homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As has been suggested, an initial purge seems like the way to go. In order to avoid having the iron ions accumulate in the corners of the washing machine, and assuming there is some sort of sink handy, I'd suggest plumbing in a simple soft line from a T immediately before the water goes into the washer. Purge the lines into the sink until the water runs clear before a wash.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
The other thing about the front loader is that I can't just simply dump in wash helpers like borax or ammonia while the machine is filling with water. I've thought of using the Softener dispenser for the ammonia (since I never use softeners), but it's right next to the bleach dispenser, so that seems too risky. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't be delivered at the right time. And the borax is a powder.

A slight tangent, but I'm curious about using ammonia for laundry. I've never heard of this, and wonder what its purpose is.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ammonia cuts grease and oils.

The rusty water problem is only for the first second or two from the cold water taps in the house, but it's a major shot of orange water. All the plumbing is brand-spanking new (and mostly color-coded plastic of the latest sort).

No sink (the laundry is on the second floor and hubby talked me out of a utility sink). Dumb me.

Thanks for the various suggestions. I'll figure things out over time. I just need to learn how to outsmart all the bells and whistles built into the machine.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
hubby talked me out of a utility sink

Flog him with a baby badger.

quote:
I just need to learn how to outsmart all the bells and whistles built into the machine.
It might be less than optimally time-efficient, but it should be relatively easy to set the thing for a simple small-load rinse as a line-purge before you run it in earnest with your laundry.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere in the V&A (London) there's a smallish room which I think is now part of a coffee-shop or cafe, which has pre-Raphaelite tile panels around the walls depicting the months of the year personified, in blue and white.

I can't remember the name of the artist, but think it may have been De Morgan. But searching the V&A website has drawn a complete blank and so has Google. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now found it - it took a while. It's called the Poynter Room and the tiles look like this, if anyone's interested. (I can never see December without thinking of the Tardis, but YMMV.)
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have to head to the Geek Freak thread, but I'll try here first ...

any suggestions how, presumably working in Microsoft Excel, but perhaps otherwise, I would create a program(me) in which to set up a concordance of a writer's word use?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a solution but suspect you'd be better off in word. Do a help query on indexing.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to date an old Girl Guide flag which has the Guide trefoil sewn onto a Union flag (Union Jack). I understand it's no longer legal to sew emblems onto, or otherwise alter, the Union flag to create another flag. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so when this became law?

Googling only tells me that there is no British law against flag desecration, but this isn't flag desecration.

Is there a word for adapting a flag to create a different flag?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it anything to do with
this? which might help date it.

--------------------
Less is more ...

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank-you!

It's probably about that old - we have an idea that it became illegal to make flags with emblems sewn on, and if we knew when it became illegal, we'd have an idea of the age of the flag.

But I can't find out if it really is illegal, and, if so, when it became illegal.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Girl Guides have an archivist and a museum, try asking them if they can help date the flag. All they can say is "no"...

Contact details are here.

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thx, Jengie - I think my Word version may be too old, alas [Frown]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In reading this post , I came across the word "shuftie", which seems to mean "look around", or, possibly, "shuffle through".
quote:
A quick shuftie around google (of praxis, individual, collective) will throw up all sorts of issues
Any hints as to the origin of this word?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

It gladdened my heart to see it, because it's a word I use - I thought it was a Scots word. It's not in my Scots Dialect Dictionary, though.

I use it to mean "quick glance" - e.g. "I'll just have a shuftie at the newspaper while I'm waiting"

[ 13. April 2010, 21:38: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the urban dictionary and the Ask OED, it's Arabic in origin.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes as someone currently attempting to learn dialect Arabic I can confirm that the imperative of the verb 'to look' is "Shoft" (approximate transliteration!).

The only other arabic word I have recognised is 'bint' which means girl and I have heard of as a slightly old fashioned slang word in the UK for a woman.

I wonder if these were words picked up by troops staioned in Arabic speaking countries during WWII?

Just clicked the link above and see that my assumption appears to be right!

[ 14. April 2010, 10:04: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the usage of both bint and shufty/shuftie/shufti in English may predate WW2 (and even WW1). It's not always easy to date slang usage, but they both (along with buckshee) may have come from the British Army in Egypt at the end of the nineteenth century.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Prompted by a current news headline) if you are an arctic or antarctic adventurer and you set off to be the first person from your kindergarten class to get to the pole, how do you know when you've got there?

No, GPS doesn't count.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is the difference between roasting and baking?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

Probably not the correct answer, but roasting uncovered and baking covered was my first thought.

But then, meat can be cooked in a covered roaster, while cakes and biscuits are baked.

Any advance on that, short of checking in the cooks' dictionary?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checked this out, and these days not much, but originally roasting meant to cook over an open flame while baking was done with an enclosed flame in an oven. See this webpage. So also roasting referred to meat, which was done over an open fire while baking referred to things like cakes and such which were probably done in a side oven. I would associate it with the way the cooking depends on fat but that is just me.

Jengie

[ 16. April 2010, 08:55: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Thank-you!

It's probably about that old - we have an idea that it became illegal to make flags with emblems sewn on, and if we knew when it became illegal, we'd have an idea of the age of the flag.

But I can't find out if it really is illegal, and, if so, when it became illegal.

I had a quick look on my legal databases, and can find no Act of Parliament dealing with flags at all, whether sewing emblems on them or by desecrating them. The only recent case on desecrating a flag seems to be Percy v DPP in 2001, where a protester standing on the Stars and Stripes (in the UK) in front of American servicemen and their families, and trampling it into the dust, was charged under s.5 of the Public Order Act 1986, but her conviction was quashed by the Court of Appeal on the grounds of the right to protest enshrined in the ECHR.

Maybe the Girl Guides just decided it was wrong to alter the union flag? Certain electricity companies have used green union flags, and a London artist had union flags in the colours of South Africa all over my uni campus last year. I would be surprised to find that there were any laws about altering the union flag - it's not a very British thing to worry about!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update to my answer above about flags:

In England and Wales the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007 specifically provide that the flying of the national flag of any country is outside the scope of the Regulations altogether, provided that:

'Neither the flag nor the flagstaff may display any advertisement or subject matter additional to the design of the flag.'

It may be that the guides stopped putting their emblem on the Union flag to avoid any problems with planning regulations? The first such regulations were in 1992 (as far as can find out) if that's any help!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
(Prompted by a current news headline) if you are an arctic or antarctic adventurer and you set off to be the first person from your kindergarten class to get to the pole, how do you know when you've got there?

No, GPS doesn't count.

From my 30+ year-old Astro & Navigation O level I think Solar and/or Celestial navigation is the best of the traditional methods. Otherwise I think you are left with Dead Reckoning, but working out you progress since your last good position won't be easy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] That's anti-climacticly easy then, isn't it? If I know the date then my latitude is fairly trivial. Still, I wonder how close Amundsen, Scott et al were.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
[Hot and Hormonal] That's anti-climacticly easy then, isn't it? If I know the date then my latitude is fairly trivial. Still, I wonder how close Amundsen, Scott et al were.

I never said they were *easy*. You will need a timepiece that isn't wrong (I have read that one second out is about quarter of a mile!). I suppose that's why you had sailors in most expeditions.

Here's a link to Amundsen's method of locating the South Pole. Essentially he found grid south, took sun shots then worked to the pole using dead reckoning, having determined the distance and direction between grid and true south.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Thanks, Kat, Scots Lass and Moth!
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some anti-eczema cream for Teacup to put on *before* she gets into a bath to stop her skin drying.

I'm not after medical advice, I'm doing what I'm told, but I'm just curious as to what's actually happening.

Surely putting stuff on to protect the skin from water makes putting her in the water a bit pointless? (Don't know if that makes sense as to why I am puzzled but its puzzling me!)

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, a strange problem (to which I am fairly confident I know the answer... and for which I am not seeking responses from such as Campbellite! [Biased] )

I have a cat. A rather gorgeous cat, at that. I also have a garden. A rather small one.

My cat uses my garden for the purposes for which a cat usually uses a garden.... sleeping in the sun, fighting with other cats, and.. er... pooing. I have absolutely no objection to my cat pooing in my garden (or even to other cats pooing in my garden, though I'm glad my cat tends to use his own territory for the purpose rather than my neighbours') and our flat is too small to use a litter tray to counter this.

So here is my problem. Because the garden is so small and with so little dug area, it is difficult to avoid the pooey spot and its distinctive aroma. Is there any good way of masking the smell? Something I could put on that patch of waste ground that would mask the smell without detering the cat from using that area? Or do I just have to get my super-dooper-pooper-scooper to de-poop it daily? (Sorry Smudgelet)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If the volcano is erupting a plume of ash that gets into the jet stream at 30,000 feet which stops planes from flying, what stops planes from flying at a lower altitude to avoid the bulk of it?

In the past couple of days there have been a few small light aircraft around which suggests that the lower levels of the air aren't unsafe. Do full-size planes need to be travelling at a height of 30K feet, or are there regulations/aerodynamic reasons that prohibit them from travelling at less?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

The fact is that you can only reliably fly under something that you can see, normal planes can not even detect it if they are flying in it.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike asked,
quote:
My understanding is that roasting is a dry heat oven method of cooking food. The food is usually left uncovered so that it browns, although it might be covered for part of the time. Baking on the other hand has some sort of liquid added and a lid is added to keep in the moisture. The terms do get mixed together now I think. Dry roasted potatoes in the oven for example are called baked potatoes. You can truly bake potatoes when they are added to the liquid around a roast which is baked with liquid. [Ultra confused] Yes it is one of those things.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
If the volcano is erupting a plume of ash that gets into the jet stream at 30,000 feet which stops planes from flying, what stops planes from flying at a lower altitude to avoid the bulk of it?

In the past couple of days there have been a few small light aircraft around which suggests that the lower levels of the air aren't unsafe. Do full-size planes need to be travelling at a height of 30K feet, or are there regulations/aerodynamic reasons that prohibit them from travelling at less?

Long distance international flights cruise a very high altitudes (mostly to avoid local weather patterns and perhaps also local traffic of smaller aircraft). These high levels are where the heavy ash levels are slowly dispersing.

While I don't claim any actual knowledge beyond that, I suspect that there are a lot of reasons why they can't simply fly the big jets under the ash cloud. Maybe things like the jet engines are designed to work at high altitudes for long distances, and perhaps the complications of managing air traffic at lower levels with mixed high speed and low speed aircraft?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

I think I would dissent from Graven Image. I think baking is the dry version. You bake bread and cakes and puddings, dessicating the exterior and activating any raising ingredients. You don't intervene while this is going on.

Roasting tends to involve basting - ie applying juices/oils while still invoking the drying/crisping action of high heat. If you are taking steps to actively stop the loss of moisture, then you are casseroling or braising.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

So here is my problem. Because the garden is so small and with so little dug area, it is difficult to avoid the pooey spot and its distinctive aroma. Is there any good way of masking the smell? Something I could put on that patch of waste ground that would mask the smell without detering the cat from using that area? Or do I just have to get my super-dooper-pooper-scooper to de-poop it daily? (Sorry Smudgelet)

After having cats most of my life, I have never found anything that is able to mask the cat poo smell. Well, except maybe elephant poo, but there you have a new problem.

My apologies to Smudgelet in suggesting that the s-d-pooper-scooper is probably the best route. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Re: planes versus ash.

The main problem is with jet aircraft, because you can't filter the air inlets. If the light aircraft you're seeing are propeller-driven, they probably enjoy the luxury of piston engines with air filters.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good explanation of why jets are grounded.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it were possible for all the jet planes in European airspace to fly below the ash cloud, can you imagine the magnitude of necessary rescheduling by air traffic controllers of thousands of flights?

(Edited to remove ambiguity)
GG

[ 18. April 2010, 03:59: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it explained on the BBC news that modern jest planes are designed to fly efficiently at high altitude. At lower altitudes they burn up huge amounts of extra fuel and their tanks are too small to hold enough to make a fight of any distance.

But there was in the news also, that in the south of England smaller planes are being grounded because they had been found to be covered in the ash.

So I guess that the risk is still too great.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
I heard it explained on the BBC news that modern jest planes...

You're just fooling us...
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks, all, for the interesting replies! I'm sure if it had been practical, they'd have done it already, but it's interesting to figure out why they haven't.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To lower the tone a bit...

This falls in the category of "vulgar curiosity," but can anyone imagine why an elderly man of a particularly rugged, macho type, with a white beard and mustache, looks like a stereotypical sea captain, would be wearing pointy women's shoes with kitten heels? in the winter it's women's boots of the almost FM variety. To church. For at least four years.

Obviously I can't ask him, having some semblance of shame left. But ....

Please somebody tell me there's an orthopedic benefit or something.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does he have very small feet? Wilkie Collins had such tiny feet, he could only get women's shoes to fit.

And/or is he a cheapskate? I recollect an old chap used to dot about in traditional Scottish dress - except that it wasn't a kilt, it was a lassie's tartan miniskirt (complete with net petticoat) that he'd bought out of a charity shop.

Or maybe he just is a transvestite and the shoes are the outward and visible sign of the stockings, suspender belt, frilly knickers etc that he wearing under his sou'wester and oilskins.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
I heard it explained on the BBC news that modern jest planes...

You're just fooling us...
[Razz]

It's a new way of entertaining the passengers!
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
To lower the tone a bit...

This falls in the category of "vulgar curiosity," but can anyone imagine why an elderly man of a particularly rugged, macho type, with a white beard and mustache, looks like a stereotypical sea captain, would be wearing pointy women's shoes with kitten heels? in the winter it's women's boots of the almost FM variety. To church. For at least four years.

Obviously I can't ask him, having some semblance of shame left. But ....

Please somebody tell me there's an orthopedic benefit or something.

The women's boots may indeed be comfortable and affordable. Then again, if he's spent that long at sea, anything could be possible. Maybe he shot an albatross?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

jackanapes
Shipmate
# 12374

- Posted      Profile for jackanapes   Email jackanapes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
...can anyone imagine why an elderly man of a particularly rugged, macho type, with a white beard and mustache, looks like a stereotypical sea captain, would be wearing pointy women's shoes with kitten heels?

Puts me in mind of Robert De Niro's turn in the film 'Stardust'.
Posts: 468 | From: The bottom of my heart | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Is there someone else at your church who might know and be willing to share?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I have some anti-eczema cream for Teacup to put on *before* she gets into a bath to stop her skin drying.
...snippety...
Surely putting stuff on to protect the skin from water makes putting her in the water a bit pointless? (Don't know if that makes sense as to why I am puzzled but its puzzling me!)

I'm assuming, from the question, that you're putting the cream on pretty much everywhere - if you were only using it on limited areas then the bath makes sense to wash the un-coated bits.

As a guess, there's hope that the eczema is only temporary, but establishing the habit of bathing is a good thing. My mother didn't wash my hair in the bath, but if you do, that's another reason to keep taking baths.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:

I would guess the applying beforehand would help the skin retain moisture and protect it from whatever cleanser you are using. The cream should not prevent any actual cleansing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016