are marketed for cleaning vaporisers. They'd be a max of 500-1000mg per tablet and the directions are one tablet in a full vaporiser (a couple of litres probably). This seems to be recommended for frequent/preventative use.

For cleaning things with lots of scale on them, 6-10% concentrations are bandied around.

So if there's nothing visible, it'd be reasonable to use a couple of teaspoonsful every once in a while. If it looks gross, then the 6-10% range is probably what you're aiming for.

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
having graduated as a chemist I should be able to sit down and use molecular wieghts etc to work out a weight of powder / volume of liquid concentration to use.
As it is, we'll probably just stick a teaspoon of powder in with the normal amount of liquid in an "empty" run.

[ 02. January 2010, 22:38: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally asked by NJA:

It seems the freezing weather is showing-up repairs in our roads as being poor quality or at least not the right materials for the current weather.
Can anyone explain how this is happening?

Step up, fluorescent-jacketed ones.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit difficult to tell, without seeing the particular distress.
Could be poor material choice:
  • 1. A "temporary" material as opposed to a permanent one.
    2. The material used may have a different degree of thermal expansion.

Could be poor application. If the surface is not properly prepared or the repair material is not applied at the proper temperature, etc., a proper bond may not form.

Could be that the pothole was patched, but the underlying problem was not addressed. A structural or design deficiency.
Or a combination of the above.

Roads are a particular problem. To construct and maintain them properly requires more money than most communities want/can afford to do at one go. Long term solutions take more time to implement and require a greater understanding of the process. However, short term measures cost more in the long term.

ETA: Hope than helps at least a little.

[ 04. January 2010, 20:40: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same freeze-thaw (water gets in small spaces, then expands upon freezing, causing mayhem, which just gets worse as you get repeated cycles) action that causes potholes is hard on patches. The problem is that a patch can rarely get as good a bond to the surrounding pavement as the pavement has within itself. So the interface between the patch and the original pavement is always going to be a weak point.

This can be exacerbated by just chucking your patch into the hole without cleaning up the edge first - ideally you want nice straight up-and-down sides, so you don't get a thin lip for water to get under and work at.

Plus the concerns lilBuddha mentioned.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember in February when we had very cold weather, this subject came up on the news - mainly to try to get small potholes repaired before they became gaping chasms.

The explanation given was that if the seal between the road and the repair or over the repair) isn't watertight, water seeps in during the day when the temperature is a little higher or the friction of the car tyres has liquefied the ice enough. Water then gets in all the nooks and crannies as is its wont. At night when the temperature drops, the water freezes and, as it does, it expands which forces the material of the road under the surface apart (water/ice is very good at that - think burst pipes). This makes more nooks and crannies for the next day's temperature cycle.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
. . .The explanation given . . . day's temperature cycle.

That fits.
What solution do colder countries such as Canada & Scandanavia have?

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
. . .The explanation given . . . day's temperature cycle.

That fits.
What solution do colder countries such as Canada & Scandanavia have?

Hip waders and good suspensions on the autos. And A535 for aching backs.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And lots of Federal money for road crews! (Especially if it means at least enough work on a Provincial job to qualify for the Federal employment insurance.)

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having moved from a house with a combination boiler to one with a hot water tank holding just enough for one bath or two short showers (as I have to keep reminding the Smudgelet!) got me wondering...

How does the hot water tank work? I know about how it heats the water, but as I sat there in the bathroom watching the water gradually filling the bath, I began to wonder how the tank tops up with cold water, because if it were to flow in like the water in the toilet cistern, for example, the coldness of the new water would rapidly turn the remaining hot water cooler. So if that's the case, the water coming from the tap should gradually decrease in temperature, especially if the boiler were off and you were using stored hot water. I needed a long soak in the bath to stop my mind running round and round in circles over this one!

And a second question, sort of related to the first. Is it true that boiling the kettle twice (in quick succession) makes your coffee stay hot for longer? I think it does - it certainly seems that way to me- but have been told that can't possibly be right because you're just bringing the water to the same temperature again.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hotwater tank draws off from the top and fills from the bottom as you draw off. There is minimal turbulence in the water, and the usual heat convection effects mean that the hot water stays at the top and the cold at the bottom. This means that you get the least possible mixing between the hot and the cold.

I don't know about your kettle question.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BroJames got the first question correct, I think.

As for the second question:
If you're removing the heated water from the kettle, then no - the water at a given pressure and temperature has as singular amount of heat energy per volume. However, if you're talking about leaving the water in the kettle, then it may well stay hot longer. This is because the kettle may be able to store more heat in its metal/ceramic construction if the heating mechanism is run repeatedly than if the cycle is run just once. Thus, the extra heat accumulated in the kettle may continue to transfer to the water it contains even after the heating cycle, keeping it hotter longer.

Of course, repeatedly heating a kettle may eventually get it so hot that something more unpleasant than slightly-more-rapidly-cooling water might happen.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... you get a "vision" of the patterns... your brain is still working them out even though you're not currently occupied with them... nobody knows if there is a word for it. Is there?

How 'bout "bleedthrough"? Your under-brain never intended to let you know it was still working things out. It was an accident. Someone wasn't guarding the portal. Heads will roll!

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Kelly--intuition.

Really?
Yes. At least, I've seen this in reverse, where intuition is defined as the result of just the process you describe. Makes sense to me--I don't think a correct intuition just falls out of the sky/is whispered by the Muses. Much more likely to be the result of some quiet corner of your brain carrying on thinking about it and finally reaching a RESULT!

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know the source of the following quotation (or swomething like it)?
quote:
Beneath these streets the fields lie sleeping
In my my mind it may have an association with Milton Keynes, but I'm not getting anywhere with Google.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two questions, if I may.

On Jan 6th I took my Christmas decorations down. However, I also added the wise men to my crib set. Is there a traditional date for putting the manger scene away?

Over the holidays I listened again to Messiah. Even as I enjoyed the music I was wondering why Handel chose to arrange the texts in the order he did. Does anyone know what his rationale was?

Many thanks, in anticipation.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A teenage friend of mine just had a sudden attack of pain and was rushed into A&E. They saw him straightaway and diagnosed kidney stones.

I have found various preventions on the web from drinking lemon juice, to avoiding acidity.

Does drinking tap water from a hard water area contribute to this? Or is it hereditary?

Anyone with any good prevention tips?

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
A teenage friend of mine just had a sudden attack of pain and was rushed into A&E. They saw him straightaway and diagnosed kidney stones.

I have found various preventions on the web from drinking lemon juice, to avoiding acidity.

Does drinking tap water from a hard water area contribute to this? Or is it hereditary?

Anyone with any good prevention tips?

NHS Direct has some useful information. It doesn't suggest hard water as a problem (and the wikipedia page for hard water doesn't mention it as a potential problem). However, NHS Direct does reckon you could be at risk if it runs in the family (so to speak), so with your friend it could be a hereditary thing. Dehydration seems a likely cause as well, which might be something to check.

Hope your friend's better soon - my Dad had it once and it sounded excruciating, he was up pretty much all night with it.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I have two questions, if I may.

On Jan 6th I took my Christmas decorations down. However, I also added the wise men to my crib set. Is there a traditional date for putting the manger scene away?

Over the holidays I listened again to Messiah. Even as I enjoyed the music I was wondering why Handel chose to arrange the texts in the order he did. Does anyone know what his rationale was?

Many thanks, in anticipation.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the second question, but the answer to the first is the feast of Candlemas or the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, which occurs on the 2nd February (40 days after Christmas). If the seasons of the church year are being followed, this is the end of the season of Epiphany, which marks the end of the 'greater' season of Christmas.

Hope this helps.

Aelred

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probiotics can reduce recurrence of kidney stones by up to 70% - but it has to be specific probiotics that deal with oxalates.

I have a condition that makes me susceptible to kidney stones, and I haven't had one since I started taking this probiotic - about 3 years ago. That proves nothing, of course, but if you'd like to know more, PM me (the specific details are written in very small pale green print on the label, and I can't find my reading glasses [Hot and Hormonal] ).

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

NJA, you/the family'd have to ask a good doctor, the kind that keeps up with his journals. I understand there's been a real turn-around in this field vis-a-vis what you should/should not eat, but I can't remember the details (other than something about no more low-calcium diets). And of course, IANAD (of that sort).

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Alred, that rings a very dim bell somewhere in the back of my mind.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Failed to post this last night. My recall of the Messiah is that Handel was not the lyricist. Indeed Wikipedia does agree with this and give a structure for the work

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a DVD recorder with built in Freeview box. Over the last couple of weeks it has been unable to receive just one channel - Virgin1 - the channel is either completly inaccessible or the picture is almost completely broken up with pixellation and the sound very broken up. Is it likely to be a problem with my box, my aerial or with the broadcast signal? I can't find any contact details on the Virgin website.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried retuning? That should fix the majority of problems like this.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it easy to copy tape-recording on to a CD? Lots of people don't have tape-ecorder players nowadays, and I do a relaxing tape with people, but I reckon I need to shift this to CD. What do I need to acquire? Are they expensive?

Or what is the CD recorder that we can have, not attached to computer? Just to take the words...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Have you tried retuning? That should fix the majority of problems like this.

Yes, that was the first thing I tried but it made no difference. All the other channels are fine too!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Is it easy to copy tape-recording on to a CD? Lots of people don't have tape-ecorder players nowadays, and I do a relaxing tape with people, but I reckon I need to shift this to CD. What do I need to acquire? Are they expensive?

Or what is the CD recorder that we can have, not attached to computer? Just to take the words...

Here is the instructions of getting a tape recording to CD using Audacity software (Freeware recording software).

You don't need anything really sophisticated, a 3.5mm male to male cable(but check tape player has 3.5mm output socket before you buy)* the ability to plug one end of that cable into an input sound slot (microphone slot) on a PC (maybe around the back) and to put the other end into the output (speakers) slot on the tape recorder. You make a recording of the tape tracks and then copy these to the CD on the machine.

If you just have a machine that can record CDs, then you technically just need the right sound cable, probably still 3.5mm to 3.5 mm but might be
any of the other sound cables. Then start tape and put CD recorder onto record and it should work.

Jengie

*Actually I suggest taking picture of the relative slots on the machine and going down to Maplin (or nearest shop that sells sound cables) and asking them which cable to buy.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(posting in parenting thread too - but thought this would get different people).

I'm unbelievably excited about going to visit family in Australia on Sunday, but now getting rather anxious about travelling and the heat.

* We have an 11 hour flight, 10 hour stop over and 7 hour flight. Any tips or hints? How do I keep 11 month old amused? Jet lag? Once we arrive can we convince her to sleep/not sleep??

* Heat... we have snow here. Melbourne has temperatures hotter than I think I've ever experienced. Do people still wear jeans/?!?! I assume not and I will have to buy something thinner... Do I cover Teacup up in long things to keep sun off or go around in a vest??

Thanks!!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Oz thread in A.S. may be a help too.

And at the risk of bringing down the wrath of some parents....have you ever tried Benadryl? It puts a lot of kids to sleep on planes. Of course, it's known to have the reverse effect on a small percentage. I don't know if 11mo. is too young for that or not.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
* Heat... we have snow here. Melbourne has temperatures hotter than I think I've ever experienced. Do people still wear jeans/?!?! I assume not and I will have to buy something thinner... Do I cover Teacup up in long things to keep sun off or go around in a vest??

Think heatwave. Then add a bit, to get to 43C or 109F. Remember what you wore in the last heatwave? It probably wasn't jeans, although you could pack some for airconditioned places or cooler environments. Light, loose clothing would be best.

Teacup will need light loose clothing too - heat rash is a possibility. I'd also suggest a little sun hat if you can find one, and taking a supply of water with you when out and about, partly to cool her down (wet wipes) and partly to give her a drink so she doesn't get dehydrated. Try not to let her overheat, getting off the plane will probably be like opening an oven door, and it'll take a little while to acclimatize. Keep her out of strong direct sunlight when you can, especially at midday.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I've been told that my cholesterol has gone high and I need to watch my intake of saturated fat, etc. I've got to go back for another set of blood tests in about a month. How long does it take before a change in diet affects your cholesterol level? Am I likely to see a change in a month?

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine was 6.0 one month and was down to 5.1 6 weeks later. I am persuaded that the 6.0 was a misreading. It was the oly time it has ever been that high.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Re Benadryl or anything else in babies--call your doctor, explain truthfully what you're wanting (something to make child sleep), and ask for advice. The worst that can happen is they tell you "no can do." The worst that can happen from going ahead on your own with medicating a child on a plane... Well, it's happened, and it wasn't pretty.

But with whatever time you have left, I'll suggest you set up a non-noisy sleepy time ritual. Find something you (from now on) ALWAYS do when it's time for her to sleep. Make sure it is something you can also do on a plane. Hopefully she'll have the association down well and deeply by the time you really need it on that plane, and something wonderful and Pavlovian will happen. Hey, can't hurt to try.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I've been told that my cholesterol has gone high and I need to watch my intake of saturated fat, etc. I've got to go back for another set of blood tests in about a month. How long does it take before a change in diet affects your cholesterol level? Am I likely to see a change in a month?

Like so many things, the answer is "it depends." If your high cholesterol is largely induced by diet, a better diet will help tremendously, and it can happen pretty quickly (although one month seems awfully fast; I'm getting tested every 3 months while my doctor and I try to get my cholesterol under control).

If your triglycerides were also high, sometimes cutting carbs will take both your triglycerides and your LDL down.

If you're like me and your high cholesterol is hereditary, diet will make very little, if any, difference.

There's more discussion of managing cholesterol, along with encouragement and support, on the "fat people are harder to kidnap" thread in All Saints.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly biretta waved languidly

Please ensure medical advice is neither sought nor given on this thread.

No-one has IMHO yet crossed the line, but this may serve as a gentle reminder to us all that we must not do so.

Gracias.

Zappa
Heavenly Host
Hostly Biretta spirals gracefully back to pile of junk on floor

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where does the practice of adding "-fu" to the end of a word or term, to indicate something like "ability to do/facility with doing", come from? You know, like "My Google-fu is bad" or "I can't cook, I have miserable kitchen-fu." ?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joe Bob Briggs used the term a lot in his drive-in movie critiques back in the 70's-- for instance, a girl fight was "bimbo-fu" and soebody wrestling with a swamp creature was "gator-fu" (from kung-fu, of course.) I always assumed when I saw it popping up elsewhere, that the users were Joe Bob fans.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Kelly said.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joe Bob?? Who knew?

The -fu suffix is pretty standard usage in some parts of geek-dom. I´ve used it for years, but never knew where it came from.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Joe Bob?? Who knew?

The -fu suffix is pretty standard usage in some parts of geek-dom. I´ve used it for years, but never knew where it came from.

Chinese originally. What I don't know is how it got here. I've never heard the Joe-Bob explanation before (but that's hardly surprising because I've never head of Joe-Bob)

If you asked me to guess I would have said that it came via Californian airhead Buddhism rather than through Kung Fu (though the "Fu" in Kung Fu is supposedly the same word - I have heard that it means something like "good" in English so can be used to mean "skilled" as well as "lucky"). From there to hippy student, and then on to the early hacker types, and then it broke out sometime in the 1990s.

But I have no evidence for that history, it just seems vaguely likely.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except "Fu" apparently doesn't mean skill - I got that wrong. If I can believe wikipedia in "kung fu" its the "kung" that means a skill or achievement and "fu" means "human being".

"So "kung fu" is "human achievement" and could refer to any great skill or performance, not just martial arts.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Joe Bob had a lot of self-created Franken-words he scattered throughout his writings. He also rated B-movies according to blood pint count and number of breasts shown.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

quote:
He also rated B-movies according to blood pint count and number of breasts shown.

Are there other reasons for watching B-movies?

Joe-Bob is a bit of an original MST3K.

[ 15. January 2010, 18:22: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016