homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know how to make a little speech bubble that pops up in the bottom right corner of my computer screen go away?

I've got a laptop running Vista (pause for mockery), and every time I switch it on the bubble is there telling me that the administrator account has no password and anyone can therefore change the parental locks. I don't have any other accounts on the computer and no-one else uses it, I don't have a password on it and I don't care that anyone could turn the parental locks off as I don't use them either.

It's driving me potty - I've tried ignoring it (it goes away eventually but is back next time the computer is switched on); clicking the little-cross-in-a-box make-it-go-away button (it goes away but again is back at next switch on); and clicking on it to deal with it (I get the parental control settings, none of which I want to activate).

I'd hoped that eventually it would get the message and leave me alone, but alas not.

Help!

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect its not Windows itself but whatever security system you have got. So if you want to get rid of it, you should try fiddling with that.

However I would suggest you set an admin password, just to make life harder for anyone who wants to hack into your machine and do nasty things with it. Remember if you are on the internet they don't need to be physically present to do this.

Jengie

[ 09. May 2010, 19:38: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First posted in Styx and redirected here:

I would like to upload some pictures to the web, but when I follow the instructions on the Share-to-web upload folder Help instructions, in fact the first instruction, which is to right click on the Share-to-web icon, my computer crashes. This has happened several times on the trot. Has anyone any tips?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a reminder, there is a dedicated computer problems thread available in Heaven.

While it is OK to post any sort of question here, it may not be the optimal venue for getting it answered.

Firenze
Heaven Host

[ 10. May 2010, 08:23: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jacobsen, I've now copied your question over here.

I'm sure someone will know the answer. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks again [Smile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An Australian professor asserts that atmospheric pressure is not necessary for a siphon to work.

Link to story

Surely he is wrong, isn't he? If you had a siphon more than about 10 metres high, wouldn't a vacuum develop at the top of the loop and prevent the water from flowing?

The fact that he talks about the falling water "pulling" the water after it makes my physics antennae twitch...

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm dredging up what little is left of my college physics, but I believe the falling water or other fluid creates a vacuum in the siphon tube which then pulls more liquid from the reservoir.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another article on the story with perhaps better explanation.

(Note the "bootnote" at the bottom of the article)

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link wilson - that is very interesting! So really it depends on the liquid having some tensile strength - on the attractive forces between molecules in the liquid.

But I would like to see a very tall siphon, 50 metres high or something, just to convince me that it really works... clearly my faith is weak!

TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

But now I have a new question - if this is really how a siphon works, why does the tube of the siphon have to be closed? Imagine starting up a siphon and then making a hole in the tube at the top of the loop. Would the siphon still work? If not, why not, if Prof Hughes is right?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there some maximum height for drawing water using air pressure? or does that not apply here?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as the viscosity of the fluid and flow rate is sufficient to prevent evacuations (either gas-filled or vacuum) from reducing the total viscous mass on the positive (downward) leg of the siphon, such that it is still greater than the viscous mass of the negative leg (upward) leg, it will flow just fine in a linear acceleration/gravity field.

Poking a hole at the top of the siphon tube incurs an evacuation, ruining the mass flow balance.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really, really hate when that happens.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having trouble with a half-remembered anecdote, and Google has not been my friend.

I think there was a band (Aerosmith?) who shouted out at the beginning of the concert, "Hello (Cleveland?)!" except they weren't performing in Cleveland. Somewhat embarrassing.

Can anyone straighten me out on (1) whether this happened (2) band name and city?

Thanks.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick bit of Googling on my part suggests you're thinking of Bruce Springsteen in Michigan thinking he was in Ohio. Dom of Muse also seems to have done it (look for "wrong city" in the page)... in fact I guess there's a long list.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea if this bears any relation, but this is what I found on Wiki, and a certain band, Spinal Tab's, website has this here.

Personally, I could well imagine that such a thing possibly happened to a few bands, especially on a long tour and if one too many drinks were had before the gig.

[ETA: x-posted with Eutychus, you may have a more plausible answer.]

[ 13. May 2010, 06:01: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wiki page, and more especially the video excerpt from the movie in Wesley's second link, tells me I've been missing a cult movie all these years.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus, you haven't seen This is Spinal Tap? Sir, you may hardly consider yourself educated. [Big Grin]

For your pleasure, I give you the best scene in the movie: when the massive Stonehenge set piece the band had thought they ordered came in at less than two feet tall, and the band had to hire midgets to dance around it (at about 3:05 on the clip).

Thank you for your help, gentlemen. I was able to find the Spinal Tap reference on Google but thought this had happened IRL. Didn't know it was The Boss!

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this is an automotive question. I hope this is the right place for it.

We have a 1996 Honda Civic, fuel injection, 175k miles. It has been running like a top since we bought it (at 100k miles) but now it has developed a peculiar glitch.

If I start it in the morning and drive to the grocery store, it won't restart when I leave the store. It will crank and crank and crank -- no end of battery. But it doesn't fire. The store is about 1.5 miles from home, the streets are all 25mph which I usually drive at 20.

However if I drive it at high speeds for a few miles, not even very many more, it re-starts fine. If you allow it to cool all the way down, it starts fine. If you only drive a couple of blocks, turn it off, wait a short bit, then try to restart it, it starts fine.

It seems like the problem is if it heats up a little bit, but not all the way.

I took it to the new dealer in town (since my favourite mechanic died and his successors had their shop closed when they were caught running drugs), and they had it a week and couldn't find what was wrong. They did charge me to clean out carbon deposits from the head ($250) and replace
the coil ($250) but that didn't fix it. They checked the cranking power of the battery and it had 380 cold cranking amps (I think that's the number they said) and they said that was certainly not the problem.

I got it back from them, unfixed, and am just making sure I get it out on the highway any trip I'm on (it's a slight detour from the grocery store but not much more than a mile or two more).

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like what happens to one of our Hondas. It is supposed to have something to do with only running the engine for a short period of time using the fuel from the carburetor but not enough to start the fuel pump to replace it. So if I just need to move the car forward 5m I have to leave it running longer or it won't start easily the next time.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Mine doesn't have a carburetor, though.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine might not either. I'm not an automotive mechanic and may not have the details correct, but that was the general sense I got about the explanation and why letting the engine run for longer would prevent it.
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a job for Click and Clack.

If you call and get on the air, let us know so that we can listen.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I filled out their online ask-a-question form. We'll see if they answer. They're supposed to send me an email if I am chosen to be answered in their newspaper column.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
If I start it in the morning and drive to the grocery store, it won't restart when I leave the store. It will crank and crank and crank -- no end of battery. But it doesn't fire. The store is about 1.5 miles from home, the streets are all 25mph which I usually drive at 20.

Etcetera.

Sounds like the classic case of fine cracks in the spark plug leads. You car is just about the exact right age/mileage for them to form - embrittling of the plastic sleeves such that there is no gross failure, but just hairline cracks. After a few minutes of driving, the lines warm up enough to spread the cracks to admit moisture (shorting/weakening the spark), but not yet hot enough in the engine compartment to evaporate the moisture.

Replacing the spark plug leads is cheap and easy - you could buy them for about $30, and even a novice could install them if sufficiently brave. A shop should be able to do it for well under $100 (though, if they're worth their salt, they'll also suggest new spark plugs, and still be under $100).

It's a bit disheartening that the shop didn't try this first.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
even a novice could install them if sufficiently brave
As a novice, I've done this. More commonsense than bravery. Do them one at a time so leads and plugs don't get muddled.

That said, I've also stripped down a tractor engine and helped replace several blown head gaskets in several engines and a clutch in a small Fiat. still very much a novice.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

But RooK, under that theory why would it start OK when it was dead cold, but not in the middle range of cold? It seems it shouldn't start when cold, if your theory is correct.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT, does the vehicle run roughly while heating up?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
But RooK, under that theory why would it start OK when it was dead cold, but not in the middle range of cold? It seems it shouldn't start when cold, if your theory is correct.

The fully-cooled material has contracted, so that the cracks are fitted tightly together and prevent seepage. Condensation only happens after the whole engine bay is nice and cold, and thus forms only on the exterior of the leads. When the engine bay warms up, the metal leads expand faster than the sleeve, and the en-brittled plastic can't flex to accommodate.
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a car that used to do that - we blamed it on the automatic choke (it was in the early days of them and the first car we'd had that had one).

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

lilBuddha, no.

RooK, that makes sense. Sort of. Does the coating on the spark plug wires really expand to the same extent as the wire itself, albeit more slowly? Differences in expansion of different metals is what makes mechanical thermostats work. I can't imagine that plasticized rubber and copper (or whatever the wire is made of) expand to the same extent.

I had a problem with a choke in cold weather on a 1980 d'Accord. Cost a titload to fix it.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Does the coating on the spark plug wires really expand to the same extent as the wire itself, albeit more slowly?

Exactly. And for the majority of the lifespan of the spark plug wires (like, say, the first decade or so) the difference in thermal expansion is accommodated by the elasticity of the plastic sleeve. So, when the sleeve gets older and brittle, it forms cracks instead of stretching.

Besides, it sounds like the dealer has already eliminated virtually every other possible alternative. (Conveniently, I should mutter cynically.)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
We had a car that used to do that - we blamed it on the automatic choke (it was in the early days of them and the first car we'd had that had one).

(Tangent: I seem to remember by '62 VW Beetle had one ... way ahead of its time)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is buying an old upright piano (for under $1,000 AUD ) and tuning it better than buying a second hand digital one?

Does the age of the Piano make it that you have to tune it more often?

Need a piano for my 13 year old to start lessons on. Doesn't have to be fancy, but does need to sound reasonable. Don't really know where to start except that I like the idea of a real piano better. [Confused]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Is buying an old upright piano (for under $1,000 AUD ) and tuning it better than buying a second hand digital one?

Need a piano for my 13 year old to start lessons on. Doesn't have to be fancy, but does need to sound reasonable. Don't really know where to start except that I like the idea of a real piano better. [Confused]

If it's in reasonable shape, a real piano is a much better bet. If you prefer the sound now, you'll get sick of the sound of a digital one quicker. A decent old piano in good shape should hold its pitch well - smaller modern ones are sometimes more sensitive simply because they're smaller. On the other hand, good modern pianos are designed to survive modern heating systems.

Look inside - are there any missing strings? Are the felts on the hammers badly worn? Is there rust on the tuning pins (or, worse still, oil - people try to clean the rust off and the cleaning agent makes the pins loose. It will never stay in tune if this has happened). Are any of the tapes in the action broken? Any sign of mice or woodworm?

Try to check the pitch against a tuning fork or pitch pipe, or any reliable instrument (even a recorder). If it's very flat, it may not hold its pitch when tuned. Up to about a semi-tone, you are probably ok, although it might need more than one tuning to get it up to pitch.

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Also very important for a young 'un starting out playing the piano is the action. I've never felt a fake piano that had the action of a real piano, and I've been told (it may not be true for everybody) that it's difficult to go from a keyboard to a real piano and really get that just-right feel. This is all beyond me; I play the guitar and "action" means something entirely different.

But that letting-go feeling you get when pressing a piano key I've never seen (well, felt) in anything other than an honest-to-gosh, felt hammers and steel strings piano.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is buying an old upright piano (for under $1,000 AUD ) and tuning it better than buying a second hand digital one? <snip>
Need a piano for my 13 year old to start lessons on. Doesn't have to be fancy, but does need to sound reasonable.

Bless you for wanting to have a tuned piano for your child to start lessons. I have had many students whose parents thought just having a piano to bang on was enough. These same students would be so confused when having their lesson on my tuned piano, and sometimes even tell me that it sounded "off".

Yes, a real piano is so much better, not only for the touch, but for the ability to learn pedaling correctly. (We hope your piano has three functioning pedals.)

Congratulations to you and your 13-y-o! I hope the lessons go very well, and that you both have many years of enjoyment from this investment! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you muchly davidrinkell, mousethief and jedijudy.

Young Evenson actually wants a digital one and they sound like the much cheaper option. But the issue of pedals and weighting is important....

Might grab a friend of mine and drag them around a couple of second hand old pianos to see if they're half decent.

Thanks again. [Smile]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just speaking for myself, I find digital pianos have the same effect on me as electronic organs. As regards the latter, I am sometimes mightily impressed the first time I hear a particular example, less impressed the second time and hate it the third time. With digital pianos, the feel is wrong and the sound is never right because I know it's an imitation - no matter how good. In the same way, I've never been one for elaborate stereo systems. I know I'm listening to a recording so it's never going to be the real thing, so I'm just as happy with something simple.

Just me....

One point worth considering is that a real piano will retain some resale value. Adigital will wear out quicker and you won't get much for it on resale.

On the other hand, a digital is a lot easier to move about, which may be significant for a young player.

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

And you can play it at 3 a.m. with headphones on and not wake the 'rents.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand... I bought a new touch sensitive five octave keyboard to learn on and it's been fine for the last couple of years. I go to lessons and play on the real piano and my teacher (who is very good) doesn't complain about me hammering it insensitively.

In a year or two (if I carry on), I will need to upgrade to something full sized so I can play all the notes I'll need to but I can't even read those notes yet, so that's a way off!

Make sure you tell your 13 y. o. to persevere! Piano is *hard* and takes ages to get anywhere but it's very, very good for one as musical training.

[Smile]
EJ

Edited- spelling!

[ 20. May 2010, 08:10: Message edited by: Eleanor Jane ]

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone (UK based) have any recommendations for companies who turn your photos into greeting cards? I've used Jessops for both photobooks (very impressive) and calendars (very underwhelmed) and tried to use Tescophoto for photobooks (incredibly slow software, although more functional than the jessops one, I got too frustrated by it to use it) but there are quite a few out there so would welcome others' experience!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Does anyone (UK based) have any recommendations for companies who turn your photos into greeting cards?

Sandemaniac's had good experiences with our local branch of Snappy Snaps (Oxford). Don't know if there's a branch near you, but possibly worth a shot.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Does anyone (UK based) have any recommendations for companies who turn your photos into greeting cards? I've used Jessops for both photobooks (very impressive) and calendars (very underwhelmed) and tried to use Tescophoto for photobooks (incredibly slow software, although more functional than the jessops one, I got too frustrated by it to use it) but there are quite a few out there so would welcome others' experience!

We used Vistaprint for all our wedding related invites such as Save the Date cards, Party invites and Thankyou cards. They have been brilliant - but don't be conned by paying for express delivery. Even if you order the slowest delivery they usually come in a few days.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used Snapfish for calendars, mugs and mousemats and they have been excellent.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, another question: Imagine person A has made desperate attempts to please person B (say, a parent or teacher) and in spite of that, gotten smacked upside the head for not being good enough. What is the proper name of the attitude that says (mentally), "I don't want your good will anymore, in fact I would much prefer it if you go on wrongly considering me the devil you've painted me?" I mean in all considered seriousness, not in a fit of pique. A permanent, settled attitude.

I figure there has to be some fancy German name for it, like Schadenfreude has.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We have found that it is worth asking a piano tuner about an instrument before buying it. Also they sometimes have contacts with people who are selling.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
originally posted by Mousethief
quote:
Okay, this is an automotive question. I hope this is the right place for it.

I once had a car that did this. The problem turned out to be a faulty cylinder head gasket. When the metal expanded a crack in the gasket opened up and the engine wouldn't fire. When it contracted, everything was fine again.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

But when my engine is perfectly hot it runs fine and if stopped and restarted it starts fine -- doesn't sound like the same thing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016