homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Does he have very small feet? Wilkie Collins had such tiny feet, he could only get women's shoes to fit.

And/or is he a cheapskate? I recollect an old chap used to dot about in traditional Scottish dress - except that it wasn't a kilt, it was a lassie's tartan miniskirt (complete with net petticoat) that he'd bought out of a charity shop.

Or maybe he just is a transvestite and the shoes are the outward and visible sign of the stockings, suspender belt, frilly knickers etc that he wearing under his sou'wester and oilskins.

quote:
Then again, if he's spent that long at sea, anything could be possible. Maybe he shot an albatross?
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Maybe so. I knew the Ship wouldn't fail me.

It did cross my mind that maybe he'd made a vow to his dying wife not to let her good shoes go to waste, but . . .

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:

Surely putting stuff on to protect the skin from water makes putting her in the water a bit pointless? (Don't know if that makes sense as to why I am puzzled but its puzzling me!)

I suspect this is an explanation for something that works in quite a complex way.

Firstly I am suspicious that it partly works by loosening the dirt before you put teacup in the water, so the dirt can simply be wiped off, rather like a pre wash stain treatment.

I also suspect it might be hydrophobic, water repellent, but if my understanding is right this will only be effective until soap is added, when I suspect it will readily dissolve in the water taking the dirt with it.

Finally I suspect it will leave a moisturising residual on tea-cup. I say this as someone who often finds hand cream too greasy and washes it off, yet still appears to benefit from it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an adult eczema / psoriasis sufferer, I am supposed to use aqueous cream to wash with in the bath and one of the oils - Balneum or Oilatum - in the bath water. I don't and I can prove the eczema. It makes a very nasty mess of the bath and I do more damage to my hands cleaning the bath afterwards.

Ideally, I'd shower using aqueous cream, but that's not possible here. But you're trying to protect fragile skin from damage, and no I am not supposed to use soap either.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm neither a meteorologist nor a volcanologist so can someone tell me in good old British rain will lessen the effect of the ash from Iceland. Could it make it settle, in grubby form, but at least get the stuff out of the atmosphere where it is buggering up air travel?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have just cooked tea (well I say "we", that'd be the royal "we" as I just ate the results [Big Grin] ) and used a mystery vegetable we haven't been able to identify. We bought it in our local Asian supermarket and thought it was a giant okra - it certainly looks like okra on the outside, except that it was about a foot and a half/two feet long. But when cut into, it had 3 segments rather than 5, no little seeds and no icky snotty gooey stuff like okra does. When cooked the outside remained hard (and in fact inedible) and the flesh inside was relatively tasteless. Any ideas what we've just eaten?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did it look like this? If so it's a drumstick.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Ariel, that's exactly it. Hooray for the internet! (now off to search out recipes and instructions for cooking it properly [Smile] ).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Thanks Ariel, that's exactly it. Hooray for the internet! (now off to search out recipes and instructions for cooking it properly [Smile] ).

Don't. It's called a drumstick for the best of reasons. Buy a drum.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The outer bit remains hard. The trick is to suck out the inside and discard the shell. Have a plate on the table for remnants. Serve with a spiced curry.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calling Brits to answer this question.

I have two small parcels to post off when I am briefly in the UK on my way home on Saturday.

I note that Heathrow boasts of a post office in terminal 2. Could you confirm that it does

a) sell mailing boxes
b) is actually open on Saturday and what hours.

Thanks muchly.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
The outer bit remains hard. The trick is to suck out the inside and discard the shell. Have a plate on the table for remnants. Serve with a spiced curry.

It's really seriously yummy stuff with a delicate flavour so don't over-spice it - a chef friend calls it the Indian asparagus - but beware of eating too much as it can have a laxative effect.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To b): see here, Terminal 2:

It is open on a Saturday, and from 09.00 to 17.30.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Which leaves a) - a negative answer means that I might as well not make the trip over from Terminal 3 after I check in.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This page says that the Terminal Two Post Office offers 'all the usual services', so I would be astonished if it didn't sell mailing boxes.

This page shows the boxes normally sold by Post Offices - although the page is for Royal Mail online, you would normally expect these to be on offer in any Post Office.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But this page says that "Terminal 2 closed in November 2009 while modernisation works are taking place."

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advice needed – can anyone suggest where I can go for advice in the following. Sorry I can’t be very specific but it deals with matters told to me in confidence.

A muslim woman acquaintance of mine asked if I knew where she could go for help. She is married, to a muslim man born in a middle east country. She was born in the UK. They have small children. She believes he is about to abandon her to go back to his home country and marry a local woman. She is of course terrified of this and especially that he will abduct the children and take them abroad. Although they are married and still living together she says he is giving her hardly any money to live on and keep the children on. She doesn’t work and stays at home all day looking after the children.

All I was able to say when she first told me was to suggest Relate as a first step, but obviously there must be organisations out there dedicated to helping muslim women in similar situations. Can anyone advise?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would try Ashiana for a starting point. They do run refuges but I think their outreach work would cover the women you describe even if there isn't physical abuse.

You might also try Rights of Women which will help her sort out her legal situation.

Jengie

[ 26. April 2010, 11:02: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try the Muslim Women's Helpline. They should be able to advise.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Owen:
But this page says that "Terminal 2 closed in November 2009 while modernisation works are taking place."

Quite. Ooops. However, www.heathrowairport.com has this information:

quote:
The airport post office is on the first floor of the Terminal 3 departures building, in the public area before security (it's near the security control entrance).
Again and somewhat surprisingly, there are no further details regarding opening hours or mailing boxes on that site, so you might want to check with Royal Mail on 08457 223344. The only Heathrow post office I see on their post office finder is in the World Cargo Centre, which I suppose is not exactly in Terminal 3 (www.royalmail.com).

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you feed the partial postcode TW6 into the Post Office Branch finder you will get two results. One is the office in Terminal 3 with Saturday opening hours of 09:00 to 17:30. But there is no list of facilities.

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Brilliant teamwork there! So it seems that they've got the same opening hours and probably the same services as they had in in T2.
[Overused] [Angel]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
....there must be organisations out there dedicated to helping muslim women in similar situations. Can anyone advise?

Try Karma Nirvana, set up specifically for situations like this by Jasvinder Sanghera (author of "Shame" and "Daughters of Shame" that a friend from a similar background game me to read so I could see a bit of her own story)
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I've about used up/beat up the Moleskine notebook I've taken all my class notes in for the last two years. I need a new one.
So the real questions:
Hardcover or soft? My old one has a soft cover that makes it less bulky (and lets it fit a bit more easily into my pocket), but sturdiness is kind of an issue.
Black, red, or other? I'm in kind of a conservative department, so a shockingly red notebook might attract attention, but, at the same time, it'd make it really easy to find in the recessed of my satchel/book explosion that is my room at the end of the term!
Pocket sized or letter-paper sized? The current one is a pocket notebook; however, I have gotten comments on how tiny my chicken-scratch handwriting is as I try to cram two hours worth of notes into something less than six pages. Then again, small takes up less space in the bag . . .
Ruled or plain paper? True, ruled would be neater, but it also kinda keeps me from writing tiny, illegible chicken-scratch notes that won't do me any good when I'm 45 . . .

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use A5, black, ruled, soft cover. Write in pencil or fountain pen.

I love it. Tactile, easily carried, no transformer to lose.

Shame it doesn't have a search function.

3F

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it still possible to get Filofaxes? I'm thinking of going back to them.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Is it still possible to get Filofaxes? I'm thinking of going back to them.

Yup. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Contacting her MP is another possibility -- they do a lot of casework and will have contacts (sometimes faster lines than the publich numbers)

Though obviously the middle of a general election campaign isn't the best time for this.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem solved. Forget the trendy Chinese-made hipster gear; it's time for my writing geek cred to come out!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got a little chip on the windscreen, no bigger than a 1p piece, sort of star shaped, and rumour has it that its getting bigger (my son first noticed it about 3 weeks ago).

We don't have fully comp insurance on this car (it would have cost too much when we added 18yo son on recently) so would have to pay for this if we got it fixed. I got a quote today and its about £160 + VAT for a replacement windscreen (it cannot be repaired, as its an electrically heated windsceen, so drilling into the glass would damage the heating elements).

My question is - how necessary and how urgent is this windscreen replacement? What is the consequence of not getting it done? Is it likely to develop into a massive crack, or cause any other problem?

We are the sort of people that drive around with big dents in the car that I have obtained from bollards in car parks - I see no point in getting something fixed if its only cosmetic. But a problem with the engine would be different. I just don't know where a small windsceen chip falls on the scale of things genuinely worth doing vs things that only make the car look better.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Contacting her MP is another possibility -- they do a lot of casework and will have contacts (sometimes faster lines than the publich numbers)

Though obviously the middle of a general election campaign isn't the best time for this.

Carys

Yes indeed, I did think of that and I actually do know my MP socially, but this week is obviously not a good time.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
My question is - how necessary and how urgent is this windscreen replacement? What is the consequence of not getting it done? Is it likely to develop into a massive crack, or cause any other problem?

Did you ask the windscreen people if they could stabilise it rather than repairing it? (Assuming that it isn't in a position that would cause a problem with your MOT, and therefore roadworthiness.)

We had a small nick in our windscreen a few years ago which developed into a crack and then grew, and grew, although that was a crack rather than being star-shaped. I'd have thought that you would be able to tell if (when) it was getting to be unstable, but the bottom line is that it is a functional and roadworthiness issue and not just cosmetic.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windscreen chips can develop into cracks, and this can be prevented by having the chip 'repaired' by injecting resin into the chip. Here is some advice from the AA. Autoglass are probably one of the most prominent repairers. Glass doctor advertise themselves as original (and best). It really does seem to be a case of a stitch in time...
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble is this chip can't be repaired, because of the heating elements in the windcreen. I think I will just moniter it for now, watch if it gets any bigger etc.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
The trouble is this chip can't be repaired, because of the heating elements in the windcreen. I think I will just moniter it for now, watch if it gets any bigger etc.

OK, fair enough. The Glass Doctor website seemed to suggest that you can't always trust a 'can't be repaired' verdict - but then they have a product to sell...
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get it looked at quickly. Dents in the car are unsightly, but that's all. Chips and cracks in the windscreen are potentially dangerous and should not be ignored.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some cars are designed to treat the windshield as a structural element, allowing them to make the A-pillars thinner for improved visibility. If yours is such a car, the likelihood of a chip turning into a large and growing crack is increased.

If your windshield is laminated safety glass (as is most common), a large crack might not seem too terribly dangerous. Unfortunately, having such a defect directly in the line of sight is dangerously distracting. Almost hypnotic (though, not as bad as high beams in a snow storm).

If your windshield is tempered glass (as is possible in many places), the transition from chip to crack proceeds along a catastrophically rapid course. The whole windshield is turned suddenly opaque as it succumbs to a fine network of stress cracks. Very very dangerous indeed.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was listening to Radio 4 the other week and they had a small piece on the consequences of damage to the Catholic church's reputation around Europe. The reporter in Germany (I think) said that town halls (I think) were expecting queues of people rushing to "de-register" themselves from their Catholic churches; and that this would have a significant financial impact on the churches.

The piece implied that, in Germany, (1) You have to be officially registered at the town hall to be a church member (i.e. more state-based than the UK electoral roll system); and that (2) There was some kind of monthly subscription paid as part of this registration.

Is anyone familiar with this? Does it work like this or have I got the wrong end of the stick? How much do you have to pay? What if you are just visiting? Is it just for Catholics or does it apply to all churches?

I'd never come across it before so very curious!

Hen

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Registered adherents of recognised religions pay a Church Tax in Germany.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the windscreen question; even if the windscreen is not a structural element of the car body, one should perhaps consider its own structural integrity.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi - very wierd question, so where else to go but the internet.

Can anyone recommend some stomach/core strengthening exercises which a.) don't require any equipment other than you might expect anyone to have in their house anyway (I'm thinking chairs, bed, etc as possible props), and b.) don't exert any strain whatever on the neck. I can't do sit-ups because it puts my neck out, and even the 'variants' on such which are supposedly easier on the back/neck, still affect my neck.

I realise this is a difficult thing to address in text form and much easier if you are in the room and can just lie down on the floor and say 'you do it like this', but give it a shot anyway!

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lie on your back, stick your legs straight up (so at 90 degrees to your body). Write the whole alphabet with both feet together, then each foot in turn (keeping the other one up and still).

If that's easy peasy, lower your legs slightly so they're at 110 degrees to your body, and repeat - keeping legs straight. Continue increasing the angle until legs are still straight but only just don't touch the floor while being waved around.

It hurts. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yoga has at least two, one a variant of Hennah's. Just lie on the floor and lift your feet off a couple of inches and hold for a while, while breathing normally. Its a strong stretch so do not expect to do it for a long time right at the start. The other is Navasana or Boat pose. You will need your legs bent to start with. I still do.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Question:

I have noticed that I have not known a Muslim family that kept a pet, particularly kept a dog. Does anyone know if I have just an odd selection of Muslim families or if there is a particular reason, or if it is purely cultural?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

An excellent question, quite striking really, and well observed.

I did a quick web search with "muslim family pet", and it seems that dogs are not supposed to be kept as pets, and only allowed for guarding and other outside purposes.

I didn't check about other pets though, and am looking forward to some clarification, just like you. Interesting, this!

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a programme on Radio 4 at least a year ago about blind Muslims with Guide dogs - some Muslims regard dogs as purely "outdoor" animals, guard dogs, herd dogs etc, and object to them being allowed inside. (Can't remember if there was a specific religious reason). One father was able to get round his local community's opposition to his blind son's Guide dog by having a senior Muslim classify the dog as a "herd-dog" for herding his son. I can't remember the details, but it was a fascinating programme.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here it is.

Can anyone tell me why the details of the radio programme are hazy, but I can clearly remember that I heard it on the car radio whilst driving up the A90, and that the programme finished when I was passing Stonehaven?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I have noticed that I have not known a Muslim family that kept a pet, particularly kept a dog. Does anyone know if I have just an odd selection of Muslim families or if there is a particular reason, or if it is purely cultural?

Dogs are considered particularly unclean animals, almost as bad as pigs. "Angels will not enter a house where there is a dog." A Muslim can really only keep them as guard dogs, or herd dogs, not pets. If it licks you, you need to wash. Its saliva is extremely unclean.

Cats, however, are OK. The Prophet loved cats (the story goes that he once went without his cloak because his favourite cat had curled up asleep on it, and he didn't want to disturb it).

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you very much.

Now to think how to tell the locals that as most the kids in the local playground are Muslim, letting your dogs in is NOT a good idea.

Dog are not permitted but some people choose to ignore the notices.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Can anyone tell me why the details of the radio programme are hazy, but I can clearly remember that I heard it on the car radio whilst driving up the A90, and that the programme finished when I was passing Stonehaven?

I'm no expert at all, but since nobody else has had a go at answering this question ...

Maybe something to do with how the brain responds to sensory input? If driving up the A90 to Stonehaven is not something you do regularly, then you were getting lots of interesting new visual stimulation at the same time as the interesting info coming to you aurally from the radio - your memory stored the experience as a whole pretty vividly, but not the minutiae from the one type of sensory input (aural input from the radio)?

Sort of like the issue - why is it often so much easier to remember the complete lyrics to one's favourite pop song / hymn than to remember half a page of basic written information for an important exam? - (where some theories are that the fact sound is involved so more senses/ bits of the brain are involved is why the songs easier to remember)

I'm no neuroscientist or pyschologist. I might be talking completely out of my arse. But sensory processing and integration in the brain would be my first line of enquiry if I were trying to research an academically-robust answer to your question, NEQ.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'm sure the ability to remember things precisely is helped by being able to link inputs so that when one is stimulated, the others get "woken up": a place on a journey, or a unusual vehicle could trigger a phrase heard and, in the case of a song, the tune, the place you heard it first or someone you associate with it, can help to get the words in order.

Just my 2d.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016