homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A young person's railcard?

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used tahini to make humous tonight (Which I haven't done in ages and ages) and can't remember how to keep it (and it doesn't say on the jar!)

Does the tahini jar go in the fridge or is it ok in the cupboard? Does it need to be "eaten within 3 days"? (no chance).

How long will the humous last? In all likelihood it will all get eaten tomorrow but if it doesn't will it last til the next day?

Thanks!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you've opened the tahini jar then put it in the fridge. Anything lasts longer that way and tahini will last a while if securely sealed and in the fridge. The hommous should be good for c. 3 days in the fridge, possibly longer.
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Ariel - you're a star. Humous tastes yum and all bits in fridge [Smile]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished a large container of home-made humous. No tahini, though, I dislike it. It takes me about a week to eat, but it is so lovely on toast in the morning. Or as a bedtime snack.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, a technical question about the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico. It doesn't seem to fit on any of the threads devoted to that.

Why does the oil keep coming out? I thought that when companies drilled for oil, they had to pump seawater into the well in order to force the oil out? Am I completely mistaken, or does the oil come out by itself at first but later slow down, or what? It seems odd that it should keep going - surely it's not under pressure?

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
No tahini, though, I dislike it.

Me too - too bitter for me. I replace it with peanut butter. Cheaper, as well.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moth:
OK, a technical question about the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico. It doesn't seem to fit on any of the threads devoted to that.

Why does the oil keep coming out? I thought that when companies drilled for oil, they had to pump seawater into the well in order to force the oil out? Am I completely mistaken, or does the oil come out by itself at first but later slow down, or what? It seems odd that it should keep going - surely it's not under pressure?

You're right about the seawater being pumped in to force the oil up. That gets things going. Normally, this continues and is regulated to control the pressures and the subsequent flow of oil. The BP well had a blowout. That's when the pressures get out of line and the well casing/pipe ruptures. I've been under the impression that it's now like a siphon hose in a gas tank. Once you get it started, it will keep going until you do something to change the pressures. That's what the relief well is supposed to do.

IANAG - I am not a geologist [Razz]

[ 15. June 2010, 14:05: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moth:

Why does the oil keep coming out?

Because the pressure of the rock on top of the oil squeezes it up. Also its quite hot down there.

quote:

I thought that when companies drilled for oil, they had to pump seawater into the well in order to force the oil out?

No, those enhanced recovery techniques are comparatively new. Originally oil drilling relied on natural pressure which might get about a third of the oil out. Now they pump stuff in and can get maybe two thirds. (water, CO2, mud, "mud", all sorts of stuff)

quote:

Am I completely mistaken, or does the oil come out by itself at first but later slow down, or what?

Yes, exactly. Though it can take a long time to slow down - there are holes in the ground in Azerbaijan that have had oil coming out of them for centuries.

quote:

It seems odd that it should keep going - surely it's not under pressure?

Maybe about 1000 atmospheres. That's why its so difficult to stop it.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. I found The Oil Drum which seems to explain it quite well. Ken's explanation was particularly helpful, and just what I wanted to know! Thanks to Monkeylizard too!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having honey with tahini takes away the bitterness and makes it delicious - though no doubt increases the calorie count!
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do England fans sing the theme to the Great Escape? Was it to tick off the Germans?

(if only we could hear the singing properly this time round <sigh>. I hate those bloody vuvuzelas)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
(if only we could hear the singing properly this time round <sigh>. I hate those bloody vuvuzelas)

[High-tech] solution...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, speaking of matters spherically balled, why are sports teams called Celtic apparently pronounced "Seltic', while the ethnicity remains "Keltic"?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
And, speaking of matters spherically balled, why are sports teams called Celtic apparently pronounced "Seltic', while the ethnicity remains "Keltic"?

I was going to suggest they need to be taken with a grain of salt.
[Big Grin]

However as I know nothing of them really, except odd mentions in books occasionally, and as I couldn't care less about the game they represent, I thought perhaps I'd better not.

I'll collect me coat on the way out.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, utterly helpful [Roll Eyes]

[Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AIUI, Seltic is the earlier pronounciation of that spelling (following the C is soft before e rule), but the ethnicity/language group is Keltic because they've paid attention to the fact that it comes from the Greek Keltoi. The think that bugs me is when I say I did 'Celtic studies' with a hard K and they come back to me about 'Seltic' studies. I've resisted the temption to comment that I didn't study the football team.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read that Richard Burton once replied to someone claimed 'We're both Selts' with 'No sir, I am a Selt. You are a Sunt.'

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken, thanks. I learned something new today.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hospitalera:
For my sins (or merits?) I am the webmaster of our church web site. We are an Expat community of the CoE, means a few people dispersed over a big area. Here my questions:

What is the best method / CMS to facilitate an online community on weekdays (forum? phbb? smf?)
Do you know of any church webmaster forum that is more about practicalities than about doctrine?

Thanks for all your help, SY

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably a stupid question, but I have a couple of large 'throws', one over the sofa and the other over a small table on which stands my tv.

Both are quite dusty and mucky. Not hard dried-in stains, just general muck, dust and pong from my living room.

They say don't machine wash, so what is the best way to clean them?

They also say 'dry flat' but I can't think of anything to lay them flat whilst they dry (as I say, they are large!) so what is the worst that could happen if I put them up on the washing line?

Thanks.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, when and why did people first take cats and dogs into their homes as household pets?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

And why is genre fiction like sci-fi, fantasy and horror regarded as "young adult" in my local library when other genre fiction (romance, say) is not?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Probably a stupid question, but I have a couple of large 'throws', one over the sofa and the other over a small table on which stands my tv.

Both are quite dusty and mucky. Not hard dried-in stains, just general muck, dust and pong from my living room.

They say don't machine wash, so what is the best way to clean them?

They also say 'dry flat' but I can't think of anything to lay them flat whilst they dry (as I say, they are large!) so what is the worst that could happen if I put them up on the washing line?

Thanks.

You can put soapy water in your bathtub, put the throws in, and walk up and down on them (barefoot, of course).

I wouldn't put them over a single line. If you have two or more parallel lines, put them over all of them. Otherwise, use the shower rod in your bathroom.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's going to depend on what they're made of (the throws) but I'm guessing you've got something there they expect you to handwash (I'm guessing this on the basis of "dry flat" which is what appears on basically every handwash thing I own).

There are AFAIK two reasons why they tell you to handwash something. The first is that it is not colorfast, so if you put it in the machine all the color will come running out and it will look crappy, as will anything you are fool enough to wash with it. Of course, if you handwash something non-colorfast all the color will STILL come leaking out, but I guess this is supposed to be neater in the bathtub. Or something.

The second reason, and this is probably the REAL reason behind the note on your throws, is that certain material just doesn't take well to the pulling and pushing of a washing machine. It goes right out of shape, or even shreds apart. And if you dry it any way but flat, it stretches further out of shape under its own wet weight.

Here's what I'd suggest for you--

First of all, if you have any fears about your throws not being colorfast, get a wet white rag and scrub it across the throw. If the color comes off on the wet rag, you're right, it's going to run. Either get a professional cleaner to handle it, or at least make sure your bathtub is porcelain/steel before following the directions that follow (to avoid staining the bathtub permanently pink/purple/whatever).

Assuming all's well, get some gentle soap/detergent meant for handwashing. Fill your bathtub with tepid water (not hot, things might shrink) about, oh, 1/3 of the way full. Enough to submerge the throw in. Add the detergent and swish it around a bit. Then go get the throw, unfold it as much as you can and drop it into the bathtub.

Take your shoes, socks and trousers off and climb in. Gently squish your way back and forth across the throw, so the soapy water gets a chance to moosh through it and get rid of some of the dirt. Do this for a few minutes or until you get bored, and turn the throw over occasionally so you do the footsie walk on as much of it as you can. Sing an aria.

Now drain out the dirty water and refill again with clean tepid water. Do some more walking and turning. You are helping to rinse the thing now. You will probably want to rinse it more than once, depending on how much soap you can tell is left in the thing. I usually rinse till I can't see soap bubbles caught in the fabric, but whatever.

Drain the water for the last time. Leave the throw lying in the bathtub for a few minutes while you ponder your strategy.

Here's the problem: You have a big heavy wet thing that will undoubtedly stretch all the way to China if you hang it over a washing line (and it had better be a heavy duty line well fastened, too!). The first question is, Do you care? If the answer is No, squish as much water as you can out of the throw while it's still lying in the bathtub (time and bare feet are both useful, though if it lies in there until you see mildew, you've waited too long). Then haul the thing out and go hang it over your line--or even better, two or three parallel lines that can handle the weight better. Heck, if the lines are sufficiently far away from each other, you'll BE drying it flat or nearly so.

Now, let's suppose you DO care (or don't have a strong drying line). What can you do? I'm sure you don't have a floor large enough, you'd have mentioned it. I have before now used a big-ass washer dryer and simply thrown the wet thing over the top of it and let it drape down. The good thing about steel appliances are they don't take any harm from having something damp draped over them. You can also hang it over a shower door enclosure, a kitchen table, a parked car, or a neighbor who annoys you. Even a steel railing will do in a pinch.

No, this isn't drying perfectly flat, but they don't really expect that of you anyway. What they're trying to get you to do is to make sure that no one area of the heavy wet throw is hanging totally unsupported, because the water weight will stretch it out. If most of it is supported and only little sections are hanging down, you can minimize any problems by coming back and squeezing the water out of those hangy-downy bits by hand every few minutes.

Is this all a pain in the ass? Yes. How do I know? Bitter experience. Moral of the story? Buy machine wash next time. [Razz]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, I forgot. Put the trousers back on before you go outside to drape it over a car or what have you.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or give to a friendly mother-type. She'll look after it for you.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Razz]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the smiles, Papio and Lamb Chopped.

One improvement on the "dry flat" part is to use an old shower curtain or other plastic sheet to cover your table/bed/floor and then put the damp throw on that.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Also, when and why did people first take cats and dogs into their homes as household pets?

Dogs came first and they've been with humans for a very long time - since about the Stone Age. It seemed a good bargain: the dogs could hunt and stand guard and in return the humans would give them shelter, warmth and food. It's impossible to say how it first happened: maybe through finding lost or abandoned puppies and taking them in so they became tame. The pet function increased as the need for hunting and guarding decreased, and thus the specialized breeds started to develop as people bred them for particular looks, sizes, colours or dispositions.

Cats came later on. As you can tell because they're not as domesticated as dogs. Again the contract seemed beneficial on both sides: the cats could also hunt mice, rats, etc and in return would be given food, shelter and warmth. In the same way, cats also started to be bred for looks, etc, but not as much so as dogs: there's more difference between a chihuahua and a Great Dane than between breeds of cats.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another trick for drying is to get the largest towel you can and an old shower curtain. Lay down shower curtain, put on top towel, making as few folds as possible lay rug so it is entirely on the towel. If you have spare towels placing these between folds will help. Gently roll towel(s) & wrap into a swiss roll like sausage with wrap as the jam. Unroll towel(s) & wrap. Remove towels which are now sopping wet and hang them outside on the line. Move shower curtain with now drier wrap to place where it can dry relatively flat.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Thanks for the smiles, Papio and Lamb Chopped.

One improvement on the "dry flat" part is to use an old shower curtain or other plastic sheet to cover your table/bed/floor and then put the damp throw on that.

If you have access to a garden with a lawn, wait for a dry day (or after a couple of dry days) and spread it flat on the grass on top of a layer of newspaper.

[ 18. June 2010, 11:00: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Oops, I forgot. Put the trousers back on before you go outside to drape it over a car or what have you.

What? And spoil all the fun! [Big Grin]

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

quote:

Nah, it's Papio. I expect the neighbors are acclimated to seeing him wandering about the front lawn with no trousers.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
quote:

Nah, it's Papio. I expect the neighbors are acclimated to seeing him wandering about the front lawn with no trousers.
It's cos my legs are so sexy.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Oh, and thanks to everyone who actually engaged their brain and/or answered my question [Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone tell me the origin and significance of the number 94 in Private Eye?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Thanks, Ship's Celticist and others ...

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, question on swimming here.

I've found a nice little outdoor pool recently where I now keep going for a swim, and I'm quite enjoying it.

The problem is, like I've noticed on earlier occasions with swimming, that I tend to get rather knackered after I do my thing there. Now, I am aware of the clear physical effort involved in swimming, and that you work all your muscles and that it's basically very good for you (and I feel it is). However, how do I counter the sudden exhaustion a while after swimming?

What's the first thing you do after you're done? Stock up on electrolytes? Do that as well during the action? Have some quick carbs? Or rather fat and protein? What can I do to avoid that sinking feeling once back on dry land? And is there anything in particular you should eat or drink before you start off?

Thanks, sporty Shippies! [Cool]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

These days I swim 5 kms most days (there - I just had to get that in again [Roll Eyes] ). Fluids is the main thing - obviously hard to take in whilst actually swimming. Sports doctors tell me electrolyte drinks are basically sugar water - or, more to the point, that if you're not Mark Spitz or Ian Thorpe you don't need them: expensive urine. But rehydrate: you sweat a whole heap under the surface of the water without knowing it. I'd say at least a litre in the half hour after swimming, no matter what distance you do.

You'll find incidentally, that once you can do 250 metres on the trot you can do anything, pretty much. Needless to say I don't swim a distance like 5kms at the same speed I do a 25, 50 or 100 metre set! The first time I got into it as an adult I nearly died (I felt) at the end of a 50 metre length, but now it's genuinely easy and relaxing.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps this should go on the Recipes thread, but here goes. Can someone recommend a decent non-milk "milk" that I can use on cereal in the morning? I have recently started taking Synthroid, and it has to be taken first thing in the a.m. with an hour elapsed before having anything containing calcium. On days when I'm rushing around, this totally messes up my breakfast routine. Of course I'm making different things entirely, but on some days I just want my Cheerios and berries! It occurred to me that perhaps I could use some type of soy milk or similar, but a look at all the varieties in the supermarket sent me running away in confusion. So, soy fans, what's good? Should I try regular, or vanilla flavored, or maybe rice milk, or almond milk? I'm at a loss.

Just don't tell me to get up an hour earlier. [Razz]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
So, soy fans, what's good? Should I try regular, or vanilla flavored, or maybe rice milk, or almond milk?

I don't like soy milk, but vanilla flavored rice milk on Cheerios, with a handful of berries, is really very good.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almond milk is too watery. If you can stand the coconut flavour, a little coconut milk in rice milk or almond milk fills out the "mouth feel" nicely. Soy milk is too bitter to me.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Over here there are two main kinds of soya milk, one unsweetened, and the other sweetened, usually with apple juice. It's quite pleasant. Some brands do have added calcium, though, so you'd need to look out for that.

If you can't get sweetened soya milk where you are, you might try buying the apple juice separately and mixing a little of it in to the unsweetened (and hopefully calcium-free) kind, to your taste.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you add sweet to bitter, you don't get unbitter, you just get sweetened bitter. I just don't think I'm meant to drink soy milk.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
These days I swim 5 kms most days (there - I just had to get that in again [Roll Eyes] [Was new to me, Sir. Congrats! [Big Grin] - moi]). Fluids is the main thing - obviously hard to take in whilst actually swimming. [...] I'd say at least a litre in the half hour after swimming, no matter what distance you do.

You'll find incidentally, that once you can do 250 metres on the trot you can do anything, pretty much. Needless to say I don't swim a distance like 5kms at the same speed I do a 25, 50 or 100 metre set! The first time I got into it as an adult I nearly died (I felt) at the end of a 50 metre length, but now it's genuinely easy and relaxing.

Thank you, Zappa. More fluids immediately after swimming, then. I've always had quite some water before even starting: definitely can't have that thirsty feeling while you're on a roll. And I do have a water (or, ehem, electrolytes...) bottle nearby during the swim, though rarely use it then.

Interestingly, I've had the same comment on electrolytes from my GP. I feel, however, that they're ok sometimes: I think it's perhaps less the fast carbs (i.e. sugar) that help, but the minerals and perhaps vitamins: I seem to recuperate faster. Guess it's the isotonic effect there. Drinking plain water doesn't help with the electrolyte imbalance after sports.

I've also checked out a few links now (as one does when asking a question here [Hot and Hormonal] ), and in addition to the fluids you suggest, some say a combination of light carbs and protein could be advisable as well, like a chocolate milk drink.

First step then, plenty of fluids, 2nd light carb/protein combo, and then I guess the real one, as a decent light-ish meal to refuel on carbs and protein and all the other goodies. - Does that make sense?

Thanks again. Hope all goes swimmingly. [Smile]

[ETA: Agree re the initial effort, like 250m - the most I've done is 1.5km in one go so far. If I swim only occasionally, I try to do 1km. - I'm fairly impressed, Zapps!]

[ 04. July 2010, 08:17: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, I've heard around that if you've got anything going on with your thyroid to be careful what soy products you consume, as something in the soy interferes. Apologies for not having any more solid info.

Now for a question of my own: Are there any low-tech things I can do instead of investing in a dehumidifier? Sort of the opposite of putting bowls of water around the rooms to humidify during the dryness of heated indoors during winter.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joyeux, have you tried any of this stuff? It's quite commonly used here in hot and humid Florida.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re soy:

1) I have hypothyroidism. At one time, the advice was to be careful about soy...but my endocrinologist has since said not to worry about that. I'm not sure if that's due to new research, or new steps in her own thinking. I take in a lot of soy, and my thyroid tests don't seem to be affected.

***BTW, some people have "sub-clinical" hypothyroidism, and need different doses than average. (Moi.) Once you get your test scores within normal parameters, you may still find it's a good idea to increase your dosage to help with your symptoms. FWIW.

2) Soy milk: I avoid the low-fat kind--IME tastes like badly-flavored water. I go for the vit./min. enriched kind (where the calcium is about 30% of the US RDA). I try to avoid the sweetened kind, since I don't need the sugar--but sometimes stores are out of unsweetened. I usually get several boxes of the off-the-shelf kind, rather than one, big, refrigerated carton, so I will have some on hand for a while. Since you're just getting started, you might want to buy one or two boxes to begin with, until you know if you like it.

***Soy has phyto-estrogen (phyto = plant-based). This affects women's hormones, FYI.***

There are many good brands, like Pearl (put out by Kikkoman, IIRC), Silk, West Soy, Trader Joe's, etc.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Joyeux, have you tried any of this stuff? It's quite commonly used here in hot and humid Florida.

I swear by that stuff. I am allergic to mildew, and I use Damp-Rid in all my closets and drawers. It can get quite humid here in the mountains in summer.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016