homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Joyeux, have you tried any of this stuff? It's quite commonly used here in hot and humid Florida.

I swear by that stuff. I am allergic to mildew, and I use Damp-Rid in all my closets and drawers. It can get quite humid here in the mountains in summer.

Moo

But would you own an Airedale?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Perhaps this should go on the Recipes thread, but here goes. Can someone recommend a decent non-milk "milk" that I can use on cereal in the morning?

Mamacita, the best tasting I've found was Edensoy blend. It's a mixture of rice and soy milk which makes it naturally sweetened by the rice and easier to digest than just soy on its own.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question: Is there a way to reinforce the knees on little boy's trousers other than adding an exterior patch? The Boy seems to be wearing the knees out quite quickly these days, which is alright for summer, because I've been chopping the trousers into shorts, but that won't work for the cooler months. I'd also like to find a way to keep him from wearing them out before they need patching. If I add a patch on the inside, would that work, or will the outer still wear out?
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it might prevent some tears, but not ordinary wear through.

My son ripped out one knee and the seamstress friend who repaired it did something that looks a lot like quilting--line upon line of stitching over the torn area. I don't think it's a patch, but maybe some kind of reinforcement. I will say that that knee is holding up beautifully.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My older daughter used to go through the knees of her trousers very fast. My solution was to put an iron-on patch on the inside when the trousers were new. It worked very well.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right I need facts and figures.

What I am looking to is the most sensible way to heat three offices, with a fair amount of draft, with portable heating devices. The central heating system pump won't push the heat to them any longer and the lease is only short term. At the moment the method is using fan heaters. I suspect there is a better method.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To provide numbers, we would need numbers.

But I'd actually like to propose a somewhat radical suggestion: have everybody wear sweaters and change the desks for standing access. It's supposed to work surprisingly well for mild heating needs.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an American University, if a full-time student were to undertake a 36 credit hour program, how long will it take (in semesters/years) to complete it, assuming that the student were to take on a reasonable course-load (working hard but without being crazy!)?

Lib x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
To provide numbers, we would need numbers.

But I'd actually like to propose a somewhat radical suggestion: have everybody wear sweaters and change the desks for standing access. It's supposed to work surprisingly well for mild heating needs.

This is a work situation, we already will be in sweaters, in drafty offices, sash windows no secondary glazing (yes I am thinking of putting up temporary stuff). We are supposed to use fan heaters at present.

The problem is we are moving out in about a year.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

My office is about 10ft by 11 ft area wise and about 10ft tall. Window 4ft by 5ft. Office next door is much the same size perhaps a bit smaller say 9ft instead of 11ft and the third office is likely to be about double that say 13ft by 15 ft. There is a corridor which is about 3ft wide and 20ft long. I am not sure if it is 4 or 5 people using the space.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
What I am looking to is the most sensible way to heat three offices

You could try this. Fan heaters (space heaters) may be the best option, given your limited time remaining. I've seen some hefty space heaters that can really crank out the heat. I've had good luck with some ceramic models. Electric base board heaters may work, but they're really jsut space heaters w/o the fan.

Anything else would probably involve installing duct work. Could you try to cut the drafts by covering the windows with a 6 mil or so clear plastic, keeping the office doors closed, and covering the sweep of the door with something like this?

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
In an American University, if a full-time student were to undertake a 36 credit hour program, how long will it take (in semesters/years) to complete it, assuming that the student were to take on a reasonable course-load (working hard but without being crazy!)?

Lib x

I don't think you can take more than 3 courses per full semester (fall and spring) as a full-time student without going insane. That is 9 credit hours, if each course is 3 credits. If you took no courses in the summer, it would take 2 years to finish.

At the university where I teach as an adjunct, there are 2 summer sessions, each 6 weeks long. I teach a graduate-level course during one of the 6 week summer sessions, and it completely takes over my life (I also have a full time job). I've had students who are working full time AND taking 2 classes in a summer session. That's nuts. I absolutely would not advise that. Summer courses are quite intense, even if you are a full-time student.

Will you be doing a practicum or an internship during your program? That could cut into the number of courses you take or the amount of time you have to spend studying.

I'd say it will take at least 2 years.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought 12 credit hours was the minimum to be considered full time. I averaged 16 hours per semester as a full time undergraduate student. If the courses are offered at the right time, and the student isn't doing much socializing, 36 hours can be done in 2 semesters. Maybe a summer class too.

It also depends on the level of the course work. I loaded up my Freshman year with 18 or 20 hours each semester since most of those are easy classes. That left me doing 12-14 hours per semester in my Senior year. If it's harder work, you may be looking at three 12 hour semesters.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with monkey lizard: 12-16 credits is the normal full-time student load anyplace I've known. But that's per semester, so perhaps you're asking based on a total of 36 credits per year, including summer sessions?

Not all classes are offered in every semester/session, so when trying to fit everything into a very comnpressed time frame, you'll run into problems where you need a particular course in order to take a follow-up one, and it isn't available in the session where you had planned to take it.

Or the class filled up before you were able to register for it and the prof could care less that you needed it to graduate and his refusal to let you in meant you would need an additional semester of college for a single class.

Voila, all your intricate planning is ruined.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or are we talking grad school?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might also make a difference whether we're talking quarter system or semester system. I did both, but can't recall the details now--I think 16 was normal for quarter system, 9 for (graduate) semester.

Your best bet is to consult your school. Some schools actually refuse to let you take much over a certain course load, on the grounds I suppose that they shouldn't be complicit in your suicide.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To further complicate the course-load... do any of the classes require zero-credit labs or other peripheral classes? At my university, for undergrad, it costs the same per semester whether you have 12 or 17 hours, or anywhere in between. There's a charge for overloading (per every credit hour over 17). Minimum to be considered a full-time undergrad is 12 hours here, too.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Oh gee, Joyeux, good point! As engineering majors, we all had zero-credit labs, which took up a huge amount of time, both in the actual lab and in attempting to figure out and write out the results.

And I was doing this back in the waning days of slide rules; I was pretty proficient in logarithms, polar-to-rectangular conversion and a bunch of other stuff I can no longer do.

It obviously isn't true of all majors and/or programs, but it definitely something to watch out for. I can easily see it happening in Fine Arts, Psychology, even maybe Literature or Languages (given a truly devoted instructor), so it is definitely a consideration.

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the information. Although I am less confused about some areas, I have to admit I am more confused about others!

I keep thinking I should really get a Masters, and seeing as I'll get some fee-reduction from being married to a faculty member and we'll actually be in one place for a few years this seems like the perfect opportunity. So I am trying to get my head around it all.

In all honesty though I really don't think I have the motivation to do it, so it's probably just a pipe-dream. Nice idea in theory, but I don't want to do the hard work to achieve it. (This is my personal life motto which has served me well so far!)

But thanks for the explanation, it has helped.

Lib x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Masters programs can vary from school to school. You can't usually take as many hours at a time because the work load is usually much higher per class. A traditional daytime masters program can take about 3 calendar years. Many are now offered in "compressed" formats, where you'll take one class at a time one or two nights per week or all day Saturday for several weeks, then move on to the next class. Students are in class once or twice a week, but you'll be working on reading/assignments pretty much every night. Some classes are easier than others. I did mine that way and it took 21 months to finish 36 hours, then an additional 5 months for the last 10 or 12 hours to upgrade it to a different masters degree.

Don't give up on it if you have an opportunity to do it.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question: In American TV programs and movies, teenagers and young adults are sometimes shown having triangular pennants on their bedroom walls, which I believe represent schools/colleges (or possibly sports teams), presumably the school/college the person attends or attended. Is there any greater significance to these? Are they still popular and do people 'in real life' have them?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not American, but in Australia (state of Victorian anyway) these are used for interschool team sports awards. The whole team gets one between them which is usually displayed in the school. School teams get them for winning or being runner up in their zone, region and if they get that far, state competions. They might get some sort of trophy or engraved plaque if they win the state finals too.

Schools usually display all the penants they have won over x years in a row in the gym or a corridor rather than individually. I guess they throw them out when there's not room for new ones as smaller schools seem to have a lot of older penants, while bigger schools just display those from recent years.

I don't think there is a greater significance to the type you're thinking of. They're just like putting up posters or banners of the team you support. But US posters can correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
// triangular pennants // Are they still popular and do people 'in real life' have them?

Just checked the latest catalog from daughter's university, and yes they still offer a pennant. However, they offer 35 pages of other stuff, about 15 items per page.... FWIW in my "real life" I see alot of car decals, garden flags, t-shirts, coffee cups, lamps, throws, keychains etc for various teams/colleges. But no pennants.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pennants were popular in the U.S. in the 50s -- I haven't seen them in ages.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me neither. (currently employed on a university campus) I don't even remember seeing them in the bookstore the last time I went in!

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've been replaced with those stupid super-sized "number one" hands, mebbe.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

...and car flags, MT. Don't forget those.

Pennants have mostly been phased out and replaced with banners for hanging in school gymnasiums or stadiums. As Mili said, the small ones as seen on TV are all but extinct. Old original ones can be valuable as collectors' items.

As for why a large school may have fewer banners than a small school, powerhouse schools may only show off their big championships. Others put up a banner anytime they make the post season tournaments. A school that has joined the former group recently, may stop displaying lesser banners from decades ago, but nobody ever stops displaying a national championship banner, no matter how old it gets. The banners are replaced as needed, so one stating "National Champions 1949" may be brand new to match the current decor.

--------------------

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At some point a decision was made to leave all the WWII pill-boxes around the place . . . what was the rationale?

Driving past a gold course with one on it made me think.

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they were too expensive to get rid of - being made of reinforced concrete and all, they were built to last?
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A gold course? Ooooh, do tell! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
A gold course? Ooooh, do tell! [Smile]

Luton, just off the M1, Junction 10.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, I always thought the Gold Course was in west Africa. Unless you mean the Golf Coast, which is in Spain.

The pill-boxes can join the Martello Tower and the round tower as a reminder that not everyone getting off a boat on your beach is friendly.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
History. Heritage. The tourist attraction of the future. Remembrance. And awful warning. Condemned to repeat it and all that.

And here in England most of them have been removed. I hope we hang on to the ones we have left.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a website dedicated to this part of our history. Apparently of about 28,000 constructed some 6,000 remain. There are one or two in my area that I see regularly. Sometimes I imagine the circumstances in which they might have been put into use - and give thanks that they were not.

Here is one I see regularly (bottom of the page). And here is another one (or on Google Maps)

[ 14. July 2010, 10:53: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention dragon's teeth, including these, which appear to be part of the defences of a strategically important ruined abbey (scroll to the bottom).

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sewanee_angel
Shipmate
# 2908

- Posted      Profile for sewanee_angel   Email sewanee_angel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do some people hang up little baggies of water to keep away mosquitoes? Does it actually work? If so, why/how?
Posts: 598 | From: a van down by the river | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Not to mention dragon's teeth, including these, which appear to be part of the defences of a strategically important ruined abbey (scroll to the bottom).

Here's a suggestion as to why.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

quote:
Originally posted by sewanee_angel:
Why do some people hang up little baggies of water to keep away mosquitoes? Does it actually work? If so, why/how?

I've heard that it's for flies, not mosquitoes or any other bugs. Just houseflies. It's supposed to work like a lense catching the sunlight and make moving patterns around the area. Houseflies, so the theory goes, don't like motion because they're basically prey to so many other critters. It doesn't make sense to me because I can swing my hand at a fly and it will keep coming back. Motion doesn't seem to bother it at all.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman was described as a "Biblewoman" in the 1881 census. I have a good idea of what Biblewomen did. However, in the 1891 census she's described as a "Scripture Reader." Was this another term for "Biblewoman"? Or was it promotion? Or was it a different occupation?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
History. Heritage. The tourist attraction of the future. Remembrance. And awful warning. Condemned to repeat it and all that.

And here in England most of them have been removed. I hope we hang on to the ones we have left.

Here here
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

Is it true that on the first lunar landing that had to continually correct the trajectory of the craft after it left Earth and only managed to land withing the 500 mile target area by a matter of yards?

[ 16. July 2010, 13:05: Message edited by: NJA ]

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
Is it true that on the first lunar landing that had to continually correct the trajectory of the craft after it left Earth and only managed to land withing the 500 mile target area by a matter of yards?

Erm, sorta. The original landing site was found to be too rocky as Armstrong and Aldrin took the Eagle in to land; as they passed over the Sea of Tranquility, they were running low on fuel and, just before they would have had to abort, suddenly found an open spot to put 'er down.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been collecting small (half bottle size) wine bottles for making sloe gin in later this year. Some of them the labels come off easily when soaked in water, others are very stubborn. Is there anything I can use to get them off - I thought I read somewhere there was something that got the sticky bits off.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

Warm water and dish soap gets a lot of that stuff off. After that, try an ammonia based cleaner. Tape a sponge soaked in it to the bottle and let it saok for 1/2 hour or so. Still no luck? Try a hand cleaner with pumice. Any auto parts shop will have it.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find that white spirit usually works. Then plenty of hot soapy water to remove the white spirit!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nail varnish remover works well on sticky labels.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a brand called Sticky Stuff Remover. It's pretty good, but not necessarily better than any other suggestion here.

And it smells horrible - not recommended for working with for too long at a time.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dizzy
Apprentice
# 1294

- Posted      Profile for dizzy   Email dizzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just used WD40 for getting sticky labels off some mirrors, that worked well, as has the sticky stuff remover when I've used that in other situations.
Posts: 44 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other trick for labels can be filling the bottle with hot/nearly boiling water. You often find the glue melts with heat and the label peels off.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil also works on sticky stuff.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016