homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:

Joe-Bob is a bit of an original MST3K.

Heh. [Big Grin]

Oh, what the hell, here's a quote from his review of 1991's Bikini Island:

quote:
Eight dead bodies. Six breasts. Rubber-hose strangling. Cliff plunge. Slow-motion body oil rubbing. Live mouse devoured by a snake. Gratuitous volleyball. Kung Fu. Bimbo Fu. Plunger Fu. Drive-In Academy Award nominations for Seth Thomas, as the tough-talking magazine owner, for saying "I want those girls in the magazine, not in your bed!";

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for the Americans. What is Memorial Day all about? Does everything shut on public holidays such as this?

To celebrate our Silver wedding, we will be touring South Dakota/Wyoming/Utah end May, beginning June, and I've just discovered Memorial Day falls while we are there. What do I need to be aware of?

[ 15. January 2010, 21:49: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is of course the day on which we pay respects to our dead, which is in particular taken to mean military dead, although lesser humans also get a nod.

Schools, banks, and all government offices/entities will be closed. You'll be in flyover country, so it is possible that other businesses may be closed as well. You might be well-advised to find out in advance if the places you're wishing to patronize will, in fact, be open.

Happy anniversary! (long in advance)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Londoners (UK): when did the buildings in Victoria Street get pulled down to provide the space for the piazza in front of Westminster Cathedral?

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flyover country? [Confused]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard Mahler:
For Londoners (UK): when did the buildings in Victoria Street get pulled down to provide the space for the piazza in front of Westminster Cathedral?

That would be in the 70s. I'm not sure about precise dates, though.
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The piazza was then when I was working in the area in 1971.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:

Flyover country is the area that many people see only from airplanes. They fly from the east to the west coast or vice-versa without ever visiting the area in-between.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My aunt has just put her first ever link into her latest email (using outlook). The thing is I don't think she knows she has done it (the link is too a chinese blog and my aunt does not speak chinese). How is this possible?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could imagine this: The link shown on screen and the URL link hidden behind don't need to be identical.

quote:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi vs.

http://www.yahoo.co.uk

Both are links to the Ship, but the second one pretends to open Yahoo.co.uk.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Flyover country is the area that many people see only from airplanes. They fly from the east to the west coast or vice-versa without ever visiting the area in-between.

Moo

Pretty much. I was also making reference to the fact that the middle of the country (Illinois excepted) tends to be more conservative politically (and religiously) than the coasts. Hence bigger on the patriotism stuff ergo possibly more likely to shut down businesses on memorial day.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I could imagine this: The link shown on screen and the URL link hidden behind don't need to be identical.

quote:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi vs.

http://www.yahoo.co.uk

Both are links to the Ship, but the second one pretends to open Yahoo.co.uk.
Not really. The sentence looks something like

quote:

The dog is much.in need of a good walk.

So it looks like a typing error has been interpreted as a link, but there is no "www" or "http" or other sign that it is a web-page apart from that rogue full-stop and that can appear all sorts of places other than web-pages.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question for the astronomically-minded:

I'm in the northern hemisphere. It's winter, and looking out of my window in the evenings, Orion is directly in front of me, and Sirius not that far away.

Am I right in thinking that Spica, in Virgo, would be on the opposite side of the sky, and would I see it at this time of year? (The street-lamps make it difficult to see anything on the opposite side.)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Am I right in thinking that Spica, in Virgo, would be on the opposite side of the sky, and would I see it at this time of year?

Spica is just about on the opposite side of the sky, but you won't see it at this time of year. It's below the horizon at the moment.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To celebrate our Silver wedding, we will be touring South Dakota/Wyoming/Utah end May, beginning June, and I've just discovered Memorial Day falls while we are there. What do I need to be aware of?

You will be traveling through sparsely populated areas. (There are more people in Suffolk County than in all of Wyoming, despite Suffolk being 1.5% the size.) This, as much as the conservative nature, may affect hours/days of operation.

ETA: Happy Anniversary!

[ 18. January 2010, 04:04: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone name the book (19th century?) where the chief character, who is the Bad Guy™ kills his good alter ego at the end?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Can anyone name the book (19th century?) where the chief character, who is the Bad Guy™ kills his good alter ego at the end?

Maybe Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, although thanks for trying - it I think has "William, Williams, Wilkie or Wilkins" in the title.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poe's short story, "William Wilson"?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Yes!! Thank you - been bugging me for days.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A question for the Americans. What is Memorial Day all about? Does everything shut on public holidays such as this?

Although naturally national parks are government run, I shouldn't think there'd be a problem visiting one of them. One year I arrived at Yosemite on Memorial Day and everything was up and running.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Although naturally national parks are government run, I shouldn't think there'd be a problem visiting one of them. One year I arrived at Yosemite on Memorial Day and everything was up and running.

You are more likely to find the parks overcrowded because it is a holiday weekend.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No kidding! It was much nicer the next day. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know anything about National Insurance.

I am leaving my job at the end of this month and I am going to be unemployed for at least two months. Does anyone know anything about paying National Insurance contributions whilst I am not working and what sort of difference would this make for the future, for example if I wish to claim statutory maternity pay (I am not pregnant btw before anyone asks!!)

Thanks.

auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The HMRC web site is quite helpful on this. This page lists specific benefits that are linked to NI payments so you can check whether/how they would be affected.

I am not an NI expert, but in general the picture seems to be that if you have a shortfall of contributions in any year then HMRC will write and tell you so and give you the option of topping up your payments for that year. You then have up to six years from the year itself to do the topping up.

Sometimes it may be worthwhile - e.g to obtain a full state pension on eventual retirement. A couple of months missing in one year might still leave your payments above the threshold - i.e. without a shortfall.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

You will be traveling through sparsely populated areas. (There are more people in Suffolk County than in all of Wyoming, despite Suffolk being 1.5% the size.) This, as much as the conservative nature, may affect hours/days of operation.

Population of Wyoming as of July 2008: 532,668
Source US Census bureau.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Where can one get an unabridged Gibbon? And why do no bookshops seem to stock them?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

From Amazon in the US. However you might well get something cheaper and nicer quality by going used from Bookfinder

No I don't understand either but I regularly end up using the US Amazon for books which are either not available or much more expensive here.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Cheers!

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Does anyone know anything about National Insurance.

I am leaving my job at the end of this month and I am going to be unemployed for at least two months. Does anyone know anything about paying National Insurance contributions whilst I am not working and what sort of difference would this make for the future, for example if I wish to claim statutory maternity pay (I am not pregnant btw before anyone asks!!)

Thanks.

auntie Doris x

I'd be interested in that answer too! My job will finish in June.

Last time I was unemployed was 17 years ago, and I think then the system was that if you were signing on (even if you got no actual benefit money), your NI was paid. Not sure if it's the same now.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
So it looks like a typing error has been interpreted as a link, but there is no "www" or "http" or other sign that it is a web-page apart from that rogue full-stop and that can appear all sorts of places other than web-pages.

Jengie

Part of the reason is that "in" is a country code top level domain name (ccTLD). It signifies an Indian website under most circumstances, but people from outside of the country can buy the domain "much.in" and put up their website there. The second part of the reason is that "www" doesn't have to be part of a hostname, and hostnames don't have to have three elements or to be prefaced with the http:// indicator. Most web browsers will find domains just fine without them; as an experiment, go to your browser right now and type in "amazon.com". You'll probably be taken right to it.

Outlook, as well as other email clients, will do the same thing lots of other ccTLDs. A mistakenly-typed period can make inadvertent websites out of go.to, Sunu.nu, and da.mn (check them out--they all exist, after a fashion). It's meant to be a convenience so that you don't have to do any coding for the link to be active, but it can have unintended consequences, as your post shows.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
However you might well get something cheaper and nicer quality by going used from Bookfinder
Jengie

Jengie, I can't get to the page you indicated. Do you have another URL to help us? I suspect it will be useful to many of us! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Judy, I couldn't make that link work either.

Whenever I'm in the market for a used book, I go to abe books. It's a consortium of used book dealers, and I usually find what I want.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the link Jengie sent in a not so tiny url. Perhaps this will work.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
quote:

Source US Census bureau.

Population of Suffolk County as of 2001: 668,553 I assume there are more now.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You've received plenty of good advice already, but I'll just add that -- since you'll be in the land of small-town middle-America, you might keep an eye out to see if there's a parade anywhere near you. It would be nothing special, and certainly not worth driving out of your way for, but small-town holiday parades can be nice, and you'd see a slice of real old-fashioned Americana. Also, I doubt you'll find much that is closed that day (although you should check important destinations in advance). You will, however, come away convinced that Memorial Day exists so that retailers can have Sales. (Happy anniversary, btw!)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Judy, I couldn't make that link work either.

Whenever I'm in the market for a used book, I go to abe books. It's a consortium of used book dealers, and I usually find what I want.

Moo

Bookfinder is a meta-site which polls (among others) ABE for its results. Here is a list of the various booksellers and sites they cover.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Source US Census bureau.

Population of Suffolk County as of 2001: 668,553 I assume there are more now.
By Suffolk County do you mean Suffolk in the UK? If so I've never heard or seen it with an appended County except in your posts. Devon has been known as Devonshire in some circles but, to be honest County as after an area is IME a very American thing. We have County Durham and Ireland has County $name very often, but $name County is highly unusual.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
By Suffolk County do you mean Suffolk in the UK?

Must do. Suffolk County, Massachusetts (better known as the City of Boston) has a slightly larger population & would be bigger than Alaska if it was a state, and Suffolk County, New York has twice as many - about the population of Idaho.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is the possiblity that PaulW and I will be able to go to Paris for a weekend in March to catch up with friends who are travelling on elsewhere after the weekend.

Does anyone have any advice on the easiest way and how much it might cost to get from CDG Airport to Monmartre. Also, does anyone know of any cheap accommodation?

Ta.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Metro is great in Paris, goes pretty much everywhere.

On our last stay, we were in a Campanile hotel (think Ibis or Travelodge). Inexpensive, clean, warm and safe, and they have coffee makers in the room which is a plus in France.

We were in the Bastille one, which was a great area for exploring, and felt very safe for walking home.

Bits of Montmartre are pretty seedy at night, so you might want to stay elsewhere and visit there during the day. Keep your eye on your wallet and remember that the charming man who just cut out a silhouette of you will want a lot of money for it!

My best 'insider tip' for refreshing yourself on a hot day is to have a Diabolo Menthe in a cafe. It's a non-alcoholic drink - dark gree peppermint syrup, lemonade and ice. Looks like washing-up liquid but wow, it really cools you down. We bring back a couple of bottles of the cordial every time we go.

As for eating - hie thee to Amazon and get a copy of Sandra Gustafson's 'Great Eats in Paris'. We have used this every trip, and have never eaten a bad or overpriced meal when we followed her advice.

(Speaking of which - avoid the burger chain Quick. Bill Bryson was right, it's short for 'Quick, a bucket'.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

At dawn and dusk I sometimes see flocks of birds flying together. They're huge flocks, with wave after wave of birds silently heading either south, or north, depending on which end of the day it is. I'm not sure what species they are - they don't look like rooks, which I do sometimes see in the morning, but they're big birds. I'm not sure what colour they are, against the sky at that hour all birds look dark. Tonight, at the station, I counted about 450 passing overhead before my train came in, and more coming.

What kind of bird would nest in such large numbers - and where would they go? Could these be inland gulls?

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends a little on where you are. The behaviour you describe is well known in starlings, for example - but not much in my part of the UK where we commonly see the same behaviour in jackdaws. There is more information on winter flocking birds from the RSPB
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Where in the UK are you. Starling behaviour is wide spread, its just that most people don't know where the nearest site to observe it is. For instance in Sheffield the site is the Moor; in Stockport it's the bus station. The first I know only by report from the local Wildlife Trust, the second because I saw it before I knew starlings did this.

The problem is that you get told about it happening at Brighton or Gretna but don't get told of the local sites.

Another option is pigeons. They will swirl in big flocks and often have communal roosts. The problem is the directness of the flight which may also be the problem with starlings which congregate before the performance.

However I wonder whether this might not be another phenomena. For birds you are not that far from Slimbridge. It is well known that geese will fly in from quite a wide area for feeds, I wonder if the same is true perhaps for smaller ducks.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

This would be in Oxford. I did wonder if they were pigeons as they seemed that kind of shape but I couldn't believe there would be quite so many of them. They're definitely not starlings or thrushes, though.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You certainly do get big flocks of inland gulls over Oxford at dusk, but I've never seen one that big. Were they heading north or south from the station? If north, they could well be waterfowl of some sort heading for Port Meadow - when it floods in winter you may get many thousands of waterfowl (including gulls), of all manner of species, there. There's also a lot of geese and they do fly in and out at dusk, but rarely in flocks much above 20 or 30.

Round the time of the snow I'd have suggested Fieldfare and Redwing, but now that the snow has gone they've apread out again so I don't think it's them.

Can you hear them? Probably not round the station, but geese will honk in flight - that you might be able to hear - and many of the waterbirds seem to make piping whistles as they go.

Any help?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might be part of the Otmoor bird reserve flocks just North East of Oxford? Famed for mass displays of starlings, but various other bird species use it as a route through. Worth ringing their warden and asking what's flocking at the moment?
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Lapwing is another species known to form largish flocks.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
You certainly do get big flocks of inland gulls over Oxford at dusk, but I've never seen one that big. Were they heading north or south from the station?

Northwest. So it could be Port Meadow I suppose - it has the space to take a colony that size, although the dawn chorus must be a real cacophony. At the time they were completely silent as they flew overhead.

If I remember correctly there is a landfill site or large rubbish dump somewhere between Didcot and Oxford that always seems to have a huge number of gulls on it.

Gulls or pigeons, I'm not sure which, but at times the sheer numbers of them looked like something out of a fantasy novel.

(ETA there were more than 450. They were still coming when my train came in and I had to stop counting.)

[ 03. February 2010, 12:53: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This should give you an idea of what's on Port Meadow. They could also have been heading for Pixey Mead or Farmoor resevoir (or Otmoor, of course - lots of bird habitat round the north of Oxford), so there's no guarantee that there'll be a matching entry. Jengie Jon's suggestion of Lapwing is good too - they would look big and the black wings would stand out against a dark sky. If you can find a video of them in flight, they are quite distinctive in shape too. Sounds like a great sighting - pity I missed it. [Frown]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016