homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A slight diversion (my Volvo 850 turbo was misfiring mut I changed the HT leads and distributor cap and it has improved) and on a less weighty subject ...

...in recent netspeak I am seeing the exclamations "meh" and "huzzah" a lot. I have never heard these spoken out loud (though I would often hear "hurrah"). From whence do they come, with what do they rhyme, are they locality-specific, what the hell are they ... ?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friends and I say "meh" aloud sometimes. Rhymes with "eh" (can't think of any properer words it rhymes with just at the moment). Means roughly - "Oh well", or "It's not how I'd ideally want this, but it's not worth expending any energy on" - a word implying resignation towards something.

"Huzzah" I think you already have sussed - I'd use it as a slightly snazzier-sounding, more triumphant version of "Hurrah".

I'm in the UK.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
What is the proper name of the attitude that says (mentally), "I don't want your good will anymore, in fact I would much prefer it if you go on wrongly considering me the devil you've painted me?"

Contempt?
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think of 'meh' as the noise made by shoulders as they are shrugged.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was talking with a German friend about a religious group there called the "Johanniter" - a bit of Google-fu shows that they are somehow connected to the Knights of St. John, but information seemed surprisingly scanty - does anyone know whether they are associated with any mainstream groupings and what their particularities are?
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Huzzah" has a certain "Rennaisance Faire" feel to it.

"Meh" in action.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:

"Meh" in action.

More 'Tom Brown's Schooldays', I reckon. [Smile]

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Was talking with a German friend about a religious group there called the "Johanniter" - a bit of Google-fu shows that they are somehow connected to the Knights of St. John, but information seemed surprisingly scanty - does anyone know whether they are associated with any mainstream groupings and what their particularities are?

Wikipedia, if not your friend, is at least a reasonable acquaintance to get started with...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
quote:
What is the proper name of the attitude that says (mentally), "I don't want your good will anymore, in fact I would much prefer it if you go on wrongly considering me the devil you've painted me?"

Contempt?
That might be it. Though I think something is still missing. The bit that says "I would in fact be seriously disappointed at this point if you ever pulled your head out of your ass"?

Contempt. You're right.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:

"Meh" in action.

Okay - interesting - I have never heard that (or huzzah) articulated. Ta, y'all.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh is my current favorite word. Especially when my 14 year old says it. Its the most zany, ridiculous, onomatopoeic word ever. [Yipee]

It also conjures up mad penguins for some reason. [Paranoid]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This question is particularly directed to anyone who has ever employed anyone, but I will appreciate answers from anyone who knows!
Have a job I really want. I have talked to the person who will do the hiring and he has given me some reason to hope, but I don't have anything but hopes. However, the job hasn't posted yet. He's sure it will, mind you. I sent him an email about it last Monday after waiting a few weeks for it to post. (That was my only email about it, so far.) He said: "I hope in the next few days. There have been some snags given revenue this year. Keep checking." Should I email him again? And more generally, are there guidelines about when one should bug a potential employer for an answer without annoying them?

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know the answers, but does that mention of 'revenue this year' worry you at all? It would me.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds as if there is an internal struggle between the hiring person and other parts of the organisation (Finance, possibly senior management) as to whether the they can afford to recruit. If it doesn't appear, then he's lost.

So I wouldn't email again, since you will just accentuate the frustration he will doubtless feel.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would worry me more if I weren't already on a contract that expires at the end of July!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

...in recent netspeak I am seeing the exclamations "meh" and "huzzah" a lot. I have never heard these spoken out loud (though I would often hear "hurrah"). From whence do they come, with what do they rhyme, are they locality-specific, what the hell are they ... ?

"Huzzah" was the predecessor to "hurrah" - pronounced as you'd imagine, knowing how 'hurrah' is pronounced. It was particularly used in the navy and in the marines (UK & USA) back in the days of real boats [Biased] . ( bit of blurb to support this ) .

This afternoon I am mostly wondering about "trundle" and "bundle". Where did they come from? They rhyme with each other, but with nothing else. Why? 'Undle' is a nice sound, which isn't it more common?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
This afternoon I am mostly wondering about "trundle" and "bundle". Where did they come from? They rhyme with each other, but with nothing else. Why? 'Undle' is a nice sound, which isn't it more common?

Oh, do you speak Bundlese?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never seen that before - it does show the niceness of the 'undle' sound quite well [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

My favorite one in the series is the Speed Dating one (can't find it online). A guy speaking bundlese goes speed dating. One girl giggles and says, "Is that illegal?"; another one answers, "I totally don't speak French"; until he finds a girl who also speaks bundlese:

He: "Do you bundle?"

She: "For shundle"

He: "Wonderfundle!"

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

A friend on Facebook just came up with another "undle" word -
Rundle
1. a rung of a ladder
2. a wheel, esp of a wheelbarrow
[variant of roundel]
There are three "undles"! Are there any more?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As a matter of interest, when an email-dispatched form says "an electronic signature will suffice" (or words to that effect), what constitutes an electronic signature? Do I scan a handwritten signature, or just type in my name - or compose some idiosyncratic conglomeration of computer-generated images?

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, when I need an electronic signature for doing my taxes (for instance) I had the opportunity to register a series of numbers to indicate that I was the actual person sending the documents. (The same number works each year in this case.)

Does that help? [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ah!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Though I think something is still missing. The bit that says "I would in fact be seriously disappointed at this point if you ever pulled your head out of your ass"?

Contempt. You're right.

Amused contempt. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Though I think something is still missing. The bit that says "I would in fact be seriously disappointed at this point if you ever pulled your head out of your ass"?

Contempt. You're right.

Amused contempt. [Smile]
Disdain?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totally inane question for a totally inanely curious mind.

Why does Chardonnay in a cask not have a strong acidic bite that Chardonnay in a bottle has?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Why does Chardonnay in a cask not have a strong acidic bite that Chardonnay in a bottle has?

Possibly because the Chardonnay in the barrel is (being) oaked, and the particular bottle you are comparing it with is unoaked? The wine is made (and bottled) in both styles - but the oaked (led by the Ozzies) has gained in popularity because it gives a much more mellow, buttery flavour.

OTOH, a good unoaked Chardonnay can have a freshness and varietal character more appealing than the wood-drenched equivalent.

It depends on which two specific wines/vintages you are comparing.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom has a woolly mammoth tooth displayed in her home. My boy kitties like to lick it. For sometimes fifteen minutes at a stretch. Is there some kind of salt or other mineral on fossils that cats like?

(I am not making this up.)

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats are weird. My old Lord Byron used to lick plastic grocery bags. For hours. We had to hide the bags or the sound would wake us in the middle of the night.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were a cat, I would be pretending it was my tooth...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

jedijudy

# 333

Yeah, but shouldn't the cat prefer a giant tooth from a carnivore? (Yum, leftover petrified tree fern leaves.)

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Possibly because the Chardonnay in the barrel is (being) oaked, and the particular bottle you are comparing it with is unoaked?
Unlikely. Here they tell you if its an unwooded chardonnay. These were straight chards.

Perhaps it has something to do with the processing....a mystery indeed!

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Cats are weird. My old Lord Byron used to lick plastic grocery bags. For hours. We had to hide the bags or the sound would wake us in the middle of the night.

[Killing me]

This woolly mammoth tooth conversation is the most bizarre I have heard in a while. [Big Grin]

My cat just likes to lick me. Usually my toes when walking around. Very rough tongues!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Erm, just wanted to share some funny pictures for any catlovers.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a problem with an almost brand new TV I bought about a month ago. Something seems to have happened to the colour balance, there is an overall greenish cast and all the faces are blue. Is this something I can adjust myself or do I need to take it back to the shop? The manual isn't very helpful.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Doesn't sound good or normal Sparrow. I'd take it back.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know where I can buy Filofax-type paper (standard personal organiser size) that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Failing that, does anyone know of another refillable notebook system with reasonably priced refills? It needs to fit into a reasonably large pocket.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two answers:
Buy a hole punch and make your own.

or try

A5 ring binder.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

I've looked at both those possibilities, and unfortunately that hole punch only takes one sheet at a time, and an A5 ring binder is too big for the pocket.

There are more macho hole punches, but they're expensive. I am watching one on ebay though.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Does anyone know where I can buy Filofax-type paper (standard personal organiser size) that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Failing that, does anyone know of another refillable notebook system with reasonably priced refills? It needs to fit into a reasonably large pocket.

Collins do one - you can find them on Amazon.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not sure what you had in mind, but both Amazon and W H Smith have refills for less than a fiver, most seem to be around £2.50.
Drifting Star

# 12799

Trouble is they have very little paper in them. Filofax refills of lined paper are typically £2 for 25 sheets, WH Smith's own brand are about the same for 35 sheets. And that's for roughly A6 sized paper.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Trouble is they have very little paper in them. Filofax refills of lined paper are typically £2 for 25 sheets, WH Smith's own brand are about the same for 35 sheets. And that's for roughly A6 sized paper.

Nothing to stop you cutting your own paper to fit - although there comes a time when you ask yourself if it is worth the trouble!

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

I think that's where I'll end up (I do have a guillotine [Big Grin] ), as long as I can get a decent 6 hole punch for a not-indecent price!

There don't seem to be any pocket sized, two hole organisers which would allow me to use a normal hole punch.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend needs photographic ID to fly internally in the UK. She doesn't have a passport, so applied for a photo driving license a month ago. DVLA tell her they have a backlog and her application is lost somewhere in the backlog.

Are there any other forms of photographic ID she could get immediately? She needs it by Friday. Easyjet say they'll accept anything which includes her photo, name and address.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your friend able to get the kind of ID needed to buy drinks in a pub? I don't know if enough details are on the card but would that be acceptable to Easyjet?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. The usual proof-of-age card here is the Young Scot card for those aged up to 26. My friend is in her late 30s. Do you know of another proof-of-age card scheme?

She's getting desperate.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could she turn up with two ids. One photo and the other a bank account or utility bill to her current address?

Getting photo idea can be quite easy, getting something like this should do it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

How about getting a passport applicaton form (from the post office), filling it in, getting a photo and getting a qualified person (e.g. vicar) to certify her identify as required for the passport application? Don't send the form off but take it with her to the airport. Plus other documents proving her address (utility bill etc).

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Thanks, Jengie. I don't think she's got time to get the Proof card - it says that urgent applications are processed in 3 days. However, I've phoned her and she's looking into it.

Any other suggestions?

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Thanks, Sparrow, I'll just phone her with that suggestion, too.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016